The Lady

6.5

1. Apr 24, 2012
    I thought I was going to see "Iron Lady" but was glad this was the film. I agree with all of the criticisms but since the timing was so relevant to the recent news, I learned a lot I did not known about the situation from an historical standpoint. Yes, it would have been better if they had not concentrated as much on her family relationship and more on the political dynamics. Still, myI thought I was going to see "Iron Lady" but was glad this was the film. I agree with all of the criticisms but since the timing was so relevant to the recent news, I learned a lot I did not known about the situation from an historical standpoint. Yes, it would have been better if they had not concentrated as much on her family relationship and more on the political dynamics. Still, my knowledge is so much greater than when I went in. Expand
  2. Jan 8, 2012
    This handsomely mounted picture is, at nearly 2 1/2 hours, far too long and indigestible for a film whose protagonist spends most of her screen time under house arrest.
  3. Jan 8, 2012
    Just awful. Really hard to watch. Terribly done film. What a waste of money and time. Can't believe I sat through this film. I pity anyone who does.
  4. Jan 8, 2012
    There's something immobile at the center of The Lady, a kind of Botoxed biopic with an unlikely director - Luc Besson - manning the syringe. A bad, bad film.
  5. Apr 16, 2012
    What? If I don't have a bad memory, I remember that this movie be launched the last year, and what happen? was delayed, and I think: I can watch the movie, but after have other delay, and finally when we can watch the product, I can say that the movie is regular. The story is good, but have a bad development, in some parts is boring, in other interesting, but the biggest part of the movieWhat? If I don't have a bad memory, I remember that this movie be launched the last year, and what happen? was delayed, and I think: I can watch the movie, but after have other delay, and finally when we can watch the product, I can say that the movie is regular. The story is good, but have a bad development, in some parts is boring, in other interesting, but the biggest part of the movie is boring. The cast have regular performances, and is not good. I think that the movie cause all this things, after the delays, watching this, sorry but The Lady is regular. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Liam Lacey
    Apr 26, 2012
    Contrast this to "The Iron Lady," a film which managed to be both obnoxiously condescending and flattering to the divisive British leader Margaret Thatcher, and left those of all political stripes irritated. The Lady, devoid of either iron or irony, is merely forgettable, a much deeper insult to its subject.
  2. Reviewed by: Adam Bernstein
    Apr 19, 2012
    In the final scene, the filmmakers nearly succeed in turning Suu Kyi into an Asian Eva Peron, down to the outspread arms, tossing an orchid to her worshippers.
  3. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Apr 18, 2012
    The Lady is more professional but, for me, "They Call It Myanmar" is more useful. Lieberman answers questions that Besson does not think to ask.