8.2

1. Feb 10, 2014
    Am i the only one that thought this movie was awful? At first, i honestly thought the animation was a joke and was waiting for it to change from 1970's style stop motion animation to something from 2014 but nope! It stayed like that the entire movie. I just couldnt enjoy the clunky way the characters moved and eventually fell asleep (thankfully). The only saving grace was the batmanAm i the only one that thought this movie was awful? At first, i honestly thought the animation was a joke and was waiting for it to change from 1970's style stop motion animation to something from 2014 but nope! It stayed like that the entire movie. I just couldnt enjoy the clunky way the characters moved and eventually fell asleep (thankfully). The only saving grace was the batman character which made me smile but i cant remember laughing out loud once. I tried people! i really did....it was the animation that totally killed it for me. Expand
  2. Feb 10, 2014
    Batman and the Star Wars scene was Ok, but the rest? Never get close to this movie.Lame story, boring characters the action scenes were too fast, the dialogues were too slow, a real tragedy all together...
  3. Feb 13, 2014
    In truth this is just an extended advertisement for the lego toy product. This visually fascinating and imaginative movie is totally undone by a boring story. Movie references and in jokes abound but cannot rescue it from the doldrums. The introduction of two human characters towards the end of the film does at least contextualise what has gone before to a satisfyingly positive conclusion.In truth this is just an extended advertisement for the lego toy product. This visually fascinating and imaginative movie is totally undone by a boring story. Movie references and in jokes abound but cannot rescue it from the doldrums. The introduction of two human characters towards the end of the film does at least contextualise what has gone before to a satisfyingly positive conclusion. However, the hint of a possible sequel is a no no. Someone please ensure that all pieces are definitely locked away in a toy box. Expand
  4. Feb 19, 2014
    Dire. I kept hoping things would pick up on account of the rave reviews this has been receiving, but it turned out to be an unfunny, unoriginal mess from start to finish. "Everything is awesome" -- it's the sort of thing you'll enjoy if you still think Lolcats etc are funny.
  5. Feb 15, 2014
    Wow. I felt actually bad and guilty after taking my child to see this. I felt like I just fed him McDonalds fries for dinner. I felt like he needed to read something quick. What a movie for the ADD crowd. One escape scene after another. Action so fast you cannot even tell what the heck is going on.Not that I really wanted to. All those stupid lasers being shot all the time. The story andWow. I felt actually bad and guilty after taking my child to see this. I felt like I just fed him McDonalds fries for dinner. I felt like he needed to read something quick. What a movie for the ADD crowd. One escape scene after another. Action so fast you cannot even tell what the heck is going on.Not that I really wanted to. All those stupid lasers being shot all the time. The story and script is awful and the jokes fell flat. There was no imagination put into the story or script whatsoever. The evil cop is called "Bad Cop". What a waste of time this movie was. And it kept going on and on and on. After being burned by Meteoritic on Wall E, Hugo and now Lego I will never trust it again. Expand
  6. Mar 4, 2014
    The most disappointing movie I have ever seen, there isn't a single moment of entertainment in this film whatever age you may be. Its mind bending how critics or anyone managed to score this so highly. There is no story and it tries to give some kind of message at the end but it falls flat due to the stagnant cynicism of the story. It doesn't explore any new ideas and any good jokes areThe most disappointing movie I have ever seen, there isn't a single moment of entertainment in this film whatever age you may be. Its mind bending how critics or anyone managed to score this so highly. There is no story and it tries to give some kind of message at the end but it falls flat due to the stagnant cynicism of the story. It doesn't explore any new ideas and any good jokes are frivolously chucked in with no care. Terrible. Expand
  7. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I could have given this movie a 5 or 6 if it wasn't for the live action section. That aspect of the movie made for a huge shift in tone. It turned a silly lighthearted movie that didn't take itself too seriously into some serious moral tale. Except what the heck was the moral of the story? Always let your bratty kids have their way?

Apparently hardworking Business Dad gives up his (perfectly valid and not inherently evil) hobby in the end because his ill behaved son has no impulse control. The kid just can't stop messing with the father's models and the intricate city that he's built over time. Perhaps this is how Business Dad relaxes after a hard day at the faceless business office.

If the dad knew the kid was interested, in a real life situation he would have probably been thrilled and bought the kid his own Lego so he could contribute in his own way. Instead we have Business Dad acting in an unrealistic manner. If I saw correctly, it seems like the kid only gets already glued chunks of Lego to play with. Who would do that? Seriously? Why didn't Business Dad just buy his son some better Lego so he could share in the hobby and contribute in his own creative way? They don't really elaborate and instead focus on "Silly adults! Lego is for kids!"

