8.2

1. Feb 7, 2014
    Being an awesome ride with emotion that really stands out, The LEGO Movie is a fast-paced, quick-witted adventure that's also so endearing it makes one's heart swell.
  2. Jul 17, 2014
    Quite literally the perfect family movie. There's something here for anyone of any age. Normally I wouldn't say something like this, but if you can't find something to enjoy about this movie then there is something wrong with you. It's hilarious, heartwarming, and original. Just like the best Pixar movies it brings enough humor and excitement to enchant youngsters, while at the same timeQuite literally the perfect family movie. There's something here for anyone of any age. Normally I wouldn't say something like this, but if you can't find something to enjoy about this movie then there is something wrong with you. It's hilarious, heartwarming, and original. Just like the best Pixar movies it brings enough humor and excitement to enchant youngsters, while at the same time providing enough intelligence and an excellent message to satisfy older audiences. In a lot of ways it's the new Toy Story. It's the perfect family movie and an absolute must watch. Expand
  3. Feb 9, 2014
    Thankfully, "The Lego Movie" is not just an absurdly entertaining, pop-culture-reference-filled romp of childhood nostalgia, it is also an impeccably well-written narrative with stunning animation and a brilliant respect for its audience.
  4. Feb 7, 2014
    This movie ROCKS!! It freakin ROCKS!!! The first movie of this new year to wow and completely amaze me in animation and even comedy. That's one of the biggest strengths of this movie, it's absolutely hilarious! I'm not Bull-Sh*ting you guys! It's really hilarious! Trust me! The story is surprisingly clever and the pop culture references sparkle. And it's filled with an outstanding voiceThis movie ROCKS!! It freakin ROCKS!!! The first movie of this new year to wow and completely amaze me in animation and even comedy. That's one of the biggest strengths of this movie, it's absolutely hilarious! I'm not Bull-Sh*ting you guys! It's really hilarious! Trust me! The story is surprisingly clever and the pop culture references sparkle. And it's filled with an outstanding voice cast lead by Chris Pratt, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Will Ferrell, etc. I can go on and on, but let me cut to the chase. If you're a fan of lego's, YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LAUGH YOUR BUTTS OFF AND LOVE THIS FRICKIN MOVIE. nuff said. This obviously deserves an A+!!!!!!!! Expand
  5. Aug 16, 2014
    Really good animation,good and popular voice actors and a good story the movie have everything we expected and more from a movie like this.I highly recommend it.
  6. Nov 10, 2014
    With witty dialogue and unique stop motion visual effects, The LEGO Movie is a surprisingly smart and thought-provoking movie for not only children but adults too. Everything is awesome in this movie.
  7. Jul 28, 2014
    Attention: This is not a kids movie!
    Attention: This is not a kids movie!
    It does not matter if it is animation, "The LEGO Movie" succeeds in connecting with every member of the audience, regardless of age or origins. Through a really simple story, it manages to make some very strong points on many issues, from political propaganda to prosperity in life. Its allegories are more or less intelligent. "Awesome" action and fun won't disappoint children, but its unexpectedly deep meaning won't leave elders unsatisfied, too. There are flaws, especially some really uninspired comedy scenes, but it is a must-see, even if you feel too old for animation and LEGO.
  8. Jan 8, 2015
    Wow. This was way better than I was expecting. The animation was stunning, the whole thing, from the screenplay to the action, was full of invention and creativity, and it's actually pretty profound and original to boot. I loved the characters. They're funny, very well voiced, and overall, endearing. There's never a dull moment either. The beautifully animated action is often bothWow. This was way better than I was expecting. The animation was stunning, the whole thing, from the screenplay to the action, was full of invention and creativity, and it's actually pretty profound and original to boot. I loved the characters. They're funny, very well voiced, and overall, endearing. There's never a dull moment either. The beautifully animated action is often both witty and exciting at the same time. The ending, believe it or not, is extremely meta. It's actually as deep a meditation on the human imagination, alternate realities, and separate universes as anything you can find in The Matrix, Inception, or Interstellar. It's actually quite ambiguous too. There are quite a few possible explanations for what was actually happening, and I'm sure you'll have them bounding around through your head once you see it. This is as good as animated movies get and one of the best films of 2014 from any genre. Expand
  9. Apr 25, 2014
  10. Nov 23, 2014
    The LEGO Movie es una película que contiene una buena incorporación de elementos al azar que cuando se mezclan, el resultado es una buena película de animación.
  11. Feb 23, 2014
    This is the first movie of 2014 I've seen but I can already tell it'll be my favorite, even outside "kids'" movies. I can think of nothing about this movie that wasn't done absolutely perfect. It's got at least a laugh a minute with a very smart self-aware sense of humor. The characters are all likable & fun to watch, even the villains. Every voice actor does a fantastic job, which youThis is the first movie of 2014 I've seen but I can already tell it'll be my favorite, even outside "kids'" movies. I can think of nothing about this movie that wasn't done absolutely perfect. It's got at least a laugh a minute with a very smart self-aware sense of humor. The characters are all likable & fun to watch, even the villains. Every voice actor does a fantastic job, which you wouldn't think with a cast so dominated by big names that'd make you think this would be a lame cash grab. And the twist at the end is nothing short of jaw-dropping, not just because of the twist itself (which those perceptive enough might see coming) but also because of what the plot does with that twist. Even if you're usually not a fan of kids' movies, this is a must-watch.

(For my full review, look up "Spin It Reviews" on YouTube. I'd appreciate it. And don't worry, no spoilers.)
  12. Feb 25, 2014
    From Bruce Wayne to Bronnies this movie has enough cultural gags to keep an angry mob smiling and laughing with joy. Fits that great balance of being entertaining to kids yet has enough familiar voices to keep their parents enthralled. All this and does it with class that is completely family friendly.
  13. Feb 20, 2014
    I would consider it offensive if this was labelled simply as a '100 minute commercial'. It may be made involving a corporate franchise, but it is there to teach, not to sell.

The LEGO Movie uniquely combines smart sharp satire towards examples like pop culture and consumerism, a charming voice cast voicing a whole array of interesting characters (if you look close enough, some of the characters parody the usual stock characters) and a morality tale. It not only subverts tropes, but also subverts expectations right until the end. It's difficult to see a film just once, especially when it contains so much humour and wit when mocking things left right and centre.

Everything I feel about this film is exciting. Animation can show itself to stand out in throwing out a non generic message involving politics, business and culture. The villain himself shows the audacity as a president to not only demonstrate his nefariousness, but impose his own ideologies with no room for creativity. Not only that, but the LEGO Movie also plays on the cliches of many outrageous tropes - how does it work out when a simple, ordinary construction worker is suddenly announced as the centre of the prophecy as 'the Special'? What happens when he encounters someone considered to be the 'manic pixie dream girl'? The split personality of the Good Cop Bad Cop is refreshing when it comes to two distinctively defined cops interrogating someone, and the gleeful decision made about Green Lantern after his film ultimately failed is dark but amusing.

However, when it comes to happy endings, even that doesn't remain the same. Even for the villain himself. It doesn't spit out the usual kind of messages - whether on the scale of the morality tale or the satire surrounding politics and the like.
  14. Feb 8, 2014
    "The Lego Movie" is one of the most frantic movies I have ever seen, but also one of the most creative and funny. It is filled with charm, intelligent humor, and more importantly heart.

The writing is incredibly strong. There are a lot if play on words and unpredictable moments that really surprise the viewers. I love the themes about conformity and being special. It’s quit unique as it says that anyone can be special regardless of their creativity or need to be different.

The characters Vitruvious, Lucy, Batman, and Lord Business are all great. Their voice actors do a great job and they deliver their jokes perfectly. Emmet is the main character and probably the best because he is so relatable and a very atypical hero. There isn’t anything really special about him, but he’s a great every man and Chris Pratt brings the right amount of humanity and charm to the role.

