2.7

1. Dec 18, 2014
    I hate this movie. it's atrociously acted with terrible dialogue that concentrates on exposition rather than character, awful effects that for some reason have to be done in one take and a complete disregard to what made the source material. this film really should have ended M. Night Shyamalan's career and rightfully so how dare he do this to one the greatest animated series of all timeI hate this movie. it's atrociously acted with terrible dialogue that concentrates on exposition rather than character, awful effects that for some reason have to be done in one take and a complete disregard to what made the source material. this film really should have ended M. Night Shyamalan's career and rightfully so how dare he do this to one the greatest animated series of all time that so many still analyse and cherish to this day Expand
  2. Dec 5, 2014
    Dear Shyamalan (or however the hell you spell it):

Dear Shyamalan (or however the hell you spell it):

This big fat zero is what I give you for gleefully sh*tting all over one of, if not my favorite TV shows ever. As a loving fan of the series, picture this: All of the ethnically diverse characters have been replaced with generic white kids who can't act to save their lives, witless, humorless dialog that makes you want to beat your head against a table after ripping off your ears (seriously; two of the three main characters names are laughably mispronounced), no development whatsoever was given for said characters, a very poor attempt to cram twenty-something episodes of backstory into a two-hour movie, element bending that looks and behaves hardly anything like the animated series (not calling it a cartoon) to the point where 100% of the fast-paced awesomeness is removed, and effects are now crap that would have hardly been passable in 2005. Just let all that soak in. And as for M. Night Sh*tupon, please, stop making movies. You had a couple of good movies starting out, but now you're just sucking your own ****, too blind to realize that you caused millions of innocent people's childhoods to be raped and tortured. In terms of worst movies ever, for me, this takes the crap-cake.
  3. Dec 5, 2014
    Avatar the last airbender is probably the worst m.night movie there is. It is based on the kids tv show, but honestly it wasn't as good. I'm not the biggest fan of the tv show but the movie is absolutely rubbish. It is not worth watching as the plot doesn't really make sense, and it's a full length film therefore you end up sitting there for around 2 hours watching something whichAvatar the last airbender is probably the worst m.night movie there is. It is based on the kids tv show, but honestly it wasn't as good. I'm not the biggest fan of the tv show but the movie is absolutely rubbish. It is not worth watching as the plot doesn't really make sense, and it's a full length film therefore you end up sitting there for around 2 hours watching something which shouldn't have been made. Expand
  4. Oct 17, 2014
    Air, Water, Earth, Fire. Four nations tied by destiny when the Fire Nation launches a brutal war against the others. A century has passed with no hope in sight to change the path of this destruction. Caught between combat and courage, Aang discovers he is the lone Avatar with the power to manipulate all four elements. Aang teams with Katara, a Waterbender, and her brother, Sokka, toAir, Water, Earth, Fire. Four nations tied by destiny when the Fire Nation launches a brutal war against the others. A century has passed with no hope in sight to change the path of this destruction. Caught between combat and courage, Aang discovers he is the lone Avatar with the power to manipulate all four elements. Aang teams with Katara, a Waterbender, and her brother, Sokka, to restore balance to their war-torn world. Expand
  5. Oct 16, 2014
    The Last Airbender is one of the worst films ever and definitively the worst film directed by M.Night Shyamalan, as a massive fan of the show i was extremely disappointed in this film, converting the first season that lasts 470mins into 103mins is atrocious, there's a lot of key elements and i mean a lot of key elements missing, the casting and acting are probably the worst part about theThe Last Airbender is one of the worst films ever and definitively the worst film directed by M.Night Shyamalan, as a massive fan of the show i was extremely disappointed in this film, converting the first season that lasts 470mins into 103mins is atrocious, there's a lot of key elements and i mean a lot of key elements missing, the casting and acting are probably the worst part about the film and isn't even backed up by the special effects which are horrible, specially when 160 million (inflated) dollars went into this film and it still didn't deliver anything to enjoy, this movie is a disappointment to fans and film making. i'll definitively give this a 0. Expand
  6. Oct 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rarely have I seen a movie receive such hate. Don't believe the haters, their feedback is WAY out of proportion (caveat - I've never seen the TV show). The movie isn't hard to follow. The production design is in general very good. That flying animal thing was ridiculous looking but the Fire Nation ships and armor looked grim and menacing. The effects are up to par and the action is good (caveat again - I didn't see this in 3D and some things looked like they could have been obnoxious in 3D). This is by no means a perfect movie. Some of the dialog and acting is wooden or borderline terrible and some of the emotional set-ups are dumb. "I'll miss you more than you'll ever know", why because you held hands for 5 minutes!?! The race casting is conspicuous, interesting from a minority director. The good guys are white and all the bad guys are middle eastern. I mean come-on, that lily white Gran-Gran wouldn't last a day in an arctic environment. But ultimately I enjoyed the film and (similar to The Golden Compass) I'm disappointed I can't see the rest of the story. Expand
  7. Oct 3, 2014
    Abysmal. It's as if the director had never seen the original series. He takes the liberty to change core concepts about the world and bending in general, not to mention that almost every character's name is pronounced wrong. Absolute trash. Go watch the show instead. And if you've already seen it, watch it again if you have to, just don't watch this garbage.
  8. Sep 27, 2014
    Oh my god this is terrible. Easily one of the worst movies i have ever seen and probably ever made. The movie is paced like crap, the visual effects are very mediocre and the green screen is horrendously noticeable. The story is also very bad and has a lot of things that don't make sense (Earthbending prison being pretty much a camp and they could bend and escape at any moment but theyOh my god this is terrible. Easily one of the worst movies i have ever seen and probably ever made. The movie is paced like crap, the visual effects are very mediocre and the green screen is horrendously noticeable. The story is also very bad and has a lot of things that don't make sense (Earthbending prison being pretty much a camp and they could bend and escape at any moment but they don't for some reason)

