8.3

1. Apr 21, 2014
    Easily the greatest animated film since Toy Story 3, and best movie I've seen all year, and all of last year. A gag-a-minute style with lots of heart, and great narrative, with a good twist. A star-brick-studded cast with great voicing promises one of the best movies ever made.
  2. Apr 20, 2014
    Awesome movie. It's funny and has a great story. I thoroughly loved it. This movie is definitely for everyone. All the characters work well together and it's just a fantastic film overall.
  3. Apr 20, 2014
    Another prime example of how "kid's movie" need not mean "bland". Incredibly imaginative, superbly funny, and epic in scale, this movie will make you want to be eight years old again just so you can have an excuse to watch this movie over and over again
  4. Apr 19, 2014
    Pretty much the song "everything is awesome" sums up whats the movie is 'Awesome'

Very good story, With excellent characters along with voice acting, it is top notch with Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Morgan Freeman and Channing Tatem just to name a few.

The movie has some funny jokes and excellent references that fit in to make it awesome, The comedy is not dumbed down for
    children to get but it is smart so all ages will get the joke the best joke was the Star Wars scene.

The last 15 minutes with Will Ferrell and the kid (don't know the actors name) was an amazing scene, yes and that part about duplo :P.
  5. Apr 18, 2014
    This film is good enough for mixing kid/adult themes, but pretty overrated otherwise. Will we be watching this 10 years from now and getting as excited as we are now? Doubtful.
  6. Apr 17, 2014
    A really funny, good kids movie. One of my favourites of 2014 so far. Even though its a kids movie there were many jokes that I loved and laughed a lot at. Animation was great how they made everything look like Lego even explosions. A well done movie.
  7. Apr 10, 2014
    A good movie that is fun for kids and parents. However, it is not "awesome" as the movie's theme song tries to convince you. It is good, but it is not the "tenouttaten" everyone claims it is.
  8. Apr 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everything is awful! The Lego Movie is one of the most terrible movies released ever and makes me physically angry. Society (both young and old) have been praising this appalling movie for the humour, the story and the amazing CGI animation, however this was a huge let down in the end. The animation was similar to that of the stop motion from the past. This animation style just felt awful to watch and fell short of expectations that were given from the praise it had been receiving. Objects were added and removed from each frame obviously for effect but it just felt very clunky and was an eyesore. The action scenes were a headache to watch because of this as they were too fast and erratic. There weren't many action scenes either, and for good reason too, as most of them were un-entertaining. The story was completely atrocious in the way it was portrayed. The film opened surprisingly as it begins very abruptly.

The audience and I try to catch up with the plot although already being tossed straight into the story. The humour and wit in this film is dreadful and was dissatisfying to say the least. The jokes were presented to the audience horribly as they were constantly repeated. This caused the audience to become disengaged in the humour after approximately twenty minutes into the film. No one in the theater even laughed at any one point in the film either, instead there were just smiles or small giggles and these were gone by halfway through the movie.

The references to aspects in modern society were also short-coming as they were overused just like the jokes. There were many references to characters and icons of pop culture in the twentieth century from many superheroes, to Shaquille O'Neal, and to many others. Most of these references must have been used as a joke because there were very few that were even used to advance the story or even be included in the story. Instead they had their short moments or one liners, or even just their single appearance. The appearance of Will Ferrell added some saving grace to the film for many but for others that might not be enough! There were far too many scenes in the film where the main protagonist and his blocky friends would just be escaping the place they currently were. The evil police man known as the "Bad Cop", would constantly chase Emmet Brickowski from one place to the other which just left people wondering, when it would end. Watching this film was physically exhausting as not only would they be dashing from place to place on the run, but there would be crazy story advancements and even flashy colours being thrown into the mix.