The animation is beautiful and incredibly creative. There are a lot of great sight gags and visual effects. I really lije the stop motion look the movie achieves even though the first few minutes are jarring.

Overall, “Everything is Awesome” and this a beautifully crafted and intelligently written film that packs the right amount of humor and heart. The animation is great and incredibly creative. I really like this film and I highly recommend it. I give is 4.5/5
  15. Feb 17, 2014
    Everything IS awesome! The cheesy pop song that is the butt of numerous jokes in “The Lego Movie” also sums up the film perfectly. The animation is some of the most amazing melding of 3D and stop-motion I’ve ever seen, the voice acting is incredible and felt tailor made for the film, the film has the perfect blend of the funny stuff and the touching, heartwarming stuff and the story is aEverything IS awesome! The cheesy pop song that is the butt of numerous jokes in “The Lego Movie” also sums up the film perfectly. The animation is some of the most amazing melding of 3D and stop-motion I’ve ever seen, the voice acting is incredible and felt tailor made for the film, the film has the perfect blend of the funny stuff and the touching, heartwarming stuff and the story is a bright and shining example of true, unique creativity…plus, it’s all about the greatest toys ever created. So, it has that going for it as well. Expand
  16. Aug 19, 2014
    If I have to give a three-word review for this movie, it’s EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

The LEGO Movie is probably one of the best movies of 2014 as well THE BEST animated movie of 2014 so far. It’s like a roller coaster that only goes up. (Thumbs up to you if you get this reference ;) The animation of this movie is perfect. The combination of CGI and stop-motion was very well done in

The animation of this movie is perfect. The combination of CGI and stop-motion was very well done in execution even in the smallest detail. This is one of those few movies you should watch in 3D. It’s worth having a headache to have LEGO bricks thrown at you from the screen.

Another great thing about this movie is the humor. It’s something the adults will laugh over without being too childish that the kids will only laugh at. And I love the meta-humor in this movie too. That’s the best part of the humor of the movie.

The plot and the script was very clever and smartly-written for a kids movie and it does not isolate the adults who are watching the movie. The character development was also great and I relate to Emmet very much. It’s not just understanding him but relating to him so much.

This movie had a huge A-list voice cast and they did a excellent job voicing the characters. The actors I am impressed who voiced their roles the most were Will Arnet as Batman, Nick Offerman as Metal Beard and Liam Nesson as Bad Cop/Good Cop. Look up at their B-rolls on YouTube including the actors I didn’t mention because wow, the voice acting is so brilliant. You will also be amazed by the cameos of this movie if you can recognize the voice actors who voiced their cameo roles.

The themes this movie wanted to delivered is heartwarming that adults and kids can get the message from this movie right away without being too campy.

Overall, I see nothing wrong with this movie. I want to watch it again. I love it and everything is awesome!
  17. Mar 8, 2014
    This movie is definetly my favorite movie of 2014 as its hilariously genius and just made me jaw hurt from great jokes, master plots, and more. SPACESHIP!
  18. Feb 16, 2014
    I have always loved LEGO, and I was looking forwards to seeing it no matter how bad it was. I even had a huge grin on my face all throughout the movie. It was funny, awesome, and had everything made with LEGO, even the animated explosions. It showed you can build anything with LEGO. Plus the ending warmed my heart like anything else. Easily the best movie of 2014, so far.
  19. Jan 6, 2015
    Awesomeness incarnate. Very well done movie, from the plot and direction to the visualization of it all. Talk about bringing Lego to life! 10/10 would watch again. Already have watched again, actually.
  20. Nov 27, 2014
    The LEGO Movie is without a doubt a fun time and one of the biggest surprises of the years. The self aware humor made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions. The cast is very great and we get amazing and fun new characters. But the movie turns from a fun movie to a great movie within the final thirty minutes. Please stay until the end of the movie where it turns into something more than aThe LEGO Movie is without a doubt a fun time and one of the biggest surprises of the years. The self aware humor made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions. The cast is very great and we get amazing and fun new characters. But the movie turns from a fun movie to a great movie within the final thirty minutes. Please stay until the end of the movie where it turns into something more than a children's animation. Expand
  21. May 23, 2014
    The LEGO Movie is not only one of the greatest animated movies ever made, but it is one of the most original movies ever made. It is heart warming, action packed 100 minutes of epicnessss!!! If you are looking for an animated movie with endless creativity, colors and even character development, The LEGO Movie is the one, also it is my favorite movie of the year!!!! A must see!!!!
  22. Apr 28, 2015
    I am so surprised this movie didn't get nominated for best animated feature film, because it should've. The colorful animation and great voice acting should've won this movie that award for sure. 9/10 (Awesome)
  23. Jul 7, 2014
    When i first heard of this movie, i thought it was no more than an excuse to make money from a famous brand. I couldn't be more wrong.

The animation is super cool, the script and dialogue are amazingly funny and clever (i often laughed to the point of tears), and the voice acting did the script justice, particularly that of Will Arnett (as Batman), Nick Offerman (as Metal Beard), and Morgan Freeman (as Vitruvius). Even the theme song is great; it really sticks in one's head and makes you feel like you wanna sing along.

Not only is it hilarious, it actually has something to say and can be quite moving in some parts. This is a joyful film about believing in yourself, a critique of modern society, and a heartwarming tribute to human creativity.

