8.1

1. HaseebQ
    Jul 24, 2008
    An awesome movie, and a true epic. Defintely one to see again, and very informative also. Forest Whitaker is an amazing actor in this movie. 10/10 without a doubt.
  2. LizS
    May 2, 2009
    I think this was a great movie,,, whether it be fact or fiction, it does depict the horror of indi amin's reighn of terror!!
  3. EverrettU
    May 30, 2009
    Highly rewarding drama with terrific performances.
  4. NielMcDream
    Sep 27, 2006
    Forest Whitaker, uncorking the power that he usually holds in check, gives a chilling, bravura performance as Ugandan tyrant Idi Amin, whose bloody regime slaughtered more than 300,000 people. This intelligent, sometimes gruesome thriller is based on a novel by Giles Foden. The film is phenomenally well directed by Kevin Macdonald and edited by Justine Wright to bring out every bit of Forest Whitaker, uncorking the power that he usually holds in check, gives a chilling, bravura performance as Ugandan tyrant Idi Amin, whose bloody regime slaughtered more than 300,000 people. This intelligent, sometimes gruesome thriller is based on a novel by Giles Foden. The film is phenomenally well directed by Kevin Macdonald and edited by Justine Wright to bring out every bit of scary volatility in the most casual interactions. Expand
    Sep 27, 2006
    Drawing on a documentary visual style he deftly employed in "One Day in September" and "Touching the Void," director Kevin Macdonald uses McAvoy's boyishness to treat Garrigan's apolitical foolishness as yet another damn mess in one African country's hell. The Last King of Scotland is a parable shocking in its truth, jolting in its lack of sentimentality, Shakespearean in Drawing on a documentary visual style he deftly employed in "One Day in September" and "Touching the Void," director Kevin Macdonald uses McAvoy's boyishness to treat Garrigan's apolitical foolishness as yet another damn mess in one African country's hell. The Last King of Scotland is a parable shocking in its truth, jolting in its lack of sentimentality, Shakespearean in its vision of the doctor's catastrophic flaw. Possibly one of the best movies of the last 10 years. A unforgettable Oscar performance. Expand
  6. BlancoA.
    Sep 29, 2006
    An outstanding film in every respect. Coming out of this film tonight, I can't think of anyone playing the role of Amin except maybe Yaphet Kotto, but he's probably a little too old for the role. Unbelievable color in this film. It seduces you like the doctor is seduced by the situation, and it horrifies you in a similar way. I haven't had a visceral reaction to a film in An outstanding film in every respect. Coming out of this film tonight, I can't think of anyone playing the role of Amin except maybe Yaphet Kotto, but he's probably a little too old for the role. Unbelievable color in this film. It seduces you like the doctor is seduced by the situation, and it horrifies you in a similar way. I haven't had a visceral reaction to a film in quite the same way in a LONG time. Tremendous acting. A film which can't be ignored come Oscar time. On second thought. Screw the Oscars. The Academy couldn't tell acting talent from a hole in the wall. Just see the film. Expand
  7. NinaK.
    Oct 3, 2006
    Amazing film.
  8. KadyC
    Oct 12, 2006
    Forget the hype of box office hits. If you want to see superb acting, from a true actor, who takes his role seriously and makes you feel like you are not watching a movie, but a re-enactment; go see Last King of Scotland. This film is for grown folks, who understand the issues and stereotypes surrounding, race, power, politics, and economics. See a good movie this year, I implore you, you Forget the hype of box office hits. If you want to see superb acting, from a true actor, who takes his role seriously and makes you feel like you are not watching a movie, but a re-enactment; go see Last King of Scotland. This film is for grown folks, who understand the issues and stereotypes surrounding, race, power, politics, and economics. See a good movie this year, I implore you, you will not leave the theatre untouched, can guarantee it. Expand
  9. StuartS.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Whitaker will be nominated for an Acadamy Award for an incredible portrayal of Edi Amin. A lot of history you might not be totally familiar with and you will enjoy learning about. Not to be seen by those who are squeamish.
  10. MikeD
    Nov 6, 2006
    How anyone can give this movie less than an 8 is beyond me. It's gripping and compelling. Forest Whitaker is amazing. It's ashame that cinema like this does not get more exposure in the United States. A true work of art. Go see it period.
  11. RaulL.
    Dec 23, 2006
    Forest Whitaker deserves an oscar for best actor. This movie will leave you at the edge of your seat. the story, the cinematography, the performances, it is a masterpiece. The best movie of the year, no doubt.
  12. HawaU.
    Jan 20, 2007
    A very captivating movie. One of the best I have seen in a long time. Forrest deserves an Oscar.
