4.8

1. Feb 27, 2014
    The Legend doesn't compare to The Mask, but is still a great Zorro movie that takes this great story beyond boundaries. What it lacks in acting and writing, it makes up for in story.
  2. Nov 13, 2013
    The Legend of Zorro isn't very Legendary.
    While Zorro is surrounded by a well rounded cast and a very intriguing story; the directors turn it into a boring monstrosity of what it was intended to be.
  3. Oct 31, 2010
    not an excellent sequel, but its perfect and it has the presence of the return of Antonio Banderas and Catherine-Zeta Jones.
  4. ShaunS
    Dec 26, 2006
    What a load of mindless drival. Anthony Hopkins stick to the roles you are brilliant at. Banderas and Zeta Jones man what a mismatch, no chemistry, just plain bored out of my skull.
  5. MichaelJ.
    Mar 19, 2006
    Fantastic! I was kinda worried about it being rubbish before i saw it, but it was'nt!
  6. ArielG.
    Feb 22, 2006
    Mildly entertaining, well-directed and watchable, but ultimately unfulfilling in the end. It lacked the excitement and the 'big movie' experience of the prequel. One thing I disliked most about the movie was the corny dialogue. What did I particularly like about this movie? All the gratuitous shots of the lovely Catherine Zeta-Jones' ample cleavage. The action was well Mildly entertaining, well-directed and watchable, but ultimately unfulfilling in the end. It lacked the excitement and the 'big movie' experience of the prequel. One thing I disliked most about the movie was the corny dialogue. What did I particularly like about this movie? All the gratuitous shots of the lovely Catherine Zeta-Jones' ample cleavage. The action was well executed though, so action fans should like it. Expand
  7. Phantomfreak07
    Jan 25, 2006
    I loved this movie. I felt a bond with Zorro when I saw 1998's Mask, and this strengthened it. I loved little Adrian Alonso (Joaquin), he was adorable! Antonio and Catherine were stunning as always, and Sewell made a very good villain. He had the charm to keep your attention at the same time you knew he was up to something. If he were in a different role, I'd go on about him, I loved this movie. I felt a bond with Zorro when I saw 1998's Mask, and this strengthened it. I loved little Adrian Alonso (Joaquin), he was adorable! Antonio and Catherine were stunning as always, and Sewell made a very good villain. He had the charm to keep your attention at the same time you knew he was up to something. If he were in a different role, I'd go on about him, but I'll stick with saying I liked his eyes. I did, however, question (after seeing the film) why it wasn't also rated PG13. With all the crazy action stunts and even the child swearing (so what if it was Spanish? I understood it w/o subtitles) I expected it to get a higher rating. All in all though, I loved it and can't wait till it is released on DVD. Expand
  8. MarkB.
    Jan 4, 2006
    It's expected that the second half of this sequel to the 1998 Antonio Banderas/ Catherine Zeta-Jones summer popcorn flick about the famous Old California hybrid of Robin Hood and Batman would have the feel of a Wild, Wild West episode once the plot kicks into gear. However, I really wasn't expecting the first half, which deals with the Z-man's difficulties adjusting to It's expected that the second half of this sequel to the 1998 Antonio Banderas/ Catherine Zeta-Jones summer popcorn flick about the famous Old California hybrid of Robin Hood and Batman would have the feel of a Wild, Wild West episode once the plot kicks into gear. However, I really wasn't expecting the first half, which deals with the Z-man's difficulties adjusting to marriage and fatherhood, to play so much like an installment of Everybody Loves Raymond! (it definitely helps that neither Patricia Heaton nor Zeta-Jones are able to stop being extremely appealing, desirable women no matter how much nagging their characters do.) Banderas' charming, often comic performance, a cute one by child actor Adrian Alonso as Zorro's son and pint-sized counterpart, an amusing one by Rufus Sewell, who plays his villainous role as a Hispanic Christopher Walken, some imaginative PG-rated methods of disposing of the bad guys and a number of rather audacious parallels to contemporary politics and warfare place this clearly in the 'guilty pleasure' category; like the original, it's notably longer than it has any right to be (perhaps Steven Spielberg executive producing both of them is a factor?) ...but The Legend of Zorro provides enough consistent fun to assure that you won't be catching any Z's while watching it. Expand
  9. NickS
    Dec 28, 2005
    The plot, dialog and action is absurdly predictable. Once I had started laughing at the romance scenes and the dodgy accents, everyone else in the cinema did too.
  10. Squall
    Dec 15, 2005
    Not cool at all. Simply awful! Enough said.
  11. FiladelfioJ.
    Dec 11, 2005
    This Movie is cool very cool.