It will definitely go down as one of the best movies this ear, if not the best.
  24. Jun 26, 2014
    I had zero ambition to watch this movie but my nephew wanted the family to watch it with him bad enough that we just went ahead and put it on. The Lego Movie turned out to be surprisingly funny and charming, with a voice acting cast that features some great names to help bring Lego toys to life (not dissimilar to Toy Story). What I didn't see coming was the ending. Without spoiling itI had zero ambition to watch this movie but my nephew wanted the family to watch it with him bad enough that we just went ahead and put it on. The Lego Movie turned out to be surprisingly funny and charming, with a voice acting cast that features some great names to help bring Lego toys to life (not dissimilar to Toy Story). What I didn't see coming was the ending. Without spoiling it all I'll just saw that it's heart warming but also carries an incredible message that sits well in todays society of busy bodies and distant families. Typically I don't enjoy many animated movies outside of the Pixar universe yet The Lego Movie managed to be one of the best movies I've seen in the last year. Kids will love it, but adults that can appreciate light-hearted humor (and the occasional more mature joke that geos over the heads of children) will love this movie just as much. Expand
  25. Nov 2, 2014
    The LEGO Movie delivers in every facet exceeding all expectations with innovative animation, a fantastically diverse concept, an amazing script and the star-studded cast to voice it. With lighthearted comedy and underlying themes woven together this film appeals to all generations. A truly intelligent animated masterpiece that shows not only Pixar can create such lifelike worlds. Just likeThe LEGO Movie delivers in every facet exceeding all expectations with innovative animation, a fantastically diverse concept, an amazing script and the star-studded cast to voice it. With lighthearted comedy and underlying themes woven together this film appeals to all generations. A truly intelligent animated masterpiece that shows not only Pixar can create such lifelike worlds. Just like the addictive theme song of the movie suggests everything is awesome. Expand
  26. Mar 9, 2014
    Wow! I did not expect The Lego Movie to be so good, but it was hilarious, and everything is, as the song says, awesome, Liam Nesson was great, Morgan Freeman was great, and Will Arnett was perfect as Batman, also Will Ferell was a great bad guy, and the ending is just genius.
  27. Feb 21, 2014
    Being a monstrous Lego fan/builder as a child, when I heard this movie was announced and I heard that the brilliant Chris Miller and Phil Lord were directing it, I was so pumped up. After seeing the movie get critical acclaim, I had ultra high expectations before watching it. I was not disappointed at all. This movie was great from the acting, to the gorgeous settings. The story was veryBeing a monstrous Lego fan/builder as a child, when I heard this movie was announced and I heard that the brilliant Chris Miller and Phil Lord were directing it, I was so pumped up. After seeing the movie get critical acclaim, I had ultra high expectations before watching it. I was not disappointed at all. This movie was great from the acting, to the gorgeous settings. The story was very touching at points and teaches both kids and adults many life lessons. However, timing was a bit of an issue, as the movie did not spend enough time on certain events and spent too much time on some. Other than that, I liked this movie a lot and this film really made me want to take my old legos and be a kid again. Expand
  28. Feb 8, 2014
    When it comes to my reviews, know that I never lie. So listen up when I tell you, The LEGO Movie is the most powerful animated movie to be released since Up. Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (21 Jump Street, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) masterfully put together an animated action-comedy that entertains grade-schoolers, adolescents, and parents equally. Think Wreck-It Ralph, but withWhen it comes to my reviews, know that I never lie. So listen up when I tell you, The LEGO Movie is the most powerful animated movie to be released since Up. Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (21 Jump Street, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) masterfully put together an animated action-comedy that entertains grade-schoolers, adolescents, and parents equally. Think Wreck-It Ralph, but with more biting comedy, more evocative animation, a more powerful social message, and much stronger nostalgia.
    The animators behind The LEGO Movie were able to develop a look that was absolutely perfect for the theme of the film. By using CG to emulate a technically advanced version of stop-motion, the animators capture the processes that went through our minds as children playing with elaborate Lego sets – it never played out smoothly in our minds, because Lego bricks inherently are not smooth. Their dedication to a world built entirely out of Lego bricks resulted in inventive images, such as small (but not so small) transparent blue bricks representing large drops of water. This style of animation instantly makes the movie a marvel to watch; it is gorgeous without having to be flashily realistic.
    The voice actors in The LEGO Movie could not have been casted better. Unlike other animated movies in recent memory (Epic, Turbo), The LEGO Movie’s star-studded cast achieves its fullest potential, imbuing every character with a bursting, unique personality. Lord and Miller should also be lauded for their cleverly devised and written characters. Popular names such as Batman, Gandalf, Chewbacca, and Shaquille O’Neal (voiced by himself) mingle with familiar and ubiquitous pieces such as construction workers, ambiguous astronauts, and cops with double-sided faces, but each one boasts an equally strong spirit. Here, Lord and Miller channel memories of when we were younger and would mix people from different sets to create a truly unique adventure.
    What’s clever about their screenplay is that, unlike Wreck-It Ralph or even the Toy Story series, Lord and Miller contain the entirety of the story in the imagination of the youthful mind. The plot, the settings, and the action scenes are all written as professionally executed manifestations of the workings of a child at play. Even the profound themes on liberation of the mind and freedom of creative expression all originate in the imagination of the central character, something revealed near the end of the movie but known by a smart viewer all the way through. Lord and Miller’s ability to hone this childlike state of thought without coming across as naïve or immature deserves serious laud. Additionally, it’s refreshing to watch a movie that actually made me laugh from the belly every time it made a joke.
    There’s not much more I can tell you about this movie to convince you that The LEGO Movie is genuinely an amazing animated, family-friendly (and I mean the whole family) action-comedy. I mean, it’s already hard enough to imagine a mediocre movie set in an entirely Lego world – believe me, I tried. The only thing I can say is, if you were planning to use this weekend to catch up on Oscar-nominated movies, rip those tickets up and go watch The LEGO Movie instead.

FINAL SCORE: 92.5 (almost perfect -----o--------------- perfect)
  29. Apr 26, 2014
    I just saw The LEGO Movie last night and I have to say that I absolutely loved it! This is a very creative and very fun movie with a witty story and really good humor. I liked the animation style in this where everything was Lego including not just structures but like water and fire and things like that which was so creative and I also love how the animation is shown to look like it's stopI just saw The LEGO Movie last night and I have to say that I absolutely loved it! This is a very creative and very fun movie with a witty story and really good humor. I liked the animation style in this where everything was Lego including not just structures but like water and fire and things like that which was so creative and I also love how the animation is shown to look like it's stop motion which was very creative and I actually prefer how the animations shows those limitations with how Lego Mini Figures move over how they smoothly move in like a cut-scene of a Traveler's Tales Lego game. I also love the characters in this movie and the cameos they make, it was so fun seeing different Lego properties come together in this movie. The plot does have some simplicity to it, but it's still a fun plot and is actually not to be taken that seriously, but in a good way. Overall, I loved The Lego Movie. I remember seeing trailers and stuff for this movie back in late 2013 and at most expecting this film to be just good like nothing special but nothing too bad, but I barely expected to fall in love with this film. This film's amazing, as of now I think this might be my favorite film of 2014 so far. Go see this movie, this film is excellent, it has some big laughs and it's a whole lot of fun and I think anyone can enjoy this film whether they are a kid or even an adult! Expand
  30. Feb 26, 2014
    Thus far this is tied with Her as my favourites for 2014. There is a lot to like about this movie especially having seen it in 3D which enhances just how entertaining this is. A obvious comment - this is Lego brought to life!

I loved how well thought through this movie was. Whilst it references popular culture both through characters of other stories but also Internet memes such as Batman's capacity to achieve anything. It has aptly timed humour that was refreshingly unexpected. But most of all I really enjoyed how to the story unfolded with the presence of real world items; the end result being an acknowledgement of the creativity found in a child's mind and how adults can inhibit this. Brilliant.

On that note I really appreciated the deeper meaning in this film and how well rounded the message is: creativity shouldn't be limited to those who think freely and originally. Anyone is capable of creativity whether it be complete new, a slight different, or a revised of something already present. But beyond that independant creativity thought should be applauded communal creative thought should be too. As well as creative thought derived from instructions.

Toy Story 3 was the last animation film I saw which was explored childhood and what it meanings, including growing up. It was a masterpiece which hasn't been topped. Lego Movie is not as good and is different but what it does share is an equally relevant showcase of experiences children have.

I trust you, like me, walked away from this movie wanting to play with Lego, play Mindcraft or do something creative. Wonderful!
  31. Apr 30, 2014
    This Movie Is Soooooo Entertaining. All the People in the film were so Funny. Will Ferrell had a good voice as president Business. This movie had a funny script, Great Comedy Actors, And an good plot. Good Job, Phil Lord and Chris Miller!!
  32. Feb 16, 2014
    If you are a kid, this movie contains a valuable lesson you must learn. If you are an adult who played with lego as a kid you will also enjoy yourself with this film. At the start it hints that it is going to be too children's cartoon for you to enjoy. But then it quickly develops in to something both adults and kids can take pleasure from.
    The concepts are kept simple enough for children
    The concepts are kept simple enough for children to follow. But simple isn't bad. And there are more than enough in-jokes to keep adults laughing out loud for quite a while.

Will Farrell plays his part terrifically. Much like Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Conan films, he finds just the right balance to make it work. Its serious enough to be believable but relaxed enough it doesn't feel out of place. And considering he has actual face time in a movie 95% CG plastic lego men, it would be so easy to break consistency there.

I have two criticisms of the film. Firstly I though there should be more "Middle Zealand."
    Also as I write this I have the "everything is awesome" song stuck in my head. When you hear it you'll understand.
  33. Jul 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What we’ve got here is a fantastic film, which could genuinely be enjoyed by anyone. That might be an obvious thing to say, but The Lego Movie might be the closest we’ve come to the elusive story which explores realistic, down to earth problems while being completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots. And there are plenty of robots.

Ironically, for a film based on a lucrative product owned by a giant corporation, The Lego Movie appears to bite the hand that feeds it and actually deconstructs (here come the puns) the corporate world. Who cares if the film will probably make a killing in tie-in Lego sets and video games? At least they decided to tell a compelling and engaging story instead of just palming us off with a heartless cash-in or an overblown explosion-fest.

Similarly, it feels like it’s far too easy these days for film makers to knock out a bunch of cheap CGI movies every year, at the expense of the increasingly neglected but labour intensive art of stop-motion. It’s understandable why this route has been taken, and there are a few gems in the cascade, but outside of Pixar, CGI films are not something I routinely seek out.

