The Last Airbender

2.6

1. Jun 7, 2013
    If I had to compare it to the animated series I would have to say that it's a disaster. If i had to judge it separately i would say the same. Someone who has never seen the show ,is forced into an incomprehensible plot bound to be unappreciated, as the film's success was more special-effects oriented. Even though they have the same story, Avatar manages to captivate viewers and make themIf I had to compare it to the animated series I would have to say that it's a disaster. If i had to judge it separately i would say the same. Someone who has never seen the show ,is forced into an incomprehensible plot bound to be unappreciated, as the film's success was more special-effects oriented. Even though they have the same story, Avatar manages to captivate viewers and make them have a plethora of feelings such as sympathy, suspense and excitement, while The Last Airbender presents the story as dead, cold and superficial. When Avatar The Last Airbender ended, the fans were devastated and nostalgic. When The Last Airbender ended, everyone was devastated as well but for a different reason and hoping the 2 expected sequels will not be released. That is because the director of this film, or whoever is responsible for the its making, made a terrible mistake. Animes or anime-like shows are absolutely not meant to have live-action adaptations made. It's one of the few things the movie industry is not capable of doing, successfully. Expand
  2. Jul 15, 2013
    Thank God he was the last one, let's just hope there's no prequel in the works. Hopefully Midnight Shazam will have enough common(sixth)sense to actually think about what might make an interesting film after his appalling run of garbage. I seriously doubt it to be honest and I can see people of the future being awarded the Midnight Shazam award for utter rubbish at The Golden Raspberries.
  3. Oct 16, 2014
    The Last Airbender is one of the worst films ever and definitively the worst film directed by M.Night Shyamalan, as a massive fan of the show i was extremely disappointed in this film, converting the first season that lasts 470mins into 103mins is atrocious, there's a lot of key elements and i mean a lot of key elements missing, the casting and acting are probably the worst part about theThe Last Airbender is one of the worst films ever and definitively the worst film directed by M.Night Shyamalan, as a massive fan of the show i was extremely disappointed in this film, converting the first season that lasts 470mins into 103mins is atrocious, there's a lot of key elements and i mean a lot of key elements missing, the casting and acting are probably the worst part about the film and isn't even backed up by the special effects which are horrible, specially when 160 million (inflated) dollars went into this film and it still didn't deliver anything to enjoy, this movie is a disappointment to fans and film making. i'll definitively give this a 0. Expand
  4. Sep 17, 2010
    Poor M. Night, his carrear as one of the best directors of our time is falling like a shooted duck. The Last Aribender is bad. Bad as the hopes of that duck. The acting is outrageous bad, the story is depressing awful written, the 3D is inexistent and the plot is nothing more then ridiculous. The visuals are alright thou, but tiring and inexpressive. So, save your money or if you reallyPoor M. Night, his carrear as one of the best directors of our time is falling like a shooted duck. The Last Aribender is bad. Bad as the hopes of that duck. The acting is outrageous bad, the story is depressing awful written, the 3D is inexistent and the plot is nothing more then ridiculous. The visuals are alright thou, but tiring and inexpressive. So, save your money or if you really want to give a try, go see it in 2D, doesn't make any difference. Expand
  5. Nov 19, 2010
    Do they hire people to give this movie a score of above 0? I thought Dragonball Evolution was brutal, but its actually not that bad compared to this POS.
  6. Nov 26, 2010
    Wow M. Night really messed up on this one. I saw no parts similar to the series in the movie. Oh and that wall of water was like the worlds biggest psych out! Hope they don't do book two.
  7. Jul 1, 2014
    Awful, just awful. It is so bad you'll want to never watch an M. Night Shymalan movie ever again. The only thing redeemable about this disaster is that it never made enough money in order to make a sequel.

All in all, you're way better off watching the show, which is absolutely outstanding despite my low level of familiarity with it.
  8. Nov 4, 2013
    This is the Worst Movie of 2012 and 2011 nobody should ever see this movie the acting is horrible and the story is the dumbest story ever heard in a long time since 2006 NO BODY SHOULD SEE THIS MOVIE.
  9. Nov 18, 2010
    Wrong score on first review oops
    Wrong score on first review oops
    If you are unfamiliar with the movies source material, the Animate series of a similar name this movie will have little to offer you ; If you are familliar or even a fan however, it will have plenty to offer, unfortunately all of it's offerings are bad. First off, I do want to give an honorable acknowledgement to the special effects in the move as well as trying to stay somewhat close to the story, one can understand that sacrifices have to be made to take a full season of a series into a one sitting movie timeframe. What kills the movie however is the acting, Bad diologue bad choreography, just about every name is mispronounced which to an extent is understandable perhaps if the source is either in a foreign language or a book but not if the source is in the movies originating language and has already established such things. Also the story is very shallow and some scenes such as a segment where the main character and their friend are practicing water bending stances (based off of tai chi) you can tell that they are supposed to be in sync with each other but are fare from it. All in all, at best this movie could be accepted as a very well done fan movie done by a third party with some of the best special effects programs available to the public, but when one considers that this is published and backed by major production companies, all of this films shortcomings are unacceptable. I find it to be hard to believe that this movie can leave a positive impression on any viewer, fan or not
  10. Dec 4, 2010
    Wow, poor acting, worse dialogue just an overall terrible film. The movie had a TON of potential, yet it lacked just about anything to make it worthy outside of it's concept. Whoever casted and wrote the dialogue in the film should be shot. They made Hayden Christianson(Anakin Skywalker) look smooth in speech.
  11. May 16, 2011
    Now that this film has a total of 5 razzies, all of the people who gave it a good review should be ashamed of themselves. It wasn't total garbage, but garbage nonetheless. It made certain fans cry and/or throw a fit. HOW CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF A FAN IF YOU THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT? Shyamalan certainly didn't make it for us.
  12. Mar 19, 2011
    You're better off watching the animated series. There aren't enough characters to describe what is wrong with this movie, but bad acting, bad script and bad special effects just about sums it up. Since The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable it has been going from bad to worse for M. Night Shyamalan.
