6.7

1. May 15, 2014
    It is hard to return from retirement and instantly make a good movie. Nothing special here, just another old average shoot-out action movie with predictable plot, still enjoyable at few points thanks to Schwarzenegger's presence.
  2. Feb 12, 2014
    I felt a little lost in this movie. Don't get me wrong I thought it was actually pretty good but it bounced back from humor and seriousness that made it hard to know when to take it seriously. Other than that is just a good old fashion action movie with Arnold, how could that go wrong?
  3. Jan 22, 2014
    This film did not disappoint. So Arnie is a bit slower and bit wrinklier but that didn't stop me believing he could woop the baddies. It felt like a Taratino movie with the graphic blood and violence but I loved it.
    Action, humour (johnny knoxville!) fast cars and a nasty badguy - what's not to like?
  4. Jan 18, 2014
    It's literally just eye roll after eye roll of terrible cliches and bland shoot em up scenes. Not even Arnold can save this one. The plot is essentially a bare bones, utterly predictable excuse for the action; of which the scenes were predictable and unoriginal. There was some good acting, mainly from the big name stars like Arnold, but it falls through with the secondary characters; especially with the romance plot tumor. This movie was VERY clearly riding on the hype for Arnold to be back in acting. Expand
  5. Oct 20, 2013
    This was pretty good, at first I was losing interest cause of a few sill characters, but it picks up! The bad guy on this movie is annoying, hes one of those you want Arnold to get a hold of witch makes the movie fun to watch.Also a few good one liners from Arnold that I liked.
  6. Oct 18, 2013
    Obviously the parallels that TheStampMan has drawn between this film and the greatness of the USA haven't gone down too well but I would also argue that The Last Stand is a a social commentary of America and its history. And please note that I say this with a completely unashamed love of Arnie...

I'll start with the man himself. If action films represented the world economy, Arnie would
    be America. This man was once the most bankable movie star in the world. His bankablity wasn't based on talent
    or finesse, though. Indeed, Arnie made it to the top through brute force and confidence (bordering on arrogance). And even though he still retains a large degree of power, he's widely considered a relic of a simpler time.

Action stars these days generally triumph by using their intelligence and guile traits which stars like Arnie, Stallone, etc. just didn't/don't have in their lockers.

The fact that Arnie and the majority of actors with speaking parts in this film have an accent is obviously a tribute to America's immigrant heritage, and its acceptance of foreigners and their cultures.

Then there are the cars. These represent American consumerism. Much like Arnie, Corvettes and Camaros are big, loud, and look good. Americans aren't interested in what's underneath the hood. And they want no part in anything that displays even the slightest semblance of ingenuity and technical prowess, as demonstrated by George W. Bush's consecutive elections to the position of Commander in Chief despite his hilarious military track record. I probably should also say at this point that I just couldn't suspend my disbelief for long enough to buy into the fact that a criminal mastermind (no, not Bush!) with a racing pedigree would choose a Corvette for the most important road trip of his life.

Next, there is the dithery old bat with the shotgun. She is the personification of the Native American genocide. She's white, she's from money, and she has a pervading sense of entitlement. Her shop clearly displays an 'Open' sign (as seen at 01:18:10) yet almost as soon as the Native American looking fellow strolls in to browse her wears she blows him away with extreme predge. Arnie then legitimises her sense of entitlement by thanking her: clearly a homage to America's Thanksgiving tradition.

Which brings me nicely to the final act of the film. This is a spirited celebration of American gun laws. To the outside world, the fact that the citizens of the most dysfunctional nation on earth are armed to the teeth is confusing and horrifying in equal measure. However, had the townsfolk not been hoarding a cache of military-grade weaponry the bad guys would have been allowed to escape and continue their rampage of terror on the people of Central America and the Caribbean (Nicaragua, Panama, Cuba, etc.), which the Government and people of America would surely not have tolerated.

