8.3

1. Mar 24, 2012
    The King's Speech has its moments like the powerful ending but the movie is in low gear until the last 15 mintues. yawning is something you won't escape from in this film and that is were the movie goes wrong.
  2. Dec 8, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic film! The story is so touching, and the actors truly portray the characters to perfection. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, they all deliver such strong and realistic performances; the audience simply falls in love with each character, making the story that much more touching. Colin Firth really gives a brilliant performance. He really doesAbsolutely fantastic film! The story is so touching, and the actors truly portray the characters to perfection. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, they all deliver such strong and realistic performances; the audience simply falls in love with each character, making the story that much more touching. Colin Firth really gives a brilliant performance. He really does a good job of showing the conflict and emotions of the character. I really loved the scene where he cries......great acting. A great performance; I can't wait to see him holding the Oscar for Best Actor, he deserves it.

The King's Speech is one of the most touching, emotional, and heart felt movies I have seen. Basically, you just need to see it for yourself. It truly is a brilliant film that has everything, even some humor. I thought this movie would be drowned out by the brilliant "The Social Network," but it closed out the year taking home the Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Actor! A wonderful film!
  3. Dec 10, 2010
    Two acting titans: Rush and Firth; every mature character actor in the UK; Helena!; the Brits do it again. The film was a delight to watch and the viewer is given a wonderful reprieve from the simplistic, the empty,the 3D onslaught!
  4. Feb 28, 2011
    Wow, honestly one of the best movies I have ever watched, the performances were absolutely crazy. Colin Firth has always been a great actor in my eyes, and this just proved it to the rest of the world. This movie definitely deserved the Oscar that it won, and not mention Geoffrey Rush was outstanding in this one also.
  5. Aug 10, 2011
    A success this big only comes when you bring three of the best active British actors together to make an extremely British movie. Its sets are beautifully detailed and the scenes between Firth and Rush show great chemistry, as well
  6. Dec 14, 2010
    Beautiful story describing the courage and relationship between these two men. The acting and dialog was what you come to see and hear. Such a delight to watch, it brought tears to my eyes.
  7. Dec 31, 2010
    An absolutely outstanding movie! I cannot remember when an audience spontaneously broke out in applause at the end of a movie! Truly, an incredible film. Kudos to the entire cast and crew! Thank you for making going to the movies fun again!
  8. Sep 18, 2011
    The movie is rich and profound with top notch cinematography, with powerful acting by Collin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. The best picture winner was certainly chosen. However, I was disappointed to see the Brit king having no real plot twists or obstacles that could have transformed the movie into a engaging one.
  9. Feb 24, 2011
    i dont usually dig these kind of flicks.. but i couldnt ignore the reviews .. i watched and i agree - cinema at its finest.. a drama yes, historical yes.. all the ingredients for a boring movie - yes.. but it transcends all that.. powerful story.. amazing acting, great cinematography.. I even got a little choked up at the end.
  10. Jan 13, 2012
    The King Speech is an unique movie because is about a man dealing with problems looking for a solution, and that makes it very close to everyday life. Which adds strength to the movie is that this man is the King of England during the interwar period, and his problem is stuttering. But the King is not alone; he has a determined wife, who wont rest until her husband is completely cured.The King Speech is an unique movie because is about a man dealing with problems looking for a solution, and that makes it very close to everyday life. Which adds strength to the movie is that this man is the King of England during the interwar period, and his problem is stuttering. But the King is not alone; he has a determined wife, who wont rest until her husband is completely cured. Because of this, the couple goes to visit an unconventional speech therapist that is also a failed interpreter of Shakespeare. Here lies the brightness of the film, because of a doubled sided situation, irony and reality struggle and work together to take the plot all the way to the climax.
    With excellent direction, strong script, unbelievable performances and occasional jokes, the movie keeps you hooked for almost two hours. Its also remarkable the form in which self improvement and team work, leads to overcome a disability; which, by the way, is awfully hard to develop in a movie. And if you add to this, the evolution of a character with a repressed past, to one that can manage an entire country; you get an Academy Award winner.
  11. Jan 2, 2011
    There aren't very many negative things to say about this exceptionally well-crafted film, as Hooper injects much-need flair into the direction and all of the leads turn in solid, if not great performances. It was a little too hoighty-toighty for my taste though, and I wish I connected to the characters a bit more. But overall, it's nearly impossible to dislike.
