The Last Stand

6.6

1. Jan 28, 2013
    Some parts of the movie were really painful to watch, but if you're looking for an action flick devoid of any plausible storytelling, go see this movie.
  2. Feb 4, 2013
    Good action picture. Sure Arnold is old and isn't great looking. This is an Arnold movie. It has a good plot, moves along briskly and was fun to watch. If you saw Bullet to the Head with Stallone and liked it, you will like this one too.
  3. Apr 29, 2013
    Ahhnie is back with a vengeance! In the Last Stand! This Cheesy Mexican popcorn flick is really awesome. The film starts off slow but then it gets interesting. I'm pretty glad Arnie made this film. It's just bloody f**king fun with guns and hot cars. Just don't take brainy nerd to this movie.
  4. Feb 26, 2013
    Arnold is still giving good performances and this film is no exception it's a fun film to watch and the action is really fun to watch and while the story was not the greatest the cast did their best to make you watch a really enjoyable film
  5. Jun 3, 2013
    A formulaic action movie with a pointless plot. Arnold is pretty good here with a case full of one liners and he's the best part of this film. Still this has decent action, but a mediocre story.
  6. May 22, 2013
    Anyone remember The Hunter? It turned out to be Steve McQueen's final screen appearance, playing a bounty hunter, in a rather generic action thriller, with some pretty good action sequences inserted. I thought of that film while watching this I think they share a cornfield car chase, I may be wrong), because, it too, is a generic thriller, with a few good action sequences. Arnold does hisAnyone remember The Hunter? It turned out to be Steve McQueen's final screen appearance, playing a bounty hunter, in a rather generic action thriller, with some pretty good action sequences inserted. I thought of that film while watching this I think they share a cornfield car chase, I may be wrong), because, it too, is a generic thriller, with a few good action sequences. Arnold does his Arnold thing, squinting and creaking out his dialogue, with nods to his age. Knoxville plays the village idiot (typecasting?), with a thing for heavy artiliary. The major dissappointment is that I was expecting something a bit wilder from Kim Ji-woon, along the lines of John Woo's American debut, Hard Target. But hey, cranked up, with a few beers on a warm spring evening...? It'll do just fine. Expand
  7. Apr 23, 2013
    It could have been a great action flick but Ji-woon Kim botched it. There was enough crazinessin the trailers to suggest a success but the movie is far from what you could have expected
    The casting is okay regarding the supporting roles, I love Shwarzy even when his acting is as vivid as a piece of meat full of steroid (he actually have some nice scenes) so I can't complain, Knoxville is (or should have been) the star of the show but Eduardo Noriega is one of the worst villain I've seen lately, Luis Guzmán first half of the movie completely kill the other half and Forest Whitaker is THE least believable FBI coordinator I've ever seen
    I was enthusiast about the scenario but it appear dull after only 20mn into the movie.
    To continue about the craziness, it's all I was excpecting from this movie (I was seriously envisioning some kind of Machete/Tarantino-like freakshow) but even the few scenes that aim for that touch fall flat from poor acting or terrible editing
    I can't say that I did not enjoyed some of the scenes (seeing terminator bring his last german souplex was heartwarming) but overall, this is not what I expected and even trying to watch it frome the 2nd, 3rd and 4th degry didn't work for me
    I'll finish with some of the effect or choices that really buried the movie in my opinion (no spoilers hopefully)
    ° The overuse of the basic timetable (white letters on blurry screen) is annoying, there were so many creative way to use it in the movie
    ° The ''revenge for the good guy'' cliché, there were so many reasons to send Shwarzy after bad guys, why settle for a bad one?
    ° The obvious lack of originality (maybe the director had his hand tied, maybe he wasn't in the mood) but if all the good scenes of the movie can be sumed up in a 2mn trailer, why bother?
    ° The stupid-a*s backstory or the lack of them (''At age 3 he had his first mercedes, at age 5, his father built him a closed circuit in his backyard, at age 12 he was a competitive sport driver, at age 23 he is a drug lord and I drive him aroud Las Vegas with no intention whatsoever to make sure he doesn't escape, herp derp durp heurp'' (and the cuty can aim a sniper rifle without being trained by her step-father who'se a long lost Shwarzy friend, just saying)
    ° The horrible casting choices... Chris Tucker would have made a better mexican sidekick, Cheech Marin a way scarier bad guy and Giancarlo Esposito a trustworthy, calm, professionnal FBI agent with a sad backstory (''goddamn I won't loose another agent'' (see usefull backstory up there)) Ps guess which one I would have choose for the actual role
  8. May 30, 2013
    Yep, he's back, with a pop corn action movie! My expectations were really low, but as it turned out it 'Last Stand" has it's charm. Overall it's a decent action movie with some good parts, and some problems as well!
  9. Apr 30, 2013
    A small time sheriff is called up to the plate when an escaped fugitive tries to drive through his town......and of course he steps up to the plate with his rag-tag bunch of deputies and puts on a great "Last Stand". The story line is as painfully dull as the characters and the dialogs and the acting. There are a few good action scenes and car chases, but other than that, Arnold's greatA small time sheriff is called up to the plate when an escaped fugitive tries to drive through his town......and of course he steps up to the plate with his rag-tag bunch of deputies and puts on a great "Last Stand". The story line is as painfully dull as the characters and the dialogs and the acting. There are a few good action scenes and car chases, but other than that, Arnold's great comeback is nothing more than big giant muscular cliche. Expand
  10. Jun 14, 2013
    If you're a fan of Arnold's second-tier action movies, you will enjoy The Last Stand. If you didn't like movies like Commando, Kindergarten Cop, and so on, I expect you won't like this movie. In a weird way, it seems like the supporting actors didn't really put much effort into their acting. Perhaps it was the direction, but the villains and the townspeople seem rather disinterested in theIf you're a fan of Arnold's second-tier action movies, you will enjoy The Last Stand. If you didn't like movies like Commando, Kindergarten Cop, and so on, I expect you won't like this movie. In a weird way, it seems like the supporting actors didn't really put much effort into their acting. Perhaps it was the direction, but the villains and the townspeople seem rather disinterested in the proceedings as if someone filmed a rehearsal that had gone on too long and just decided that was good enough.