At the same time, the kid is a brat and uses his sad puppy face to manipulate his father. This kid that knew the rules of the house (and has his own toys) destroys the meticulous work that his father did in the name of "I'M BORED GIMME MORE TOYS". If I remember correctly the father says this wasn't the first time the kid had messed with his models. Who buys bad kids more toys?

Did anyone else notice that when the father finally caves the kid doesn't want his little sister to play with his new Lego paradise, FOR THE SAME REASON the dad doesn't want his son playing with his models? Some lesson of sharing and open mindedness we've learned here... "Sharing is good as long as I get everything and give nothing!" Total hypocrisy. One of my laugh out loud moments was when I saw the kid's reaction to his dad's request and realized that it was "like father like son".

There are problems with the rest of the movie as well, lots of problems, but my original critique is too long to post here. The real problem that hamstrings this movie is that shift in tone and vague moralizing that makes no sense and ruins the magic.
  8. Mar 9, 2014
    The Lego Movie just didn't click. The first issue was the stop-motion animation. The entire movie is jerky as 1963's Jason and the Argonauts. As if it was made by a first year animation student. Coupled with 3-D - it was a headache inducing experience. I couldn't believe how amateurish it looked. Secondly, the humour was incredibly puerile. Now, i love silly humour too but each joke wasThe Lego Movie just didn't click. The first issue was the stop-motion animation. The entire movie is jerky as 1963's Jason and the Argonauts. As if it was made by a first year animation student. Coupled with 3-D - it was a headache inducing experience. I couldn't believe how amateurish it looked. Secondly, the humour was incredibly puerile. Now, i love silly humour too but each joke was weaker than the last. The plot twist at the end was schmaltzy and annoying. Even my 3 kids didn't seem to like it much. We're obviously in the minority as everybody seems to love this film but we thought it was lame. Collapse
  9. Feb 24, 2014
    Truly an AWFUL movie. I cannot believe the number of critics that have said this is the best movie of the year...i am dumbfounded. Not only did I NEVER laugh once during this unoriginal piece of crap, but neither did the 100's of kids at the showing. I expected to hear them giggle with glee or scream with delight...but it never happened.DO NOT waste your money on this film.
  10. Feb 22, 2014
    If you're between 6 and 14 years of age you might like this movie. Otherwise forget it. Surprisingly dark and violent for the age group the movie supposedly is meant to target. Animation gave me a headache… thank goodness we didn't see it in 3D.
  11. Jun 9, 2014
    The stop motion animation got stale quickly. The jokes were so-so and the plot/dialogue was a huge waste of the greatly talented actors voicing the characters. Very disappointed with this movie.
  12. Mar 1, 2014
    Just saw the movie with a few friends, and I'd have to say...it was exactly as I thought it would be. For the most part. I didn't have any real expectations going into it. I mean, it was called the LEGO movie, so interesting could it actually be? It was...unique, I'll give it that.

You know how most movies throw in the occasional pop culture reference? Something witty, something that will be a little more memorable than other parts of said movie? The LEGO movie was built upon those. I mean, they were EVERYWHERE. Cat posters, Batman's attitude, Good/Bad cop (they weren't even trying to be subtle with this one).

And the cliches. For crying out loud, could a movie about creativity do something original? 'Strong' female protagonist that needs a man, no one dies at the end, every single subplot resolves itself, hero goes on journey and discovers self, I mean, come on! I was actually happy when I thought that Emmett died, and would become a martyr or something but NOPE!!! Spoiler, not really, he lives! You know why this wasn't tagged as a spoiler? Because there was no way that he could die. The movie's cliches made him immortal.

Story-wise, it sucked. There was no story. Well, nothing that wasn't covered by the cliches at least. I guess one could say it was satire, but you know what? Satire really doesn't make up for no interesting plot whatsoever.

Now, for the 'positive' part. The animation style was great. It fit the Lego theme really well, and I wouldn't mind seeing that in other movies. The voice talent did a good job, and you know what? They occasionally did a clever thing during an action sequence. This all would merit it a 5.