I'll give this film 5/10. It would have been a 4/10 had Arnie not been in it. I grew up in the 80s so, despite me now having a near-total understanding of his lack of talent, the man is firmly entrenched into my psyche because of the fantastic memories he has given me over the years.
  7. Aug 10, 2013
    Heading into it, I fully expected "The Last Stand" to be boilerplate Schwarzenegger: Guns, one-liners, poor attempts at dramatic turns, car chases, and more guns. "The Last Stand" is all these things, but manages to make it all worthwhile, working a fun supporting cast around the obviously aged Schwarzenegger while pumping every ounce of adrenaline from the predictable action sequences.

Trailers attempted to heavily sell Johnny Knoxville's role as some sort of zany sidekick, but his role is more limited than that, and its probably for the best. He adds to the fun of course, but it is the perturbed Peter Stormare who injects the highest amount of amusement. For a secondary villain, there is enough in his part to have made him the focal point of the entire film. Forrest Whittaker turns in a generic but satisfactory role as a head FBI Agent trying to recapture an escaped drug cartel kingpin, which is the entire plot in a nutshell. Again, nothing surprising here.

As for Arnold, he is a casual master at this sort of film, and despite the wear and tear, he is still more than believable as a small-town sheriff who doesn't know the meaning of the word 'quit'. Early attempts at fleshing out a bit of backstory on the character are appreciated, but ultimately unnecessary; it's Arnold Schwarzenegger, he's a cop, and there are bad guys between him and the film's eventual ending.

You can easily fill in the blanks without even watching it, but I recommend it anyway, because it does exactly what its supposed to do and wastes only a small amount of time trying to be something it isn't.
  8. Aug 3, 2013
    Schwarzeneger's back! And if you think that's a good thing, you're one of the many people I don't understand. I'm sorry, but I didn't find this film entertaining at all. Not to mention it has about as much depth as a Jessica Simpson music video.
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    If you're a fan of Arnold's second-tier action movies, you will enjoy The Last Stand. If you didn't like movies like Commando, Kindergarten Cop, and so on, I expect you won't like this movie. In a weird way, it seems like the supporting actors didn't really put much effort into their acting. Perhaps it was the direction, but the villains and the townspeople seem rather disinterested in the proceedings as if someone filmed a rehearsal that had gone on too long and just decided that was good enough.

And, I guess, it is just good enough if ...
    1) You really want to see a shoot-em-up.
    2) Can watch it for free (or nearly free), and
    3) No other action movie is available that really piques your interest.

I would have been bummed out not disappointed, really, but underwhelmed if I had I paid to see this in the theater. After all, I couldn't be too disappointed, since the movie is pretty much as advertised.
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    More or less what I was expecting and wanting. It starts off a little slow, focusing on bland backstory's and lame jokes, but once the bullets start flying the movie takes off. It's meant to play off of Arnold's age and does it well. That being said the movie also has poor acting despite it's above average plot. Still I came into this movie to watch Arnold (not even going to try to spell his last name XD), my all-time favorite action star, kill some dudes, and the movie delivers on that front. So if you come into this movie expecting a straight up popcorn worthy action flick, rather than a deep movie with excellent acting, you wont be disappointed. Expand
  11. Jun 4, 2013
    "Well to say The Last Stand is a comeback vehicle? i hope not, but the odds have it. Arnold is back in full swing as a gun toting sheriff ready to kill. With a few exceptions. "The Last Stand" proved to be quite, the exciting and intense action film." B
  12. Jun 3, 2013
    A formulaic action movie with a pointless plot. Arnold is pretty good here with a case full of one liners and he's the best part of this film. Still this has decent action, but a mediocre story.
  13. Jun 3, 2013
    “The Last Stand” presents a decent supporting cast (yes, Johnny Knoxville is part of that group), the film’s pace moves along quickly, and features the new Corvette ZR1. Its major drawback however, is its star protagonist that simply isn’t up to playing the part, which surprisingly, demands some emotional range. Although Director Kim Jee-Woon has carved a distinguished career out of hyper-violent silliness, his first American film is a throwback to the low CGI, focusing on stunt action with the revered themes of justice and honor, prevalent in classic Hollywood westerns. A mix of established actors with a handful of unknowns, a hearty dose of violence mixed with questionable humor, lots of guns accompanied by bland dialogue and cheesy one-liners. All in All, “The Last Stand” fully embraces exactly what it is, never taking itself seriously, and it works for the most part because of it.

