The Last Airbender

2.6

1. Oct 16, 2011
    "The Last Airbender", a movie based on the famous TV series for kids, is just simply terrible. The story doesn't make any sense and is chopped into crude pieces. The acting and special effects are terribly illustrated like coloring black ink over a well-done portrait of someone. Man, all I can conclude is RAZZIE BUZZ!!
  2. Jul 21, 2012
    The Last Airbender is all eye candy and has no heart like the Nickelodeon cartoon it is based upon. The only thing really going for is the somewhat decent visual effects used for the action and bending effects. Other than that, the story is dull, the dialogue is uninspiring, and the acting is utterly atrocious. If the visual effects were not decent, this film could have been a lot worse.The Last Airbender is all eye candy and has no heart like the Nickelodeon cartoon it is based upon. The only thing really going for is the somewhat decent visual effects used for the action and bending effects. Other than that, the story is dull, the dialogue is uninspiring, and the acting is utterly atrocious. If the visual effects were not decent, this film could have been a lot worse. This is by far the worst film M. Night Shyamalan has ever made. Expand
  3. Nov 19, 2010
    I like watching the series on Nickelodeon but this movie was just so boring and I know it wasn't to long but it felt like it. I hope that if they make a sequel is better than the first one.
  4. Dec 11, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching this movie i can now say that M. night shama-whatever should quit making movies. it is truly that awful. I'm a huge fan of the avatar series, and before watching it i knew it would be bad, but what i didn't think it would be this bad. for one thing they misrepresented the intentions of the fire nation when they started the war. the Kioshi warriors were completely absent from the movie. none of the character really felt like they should, they included the blue spirit (a character established in the third book), and the fire benders couldn't make fire from their chi like they could in the cartoon. instead they had to bend an existing flame. for the normal viewer who wouldn't care abut these or notice, the movie still has horrible pacing and dialog, the original series had wonderful and very natural dialog but the movies dialog is awkward and poorly paced. the acting was also awe full because half the time the actors seemed uninterested and the rest of the time they were just standing awkwardly. especially the fire bender soldiers, they would just stand around awkwardly attacking the air until it was their turn to get there butt kicked by one of the protagonists. so if your a fan don't expect any sort of fan fair, or general accuracy. if you have never watched the show then you may sightly enjoy the movie however even if it was disconnected from the Avatar franchise, its still not a good movie. in all if you think you might be interested in the Avatar series go rent the DVD's. Expand
  5. Dec 25, 2013
    None of the movie made any sense and lack everything that made the tv series special. It even pronounced the names wrong (Ang was pronounced "Ung" and Saka was pronounced "Soaka"). In a nutshell, I want it to be eradicated from the face of the earth!
  6. Sep 10, 2014
    Maybe the biggest rape of source material in movie history. The charm, heart and soul of the original is lost. The well written characters are gone. Only the names of the characters are well transferred. The story is compressed and soulless. It takes a lot of effort to destroy such good sourch material.
  7. Jan 2, 2014
    Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great TV show one of the best cartoons I have ever seen. This movie is terrible. Fans of the show will hate the film. The movie rushes through the plot only featuring the beginning and finale of the show and one or two moments in between. The acting is terrible with a lot of bad actors and underdeveloped characters that are nothing like those from the show.Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great TV show one of the best cartoons I have ever seen. This movie is terrible. Fans of the show will hate the film. The movie rushes through the plot only featuring the beginning and finale of the show and one or two moments in between. The acting is terrible with a lot of bad actors and underdeveloped characters that are nothing like those from the show. Additionally, various character names are mispronounced, which is insulting to the fans of the show. The effects and action are decent at times but for the most part it looks stupid. Even if you don’t watch the show you will dislike this movie. There is no substance in terms of story or characters. If you haven’t seen the show this movie will confuse you because you will not understand what you just watched and why this show is popular. If you haven’t seen the movie yet avoid it at all costs. This is an awful movie with almost nothing good about. The show offers nothing in terms of characters and story, which will piss off die hard fans and confuse non-viewers. This movie is garbage and I am grateful that the other two season were not given movies. Expand
  8. Sep 11, 2010
    I'm an idiot. Getting fooled in because I am such a fan of the cartoon. This is one of the worst films I have ever seen in my life. Alienating, boring, effortless and lifeless which by any means never do any justice to the cartoon show. The acting and dialogue is horrendous, the editing is awkward, the characters are boring, being badly written, the script is pathetic and the plot isI'm an idiot. Getting fooled in because I am such a fan of the cartoon. This is one of the worst films I have ever seen in my life. Alienating, boring, effortless and lifeless which by any means never do any justice to the cartoon show. The acting and dialogue is horrendous, the editing is awkward, the characters are boring, being badly written, the script is pathetic and the plot is completely rushed. Avoid it. It sucks. Expand
  9. Nov 22, 2010
    I guess you cant expect anything less from M Night Shayamalan, whos movies continue to get even worse as his carreer moves along. I dont think that he should quit the movie biz, i just think he should stop writting and directing movies peroid!