Is this movie even well made? A love story beyond the ages, action that transcends all, and most importantly an intricate story-line? I don't think a single aspect of those were used in this movie and this left me wanting to leave the theater before the film was even finished. This movie was unoriginal and was a complete disappointment. I'm now going to go cry myself to sleep after watching this horrid film.
  9. Apr 9, 2014
    This movie makes me physically angry, the delivery of the jokes are just horrible and I wanted to leave the movie theater halfway through, no movie has ever given me this feeling. The LEGO Movie was the biggest disappointment I have ever had.
  10. Apr 6, 2014
    It wasn't hilarious by any means, but what it definitely was was fresh, original, and downright entertaining! Even those who didn't grow up with or spend a lot of time with Legos will almost certainly still enjoy this imaginative and fun spectacle of a film. Even the voice cast is a riot. Chris Pratt was really funny, as was Will Ferrell and Liam Neeson. And of course, you can't have an animated film without a great voice like Morgan Freeman's. Although it's a little absurd at times, the film overall manages to make up for that by providing great eye-popping animation along with some good humor not just for kids, but even adults this time around! Expand
  11. Apr 5, 2014
    I have just got home from taking my 13 year old and 10 of his mates to see the new Lego movie for his 13th birthday.
    All I can say is," Were all the critics who wrote reviews on this movie smoking crack when they watched it"?. After 10 mins in I had 11 kids between the ages of 7 - 13 squirming in there seats and fidgeting.Thank god the pizza's and drinks were delivered at the 30 min mark
    as I think they would have been walking out of the cinema.The Pizza and drinks kept them going till the 1 hour mark. Not to sure what happened between the 70th and 80th minute as I fell asleep.
    Once the movie was completed I think my 8 year old summed up the movie, his words were "Thank goodness for the last 15 mins as it pulled the whole movie together" Not that there was a lot to pull together .Not once did I hear any of the kids laugh throughout the movie frankly they all admitted in the Foyer after the movie it was quite boring.
    Lego I gave you a good go, it cost me $600 AUD for tickets and food in Gold Class yet you delivered me nothing more then a boring,lack lustre movie that failed in all aspects including animation, production and a reasonable plot. At best a half decent DVD movie.
  12. Apr 5, 2014
    just a fun cool movie for the whole family!. The Lego movie is the best animated film since Toy story and will be among the best animated films of all time!. this is a highly recommended film to anyone, for any age and will keep you feeling awesome and cool. Just remember that everything is awesome and everything is cool when your part of a team!.
  13. Apr 4, 2014
    It was not funny nor was it entertaining. It was just a bad movie. I hoping it would get better, but some how it got worse. I am not sure why most people are saying it was great.
  14. Apr 3, 2014
    This move might seem like a heartless cash grab and a two hour long commercial, but The Lego Movie isn't one. It has a star studded cast, good animation, a plot and message that's developed pretty well and is thoughtful, and it has great comedy. Pop culture references are spread throughtout and they are a nice touch. Emmet, Wyldstyle, Vitruvius, Batman, Benny, Lord Buisness, Princess Unikitty, and Good Cop/Bad Cop are all great characters. The large celebrity cast (Chris Pratt, Will Ferrel, Elizabeth Banks, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Cobie Smulders, and Will Arnett) are all great Lego Minifigures as well. The DC superheroes are funny (but no Marvel ones though?). The movie has lots of potential, and with its box office ($335 million so far compared to a 60 million budget) it will surely become a blockbuster franchise.

SPOLIER ALERT:
    My only complaint was that the live action part of the movie was a bit weak, and was not as satisfying as the rest of the film.

I just am waiting for the sequel (aimed for a May 2017 release date). I hope the entire cast returns (and that it brings a new story and new characters)! I recommend that you watch it, especially if you have children. It's a lot better than some other comedies and a nice treat.

If you like this review, please mark it as helpful. Remember, every vote counts! Also check my reviews for other movies and TV shows by clicking in my name. I'd really appreciate it.
  15. Apr 2, 2014
    Witty and visually imaginative, with a great (Devo-ish) soundtrack. Very tongue in cheek, with a sweet and soulful heart. Batman is the standout character, but all the jokes at the expense of popular culture (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, JLA, Star Wars, My Little Pony, pirate movies etc) are pretty good. Kids will probably enjoy it (it is a bit long) because of the colour and continuous kinetic action, but adults should get something out of it as well. Kudos to Australian company Animal Logic for the animation. Sometimes the script was a little hard to follow (not that important, really) and some of the car chase scenes were too long, but that is a common failing with nearly all hit movies these days. Recommended, as it sets a new bar in animation. Sequels can be expected. Expand
  16. Apr 1, 2014
    If you've played with LEGO, you'll get more of the jokes. If you haven't, there's still plenty to love about a film that hits most of its beats and has a passable enough story to keep you going. The high quality of animation shows you why these films take so long to make. Witty and warm, with enough digs at cynical marketing techniques, "The LEGO Movie" is a fun night out, and will sell in bucket loads on Blu ray and DVD. Batman is a joy all by himself, and a brief, but wonderful cameo by the crew of the Millenium Falcon is almost worth the admission fee in itself. Fun for children and adults alike. Not perfect, but a pretty good try. Now, where did I put my LEGO? Expand
  17. Mar 31, 2014
    Funny movie, great story, awesome characters, and it somehow found a non-goofy way to stick some sad scenes - that undeniably work - in a children's film. You will laugh, you will be on the edge of your seat, and some tears will be shed. From the colorful cast to the almost deadpan humor, this movie is amazing in every single way.
  18. Mar 30, 2014
    The lego movie is a very entertaining and funny movie for all ages to enjoy. I went with one of my best friends and we were laughing the whole time. The animation of the movie was very well done and I love how they had real people in the movie as well as animation.
  19. Mar 29, 2014
    well, this is good animated movie of the year, my son actually enjoy this movie, and I really like it too, the character is very funny, like emmet and lord business, and also I like the song of the character who played by, morgan freeman, will ferrel, and Elizabeth banks, but the story line is little bit sucks, but the graphic of the cartoon is pretty amazing thing I ever saw and pretty hilarious movie of the year. Expand
  20. Mar 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been a fan of LEGO for over nine years, so I was excited to find out about this movie. I was expecting it to be a decent kids film, but it ended up being so much more. Its very creative and original as well as having beautiful animation (LEGO bricks everywhere!). Now, yes, this movie is an obvious advertisement for LEGO toys, but its a commercial done well. Also being a Batman fan, I was kind f worried about their take on the character being a jerk. Fortunately, he's really funny and is one of my favorite characters of the film. I shouldn't have been to worried since this isn't an official Batman thing after all, its just a parody of the character who reminds me of the same character in LEGO stop motion film maker Forrestfire101's videos. I'm actually surprised that a lot of the negative thoughts people have on the film is its live action ending. For me, I wouldn't have really liked the film without it. It solves the many plot holes I pointed out while watching it like, "If Business stole the Kragle 8 1/2 years ago, why not use it 8 1/2 years ago?" and "how did Batman know when to save Wyldstyle, Vitruvius, and Emmet while they were falling?" The point is, these were never plot holes! It was just a very young kid coming up with his own stupid story! It surprised when I got to this point in the film, and it made me feel nostalgic for the time I was a kid and came up with equally stupid stories. But despite all the good things I've been saying about the film, there are a few flaws I'd like to point out. If your watching the film for the first time, it can feel really fast paced around the beginning and some of the middle. However, it won't feel this way watching it the second time since you practically know whats gonna happen. My other flaw with the film, more of a nit pick actually, is that they get rid of the Good Cop character to quickly. I can't really consider it a spoiler since it happens right around the end of the first act, BEFORE we meet Batman, Uni-Kitty, Benny, and MetaBeard. I like the WAY they did it, but it they should have at least gotten rid of him in the middle of the film thus saving time for more jokes on the character. So, if you know someone who hasn't seen the film, go ahead and watch it with them. Expand
  21. Mar 24, 2014
    as a game that the story is more or less the style of movie is horrible lego people only makes success in that cartoon is kid of two years and only managed to score 2 more or less the story that would be good in a movie with actors who able to walk right.
  22. Mar 23, 2014
    I came into it thinking, "How can they possibly make a Lego Movie a good film on any serious level?" and was blown away. Yes, this is a film about little Lego people, but it resonates on as many levels with 20-somethings and 90s kids as it does with youngsters because of its clever plot-line, punchy humor, and numerous cultural references. A winner on all levels.
  23. Mar 22, 2014
    The Lego Movie is the best movie of 2014 thus far. Not only did I think this movie was awesome but I have to say that this one of the best animated films made in a long time. Yes, I even enjoy this movie more over Frozen. If you haven't seen The Lego Movie yet, please do yourself a favor and at least give it a chance. You won't regret it because Everything is indeed AWESOME!
  24. Mar 21, 2014
    Just amazing!, the humour is meant for both adults and children, very good storyline, kept my laughing throughout the film! would happily buy this on dvd when it comes out :)
  25. Mar 21, 2014
    Everything is awesome.. That's not a movie, it's charming intellectualizing entertainment crowded with super heroes who are still imaginary heroes, while the real super hero is the word "BELIEVE"!

As an engineer I know perfectly who is "Marcus Vitruvius Pollio" (Morgan Freeman) as a "Master Builder", but the message this movie wants us to get is that everyone of us is his own master
    builder by his own creativity even though it seems clumsy! Emmet (Chris Pratt) - and the word "Emmet" means "Truth" in Hebrew and that goes along the events very much- is a normal person who doesn't believe in excellence. The prophecy was a lie or not, what matters! that looks like all religions if we think deeply in, because the basics of any religion are to make everything better and organized. Maybe the man Upstairs is a symbol of God with his ultimate power to fix or destroy everything by His own will. Where will it finish? Not with a military coup.. It will run to emotional convictions which make the ending charming for kids.