Sheriff Owens (Schwarzenegger) is a man who has resigned himself to a life of fighting what little crime takes place in sleepy border town of Sommerton, Arizona after leaving the LAPD because of a botched operation. The story begins with a ridiculous, elaborate escape scenario that is planned and successfully executed to free a notorious, ruthless drug kingpin named Gabriel Cortez (Eduardo Noriega). Sheriff Owens receives a call from the inept Agent John Bannister (Forest Whitaker, who simply recites the lines in his role) of the FBI, which states a dangerous inmate has escaped from their custody, and is currently heading towards Sommerton to cross into Mexico. Arnold and his hapless deputies are their last opportunity to make a stand. Cortez is darting for the border at 200 mph in a specially outfitted car with a hostage and, a fierce army of gang members. At first reluctant to become involved, and then counted out because of the perceived ineptitude of his small town force, Owens ultimately accepts responsibility for the face off.

Once the crew of villain’s roll into Arnold’s town, the guns start firing and continue to fire, and copious amounts of blood is shed, all while ‘humor’ is injected between the bullet shells hitting the ground. We are exactly where we want to be engaged in an affectionately knowing B-grade showdown of stupidity versus even greater stupidity. Jee-Woon eventually narrows the field down to two, with Owens and Cortez facing off in a car chase through overgrown cornfields, before a final fisticuffs set against a super-stylized backdrop. The result may not seem meritorious at first glance, but for those with minimal expectations and a bloodlust for a certain strain of nostalgia, “The Last Stand” qualifies as pleasure that you just might feel guilty about.
  14. May 31, 2013
    The Last Stand was exactly what I thought it would be. Arnold Schwarzenegger proves he's still about the same actor he's always been. You're going to get some decent fight scenes, a bunch of over-done gun battles, some solid one-liners, and a severe lack of acting. If you're an Arnie fan like myself, you don't mind the flaws and enjoy it for what it is. The rest of the cast was about what you'd expect also. Luis Guzman played his usual comedic relief stereotype Hispanic role and Johnny Knoxville was hilarious as usual. I wish he would've been featured more but his role wasn't critical. I'm a huge Jaimie Alexander fan so I loved that she was in this film. She is stunningly beautiful and a very underrated actress who has the ability to do a lot of physical stunts without the need of a double because she's also impressively athletic. Hopefully she shines enough in these smaller roles to get a chance to become more of a leading actress. As for the plot, it dragged a bit early and there were some silly parts, especially involving Burrell's initial escape, but it developed well and once the meat of the movie got going it was enjoyable. Some of the action sequences were overdone but like I said, it is an Arnie movie. Overall, enjoyable and entertaining with some flaws but not enough to ruin the experience. Expand
  15. May 30, 2013
    Yep, he's back, with a pop corn action movie! My expectations were really low, but as it turned out it 'Last Stand" has it's charm. Overall it's a decent action movie with some good parts, and some problems as well!
  16. May 30, 2013
    Someone bad is speeding towards your town in a souped up sports car that only a higher power could slow down, so what do you do? Put Arnold Schwarzenegger in said town of course, and let him run riot simply because he hasn't been able to do so on his own for almost ten years.
    He stars as Sheriff Ray Owens, maintaining the law in a quiet town in Nevada, but the lack of crime leaves himself
    and his inexperienced crew with very little maintenance to keep. So on his day off, he suspects a few shady truckers in a diner but lets them on their way, but when the local milkman is found dead, Ray suspects everything is intertwined, especially when he gets a call from John Bannister (Forest Whitaker) of the FBI to inform him of an escaped death row convict possibly heading for Ray's small town. This escape itself is something right out of the A-Team, overblown and ridiculous but easily enjoyable.
    What Ray doesn't hold back on is getting back into old tricks to protect his friends after everything starts falling into place.
    There is plenty of set-pieces and other B movie antics to enjoy, but the film does take quite a while to get into the swing of things, trying too hard at certain points to make a story or plot development that isn't there or doesn't need to be explored, after all, some films just don't need that much thought or willpower to watch, but at various points throughout the film, tension is built only to unfold with little flare, at many times it just needed more of its main guy, and even more Johnny Knoxville would have sufficed.