  13. SamC.
    Jan 21, 2007
    If not the best preformence by a male actor of all time, close to it. I have never seen an actor invest more in a role or capture the real internal motivations of his character. Brilliant!
  14. MichaelJ.
    Feb 3, 2007
    Forest Whitaker shows us the performance of a lifetime. He frightenly represents Idi Amin in a way never shown before, his ellegance enlightened, his personality drawn out in its own beauty, and a leader represented well. James McAvoy also brings us a great performance, he is drawn into a power he never asked for and his relationship to Whitaker is that of no other. While this movie is Forest Whitaker shows us the performance of a lifetime. He frightenly represents Idi Amin in a way never shown before, his ellegance enlightened, his personality drawn out in its own beauty, and a leader represented well. James McAvoy also brings us a great performance, he is drawn into a power he never asked for and his relationship to Whitaker is that of no other. While this movie is based off facts, it still does not represent history as it could; this is Hollywood so it should be suspected. Expand
  15. RaphaelM.
    Feb 13, 2007
    Stunning performances, extremely well shot and great music, for a full tension film that will get you pinned to your seat. Awesome!
  16. RalphM.
    Mar 10, 2007
    I recommend this movie in a Double feature with Amazing Grace as a study of the paths that two different lives can take. This is the best movie I have seen in a very long time.
  17. JayW.
    Apr 2, 2007
    Strong (maybe too strong for some), but excellent film. While the characters may be a blend of many acutal people, the truth of the ruthlessness of Amin is not hyped or diminished. He was, as most dictators are, a horrible person who was very willing to kill to silence his detractors. When will we see a movie like this about Castro, Sadam, or Che Guevara?!
  18. PnArdyPnArdy
    May 13, 2007
    A masterpiece portraying the dictator Amin's character and his cruel and barbaric regime in Uganda, Africa. Forest Whitaker was incredibly good in this drama and got Oscar.
  19. GregE.
    Jun 24, 2007
    This movie blew me away. This a true story, and it really struck a chord with me how this one no-name doctor becomes involved in such an involved scene 10/10 This movie is one of the best of all time
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    The last king of Scotland is scorcher of a film that follows the story of the horrid dictatorship that took over Uganda in the 70s. The movie is seen completely through the eyes of young Nicolas Garrigan James Mcavoy), a young Scottish doctor who decides he is tired of Scotland and ready to venture into another country to make a difference.

Soon after he begins his work in the town he

Soon after he begins his work in the town he begins a friendship with Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker), a powerful African leader who offers Garrigan a job as his personal doctor. Their developing relationship is wonderful to behold on screen, and for me was the main strength and the key point that made this movie go above and beyond.
  21. elab
    Oct 24, 2008
    The un-until-now-highly-underrated Forrest Whitaker is brilliant in this. As Amin manages to swing from charming and almost jovial to a cold, heartless dictator. Idi Amin is rather underrespresented as far as evil dictators go but this was an unforgettable film. McAvoy makes us care about a rather selfish, materialistic young character. Even if you are unfamiliar with the situation in 70s The un-until-now-highly-underrated Forrest Whitaker is brilliant in this. As Amin manages to swing from charming and almost jovial to a cold, heartless dictator. Idi Amin is rather underrespresented as far as evil dictators go but this was an unforgettable film. McAvoy makes us care about a rather selfish, materialistic young character. Even if you are unfamiliar with the situation in 70s Uganda this will be a film which stays with you for a long time. Now for a bit of a whinge. I wish people wouldn't suggest it's not a good film because it's told from a white man's point of view, it was Forrest Whitaker who won the Oscar and BAFTA not James McAvoy (although I think he deserved the Best Supporting Actor BAFTA). I do feel the need to point out also that the Last King of Scotland is rated 15, but if you have kids around 15 I wouldn't let them watch it if I were you, there are images of a graphic mutliation and a torture scene. Expand
  22. JoeT.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Amazing. Every single performance is superb; Forest Whitaker is electrifying. Tautly directed and edited, and the visuals are gorgeous. A harrowing experience.
  23. SusanG
    Oct 4, 2006
    Wonderful performance by Forest....really keeps you on the edge of your seat.
  24. RichC
    Oct 21, 2006
    Ya gotta LOVE the chilling performance by Whittaker!
  25. Filmfan
    Nov 3, 2006
    Forest Whitaker is amazing, so too James McAvoy. The movie is very involving and unsettling. My only complaint is a few action scenes and graphic shots which I thought unneccesary- the threat and the violence implied through the acting was enough. Nice cinematography.
  26. BenA.
    Jan 16, 2007
    Beautifully shot, utterly gripping. Forest Whitaker gives an outstanding performance as the psychotic Amin.