  12. WallyS.
    Dec 8, 2005
    Mindless escapist fun. Banderas and Zeta-Jones are all charm, and it turns out to be a dazzling elegant and spectacular action flick. Maybe not better than the original version, but that is asking too much.
  13. AdamL.
    Nov 29, 2005
    If Your Looking for a plot movie, don't waste your money. Action Lovers, This is your movie! It's almost one continues fight scene rapped up in a 2 hour spectacular. other than the -1 I gave it for the non-fight scenes that sucked, it was good!
  14. Harriet
    Nov 28, 2005
    Very disappointing effort after the last. Not worthy of your time or money.
  15. DaveG
    Nov 11, 2005
    As stated - not as good as the original (sans Hopkins) but nevertheless, a good fun mindless romp of cinema. Banderas and Zeta-Jones have enough charisma to carry the picture when the plot (or lack thereof) falters. Definately not an Oscar contender, but in a year of mediocre to awful films, this one manages to entertain and serves to deliver some escapist entertainment to the public. As stated - not as good as the original (sans Hopkins) but nevertheless, a good fun mindless romp of cinema. Banderas and Zeta-Jones have enough charisma to carry the picture when the plot (or lack thereof) falters. Definately not an Oscar contender, but in a year of mediocre to awful films, this one manages to entertain and serves to deliver some escapist entertainment to the public. Look for it to probably hit DVD in March or April at the latest. Expand
  16. M.Valdo
    Nov 8, 2005
    See Bart B. Do you like concept of Zorro? YES. Is he still the good guy (not killing anyone? YES. Does Antonio still have it? YES. Back to see Bart B. The time sped by. We loved it. The kid WAS charming and can take the baton.
  17. ZakHimself
    Nov 7, 2005
    What a waste of time... Weak plot (very!), Completely anachronic (divorce in the 1800s?! Hello?!! couldn't they afford a 15mins consultance with a high school history teacher?!) And what's with that mindblowingly awful scene of forgetting the kid at school??!! Double Hello! If you're a Don either your servants go fetch the kid or if you dont have money to have servants then What a waste of time... Weak plot (very!), Completely anachronic (divorce in the 1800s?! Hello?!! couldn't they afford a 15mins consultance with a high school history teacher?!) And what's with that mindblowingly awful scene of forgetting the kid at school??!! Double Hello! If you're a Don either your servants go fetch the kid or if you dont have money to have servants then you probably cant afford shcooling your kid anyway! I wont say anything about the soap-opera-like dialog, the ridiculous fight scenes and the rest of this stinking pile of Tornado's excrements. Better go rent the witty original feature and forget there ever was a sequel. Expand
  18. kharagh
    Nov 6, 2005
    Well...critics are wrong.This movie is fun!
  19. BartB.
    Oct 31, 2005
    Fun, action-packed swashbuckler. It met all my expectations. I wasn't asking for the plot to be totally original. As long as it met the conventions of the swashbuckler genre, it met my expectations. The dialog wasn't inspired, but it didn't have to be. I thought the dialog and story were adequete, and humerous in places, that's all it needed to be. My parameters for Fun, action-packed swashbuckler. It met all my expectations. I wasn't asking for the plot to be totally original. As long as it met the conventions of the swashbuckler genre, it met my expectations. The dialog wasn't inspired, but it didn't have to be. I thought the dialog and story were adequete, and humerous in places, that's all it needed to be. My parameters for judging a film start with what was the director trying to do, and was he successful? I don't think judging that a director failed at doing something he might not even have been trying to do is really makes much sense. Of course the director failed at it, that's not what he was trying to do. The other thing I consider is how the film affected me, and why. This film entertained me and made me feel good. It kept my full interest and I enjoyed it because I didn't get hung up on what it wasn't; or what I thought it should have been. I accepted for what it was, a good old-fashioned swashbuckling action flick to eat popcorn with; and as such, I enjoyed it a lot. Expand
  20. chuckyo
    Oct 29, 2005
    The critics' reviews are generally accurate. It has plenty of action, but, I guess you could say that the movie just isn't as sexy and fun as the first one was.

1. Turning "Zorro" into a family movie with domestic squabbles and sitcom situations takes some of the luster off the romantic adventure of Old California.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Bigger, louder and considerably less charming than its predecessor…Still, there are enough crowd-pleasing moments amid the frenetic action.
  3. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    If the series wants to become a franchise, a rethink and new blood will be necessary -- maybe Banderas can get mortally wounded in reel one of The Son Of Zorro, passing on the mask and sword to, say, Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal.