8.3

1. Aug 25, 2014
    No matter what you are handed in life, nobody says that it will be easy. The King's Speech certainly personifies that notion. In one of the finest historical portrayals of a past Royal Family, the film is absorbing and profound. Colin Firth gives a performance for the ages!
  2. Apr 10, 2014
    Quite a good film indeed. Colin Firth kicks ass and takes names as King George VI and it is truly no wonder that he won Best Actor. Throughout the film, I could not help but marvel at Firth's amazing performance and he really caries this one on his shoulders. Beyond him, the film is a very nice period drama with pitch perfect art and costume direction that really define the era that is covered here. Geoffrey Rush also did a very good job here, though I cannot help but think he almost got overshadowed by Firth's powerhouse performance in the lead role. The film also does a good job making us feel sympathy for the King as he struggles with this debilitating speech impediment that prevents him from being able to speak to his nation as he should.

In terms of negatives, this one has a couple which prevent me from giving it a higher score. First off, it is incredibly slow. The final 15-20 minutes are gold and exactly what we are waiting for, but, while everything before certainly has its moments, it certainly drags a fair bit. I was never bored, but it was troublesome to say the least. Also, this one does not strike me as a film with a lot of replay value. I watched it and now what? If this one is on television or what not, I do not really envision myself stopping and having to watch it again. Regardless, it is quite a good film and it is not hard to see why it did so well at the Oscars.
  3. Mar 7, 2014
    This movie is near perfection. Winner of four Oscars rightfully so, you will not be disappointed after watching this. An incredible true story of a man trying to get over his stammer and fear of public speaking which many people can easily relate to. The cinematography is absolutely amazing and really makes you feel nervous for him while watching the film. In terms of acting, everyone in the movie is brilliant especially Firth in the leading role. Overall this is one of the best movies I have ever seen and is the highest rating I have ever given on Metacritic. 91.3 out of 100. Expand
  4. Sep 19, 2013
    With Firth's believable stutter and great acting, The King's Speech remains one of the best movies in recent years. Just the execution of such a simple idea at the core is amazing, and Director Tom Hooper is to be credited to the fullest for such a noteworthy film.
  5. Jun 20, 2013
    Boring,dull,lifeless picture about a guy who shudders. Pretty good ending but the rest of the movie was a drag. Firth does his best with the acting. But I can't get over the fact that this is universal acclaim. A man who studders and can't do a speech. I don't get it.
  6. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. any movie is defined by the idea behind it or the story based on,
    in this movie we don't have an idea, we have a story,
    the problem is the story is limited,
    so there is a major element lacking from the movie, the story is one-sided, short story stretched into a two hours movie,
    and of course everything have good side and a bad side,
    the good side is that the execution is perfect,Colin Firth was very good and the directing was perfect.
    and the bad side is that the entire story is about shining a light on people with speech impediment and a royal family members with flaws, and this is as far as the movie can go,
    not saying it's bad but didn't worth the hype.
  7. May 15, 2013
    The King's Speech is a film with visual magnificently well done a great photo and a great soundtrack and a strong direction, but will also praise for the cast to give a show of interpretation, including Colin Firth gave that show.
  8. May 12, 2013
    Overall “The King’s Speech” is a great movie. The story is entertaining and the actors do a fantastic job bringing the characters to life. When you bring in the fact that this movie is based off of a true story you have the stage set for a great movie that truly deserves some attention. The lighting, camera work, and costumes help contribute to the setting and create a wonderful environment. All of these elements are the reason why I enjoyed “The Kings Speech” it didn’t pull my heartstrings but it kept me entertained and it will do the same for you. Expand
  9. May 12, 2013
    I cant understand the point that the movie is boring and there is no action.
    The speech at the end was for preparing a whole nation for the second world war.So its pretty serious stuff.
    And i hate this guys who give Fast and the Furios a score of 10 and this film a 0 ranking!
    Its pretty annoying me.
    To the movie:Colin Firth was not overplayed.He made a very got job.And Geoffrey Rush
    played also well.
    Because ist a historic movie i was worried that its to hauling.But my fear was not correct and i really enjoyed the film at every part.There were no lengths and the performances get me hooked.
    So i give it a 9 from 10.