It is Lively, a bit crowded and messy for children, and surreal for me (at least), with resonant colorful pictures. The script maybe normal, but tasty combining comedy, fantasy, sci-fi, action... and the usual clichés of comics. Nice voice performances (Liam Neeson, Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell and Elizabeth Banks).

It doesn't flatter super heroes.. Hey! Make a super hero out of yourself by believing in yourself. "The Lego Movie" really smartly opens 2014 cinematically for me!
  26. Mar 18, 2014
    Being that I grew up building legos as a kid and having a much younger brother who enjoys it as well I was very excited for this movie. The overall production of this was incredible and this was the lego movie I always dreamed of. Also kudos to Will Ferrell on an incredible performance as well as the rest of the cast. The movie was pretty deep and thought provoking for an older audience and all around fun for a younger audience. This, in my opinion, is as perfect as a movie can get. Expand
  27. Mar 15, 2014
    I went into this movie with an open mind and was not disappointed let me get this out of the way this movies visuals are amazing it looks like real Lego's and besides that this movie was just overall a very fun experience it was funny and had a very awesome part ast the end I'm not gonna post any spoilers the only thing that I was kind of upset about is that I would have liked to see more creative things made in the lego movie besides the one thing at the end but besides that I'm gonna put this movie with my top ten favorite animated movies maybe even top five. Expand
  28. Mar 12, 2014
    Nominator got it. This movie is just a perfect example of the techniques that businesses wield to get kids to by stuff . What one takes away from it is kids should by selfish don't share your toys so your parents can by another toy for your sibling . The Movie had no real voice actors cast . Really simple jokes and gags which is offensive because they think we are all dumb .
  29. Mar 11, 2014
    All i am going to say is that this movie is a must see for ALL AGES! Final Verdict:9/10 YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  30. Mar 10, 2014
    Wow. We walked out of this movie... Couldn't believe how horrible it was... It was incredibly ADD and the animation was almost impossible to comprehend at times. Most jokes are disguised as anti-corporation/capitalism which might have been cute with the exception of the Lego company being a monster corporation itself... jokes were almost anti-capitalism to the point of making fun of Legos as a business.

So much cool stuff could have been done in this movie regarding the story. It was just too quick to intro characters and ideas... the first 30 seconds smacks you in the face, give me a minute to breath.

They attempted to have the polish of Pixar storytelling but fell flat on their face. The animation in general was spectacular (exception with action scenes) especially with so much limitation. Most mood was infused with pink and neon blue backlighting.

