The King's Speech

8.3

1. Apr 13, 2011
    This one was as good as advertised.
    NOT an action movie by a long shot.
    This movie gives this Royal a sense of human frailty to the viewer.
    Firth and Rush do a phenomenal job!
    Great script, great acting what this movie needed was a few more sunny days, but that is England's weather for you.
  2. May 31, 2011
    The transformation of Firth's character in the final act is amazing to watch! We go from an incredibly terrified Royal to a very proud man. Rush gives another excellent performance, perhaps better than Firth?
  3. Jul 12, 2011
    The King's Speech is a wonderful film about a man finding his voice when the world needed to hear it most, but that's only the plot as it may be described at a more superficial level. Deeper themes on friendship, confidence, self-worth, love, respect, and hard work are all highlighted in this touching and powerful instant classic that's sure to speak to every viewer who has ever sufferedThe King's Speech is a wonderful film about a man finding his voice when the world needed to hear it most, but that's only the plot as it may be described at a more superficial level. Deeper themes on friendship, confidence, self-worth, love, respect, and hard work are all highlighted in this touching and powerful instant classic that's sure to speak to every viewer who has ever suffered through any physical, mental, or emotional shortcomings and fought to overcome. Supported by a witty, meaningful, and self-assured script; strong direction; great sets and costuming; seamless performances; and impeccable intangibles; The King's Speech is a complete film, a modern masterpiece with old fashioned sensibilities and a timeless message that's sure to live on for decades to come. Expand
  4. Jul 3, 2011
    This was a very good movie. Thought it focuses more on character developement over plot, that's understandable because it's based off a true story. I'm glad it won best picture.
  5. Jun 17, 2011
    Fantastic, this is movie making at it's best. The acting is impeccable, from the leads to all the supporting. Colin Firth gives the quintessential George IV. Rush and Carter are tremendous Of course these fine performances would be wasted without David Seidler's screenplay and Tom Hooper's light hand directing such fine stars. He allows them to fully immerse themselves in their charactersFantastic, this is movie making at it's best. The acting is impeccable, from the leads to all the supporting. Colin Firth gives the quintessential George IV. Rush and Carter are tremendous Of course these fine performances would be wasted without David Seidler's screenplay and Tom Hooper's light hand directing such fine stars. He allows them to fully immerse themselves in their characters and brings the audience in with their performances. Brilliant. Expand
  6. Jul 20, 2011
    The incredible acting of Firth and Rush compel us through this interesting and touching historical drama. From the simplistic beauty of the sets to the enchanting score, this is monumental cinema and a true example at how the British Film Industry is far from death - it is, in fact, at its pinnacle.
  7. Aug 11, 2011
    This film is just amazing, a great performance from Colin Firth which was definitely worthy of his Oscar. Also an outstanding performance from Geoffrey Rush, the supporting rolls are also done exceptionally well to, like the rolls portrayed by Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, and Michael Gambon. This film is one of the best I've ever seen.
  8. Dec 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Displaying a gorgeous cinematography, mesmerizing performances and an engaging story, "The King's Speech" is certainly a crowd pleaser. But will all that appeal compensate the predictable and simple plot? I think so. Even tough there's no challenge situation that can impress us, Colin Firth is perfect at making us care about the King's situation. Expand
  9. Aug 20, 2011
    This movie was absolutely fantastic. Heartwarming, with an unforgettable academy award winning performance from colin firth, and a very funny and charming geoffry rush, along with the also charming helena bonahm carter, The King's Speech succeeds with a great script from david seidler, three brilliant performances, and beautiful direction from tom hooper. The 2nd best film of 2010 besidesThis movie was absolutely fantastic. Heartwarming, with an unforgettable academy award winning performance from colin firth, and a very funny and charming geoffry rush, along with the also charming helena bonahm carter, The King's Speech succeeds with a great script from david seidler, three brilliant performances, and beautiful direction from tom hooper. The 2nd best film of 2010 besides david fincher's "The Social Network" the only reason this movie gets a 9 is because I think it's trying to much to be a oscar movie, unlike the social network. But still very satisfying. But it did not deserve best picture and diretcor. Those should have gone to The Social Network. But still very heartwarming and enjoyable. Expand
  10. Sep 15, 2011
    Le Discours d'un roi, voilà le film inattendu de cette année! Avec un concept original (bien que réel) et des têtes connues, ce long-métrage aurait seulement suscité la curiosité de plusieurs personnes. Mais c'était sans compter sur le charme du film. Un charme qui provient notamment deLe Discours d'un roi, voilà le film inattendu de cette année! Avec un concept original (bien que réel) et des têtes connues, ce long-métrage aurait seulement suscité la curiosité de plusieurs personnes. Mais c'était sans compter sur le charme du film. Un charme qui provient notamment de l'excellente prestation de chaque acteur (Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Derek Jacobi...), de la bande originale d'Alexandre Desplat, des dialogues et de la reconstitution de l'époque (décors, costumes, accessoires...). Mais surtout, le film doit son charisme à son ambiance, qui en restant d'une sobriété incroyable parvient tout du long à dégager une extraordinaire puissance, rendant cette histoire et ces personnages merveilleusement attachants. Le Discours d'un Roi, le film à ne pas manquer, sous aucun prétexte! Expand
