The Last Airbender

2.6

1. DamonP.
    Jul 2, 2010
    I'm pretty sure The Happening was actually a movie about what happened to people after they watched M. Knight's remake of one of the best animated series ever made. I was close to throwing my body into a moving combine too after I saw it.
  2. ToddD
    Jul 2, 2010
    100minutes of my life I will never get back. Worst movie I have seen since "To Die For" back in 1995. The story is weak. The cast was horrible. Monkies could have made a better adaptation.
  3. sameera
    Jul 2, 2010
    I have watched the cartoon series many times over and M Night Shyamlan has made a mess of what was originally a wonderful story.
  4. NickC.
    Jul 3, 2010
    I spent $13 on a ticket to see "The Last Airbender" in 3D on opening night. I was nervous due to the overwhelmingly negative response by professional movie critics everywhere. Critics very rarely tend to agree with each other, and yet they were united in their stance that this movie was cinematic trash. Yet, I still gave the movie the benefit of the doubt because I had enjoyed some poorly I spent $13 on a ticket to see "The Last Airbender" in 3D on opening night. I was nervous due to the overwhelmingly negative response by professional movie critics everywhere. Critics very rarely tend to agree with each other, and yet they were united in their stance that this movie was cinematic trash. Yet, I still gave the movie the benefit of the doubt because I had enjoyed some poorly reviewed movies in the past and I was a fan of the animated series on Nickelodeon. This was the biggest mistake I have made in all of my life. Everything about the cartoon has been lost in translation to film, even things as simple as the pronunciation of the main character's name. The screenplay and dialogue were extremely poorly written. The acting could have been great and it wouldn't have saved this movie, but it's arguably one of the worst parts of the movie. The 3D effects are completely unnecessary and for about 75% of the movie, there are next to no 3D effects. I have seen plenty of bad films in my life, and thankfully none of them have been memorable. This movie stands alone however, because I will never be able to forget just how awful this movie was. It is, with no exaggeration, the worst movie I have ever seen. Expand
  5. WilliamJ
    Jul 3, 2010
    This Movie was very dissapointing. The acting was very horrible, the script was plain, and the climax was very anti-climatic. I had high expectations for this movie...but it was a struggle to stay asleep. May I please get back the hour + I spent painfully in theatre?
  6. EbriamH
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not good, just not good.
  7. yuyof.
    Jul 3, 2010
    The most horrible and bad made film EVER! Night lost his good direction and talent. Poor man that steal money from poor Americans. He is a talent-less man. Can we sue him? Fire him from making movies. My rate? F
  8. Krishenn
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hollywood needs to stop its racist casting if it expects to continue to appeal to a non-white audience.
  9. AlistairF.
    Jul 3, 2010
    Uwe Boll, should have been the director.
  10. Luciano
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm a big fan of the tv show the butchard the movie paramount should be boycotted for this sh%T. I have never been so disappionted. what were they thinking. was mks drunk or high when he made the movie. find out were the 150 mill went because it didn't go in to the movie.
  11. OliviaR
    Jul 4, 2010
    I rather plunge to my death than watch three seconds of this "movie." But hey, at least we all know that M Night hasn't lost it! He hasn't lost the ability to induce mass suicide. It's a shame that I don't have an actual "movie" to review.
  12. PhillipR
    Jul 4, 2010
    Had potential but did not deliver a single drop or it. I was really anticipating this movie but ended up greatly disappointed.
  13. ChristopherH
    Jul 4, 2010
    Not nearly as bad as the drones are saying. Geez, it's like they've got a personal score to settle with the reviews. Was it great, no; but my 9-year old loved it. In the grand scheme, who is this movie for anyway!
  14. Charlesf
    Jul 4, 2010
    This is not a good movie. Very, very poorly done.