And the characters......my god what have they done to you guys. All the characters are extremely lifeless (except for two, somewhat) and are absolutely boring and unfunny. They have none of the charisma, humor or development that they had in the show and you could give two craps less about them. Oh yeah and the mispronunciations are terrible too and it's also wrong when it comes too the cultural aspect (if you watch the show, you know what i'm talking about)

The ONLY positives of this movie are Iroh and Zuko. Those two are the only characters in the entire movie to ACTUALLY have some kind of emotional background (Zuko) or at the very least give a crap about someone (Iroh). Zuko also has the best acting and the best action scenes as The Blue Spirit because it looks practical and actually looks like fighting instead of dancing.

This movie is just horrible. Save yourself the time and save yourself the heartbreak if you're a fan of the show, and avoid this movie at all costs. It's one of the worst movies ever.
  9. Sep 19, 2014
    Well this movie really sucked. I remember being really excited when I went to see this movie, and it felt really disappointed :( Still, I can't understand how could they f*ck that up. The action scenes were flat and boring, and I felt kinda mad when I saw that earthbenders scene, where levitating a simple rock required six dudes. There are practically no bending scenes and CGI was reallyWell this movie really sucked. I remember being really excited when I went to see this movie, and it felt really disappointed :( Still, I can't understand how could they f*ck that up. The action scenes were flat and boring, and I felt kinda mad when I saw that earthbenders scene, where levitating a simple rock required six dudes. There are practically no bending scenes and CGI was really terrible. Also I don't get why the actors aren't even the same skin color as in the cartoon. Even that unknown child actors were really bad, it was obvious they had no idea who they were in the movie. I seriously hope Shalamayan doesn't make another Avatar (Legend of Aang or even Legend of Korra) movie NEVER. Expand
  10. Sep 10, 2014
    Maybe the biggest rape of source material in movie history. The charm, heart and soul of the original is lost. The well written characters are gone. Only the names of the characters are well transferred. The story is compressed and soulless. It takes a lot of effort to destroy such good sourch material.
  11. Aug 24, 2014
    Oh this feeling of disappointment and frustration I get every time I see a movie that had such potential, but which wasted it.

The Last Airbender... based on an anime, this is the first part, I think. The story does end in a way that promises a sequel. I don't think that's an excuse to leave the story so... unfulfilling. The scenes kept jumping without coherency a few times, but it's

The scenes kept jumping without coherency a few times, but it's a good thing that didn't happen all that much. More annoying was that we had plenty of Katara's inner dialogue, which in some cases was the only way to tie some events together and introduce new people. Then again, that dialogue didn't fit into the story since it kept jumping in only when they would have been forced used more time to explore/explain something, and sometimes they even explained something she had already gone over. Talk about inconsistence.

All in all, the writing was rather poor. Such a fascinating world, history and cultures should be explored and not just thrown to the screen so that they can move on. All in all every scene suffered from an air of hurried storytelling. New characters appeared before you even got to know the old ones, and the acting really suffered from that as well; no one had the chance to actually perform, making it into a wooden farce. You couldn't possibly feel anything for anyone when they just stepped in without proper introduction.

I was hoping this movie would be better than some of my friends said it was. I cannot help but feel disappointed. The special effect were just about as good as can be expected, but nothing to be amazed about.