And, I guess, it is just good enough if ...
    1) You really want to see a shoot-em-up.
    2) Can watch it for free (or nearly free), and
    3) No other action movie is available that really piques your interest.

I would have been bummed out not disappointed, really, but underwhelmed if I had I paid to see this in the theater. After all, I couldn't be too disappointed, since the movie is pretty much as advertised.
  11. Aug 10, 2013
    Heading into it, I fully expected "The Last Stand" to be boilerplate Schwarzenegger: Guns, one-liners, poor attempts at dramatic turns, car chases, and more guns. "The Last Stand" is all these things, but manages to make it all worthwhile, working a fun supporting cast around the obviously aged Schwarzenegger while pumping every ounce of adrenaline from the predictable action sequences.Heading into it, I fully expected "The Last Stand" to be boilerplate Schwarzenegger: Guns, one-liners, poor attempts at dramatic turns, car chases, and more guns. "The Last Stand" is all these things, but manages to make it all worthwhile, working a fun supporting cast around the obviously aged Schwarzenegger while pumping every ounce of adrenaline from the predictable action sequences.

Trailers attempted to heavily sell Johnny Knoxville's role as some sort of zany sidekick, but his role is more limited than that, and its probably for the best. He adds to the fun of course, but it is the perturbed Peter Stormare who injects the highest amount of amusement. For a secondary villain, there is enough in his part to have made him the focal point of the entire film. Forrest Whittaker turns in a generic but satisfactory role as a head FBI Agent trying to recapture an escaped drug cartel kingpin, which is the entire plot in a nutshell. Again, nothing surprising here.

As for Arnold, he is a casual master at this sort of film, and despite the wear and tear, he is still more than believable as a small-town sheriff who doesn't know the meaning of the word 'quit'. Early attempts at fleshing out a bit of backstory on the character are appreciated, but ultimately unnecessary; it's Arnold Schwarzenegger, he's a cop, and there are bad guys between him and the film's eventual ending.

You can easily fill in the blanks without even watching it, but I recommend it anyway, because it does exactly what its supposed to do and wastes only a small amount of time trying to be something it isn't.
  12. Feb 12, 2014
    I felt a little lost in this movie. Don't get me wrong I thought it was actually pretty good but it bounced back from humor and seriousness that made it hard to know when to take it seriously. Other than that is just a good old fashion action movie with Arnold, how could that go wrong?
  13. Jan 22, 2014
    This film did not disappoint. So Arnie is a bit slower and bit wrinklier but that didn't stop me believing he could woop the baddies. It felt like a Taratino movie with the graphic blood and violence but I loved it.
    Action, humour (johnny knoxville!) fast cars and a nasty badguy - what's not to like?
  14. Oct 18, 2013
    Obviously the parallels that TheStampMan has drawn between this film and the greatness of the USA haven't gone down too well but I would also argue that The Last Stand is a a social commentary of America and its history. And please note that I say this with a completely unashamed love of Arnie...