  10. Nov 18, 2010
    Wrong score on first review oops
    Wrong score on first review oops
    If you are unfamiliar with the movies source material, the Animate series of a similar name this movie will have little to offer you ; If you are familliar or even a fan however, it will have plenty to offer, unfortunately all of it's offerings are bad. First off, I do want to give an honorable acknowledgement to the special effects in the move as well as trying to stay somewhat close to the story, one can understand that sacrifices have to be made to take a full season of a series into a one sitting movie timeframe. What kills the movie however is the acting, Bad diologue bad choreography, just about every name is mispronounced which to an extent is understandable perhaps if the source is either in a foreign language or a book but not if the source is in the movies originating language and has already established such things. Also the story is very shallow and some scenes such as a segment where the main character and their friend are practicing water bending stances (based off of tai chi) you can tell that they are supposed to be in sync with each other but are fare from it. All in all, at best this movie could be accepted as a very well done fan movie done by a third party with some of the best special effects programs available to the public, but when one considers that this is published and backed by major production companies, all of this films shortcomings are unacceptable. I find it to be hard to believe that this movie can leave a positive impression on any viewer, fan or not
  11. Nov 19, 2010
    Do they hire people to give this movie a score of above 0? I thought Dragonball Evolution was brutal, but its actually not that bad compared to this POS.
  12. Nov 22, 2010
    It is really depressing that something like this could have come out of such enjoyable source material. There is good intent, but that is about it. Save yourself some time and watch that.
  13. Nov 26, 2010
    Wow M. Night really messed up on this one. I saw no parts similar to the series in the movie. Oh and that wall of water was like the worlds biggest psych out! Hope they don't do book two.
  14. Feb 28, 2011
    TNot only considered the worst adaptation of a cartoon series, b ut also the worst martial arts film ever. Not only is it a butchering for fans but also non-fans will find not only everything wrong but also a poo man's recap of the first season. The dialogue is dumb, the acting is unwhelming, the 3D is a joke. Not to mention that its getting a sequel of a planned trilogy.
  15. Nov 29, 2010
    While I respect M. Shyamalan's talents, I've got to say this is the worst film of 2010 (I bet nothing will top it). It will win the Razzie Awards, but its box office is so huge that they are going to make a sequel! No need for a big review. While the effects are quite good, I hated the acting and everything else about it. This is just like a Disney TV show with good effects. It is nowhereWhile I respect M. Shyamalan's talents, I've got to say this is the worst film of 2010 (I bet nothing will top it). It will win the Razzie Awards, but its box office is so huge that they are going to make a sequel! No need for a big review. While the effects are quite good, I hated the acting and everything else about it. This is just like a Disney TV show with good effects. It is nowhere good enough to be in the big screen, yet people still come to check it out. The Last Airbender is by the far worst film of the decade and M. Shyamalan is the worst director of the decade for creating this film. Expand
  16. Dec 13, 2010
    Has M. Night Shyamalan done it again? No, no he hasn't. Or actually if I look at it from a different point of view, maybe I can say that he has done it again. Based off of his last few movies, which were huge disappointments, The Last Airbender certainly followed suit. With a spectacular trailer and a well-written cartoon series to back it up, it was sad to see that the great storyteller,Has M. Night Shyamalan done it again? No, no he hasn't. Or actually if I look at it from a different point of view, maybe I can say that he has done it again. Based off of his last few movies, which were huge disappointments, The Last Airbender certainly followed suit. With a spectacular trailer and a well-written cartoon series to back it up, it was sad to see that the great storyteller, Shyamalan, did a horrible job at telling the story of The Last Airbender.

Read full review at FlicksWorthWatching.com
  17. Dec 4, 2010
    Wow, poor acting, worse dialogue just an overall terrible film. The movie had a TON of potential, yet it lacked just about anything to make it worthy outside of it's concept. Whoever casted and wrote the dialogue in the film should be shot. They made Hayden Christianson(Anakin Skywalker) look smooth in speech.