If they make a sequel, I hope they up their game a little!
  12. Jul 31, 2014
    Well, I enjoyed it! I also don't get why people were so harsh on this film. I found it captivating with entertaining special effects and was more than happy to watch start to finish.

I have no idea why people slam it so much, but hey I thought it was good :)
  13. Jul 21, 2014
    Literally the worst movie I have ever seen. I absolutely love the series and to see it chewed up and **** out makes me sick. The list goes on and on. Horrible Acting. Horrible Casting. Horrible Writing. Horrible Effects. The whole thing was just one big crap fest. I expected better from M. Night Shayamalan. The movie was littered with so many inaccuracies that I didn't even want to finishLiterally the worst movie I have ever seen. I absolutely love the series and to see it chewed up and **** out makes me sick. The list goes on and on. Horrible Acting. Horrible Casting. Horrible Writing. Horrible Effects. The whole thing was just one big crap fest. I expected better from M. Night Shayamalan. The movie was littered with so many inaccuracies that I didn't even want to finish it. I stopped watching after 20 minutes. It was the biggest waste of money ever. I am truly disappointed and I swear that If there is a sequel I will lose all faith in humanity. And for all of those who loved the movie with out ever seeing the show I have two things to say to you.
    1. Watch the damn show.
    2. If you still like the movie please just stop breathing because when you breathe air is wasted. And air shouldn't be wasted on a low life like you.
  14. Jul 1, 2014
    Awful, just awful. It is so bad you'll want to never watch an M. Night Shymalan movie ever again. The only thing redeemable about this disaster is that it never made enough money in order to make a sequel.

All in all, you're way better off watching the show, which is absolutely outstanding despite my low level of familiarity with it.
  15. Jun 24, 2014
    This is my least favorite movie. I'm not saying its the worst movie ever made, its just the movie I hate the most. I loved the TV show and M. Night RUINED it. I just want to stop talking about this because it hurts to even think about it.
  16. Jun 24, 2014
    With "The Last Airbender", M.Night Shyamalan sends a clear message to all fans of his former thrilling, dense direction (The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable) all over the world: "Stop watching my movie"
  17. Jun 14, 2014
    I don't know what the hell is up with Shyamalan recently. I think The Last Airbender is a career killer for sure and to that I'd say good luck making more crappy movies. Adding insult to injury, I hated this movie and After Earth as well. I found The Last Airbender guilty for laughable bad acting (including Dev Petel's awful performance), lame CGI effects, tasteless plot segments, noI don't know what the hell is up with Shyamalan recently. I think The Last Airbender is a career killer for sure and to that I'd say good luck making more crappy movies. Adding insult to injury, I hated this movie and After Earth as well. I found The Last Airbender guilty for laughable bad acting (including Dev Petel's awful performance), lame CGI effects, tasteless plot segments, no character development, and a blatant excuse of storytelling that none of the fans from the TV series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" couldn't find the film actually makes sense. It's true that the series have ended for 4 seasons, but I hope Nickelodeon should stick to family-oriented movies and promised they should not and will not make a "Legend of Korra" movie. There's no way in hell I'm going to see another rotten attempt by Moron Night Shyamalan ever again. Bar none, The Last Airbender is one of the worst movies that your mom just warned you about. Expand
  18. Jun 7, 2014
    Take the beloved Avatar series and take away all of it's humor to become a horrible adaptation.

This is one of the worst adaptations of all time, while the entire story happens in front of you, you will never be invested into what is going on, you will never care for the main characters to get out of their predicaments, you will never look forward to see what is going to happen next, you will simply be looking at the screen trying to figure out what is going on and wandering "what's", "why's" and "how's" to the point of absolute boredom because is not even funny... and you wanna know why? because there is NO humanity in this movie; all the characters talk like robots, the passing is warped, the writing is moronic and there is no directing... like there was nobody telling the actors what they had to do, they where pretty much just reading out the lines on the script...

The animated series is full of adventure, personality, color and fun that this movie never shows anywhere, there is no love and passion for this movie at all... is just a bad movie, plain and simple...
  19. May 25, 2014
    Not so sure how M. Night Shyamalan dropped the ball on this one but i guess his last couple movies before were not that great either so i couldn't expect anything else. I seen the the trailer for this when i was at the movie theater not sure what movie i was seeing. Anyways it wasn't that bad of a trailer i was kinda hyped for it. Then it came out and was just slammed by critics and fansNot so sure how M. Night Shyamalan dropped the ball on this one but i guess his last couple movies before were not that great either so i couldn't expect anything else. I seen the the trailer for this when i was at the movie theater not sure what movie i was seeing. Anyways it wasn't that bad of a trailer i was kinda hyped for it. Then it came out and was just slammed by critics and fans so i just never got around to watching it.