Dare I say that Marvel Legos Movie destroyed this...
  31. Mar 9, 2014
    Wow! I did not expect The Lego Movie to be so good, but it was hilarious, and everything is, as the song says, awesome, Liam Nesson was great, Morgan Freeman was great, and Will Arnett was perfect as Batman, also Will Ferell was a great bad guy, and the ending is just genius.
  32. Mar 9, 2014
    The Lego Movie just didn't click. The first issue was the stop-motion animation. The entire movie is jerky as 1963's Jason and the Argonauts. As if it was made by a first year animation student. Coupled with 3-D - it was a headache inducing experience. I couldn't believe how amateurish it looked. Secondly, the humour was incredibly puerile. Now, i love silly humour too but each joke was weaker than the last. The plot twist at the end was schmaltzy and annoying. Even my 3 kids didn't seem to like it much. We're obviously in the minority as everybody seems to love this film but we thought it was lame. Expand
  33. Mar 8, 2014
    This movie is definetly my favorite movie of 2014 as its hilariously genius and just made me jaw hurt from great jokes, master plots, and more. SPACESHIP!
  34. Mar 7, 2014
    This movie was very entertaining. I was looking forward to this movie, but I did not expect it to be this good. I was laughing throughout the entire film and did not find a single moment dull.
  35. Mar 5, 2014
    An amazing movie, it has charismatics characters, the story is well-told and very funny as well, the movie is worth to watch because besides being very exciting it is very funny too. I recommend for all people not only the children.
  36. Mar 5, 2014
    The trailer I watched was lame. This movie wasn't, far from it. The more I think of it, I really want to see this again. A great movie with great jokes, actors and animation. It may look like a child's movie, but I can say, I enjoyed every last bit of this awesomeness. Do recommend.
  37. Mar 4, 2014
    The film was enjoyable and if your into animation family films there is no reason not to see this. Being a child from the eighties it does feel a bit like one long LEGO commercial but it has enough cuteness, symbolism, pop referencing and famous actors to pass it through to a more movie status. The ending reached some level of meaning but i felt it was a bit fast and forced to seem genuine but hey this is a kids family film so all up its a pass. DEf not the movie of the year though ! Expand
  38. Mar 4, 2014
    The most disappointing movie I have ever seen, there isn't a single moment of entertainment in this film whatever age you may be. Its mind bending how critics or anyone managed to score this so highly. There is no story and it tries to give some kind of message at the end but it falls flat due to the stagnant cynicism of the story. It doesn't explore any new ideas and any good jokes are frivolously chucked in with no care. Terrible. Expand
  39. Mar 3, 2014
    How can you not give this film universal acclaim when it is able to get laughs, emotional connections, in a well-written story for all ages? The casting is massive and yet everyone works together at an even level. This is a highly enjoyable film from beginning to end, and recommended for anyone in 2014
  40. Mar 3, 2014
    I loved this movie, it is incredible. The animation is wonderful, the characters are incredible likable, the message at the end is valuable, the plot twist is very well done and it's hilarious. There's nothing else to say but "Everything is awesome!" and as my friend Memburg said, "Spaceship!"
  41. Mar 3, 2014
    I expected great things from the Lego Movie - they hold use rights for many-a-franchise, they have a lot of creative horsepower behind them, and the Lego games are many and successful.
    The movie surpassed my expectations, delivering a hilarious, joyful, and surprisingly meaningful romp through a child's playland on par with Pixar's finest works.
    Though the movie seems not to take itself
    too seriously, and in fact seems to encourage the viewer not to take it, or anything, too seriously, it slows down at just the right moments to deliver just a little more than your average kid's movie. Expand
  42. Mar 2, 2014
    lego movie is the 100 % wrost film 89 % good film the begging and middle was terrible . the wrost animated films i ever seen . i think children are sugar rushed to like this film
  43. Mar 1, 2014
    Just saw the movie with a few friends, and I'd have to say...it was exactly as I thought it would be. For the most part. I didn't have any real expectations going into it. I mean, it was called the LEGO movie, so interesting could it actually be? It was...unique, I'll give it that.

You know how most movies throw in the occasional pop culture reference? Something witty, something that
    will be a little more memorable than other parts of said movie? The LEGO movie was built upon those. I mean, they were EVERYWHERE. Cat posters, Batman's attitude, Good/Bad cop (they weren't even trying to be subtle with this one).

And the cliches. For crying out loud, could a movie about creativity do something original? 'Strong' female protagonist that needs a man, no one dies at the end, every single subplot resolves itself, hero goes on journey and discovers self, I mean, come on! I was actually happy when I thought that Emmett died, and would become a martyr or something but NOPE!!! Spoiler, not really, he lives! You know why this wasn't tagged as a spoiler? Because there was no way that he could die. The movie's cliches made him immortal.

Story-wise, it sucked. There was no story. Well, nothing that wasn't covered by the cliches at least. I guess one could say it was satire, but you know what? Satire really doesn't make up for no interesting plot whatsoever.

Now, for the 'positive' part. The animation style was great. It fit the Lego theme really well, and I wouldn't mind seeing that in other movies. The voice talent did a good job, and you know what? They occasionally did a clever thing during an action sequence. This all would merit it a 5.

Unfortunately, the 5 was downgraded to a 4, for the terrible ending. Not going to spoil it, but...really? REALLY?
  44. Feb 28, 2014
    I really liked the movie because it gives moments of fun, but I did not expect realistic scenes. Either way was fine, it leaves a great message and creators strove for was not boring.
  45. Feb 27, 2014
    I enjoyed the jerky animation style and laughed quite a bit. The children in the theater seemed into the movie as well. The pacing is frantic and sometimes you can't tell what's going on. Not a great animated film but a good one.
  46. Feb 27, 2014
    Finest children's film (feels like a misnomer, honestly) I've seen since Toy Story 3. I took a date, and we laughed throughout the entire movie. This film is a pure joy. Technically masterful, comedically sharp, dazzlingly original. I'd go see it again in a heartbeat. Cannot recommend it highly enough!
  47. Feb 27, 2014
    The humour in this movie is just unbelievably funny. Some of the best I have ever seen in an animated film actually. The voice acting is also superb (who can dislike an animation movie with freakin' Morgan Freeman in it?!) and it goes without saying that the animation is just sublime. But with all this aside, it does not mean the movie is flawless. There might have been a bit too much morals in the movie, what leads to not having a clear moral at all. For parents, there is the 'Enjoy the time with your kids' moral, while for kids there is the 'Share the fun' moral and for everyone there are several 'Believe in yourself' like morals. Also, at some points in the movie there is an unclear sense of reality (I will not give too much away about that, but when you saw the movie I think you can easily get my point). But the biggest flaw has to be the characters. They are not bad or anything, but the main ones have such mixed personality that you sometimes do not know whether you have to feel good or bad for one. But in the end, the amazing amount of jokes that actually hit bullseye, verbal or non-verbal, makes up for every single flaw there is in this movie. It actually got me playing with LEGO again, because even though some messages may be unclear, one was very clear to me: "LEGO is for all ages". Expand
  48. Feb 27, 2014
    I really enjoyed this film. The visuals are really good, the cast is strong and it has as many characters from as many different sets as it could possibly manage!