  12. Jan 2, 2011
    Prince Albert of York (Colin Firth) had a debilitating stammer that became particularly problematic when he ascended to the throne as King George VI. His loving wife (Helena Bonham Carter) found an upstart speech therapist (Geoffrey Rush) to help him address his fears. Even through the struggles, the story is told with an upbeat slant and plenty of humor. The cast is uniformly strong. ThePrince Albert of York (Colin Firth) had a debilitating stammer that became particularly problematic when he ascended to the throne as King George VI. His loving wife (Helena Bonham Carter) found an upstart speech therapist (Geoffrey Rush) to help him address his fears. Even through the struggles, the story is told with an upbeat slant and plenty of humor. The cast is uniformly strong. The only complaint might be that itâ Expand
  13. Dec 31, 2010
    First of all this film is a clinic on dramatic performance. The fact that some of the small supporting roles are filled by talent such as Guy Pearce and Michael Gambon should provide some hint in regards to the quality of this movie. Colin Firth does an extraordinary job of conveying the frustrations of George VI in regards to his family issues as well as being a key public figure who hasFirst of all this film is a clinic on dramatic performance. The fact that some of the small supporting roles are filled by talent such as Guy Pearce and Michael Gambon should provide some hint in regards to the quality of this movie. Colin Firth does an extraordinary job of conveying the frustrations of George VI in regards to his family issues as well as being a key public figure who has difficulty speaking. At this point I would be more surprised if Geoffrey Rush didn't deliver a knockout performance but he didn't steal the show the way that I expected him to. I feel that this movie validated my suspicion that Helena Bonham Carter's true acting chops have been smothered as of late by too many Tim Burton/Johnny Depp projects. Not to say that she wasn't excellent in Sweeney Todd but movies such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland didn't allow her to truly shine the way that she does in this outing. There is a lot of subtle humor throughout the film which does a great job of lightening up some of the otherwise dark moments. I feel like the movie was paced just right where other award season trophy grabbing attempts would have stretched the movie out needlessly in an attempt to feign grandiose and significance. Ultimately this movie had all of the elements for an extremely enjoyable film and I would be genuinely surprised if it didn't pick up at least a few pieces of golden hardware this year. Expand
  14. Jan 19, 2011
    Excellent acting and directing. Well-paced. Subtle in its dramatic appeal. One of the year's best. In fact, there were very few flaws in this film... and I am very picky!
  15. Nov 27, 2010
    Brilliant film. They all deserve Oscar nominations!
    The story is true and real.
    The costumes amazing.

Go and see it today.
    Best film of the weekend!
  16. Dec 30, 2010
    It's not often that the audience claps at the end of a film - but The King's Speech is certainly deserving. In addition to the remarkable performances all around, the pacing - not rushed, the cinematography and the brilliant script combine to make this one of the best films of the year (and beyond).
  17. Feb 2, 2011
    For sure, the film is predicable, but the brilliant performances and the stylish production are more than enough to make up for it. Colin Firth is masterful: no lesser man could have achieved what he has in this film. Geoffrey Rush is hilarious and brilliant, as usual. Helena Bonham Carter gives depth to a character that has very little screen time, no small feat at all. The people willFor sure, the film is predicable, but the brilliant performances and the stylish production are more than enough to make up for it. Colin Firth is masterful: no lesser man could have achieved what he has in this film. Geoffrey Rush is hilarious and brilliant, as usual. Helena Bonham Carter gives depth to a character that has very little screen time, no small feat at all. The people will love it, the critics will love it, and, perhaps most obviously, the Oscars will love it to death. Expand
  18. Jan 23, 2011
    When a film makes you feel the pain of the character just by watching his face, then you say, "wait this a movie", you know the acting is superb. This is an outstanding movie and I am surprised it received a R rating.
  19. Oct 28, 2011
    Simply put, it is one of the best films of the past decade. The thing that stood out to me the most was the absolutely superb performances by everyone in the cast, across the line. Obviously, Firth, Bonham Carter, and Rush were exquisite and definitely deserved their Oscar nominations (and Firth his win). Subtle, yet beautiful performance by everyone that create strong connections betweenSimply put, it is one of the best films of the past decade. The thing that stood out to me the most was the absolutely superb performances by everyone in the cast, across the line. Obviously, Firth, Bonham Carter, and Rush were exquisite and definitely deserved their Oscar nominations (and Firth his win). Subtle, yet beautiful performance by everyone that create strong connections between the characters and audience. The screenplay was written beautifully and is quite refreshingly funny and endearing, something that historic dramas often struggle with. Technically, also, the film was top-notch, with excellence in art design and costumes, but also some beautiful cinematography and an amazing score by the always brilliant Alexandre Desplat. "The King's Speech" has it all - brilliance in writing, performance and technique, which is anything and everything a film could wish for. BRAVO! Expand
  20. Feb 4, 2011
    Virtually impeccable and incredibly engaging. I arrived 20 minutes late and had terrible seats right under the screen but I was still completely enthralled by the plot. All the acting was superbly subtle and deep (except maybe Helena Bonham Carter, whose character I never really 'got') and despite the fact I knew what was going to happen I was sitting on the edge of my seat with my heartVirtually impeccable and incredibly engaging. I arrived 20 minutes late and had terrible seats right under the screen but I was still completely enthralled by the plot. All the acting was superbly subtle and deep (except maybe Helena Bonham Carter, whose character I never really 'got') and despite the fact I knew what was going to happen I was sitting on the edge of my seat with my heart in my mouth as he walked through Buckingham Palace towards the radio microphone at the end. The whole thing was constructed perfectly and I hope it wins all the Oscars its nominated for - it truly deserves them, more than any film I've seen in years. Expand
  21. Aug 14, 2011
    I never was a fan of dramas so I didn't have high expectations for this movie. But then this turned out to be one of the greatest films I ever watched. Colin Firth gave one of the best performances I've ever seen. I can see why he won Best Actor at the Oscars. I highly recommend this movie to anyone and everyone. A pure masterpiece.