Just about a week ago i finished watching the television series fully for the first time and wow this film is nothing like the show. while this movie is only based off of (book one: water) They had changed so much it left me wondering how they thought they could do better then the already existing source material. With changing the pronunciation of some characters names to even changing the where some of the story is based at.

The acting just makes it even worse with emotionless expressions and horrible dialog that doesn't get better throughout it's just painful to watch. The pace of the film was just terrible to say the lest felt like the story was being rushed and it was just making me mad. I was 50 minutes into the film and it felt like i knew nothing about any of the characters the connection between all of the characters was nothing like it was in the show.

Overrall this film was JUST HORRIBLE i give it a 0.1 i don't plan to watch this movie ever again in fact im sticking it in my box of old movies to give away because this is just unforgivable M. Knight will never come back from ruining this masterful television show
  20. May 24, 2014
    The movie is great. I really liked the whole sequence, the story is very well told. The script and the acting of the actors are excellent and let the desire to have a following.
  21. May 15, 2014
    This movie may be appealing for lower state of mind but for all others it is boring and an insult to the real Avatar: The Last Airbender and it's fans. Everything about this movie is terrible. Avoid at all costs.
  22. May 12, 2014
    This is honestly the worst movie you will ever watch in your entire life most likely.

The movie features horrendous acting, bad plot, cheesy special effects... The list goes on and on. I did watch the show, and found it to be one of the best family/kid shows out there. It was entertaining, funny... it was well done. So when I finally saw The Last Airbender, I thought I was going to

I did watch the show, and found it to be one of the best family/kid shows out there. It was entertaining, funny... it was well done. So when I finally saw The Last Airbender, I thought I was going to love it. I heard it was bad, but I figured I would give it the benefit of the doubt.

....
    I don't even know how to describe it. It's like watching a train wreck that happened 50 years ago. It doesnt get worse and worse, it's so bad from the start, that even though it does get "worse and worse" you don't even notice it because your so bored. Even the action in the movie is terrible. The "bending" is crap, everything about it is crap.

The only reason I gave it 1 instead of 0 is because it's entertaining to make fun of, and it's special effects aren't 0 worthy.