Even the subtle things like fire and water effects are the actual fire and water bricks you would get in a set not some standard explosion which would have been disjointed. Other things like 1980's spaceship guy having a worn
    logo and cracked helmet, things that are well known to have happened to that piece over time.

They did the best thing they could of done with the story and thats not make it perfect but make it as random as possible. There are flaws in the story yes but when you get to the end you realise why it is so random and it ties everything up in a nice neat bow.

Favourite characters are definitely 1980's spaceship guy and good cop bad cop.
  49. Feb 26, 2014
    You have to see it to understand why it's 10/10 material. The characters seem a little cliche at first, but the filmmakers really build on that in a comedic way. Not like the usual role reversals, but more like what you definitely would not expect from these characters until halfway in.
  50. Feb 26, 2014
    The Lego company is going to sell an extra 10 tons of Legos. It was a very funny movie and I usually don't like movies with Will Ferrell in it. My favorite movie was Batman Lego. How funny and even more human that the actors in the Batman movies. A good plot with good action. I am too old to have had Legos but I had the earlier version called Building Blocks. I admit that I mostly used them as soldiers playing war. This movie like the Shrek dynasty, is fine for any age. I never believe it when the ads say that but this is true. Expand
  51. Feb 26, 2014
    Thus far this is tied with Her as my favourites for 2014. There is a lot to like about this movie especially having seen it in 3D which enhances just how entertaining this is. A obvious comment - this is Lego brought to life!

I loved how well thought through this movie was. Whilst it references popular culture both through characters of other stories but also Internet memes such as
    Batman's capacity to achieve anything. It has aptly timed humour that was refreshingly unexpected. But most of all I really enjoyed how to the story unfolded with the presence of real world items; the end result being an acknowledgement of the creativity found in a child's mind and how adults can inhibit this. Brilliant.

On that note I really appreciated the deeper meaning in this film and how well rounded the message is: creativity shouldn't be limited to those who think freely and originally. Anyone is capable of creativity whether it be complete new, a slight different, or a revised of something already present. But beyond that independant creativity thought should be applauded communal creative thought should be too. As well as creative thought derived from instructions.

Toy Story 3 was the last animation film I saw which was explored childhood and what it meanings, including growing up. It was a masterpiece which hasn't been topped. Lego Movie is not as good and is different but what it does share is an equally relevant showcase of experiences children have.