  11. Sep 9, 2011
    The acting was superb. It's a very moving story and you realize it just in time for the end. I simply loved it, actually there's not much more to say.
  12. Nov 3, 2011
    Another great addition to the category of period dramas. Masterfully acted by Colin Firth and with an impressive supporting cast, The King's Speech is Oscar gold. 4/4 stars.
  13. Jan 26, 2012
    To be burdened with holding supreme power, status, and authority of a monarch must not be an easy task. Throw a speech impediment into the mix and the result would surely be near impossible. That's what George VI, otherwise known as "the Reluctant Kingâ
  14. Jan 16, 2012
    There is a reason why Colin Firth won Best Actor and there is a reason why this movie won Best Picture. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. One of the greatest films made in a long time.
  15. Nov 26, 2012
    Brilliant, exciting and perfectly cast, The King's Speech is one of my favorite movies ever. Top 5 easily. For a movie with very little action, per se, it moves quickly. The characters are memorable and fantastic in this story of the British move toward a second world war. Best Colin Firth ever. Best Geoffrey Rush ever. Just beautiful.
  16. Dec 1, 2011
    Its easily one of the greatest films of all time. The acting is simply amazing and Colin Firth is an amazing lead for this film. I highly recommend it.
  17. Jan 8, 2012
    Geoffrey Rush is charming! Full of wit, humor and humility. Decent enough to take a real period piece film seriously without being to Hollywood blockbuster. Firth makes character likable. Both are adoring. Long live
  18. Jan 6, 2012
    Encantador retrato de la vida de un rey y la forma de superar sus problemas personales y reales quedas satisfecho momentos hilarantes y grandes actuaciones de las mejores películas del año
  19. Nov 22, 2012
    Untouchable acting imo that makes the movie worth watching for that point alone. I think the story is great and really touching as well. Some people simply do not get it I guess. A must see imo.
  20. Aug 25, 2014
    No matter what you are handed in life, nobody says that it will be easy. The King's Speech certainly personifies that notion. In one of the finest historical portrayals of a past Royal Family, the film is absorbing and profound. Colin Firth gives a performance for the ages!
  21. Jun 1, 2012
    Refreshingly good movie about a topic that the public knows little about. Although the story doesn't have much historical truth to it as much of the tale is completely made up - still it is good enought to believe that two people could work so hard together through such an ordeal.
  22. Jul 5, 2012
    If you are wondering why this movie won best picture along with other three other Oscars then you have not yet seen it. The movie is about King George VI becoming king and his problems with his speech. He is second in line to become the King of England, his brother is above him. At the beginning of the movie he begins by stammering on a speech. You clearly get to see the problems heIf you are wondering why this movie won best picture along with other three other Oscars then you have not yet seen it. The movie is about King George VI becoming king and his problems with his speech. He is second in line to become the King of England, his brother is above him. At the beginning of the movie he begins by stammering on a speech. You clearly get to see the problems he has when he speaks. His speech problem is not stage fright because it even happens when he tells his daughter's stories. His wife (Bellatrix from the movie series of Harry Potter) tries to find a solution for her husband. One attempt is holding marbles in his mouth and trying to speak (a doctor suggests this). After this falls George goes to a different doctor where the story of friendship begins. His new speech therapist has many exercises for George to perform. It gives you goosebumps the first time you are watching it and the king realize that the doctor was right about the music (watch it and you will know what I mean). Later in the movie George's brother decided to give up the throne of England so he can marry a divorce United States woman that still has husbands living (this is against the Church of England). George then becomes the kind of England and is fear of having to talk publicly becomes reality. Before when he was duke he does not have to speak on such of a global scale. Know that he has become king he will know have to give many more speeches. The Kings Speech gets its name from speech George address to the public. Thanks to his practice with his new founded friend the speech therapist, he succeeds in giving the speech without stammering (except for once; so that the audience knows it was really him giving the speech). Expand
  23. Apr 10, 2014
    Quite a good film indeed. Colin Firth kicks ass and takes names as King George VI and it is truly no wonder that he won Best Actor. Throughout the film, I could not help but marvel at Firth's amazing performance and he really caries this one on his shoulders. Beyond him, the film is a very nice period drama with pitch perfect art and costume direction that really define the era that isQuite a good film indeed. Colin Firth kicks ass and takes names as King George VI and it is truly no wonder that he won Best Actor. Throughout the film, I could not help but marvel at Firth's amazing performance and he really caries this one on his shoulders. Beyond him, the film is a very nice period drama with pitch perfect art and costume direction that really define the era that is covered here. Geoffrey Rush also did a very good job here, though I cannot help but think he almost got overshadowed by Firth's powerhouse performance in the lead role. The film also does a good job making us feel sympathy for the King as he struggles with this debilitating speech impediment that prevents him from being able to speak to his nation as he should.