  22. Mar 3, 2011
    Truly masterful acting throughout and a well-paced script that didn't lag at any point. Capped by a moving last 10 minutes that made me teary. Lived more than up to the hype.
  23. Jun 16, 2011
    Driven by strong performances by Firth, Rush, and Bonham-Carter, the King's Speech is by far the best film of 2010. The score is incredibly rich and emotional. The set is restricted and narrow, and gives one the feeling of what George VI is going through. This is a superb period piece, and a great biopic. It deserves all the awards that it one, especially the Oscar for Best Picture. NotDriven by strong performances by Firth, Rush, and Bonham-Carter, the King's Speech is by far the best film of 2010. The score is incredibly rich and emotional. The set is restricted and narrow, and gives one the feeling of what George VI is going through. This is a superb period piece, and a great biopic. It deserves all the awards that it one, especially the Oscar for Best Picture. Not seeing The King's Speech will be the biggest cinematic mistake of your life. Expand
  24. Feb 20, 2011
    Yes, Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and HBC are great, and Firth probably deserves the Oscar coming his way. However, I found this movie to be formulaic in the worst way. There's no deviating from your typical biopic machinations, and you can probably figure out what's going to happen after the first 20 minutes. Life-long friendships, a cured character, etc.
    DULL. And frankly, I liked Firth
    DULL. And frankly, I liked Firth better in A Single Man; and if Rush beats Bale for the Oscar, that will be BS.
  25. Dec 22, 2010
    It is hard to find a flaw in a film with an incredible cast delivering award winning performances, beautiful cinematography, direction, costumes and musical score and an interesting story packed with drama, humour and suspense.
  26. Jan 26, 2011
    I was overwhelm by Rush performance. The story is full of hope and courage. Although the end can be foreseen, it keeps you till the end with the pleasure of taking port of the 'king' emotions. It's a nice movie.
  27. Feb 11, 2011
    As everyone else has said, it's amazing. Flawless acting and settings immerse you. Beautifully done, deserving of it's 12 academy award nominations. Social Network ro King's Speech? very tough call
  28. Feb 2, 2011
    Being asked what your favorite movie is or what is the best movie of all time is, most would say the Godfather, I would say that it has not been made yet, but for this movie to trump my favorite, The Shawshank Redemption, that is saying something. This was a bro-mance movie at base value but the performances delivered, it made me laugh and cry as cliche as it is but it really hit home withBeing asked what your favorite movie is or what is the best movie of all time is, most would say the Godfather, I would say that it has not been made yet, but for this movie to trump my favorite, The Shawshank Redemption, that is saying something. This was a bro-mance movie at base value but the performances delivered, it made me laugh and cry as cliche as it is but it really hit home with me personally, and it tugged at my heart strings. This was truly a remarkable movie, and it made me smile even more knowing that a movie about Facebook was not the only contender in the race for awards. Expand
  29. Feb 4, 2011
    I liked this film a lot. Colin Firth and Jeffrey Rush are both outstanding in The King's Speech. I was cringing every time Bertie went to speak. He had me stopped in my tracks. A good movie as well. Although, I was slightly disappointed with it. I had read such great things about the movie, and it was good, but I felt it was not best picture worthy. I think the acting carries the film, butI liked this film a lot. Colin Firth and Jeffrey Rush are both outstanding in The King's Speech. I was cringing every time Bertie went to speak. He had me stopped in my tracks. A good movie as well. Although, I was slightly disappointed with it. I had read such great things about the movie, and it was good, but I felt it was not best picture worthy. I think the acting carries the film, but the film itself is not astonishing. I think it runs around an 80 or 90. The cinematography was bland, scenarios short-lived, and the dialogue was too polished. I wish I could have seen more Jeffrey Rush as well. Expand
  30. Jan 30, 2011
    Okay, after looking at some of these reviews I seem to be way off the mark on this one!! But have you ever sat through a movie and from the get go, just not believed a thing that the actors were doing and saw them just as actors acting?? Well thats exactly how I felt watching this!!! Colin Firth was spitting and stuttering on cue while throwing temper tantrums that would make a 3 year oldOkay, after looking at some of these reviews I seem to be way off the mark on this one!! But have you ever sat through a movie and from the get go, just not believed a thing that the actors were doing and saw them just as actors acting?? Well thats exactly how I felt watching this!!! Colin Firth was spitting and stuttering on cue while throwing temper tantrums that would make a 3 year old look childish and Geoffrey Rush was looking oh so very Caricature. It just felt like an over acted, staged, Oscar Hungry play....not a movie!! The entire audience seemed blown away after the film but I just didnt get it!!! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2010
    One of the chief reasons that director Tom Hooper's richly produced film works so well is because it operates on so many different levels. The King's Speech is all about layers, and Hooper keeps it humming on several at once.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a fine, absorbing work, built with brilliance and without excessive showiness or flash. It feels, in fact, like a classic virtually upon its arrival.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a "keep calm, carry on" wartime melodrama of the first order, and stiff though it may be, it is never less than brilliantly done.