  27. LizV.
    Jan 21, 2007
    Forest Whitaker was amazing, but McAvoy's perfomance is outstanding as well. A lesser actor would have easily been eaten up by Whitaker's performance. McAvoy's Nicholas stands toe to toe with Whitaker's Amin which makes for a riveting story. I highly recommend this movie. I thought it was excellent!
  28. ChadS.
    Jan 21, 2007
    For me, the most intriguing aspect of "The Last King of Scotland" is the tantalizing possibility that Leni Riefenstahl was telling the truth. Even though "Triumph of the Will" implicates her as a Nazi sympathizer by what's judiciously omitted from the crowd-inciting speeches; Nicholas(James McAvoy) amazingly has no idea about the Ugandian holocaust. "The Last King of Scotland" has an For me, the most intriguing aspect of "The Last King of Scotland" is the tantalizing possibility that Leni Riefenstahl was telling the truth. Even though "Triumph of the Will" implicates her as a Nazi sympathizer by what's judiciously omitted from the crowd-inciting speeches; Nicholas(James McAvoy) amazingly has no idea about the Ugandian holocaust. "The Last King of Scotland" has an ingenious way of treating McAvoy's relationship with Idi Amin as a pleasant nostalgic trip, because the young doctor was indeed enamored with the vicious, but charismatic dictator. If this adaptation is accurate, the real-life McAvoy must be plagued with some residual affection for Amin. Forrest Whitaker does an awesome job of being genuinely congenial without any undercurrent of menace; to do so would make a contemporary audience wonder why the world wasn't onto Amin's act a lot sooner. This is a powerful, and very smartly photographed film. Expand
  29. MarcD.
    Feb 1, 2007
    Whitaker's performance is simply breathtaking. He doesn't just steal the show...he inhabits the screen and makes every second of his presence felt in a manner which can only be compared to the most powerful of film personas. What makes it all the more amazing is the fact that McAvoy almost matches him shot for shot. Almost...not quite though.
  30. RD.
    Mar 22, 2007
    very unsettling movie mainly due to the excellent and chilling performance of idi amin as the brutal ugandan dictator. He is so good that you forget that this is a movie. It is almost as if youa re watching a documentary about Idi Amin shot with archive footage of Idi Amin.
  31. TiffanyM.
    May 11, 2007
    This movie far surpassed what I thought it would be. I came across it on HBO, after not hearing much about it, and settled in to fall asleep. NO SLEEPING HERE. Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy were great! There was loads of drama- sexual scandals, abuse, mass killings, love, COMEDY... it was great. No wonder Ol' Forest took home the Oscar!
  32. MarkG.
    May 18, 2007
    Forest and McAvoy both give stellar preformances in a brutal and real piece of film. True the film was subjected to some criticism, with all the praise focusing on Forest's brilliant interpretation of the infamous dictator but why did it take until now to recognise his brilliance?? People jumping on the bandwagon this year after ignoring Forest's splendid acting in Bird and Forest and McAvoy both give stellar preformances in a brutal and real piece of film. True the film was subjected to some criticism, with all the praise focusing on Forest's brilliant interpretation of the infamous dictator but why did it take until now to recognise his brilliance?? People jumping on the bandwagon this year after ignoring Forest's splendid acting in Bird and Ghost Dog should try in future to recognise an actor's potential long before the critics stir up a whirlwind about a recent performance. The film contains some brilliantly worked scenes and the way the angles constantly vary allow us to look at the life of Idi Amin as both an insider and an outside observer. McAvoy does a fine job of portraying a difficult character but it is Whitaker's hypnotic screen presence as he shows us his ferocity and helplessness simultaneously, that makes the film masterful. Expand