Apparently 90% of The Lego Movie was CGI, and a little bit of stop motion, but apart from the facial expressions and fluid movements which would seriously push the limitations of a plastic Lego man, you could easily have convinced me that it was the other way around. Everything looks like it’s made from Lego, even the oceans and the explosions.

It’s both sobering to have reached a point where the two become almost indistinguishable and satisfying to see CGI being used to make a great film which works as both a satire of modern consumerism and an exploration of that age-old Lego dilemma: should one build according to the instructions, or just smash everything into a big pile and build whatever.

Our main man is Emmett (Chris Pratt), your generic Lego man, right down to his classic Lego smiley face. He’s a construction worker living in a huge Lego city, who has very few ideas of his own. He follows his instructions, smiles and waves to everyone he meets, pays through the nose for coffee on the way to work and does whatever the vaguely Orwellian government says is the right thing to do.

In a typical narrative fashion, events kick off after a chance encounter with funky punk girl Wildstyle (Elizabeth Banks) who is a member of the resistance. Emmett is dragged along for the ride and passes through the masquerade, leaving the regulated order of the big city and discovering the crazy and colourful potential of Lego in the world of the master builders, exiled lords of creative construction who believe Emmett to be the chosen one to bring balance to the force and end the days of instruction-based oppression. The trouble is he’s never had an original thought in his life.

The film is rounded out with a great cast of characters and some cracking cameos, both showcasing some solid vocal talent. The enemy and instigator of the repressive order is a suitably zany Will Ferrell hamming it up as the Lego universe’s ‘President Business’ who is assisted by the conflicted split-personality of his chief enforcer Good Cop/Bad Cop. voiced by Liam Neeson at his Irish tough guy best.

With a wry nod to his frequent typecasting, Morgan Freeman plays a wise old sage and among the cameos are Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum (from directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller’s other movie of the moment, 22 Jump Street).

The film really embodies the spirit of Lego, and as such is a huge nostalgia trip for anyone who’s ever encountered the stuff. Once they leave the city, the characters traverse the length and breadth of the Lego-verse, making their way through the many themes Lego has released over the years, providing settings as diverse as western, medieval and pirate.

There are some tender and serious moments, but most of it is a merciless but affectionate parody of whatever transpires, be it city life, epic destiny, overblown villainy or blockbuster action. Everything’s funny and a little wacky, riding easily and successfully on the inherent humour that comes with having everything made out of Lego.

There are even nods to unpopular, ill-conceived, or just plain random Lego themes, and references small and large to various other franchise tie-ins (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Superheroes, etc.) showcasing the kind of mad-cap crossovers you can cook up when you have the licence. By this token, Batman himself (Will Arnett) along with a character from the classic 1980s Space theme (Charlie Day) are major players in the plot.

The ending, which I won’t spoil, does get a little schmaltzy, but it’s forgivable. Otherwise, nothing disappoints, and everything one might want or expect from a Lego movie is delivered in spades. Oh yes, and I managed to get through an entire review of this film without using the word ‘awesome’. Dang. Good soundtrack, though.
  34. Apr 20, 2014
    Awesome movie. It's funny and has a great story. I thoroughly loved it. This movie is definitely for everyone. All the characters work well together and it's just a fantastic film overall.
  35. Jul 21, 2014
    Despite the fact that it's characters and storyline are carefully derived from Pixar classics (not necessarily a bad thing), Lego is an extremely entertaining film with an infectiously playful attitude suitable for all ages (especially adults).
  36. Feb 21, 2014
    Fantastic fun, funny family movie. I would be suprised if we get a better animated movie this year, It was really funny for any age, and had a lot of heart. I would recommend this movie to anyone, and I realize it's still very early but the best movie period of 2014 so far. When I first heard about a Lego movie I thought it was a ridiculous idea that didn't really make sense to me...butFantastic fun, funny family movie. I would be suprised if we get a better animated movie this year, It was really funny for any age, and had a lot of heart. I would recommend this movie to anyone, and I realize it's still very early but the best movie period of 2014 so far. When I first heard about a Lego movie I thought it was a ridiculous idea that didn't really make sense to me...but they have certainly proven it was a great idea. Expand
  37. Dec 20, 2014
    Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship!.

Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship!.

Since the positive reviews The LEGO Movie has been getting, I watched it with a very high expectancy but still, it was way much better than I expected.One of the most brilliant, hilarious and creative animated films ever. Dan Lin and Roy Lee's super-smart, imaginative screenplay turned into the most entertaining yet critically successful film of the year in the hands of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.Amazing voice-over performances especially by Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson.I haven't laughed and had fun like this for a while, Everything was Awesome!
  38. Feb 9, 2014
    EVERYTHING IS AWESOME-yeah everything about in this film is really MIND BLOWING awesome moments ! ITS FULL OF FUN N LAUGH- NO MINUTE FOR LAGGING, EACH N EVERY SCENE OF THE FILM ENTERTAIN US! SUPERB VOICE CASTING LEAD BY ,Chris Pratt,Will Ferrell,Elizabeth Banks,Will Arnett, Liam Neeson N Morgan Freeman.! EXCELLENT BGM WORKS -I LOVE IT
    DON'T MISS THIS FUN CRAZY,ROMANTIC,ACTION,ANIMATION
    DON'T MISS THIS FUN CRAZY,ROMANTIC,ACTION,ANIMATION FILM !!!!!!!!!!!!
  39. Mar 3, 2014
    How can you not give this film universal acclaim when it is able to get laughs, emotional connections, in a well-written story for all ages? The casting is massive and yet everyone works together at an even level. This is a highly enjoyable film from beginning to end, and recommended for anyone in 2014
  40. Mar 7, 2014
    This movie was very entertaining. I was looking forward to this movie, but I did not expect it to be this good. I was laughing throughout the entire film and did not find a single moment dull.
  41. Feb 24, 2014
    This movie was super cute and super funny. Entertaining for adults and children alike. Any adult that had a fondness for Legos as a kid would love this. Writing is very witty and funny, laughs the whole time. So many clever things they thought to incorporate. The only criticism I have is that while the twist at the end was a fun surprise, it made it seem a little anticlimactic.
  42. Feb 22, 2014
    The LEGO Movie es proyecto muy original e imaginativo. Me sorprendió cuando fui al cine para verla, pagar la entrada valió la pena, fue espectacular, uno de esos proyectos que son capaces de ser premiados para la mejor película animada (del año que viene). Lo mejor de The LEGO Movie de lejos son sus personajes creados con figuras de LEGO reales en Stop Motion pero de alguna manera logranThe LEGO Movie es proyecto muy original e imaginativo. Me sorprendió cuando fui al cine para verla, pagar la entrada valió la pena, fue espectacular, uno de esos proyectos que son capaces de ser premiados para la mejor película animada (del año que viene). Lo mejor de The LEGO Movie de lejos son sus personajes creados con figuras de LEGO reales en Stop Motion pero de alguna manera logran cobrar vida a lo largo de la película, tiene un humor sano, inocente y divertido, y como alago final: NO CAE EN LO RIDÍCULO, ya que muchas películas animadas de hoy en día son patéticas. Pero vale la pena hacer una observación de ésta ya que es un proyecto divertido que disfrutaran personas de todas las edades. Expand
  43. Feb 9, 2014
    One of the funniest most thought provoking animated movies ever. It takes full advantage of everything Lego and introduces some lovable new characters like Unikitty while also putting a cool spin on classics like Batman. The only thing I didn't like was how much of what happens in the end seems to drag on for awhile and I didn't care for the "twist" they threw in but that's hardly enoughOne of the funniest most thought provoking animated movies ever. It takes full advantage of everything Lego and introduces some lovable new characters like Unikitty while also putting a cool spin on classics like Batman. The only thing I didn't like was how much of what happens in the end seems to drag on for awhile and I didn't care for the "twist" they threw in but that's hardly enough to hate the movie for. Expand
  44. Feb 8, 2014
    The movie was very enjoyable not just for kids but for all ages. It was sweet and has a great message. The movie was so hilarious I couldn't stop laughing. The story was original and refreshing, the characters are well developed and relatable. A definite must see movie of the year so far!
  45. Feb 9, 2014
    This movie is great,, the animation is amazing, the story is fantastic, and it surprises you a lot, and the movie is full of intelligent jokes I think this movie will be a greatest movies of 2014.
  46. Jun 23, 2014
    The bright colors and action will make kids happy. However this works just as well for adults with a smart storyline and clever jokes. It's pure genius
  47. Feb 20, 2014
    In terms of animated films that cater for young and old audiences this film is up there with Finding Nemo and Toy Story. It's imaginative, original and extremely funny. The story and characters are purposefully cliche which leads to a lot of parody of itself and other aspects of pop culture and visually it is a colourful creative joy. All of this is complimented by the fantastic cast ofIn terms of animated films that cater for young and old audiences this film is up there with Finding Nemo and Toy Story. It's imaginative, original and extremely funny. The story and characters are purposefully cliche which leads to a lot of parody of itself and other aspects of pop culture and visually it is a colourful creative joy. All of this is complimented by the fantastic cast of voice actors (Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Will Ferrell) that bring a suprising life to the characters themselves. If you want an idea of the humour then it's either a child friendly version of Family Guy or a mature version of Spongebob. Somewhere in between those two. Either way its inclusive and entertaining.
    The only way someone could not enjoy this film to some degree is if they were consciously trying to dislike it and even then it would be a challenge. Also the soundtrack will likely be stuck in your head for at least two weeks afterwards.
  48. Feb 10, 2014
    I got to say that there is a couple of great directors. They advanced the world of stop motion in directing. This movie entered almost perfectly to the world of the stop-motion with the entire Lego world at the first try! The screenplay had small mistakes, but the jokes were awesome.
  49. Feb 11, 2014
    I went into this movie thinking it would be a stupid, generic kids movie with corny humor. What I got was SO much more. I can't even express to you just how ashamed I was at my pessimism before going into that movie. When I came out of that theater, I had laughed, I had cried, and I even had a few contemplative moments where I sat there to digest what I saw.
    To top everything off, this
    To top everything off, this was definitely a theater movie because of all the extreme action sequences.