  13. Mar 10, 2012
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i dont know what to say.................................. really i dont honestly know
  14. Nov 23, 2011
    This film is UTTER RUBBISH, from the acting to the cgi it self. How can a director start with a film like sixth sense to this carp, it does beggars belief. Firstly the characters/actors were TERRIBLE. in the tv show the first two episodes you felt the connection and bond between the three protagonist, but in the first 20 mins of this film you just DIDN'T feel anything. There should be anThis film is UTTER RUBBISH, from the acting to the cgi it self. How can a director start with a film like sixth sense to this carp, it does beggars belief. Firstly the characters/actors were TERRIBLE. in the tv show the first two episodes you felt the connection and bond between the three protagonist, but in the first 20 mins of this film you just DIDN'T feel anything. There should be an INSTANT bond between katara and ang but there wasn't. Secondly say the blasted names correctly darn its infuriating watching them say it wrong.
    thirdly, and may i add the most IMPORTANT is the story/bending. it was a completely and UTTER joke. Mr night shyamalan if you bothered to watch the show you'd realise ang picked up water bending very very very easily, contrary to what the director believed. All of the bending parts in the film was cringe-worthy and thats why i'm not going in to that. The scariest thing is he's going to inflict more of his rubbish if (i'm sorry to say this) Nickelodeon don't fire him. I don't believe the actors are at fault for this diabolical and atrocious movie, that lies down to the director entirely. What's even more astonishing is the source material is amazing yet he released this joke of a film. I'm sorry i may be extremely harsh but he should NEVER EVER be allowed behind a camera or script AGAIN. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N.B i didn't have time to proof-read sorry
  15. Nov 19, 2012
    How do you take a great TV series with the strong fanbase that it had and simply spit in our faces with crap movie man. The acting was horrid, the casting was just as bad, the CGI was cool yes but the rushed movie with the limited respect to the series was embarrassing. Why would anyone give M. Night the rights to produce this movie? His resume is that of pure mediocrity. Why not JamesHow do you take a great TV series with the strong fanbase that it had and simply spit in our faces with crap movie man. The acting was horrid, the casting was just as bad, the CGI was cool yes but the rushed movie with the limited respect to the series was embarrassing. Why would anyone give M. Night the rights to produce this movie? His resume is that of pure mediocrity. Why not James Cameron, Riddley Scott, Michael Bay even. I hope they re-do this movie the right way. Expand
  16. Dec 25, 2013
    None of the movie made any sense and lack everything that made the tv series special. It even pronounced the names wrong (Ang was pronounced "Ung" and Saka was pronounced "Soaka"). In a nutshell, I want it to be eradicated from the face of the earth!
  17. Nov 5, 2015
    This movie is just terrible, its terrible as an adaption to the great cartoon, and is overall just a terrible terrible terrible movie! This movie should only be watched when you want to terribly punish someone!
  18. Jul 21, 2014
    Literally the worst movie I have ever seen. I absolutely love the series and to see it chewed up and **** out makes me sick. The list goes on and on. Horrible Acting. Horrible Casting. Horrible Writing. Horrible Effects. The whole thing was just one big crap fest. I expected better from M. Night Shayamalan. The movie was littered with so many inaccuracies that I didn't even want to finishLiterally the worst movie I have ever seen. I absolutely love the series and to see it chewed up and **** out makes me sick. The list goes on and on. Horrible Acting. Horrible Casting. Horrible Writing. Horrible Effects. The whole thing was just one big crap fest. I expected better from M. Night Shayamalan. The movie was littered with so many inaccuracies that I didn't even want to finish it. I stopped watching after 20 minutes. It was the biggest waste of money ever. I am truly disappointed and I swear that If there is a sequel I will lose all faith in humanity. And for all of those who loved the movie with out ever seeing the show I have two things to say to you.
    1. Watch the damn show.
    2. If you still like the movie please just stop breathing because when you breathe air is wasted. And air shouldn't be wasted on a low life like you.
  19. May 3, 2015
    Weak casting, horrible CGI, swaps around nations. Horrible. And even worse, it could have been the next Star Wars. It makes Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull look good!
  20. Sep 22, 2015
    Probably the worst film in Shyamalan's roster. The casting is all wrong, the acting is stiff, the script and actors' delivery of said script is awful, the special effects are half-baked, and the film as a whole does not stay true to the source material. Worth a watch if you're a budding filmmaker as an example of how NOT to make a film.
  21. Aug 14, 2010
    I'm being more than a little generous. The movie is the logical extreme of what movies like Avatar have wrought. Excellent aesthetics, absolutely atrocious acting. The movie is a butchering of the cartoon, with horrible, awkward dialogue, a plot consisting mostly of exposition, and flat characters with very little to like.
    The sad thing is that the cartoon is one of the best written and
    The sad thing is that the cartoon is one of the best written and intelligent children's shows in recent memory, yet it gets adapted into a horrific film. If you like the cartoon, watch it for a laugh. If you never watched the cartoon, keep this movie off your list.
  22. Gix
    Dec 22, 2010
    Awful,just awful. everything from acting,story, cgi, all of it was just awful. the names are wrong,the bios's for the main cast is wrong. In short this movie has nothing to do with the show at all, its like m. Night really hated the show and set out to destroy it and he did a good job of trashing everything that is Avatar.
  23. Oct 18, 2010
    The only reason this movie gets a 2 is because of the speical effects. It doesn't show the good and evil in Zuko, it has poor acting, to many movements before any bending is done (you could get smacked in the face before ang can use any air attacks) and how can Indians be portrayed as the bad guys ? Indians are not evil enough, nor strong. Bad casting, bad scripting and bad acting withThe only reason this movie gets a 2 is because of the speical effects. It doesn't show the good and evil in Zuko, it has poor acting, to many movements before any bending is done (you could get smacked in the face before ang can use any air attacks) and how can Indians be portrayed as the bad guys ? Indians are not evil enough, nor strong. Bad casting, bad scripting and bad acting with good speical effect doesn't make for a good movie Expand
  24. Dec 6, 2010
    awful. he changes it from the original awesome series to this shamalayandingdong piece of #$@. stays tru to the series very few times. i hope he will not disgrace the awesome series by nmaking another piece of crap movie.
  25. Oct 26, 2011
    This movie is an insult to Brian Di Martino's masterpiece.... The acting is an insult to young actors everywhere.... The casting is an insult to all Asians....... M. Night Shyamalan is an insult to moviedom.....
    and I am ashamed that he had Indian origins..
  26. Mar 19, 2012
    I have watched this movie ONE 'S and never again!!! as a big fan of the avatar series i just wanted to see what this movie is like despite what the critics and everyone else said this movie is HORRIBLE. Uninteresting, bad dialogue, if you haven't seen the series big parts of the plot are missing. WERE THE F**k are the Kyoshi warriors. This movie is terrible. the only thing that's okay areI have watched this movie ONE 'S and never again!!! as a big fan of the avatar series i just wanted to see what this movie is like despite what the critics and everyone else said this movie is HORRIBLE. Uninteresting, bad dialogue, if you haven't seen the series big parts of the plot are missing. WERE THE F**k are the Kyoshi warriors. This movie is terrible. the only thing that's okay are the effects but that is not enough by a long shot. Expand
  27. Jun 9, 2012
    Many of the characters names were pronounced wrong. The movie was very serious, when the cartoon was lighthearted. They changed the plot, it was chopped into stupid and very unintelligible pieces, the effects were horrible, the characters looked nothing like the originals. The spirit world looked cheesy, appa and momo looked like scraggly puppets attached to the ceiling with "invisibleMany of the characters names were pronounced wrong. The movie was very serious, when the cartoon was lighthearted. They changed the plot, it was chopped into stupid and very unintelligible pieces, the effects were horrible, the characters looked nothing like the originals. The spirit world looked cheesy, appa and momo looked like scraggly puppets attached to the ceiling with "invisible ropes". If you liked Avatar; The Last Airbender, I highly recomend that you don't watch this. Your high hopes will be crushed. Immediately. Don't watch it and hopefully, they will let someone else make the second (but that probably won't be good either).