  33. PatC.
    May 21, 2007
    This is an unvarnished study of a naive empty vessel of a young man without direction. Fresh out of medical school, he knows only that he doesn't want to live under his father's direction. As a result he finds himself living under the direction of the catastrophically insane. The movie stumbles tentatively from scene to scene, but Whitaker sells it anyway. In the end it will This is an unvarnished study of a naive empty vessel of a young man without direction. Fresh out of medical school, he knows only that he doesn't want to live under his father's direction. As a result he finds himself living under the direction of the catastrophically insane. The movie stumbles tentatively from scene to scene, but Whitaker sells it anyway. In the end it will stay with you. Quite an achievement really. Expand
  34. Nov 28, 2012
    "The Last King Of Scotland" is the mostly true story of Nicholas Garrigan (McAvoy), a young Scottish physician who travels to Uganda and eventually becomes the personal doctor to the dictator, Idi Amin (Whitaker). Directed by Kevin MacDonald, this movie certainly struck a few dissonant chords with me. I'm not saying the film was bad, in fact I found it "The Last King Of Scotland" to be a"The Last King Of Scotland" is the mostly true story of Nicholas Garrigan (McAvoy), a young Scottish physician who travels to Uganda and eventually becomes the personal doctor to the dictator, Idi Amin (Whitaker). Directed by Kevin MacDonald, this movie certainly struck a few dissonant chords with me. I'm not saying the film was bad, in fact I found it "The Last King Of Scotland" to be a very remarkable motion picture. However, it is a deeply disturbing piece that aims to show the audience just how deranged Idi Amin was as Uganda's President. Which brings me to the film's most noteworthy aspect - Forest Whitaker's amazing, Academy-Award Winning turn as Idi Amin himself. Forest Whitaker's performance in "The Last King Of Scotland" is incredibly dynamic because at times I found myself laughing, gasping, and cringing in anger at some of the things that Whitaker did on screen. Some of the stuff that Whitaker's Amin does in this movie is truly frightening and really made me realize just how much of a megalomaniacal sociopath Amin was in real life. In fact there is one moment in this movie (one that I won't fully disclose due to it's grisliness) where I found myself just gaping at my television set - yeah stuff gets pretty grotesque. Obviously, Whitaker rightfully earned the Oscar For Best Actor in 2007. As for James McAvoy, he did a great job in his role as the doctor who just can't seem to escape the madness of Idi Amin, and throughout the movie you really learn to feel for his character. The script, of course, was brilliantly written, as it was adapted from the reportedly excellent Giles Foden novel of the same name. In terms of cinematography, I thought that the film's use of close-up shots on Amin really helped to accentuate his sheer madness and insanity. As for the rest of the camera work everything looks clean and efficient. All in all, I found "The Last King Of Scotland" to be a very remarkable, and disconcerting film that effectively used it's brilliant performances and impressive script to highlight the sheer terror that Idi Amin inflicted upon Uganda and it's people. Expand
  35. MichelleC
    Oct 6, 2006
    Whitaker is great and deserves all the Oscar buzz being generated. The last 30 minutes can be a bit hard to watch and are fairly upsetting.
  36. SusanP.
    Oct 18, 2006
    This is Uganda in the 1970s; it was never going to be pretty.
  37. KurtL.
    Nov 5, 2006
    McAvoy seems too young to be convincing in this role. But the concept is clever and Whitaker is excellent. Gillian Anderson looks really good in this movie and she played the symbolic voice of reason very well.
  38. JudyT.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Great performance by Forrest Whitaker. Definitely Oscar worthy. James McAvoy is also very good in a role that makes you hate him and feel sorry for him at the same time.
  39. AlaM.
    Mar 2, 2007
    It is a movie of historical and fictional interaction that had ben made in a very good way. It does not meet the original novel but touches the life and gives an idea about the great problems of the 3rd world , the brutal dictators.
  40. CraigP.
    Apr 30, 2007
    Forest Whitaker IS Edi Amin....he so deserved the Oscar!!
  41. JohnB.
    May 19, 2007
    It's the realistic and totally believable performance of Forest Whitaker that pulls this movie through. The Last King of Scotland brings us to Idi Amin's world and the life changing story of a man that finds his original intentions turned upside down through unforeseen circumstances. This movie is as much fiction as it is a movie that brings awareness to an important time in history.
  42. NickA.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Forest Whitaker inhabits the heartless monster of Idi Amin, Uganda
  43. Nov 6, 2011
    Le Dernier Roi d'Ecosse est un film dont on ne sort pas indemne, de part sa noirceur et sa violence. Non pas qu'il soit violent comme tant d'autres films traitant sur les gouvernements et les génocides africains, mais le film reste percutant par son propos. Soit une histoire d'amitié entre le président ougandais de l'époque Idi Amin DadaLe Dernier Roi d'Ecosse est un film dont on ne sort pas indemne, de part sa noirceur et sa violence. Non pas qu'il soit violent comme tant d'autres films traitant sur les gouvernements et les génocides africains, mais le film reste percutant par son propos. Soit une histoire d'amitié entre le président ougandais de l'époque Idi Amin Dada et son médecin personnel, Nicholas Garrigan. Mais cette amitié va se détériorer quand ce dernier va découvrir la véritable nature du dirigeant. Un film magistralement interprété (impeccable Forest Whitaker), qui évite les scènes de violence (exécutions, massacres...) en les annonçant par les médias ou bien par des extraits très courts. De ce fait, nous découvrons les atrocités en même temps que Nicholas, ces atrocités qui lui étaient cachées comme pour le reste du monde. Un peu surpenant pour son petit côté pop et bon enfant par moment, Le Dernier Roi d'Ecosse est un film puissant! Expand
  44. Jun 2, 2013
    Whitaker completely deserved his Oscar for Best Actor; both he and James McAvoy give fantastic performances to carry this film to a climax that is exciting and thrilling. Many good films came in 06, and this film is one of them.