100% worth the money to go, take anybody with you, I promise you won't be disappointed.
  50. Jul 19, 2014
    Una película que no te cansa, con muy buen ritmo, la animación es hermosa, es la mejor cosa hecha con legos que he visto, aunque ya acercandose al final comienza a colocarse un poco rara.
  51. Aug 6, 2014
    I wasn't expecting much. Just a family friendly movie to watch with my parents when we had nothing else to watch. Instead, I got one of the funniest movies i've seen in quite a while. References are in no short supply, and much to my surprise, are not just from kids shows. but more from age old shows and movies that not many kids will have seen. Star Wars, LoTR, all the super hero shows ofI wasn't expecting much. Just a family friendly movie to watch with my parents when we had nothing else to watch. Instead, I got one of the funniest movies i've seen in quite a while. References are in no short supply, and much to my surprise, are not just from kids shows. but more from age old shows and movies that not many kids will have seen. Star Wars, LoTR, all the super hero shows of the '70s. All done brilliantly, with amazing voice acting, Animation can be stiff at times, but really, your dealing with legos. C'mon. Anyway, I really didn't think that i'd enjoy it this much, and really, with most movies now a days being total **** this one is one of the better movies i've seen in a while. "Everything is awesome!" Expand
  52. Feb 8, 2014
    Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship!Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Expand
  53. Feb 17, 2014
    Amazing Animation, A Steady Plot, Wonderful Characters, Pleasant Humor, Is What Makes The Lego Movie My Favourite Film Tied With The Avengers Well Done Warner Brothers And Phil Lord And Chris Miller.
  54. Apr 20, 2014
    Another prime example of how "kid's movie" need not mean "bland". Incredibly imaginative, superbly funny, and epic in scale, this movie will make you want to be eight years old again just so you can have an excuse to watch this movie over and over again
  55. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the most recent animated feature I watch in a movie theatre and it is also one of the most creative film that I have ever watched. There is only one word to describe its plot, technique and art direction — phenomenal! Really, I am not kidding. Everything really is, awesome. They got me awestruck with all the pretty waters, fires, clouds and rainbows; a vibrant world constructed entirely with Legos and filled with interesting Lego Minifigures!

In addition to its lovely and immensely detailed world, The Lego Movie (2014) is quite entertaining to watch as there are plenty of hilarious gags, Lego humor and frank characters that always say what's on their mind without holding back. Strange but I am also enthralled with the way they portray totalitarian in Bricksburg, where instruction manuals are its people's bible which is both funny and sad at times. Nevertheless, watching it also induces nostalgia; the film reminds me of my early childhood where I used to have my own box of Legos. Maybe that's the reason why I was smiling and brimming with joy when I watch it. In short, the film spew nothing but awesomeness because it is that "one movie that has something for everyone".
  56. Feb 7, 2014
    Undeniably one of the best animations of 2014 yet, The Lego Movie uses numerous plot twists, pop culture references, satirical jokes, and charming characters, it is the movie that can be tied with PIxar's Toy Story. Every kid who plays Lego toys will surely enjoy this entertainment full length CGi movie, and it can also delight adults and older teenagers.