Unfortunately, the 5 was downgraded to a 4, for the terrible ending. Not going to spoil it, but...really? REALLY?
  13. Feb 24, 2014
    Sometimes it's really funny in that special kind of LEGO way, but more often it's just a long row of bang bang action that isn't very entertaining really. The story is shallow and, as it turns out, cliché. I just can't helping thinking that it could have been done in a much better way. They could have easily brought more depth to the main character, and skipped much of the heroes vsSometimes it's really funny in that special kind of LEGO way, but more often it's just a long row of bang bang action that isn't very entertaining really. The story is shallow and, as it turns out, cliché. I just can't helping thinking that it could have been done in a much better way. They could have easily brought more depth to the main character, and skipped much of the heroes vs villains crap. My kids didn't laugh even once, and neither did any of the others in the cinema. And what's with the 3D? Does anyone enjoy 3D? It's garbage, I tell you. Expand
  14. May 23, 2014
    I was actually bored...BORED through this movie. Wreck it Ralph ran CIRCLES around this movie. Heck, it's only one notch above entertaining. Critics need to be fired for rating it so high.
  15. Apr 4, 2014
    It was not funny nor was it entertaining. It was just a bad movie. I hoping it would get better, but some how it got worse. I am not sure why most people are saying it was great.
  16. Apr 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everything is awful! The Lego Movie is one of the most terrible movies released ever and makes me physically angry. Society (both young and old) have been praising this appalling movie for the humour, the story and the amazing CGI animation, however this was a huge let down in the end. The animation was similar to that of the stop motion from the past. This animation style just felt awful to watch and fell short of expectations that were given from the praise it had been receiving. Objects were added and removed from each frame obviously for effect but it just felt very clunky and was an eyesore. The action scenes were a headache to watch because of this as they were too fast and erratic. There weren't many action scenes either, and for good reason too, as most of them were un-entertaining. The story was completely atrocious in the way it was portrayed. The film opened surprisingly as it begins very abruptly.

The audience and I try to catch up with the plot although already being tossed straight into the story. The humour and wit in this film is dreadful and was dissatisfying to say the least. The jokes were presented to the audience horribly as they were constantly repeated. This caused the audience to become disengaged in the humour after approximately twenty minutes into the film. No one in the theater even laughed at any one point in the film either, instead there were just smiles or small giggles and these were gone by halfway through the movie.

The references to aspects in modern society were also short-coming as they were overused just like the jokes. There were many references to characters and icons of pop culture in the twentieth century from many superheroes, to Shaquille O'Neal, and to many others. Most of these references must have been used as a joke because there were very few that were even used to advance the story or even be included in the story. Instead they had their short moments or one liners, or even just their single appearance. The appearance of Will Ferrell added some saving grace to the film for many but for others that might not be enough! There were far too many scenes in the film where the main protagonist and his blocky friends would just be escaping the place they currently were. The evil police man known as the "Bad Cop", would constantly chase Emmet Brickowski from one place to the other which just left people wondering, when it would end. Watching this film was physically exhausting as not only would they be dashing from place to place on the run, but there would be crazy story advancements and even flashy colours being thrown into the mix.

Is this movie even well made? A love story beyond the ages, action that transcends all, and most importantly an intricate story-line? I don't think a single aspect of those were used in this movie and this left me wanting to leave the theater before the film was even finished. This movie was unoriginal and was a complete disappointment. I'm now going to go cry myself to sleep after watching this horrid film.
  17. Mar 10, 2014
    Wow. We walked out of this movie... Couldn't believe how horrible it was... It was incredibly ADD and the animation was almost impossible to comprehend at times. Most jokes are disguised as anti-corporation/capitalism which might have been cute with the exception of the Lego company being a monster corporation itself... jokes were almost anti-capitalism to the point of making fun of LegosWow. We walked out of this movie... Couldn't believe how horrible it was... It was incredibly ADD and the animation was almost impossible to comprehend at times. Most jokes are disguised as anti-corporation/capitalism which might have been cute with the exception of the Lego company being a monster corporation itself... jokes were almost anti-capitalism to the point of making fun of Legos as a business.

So much cool stuff could have been done in this movie regarding the story. It was just too quick to intro characters and ideas... the first 30 seconds smacks you in the face, give me a minute to breath.

They attempted to have the polish of Pixar storytelling but fell flat on their face. The animation in general was spectacular (exception with action scenes) especially with so much limitation. Most mood was infused with pink and neon blue backlighting.