  10. Apr 14, 2013
    The King's Speech was a very inspirational movie in showing one of the best examples in history of someone overcoming their speech impediment for the gain of an entire nation.
  11. Apr 7, 2013
    I'm not seeing what all the hype is about. Sure, there are some funny moments and superb acting but the whole story, events, excitement etc. are all lacking. The King's Speech does what it sets out to do very well, but that's not saying much given how it doesn't try to do anything at all. There's no actual tangible content which makes this film worth watching. Only those who get emotional over absolutely everything can enjoy this film in my opinion. No action, no excitement, no laughter. Just plain boring. Expand
  12. Feb 28, 2013
    One watches movies to be entertained. Apart from a few heart wrenching scenes in which the lead is stuck in a stutter and embarrasses himself, the movie was a drag and got really boring, except for an occasional funny line here and there. The editing is the real culprit here. The audience has been attuned to fast paced dramas and anything slowing the narrative has no place in modern film and literature. If a movie is this long, it should offer more than just some scenes about a person practicing his lines for a speech, which would have been understood with just a few scenes, for we're not stupid. Back story and character development for the main character was lacking. If they were hellbent to stick to just showing the king stutter over and over, and offer no explanations and character depth, the length could have been cut a lot. True Grit, The Social Network and Inception were better movies, and every one of them deserved Best Picture more than this one. Expand
  13. Feb 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fine film. The acting is good, so is the directing, the camera, the cinematography, the music, the costume design, set design, editing... all of it is good. The story was a great story. Why a 6 then? In a paradoxical way, just because of the above. It is good but not great. And worst of all: everything is predictable. No surprises ever come. 1) A disabled tormented man who shouldn't have to be King is actually going to be King. 2) He suffers from a stutter no one can help him cure. 3) Until he meets with an unorthodox yet far superior to any specialist in the Kingdom therapist that helps him. 4) Astonishing progress from day one. 5) We see them work. 6) They have an argument and stop seeing each other. 7) They make peace and work again. 8) Big day comes and everything works out great. The movie is just that linear and predictable. So I didn't dislike it. But I didn't like it. Expand
  14. Jan 5, 2013
    This wonderful film is about the true story of how the Duke of York was stammerer and got help from an Australian speech therapist who believed that doctor techniques were stupid. Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth both have strong performances not to mention a good performance by Helena Bonham Carter. It is amazing how he was before the speech therapist and how well he did with the speech therapist.
  15. Dec 8, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic film! The story is so touching, and the actors truly portray the characters to perfection. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, they all deliver such strong and realistic performances; the audience simply falls in love with each character, making the story that much more touching. Colin Firth really gives a brilliant performance. He really does a good job of showing the conflict and emotions of the character. I really loved the scene where he cries......great acting. A great performance; I can't wait to see him holding the Oscar for Best Actor, he deserves it.

The King's Speech is one of the most touching, emotional, and heart felt movies I have seen. Basically, you just need to see it for yourself. It truly is a brilliant film that has everything, even some humor. I thought this movie would be drowned out by the brilliant "The Social Network," but it closed out the year taking home the Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Actor! A wonderful film!
  16. Nov 28, 2012
    Pristinely written and acted, "The King's Speech" is an uplifting, culturally significant drama with a wholesome message grounded in its center.
  17. Nov 26, 2012
    Brilliant, exciting and perfectly cast, The King's Speech is one of my favorite movies ever. Top 5 easily. For a movie with very little action, per se, it moves quickly. The characters are memorable and fantastic in this story of the British move toward a second world war. Best Colin Firth ever. Best Geoffrey Rush ever. Just beautiful.
  18. Nov 22, 2012
    Untouchable acting imo that makes the movie worth watching for that point alone. I think the story is great and really touching as well. Some people simply do not get it I guess. A must see imo.