It's box office performance

It's box office performance will surely rose higher than Toy Story and can become a mega hit blockbuster because The Lego Movie is a funny comic relief like Disney's Frozen intended to become.
  57. Jul 26, 2014
    I loved, loved, loved this! It made me feel giddy with pleasure from beginning to end. Mindfryingly cool animation, phenomenal pacing and hilarious jokes boost it to somewhere near the top of my respective lists of favorite family films and best animated comedies of all time. I'm sure it will only be even more awesome upon (probably numerous) rewatches. Because: "Everything is ..." NO,I loved, loved, loved this! It made me feel giddy with pleasure from beginning to end. Mindfryingly cool animation, phenomenal pacing and hilarious jokes boost it to somewhere near the top of my respective lists of favorite family films and best animated comedies of all time. I'm sure it will only be even more awesome upon (probably numerous) rewatches. Because: "Everything is ..." NO, I've GOT to stop that. Expand
  58. Jun 1, 2014
    i have only one word to say about this film: AWESOME!!
    awesome story, awesome jokes, awesome actors, and awesome visuals and animation, this film is easily one of the year's best. trust me, once you're done watching this film, all you'll say is: "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!"
  59. Feb 7, 2014
    Everything about this film seems to be flawless. The animation was astoundingly brilliant, the pop culture humor worked expertly well, the story was clever and heart warming, and the entire film was hilarious from its beginning to end with lovable characters all around. The Lego Movie is the perfect film for children and adults of all ages.
  60. Feb 9, 2014
    It is a rare event that I give a film a 10/10 rating but if there was ever a film that was more deserving in recent memory, I can't think of one. It is by far the best animated film I have ever seen and that includes ANY Pixar film. This is the first film I have seen in years in which the entire audience stood up and applauded when the credits rolled. The level of detail is absolutelyIt is a rare event that I give a film a 10/10 rating but if there was ever a film that was more deserving in recent memory, I can't think of one. It is by far the best animated film I have ever seen and that includes ANY Pixar film. This is the first film I have seen in years in which the entire audience stood up and applauded when the credits rolled. The level of detail is absolutely phenomenal, right down to the tiny scratches in the ABS plastic, and, my favorite, the visible finger prints on the minifigures themselves. I came out of this film realizing that though cleverly marketed as a kid's film, this is a nostalgia film for X and Y Geners (is that a word? don't care, going with it...) and the tell was with 1980s spaceman. Anyone whoever had this minifigure (or a similar one with the space helmet) knew that within a month's time of taking that helmet off repeatedly the bottom of the helmet near the chin would split because it was so thin. This film immediate takes our generation back to a time when we were seven years-old. From the beginning, the story seems like nothing more than a rehash of Kung Fu Panda or The Matrix with the role of Po/Neo taken on by our very ordinary hero, Emmet. As the film progresses, it takes on the tone and plot of a million of other action film cliches but the visually stunning frenetic action combines with multiple clever pop-culture references allows you to forgive what seems like a generic story and just simply enjoy the awesome adventure that you and your kids are on. And make no mistake, this film was designed to be seen by families which just makes the experience that much more enjoyable. So am I saying that the overall experience of the film makes up for the weak story? Nope. In the last 20 minutes of the film there are live-action sequences that tie the whole story together and turn what was a generic and almost mediocre plot into one of the most brilliant pieces of story-telling I have ever seen in a family film. It was so cleverly done that I literally slapped myself in the forehead for being tricked like I was because the film drops not-so-subtle clues as to the big twist throughout the whole film. My only regret is that I didn't see it in 3D as this is one film that it is a moral imperative to see in 3D. Oh, well... I guess we'll just have to go see it again. Expand
  61. Feb 20, 2014
    The LEGO Movie has set the bar insanely high for 2014, and it has only just begun. This movie performs so well that it will most likely be in the top 10 best of 2014, let alone the best animated flick. I loved it instantly within the first 20 minutes. It is filled with jokes just for adults, but had the playfulness to keep children entertained. Very rarely does a movie come along thatThe LEGO Movie has set the bar insanely high for 2014, and it has only just begun. This movie performs so well that it will most likely be in the top 10 best of 2014, let alone the best animated flick. I loved it instantly within the first 20 minutes. It is filled with jokes just for adults, but had the playfulness to keep children entertained. Very rarely does a movie come along that blends those two so perfectly, let along an animated film. This movie also has most likely the best cast of 2014. It has Chris Pratt as the lovable lead and that he holds perfectly. His performance is supported by many fantastic actors, but the show is ultimately stolen by Will Arnett as Batman who becomes the audience favorite by far. The movie is also lathered in well hidden spectacular voice actor cameos that only certain fans will notice and understand. The movie is also stuffed with references to landscape and for fans that are Lego builders themselves. My favorite part about this movie is the animation style. It is done so superbly that it fooled almost everybody that saw the movie. The movie is CGI, but designed and looks like it was done in stop motion, it was so convincing, from the inside and out of the lego bricks, to the minor scratches on the characters face. The LEGO Movie doesn't just go down as one of my favorite movies of 2014, but as one of my top 3 favorite animated films of all-time. Expand
  62. Feb 8, 2014
    The LEGO Movie just literally brought my childhood to life
    Pros:
    -The Animation is one of the best I've seen so far
    -The characters are relatable
    -Batman is in it :D
    -The voice acting is great
    -The story is awesome
    -There's actual Character Development
    Cons
    -The Beginning is a disappointment
    -some of the jokes aren't funny
    Recommendation: Everyone
  63. Sep 2, 2014
    The LEGO Movie is a flat-out roller-coaster of laughs and fun for all. Frantically paced, filled with jokes, puns, and references to practically every Lego Theme ever made, featuring unique animation designed to look completely like a stop-go Lego film, it also manages to contain moving and relevant themes of inner strength, even if it doesn't match up in maturity to classics such as TheThe LEGO Movie is a flat-out roller-coaster of laughs and fun for all. Frantically paced, filled with jokes, puns, and references to practically every Lego Theme ever made, featuring unique animation designed to look completely like a stop-go Lego film, it also manages to contain moving and relevant themes of inner strength, even if it doesn't match up in maturity to classics such as The Lion King. A must-see for children and all fans of those little plastic bricks. Expand
  64. Sep 18, 2014
    In my opinion the sole purpose of movies is to be entertaining, so I judge TV shows and movies on that sole criteria. From start to finish the LEGO Movie was thoroughly original, funny and enjoyable in every way, and even more impressive it succeeded in not only being great fun to watch for me and my wife, but our teenaged daughter and pre-teen son as well. I don't see how any movie can doIn my opinion the sole purpose of movies is to be entertaining, so I judge TV shows and movies on that sole criteria. From start to finish the LEGO Movie was thoroughly original, funny and enjoyable in every way, and even more impressive it succeeded in not only being great fun to watch for me and my wife, but our teenaged daughter and pre-teen son as well. I don't see how any movie can do better than that, so I'm giving it 10 out of 10. Without a doubt, everything is awesome. Expand
  65. Feb 11, 2014
    For a film that essentially exists to further promote a successful product, The Lego Movie is a pleasantly surprising, wonderfully uplifting, and far more touching film than I could have ever anticipated.

The story follows several characters voiced by the likes of Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks and Morgan Freeman, as they journey through a vast world of Lego in order to stop Lord Business from ending the Lego Universe. And the world in which the story took place, was one that evoked so many fond memories.
    In fact, I'd be extremely surprised if anyone left the theatre without feeling like a 10 year old again.
    That's part of the beauty of the film. It puts you in a world where nothing, no matter how ridiculous or inconceivable is off limits.

While thinking about writing this, I was originally about to throw a 9 at this film, which is obviously still very good. But after some reflection, I can't think of why I would dock a point from the movie. There wasn't a single point in the film in which, I was upset or disappointed with any aspect. The film has a good flow to it, the characters are loveable, the humour is sensational and had me at times trying not to keel over in my seat. And as far as family oriented movies go, it's got what is by far one of the most heartwarming messages that I truly related to. It's just that good.

It was simply a joy to experience from start to finish, and if you think you're too old for Lego now - shut-up, get the car keys, and go to your local theatre and see it.

A 10 out of 10.

