7.7

1. Mar 20, 2012
    Why are there so many idiots out there. You didn't like the movie, I get it....that is fine. But why are you saying its hard to follow/confusing?? For anyone looking for a short review, here it is. This isn't the best romantic film out there. But it is a little different than normal. Two lives unable to truly connect because they are separated by time. I wish they did things differently,Why are there so many idiots out there. You didn't like the movie, I get it....that is fine. But why are you saying its hard to follow/confusing?? For anyone looking for a short review, here it is. This isn't the best romantic film out there. But it is a little different than normal. Two lives unable to truly connect because they are separated by time. I wish they did things differently, but its not a film and is at least a 6/10. I'll do 7/10 because it is memorable, sweet, and you are rooting for the characters. Its drawn out on purpose...its called suspense people. If you want the couple to get together in the first 30 minutes what would be the point to the rest? Expand
  2. Aug 24, 2014
    The concept is here. It's actually quite clever in parts. But there is something about Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves that didn't seem to click for me.
  3. Dec 15, 2014
    If you want to enjoy “The lake house” you should know that it requires plenty of suspended disbelief and no rational approach.

Chronologically, the story “sort-of” starts in 2004, when Alex comes back to the Chicago area and settles in a glass house built many years previously by his architect father. Alex and dad don’t get along, even if they share the same profession. In the house

In the house Alex finds a note from alleged “lodger” Kate, who recently moved out with regret to central Chicago. However, Alex knows that the house was closed for years and writes back to Kate, basically asking what is wrong with her. A correspondence follows between the two, during which they discover that Kate rented the house after Alex, possibly in 2005 (the timeline is a bit confused) and she moved out at the beginning of 2006.

The two exchange letters using the mailbox outside the house, regular postal service clearly not being an option. Although I agree that writing letters is very romantic, one may wonder why they do not exchange photos, emails or phone calls…

They quickly discover to be soul mates and Alex tries several times to meet Kate. It should be remembered that in 2004 Kate is still unaware about his existence, so when they actually meet the experience is very different for them. To complicate things, Kate has a boyfriend in 2004 – but not in 2006.

Alex knows to be in love and want to be with Kate. At this stage, enters the plot twist, which feels highly contrived even in such an unlikely scenario. However, we are supposed to root for Alex and Kate, two people who can truly connect with very few around them and who are bound to be together against all odds. Will 2008 be the year when they can finally be happy together?

The time paradox is the most intriguing part and should be explored more in details, but the movie can still be considered a satisfactory, unusual romantic movie.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Never quite sure what it wants to be -- a magical-mysterious love story, a psychodrama, a sprawling family saga, or an uneasy combination of these.
  2. A slow-moving, never-igniting tale of calendar-crossed lovers that grows less convincing as it proceeds.
    I am conflicted about this film. I like the fact that it takes chances. I appreciate that it's trying to do a supernatural love story without falling into the schmaltz of "Ghost." Yet I recognize that the screenplay is like Swiss cheese - riddled with hole.