Honestly, I suggest watching it if you have nothing better to do. Then you can make fun of it, which I guess is fun.
  23. Apr 21, 2014
    I don't think it is as bad as everyone says it is but still nothing good at all. I thought the beginning of the movie was ok introducing everything that part was entertaining enough. And then I thought it started going down hill from there with a couple memorable scenes until the end of the movie. Still not a good movie but not one of the worst either.
  24. Apr 20, 2014
    A disgrace. The show this movie was based on was pure entertainment tinged with a gripping coming-of-age story, characters you wanted to be real, and some of the best animated combat ever. This is an empty vessel of plot, explanation, and exposition, with special effects that rarely pop and inexperienced child actors that make you feel as if you're watching an elementary school play. It'sA disgrace. The show this movie was based on was pure entertainment tinged with a gripping coming-of-age story, characters you wanted to be real, and some of the best animated combat ever. This is an empty vessel of plot, explanation, and exposition, with special effects that rarely pop and inexperienced child actors that make you feel as if you're watching an elementary school play. It's a terrible movie and an insulting adaption of one of the best TV shows out there. M. Night is a butcher. Expand
  25. Feb 6, 2014
    A disgrace to a show that clearly knew how to be awesome, and a disgrace to cinema all together. The last airbender is without a doubt the worst movie I've ever seen.
  26. Jan 28, 2014
    I genuinely think that this movie is not as absolutely unbearable and completely full of **** as most people make it out to be. But it is undeniably bad. Nominating Dev Patel for a Golden Razzie was very harsh but overall the acting is atrocious. Mainly due to the title character Aang played by Noah Ringer. How the hell did he even get through the audition process with a face which looksI genuinely think that this movie is not as absolutely unbearable and completely full of **** as most people make it out to be. But it is undeniably bad. Nominating Dev Patel for a Golden Razzie was very harsh but overall the acting is atrocious. Mainly due to the title character Aang played by Noah Ringer. How the hell did he even get through the audition process with a face which looks constantly surprised and in pain at the same time. Pretty much everyone else with the exception of Dev Patel (who is alright) is bad, but not to the point of self harm like Noah Ringer. Reading other reviews most people claim that the cheesy dialogue is the worst thing about the whole movie, I have to admit I agree with them all. Sure it isn't Tommy Wiseau's The Room, but damn this is written by the same guy who directed The Sixth Sense. What the **** happened? Out of every second of The Last Airbender which I watched the only above average and enjoyable aspect of it was Zuko's storyline (Dev Patel). Maybe if I could be bothered to watch the anime TV series it might be better, I hate to admit it but I actually thought his banishment was pretty cool. However the last scene (which is only in there for the minute chance of a sequel) they totally ruin it and attempt to bring in even more family conflict to create drama. Every attempt at drama in the movie fails though, I did not care one bit about the bull**** love story between Sokka and Yue (who's penis haircut was the best part of the movie). Overall M.Night Shyamalan really should have made the movie much less crap for it to be enjoyable. I have never summarised a movie so bluntly before. Expand
  27. Jan 12, 2014
    Just awful. Not only does M. Night Shamalamadingdong completely butcher everything good about the tv show like the epic large scale fight scenes involving powerful benders battling it out with great direction and technique (Now just floating bits of rock shot at people that could easily have been thrown more effectively), the developed characters (there is no emotion in this film,Just awful. Not only does M. Night Shamalamadingdong completely butcher everything good about the tv show like the epic large scale fight scenes involving powerful benders battling it out with great direction and technique (Now just floating bits of rock shot at people that could easily have been thrown more effectively), the developed characters (there is no emotion in this film, everything we hear anyone say is monotone back story, due to fact they tried to fit 500 minutes of plot from the first season of Avatar into a 90 minute movie) and the beautiful world you want to explore with these characters on their adventure (the setting just feels uninspired as **** no effort went into replicating the amazing detail of the show's world), he also shows how awful he is at directing fight scenes (they are seriously boring and drawn out), casts some of the worst child actors ever to grace the big screen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbi7xUd5TPc *sigh*) and fails to record some sound and light his scenes properly! This is a disgrace to the tv show and films in general, whoever gave this production the thumbs up was probably the same person who approved Dragon Ball Evolution. Avoid this at all costs. Expand
  28. Jan 6, 2014
    Um dos filmes trágicos do cinema
  29. Jan 5, 2014
    Wow was this movie a disappointment! The whole movie felt rushed! I think that was the biggest problem with the Last Airbender. This should be made into a series so they can get into the story better, but instead everything is thrown into one movie. If this movie is the first time you`re learning about these characters you will not care for them.I use to watch the show and that was so muchWow was this movie a disappointment! The whole movie felt rushed! I think that was the biggest problem with the Last Airbender. This should be made into a series so they can get into the story better, but instead everything is thrown into one movie. If this movie is the first time you`re learning about these characters you will not care for them.I use to watch the show and that was so much better on every level. The Trailer sure got me excited, but man did it fail.I guess if you have no expectations it is an alright movie, but for the rest of us it fails hard! Expand
  30. Jan 2, 2014
    Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great TV show one of the best cartoons I have ever seen. This movie is terrible. Fans of the show will hate the film. The movie rushes through the plot only featuring the beginning and finale of the show and one or two moments in between. The acting is terrible with a lot of bad actors and underdeveloped characters that are nothing like those from the show.Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great TV show one of the best cartoons I have ever seen. This movie is terrible. Fans of the show will hate the film. The movie rushes through the plot only featuring the beginning and finale of the show and one or two moments in between. The acting is terrible with a lot of bad actors and underdeveloped characters that are nothing like those from the show. Additionally, various character names are mispronounced, which is insulting to the fans of the show. The effects and action are decent at times but for the most part it looks stupid. Even if you don’t watch the show you will dislike this movie. There is no substance in terms of story or characters. If you haven’t seen the show this movie will confuse you because you will not understand what you just watched and why this show is popular. If you haven’t seen the movie yet avoid it at all costs. This is an awful movie with almost nothing good about. The show offers nothing in terms of characters and story, which will piss off die hard fans and confuse non-viewers. This movie is garbage and I am grateful that the other two season were not given movies. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    This is all enormously disappointing, of course, since the best we could hope for from a live-action "Avatar" adaptation is the mind-blowing equivalent of our first encounters with wire-fu, rather than this cartoony nonsense.
  2. The movie is "Star Wars" with martial arts, plus a touch of "The Last Emperor." Technically, it's not badly done; I enjoyed the physical clash of elements, the water balls rising like sculpture in the air.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Bowles
    He hasn't mastered the craft yet, but M. Night Shyamalan may be on to something with this action-movie thing.