Jack Valentine
  66. Feb 14, 2014
    What a great first movie of the year! The Lego Movie offers a variety of entertainment of people of all ages. It is on par with Toy Story's story, characters, animation, and everything that had made those movies so great. It is a kid friendly movie, with some innuendos that only adults or teens would get. Everything was so pleasant from this movie and I left wishing I was watching a movieWhat a great first movie of the year! The Lego Movie offers a variety of entertainment of people of all ages. It is on par with Toy Story's story, characters, animation, and everything that had made those movies so great. It is a kid friendly movie, with some innuendos that only adults or teens would get. Everything was so pleasant from this movie and I left wishing I was watching a movie like this when I was a child. 10/10 MUST SEE Expand
  67. Nov 16, 2014
    Genuinely surprising - rather than having the movie to solely appeal to kids to sell Lego toys, the creators put genuine effort into crafting a delightful journey. THE LEGO MOVIE has gorgeous visuals, tons of rapid-fire jokes, and a story that is a delightful, gut-bustingly hilarious spoof of The Chosen One cliche (and other common tropes besides). Plus, there's a wonderful message aboutGenuinely surprising - rather than having the movie to solely appeal to kids to sell Lego toys, the creators put genuine effort into crafting a delightful journey. THE LEGO MOVIE has gorgeous visuals, tons of rapid-fire jokes, and a story that is a delightful, gut-bustingly hilarious spoof of The Chosen One cliche (and other common tropes besides). Plus, there's a wonderful message about the importance of creativity woven beautifully through the movie. 100% recommended. Expand
  68. Nov 8, 2014
    this movie is one of the best movies of the year the best part was bad cop he was like i will give you water thank you will to bad the 2nd might be bad cop
  69. Feb 20, 2014
    Probably the best animated/children's film I've ever seen. It was so funny and the stop frame animation was sooo cool!! Even the credits were awesome! Go see this film!
  70. May 30, 2014
    I have been waiting ever science i played with lego when i was 4 years old and now that it is here and....IT IS AWESOME (if you seen the movie you know what I mean) It has a good story a good cast and its cool
  71. Jan 9, 2015
    One of my most favorite kids movie, surprisingly more than my mom, and entertained me a lot because of the lego settings, and waas probally the best movie of 2014. Also the stop motion animation with legos was top notch, and was the quickest movie to get started 10/10.
  72. Mar 5, 2015
    This is the best animated movie since Toy Story 3. The jokes, the writing, the message, the production, basically every scene is awesome in this movie !
    Must watch movie !!!
  73. Feb 8, 2014
    Best animated movie I have ever seen, and I have seen a ton of them. Took my 6 year old son, he loved it - but I roared through the whole thing. Animation is amazing, but the story was so solid it really grabbed me. This is an absolute masterpiece.
  74. Feb 9, 2014
    An instant classic. Smart, Witty and one GIANT nostalgia bomb with great cameos and pop culture references. a must own for kids and parents who grew up building Legos.
  75. May 30, 2014
    The Lego movie was a movie I was particularly excited to watch because of its instant fame and popularity. Thankfully, Warner Bros pictures did not fail in producing a spectacular movie. The only impediment was I had to constantly pause the movie (I watched it at home) to grasp what was happening in the story. At some points, we were exposed to so much information it was a bitThe Lego movie was a movie I was particularly excited to watch because of its instant fame and popularity. Thankfully, Warner Bros pictures did not fail in producing a spectacular movie. The only impediment was I had to constantly pause the movie (I watched it at home) to grasp what was happening in the story. At some points, we were exposed to so much information it was a bit overwhelming. Here is my conclusion:
    Characters: 5/5
    Plot: 3.5/5
    Animation (graphics): 5/5
    Humour: 5/5
  76. Feb 8, 2014
    The LEGO Movie took me completely by surprise and blew my socks off. By all rights, it had no right to be good, as it seemed like a complete complete cosh cow movie. But somehow, it turned out to be the one of the most imaginative and fun movies for the whole family that takes a twist into straight up meta commentary by the end. The big thing that makes the movie run so well, apart fromThe LEGO Movie took me completely by surprise and blew my socks off. By all rights, it had no right to be good, as it seemed like a complete complete cosh cow movie. But somehow, it turned out to be the one of the most imaginative and fun movies for the whole family that takes a twist into straight up meta commentary by the end. The big thing that makes the movie run so well, apart from the really fast comedy coming at you most of the time, comes from the fact that it is, in fact, a LEGO movie, thus everything is based around LEGO physics, motion, and logic. This leads to a lot of jokes and clever use of the set pieces, which I mean quite literally. Honestly, I don’t think the movie would have worked if it took itself completely seriously, but since the plot runs on complete irony, that’s not a problem. Oh, and the acting is superb too, including Charlie Day, who I never would have recognized were it not for the credits. I’m not sure if anyone who hasn’t played with LEGOs or had a kid who did so would enjoy this movie as much apart from the subtle adult jokes that would slip past the kids, but maybe they could. It’s one of the most upbeat, charming, grin-inducing movies that I’ve seen in a while and I think it deserves a watch. Go out and feel like a kid again. Expand
  77. Feb 10, 2014
    The Monty Python & The Holy Grail Of Computer Animated Comedies.
    The Minds Behind Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs & 21 Jump Street Bring Us Perhaps Their Best Yet.
  78. Mar 15, 2014
    I went into this movie with an open mind and was not disappointed let me get this out of the way this movies visuals are amazing it looks like real Lego's and besides that this movie was just overall a very fun experience it was funny and had a very awesome part ast the end I'm not gonna post any spoilers the only thing that I was kind of upset about is that I would have liked to see moreI went into this movie with an open mind and was not disappointed let me get this out of the way this movies visuals are amazing it looks like real Lego's and besides that this movie was just overall a very fun experience it was funny and had a very awesome part ast the end I'm not gonna post any spoilers the only thing that I was kind of upset about is that I would have liked to see more creative things made in the lego movie besides the one thing at the end but besides that I'm gonna put this movie with my top ten favorite animated movies maybe even top five. Expand
  79. Mar 29, 2014
    well, this is good animated movie of the year, my son actually enjoy this movie, and I really like it too, the character is very funny, like emmet and lord business, and also I like the song of the character who played by, morgan freeman, will ferrel, and Elizabeth banks, but the story line is little bit sucks, but the graphic of the cartoon is pretty amazing thing I ever saw and prettywell, this is good animated movie of the year, my son actually enjoy this movie, and I really like it too, the character is very funny, like emmet and lord business, and also I like the song of the character who played by, morgan freeman, will ferrel, and Elizabeth banks, but the story line is little bit sucks, but the graphic of the cartoon is pretty amazing thing I ever saw and pretty hilarious movie of the year. Expand
  80. Feb 8, 2014
    I've been excited for this film since it was announced, and I am hugely pleased to say it did not disappoint; I left the cinema with a huge smile on my face.

What the Lego Movie does well is take something so simple and builds it into a true work of art, making huge disaster scenes seem charming and funny and making dark disturbing scenes bearable and child friendly. The last act of

The last act of the film is... well that's something truly special.

This. Film. Is. Awesome!
  81. Mar 22, 2014
    The Lego Movie is the best movie of 2014 thus far. Not only did I think this movie was awesome but I have to say that this one of the best animated films made in a long time. Yes, I even enjoy this movie more over Frozen. If you haven't seen The Lego Movie yet, please do yourself a favor and at least give it a chance. You won't regret it because Everything is indeed AWESOME!
  82. Feb 12, 2014
    So first of all I was a little skeptical after hearing that a Lego movie was in the works. Then I learned that Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were writing and directing. That's when this movie got my attention. Now let me just make it very clear that I am a huge Lego fan and have been playing with it since I can remember.

I can with all the confidence in the world say, that this movie

I can with all the confidence in the world say, that this movie does NOT disappoint! Firstly the animation that's meant to look like stop motion looks phenomenal.It's hilarious and witty with great characters and for a story that's fairly formulaic, also has depth and emotion. Have to be honest, I kinda saw the twist coming but it's great nonetheless. The ending tugged my heartstrings much like Toy Story 3 did. All in all I walked out of the cinema, firstly singing "Everything is Awesome!" and secondly I checked it of my list as the best animation that I have seen.
  83. Jan 18, 2015
    I had fun watching this movie. I do think it's a little overrated when talking about being a comedy, but it was charming and very creative. Also, the effects were top notch and I kinda wish I had seen the film in 3D.
  84. Jun 26, 2014
    "The Lego Movie" is one of the most pleasant surprises of the year. What's just fantastic is that during 100 minutes, it unfolds an entire fictional universe without feeling rushed or leaving anything out of it AND it has time for sweet character moments, cool twists and funny meta-jokes. Everything in it really is awesome.
  85. Jun 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WOW! Amazing movie, 'The LEGO Movie' is one of the biggest surprises of this year.
    I need to confess that when this movie was announced, I think in a biggest disaster, but when the first reviews appeared I start to think positive about 'The LEGO Movie', and finally when I watch the movie, WOW, I left satisfied, because the result is spectacular.
    The story is very smart, has elements that make it attractive for children an adults, but the little problem is that at times is boring.
    The music is really awesome, the main theme, ''Everything is Awesome'', wow, so addictive hahaha. And the most impressive part of this movie is the animation, create all the film (or the 99% part of the movie) with legos, AMAZING.
    All the characters, the story, the music, the development of the trama and the characters, the animation, the script, and the cameos make this a great movie.
  86. Feb 10, 2014
    Without a doubt one of the best movies of the year, a must see, not just for Lego fans. It will surprise you how great, or how "awesome" everything about this movie is, and how fun the movie is, I laughed a lot, and its just a great story, with a so many awesome great characters which you will remember for a long time!
    Watch it, the Lego movie wont disappoint !! A must see !
  87. Feb 27, 2014
    Finest children's film (feels like a misnomer, honestly) I've seen since Toy Story 3. I took a date, and we laughed throughout the entire movie. This film is a pure joy. Technically masterful, comedically sharp, dazzlingly original. I'd go see it again in a heartbeat. Cannot recommend it highly enough!
  88. Jun 14, 2014
    I am actually surprised that many people were bored by this movie. I found it quite entertaining and cute, with the kind of theme and plot to be expected from a movie made by LEGO ®. The characters were adorable and oozed inner strength. I would recommend it to anyone who was looking for an entertaining and funny family film.
  89. Jul 9, 2014
    The Lego Movie revolves around the journey of Emmet finding who he is and helping the master builders to take down Lord Business and to save the world.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film since the whole concept was brilliantly thought out. The fact that the film knows that it is a toy is its main strength. It uses this so effectively throughout the film and especially towards the end. This helps the audience to engage and immerse themselves within the film due to a high population of people actually owning a Lego set at some point in their life. The voice acting of Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Ferrel, Will Arnett and Liam Neeson all bring their characters to life with each one being gratifying to watch and hear from.

