2.6

1. Oct 16, 2011
    "The Last Airbender", a movie based on the famous TV series for kids, is just simply terrible. The story doesn't make any sense and is chopped into crude pieces. The acting and special effects are terribly illustrated like coloring black ink over a well-done portrait of someone. Man, all I can conclude is RAZZIE BUZZ!!
  2. Nov 19, 2010
    I like watching the series on Nickelodeon but this movie was just so boring and I know it wasn't to long but it felt like it. I hope that if they make a sequel is better than the first one.
  3. Dec 11, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching this movie i can now say that M. night shama-whatever should quit making movies. it is truly that awful. I'm a huge fan of the avatar series, and before watching it i knew it would be bad, but what i didn't think it would be this bad. for one thing they misrepresented the intentions of the fire nation when they started the war. the Kioshi warriors were completely absent from the movie. none of the character really felt like they should, they included the blue spirit (a character established in the third book), and the fire benders couldn't make fire from their chi like they could in the cartoon. instead they had to bend an existing flame. for the normal viewer who wouldn't care abut these or notice, the movie still has horrible pacing and dialog, the original series had wonderful and very natural dialog but the movies dialog is awkward and poorly paced. the acting was also awe full because half the time the actors seemed uninterested and the rest of the time they were just standing awkwardly. especially the fire bender soldiers, they would just stand around awkwardly attacking the air until it was their turn to get there butt kicked by one of the protagonists. so if your a fan don't expect any sort of fan fair, or general accuracy. if you have never watched the show then you may sightly enjoy the movie however even if it was disconnected from the Avatar franchise, its still not a good movie. in all if you think you might be interested in the Avatar series go rent the DVD's. Expand
  4. Jul 21, 2012
    The Last Airbender is all eye candy and has no heart like the Nickelodeon cartoon it is based upon. The only thing really going for is the somewhat decent visual effects used for the action and bending effects. Other than that, the story is dull, the dialogue is uninspiring, and the acting is utterly atrocious. If the visual effects were not decent, this film could have been a lot worse.The Last Airbender is all eye candy and has no heart like the Nickelodeon cartoon it is based upon. The only thing really going for is the somewhat decent visual effects used for the action and bending effects. Other than that, the story is dull, the dialogue is uninspiring, and the acting is utterly atrocious. If the visual effects were not decent, this film could have been a lot worse. This is by far the worst film M. Night Shyamalan has ever made. Expand
  5. Dec 25, 2013
    None of the movie made any sense and lack everything that made the tv series special. It even pronounced the names wrong (Ang was pronounced "Ung" and Saka was pronounced "Soaka"). In a nutshell, I want it to be eradicated from the face of the earth!
  6. Sep 10, 2014
    Maybe the biggest rape of source material in movie history. The charm, heart and soul of the original is lost. The well written characters are gone. Only the names of the characters are well transferred. The story is compressed and soulless. It takes a lot of effort to destroy such good sourch material.
  7. Jan 2, 2014
    Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great TV show one of the best cartoons I have ever seen. This movie is terrible. Fans of the show will hate the film. The movie rushes through the plot only featuring the beginning and finale of the show and one or two moments in between. The acting is terrible with a lot of bad actors and underdeveloped characters that are nothing like those from the show.Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great TV show one of the best cartoons I have ever seen. This movie is terrible. Fans of the show will hate the film. The movie rushes through the plot only featuring the beginning and finale of the show and one or two moments in between. The acting is terrible with a lot of bad actors and underdeveloped characters that are nothing like those from the show. Additionally, various character names are mispronounced, which is insulting to the fans of the show. The effects and action are decent at times but for the most part it looks stupid. Even if you don’t watch the show you will dislike this movie. There is no substance in terms of story or characters. If you haven’t seen the show this movie will confuse you because you will not understand what you just watched and why this show is popular. If you haven’t seen the movie yet avoid it at all costs. This is an awful movie with almost nothing good about. The show offers nothing in terms of characters and story, which will piss off die hard fans and confuse non-viewers. This movie is garbage and I am grateful that the other two season were not given movies. Expand
  8. Sep 11, 2010
    I'm an idiot. Getting fooled in because I am such a fan of the cartoon. This is one of the worst films I have ever seen in my life. Alienating, boring, effortless and lifeless which by any means never do any justice to the cartoon show. The acting and dialogue is horrendous, the editing is awkward, the characters are boring, being badly written, the script is pathetic and the plot isI'm an idiot. Getting fooled in because I am such a fan of the cartoon. This is one of the worst films I have ever seen in my life. Alienating, boring, effortless and lifeless which by any means never do any justice to the cartoon show. The acting and dialogue is horrendous, the editing is awkward, the characters are boring, being badly written, the script is pathetic and the plot is completely rushed. Avoid it. It sucks. Expand
  9. Nov 22, 2010
    I guess you cant expect anything less from M Night Shayamalan, whos movies continue to get even worse as his carreer moves along. I dont think that he should quit the movie biz, i just think he should stop writting and directing movies peroid!