    There is also the wasted opportunity of Whitaker, he has very little to do and an actor of his undeniable talent deserves better. But a more than excellent and explosive finale with some good old-fashioned fist fighting certainly finishes off a decent flick and return for Schwarzenegger, with plenty of action blended in with comedy to satisfy plenty, he's not at his best by a long shot, but he certainly leaves a presence that is hard to ignore.
    Theres nothing spectacular about Arnie's long awaited return to the screen, the acting all round is wodden and the story is filled with questionable motives, but for that reason its easy to get lost in this fun, silly and action-packed firefight that rarely puts down its weapons.
  17. May 22, 2013
    Anyone remember The Hunter? It turned out to be Steve McQueen's final screen appearance, playing a bounty hunter, in a rather generic action thriller, with some pretty good action sequences inserted. I thought of that film while watching this I think they share a cornfield car chase, I may be wrong), because, it too, is a generic thriller, with a few good action sequences. Arnold does his Arnold thing, squinting and creaking out his dialogue, with nods to his age. Knoxville plays the village idiot (typecasting?), with a thing for heavy artiliary. The major dissappointment is that I was expecting something a bit wilder from Kim Ji-woon, along the lines of John Woo's American debut, Hard Target. But hey, cranked up, with a few beers on a warm spring evening...? It'll do just fine. Expand
  18. Apr 30, 2013
    A small time sheriff is called up to the plate when an escaped fugitive tries to drive through his town......and of course he steps up to the plate with his rag-tag bunch of deputies and puts on a great "Last Stand". The story line is as painfully dull as the characters and the dialogs and the acting. There are a few good action scenes and car chases, but other than that, Arnold's great comeback is nothing more than big giant muscular cliche. Expand
  19. Apr 29, 2013
    Ahhnie is back with a vengeance! In the Last Stand! This Cheesy Mexican popcorn flick is really awesome. The film starts off slow but then it gets interesting. I'm pretty glad Arnie made this film. It's just bloody f**king fun with guns and hot cars. Just don't take brainy nerd to this movie.
  20. Apr 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a good pop corn movie and Arnold is always best. Supporting actors bit lame but anyway its a quite watchable movie.Last wrestling fight was quite amazing and so real. Expand
  21. Apr 23, 2013
    an ok story mixed with Tarantino style gun work makes this a great action movie. Arnold does a great job and delivers. i was very impressed on the amount of gore, and the detail in using it. not a lot, if any that i could tell of cg. a great action movie.
  22. Apr 23, 2013
    It could have been a great action flick but Ji-woon Kim botched it. There was enough crazinessin the trailers to suggest a success but the movie is far from what you could have expected
    The casting is okay regarding the supporting roles, I love Shwarzy even when his acting is as vivid as a piece of meat full of steroid (he actually have some nice scenes) so I can't complain, Knoxville is
    (or should have been) the star of the show but Eduardo Noriega is one of the worst villain I've seen lately, Luis Guzmán first half of the movie completely kill the other half and Forest Whitaker is THE least believable FBI coordinator I've ever seen
    I was enthusiast about the scenario but it appear dull after only 20mn into the movie.
    To continue about the craziness, it's all I was excpecting from this movie (I was seriously envisioning some kind of Machete/Tarantino-like freakshow) but even the few scenes that aim for that touch fall flat from poor acting or terrible editing
    I can't say that I did not enjoyed some of the scenes (seeing terminator bring his last german souplex was heartwarming) but overall, this is not what I expected and even trying to watch it frome the 2nd, 3rd and 4th degry didn't work for me
    I'll finish with some of the effect or choices that really buried the movie in my opinion (no spoilers hopefully)
    ° The overuse of the basic timetable (white letters on blurry screen) is annoying, there were so many creative way to use it in the movie
    ° The ''revenge for the good guy'' cliché, there were so many reasons to send Shwarzy after bad guys, why settle for a bad one?
    ° The obvious lack of originality (maybe the director had his hand tied, maybe he wasn't in the mood) but if all the good scenes of the movie can be sumed up in a 2mn trailer, why bother?
    ° The stupid-a*s backstory or the lack of them (''At age 3 he had his first mercedes, at age 5, his father built him a closed circuit in his backyard, at age 12 he was a competitive sport driver, at age 23 he is a drug lord and I drive him aroud Las Vegas with no intention whatsoever to make sure he doesn't escape, herp derp durp heurp'' (and the cuty can aim a sniper rifle without being trained by her step-father who'se a long lost Shwarzy friend, just saying)
    ° The horrible casting choices... Chris Tucker would have made a better mexican sidekick, Cheech Marin a way scarier bad guy and Giancarlo Esposito a trustworthy, calm, professionnal FBI agent with a sad backstory (''goddamn I won't loose another agent'' (see usefull backstory up there)) Ps guess which one I would have choose for the actual role
  23. Apr 22, 2013
    Its been over a decade since Arnie's last starring role and The Last Stand signifies his return to the action persona he fostered over the years and from the looks of it he still has something to show but the film doesn't prove to be the return showcase he envisioned, not by a long shot. This time around Arnie is called upon when a dangerous cartel leader escapes federal custody and he heads to the small town of Sommerton where Sheriff Ray 'Arnie' Owens must stop him from crossing the border into mexico with the help of his deputies and a few well intentioned civilians. While not completely inept, The Last Stand does feel like a low budget actioner for actors past their prime which is why I thought it odd Forrest Whitakers character wasn't played by Cuba Godding Jr. The film prides itself on its humour and the many in jokes that go with working with Arnie but there are only so many you can take. After a while it grows tiresome and it feels like you are being fed a block of cheese with no substance, no bread. The film does try and take it seriously occasionally but does so in such a generic way that it never feels sincere and the emotion displayed is always fake. The film is viciously violent but not for any good reason and Luis Guzman and Johnny Knoxville show up for cheap laughs (you laugh at them, not with them) even though you just want the film to end. There are only so many references of Ray being past his prime you can take and catchphrases like "I'm the Sheriff" don't help matters. The director does have some flair for the action elements of the film but overall it feels like a first shot, it will be interesting to see if the directors next will improve upon The Last Stand, a disappointing action comedy. Expand
  24. Feb 26, 2013
    Arnold is still giving good performances and this film is no exception it's a fun film to watch and the action is really fun to watch and while the story was not the greatest the cast did their best to make you watch a really enjoyable film
  25. Feb 7, 2013
    There is nothing special about this movie NOTHING beyond the fact that Arnold is in this movie and his action scenes are no where what they used to be. Everything corny that you hate from C- 80s/90s action flicks are in The Last Stand from the feeble guy whom you really don't care for anyways that dies, to the ridiculous guy that won't die, the Mr. Bad Guy don't mess with me is present, some cheap attempts at humour which fall flat on their face, suspense where the outcome is painfully obvious, a storyline which is there only as an excuse to give the action some meaning and to the paltry car explosion scene that you've seen a million times in past movies. The acting is all around terrible too (Arnold) except for Johnny Knoxville who talks with his mouth as well as his facial expressions. He was a pleasure to watch in a non-homosexual way. Action was terrible outside of the chaingun scene (which lasts 10 seconds) and the whole time I was waiting for Arnold to do something amazing but no...nothing happened. Just a corny ending and me feeling bad I had to pay for this on a Tuesday night. Watch this movie if you want your crying family to read on your coroner's report: "central nervous system necrosis and subsequent apnea due to boredom" as the cause of death. Expand
  26. Feb 6, 2013
    Apparently the cast of The Expendables are moonlighting for different roles, respectively. Arnold Schwarzenegger took the role of an old, as he said so himself, sheriff of a small town near the border of Mexico and USA. As far as action flick goes, The Last Stand will not disappoint, despite the cheesy lines and some acting flaws. Fist-to-fist brawls, gun fights in the middle of a street, and wild chase scenes contribute in overshadowing what shortcomings it may have.

A fugitive has eluded FBI when he was about to be transferred to another prison. Using trickery, his mercenary team and a sweet ride that could easily be featured in Fast and Furious, he dashed for the border. As we all know from previous dozens action movies, fleeing to Mexico is equivalent of a jail free ticket. Unfortunately this little town, which has Arnold as its sheriff, stands between him and complete freedom.

Honestly, whenever Arnold appears and tries to act, there's a lingering feel of awkwardness as if it'd be unintentionally comedic, although some scenes provide comedic relief at his own expense. However, his name still carries some weight, and I'm sure everyone has certain expectation when watching his movies. He puts decent performance, instead of putting air, he's showed as a weary battle-sicken man, but still a man who will hold his ground, with several questionable characters as his deputies.

The movie doesn't owe the fun thrill to Arnold alone, the pace is well structured, time frame is nicely done, and the others compliment the humor as well. Johnny Knoxville as Lewis Dinkum is admittedly downright ridiculous, he owns a museum of highly destructive weapons for plot convenient purpose. He also has perhaps the most notable shabby acting, the clown, if you will, thought he might induce some chuckles.

Forrest Whittaker as John Bannister, the FBI agent in lead of the operation is adequate, considering he has acting mettle more than the rest. Peter Stomare as the slightly psychopathic accomplice does just that, a slightly psychopathic second villain. The rest are bundles of misfits, mandatory hot chicks, and agents who will eventually come just in time to miss the action. Direction and choreography are well thought-out, divided in a focused pace while clever camera angles capture the action quite amazingly. The Last Stand has hackneyed acting and lines, has plenty of quirkiness, but serves its bullet-whistling and car-chasing fun like it's supposed to and quite entertainingly in that regard.
  27. Feb 4, 2013
    Good action picture. Sure Arnold is old and isn't great looking. This is an Arnold movie. It has a good plot, moves along briskly and was fun to watch. If you saw Bullet to the Head with Stallone and liked it, you will like this one too.
  28. Jan 28, 2013
    Some parts of the movie were really painful to watch, but if you're looking for an action flick devoid of any plausible storytelling, go see this movie.
  29. Jan 27, 2013
    A romping good time. This is the Arnold we've missed. Unlike Stallone, who's films tend to play around with the morose side of cartoon violence, Arnie's new film embraces its ridiculous over the top conflict with glee. The action set pieces are fantastic, over the top and gleefully violent. Everything an Arnie movie needs. The villian is gleefully cheesy, racecar driving pablo escobar. The most interesting thing about this film though is the score and editing. The score is outstanding, it adds to the tension and ramps up every scene to that sweet spot, just to get you pumped to see Arnold tackle a dude off a roof and blow his brains out at the same time, or when you need to ramp up the tension for when the villain decides to use a super car to take out two SUVs. The editing though is a bit iffy. It's not bad outright, but it definetley stands out, because from a technical aspect everything else works like clockwork. The movie was great, Arnie looks leathery but was still great. This is the way to bring back your career! Expand
  30. Jan 25, 2013
    Movie was eh. Don't like seeing Arnold old, just doesn't pump me up like he use to. Movies like this makes me long for the days of Total Recall, Terminator, and Predator.

1. Reviewed by: William Goss
    Feb 26, 2013
    The bloodshed speaks volumes enough, though, even if it takes some time getting to the mayhem proper.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Jan 30, 2013
    It's a junky, crowd-pleasing movie of sidekicks – Guzman and Knoxville – bad acting, over the top shootouts, and catch phrases.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jan 28, 2013
    If only Kim had a sense of humor to match his visual wit. Instead, we get rusted gags and rubbery acting.