I trust you, like me, walked away from this movie wanting to play with Lego, play Mindcraft or do something creative. Wonderful!
  52. Feb 25, 2014
    From Bruce Wayne to Bronnies this movie has enough cultural gags to keep an angry mob smiling and laughing with joy. Fits that great balance of being entertaining to kids yet has enough familiar voices to keep their parents enthralled. All this and does it with class that is completely family friendly.
  53. Feb 25, 2014
    A pleasant mix of lighthearted humor and emotional twists, The Lego movie didn't disappoint. Although I found the opening scene to be bad, the rest of the movie more than redeemed it.
  54. Feb 24, 2014
    This movie was super cute and super funny. Entertaining for adults and children alike. Any adult that had a fondness for Legos as a kid would love this. Writing is very witty and funny, laughs the whole time. So many clever things they thought to incorporate. The only criticism I have is that while the twist at the end was a fun surprise, it made it seem a little anticlimactic.
  55. Feb 24, 2014
    Sometimes it's really funny in that special kind of LEGO way, but more often it's just a long row of bang bang action that isn't very entertaining really. The story is shallow and, as it turns out, cliché. I just can't helping thinking that it could have been done in a much better way. They could have easily brought more depth to the main character, and skipped much of the heroes vs villains crap. My kids didn't laugh even once, and neither did any of the others in the cinema. And what's with the 3D? Does anyone enjoy 3D? It's garbage, I tell you. Expand
  56. Feb 24, 2014
    Truly an AWFUL movie. I cannot believe the number of critics that have said this is the best movie of the year...i am dumbfounded. Not only did I NEVER laugh once during this unoriginal piece of crap, but neither did the 100's of kids at the showing. I expected to hear them giggle with glee or scream with delight...but it never happened.DO NOT waste your money on this film.
  57. Feb 23, 2014
    This is the first movie of 2014 I've seen but I can already tell it'll be my favorite, even outside "kids'" movies. I can think of nothing about this movie that wasn't done absolutely perfect. It's got at least a laugh a minute with a very smart self-aware sense of humor. The characters are all likable & fun to watch, even the villains. Every voice actor does a fantastic job, which you wouldn't think with a cast so dominated by big names that'd make you think this would be a lame cash grab. And the twist at the end is nothing short of jaw-dropping, not just because of the twist itself (which those perceptive enough might see coming) but also because of what the plot does with that twist. Even if you're usually not a fan of kids' movies, this is a must-watch.

(For my full review, look up "Spin It Reviews" on YouTube. I'd appreciate it. And don't worry, no spoilers.)
  58. Feb 23, 2014
    Expecting one of those LEGO ninjago or LEGO movies that didn't make it to theaters? Well, don't... because those movies were terrible compared to this lovely movie! Features many characters from LEGO sets as master builders. Jokes just keep on flying by.