  10. Nov 18, 2010
    Wrong score on first review oops
    Wrong score on first review oops
    If you are unfamiliar with the movies source material, the Animate series of a similar name this movie will have little to offer you ; If you are familliar or even a fan however, it will have plenty to offer, unfortunately all of it's offerings are bad. First off, I do want to give an honorable acknowledgement to the special effects in the move as well as trying to stay somewhat close to the story, one can understand that sacrifices have to be made to take a full season of a series into a one sitting movie timeframe. What kills the movie however is the acting, Bad diologue bad choreography, just about every name is mispronounced which to an extent is understandable perhaps if the source is either in a foreign language or a book but not if the source is in the movies originating language and has already established such things. Also the story is very shallow and some scenes such as a segment where the main character and their friend are practicing water bending stances (based off of tai chi) you can tell that they are supposed to be in sync with each other but are fare from it. All in all, at best this movie could be accepted as a very well done fan movie done by a third party with some of the best special effects programs available to the public, but when one considers that this is published and backed by major production companies, all of this films shortcomings are unacceptable. I find it to be hard to believe that this movie can leave a positive impression on any viewer, fan or not
  11. Nov 19, 2010
    Do they hire people to give this movie a score of above 0? I thought Dragonball Evolution was brutal, but its actually not that bad compared to this POS.
  12. Nov 22, 2010
    It is really depressing that something like this could have come out of such enjoyable source material. There is good intent, but that is about it. Save yourself some time and watch that.
  13. Nov 26, 2010
    Wow M. Night really messed up on this one. I saw no parts similar to the series in the movie. Oh and that wall of water was like the worlds biggest psych out! Hope they don't do book two.
  14. Feb 28, 2011
    TNot only considered the worst adaptation of a cartoon series, b ut also the worst martial arts film ever. Not only is it a butchering for fans but also non-fans will find not only everything wrong but also a poo man's recap of the first season. The dialogue is dumb, the acting is unwhelming, the 3D is a joke. Not to mention that its getting a sequel of a planned trilogy.
  15. Nov 29, 2010
    While I respect M. Shyamalan's talents, I've got to say this is the worst film of 2010 (I bet nothing will top it). It will win the Razzie Awards, but its box office is so huge that they are going to make a sequel! No need for a big review. While the effects are quite good, I hated the acting and everything else about it. This is just like a Disney TV show with good effects. It is nowhereWhile I respect M. Shyamalan's talents, I've got to say this is the worst film of 2010 (I bet nothing will top it). It will win the Razzie Awards, but its box office is so huge that they are going to make a sequel! No need for a big review. While the effects are quite good, I hated the acting and everything else about it. This is just like a Disney TV show with good effects. It is nowhere good enough to be in the big screen, yet people still come to check it out. The Last Airbender is by the far worst film of the decade and M. Shyamalan is the worst director of the decade for creating this film. Expand
  16. Dec 13, 2010
    Has M. Night Shyamalan done it again? No, no he hasn't. Or actually if I look at it from a different point of view, maybe I can say that he has done it again. Based off of his last few movies, which were huge disappointments, The Last Airbender certainly followed suit. With a spectacular trailer and a well-written cartoon series to back it up, it was sad to see that the great storyteller,Has M. Night Shyamalan done it again? No, no he hasn't. Or actually if I look at it from a different point of view, maybe I can say that he has done it again. Based off of his last few movies, which were huge disappointments, The Last Airbender certainly followed suit. With a spectacular trailer and a well-written cartoon series to back it up, it was sad to see that the great storyteller, Shyamalan, did a horrible job at telling the story of The Last Airbender.

Read full review at FlicksWorthWatching.com
  17. Dec 4, 2010
    Wow, poor acting, worse dialogue just an overall terrible film. The movie had a TON of potential, yet it lacked just about anything to make it worthy outside of it's concept. Whoever casted and wrote the dialogue in the film should be shot. They made Hayden Christianson(Anakin Skywalker) look smooth in speech.
  18. Mar 15, 2011
    With an incomprehensible plot, laughable dialog, poor actors, and flat action sequences, The Last Airbender is a mockery of the original cult TV series and one of the worst blockbusters of 2010.
  19. Jul 26, 2011
    Okay, how do I put this........THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST MOVIES EVER!!!! Don't watch this. This is a disgrace to the TV show. The special effects are great, but the dialouge is laughable and the acting is wooden. Do NOT watch this. I hope Noah Ringer is better in Cowboys vs Aliens than he was in this. People often ask, "What went wrong" about this movie. A better question is: What DIDN'T go wrong?
  20. Oct 8, 2013
    This is what you get for cramming an entire season's worth of story into a film that isn't even 2 hours long. The plot is terrible, The acting is pathetic, and the special effects are very weak. Easily one of the top 10 worst films of all time.