  18. Jan 26, 2011
    The Last Airbender, thanks to its horrendous screenplay and dialogue, horrible special effects, 3D that is just as bad as Clash of the Titans, bad acting, and horrible fan service, it is one of the worst movies of the year! It is also the worst movie of the decade so far. Even if you are a fan of the Nick show, skip this movie and you will not regret it!
  19. Mar 15, 2011
    With an incomprehensible plot, laughable dialog, poor actors, and flat action sequences, The Last Airbender is a mockery of the original cult TV series and one of the worst blockbusters of 2010.
  20. Jul 26, 2011
    Okay, how do I put this........THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST MOVIES EVER!!!! Don't watch this. This is a disgrace to the TV show. The special effects are great, but the dialouge is laughable and the acting is wooden. Do NOT watch this. I hope Noah Ringer is better in Cowboys vs Aliens than he was in this. People often ask, "What went wrong" about this movie. A better question is: What DIDN'T go wrong?
  21. Oct 8, 2013
    This is what you get for cramming an entire season's worth of story into a film that isn't even 2 hours long. The plot is terrible, The acting is pathetic, and the special effects are very weak. Easily one of the top 10 worst films of all time.
  22. May 31, 2013
    M. Night probably never watched the animated show 'cause this film is just a complete disaster! First of all, they pronounced almost every character's name wrong, the story is up, the characters themselves aren't even correct, and the special water, earth, wind, and fire effects (which are very cool) don't seem right! I never minded M. Night's films, but this was just completelyM. Night probably never watched the animated show 'cause this film is just a complete disaster! First of all, they pronounced almost every character's name wrong, the story is up, the characters themselves aren't even correct, and the special water, earth, wind, and fire effects (which are very cool) don't seem right! I never minded M. Night's films, but this was just completely unacceptable! I had enough of his movies, you know what... F**K YOU NIGHT!!! Expand
  23. Nov 14, 2013
    I saw the midnight showing with a group or hardcore friends and fellow fans. The audience was actually laughing throughout that movie at just how bad it was. The only thing that this film has going for it, is the special effects. Thats it. Its bad. Stay away.
  24. Dec 27, 2013
    An absolutely terrible movie, The Last Airbender takes the first season of a decent kids show and makes it into a mess of horrible acting and confusing plot that makes the movie completely unlikeable by newbies and more than disappointing for fans of the series, having watched it with the former and been the latter. However, the saddest part of this film might be that it takes itself soAn absolutely terrible movie, The Last Airbender takes the first season of a decent kids show and makes it into a mess of horrible acting and confusing plot that makes the movie completely unlikeable by newbies and more than disappointing for fans of the series, having watched it with the former and been the latter. However, the saddest part of this film might be that it takes itself so seriously. In the end, it deserves ever Razzie it got. Expand
  25. Jan 17, 2015
    Alright, time to cut loose. Swearing and insults ahead, so... ye be warned. This is the biggest sack of sh*t I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. The effects would have hardly been passable in 2005, the characters are generic white kids who can't act to save their lives, there is no development whatsoever, the action scenes are atrociously dull and sometimes downright stupid, theAlright, time to cut loose. Swearing and insults ahead, so... ye be warned. This is the biggest sack of sh*t I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. The effects would have hardly been passable in 2005, the characters are generic white kids who can't act to save their lives, there is no development whatsoever, the action scenes are atrociously dull and sometimes downright stupid, the dialog is truly awful (Seriously, two of the three main characters' names are horribly mispronounced), the pacing is completely off and the plot incoherent on almost every level, and fans of the series, including myself, will feel insulted after watching this crapfest. This is, in my honest opinion, the worst film ever made. Expand
  26. Oct 16, 2014
    The Last Airbender is one of the worst films ever and definitively the worst film directed by M.Night Shyamalan, as a massive fan of the show i was extremely disappointed in this film, converting the first season that lasts 470mins into 103mins is atrocious, there's a lot of key elements and i mean a lot of key elements missing, the casting and acting are probably the worst part about theThe Last Airbender is one of the worst films ever and definitively the worst film directed by M.Night Shyamalan, as a massive fan of the show i was extremely disappointed in this film, converting the first season that lasts 470mins into 103mins is atrocious, there's a lot of key elements and i mean a lot of key elements missing, the casting and acting are probably the worst part about the film and isn't even backed up by the special effects which are horrible, specially when 160 million (inflated) dollars went into this film and it still didn't deliver anything to enjoy, this movie is a disappointment to fans and film making. i'll definitively give this a 0. Expand
  27. Nov 28, 2015
    This movie is so bad, that it's... bad. There is literally nothing I can enjoy about this movie. It had horrible special effects and cringe-worthy acting. It's a real letdown after the fantastic show.
