The Last Station

7.9

1. Catherine
    Jan 10, 2010
    Absolutely adored this film, watched it twice. The ensemble is impeccable, the photography stunning, the dialog just right. Michael Hoffman has grown a great deal as a director and the performances by Mirren, Plummer and McAvoy are a joy to witness. I think this is my favorite film of the year.
  2. DWilly
    Jan 17, 2010
    This is a first rate film and has pushed past "Julia & Julie" as my selection for best movie of the year. Mirren and Plummer are simply magnificent, and this McAvoy kid now proves himself to be unquestionably the real deal, demonstrating both comedic and big-time dramatic chops. Giamatti is first rate as usual and this Kerry Condon (from the towering HBO miniseries "Rome") showing herself This is a first rate film and has pushed past "Julia & Julie" as my selection for best movie of the year. Mirren and Plummer are simply magnificent, and this McAvoy kid now proves himself to be unquestionably the real deal, demonstrating both comedic and big-time dramatic chops. Giamatti is first rate as usual and this Kerry Condon (from the towering HBO miniseries "Rome") showing herself ready to give Emily Blunt a run for her money. This director shows how, though long into his unremarkable career (with the exception of the under the radar "Game 6"), there's a masterpiece is yet available to thems that persevere; and Dom Delillo, with a cult following as a novelist, breaksthrough with his adapted screenplay. Learn about Tolstoy, delight to the bold and smartly portrayed human politics, and watch the craft of acting renderered with both nimbleness and punch. Collapse
  3. AnthonyW
    Dec 11, 2009
    Great movie with great performances, a good story about madness and love, with an unforgettable cast and score.
  4. Lyn
    Aug 22, 2010
    When Helen Mirren got an Oscar nomination for this, I thought, hoo, boy, does she have to get nominated for every film she does? But having seen the film now, I have to say she totally deserved it! As Tolstoy's wife, she is smart, tormented, manipulative, sensual, vulnerable . . . just amazing. Christopher Plummer is terrific, too.
  5. Sep 1, 2014
    An astonishing story of the last days of Tolstoy's life, told so beautifully by grand performances from Helen Mirren, Christopher Plummer and James McAvoy.

A stop any literary-minded movie-goer will want to make.
  2. The movie seemed a disappointment at first, until I decided I was missing the point: It’s actually a drama about the way people treat a celebrity – with fear or reverence, as a source of income or reflected glory– and the way their own personalities change around him, while his stays the same. In that way, the film’s a small triumph.
  3. It is edifying, it is emotionally engaging, it is embraceable.