Ah well.

-kataangforever1
  28. Dec 14, 2012
    I was a huge fan of the original cartoon, in fact it's my favorite TV show. I just don't see how anyone who was a fan of the series could rate this movie any higher than a 1, and how anyone who enjoys movies could rate it higher than a 2. The Last Airbender is the worst movie I have ever seen, and I am making that claim as a disappointed fan and a movie lover. Every aspect of the filmI was a huge fan of the original cartoon, in fact it's my favorite TV show. I just don't see how anyone who was a fan of the series could rate this movie any higher than a 1, and how anyone who enjoys movies could rate it higher than a 2. The Last Airbender is the worst movie I have ever seen, and I am making that claim as a disappointed fan and a movie lover. Every aspect of the film that could have gone wrong went horribly wrong. From the atrocious dialogue, to the mediocre story, to the wooden characters, to the awkward cast, to the sloppy special effects, it all worked together to create one massive piece of s%#t. However, the worst part of it all by far was that M. Night Shamalan challenged the ways of the Emmy winning, critically aclaimed show and failed in every single itty-bitty little way I can think of. Now, people who have never seen the incredible TV show may never see it and any chance of it evolving into a live-action movie, which had so much potential to be good, has been extinguished. As a fan, it is a saddening thought. Expand
  29. Feb 13, 2013
    This has got to be one of the worst movies I watched. And it's so frustrating because I loved the cartoon series! D:

Bad acting, incredibly bad script, bad casting... the only thing good might be the visual effects. But not even that and the fanbase was able to save this from being a huge waste of time.
  30. May 12, 2014
    This is honestly the worst movie you will ever watch in your entire life most likely.

The movie features horrendous acting, bad plot, cheesy special effects... The list goes on and on. I did watch the show, and found it to be one of the best family/kid shows out there. It was entertaining, funny... it was well done. So when I finally saw The Last Airbender, I thought I was going to

I did watch the show, and found it to be one of the best family/kid shows out there. It was entertaining, funny... it was well done. So when I finally saw The Last Airbender, I thought I was going to love it. I heard it was bad, but I figured I would give it the benefit of the doubt.

....
    I don't even know how to describe it. It's like watching a train wreck that happened 50 years ago. It doesnt get worse and worse, it's so bad from the start, that even though it does get "worse and worse" you don't even notice it because your so bored. Even the action in the movie is terrible. The "bending" is crap, everything about it is crap.

The only reason I gave it 1 instead of 0 is because it's entertaining to make fun of, and it's special effects aren't 0 worthy.

Honestly, I suggest watching it if you have nothing better to do. Then you can make fun of it, which I guess is fun.
  31. Kenny
    Jul 3, 2010
    The movie's effects were awesome, but everything else could have been better. The characters' dialogue was very awkward and lacking that certain feel. I watched some of the cartoon episodes and Aang's character was portrayed differently in the film. Aang, as I recall, was quite carefree and had fun in the cartoon. In the film, however, Aang is very serious and I don't The movie's effects were awesome, but everything else could have been better. The characters' dialogue was very awkward and lacking that certain feel. I watched some of the cartoon episodes and Aang's character was portrayed differently in the film. Aang, as I recall, was quite carefree and had fun in the cartoon. In the film, however, Aang is very serious and I don't think he smiled once throughout the film. The story did not have good transitions. I mean I could follow what is occurring, but again it could have been better. I was very bored during the film probably because I did not really care for the characters. My friend who had wanted to see the film fell asleep and so did the person sitting on my other side in theaters. Again, the only parts of the film I enjoyed was the effects. Expand
  32. TooMuchRazMataz
    Jul 1, 2010
    Beyond terrible. Worse than any movie I've ever seen. This was a make or break for whether I would watch any more M. Night movies and boy did he break it. As a huge fan of the original series (I even went dressed up in a home made Water Nation costume), I am in constant disgust of what he did with this movie. When it ended, my entire theater was literally booing and screaming. When Beyond terrible. Worse than any movie I've ever seen. This was a make or break for whether I would watch any more M. Night movies and boy did he break it. As a huge fan of the original series (I even went dressed up in a home made Water Nation costume), I am in constant disgust of what he did with this movie. When it ended, my entire theater was literally booing and screaming. When Shyamalan's name came up for the end credits many profanities were yelled. By far the greatest aspect of the movie, the visuals, still weren't even THAT impressive. If I could give it below a 0, I would. Expand
  33. KC
    Jul 2, 2010
    It was done like he didn't care about the characters and their personalities, and as if pretty graphics with no attention to detail or development = translating an amazing story to the big screen. It was like he watched the series for 10 minutes, cut all the story and left all the "cool looking" parts.
  34. KanaR.
    Jul 2, 2010
    This movie was unthrilling and just completely horrible.
  35. joshuas.
    Jul 3, 2010
    A terrible script intensified by the abysmal acting destroys this already lackluster action film.
  36. CourtneyL
    Jul 5, 2010
    This is one of my favorite series and M. Knight completely ruined it. I was so excited to hear that they have turned this show into a movie. All great expectations went down the drain during the movie. Even the creators of the show pronounced the characters names correctly, so why is it that they changed it? It sounds so stupid. If you have never seen the series, i find that you are going This is one of my favorite series and M. Knight completely ruined it. I was so excited to hear that they have turned this show into a movie. All great expectations went down the drain during the movie. Even the creators of the show pronounced the characters names correctly, so why is it that they changed it? It sounds so stupid. If you have never seen the series, i find that you are going to be SO lost. The actors could have been so much better. Sokka was awful and sukos scar was hardly even there! Aang was not light hearted and Katara was just there. Why did the creators let M. Knight direct this film? He obviously has no idea what he's doing. I'm so upset. The movie is a disaster. I hope when they do the next two books, a new director/actors are chosen. Better yet, they should redo the whole f****** film. Expand
  37. anonymousanonymous
    Jul 6, 2010
    The only reason this movie doesn't get a 0 is because of the cool special effects (saw it in 2-D). If you're a fan of the show don't watch it, the horrible script, worse acting, worse camera work, and worse decision to take the fun out of it make this an awful movie. the fight scenes weren't very good either, unlike in the show it looks like interpretive dance. I The only reason this movie doesn't get a 0 is because of the cool special effects (saw it in 2-D). If you're a fan of the show don't watch it, the horrible script, worse acting, worse camera work, and worse decision to take the fun out of it make this an awful movie. the fight scenes weren't very good either, unlike in the show it looks like interpretive dance. I didn't like anything in the movie besides the special effects, and it basically ruined the show for me. don't waste your time. Expand
  38. BruceK
    Jul 1, 2010
    Waste of money, in my thoughts. It was so random it seemed like the people who planned the movie never even saw the cartoon. The mispronunciations and wrong depictions from the cartoon, this movie was an Epic Fail. They should just re-do the whole movie.
  39. JeffT
    Jul 1, 2010
    Echhh, just plain drivel. No fun at all, nothing interesting in the dialogue, action, or effects...Skip it and watch the cartoon.
  40. AllenM.
    Jul 1, 2010
    Wow. How terrible was that? I can't remember the last time I walked out of a movie but it was all I could do for this. Way to suck all the fun and personality out of one of the best animated series of the last decade, Shyamalan!
  41. JohnP
    Jul 1, 2010
    Shamalamadingdong has ruined yet another movie with his inability to direct himself out of a wet paper bag. And this time he did it on the writing front as well.
  42. TaylorB
    Jul 1, 2010
    I wanted The Last Airbender to be wonderful. I thought maybe the critics were wrong. They are completely accurate the whole movie felt like it was in fast forward. The casting director made horrible choices as well. If anything see this movie for perspective on movies.
  43. JoshM.
    Jul 2, 2010
    When I heard that M. Knight Shyamalan would be directing the live action adaptation of my favorite cartoon of all time, I felt like kicking a puppy. This man is a sham, he is not a director, he is a destroyer of all things glorious. He is nowhere near qualified to direct any film, let alone one with so much potential. He took brilliant source material, and ruined it. I would not be When I heard that M. Knight Shyamalan would be directing the live action adaptation of my favorite cartoon of all time, I felt like kicking a puppy. This man is a sham, he is not a director, he is a destroyer of all things glorious. He is nowhere near qualified to direct any film, let alone one with so much potential. He took brilliant source material, and ruined it. I would not be surprised if the script itself was written in crayon. To Shyamalan, I have only one thing to say. I hope this movie buries you. Expand
  44. DJ.
    Jul 2, 2010
    I'm afraid it really it as bad as everyone says. I had even lowered my expectations accordingly and was still let down. I haven't seen writing this terrible since SW: Ep 2. This movie could make any actor look horrible.
  45. JenK
    Jul 2, 2010
    Now, I had fun watching this movie, but only because I went with 2 of my friends and we all went in to the movie knowing that it was terrible (so we went just to laugh at it). There are so many flaws with this movie it honestly seems intentional. The fighting was alright at some points but then it gets to a point where you are thinking "Let's see...you bend water and this fire bender Now, I had fun watching this movie, but only because I went with 2 of my friends and we all went in to the movie knowing that it was terrible (so we went just to laugh at it). There are so many flaws with this movie it honestly seems intentional. The fighting was alright at some points but then it gets to a point where you are thinking "Let's see...you bend water and this fire bender here is using fire, PUT THE GOD DAMN FIRE OUT SO HE CAN'T USE IT!". There is also some very helpful narration brought to you by Katara and it's about as pointless as giving a snake a pair of shoes; the entire movie, instead of letting the audience SEE what is going on you just hear things like "We went this way and Ang was thinking this and that, so blah blah blah". Why do I have to look at a tree in the distance as she is explaining what evidentally happened instead of seeing what ACTUALLY happened instead!? Also there were some of the corniest moments I have ever seen in a movie, in the Last Airbender. It's just too much to rant about...but if you want to see it anyway, expect a comedy. Expand
  46. AmandaM.
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whatever thread of similarity this movie had with the wonderful cartoon series I had fallen in love with was broken by stilted dialogue, incomprehensible storyline, and useless graphics. Don't watch this. It will break a fan's heart, and it will only confuse the uninitiated.
  47. DavidN.
    Jul 2, 2010
    Felt like the Dragon Ball Z movie, remixed with modern effects.
  48. CranstonP.
    Jul 2, 2010
    M. Night has taken one of the best story lines and ruined it. Mispronouncing names, choosing kids who CAN'T act, and failing to develop the characters, has proven that he no longer knows what he is doing. Unless you have seen the series, you will have no idea what is going on. I have seen the series and I spent the entire movie filling in the gaps in my head. Someone else needs to M. Night has taken one of the best story lines and ruined it. Mispronouncing names, choosing kids who CAN'T act, and failing to develop the characters, has proven that he no longer knows what he is doing. Unless you have seen the series, you will have no idea what is going on. I have seen the series and I spent the entire movie filling in the gaps in my head. Someone else needs to take this project over and remake the first one. Poor form M. Night. Expand
  49. YoungH.
    Horrible directing.
  50. James
    Jul 3, 2010
    I typically trust Ebert, Travers, and others here who awarded this film such scathing reviews. But for some reason I still felt the need to see this movie, thinking that these critics were sometimes subject to harsh overstatement. Unfortunately, this movie was unfathomably bad, and one of the worst films I've seen since 10,000 BC. Do not waste your money on this. The more who do, the I typically trust Ebert, Travers, and others here who awarded this film such scathing reviews. But for some reason I still felt the need to see this movie, thinking that these critics were sometimes subject to harsh overstatement. Unfortunately, this movie was unfathomably bad, and one of the worst films I've seen since 10,000 BC. Do not waste your money on this. The more who do, the more likely it is that the studio will let him make a follow-up, and that is something that nobody wants. Expand
  51. JazzH
    Jul 4, 2010
    M. Night is best at original not putting his artistic spin on an adaption. He white-washed the whole cast not one other leading actors were Asian. Why was Dev Pevel casted let alone considered he doesn't look nothing like prince zuko and didn't attempt to what happen to the hair cut what happen to the burn over his eye. If they do still make chapter two in to a movie I hope M. Night is best at original not putting his artistic spin on an adaption. He white-washed the whole cast not one other leading actors were Asian. Why was Dev Pevel casted let alone considered he doesn't look nothing like prince zuko and didn't attempt to what happen to the hair cut what happen to the burn over his eye. If they do still make chapter two in to a movie I hope it's re-casted w/ possibly with a new director otherwise it's already lost me as a fan! Expand
  52. terryg
    Jul 4, 2010
    Needless to say, as a fan of the cartoon, I was deeply disappointed. The movie felt rushed & peiced together,there was no character development, the dialouge was horrible, and the acting was literally laughable. I do not understand how M.Knight can take something that was handed to him a a silver platter and mess it up so badly. There is just no reason for this.
  53. CharlesR
    Jul 4, 2010
    everything fun or heartwarming or joyful was bleached, wrung, beaten on a rock and then hung out in the breeze. And then it rained and a volcano erupted and all the ash stuck on. This is the in-flight movie they play on that handbasket to Hell.