  28. Sep 27, 2015
    It didn't have to be this way. It could have been great. It could have been a successful trilogy. But it wasn't. They had a great cartoon with great cinematic potential and they blew it. How could they mess it up?
    Well- firstly, the acting was horrendous. I liked Dev Patel's performance but the others, not so much. Their voices were just so... Robotic. And the names? Remember Aang, Sokka and Uncle Iroh? Well now meet Oong, Soaka and Uncle Earoh. No joke. That's how they pronounced their names. They butchered it. And no matter how much money this made, they know they can't make a sequel. Because now that everyone's seen this, a follow-up would bomb hard. Fans of the cartoon, just stick to the original.
  29. Dec 28, 2015
    Sometimes, there are moments where movies are watchable... and then there are those that are decent as ever... and then there are those that makes you wonder why were you even in the theaters seeing it. This is one of them.
  30. EJ
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am 17 years old and i loved the avatar series and my opinion of this movie is comming from a fan of the show's point of view; being that I am a part of the teenage demographic that this movie was targeting, I think I can speak for most airbender fans. this was by far the biggest disaster of a movie I have seen since Dragon Ball came out. I guess the best way to write this review is I am 17 years old and i loved the avatar series and my opinion of this movie is comming from a fan of the show's point of view; being that I am a part of the teenage demographic that this movie was targeting, I think I can speak for most airbender fans. this was by far the biggest disaster of a movie I have seen since Dragon Ball came out. I guess the best way to write this review is by the rating scale provided by yahoo: story, acting, direction, visuals, and overall. Story: I have got to give them credit for trying to stick to the series's storyline, but they made a massive fail in execution. The movie tried way too hard to reenact each episode and fit it into a movie that's under 2 hours long. also, the fire benders couldn't bend fire out of the air (all but one) which was EXTREMELY disappointing and i didnt understand why they chose to make that change. Acting: As for the acting of the movie, it was horrendous: everyone in the film either over-acted the whole time or didn't act it out enough to make me feel attached to the characters. when there was tragedy going on I either felt like "what?" or "so, I've only seen you in like 3 minutes of screen time. who cares if your not around anymore." in other words, I never got attached to the characters like i usually do in good films. some of the dramatic moments were actually more humorous than sad. Direction: the direction of this movie was EVERYWHERE! I watched all of the episodes from the cartoon since it came out when i was about 14 years old so i know all about what they talked about in the movie with no explanation necessary, but for anyone that was new to the airbender storyline would have no idea what was going on after about 1/3 of the way through. they mentioned very important things from the series that play a major part in the story very quickly with little or no explanation IE: the "hidden library" was HUGE in the series and definitely required more talking than it was given in the movie, the spirit world left you feeling confused about what was going on, and alot more that im not even going to get into. Visuals: the bending in the movie really left you wanting more (not in a good way), it was super disappointing and did not look very fun to watch. the bending looked more like a dance with no elemental outcome than bending. im not too concerned with "the scar" that everyone in getting all worked up about, because if someone had a burn wound like he did in real life it would look very similar to what we saw in the film. anyway, i wish they had put more effort out on the bending factor and not chose to skip or shorten fight scenes by merely "scaring" away the bad guys (you'll understand if you dare to watch this movie). Overall: the movie was overall a cop-out of a film. i guarantee that the fans would have loved to wait a little longer for the films release if they would have gotten a better job on just about everything in the movie. I'd like to end this review on a good note and that note is..... (drum role) the trailers were pretty sweet looking, just watch them and bask in the mystery of not watching the film. trust me, it'll be better if you not know what it actually looks like, just use those images to visualize what it looks like and you will have a better time thinking about it, i did. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    This is all enormously disappointing, of course, since the best we could hope for from a live-action "Avatar" adaptation is the mind-blowing equivalent of our first encounters with wire-fu, rather than this cartoony nonsense.
  2. The movie is "Star Wars" with martial arts, plus a touch of "The Last Emperor." Technically, it's not badly done; I enjoyed the physical clash of elements, the water balls rising like sculpture in the air.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Bowles
    He hasn't mastered the craft yet, but M. Night Shyamalan may be on to something with this action-movie thing.