In terms of negatives, this one has a couple which prevent me from giving it a higher score. First off, it is incredibly slow. The final 15-20 minutes are gold and exactly what we are waiting for, but, while everything before certainly has its moments, it certainly drags a fair bit. I was never bored, but it was troublesome to say the least. Also, this one does not strike me as a film with a lot of replay value. I watched it and now what? If this one is on television or what not, I do not really envision myself stopping and having to watch it again. Regardless, it is quite a good film and it is not hard to see why it did so well at the Oscars.
  24. Jan 5, 2013
    This wonderful film is about the true story of how the Duke of York was stammerer and got help from an Australian speech therapist who believed that doctor techniques were stupid. Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth both have strong performances not to mention a good performance by Helena Bonham Carter. It is amazing how he was before the speech therapist and how well he did with the speech therapist.
  25. Nov 28, 2012
    Pristinely written and acted, "The King's Speech" is an uplifting, culturally significant drama with a wholesome message grounded in its center.
  26. Feb 28, 2013
    One watches movies to be entertained. Apart from a few heart wrenching scenes in which the lead is stuck in a stutter and embarrasses himself, the movie was a drag and got really boring, except for an occasional funny line here and there. The editing is the real culprit here. The audience has been attuned to fast paced dramas and anything slowing the narrative has no place in modern filmOne watches movies to be entertained. Apart from a few heart wrenching scenes in which the lead is stuck in a stutter and embarrasses himself, the movie was a drag and got really boring, except for an occasional funny line here and there. The editing is the real culprit here. The audience has been attuned to fast paced dramas and anything slowing the narrative has no place in modern film and literature. If a movie is this long, it should offer more than just some scenes about a person practicing his lines for a speech, which would have been understood with just a few scenes, for we're not stupid. Back story and character development for the main character was lacking. If they were hellbent to stick to just showing the king stutter over and over, and offer no explanations and character depth, the length could have been cut a lot. True Grit, The Social Network and Inception were better movies, and every one of them deserved Best Picture more than this one. Expand
  27. Mar 7, 2014
    This movie is near perfection. Winner of four Oscars rightfully so, you will not be disappointed after watching this. An incredible true story of a man trying to get over his stammer and fear of public speaking which many people can easily relate to. The cinematography is absolutely amazing and really makes you feel nervous for him while watching the film. In terms of acting, everyone inThis movie is near perfection. Winner of four Oscars rightfully so, you will not be disappointed after watching this. An incredible true story of a man trying to get over his stammer and fear of public speaking which many people can easily relate to. The cinematography is absolutely amazing and really makes you feel nervous for him while watching the film. In terms of acting, everyone in the movie is brilliant especially Firth in the leading role. Overall this is one of the best movies I have ever seen and is the highest rating I have ever given on Metacritic. 91.3 out of 100. Expand
  28. Apr 14, 2013
    The King's Speech was a very inspirational movie in showing one of the best examples in history of someone overcoming their speech impediment for the gain of an entire nation.
  29. May 12, 2013
    I cant understand the point that the movie is boring and there is no action.
    The speech at the end was for preparing a whole nation for the second world war.So its pretty serious stuff.
    And i hate this guys who give Fast and the Furios a score of 10 and this film a 0 ranking! Its pretty annoying me. To the movie:Colin Firth was not overplayed.He made a very got job.And Geoffrey Rush
    I cant understand the point that the movie is boring and there is no action.
    Its pretty annoying me.
    To the movie:Colin Firth was not overplayed.He made a very got job.And Geoffrey Rush played also well.
    Because ist a historic movie i was worried that its to hauling.But my fear was not correct and i really enjoyed the film at every part.There were no lengths and the performances get me hooked.
    So i give it a 9 from 10.
  30. May 15, 2013
    The King's Speech is a film with visual magnificently well done a great photo and a great soundtrack and a strong direction, but will also praise for the cast to give a show of interpretation, including Colin Firth gave that show.
  31. Jun 9, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The King's Speech is a glimpse into the life of royalty, of the father of our very own Queen Elizabeth II. For those (like me) who don't know much about history, the opening shots were complex in that we don't know if Albert is a king yet or not and we don't know why he's having so much trouble speaking, but it is all soon realized. Albert's first speech is painful to listen to. It shows the beginning of the real struggles that will be later portrayed and the deep emotional context. Albert tries a variety of traditional medicines to rectify his stammer, but to us they look foreign and unorthodox. Lionel's practices are much more modern yet they are seen as so foreign only less than a century ago at this time.