  21. May 31, 2013
    M. Night probably never watched the animated show 'cause this film is just a complete disaster! First of all, they pronounced almost every character's name wrong, the story is up, the characters themselves aren't even correct, and the special water, earth, wind, and fire effects (which are very cool) don't seem right! I never minded M. Night's films, but this was just completelyM. Night probably never watched the animated show 'cause this film is just a complete disaster! First of all, they pronounced almost every character's name wrong, the story is up, the characters themselves aren't even correct, and the special water, earth, wind, and fire effects (which are very cool) don't seem right! I never minded M. Night's films, but this was just completely unacceptable! I had enough of his movies, you know what... F**K YOU NIGHT!!! Expand
  22. Nov 14, 2013
    I saw the midnight showing with a group or hardcore friends and fellow fans. The audience was actually laughing throughout that movie at just how bad it was. The only thing that this film has going for it, is the special effects. Thats it. Its bad. Stay away.
  23. Dec 27, 2013
    An absolutely terrible movie, The Last Airbender takes the first season of a decent kids show and makes it into a mess of horrible acting and confusing plot that makes the movie completely unlikeable by newbies and more than disappointing for fans of the series, having watched it with the former and been the latter. However, the saddest part of this film might be that it takes itself soAn absolutely terrible movie, The Last Airbender takes the first season of a decent kids show and makes it into a mess of horrible acting and confusing plot that makes the movie completely unlikeable by newbies and more than disappointing for fans of the series, having watched it with the former and been the latter. However, the saddest part of this film might be that it takes itself so seriously. In the end, it deserves ever Razzie it got. Expand
  24. Oct 16, 2014
    The Last Airbender is one of the worst films ever and definitively the worst film directed by M.Night Shyamalan, as a massive fan of the show i was extremely disappointed in this film, converting the first season that lasts 470mins into 103mins is atrocious, there's a lot of key elements and i mean a lot of key elements missing, the casting and acting are probably the worst part about theThe Last Airbender is one of the worst films ever and definitively the worst film directed by M.Night Shyamalan, as a massive fan of the show i was extremely disappointed in this film, converting the first season that lasts 470mins into 103mins is atrocious, there's a lot of key elements and i mean a lot of key elements missing, the casting and acting are probably the worst part about the film and isn't even backed up by the special effects which are horrible, specially when 160 million (inflated) dollars went into this film and it still didn't deliver anything to enjoy, this movie is a disappointment to fans and film making. i'll definitively give this a 0. Expand
  25. Dec 22, 2014
    From a studio dumb enough to give the directing Job to M. Night Shyamalan come a disappointing,Stupid and insulting adaptation of the Last Airbender. It's another worst cartoon adaptation that barely made all fans want to do suicide and wants to kill M.Night Shyamalan.This Movie is just plain Bad and needs to be erase in our minds forever!
  26. Aug 16, 2010
    It seems like this film might end up as the next Battlefield Earth. Battlefield Earth, which was released at the beginning of the last decade, went on to be the worst film of that decade. The Last Airbender, which was released at the beginning of this decade, WILL be the worst film of the decade.
  27. Oct 18, 2010
    The only reason this movie gets a 2 is because of the speical effects. It doesn't show the good and evil in Zuko, it has poor acting, to many movements before any bending is done (you could get smacked in the face before ang can use any air attacks) and how can Indians be portrayed as the bad guys ? Indians are not evil enough, nor strong. Bad casting, bad scripting and bad acting withThe only reason this movie gets a 2 is because of the speical effects. It doesn't show the good and evil in Zuko, it has poor acting, to many movements before any bending is done (you could get smacked in the face before ang can use any air attacks) and how can Indians be portrayed as the bad guys ? Indians are not evil enough, nor strong. Bad casting, bad scripting and bad acting with good speical effect doesn't make for a good movie Expand
  28. Oct 9, 2010
    "Last Airbender was such a rushed messed , it goes to quickly tho the action scenes were pretty neat , it could not save , these terrible performances , Awful script , and Laughable Dialogue ,One of the worst films released this year" .. F
  29. Oct 11, 2010
    Great visuals. Decent Story. Horrible dialogue! I would say take the risk just to see the visuals and be submerged in this world but I can't just because the dialogue (and maybe the acting?) is just that bad. There's no justification for the horrible dialogue given how clever, witty, and funny the animated series is. So disappointed.
  30. Oct 2, 2010
    I feel sad when I read that M. Night actually has children and they watched the series together. He has just managed to destroy the series with a single blow.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    This is all enormously disappointing, of course, since the best we could hope for from a live-action "Avatar" adaptation is the mind-blowing equivalent of our first encounters with wire-fu, rather than this cartoony nonsense.
  2. The movie is "Star Wars" with martial arts, plus a touch of "The Last Emperor." Technically, it's not badly done; I enjoyed the physical clash of elements, the water balls rising like sculpture in the air.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Bowles
    He hasn't mastered the craft yet, but M. Night Shyamalan may be on to something with this action-movie thing.