Dare I say that Marvel Legos Movie destroyed this...
  18. Feb 22, 2014
    I didn't really like the movie either. I nearly fell asleep. The only thing that i thought was good was the father and son thing at the end, but the rest I could do without. I only went because my boys wanted to go.
  19. May 31, 2014
    Do not get this movie I regret spending 7$ renting it I would have paid 14$ not to watch it it is very childish and my kid did not find it funny at all. At all. Me even less it was so predictable and it almost matched the report my 8 year old child handed in for English DO NOT GET OR EVEN WATCH IF YOU CAN GET IT FOR FREE.
  20. Jul 7, 2014
    I've had a list of the worst movies ever made in hand for thirty years.I'm 30 min into this move and I truly want the people sharing it with me to die painfully horrible deaths.Not only does this join my list of **** movies,it tops it by a mile.I wish for a universe where I can give a less than zero score...
  21. Nov 27, 2014
    This was a bad movie. it's boring, added real people in it, bad ending, they say that glue is a powerful weapon, and you don't know what is going on. When i saw this in the beginning, i was like, "WOW, this is great!" then through out i got bored and was like, "what just happened?" and at the end i was like, "I hate this!!" this movie is a TOTAL disappointment! Even though it looks good onThis was a bad movie. it's boring, added real people in it, bad ending, they say that glue is a powerful weapon, and you don't know what is going on. When i saw this in the beginning, i was like, "WOW, this is great!" then through out i got bored and was like, "what just happened?" and at the end i was like, "I hate this!!" this movie is a TOTAL disappointment! Even though it looks good on the commercials, it was horribly bad. THIS IS A WASTE OF MONEY I TELL YOU!! Expand
  22. Oct 21, 2014
    i j i zz e d on this film so much i cant have kids even though i rated 0 haha uhdfguhdrguygebsdfghjdfsjgfbjgfeghgfbgfhjgjhhjbfsgbjhfdhjbghjbgfdjhbgfdbjhfgdhjbkgfdbhgfkbgbhjkg
  23. Mar 12, 2014
    Nominator got it. This movie is just a perfect example of the techniques that businesses wield to get kids to by stuff . What one takes away from it is kids should by selfish don't share your toys so your parents can by another toy for your sibling . The Movie had no real voice actors cast . Really simple jokes and gags which is offensive because they think we are all dumb .
  24. Mar 2, 2014
    lego movie is the 100 % wrost film 89 % good film the begging and middle was terrible . the wrost animated films i ever seen . i think children are sugar rushed to like this film
  25. Mar 24, 2014
    as a game that the story is more or less the style of movie is horrible lego people only makes success in that cartoon is kid of two years and only managed to score 2 more or less the story that would be good in a movie with actors who able to walk right.
  26. Apr 5, 2014
    I have just got home from taking my 13 year old and 10 of his mates to see the new Lego movie for his 13th birthday.
    All I can say is," Were all the critics who wrote reviews on this movie smoking crack when they watched it"?. After 10 mins in I had 11 kids between the ages of 7 - 13 squirming in there seats and fidgeting.Thank god the pizza's and drinks were delivered at the 30 min mark as I think they would have been walking out of the cinema.The Pizza and drinks kept them going till the 1 hour mark. Not to sure what happened between the 70th and 80th minute as I fell asleep.
    Once the movie was completed I think my 8 year old summed up the movie, his words were "Thank goodness for the last 15 mins as it pulled the whole movie together" Not that there was a lot to pull together .Not once did I hear any of the kids laugh throughout the movie frankly they all admitted in the Foyer after the movie it was quite boring.
    Lego I gave you a good go, it cost me $600 AUD for tickets and food in Gold Class yet you delivered me nothing more then a boring,lack lustre movie that failed in all aspects including animation, production and a reasonable plot. At best a half decent DVD movie.
  27. Oct 20, 2014
    The Lego Movie starts at maximum intensity and never goes down from there. It's full of fast action, punch lines and stereotypes. I never got a chance to breathe and take it all in. I was dissappointed at the poor pacing. But everything is Lego, so the visuals and effects are cool.
  28. Dec 16, 2014
    The Lego Movie sucks. It's one of the worst animated films i ever seen.
    I don't understand even why it was nominated for Golden Globe.
    The story and films is not good. I really don't understand that horrible film.
    My rate is zero. I hope it not winning or nominated for Oscar and Golden Globe

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Dec 15, 2014
    A clever, vividly imagined, consistently funny, eye-poppingly pretty and oddly profound movie … about Legos.
  2. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Sep 22, 2014
    Beautifully shot, impeccably paced, and with a voice cast that nails it in every role, large or small, "The Lego Movie" is a genuine delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Mar 3, 2014
    As a rule, movies about toys need to be approached with extreme caution; some of them have been bad enough to count as health hazards. This one is the exception.