The real class divide is shown between Lionel and Albert. The soon-to-be king has trouble recognizing that the stammer is somewhat mental and that to help his problem, he can't treat his doctor as if he's unimportant. Even Albert realizes that his problem can be cured, or at least helped, once he hears himself on that record that Lionel recorded.

Familial issues are a huge source of conflict and power shifts throughout the movie. "We're not a family, we're a firm," describes the context fairly well. King George V dies and so David takes over until he decides he must marry a divorced woman which leaves the unprepared and unwilling Albert to fill that role as King George VI. Albert seems to detest being in this position, mostly due to this speech impediment that he has so much trouble getting over.

Elizabeth–Albert's wife seems to be in this position were she must take care of her husband. She is of course married to a king, but this is a role women seem to take much too often in movies. Not that this isn't a valid way to live, but I did a little research and of all the movies I've watched over the past year, only 15 (compared to 57) had female leads. There was an even bleaker prospect for female directors with 77 male directors to 7 female. Kind of inspired me to make my own way in the industry, but who knows.

The movie concludes with the beginning of World War II and interactions with Hitler, where Lionel is constantly by the king's side. Of course this stammer is always a part of his life, but he manages to make it through successfully and become a successful wartime leader and king. And his daughter is still serving their country today
  32. Aug 23, 2015
    Although it's a good, clear and smooth movie that entertain you about 2 hours, but there are some holes in it. Of course is one of the best movies of the decade, but it doesn't mean that it's a masterpiece
  33. Nov 28, 2015
    It's always going be a good movie when someone with a physical handicap overcomes it to triumph in the end. Not too many kings let that kind of information go public, however. So we get to see the Royal Family and how they screw up the second son, hey, they are just as dysfunctional as us regular folks. Lucky for him the Queen mum (Elizabeth's mother) is a take charge kind of gal andIt's always going be a good movie when someone with a physical handicap overcomes it to triumph in the end. Not too many kings let that kind of information go public, however. So we get to see the Royal Family and how they screw up the second son, hey, they are just as dysfunctional as us regular folks. Lucky for him the Queen mum (Elizabeth's mother) is a take charge kind of gal and drags him to a speech therapist. I'd seen the Queen mum on TV on Buckingham Palace's balcony; wow, who knew what she went through in her younger days! 3 cheers for her! The ensuing relationship that builds between the King and the therapist is the crux of the movie. I don't have a lot of DVDs but this one is a keeper. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2010
    One of the chief reasons that director Tom Hooper's richly produced film works so well is because it operates on so many different levels. The King's Speech is all about layers, and Hooper keeps it humming on several at once.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a fine, absorbing work, built with brilliance and without excessive showiness or flash. It feels, in fact, like a classic virtually upon its arrival.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a "keep calm, carry on" wartime melodrama of the first order, and stiff though it may be, it is never less than brilliantly done.