  54. EM
    Jul 4, 2010
    No surprise the movie sucked given the director at the helm. What is most criminal and continues to be Hollywood's most befuddling mystery: why/how M. Night continues to get projects (to destroy). My kids were doubly disappointed, first by the movie being simply so bad, but second -- and more importantly -- their expectations were crushed given their sheer enjoyment for the animated No surprise the movie sucked given the director at the helm. What is most criminal and continues to be Hollywood's most befuddling mystery: why/how M. Night continues to get projects (to destroy). My kids were doubly disappointed, first by the movie being simply so bad, but second -- and more importantly -- their expectations were crushed given their sheer enjoyment for the animated series. They had such high hopes, and yet I kept warning them that M. Night directing was a very bad sign, he's ruined one movie after another. Daddy was right again. Expand
  55. BrianO
    Jul 5, 2010
    My 4 year old loved only as a 4 year old could. Now me as the grown-up I was highly disappointed. I knew that taking such a rich tapistry such as Avatar:The Last Airbender and adapting it for the silverscreen would be a challege. But M. Night gets a big F in writing. First he screws up the entire sub-plot of the series, which is the love story of Aang and Kateria which is one of the most My 4 year old loved only as a 4 year old could. Now me as the grown-up I was highly disappointed. I knew that taking such a rich tapistry such as Avatar:The Last Airbender and adapting it for the silverscreen would be a challege. But M. Night gets a big F in writing. First he screws up the entire sub-plot of the series, which is the love story of Aang and Kateria which is one of the most endearing parts of the series. Secondly he ignores important foreshaddowing senerios, and dismisses entire major charatcters. Did anyone else miss the Keoshi warriors or Jung Jung? Both which are important elements the later books. The relationship between Zuko, and Iroh was underdeveloped. And last but not least the timeing of important dioglouge was misplaced. On the good visually the movie (in 2D) was well done, and the costumes were correct. The biggest mistake was letting M. Night write the adaption. A well written story can keep an audience in there seats and interested for .3 or 4 hours at a time, Think of Gahndi, or Lawerance of Arabia. Unfortantely, he tried to put a Persian Miniature on a postage stamp, and failed in his effort. Should the series be continued I recommend letting the orginator write the screen adaption. Expand
  56. Paul
    Jul 1, 2010
    Wow, after seeing this film, "Jonah Hex" is like a work of art in comparison. $10 says this wins the worst movie award at the Golden Razzies this year. They can retitle the film "The Last Movie M. Knight Will Ever be Allowed to Make.".
  57. ColinG
    Jul 1, 2010
    Being a huge Avatar fan, I knew that M. Night would need a miracle after seeing the preview in which the main character is a 6 year old, no one else looks anything like what they did in the show, and the fire nation had been transformed into India. The actual movie followed suit, mispronouncing and misrepresenting almost everything I held dear about Avatar: The Last Airbender.
  58. KennethL
    Jul 1, 2010
    I'm personally boycotting the movie "The Last Airbender". Care to join me anyone? The reason? This morning as I search for movies to see with my kids this weekend, "The Last Airbender" seems like a good choice, but then as I see the casting of actors I'm pissed. An asian theme animated show has made into an ALL white actors movie. Hollywood happened to bypass all talented asian I'm personally boycotting the movie "The Last Airbender". Care to join me anyone? The reason? This morning as I search for movies to see with my kids this weekend, "The Last Airbender" seems like a good choice, but then as I see the casting of actors I'm pissed. An asian theme animated show has made into an ALL white actors movie. Hollywood happened to bypass all talented asian actors!!!. A racist movie. Most of you know that I'm a moive lover, so are my kids and some of you. But this "Last Airbender" has become my last gasp of Airsucker. Feel like being push over, Kenneth Expand
  59. LisaZ.
    Jul 1, 2010
    This is the worst adaptation of the wonderful film series I have EVER seen. They changed the names, the storyline (completely) and the acting is horrible! Don't see this movie! We cannot support this atrocious adaptation. Every thing is choppy, nothing makes sense, it assumes you have already seen the series. Don't watch. Trust me, if I ate popcorn during the movie, I This is the worst adaptation of the wonderful film series I have EVER seen. They changed the names, the storyline (completely) and the acting is horrible! Don't see this movie! We cannot support this atrocious adaptation. Every thing is choppy, nothing makes sense, it assumes you have already seen the series. Don't watch. Trust me, if I ate popcorn during the movie, I would've thrown up. Expand
  60. Keegan
    Jul 1, 2010
    Production was okay. The effects were alright. But the dialog was just awful....every bit of conversation was so awkward, and poorly written! I was cringing inside whenever anyone said anything. The story felt ridiculously rushed I'm pretty sure anyone who hasn't seen the show will be incredibly lost. You do get an idea about the plot, but only through awkward, terrible, forced Production was okay. The effects were alright. But the dialog was just awful....every bit of conversation was so awkward, and poorly written! I was cringing inside whenever anyone said anything. The story felt ridiculously rushed I'm pretty sure anyone who hasn't seen the show will be incredibly lost. You do get an idea about the plot, but only through awkward, terrible, forced lines that are....just the worst. I'm rating The Last Airbender a 1, simply for the novelty of the effects and seeing "Ong," "Soaka," and the rest of the gang in live action. I WAS BETRAYED! Expand
  61. Matt
    Jul 1, 2010
    About the only positive thing I can say about the movie is that, visually, they stayed true to the original cartoon series. Otherwise, this was just a trainwreck! Bad acting, bad script, bad editing, bad fight choreography! Avoid this movie and stick with the far superior animated series!
  62. ConcernedCitizen
    Jul 1, 2010
    This movie was by far the worst thing i have seen in my life. Horrible acting. No character development. I cant even describe how distorted the story itself was. Save your money and watch the TV series. Don't even bother seeing it in 3D either if you do decide to see it.
  63. Damon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Wow, I'm giving this movie a 1 just because the special effects were good, other than that this movie was horrible. I am a huge fan of the animated series and waited a freaking year for this movie to come out and now that it finally has i wish it would have never even happened. The music was good but in the wrong parts the acting was horrible the names weren't even right, the Wow, I'm giving this movie a 1 just because the special effects were good, other than that this movie was horrible. I am a huge fan of the animated series and waited a freaking year for this movie to come out and now that it finally has i wish it would have never even happened. The music was good but in the wrong parts the acting was horrible the names weren't even right, the movie just didn't make sense and jumped from scene to scene. I should have known M.K.S would have destroyed this movie, and to top it all off it didn't even have a twist. Expand
  64. hazim
    Jul 1, 2010
    I'm so pissed with Shyamalan. How could he butcher one of the best cartoons of the past decade? There should be a restraining order against him-he can't be within 5 feet of any film studio because almost everything he does turns out to be horrendous egotistic garbage devoid of any emphasis on trying to tell a good story, just trying to tell HIS story. I mean. the series' I'm so pissed with Shyamalan. How could he butcher one of the best cartoons of the past decade? There should be a restraining order against him-he can't be within 5 feet of any film studio because almost everything he does turns out to be horrendous egotistic garbage devoid of any emphasis on trying to tell a good story, just trying to tell HIS story. I mean. the series' had amazing story telling potential, which should leave little room for messing up, from the horrible casting to the sloppy 3D....fans of the cartoon are most likely going to be super pissed. Expand
  65. KevinO
    Jul 1, 2010
    This movie was hilariously awful. Almost worth seeing just to laugh at. Almost.
  66. JeremyH.
    Just horrible.