The only disappointment I saw was that I wanted to see more of the areas that the film could have explored. However this is only a small negativity that I can find personally.

In all no matter what your age you will be able to thoroughly enjoy the Lego movie. It appeals to not only children but to adults as well based on the fact that it is so highly engaging. The Lego Movie is a must see in any way possible.
  90. Apr 20, 2015
    This movie was just plain awesome! The animation was top-notch, it had a fantastic cast of characters, and it's just so flipping funny! This movie just wants me to play with legos again and this has to be one of my favorite animated movies ever!
  91. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie, I went to it as excited as can be. I find myself very lucky that my experience wasn't ruined by whiny smelly chatty gullible children, as there weren't any in the theatre.
    Anyway, onto the movie. I'm gonna say this, this movie is probably one of the best of 2014. It was really awesome, loved all the characters, the dialogue and the interactions between them was lovely. The events were awesome and the pacing of the whole movie was astonishing. And the animating was pretty mind blowing for a Lego Movie.
    But, here's the thing. This movie is, in hindsight, a 'Journey is better than the destination' case. But when watching it in the theatre, the ending kinda makes the events of the whole movie pointless. As none of it is real, and it's just Will Ferrell VS Will Ferrell's son. But it's still a good movie... And in some scenes, the combination of CGI and Stop-Motion kinda throws you off. Especially when the Stop-Motion-only bits are barely distinguishable from the CGI ones.
    Back to the good stuff. The whole idea of this movie is awesome, and the implications, along with the truth behind those implications seem too mature for kids, makes me kinda wonder what the writers were also constrained to, due to the movie's PG rating.
    Liam Neeson's performance (I'm not calling him Bad Cop, nope) was outstanding, and I'v never had as many feels for a factional character as this guy (Well, maybe Lee Everett).
    Morgan Freeman (Not calling him Vitruvius, either) did his role pretty awesomely, too. But Morgan Freeman, as an actor gets a free pass, no matter what. He's still really really great in this movie.
    Batman was also a nice character, a much needed change from the serious gritty dark Batman we're used to. And the Star Wars scene ...I literally started applauding right there.
    This movie, didn't need to be 3D. It barely used it beside the part where Liam Neeson shoots the screen. I can't wait to see 3D just go.
    Anyway, I'm going off topic here. This movie, as it's theme of 'unspecial' goes, is awesome!
    I'd give it a 9.2 just because of the ending, but for lack of a fractional voting system on this site, I give it a deserving 10/10. There needs to be way more movies like this, movies that know what they are and make the best of it, not movies like Kick-Ass 2 or Man Of Steel that are simply trying too hard.
  92. Feb 8, 2014
    Up until the last 10 minutes or so this film is an absolute hilarity, with some amazingly timed jokes, outrageous cameos, and witty dialogue. Then you reach the last 10 minutes and (without spoilers) you realize just how deep and profound the message of the movie is, giving everything a much greater meaning and purpose, while delving into some vey good meta-fiction. Nothing about thisUp until the last 10 minutes or so this film is an absolute hilarity, with some amazingly timed jokes, outrageous cameos, and witty dialogue. Then you reach the last 10 minutes and (without spoilers) you realize just how deep and profound the message of the movie is, giving everything a much greater meaning and purpose, while delving into some vey good meta-fiction. Nothing about this feels fake, the entire movie is beaming with life and about an hour after you leave you feel like you have taken such a welcome breath of fresh air, and I hate kids movies. This is not a kids movie, it is a movie that kids can watch and enjoy, but it is not a kids movie. Everything is indeed AWESOME. Expand
  93. Feb 8, 2014
    This movie was amazingly well aware of its self and all aspects of it fully delivered. The animation was great, and with a bunch of awesome actors The LEGO Movie was already superb. The movie kept me and the rest of the theater laughing the entire time, with it bringing something for both kids and adults. I can't get "Everything is Awesome" out of my head.
  94. May 6, 2014
    The LEGO Movie is great fun to watch with good dialogue and funny scenes, it is perfect for all ages. The story was really good, the ending was decent. Overall it is a fun movie to watch with family or friends
  95. Feb 9, 2014
    I am a 56 year old grandmother who took my LEGO loving, creative seven year old granddaughter for an after school treat to see THE LEGO movie. I don't know if it was the fault of the movie or the way our theater started the movie but initially there was little to no fanfare for the beginning of the movie. At one point, my granddaughter and I looked at each other and we both quietlyI am a 56 year old grandmother who took my LEGO loving, creative seven year old granddaughter for an after school treat to see THE LEGO movie. I don't know if it was the fault of the movie or the way our theater started the movie but initially there was little to no fanfare for the beginning of the movie. At one point, my granddaughter and I looked at each other and we both quietly whispered at the same moment how much we both felt as if we had sensory overload with the pace of the movie, a story we didn't initially understand, the sounds, the colors and graphics. However, once we were comfortably settled in we thoroughly enjoyed the movie. There's humor suitable for adult and child alike. My granddaughter loved it because it included humor, adventure, superheroes, good vs. evil and romance!

Yes, it may one big advertisement for LEGOS but I say, "Good for them!" because it was so entertaining and I can think of a lot worse we're all exposed to on a daily basis.

As I watched the film, I marveled at the detailed graphics and the hard work and investment made by the creators and animators. Put simply: Adults would do well to see the movie purely for the creativity if nothing else.

We appreciated the celebrity voice-overs too. While the live-action in the movie may seem subdued in relation to the rest of the movie, it certainly goes a long way to tying everything together and helping it all make sense.
  96. Feb 23, 2014
    Expecting one of those LEGO ninjago or LEGO movies that didn't make it to theaters? Well, don't... because those movies were terrible compared to this lovely movie! Features many characters from LEGO sets as master builders. Jokes just keep on flying by.

Not tempted? Then here's another reason: It has Morgan Freeman and Will Ferrell.
  97. Feb 8, 2014
    Easily the best movie of 2014, The lego movie offers fresh animation, awesome puns and many famous actors such as Liam Neeson, Will Ferrell and Morgan Freeman... I recommend this movie for immediate watch.
  98. Mar 3, 2014
    I loved this movie, it is incredible. The animation is wonderful, the characters are incredible likable, the message at the end is valuable, the plot twist is very well done and it's hilarious. There's nothing else to say but "Everything is awesome!" and as my friend Memburg said, "Spaceship!"
  99. Jul 15, 2014
    There are a few of movies that actually give me the chills by the end. This was one of them. The storyline was absolutely amazing, it was extremely comedic, and well made. Incredibly animated. This movie is awesome. :)
  100. Jul 29, 2014
    This is the Lego movie that everyone was hoping fo...no the kids movie we have been waiting for. Unless you liked Clutch Powers. Then you go watch it again. Alone. While we watch funny jokes, great animation and Will Ferrell. But you go watch... whatever that was...

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Dec 15, 2014
    A clever, vividly imagined, consistently funny, eye-poppingly pretty and oddly profound movie … about Legos.
  2. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Sep 22, 2014
    Beautifully shot, impeccably paced, and with a voice cast that nails it in every role, large or small, "The Lego Movie" is a genuine delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Mar 3, 2014
    As a rule, movies about toys need to be approached with extreme caution; some of them have been bad enough to count as health hazards. This one is the exception.