  15. Angtheairbender
    Jul 5, 2010
    Well, Metacritc's score is almost spot on. This film has tons of problems. And you can tell this film was rushed so badly and almost no heart was put into it. The characters have little personality, and if you're going to this film to see the cleverness and for all of the great memorable characters, you will be very disappointed. Almost no humor is present, and Sokka Well, Metacritc's score is almost spot on. This film has tons of problems. And you can tell this film was rushed so badly and almost no heart was put into it. The characters have little personality, and if you're going to this film to see the cleverness and for all of the great memorable characters, you will be very disappointed. Almost no humor is present, and Sokka doesn't even tell one joke in the entire film or make a sarcastic remark, which is what his whole character is about!! The effects are mediocre at best, and could've been so much better. I don't know why the say some of the names differently, which is stupid. The charcters hardly resemble themselves from the series except Katara and Sokka which made me happy, but then again Sokka isn't funny at all, and all Katara does is cry and protect Aang. I hated all the things they changed in this movie too; it just ruined it and insulted my intelligence.. The only scenes I appreciated and liked isthe beginning in the South Pole, the blue-spirit scenes and the very end. And the action scenes you see in the trailers, is basically all of the action that's in the movie, which just ruins it even more. Shyamalan didn't care about this movie at all or very little. The entire first season crammed into 90 minutes is not enough for this film, and if he cared about it, he would give the fans what they wanted and make it a 2 1/2 hour film with an extended edition for the die-hard fans and actually have character-development and a story that resembles the actually first season by 70% atleast... It just makes me sad that this film was made, it should've never been created in the first place, and did nothing for the fans and it tells you Shyamalan cares more about money than us... I'm so angry; I could've written a screen-play ten times better than this!! And I wish I could direct a new-film just to get it right!!! The only reason it deserves a four which is being nice, is that it looks like some effort was put into it and atleast they got some characters that resembled their animated counterparts and it was somewhat related to Book One and gave me inspiration to write my own screenplay to redo this horrible masterpiece, and making go back to watching and appreciating the animated series even more. Have super low expectations if you see this... Short Review: It's not a good film and it will disappoint many Avatar fans, and the characters have no personalities and the film is way too rushed. Also has lots of stupid changes and Shymalan is a horrible director. Don't see this in the theaters, rent it if you're a fan or you just want to entertain and calm down some kids or just for a good pop-corn film. I would've liked this film more if I didn't see this in the theatres, because I expect such a better experience. Have low expectations in be in a good mood for a better experience. 4/10. Shorter Review: Just rent it if you're a fan with very low expectations. 4/10. I don't have much to say about the acting since they're just kids and haven't really started an acting career yet. And is mostly Shyamalan's fault for not being a better director. Expand
  16. AangA
    Jul 6, 2010
    1) My name is Aang not Oong! Everyone else's name is correct, why not mine? 2) My markings (Arrow) are a lite blue (kind of turqoust) color with no hieroglyphics. And it goes all the way down and around my body (arm and legs). 3) I'm a kid that loves to play around in all the books. I'm not that serious, yet. 4) Sakka, is a comedic strategist who loves to pick on his 1) My name is Aang not Oong! Everyone else's name is correct, why not mine? 2) My markings (Arrow) are a lite blue (kind of turqoust) color with no hieroglyphics. And it goes all the way down and around my body (arm and legs). 3) I'm a kid that loves to play around in all the books. I'm not that serious, yet. 4) Sakka, is a comedic strategist who loves to pick on his sister. He is not a serious warrior. 5) Katara, is a strong courageous and inspiring leader, not a needy little girl. 6) The "Fire Nation" wants to take over the world. They don't care about the spirit world. This movie was the worst movie my kids and I saw all year! We walked out very disapointed. My recommendation to all of my friends is to wait for the dvd to see me and not to waste your money! Expand
  17. meh
    Aug 11, 2010
    The animated version is far and away the pinnacle of its existence. This movie felt far short of that pinnacle. Stiff acting, bad casting and the machinations of M. Night ruined what would have been an epic film. Now, it's just one of those movies used to babysit your nephew on a Saturday night.
  18. Jul 27, 2011
    Sometimes one goes into a film with some preconceived notions about it due to critics' reactions, and with "The Last Airbender" those notions get re-affirmed after watching the film. This is, surely, the worst film I've seen in the last year. It is impressively bad on so many levels! The screenplay was simply atrocious, with horrible dialogue and plot. Stunningly badly written. AnotherSometimes one goes into a film with some preconceived notions about it due to critics' reactions, and with "The Last Airbender" those notions get re-affirmed after watching the film. This is, surely, the worst film I've seen in the last year. It is impressively bad on so many levels! The screenplay was simply atrocious, with horrible dialogue and plot. Stunningly badly written. Another stunningly bad thing was the acting. Honestly, this had some of the worst acting I've seen on a major motion picture ever. It is TV-action-flick level of badness, which says a lot. The visual effects and art direction might be the highlight of the film, but even those are not that spectacular. At times, the film would remind me of the awkward cinematography of "The Golden Compass" and this feeling that the film is just too theatrical and "set up," instead of feeling more realistic, like other highly visual effect heavy films have managed, such as The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or Avatar. I could go on and on about how bad the film is. It is a pity that it ended up being so bad, since it was obvious Shyamalan was planning a sequel (or maybe a trilogy - those are popular nowadays, it seems). Something tells me that that (luckily for the audiences) won't be happening any time soon. Expand
  19. Oct 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a fan of the series, I would say it deserves nothing more than ZERO. Shyamalan is a great director, but he should at least had taken a look at the entire first season before starting this movie. Iroh don't have his ironical tranquility, Socka and Aang are serious all the time, awful dialogues, Zuko is totally different. Katara started the rebellion with the Earthbenders at that prison(and Aang and Socka weren't taken arrested)... I could continue, but it would take too much. In summary, the movie has nothing to do with the cartoon, and have a lot of mistakes. It is hollow, just a lot of special effects, nothing more. Expand
  20. Nov 26, 2011
    One of the worst films you will ever see. Terrible acting, A poor script that made absolutely no sense, and it tried to cram an entire season filled with countless details into a poor 2 hour film. This is absolute trash.
  21. Aug 17, 2012
    Out of all the M. Night Shyamalan films I've seen, this has got to be the worst one that is in need to retire. I do like his 3 movies, The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs. But his ideas started to get bland, boring, and silly after those 3. But this one just killed it completely, he needs to retire.