  19. Jul 5, 2012
    If you are wondering why this movie won best picture along with other three other Oscars then you have not yet seen it. The movie is about King George VI becoming king and his problems with his speech. He is second in line to become the King of England, his brother is above him. At the beginning of the movie he begins by stammering on a speech. You clearly get to see the problems he has when he speaks. His speech problem is not stage fright because it even happens when he tells his daughter's stories. His wife (Bellatrix from the movie series of Harry Potter) tries to find a solution for her husband. One attempt is holding marbles in his mouth and trying to speak (a doctor suggests this). After this falls George goes to a different doctor where the story of friendship begins. His new speech therapist has many exercises for George to perform. It gives you goosebumps the first time you are watching it and the king realize that the doctor was right about the music (watch it and you will know what I mean). Later in the movie George's brother decided to give up the throne of England so he can marry a divorce United States woman that still has husbands living (this is against the Church of England). George then becomes the kind of England and is fear of having to talk publicly becomes reality. Before when he was duke he does not have to speak on such of a global scale. Know that he has become king he will know have to give many more speeches. The Kings Speech gets its name from speech George address to the public. Thanks to his practice with his new founded friend the speech therapist, he succeeds in giving the speech without stammering (except for once; so that the audience knows it was really him giving the speech). Expand
  20. Jun 1, 2012
    Refreshingly good movie about a topic that the public knows little about. Although the story doesn't have much historical truth to it as much of the tale is completely made up - still it is good enought to believe that two people could work so hard together through such an ordeal.
  21. Mar 26, 2012
    No matter how masterful the acting was, this movie just didn't wow me. The movie took time and care to make sure every aspect of the film was excellent, however, the script, just put me to sleep. The ending was riveting the first time I saw it, but hardly moved me at all the second time around. I don't dislike this film, but giving it best picture was such a discernment. BOOOOO.
  22. Mar 24, 2012
    The King's Speech has its moments like the powerful ending but the movie is in low gear until the last 15 mintues. yawning is something you won't escape from in this film and that is were the movie goes wrong.
  23. Jan 26, 2012
    To be burdened with holding supreme power, status, and authority of a monarch must not be an easy task. Throw a speech impediment into the mix and the result would surely be near impossible. That's what George VI, otherwise known as "the Reluctant Kingâ
  24. Jan 16, 2012
    There is a reason why Colin Firth won Best Actor and there is a reason why this movie won Best Picture. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. One of the greatest films made in a long time.
  25. Jan 13, 2012
    The King Speech is an unique movie because is about a man dealing with problems looking for a solution, and that makes it very close to everyday life. Which adds strength to the movie is that this man is the King of England during the interwar period, and his problem is stuttering. But the King is not alone; he has a determined wife, who wont rest until her husband is completely cured. Because of this, the couple goes to visit an unconventional speech therapist that is also a failed interpreter of Shakespeare. Here lies the brightness of the film, because of a doubled sided situation, irony and reality struggle and work together to take the plot all the way to the climax.
    With excellent direction, strong script, unbelievable performances and occasional jokes, the movie keeps you hooked for almost two hours. Its also remarkable the form in which self improvement and team work, leads to overcome a disability; which, by the way, is awfully hard to develop in a movie. And if you add to this, the evolution of a character with a repressed past, to one that can manage an entire country; you get an Academy Award winner.
  26. Jan 8, 2012
    Geoffrey Rush is charming! Full of wit, humor and humility. Decent enough to take a real period piece film seriously without being to Hollywood blockbuster. Firth makes character likable. Both are adoring. Long live
  27. Jan 6, 2012
    Encantador retrato de la vida de un rey y la forma de superar sus problemas personales y reales quedas satisfecho momentos hilarantes y grandes actuaciones de las mejores películas del año
  28. Dec 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Displaying a gorgeous cinematography, mesmerizing performances and an engaging story, "The King's Speech" is certainly a crowd pleaser. But will all that appeal compensate the predictable and simple plot? I think so. Even tough there's no challenge situation that can impress us, Colin Firth is perfect at making us care about the King's situation. Expand
  29. Dec 1, 2011
    Its easily one of the greatest films of all time. The acting is simply amazing and Colin Firth is an amazing lead for this film. I highly recommend it.
  30. Nov 26, 2011
    Easily one of the greatest films you will ever see. Sadly though people are shallow and dont see the bigger picture that the film represents. The acting was wonderful and the entire film was simply a master piece.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2010
    One of the chief reasons that director Tom Hooper's richly produced film works so well is because it operates on so many different levels. The King's Speech is all about layers, and Hooper keeps it humming on several at once.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a fine, absorbing work, built with brilliance and without excessive showiness or flash. It feels, in fact, like a classic virtually upon its arrival.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a "keep calm, carry on" wartime melodrama of the first order, and stiff though it may be, it is never less than brilliantly done.