  67. MarissaL.
    Jul 2, 2010
    This movie was a travesty in comparison with the original animated series. Endless streams of exposition (sometimes repeated again in a "voice-over flashback"), wooden, wooden dialogue, and nonexistent 3D. The movie also takes the animated series' progressive handling of gender and race issues and skewers it. Every villain in the movie is a person of color. Every heroic character This movie was a travesty in comparison with the original animated series. Endless streams of exposition (sometimes repeated again in a "voice-over flashback"), wooden, wooden dialogue, and nonexistent 3D. The movie also takes the animated series' progressive handling of gender and race issues and skewers it. Every villain in the movie is a person of color. Every heroic character with a name is white. Every person of color who does a heroic action--aside from Iroh--needs inspiration from a white character before he can take action. In the movie, a woman never gets to show herself the equal or better of a man in any act that both are capable of doing. And adding a CGI dragon and three 3D CGI dewbacks did nothing to cover the massive amounts of boring exposition, genderfail, and racefail. Expand
  68. MattK.
    Jul 2, 2010
    Your money would be better spent on highly addictive, life threatening drugs, they would do less damage to your intelligence and self-esteem. Terrible movie, and a failure in every imaginable way.
  69. SamanthaS.
    Jul 2, 2010
    The movie was nothing like the cartoon. It left out important details and moved to fast for the viewers. For the people who never seen the cartoon will really be lost to what's going on. Also there is no reason why this should be a 3D movie, there were no special effect...M. Night Shyamalan missed the mark on this one.
  70. ParinS
    Jul 2, 2010
    Awful, and not helped by the amount of people troling. Collin M. - youz trollin. And I take my hat off to you.
  71. KevinM.
    Jul 2, 2010
    They pronounced all the names wrong and it was terrible.
  72. ScottM.
    Jul 2, 2010
    Incredibly frustrating and inexplicable debasement of simply wonderful source material.
  73. TonyB.
    Jul 2, 2010
    I'll start with the disclaimer that I'm a fan of the series. But I'll set away from that to review this movie on it's own merits. This movie is lacking two key features a movie needs. 1) Characters. It's nothing but people saying lines. You could swap around actors and it would have made no difference. There was zero performance in this movie. 2) Story. This movie I'll start with the disclaimer that I'm a fan of the series. But I'll set away from that to review this movie on it's own merits. This movie is lacking two key features a movie needs. 1) Characters. It's nothing but people saying lines. You could swap around actors and it would have made no difference. There was zero performance in this movie. 2) Story. This movie is a series of events poorly linked together by narration. They tried to compress a whole season of TV storyline into 2 hours, and they failed. At the end of the movie, I felt like I had sat through maybe 30 minutes of a story, despite how much ground they tried to cover. So you may be able to put those two things aside and try and enjoy the action. Good luck. The action is boring. The bending is fairly well done with CGI, but the fight choreography is not interesting at all. it's slow, lacking skill, and looks clumsy. There are not knock down drag out fights in this film. Just weird slow down/speed up cinematography with CG over it. Now, back as a fan of the series. If you love the series don't see this movie. It's not going to ruin your love of the series, it's just not good. They make weird changes, like pronouncing almost every name differently for no reason. Ang is now "awng" and Saka is now "Soo-ka" It's just unexplained and weird. This movie is just like you watch short snippets of the first season, but with poor acting and boring fight choreography. Oh, and how could I forget, the dialogue is first grader material. I mean, it's TERRIBLE. "I searched the library, and found a scroll in the library!" Sometimes a movie will use poor dialogue to help move along the story, or to try and explain a lot in a little time. This move was NOTHING BUT THAT. Right from the start, the first 5 or 10 minutes it was awful, and it continued the whole way through. Honestly, even if these people CAN act, they're going to have a hard time doing it with this dialogue. This movie is the antithesis of the series. No character, no plot, not fun, no good action. It's not just a failure to fans of the series, this movie is a failure to movies as a whole. It's just poor film making from beginning to end. Expand
  74. Ben
    Jul 2, 2010
    Giving this movie a 1 is generous. How does M. Night call himself a fan of the show? How does he call himself a director? Both fans and newcomers will absolutely hate what I begrudgingly call a film. Shame on you M. Night for continuing your egotistical joyride in the movie industry. The only redeeming quality to this movie is that I hope is put the nail in his directorial coffin.
  75. ShawnB
    Jul 3, 2010
    This movie is a colossal waste of time. Critical aspects of the plot were left out, the movie scenes hopped around at a dizzying rate, the acting was thoroughly unconvincing, and the explanations were excessive and sometimes confusing. The characters had no depth. The bending -- which is thier ability to manipulate air, water, fire, and earth -- was just a bunch of weak tai chi moves with This movie is a colossal waste of time. Critical aspects of the plot were left out, the movie scenes hopped around at a dizzying rate, the acting was thoroughly unconvincing, and the explanations were excessive and sometimes confusing. The characters had no depth. The bending -- which is thier ability to manipulate air, water, fire, and earth -- was just a bunch of weak tai chi moves with a little a bit of special effects at the end. The ending was ridiculous. This movie was bad, very bad. If you were into the series, you're going to need counseling after the movie. Expand
  76. AndrewL
    Jul 3, 2010
    Anyone rating this higher than a 4 is just trying to trick you into making a terrible, terrible mistake. The movie was feculent. Poor acting, endless exposition, completely drained of humor and characterization. You could do a seminar on how not to make a movie from this film.
  77. NeilP
    Jul 3, 2010
    If anyone has even watched the anime show, they'll know that those dumb hour long fancy movements that they shoved at us in the movie will have left right when they saw it because it doesn't take literally 30 seconds of arm exercises to bend water in the real show.
  78. EJ
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am 17 years old and i loved the avatar series and my opinion of this movie is comming from a fan of the show's point of view; being that I am a part of the teenage demographic that this movie was targeting, I think I can speak for most airbender fans. this was by far the biggest disaster of a movie I have seen since Dragon Ball came out. I guess the best way to write this review is I am 17 years old and i loved the avatar series and my opinion of this movie is comming from a fan of the show's point of view; being that I am a part of the teenage demographic that this movie was targeting, I think I can speak for most airbender fans. this was by far the biggest disaster of a movie I have seen since Dragon Ball came out. I guess the best way to write this review is by the rating scale provided by yahoo: story, acting, direction, visuals, and overall. Story: I have got to give them credit for trying to stick to the series's storyline, but they made a massive fail in execution. The movie tried way too hard to reenact each episode and fit it into a movie that's under 2 hours long. also, the fire benders couldn't bend fire out of the air (all but one) which was EXTREMELY disappointing and i didnt understand why they chose to make that change. Acting: As for the acting of the movie, it was horrendous: everyone in the film either over-acted the whole time or didn't act it out enough to make me feel attached to the characters. when there was tragedy going on I either felt like "what?" or "so, I've only seen you in like 3 minutes of screen time. who cares if your not around anymore." in other words, I never got attached to the characters like i usually do in good films. some of the dramatic moments were actually more humorous than sad. Direction: the direction of this movie was EVERYWHERE! I watched all of the episodes from the cartoon since it came out when i was about 14 years old so i know all about what they talked about in the movie with no explanation necessary, but for anyone that was new to the airbender storyline would have no idea what was going on after about 1/3 of the way through. they mentioned very important things from the series that play a major part in the story very quickly with little or no explanation IE: the "hidden library" was HUGE in the series and definitely required more talking than it was given in the movie, the spirit world left you feeling confused about what was going on, and alot more that im not even going to get into. Visuals: the bending in the movie really left you wanting more (not in a good way), it was super disappointing and did not look very fun to watch. the bending looked more like a dance with no elemental outcome than bending. im not too concerned with "the scar" that everyone in getting all worked up about, because if someone had a burn wound like he did in real life it would look very similar to what we saw in the film. anyway, i wish they had put more effort out on the bending factor and not chose to skip or shorten fight scenes by merely "scaring" away the bad guys (you'll understand if you dare to watch this movie). Overall: the movie was overall a cop-out of a film. i guarantee that the fans would have loved to wait a little longer for the films release if they would have gotten a better job on just about everything in the movie. I'd like to end this review on a good note and that note is..... (drum role) the trailers were pretty sweet looking, just watch them and bask in the mystery of not watching the film. trust me, it'll be better if you not know what it actually looks like, just use those images to visualize what it looks like and you will have a better time thinking about it, i did. Expand
  79. JoradT
    Jul 4, 2010
    Think Dragonball Evolution but WORSE. Nuff said.