I'll start with the man himself. If action films represented the world economy, Arnie would be America. This man was once the most bankable movie star in the world. His bankablity wasn't based on talent
    or finesse, though. Indeed, Arnie made it to the top through brute force and confidence (bordering on arrogance). And even though he still retains a large degree of power, he's widely considered a relic of a simpler time.

Action stars these days generally triumph by using their intelligence and guile traits which stars like Arnie, Stallone, etc. just didn't/don't have in their lockers.

The fact that Arnie and the majority of actors with speaking parts in this film have an accent is obviously a tribute to America's immigrant heritage, and its acceptance of foreigners and their cultures.

Then there are the cars. These represent American consumerism. Much like Arnie, Corvettes and Camaros are big, loud, and look good. Americans aren't interested in what's underneath the hood. And they want no part in anything that displays even the slightest semblance of ingenuity and technical prowess, as demonstrated by George W. Bush's consecutive elections to the position of Commander in Chief despite his hilarious military track record. I probably should also say at this point that I just couldn't suspend my disbelief for long enough to buy into the fact that a criminal mastermind (no, not Bush!) with a racing pedigree would choose a Corvette for the most important road trip of his life.

Next, there is the dithery old bat with the shotgun. She is the personification of the Native American genocide. She's white, she's from money, and she has a pervading sense of entitlement. Her shop clearly displays an 'Open' sign (as seen at 01:18:10) yet almost as soon as the Native American looking fellow strolls in to browse her wears she blows him away with extreme predge. Arnie then legitimises her sense of entitlement by thanking her: clearly a homage to America's Thanksgiving tradition.

Which brings me nicely to the final act of the film. This is a spirited celebration of American gun laws. To the outside world, the fact that the citizens of the most dysfunctional nation on earth are armed to the teeth is confusing and horrifying in equal measure. However, had the townsfolk not been hoarding a cache of military-grade weaponry the bad guys would have been allowed to escape and continue their rampage of terror on the people of Central America and the Caribbean (Nicaragua, Panama, Cuba, etc.), which the Government and people of America would surely not have tolerated.

I'll give this film 5/10. It would have been a 4/10 had Arnie not been in it. I grew up in the 80s so, despite me now having a near-total understanding of his lack of talent, the man is firmly entrenched into my psyche because of the fantastic memories he has given me over the years.
  15. May 15, 2014
    It is hard to return from retirement and instantly make a good movie. Nothing special here, just another old average shoot-out action movie with predictable plot, still enjoyable at few points thanks to Schwarzenegger's presence.
  16. Sep 5, 2014
    "You make us immigrants look bad."

"You make us immigrants look bad."

Kim Jee-Woon's "The Last Stand" is a fantastic throwback to the 80's era of action movies that made Arnold Schwarzenegger a mega star and a box office goldmine. When the leader of a drug cartel busts out of a courthouse and speeds to the Mexican border, where the only thing in his path is a sheriff and his inexperienced staff. Arnold is great as Sheriff Ray Owens, most of the other characters are just comic relief like Luis Guzmán as a deputy and Johnny Knoxville as a crazy troublemaker and museum owner. Eduardo Noriega does alright as the main villain who spends most of the movie in a car, the villain for the first acts of the movie is a mercenary played by Peter Stormare who is about as intimidating as all the other villains played by Peter Stormare. The second best character is the female deputy played by Jamie Alexander, she holds her own in a gunfight and does help get the bad guys. The movie is tons of fun and i highly recommend it to anyone who likes action.
  17. Dec 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last stand is what i would like to call a modern day Rambo movie. Its fast, its intense ,its ridiculous at times. The story is pretty simple and goes like this: A Crime lord in Las Vegas has escaped jail and is trying to get to mexico .The only standing between him and freedom is a small town called Summerton which he has instructed his gang members to lay siege to in order to get him a straight shot out of the country. But it just so happened that Summerton has one the most badass sheriff in movie history who fights back with Gatling guns, flares and all kinds of gun. Its a violent but entertaining movie and there is even a car chase towards the end. But one thing that confuses me is the name: why is it called the last stand there was only one stand. Expand

1. Reviewed by: William Goss
    Feb 26, 2013
    The bloodshed speaks volumes enough, though, even if it takes some time getting to the mayhem proper.
    It's a junky, crowd-pleasing movie of sidekicks – Guzman and Knoxville – bad acting, over the top shootouts, and catch phrases.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jan 28, 2013
    If only Kim had a sense of humor to match his visual wit. Instead, we get rusted gags and rubbery acting.