  45. Jun 28, 2013
    Wow, this movie remembers you how people like Amin comes in different countries, but in the same way. The plot is about a guy, that actually didn't exist, it's because (I think) the director wanted to show the events from a different point of view, a "white" man working for the president. This film is really good, there are no regrets.
  46. Aug 12, 2013
    In the early 1970’s Scottish doctor Nicholas Garrigan headed to Uganda to help bring medical aid to poverty-stricken locals. He soon he finds himself hired as Idi Amin’s personal physician but quickly discovers the dictators’ charms hide his murderous regime.

The first half of movie provides a meaty examination of Amin’s savagely violent regime. His false charm quickly gives way to his true nature and Forrest Whitaker gives an excellent portrayal of the dictator coming across as the eccentric and truly terrifying man that he was. Once Garrigan becomes aware of what is really going on in the country the movie becomes more of a thriller than character study as he attempts to escape with his life. Some of the scenes towards the movies end are perhaps a little Hollywood and not completely fitting with the movies original tone. They are however still undeniably exciting and with James McAvoy giving an assured performance throughout The Last King of Scotland is certainly an interesting and entertaining movie.
  47. Aug 24, 2013
    The movie presents enough of what is realistic to make this story seem interesting. Forest Whitaker is absorbed into the role, perhaps more intimidating than the real Idi Amin. He manages to make people overlook his teddy bear face to see the terror of Idi Amin and what he caused.
  48. May 4, 2015
    Idi Amin was one of the worst people to ever walk the Earth but because he was the ruler of Uganda many people in North America knew nothing about him. Big Forest Whitaker is the ideal man to play Amin and he really does resemble him in the film. Whitaker gets a well deserved Oscar winning performance in this film. The further the film goes the movie evil he becomes. James McAvoy also getsIdi Amin was one of the worst people to ever walk the Earth but because he was the ruler of Uganda many people in North America knew nothing about him. Big Forest Whitaker is the ideal man to play Amin and he really does resemble him in the film. Whitaker gets a well deserved Oscar winning performance in this film. The further the film goes the movie evil he becomes. James McAvoy also gets my attention in this movie. His performance is a great rival to Whitaker's and he shows a lot of potential which I don't think has reached fully yet. David Oyelowo had a strong performance as well but sadly he was underused. Some of the issues I had with this film where that sometimes McAvoy gets a bit too much of the attention. The character McAvoy is playing was fictional and sometimes he took time away from Amin who was the real man. Also I found the film very graphic so if you have a weak stomach I would sit this movie out. After I thought about it though the film does need to be disturbing so the audience can be aware of Amin's evil. Expand
  49. BillyS.
    Jan 20, 2007
    When an actor takes on what is essentially a supporting role and makes such an indelible impression by stamping it with his own unique brilliant take on the material, no matter what else he ever does in his career, he will always be remembered for that single performance. Anthony Hopkins did just that in Silence of the Lambs and went on to win an Oscar for Best Actor and it looks like When an actor takes on what is essentially a supporting role and makes such an indelible impression by stamping it with his own unique brilliant take on the material, no matter what else he ever does in his career, he will always be remembered for that single performance. Anthony Hopkins did just that in Silence of the Lambs and went on to win an Oscar for Best Actor and it looks like it'll happen again this year when Forest Whitaker walks away with the Best Actor Oscar for his mesmerizing performance as Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland! To critique the rest of the movie, which is really about James McAvoy as a doctor who wins the facvor of Amin, is not even needed because the only thing is the astonishing, once in a lifetime performance of Mr. Whitaker, an actor who has been simmering right below the boiling point for many years now and as Idi Amin, he finally explodes!! A 100 years - 100 performances lock! Expand
  50. SohailA.
    May 23, 2007
    The acting was awesome, but the movie could have used a little bit more direction/meaning as a whole.

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    Whitaker's Amin is the kind of raging lunatic that only an actor who has made a specialty of quiet caginess could pull off so convincingly. It's great, and scary, to see Whitaker turn it up to 11 for once.
  2. Reviewed by: Howie Movshovitz
    An imaginative and original picture turns conventional as it ends.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    In the end, The Last King of Scotland is much better when it plays it cool and amusing than when it tries to ramp up outrage and indignation.