  80. JJ
    Jul 4, 2010
    Uwe Boll eat your heart out.
  81. AustinS.
    Jul 4, 2010
    I don't get it. How could he possibly ruin this movie??? All he needed was to copy and paste the scripts from the original series, add in some appropriate actors for the role (perhaps some that had emotions and fit the race roles), and get the names right. Instead we get slow action with incomprehensible plot line. I thought the series was amazing and would love to see the second two I don't get it. How could he possibly ruin this movie??? All he needed was to copy and paste the scripts from the original series, add in some appropriate actors for the role (perhaps some that had emotions and fit the race roles), and get the names right. Instead we get slow action with incomprehensible plot line. I thought the series was amazing and would love to see the second two with all new actors, except for Dev Pate who did welll, and replace Shyamalan with the original writers and directors. Shyamalan hasn't had a decent movie since The Sixth Sense. I see dead career for this director and writer. Expand
  82. SunnyS
    Jul 5, 2010
    I'm a fan of the series. A huge fan really. I believe M Night really tried hard to create a good movie, but the idea of this movie should have been dropped ages ago. The main problem was is that such a HUGE storyline had to be covered in a matter of less than two hours. Therefore, the entire movie suffered. Parts were left out, random stuff had to be made up. Also, the characters I'm a fan of the series. A huge fan really. I believe M Night really tried hard to create a good movie, but the idea of this movie should have been dropped ages ago. The main problem was is that such a HUGE storyline had to be covered in a matter of less than two hours. Therefore, the entire movie suffered. Parts were left out, random stuff had to be made up. Also, the characters were pretty bad, and were under-developed as a rest. Other problems include that the director, for whatever reason, decided to change fundamental parts of the series. Idk why he made the fire nation a bunch of brownies and made the protagonists white. Also did he really have to change the pronunciations? It was a noble effort, but it was truly a dismal failure. I like the graphics though. Expand
  83. ChadS
    Jul 6, 2010
    "You think you're heaven-sent/Gonna get your halo bent," goes Calvin Johnson, as only the ex-Beat Happening frontman can, on "Halo Bender" from The Halo Benders' second album "Don't Tell Me Now"(a collaborative effort with Built to Spill's lead singer Doug Martsch), a song that perfectly captures the egomaniacal auteur's fall from grace, especially when the atonal "You think you're heaven-sent/Gonna get your halo bent," goes Calvin Johnson, as only the ex-Beat Happening frontman can, on "Halo Bender" from The Halo Benders' second album "Don't Tell Me Now"(a collaborative effort with Built to Spill's lead singer Doug Martsch), a song that perfectly captures the egomaniacal auteur's fall from grace, especially when the atonal godfather of indie ululates(with some paraphrasing): "It's the ["Last Air]bender"/A real career-ender," which sadly just might be the case. So murky, so haphazardly executed are the special effects, let alone, "mis-en-scene" after "mis-en-scene", it wouldn't be a stretch to say that this would-be fantasy epic is, at times, the filmic equivalent of ramshackle indie rock. Clearly, staging action scenes is not this writer/director's forte. They have the look of a full-dress rehearsal with the cameras rolling. For instance, a confrontation that pits Aang and the Earth Benders against the Fire Benders seem to unfold a step too slow, as the Avatar(Ana Eng from the They Might Be Giants song would have been more entertaining), who seems to control air with the use of hula, is undermined by elemental special effects that materialize at an almost glacial pace, as the mortal enemies use air, water, and fire against each other to farcical effect. Even worse than the failed stabs at spectacle, the filmmaker, who normally coaxes wonderful performances out of his young perfomers(Rory Culkin & Abigail Breslin from "Signs", and especially, Haley Joel Osment from "The Sixth Sense"), gets three bewilderingly bad ones here(especially Jackson Rathbone: Is Sokka supposed to be a coke addict?), although to be fair, the dialogue is atrocious in its sheer perfuntoriness; the words nothing more than time-filers to bide time before the next incompetent action set-piece. While Aang's true identity and the James Cameron film both sharing the same name can't be helped, the filmmaker, like M.C. Hammer going after Michael Jackson(back in the day), seemingly wants moviegoers to think of him in Cameron's league, since "The Last Airbender" references "The Abyss"(the water-shaping and the giant wave), which is unfortunate because the abyss is where this prodigiously talented(but obviously slumping) filmmaker is heading toward. Expand
  84. TylerS
    Jul 6, 2010
    Poorly written, rushed plot, horrible dialog, painful acting, amazing effects, ok fight scenes. The "benders" took way to long to get the elements moving. Watch the cartoon series and skip this disaster.
  85. JakeP
    Jul 6, 2010
    Absolutely terrible in every respect. The movie was incredibly dull; I found myself more concerned with how uncomfortable the seats were than what was going on in the movie. The acting was incredibly poor, the special effects at times were okay, but nothing special. The fight choreography was the worst I've seen in quite some time. The plot had more holes in it than old socks. Absolutely terrible in every respect. The movie was incredibly dull; I found myself more concerned with how uncomfortable the seats were than what was going on in the movie. The acting was incredibly poor, the special effects at times were okay, but nothing special. The fight choreography was the worst I've seen in quite some time. The plot had more holes in it than old socks. Moreover, there was absolutely NO character development. We aren't given any reason to care about Sokka, Aang, or Katara! They are just there. I went into the theater unaware of the bad reviews or anything like that, and I thought it was absolutely terrible. Why do they allow M. Knight to continue making movies? This was so poorly written that no matter who directed it, it wouldn't come out with decent reviews. A failure in every possible way. I guess if you are going to fail, fail big. That's exactly what M. Knight did. Expand
  86. JennaC
    Jul 1, 2010
    This has to be the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. I have grown up with the series Avatar: The Last Airbender, and really do love it. Everything done in this movie was just wrong. They didn't even really follow their own story in some ways. Aside from murdering the show, the actors can't act. It's like watching a childrens puppet show. There were two emotions This has to be the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. I have grown up with the series Avatar: The Last Airbender, and really do love it. Everything done in this movie was just wrong. They didn't even really follow their own story in some ways. Aside from murdering the show, the actors can't act. It's like watching a childrens puppet show. There were two emotions through the whole thing... flat, and upset. If you have watched the TV series, you know that Sokka (Katara's brother) is sarcastic and funny. There was pretty much no humor. Aang is supposed to be this fun-loving kid who loves to play and mess around. None of this was there. Don't even get me started on Zuko.. Two words: no temper. I could name a million of other things that the got wrong with the characters. I would have walked out of the movie in the first half hour, but I payed for it. In conclusion, don't see this movie. It is a waste of time, money, and more time for people like me that feel like they need to warn you so they come on here and leave a review. Expand
  87. DiegoL
    Jul 1, 2010
    This is one of those few special movies that gives you a reason to kill yourself.
