6.1

1. Nov 23, 2014
    I watched this film without watching the original film. Just another remake based on a 1970's classic. I'd watch the first one before watching this adaptation.
  2. Nov 16, 2014
    Last House on the Left: 5 out of 10: Close but no cigar. Honestly anyone who remembers 1972’s shocking version of the Virgin Spring had to know this remake would pull back the reigns. It would be like a remake of “I Spit on your Grave”... just not likely in these conservative and commercial times. Well at least they did not make it PG-13.

They screw up they remake early with two

They screw up they remake early with two changes. The bad guys are bad guys from the start. There is no connection with the audience. No sense that they are travelling down a path as well; they do not connect with the audience as the hippies of the first film did. There is no sense that they are exploring there boundaries or challenging themselves. They start fully formed as black hats.

The second mistake is moving the story out of a regular middle class neighborhood and into a millionaires’ nature retreat. There is something shocking about violence among the shag carpeting and wood paneling of suburbia (The original movie was from 1972 after all) that is lost with the large Architectural Digest house perfectly clean and decorated. (Though with the filmiest wooden furniture this side of a thirties Western).

The rape is much less graphic than the original and the sense of sadism and intimacy of the first film is lost. On the plus side, Tony Goldwyn and Monica Potter give great performances as the parents and the revenge scenes are not completely without a sense of fun.

If this film was called something else, I might have gone easier on it. As a Last House on the Left film, it is a glossy shadow of its predecessor.
  3. Jun 16, 2014
    An unworthy piece of garbage, what happened to the 1970s' and 1980s' type of horror films. Sure today's technology is better, that's great, but we don't need to go overboard with it. I hope everyone can see where I'm coming from here. This film is very bad and terrible in everyway possible. It's crap compared to Wes Craven's original horror film made back in (1972). If I was on the MPAAAn unworthy piece of garbage, what happened to the 1970s' and 1980s' type of horror films. Sure today's technology is better, that's great, but we don't need to go overboard with it. I hope everyone can see where I'm coming from here. This film is very bad and terrible in everyway possible. It's crap compared to Wes Craven's original horror film made back in (1972). If I was on the MPAA ratings board I would've rated them opposite of each other. The 1972 film gets an R rating and the 2009 remake gets an NC-17. I see no reason why the 1972 film should be given an X rating. I think it definitely deserves an R, but not an X rating, I think the ratings board had bad judgment there. I think now that the film's on DVD and Blu-ray they should re-submit it to the MPAA so they can have another look at it. They should re-release it either in theaters one more time or straight to DVD, so the public and movie-goers can see why they got the rating for this film wrong in the first place. This film has terrible acting, bad scripted dialogue and the special effects are way overboard. I think this film plus the Saw films and the Hostel films should all be given an NC-17 rating. I'm on the fence with Halloween (2007) though. I think that one should stay rated: R. But I do think that the (2009) sequel should be slapped with an NC-17. The violence is more brutal and bloody than the remake. All in all The remake of The Last House On The Left is just pure torture and predictable, everyone should avoid buying this movie at all costs, and someone should contact the MPAA and get this movie re-rated. Expand
  4. Feb 14, 2014
    An effective home invasion film which in my opinion is better than the first. However the content is brutal, sadistic, and at times difficult to watch. Iliadis really does create a heart pounding thriller worthy of being watched.
  5. Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie scarred me for life after the first 30 minutes. After the rape scene I knew for sure that this movie was a huge F U C K. I would advise everyone to buy this movie and then pour gas on it and burn it until it is nothing. Anyone who likes this movie should be castrated and shot in the dome. Oh and go die mikej Expand
  6. Jun 22, 2013
    I haven't seen the original one but The last house on the left was not such a bad film. It had a good plot and the actors were good. It had suspense and violence. It was not like a good classic thriller but it was much better than other horror films these days.
  7. Aug 25, 2012
    This film surprised me in the fact that I wasn't bored by it. Still it wasn't the best thriller/horror remake I have ever seen but it is no where near the bottom either. The tension built through the film really well.
  8. Aug 12, 2011
    I really liked this movie. I know that the original is a cult classic, but I could never sit through the first half hour. For those that cannot stomach the original, this is a good alternate. Casting, plot, and set are well done.
  9. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie was kind of out of left field to me. As somebody who never saw the original I was excepting this to be like "The Strangers" with Liv Tyler. This movie was nothing like that though. This movie is very in your face with a lot of horrible imagery. Everything from a girl being stabbed in the stomach to an outright rape. The movie does a great job of building the characters and theThis movie was kind of out of left field to me. As somebody who never saw the original I was excepting this to be like "The Strangers" with Liv Tyler. This movie was nothing like that though. This movie is very in your face with a lot of horrible imagery. Everything from a girl being stabbed in the stomach to an outright rape. The movie does a great job of building the characters and the acting is solid with the exception of Paige (Martha McIsaac) and Sadie (Riki Lindhome). The thing that actually bothered me the most was the very last scene. The move had a very solid ending and it fades to black only to come back on a microwave and the villain. I'm not here to spoil it to you but it was one of the only useless moments that was only in the movie to pad running time and add gore. Overall this movie is pretty solid and well worth a watch. Expand
  10. Nov 29, 2010
    This was one of those movies that just plain didn't deliver. You know, the type where the characters are just plain irritating. Build up build up and then nothing. The stupidity of the girls that got them into trouble in the first place and the seemingly helplessness of the parents when dealing with the rapists crew. The whole damn movie was a waste of time. Right up there with Ishtar inThis was one of those movies that just plain didn't deliver. You know, the type where the characters are just plain irritating. Build up build up and then nothing. The stupidity of the girls that got them into trouble in the first place and the seemingly helplessness of the parents when dealing with the rapists crew. The whole damn movie was a waste of time. Right up there with Ishtar in my book. Best part of the movie was the revenge dished out at the end, pardon the pun. Expand
  11. Oct 15, 2010
    It was a very interesting movie with awesome acting and a great plot. Though lacking a little atmosphere and suspense, i'd say it's a good movie overall.

1. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    This new House tries to sustain a grave, heavy sense of threat. It fails, through its villainy.
  2. This remake is merely vile (and dull).
    The wheels fall off toward the end but, until that point, Illiadis does an excellent job of generating and maintaining an intense sense of dread.