  22. Aug 3, 2011
    I didn't know anything about Avatar before I saw this film so I had to take it at face value. I was pretty impressed by the whole thing. The story was easy to follow and the acting was good. Nothing ground breaking but this is a child's movie. With that in mind, I was expecting to see just what I saw. The Last Airbender does a good job telling what needs to be said to keep the sory going.I didn't know anything about Avatar before I saw this film so I had to take it at face value. I was pretty impressed by the whole thing. The story was easy to follow and the acting was good. Nothing ground breaking but this is a child's movie. With that in mind, I was expecting to see just what I saw. The Last Airbender does a good job telling what needs to be said to keep the sory going. It doesn't focus on the small details that fill out a series. The serious tone keeps the audience from being jerked back and forth from silliness to realism making the focus more clear. Also the film makes me care about the characters and not just wanting to see who does a cool trick. Some elements felt a little rushed but not so much that I was confused. The dialogue does well by not telling everything in the first five minutes leaving me with things to look forward to. There was room for improvement but I was overall satisfied. Expand
  23. Apr 7, 2011
    A disgrace to the Avatar animated series. Much was expected by fans but most of the main events in the first chapter of the chapter where cut out and not many main characters where presented. A bad movie ending with a bad cliff hanger and a sequal that might not even see the light of day.
  24. Jan 22, 2011
    M. Night Shylaman does it again! That is not a good thing. If I were not a fan of the original series, this would be a 2 or a 3. He absoulutley ruined a potentially great movie. The acting was not awful, but the dialouge sure was!! Honestly I didn't know why people made a big deal in the casting when they should be concerned in who is directing and writing this THING!!! It doesn't makeM. Night Shylaman does it again! That is not a good thing. If I were not a fan of the original series, this would be a 2 or a 3. He absoulutley ruined a potentially great movie. The acting was not awful, but the dialouge sure was!! Honestly I didn't know why people made a big deal in the casting when they should be concerned in who is directing and writing this THING!!! It doesn't make sense and it was rushed. And I don't understand why they made the film dark and humourless, yet still wanted to stay within a PG rating? That's like making Terminator happy and G rated or Despicable Me dark and R rated!!! There are a few pros though. For starters the special effects are beautifully done and Dev Patel and Noah Ringer showed they can carry the role into a future film ( if there is one). The story also has alot of potential if they just lighten it up and take their time in developing their characters. It also wouldn't hurt to fix up the dialouge. If by some miracle they do make a sequel, they should dump ShylaBAD for ruining a potentially great first in a planned trilogy. Expand
  25. May 16, 2011
    Now that this film has a total of 5 razzies, all of the people who gave it a good review should be ashamed of themselves. It wasn't total garbage, but garbage nonetheless. It made certain fans cry and/or throw a fit. HOW CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF A FAN IF YOU THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT? Shyamalan certainly didn't make it for us.
  26. Mar 19, 2011
    You're better off watching the animated series. There aren't enough characters to describe what is wrong with this movie, but bad acting, bad script and bad special effects just about sums it up. Since The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable it has been going from bad to worse for M. Night Shyamalan.
  27. Jun 17, 2011
    Abacaxis espinafrados com a Framboesa de Ouro não têm achados de tocante beleza como o sacrifício de uma jovem que transfere sua vida a uma entidade espiritual pelo bem de um povo. Ã
  28. May 26, 2012
    One of the worst movies I've ever watched. The acting is weird and terribly bad. The story makes no sense at all. The script was just ridiculously terrible and corny. The characters' personality in the movie are not even close with those in the TV series. Although the film has great special effects, it was completely overshadowed by these awful features of the movie..........
  29. May 23, 2011
    Gio: I'm gonna see it. Carl: No! Just buy a Madonna album or something. Ugly ugly film. Even racist! Gio: But what about my RT review? Carl: Oh man, you don't need to waste your time reviewing that crap!
  30. Dec 29, 2011
    If this had been some unknown director's debut film, released with little to no fanfare, it would have just been a bad movie. But because of the director's pedigree (albeit diminished from his first couple of films, but still!), because of the relative popularity of the source material, because of the marketing campaign that drove this film and because of the relatively large sum of moneyIf this had been some unknown director's debut film, released with little to no fanfare, it would have just been a bad movie. But because of the director's pedigree (albeit diminished from his first couple of films, but still!), because of the relative popularity of the source material, because of the marketing campaign that drove this film and because of the relatively large sum of money invested into its making, "The Last Airbender" is jaw-droppingly bad. I almost recommend you to watch it, if nothing else so you can truly understand what an awful major motion picture truly is and have a low-point to forever compare all other bad films to. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    This is all enormously disappointing, of course, since the best we could hope for from a live-action "Avatar" adaptation is the mind-blowing equivalent of our first encounters with wire-fu, rather than this cartoony nonsense.
  2. The movie is "Star Wars" with martial arts, plus a touch of "The Last Emperor." Technically, it's not badly done; I enjoyed the physical clash of elements, the water balls rising like sculpture in the air.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Bowles
    He hasn't mastered the craft yet, but M. Night Shyamalan may be on to something with this action-movie thing.