  88. ErnestoS
    Jul 1, 2010
    The movie is an absolute mess. Confusing storyline, horrible acting and dialogue, fake cgi and incredibly boring. It talks more about action than shows. This is the worst 3d conversion I have ever seen. So dark that you can't see what's going on in the night scenes, so dark that it masks all the color. You have to take the glasses of to see what's going on. And all that for The movie is an absolute mess. Confusing storyline, horrible acting and dialogue, fake cgi and incredibly boring. It talks more about action than shows. This is the worst 3d conversion I have ever seen. So dark that you can't see what's going on in the night scenes, so dark that it masks all the color. You have to take the glasses of to see what's going on. And all that for what, to see 3d effects that hardly look 3d? This is the worst movie I have seen in 3 years, and they charge an extra fee for it. Shyamalan has sunk to an absolute low and Paramount, shame on you, for the worst 3d exploitation job ever. Expand
  89. BryanC
    Jul 1, 2010
    Just terrible. Acting, script, pronunciation, etc. Wow as a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender the series, I am offended and saddened to have watched a beloved cartoon reduced to 150 million dollars worth of trash compressed into barely 2 hours. I felt like I was watching a youtube parody.
  90. MitchellV
    Jul 1, 2010
    Absolutely terrible. Did Shyamalan even watch the cartoon before writing this movie. Half of the names were mispronounced and he left out key scenes and characters from Book 1 of the cartoon. Shaun Toub and Dev Patel were the only good actors in this movie. Everyone in the theatre booed when the credits rolled. If they decide to make two more movies they are going to need a different Absolutely terrible. Did Shyamalan even watch the cartoon before writing this movie. Half of the names were mispronounced and he left out key scenes and characters from Book 1 of the cartoon. Shaun Toub and Dev Patel were the only good actors in this movie. Everyone in the theatre booed when the credits rolled. If they decide to make two more movies they are going to need a different director and a completely different cast. Expand
  91. ChadM
    Jul 1, 2010
    But the series was so good, how could this happen.
  92. Ty
    Jul 1, 2010
    This movie butchered the original cannon. How hard is it to pronounce names and words in general correctly? Every time I heard Aang pronounced Ung or Avatar pronounced Ovatar I cringed. Severely disappointing for true fans. Do not support this movie please. Go buy the original season sets.
  93. AnnaZ.
    Jul 2, 2010
    Ridiculously boring, too much exposition, unconvincing characters and world
  94. daveS.
    Jul 2, 2010
    The movie was by far one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The acting was terrible, even for a childs movie. The plot was hard to follow, and changing the pronunciation of the characters names was retarded. M. Night should just quit directing anything, because when its all said and done, the last good movie he made was "The Sixth Sense". I've seen the cartoon and it blows the The movie was by far one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The acting was terrible, even for a childs movie. The plot was hard to follow, and changing the pronunciation of the characters names was retarded. M. Night should just quit directing anything, because when its all said and done, the last good movie he made was "The Sixth Sense". I've seen the cartoon and it blows the movie out of the water, and hopefully they don't let him make the next 2 books. (If they're even made because of how crappy the first one was). Expand
  95. EchoJ.
    Jul 2, 2010
    For those who have seen the show, the movie was a disaster. The pronunciations were wrong, major events were left out, key characterizations were missing. It was all out horrific and I am appalled that I wasted the money on something that I was so looking forward to.
  96. Miguela
    Jul 2, 2010
    This was quite possibly the most disappointing moment of my life, after waiting an entire year for this movie to come out, it fell completely flat, with unnecessary name changes to horrible special effects, to bug-eyed acting, the cartoon is more life-like and realistic than this. I almost cried in the theater.
  97. DamonP.
    Jul 2, 2010
    I'm pretty sure The Happening was actually a movie about what happened to people after they watched M. Knight's remake of one of the best animated series ever made. I was close to throwing my body into a moving combine too after I saw it.
  98. ToddD
    Jul 2, 2010
    100minutes of my life I will never get back. Worst movie I have seen since "To Die For" back in 1995. The story is weak. The cast was horrible. Monkies could have made a better adaptation.
  99. sameera
    Jul 2, 2010
    I have watched the cartoon series many times over and M Night Shyamlan has made a mess of what was originally a wonderful story.
  100. NickC.
    Jul 3, 2010
    I spent $13 on a ticket to see "The Last Airbender" in 3D on opening night. I was nervous due to the overwhelmingly negative response by professional movie critics everywhere. Critics very rarely tend to agree with each other, and yet they were united in their stance that this movie was cinematic trash. Yet, I still gave the movie the benefit of the doubt because I had enjoyed some poorly I spent $13 on a ticket to see "The Last Airbender" in 3D on opening night. I was nervous due to the overwhelmingly negative response by professional movie critics everywhere. Critics very rarely tend to agree with each other, and yet they were united in their stance that this movie was cinematic trash. Yet, I still gave the movie the benefit of the doubt because I had enjoyed some poorly reviewed movies in the past and I was a fan of the animated series on Nickelodeon. This was the biggest mistake I have made in all of my life. Everything about the cartoon has been lost in translation to film, even things as simple as the pronunciation of the main character's name. The screenplay and dialogue were extremely poorly written. The acting could have been great and it wouldn't have saved this movie, but it's arguably one of the worst parts of the movie. The 3D effects are completely unnecessary and for about 75% of the movie, there are next to no 3D effects. I have seen plenty of bad films in my life, and thankfully none of them have been memorable. This movie stands alone however, because I will never be able to forget just how awful this movie was. It is, with no exaggeration, the worst movie I have ever seen. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    This is all enormously disappointing, of course, since the best we could hope for from a live-action "Avatar" adaptation is the mind-blowing equivalent of our first encounters with wire-fu, rather than this cartoony nonsense.
  2. The movie is "Star Wars" with martial arts, plus a touch of "The Last Emperor." Technically, it's not badly done; I enjoyed the physical clash of elements, the water balls rising like sculpture in the air.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Bowles
    He hasn't mastered the craft yet, but M. Night Shyamalan may be on to something with this action-movie thing.