Not tempted? Then here's another reason: It has Morgan Freeman and Will Ferrell.
  59. Feb 23, 2014
    "The Lego Movie" is not only the most original advertisement for a children's toy in the history of marketing, it is also an entertaining work of animation that can be enjoyed by a range of audiences, offering a fresh visual style, funny gags and exemplary voice-work from its cast, particularly Will Ferrell and Liam Neeson. And if the first three quarters of the film are a little too conventional and lightweight, the conclusion to the film is a work of ingenuity and of pathos that matches the ending to "Toy Story III", or the love story montage in "Up". Expand
  60. Feb 22, 2014
    I didn't really like the movie either. I nearly fell asleep. The only thing that i thought was good was the father and son thing at the end, but the rest I could do without. I only went because my boys wanted to go.
  61. Feb 22, 2014
    Filme muito bom,eu realmente achava que seria um filme somente focado para o público infantil,mas não! ele meio que abrange todos os públicos e tem um final que eu não esperava de maneire nenhuma,estão de parabéns !
  62. Feb 22, 2014
    The LEGO Movie es proyecto muy original e imaginativo. Me sorprendió cuando fui al cine para verla, pagar la entrada valió la pena, fue espectacular, uno de esos proyectos que son capaces de ser premiados para la mejor película animada (del año que viene). Lo mejor de The LEGO Movie de lejos son sus personajes creados con figuras de LEGO reales en Stop Motion pero de alguna manera logran cobrar vida a lo largo de la película, tiene un humor sano, inocente y divertido, y como alago final: NO CAE EN LO RIDÍCULO, ya que muchas películas animadas de hoy en día son patéticas. Pero vale la pena hacer una observación de ésta ya que es un proyecto divertido que disfrutaran personas de todas las edades. Expand
  63. Feb 22, 2014
    If you're between 6 and 14 years of age you might like this movie. Otherwise forget it. Surprisingly dark and violent for the age group the movie supposedly is meant to target. Animation gave me a headache… thank goodness we didn't see it in 3D.
  64. Feb 22, 2014
    An action packed, hilarious and sometimes quite stupid movie, The lego movie gives out the message that you don’t have to be a Hero of a Prophecy or Special to make a mark in this world . but it is important to have self-belief to achieve own goals . The protagonist also conveys his message that everything doesn’t always have to be perfect, there are times when the mind needs to be free and imaginative, creative and be allowed to build anything it wants, the way it wants it. Expand
  65. Feb 21, 2014
    Being a monstrous Lego fan/builder as a child, when I heard this movie was announced and I heard that the brilliant Chris Miller and Phil Lord were directing it, I was so pumped up. After seeing the movie get critical acclaim, I had ultra high expectations before watching it. I was not disappointed at all. This movie was great from the acting, to the gorgeous settings. The story was very touching at points and teaches both kids and adults many life lessons. However, timing was a bit of an issue, as the movie did not spend enough time on certain events and spent too much time on some. Other than that, I liked this movie a lot and this film really made me want to take my old legos and be a kid again. Expand
  66. Feb 21, 2014
    I enjoyed the film but not nearly as much as a lot of the critics. I would recommend this film for families, but I do believe some of the jokes fall flat. B
  67. Feb 21, 2014
    Fantastic fun, funny family movie. I would be suprised if we get a better animated movie this year, It was really funny for any age, and had a lot of heart. I would recommend this movie to anyone, and I realize it's still very early but the best movie period of 2014 so far. When I first heard about a Lego movie I thought it was a ridiculous idea that didn't really make sense to me...but they have certainly proven it was a great idea. Expand
  68. Feb 21, 2014
    Okay, Where to start. The Lego Movie did not live up to my expectations. I expected a perfect 10 from this movie. I don't think I'll ever live up to expectations ever again. This film took my expectations, and crushed it into a billion pieces. There were no big laughs. I only chuckled a few times. I expected HUGE laughs. But no. The film'ms animation was great. Except for the fact that the characters look like they're lagging a bit. The main problem for me with this film is I didn't feel very comfortable with it. What I mean is that the film didn't feel like a great film. Sure the animation was good, the humor was smart and the ending was semi-genius, but something about this film doesn't put it in my best movies of all time list. Plus the song in the beginning of the film was annoying for me. Okay, Lets talk about the ending. Don't worry, I won't spoil anything. Like I said earlier, The ending was semi-genius. By that I mean it's smart, but anyone could come up with that ending. And the moral of the film might be difficult for younger kids to understand. The two best characters were Emmet and Benny. Wyldstyle was cool and I liked Green Lantern too, but the rest of the characters were "Just Okay." The film didn't impress me but I would recommend you to see it. Expand
  69. Feb 20, 2014
    The LEGO Movie has set the bar insanely high for 2014, and it has only just begun. This movie performs so well that it will most likely be in the top 10 best of 2014, let alone the best animated flick. I loved it instantly within the first 20 minutes. It is filled with jokes just for adults, but had the playfulness to keep children entertained. Very rarely does a movie come along that blends those two so perfectly, let along an animated film. This movie also has most likely the best cast of 2014. It has Chris Pratt as the lovable lead and that he holds perfectly. His performance is supported by many fantastic actors, but the show is ultimately stolen by Will Arnett as Batman who becomes the audience favorite by far. The movie is also lathered in well hidden spectacular voice actor cameos that only certain fans will notice and understand. The movie is also stuffed with references to landscape and for fans that are Lego builders themselves. My favorite part about this movie is the animation style. It is done so superbly that it fooled almost everybody that saw the movie. The movie is CGI, but designed and looks like it was done in stop motion, it was so convincing, from the inside and out of the lego bricks, to the minor scratches on the characters face. The LEGO Movie doesn't just go down as one of my favorite movies of 2014, but as one of my top 3 favorite animated films of all-time. Expand
  70. Feb 20, 2014
    I would consider it offensive if this was labelled simply as a '100 minute commercial'. It may be made involving a corporate franchise, but it is there to teach, not to sell.

The LEGO Movie uniquely combines smart sharp satire towards examples like pop culture and consumerism, a charming voice cast voicing a whole array of interesting characters (if you look close enough, some of the
    characters parody the usual stock characters) and a morality tale. It not only subverts tropes, but also subverts expectations right until the end. It's difficult to see a film just once, especially when it contains so much humour and wit when mocking things left right and centre.

Everything I feel about this film is exciting. Animation can show itself to stand out in throwing out a non generic message involving politics, business and culture. The villain himself shows the audacity as a president to not only demonstrate his nefariousness, but impose his own ideologies with no room for creativity. Not only that, but the LEGO Movie also plays on the cliches of many outrageous tropes - how does it work out when a simple, ordinary construction worker is suddenly announced as the centre of the prophecy as 'the Special'? What happens when he encounters someone considered to be the 'manic pixie dream girl'? The split personality of the Good Cop Bad Cop is refreshing when it comes to two distinctively defined cops interrogating someone, and the gleeful decision made about Green Lantern after his film ultimately failed is dark but amusing.

However, when it comes to happy endings, even that doesn't remain the same. Even for the villain himself. It doesn't spit out the usual kind of messages - whether on the scale of the morality tale or the satire surrounding politics and the like.
  71. Feb 20, 2014
    Absolutely hilarious, Great film, Entertaining, Wether you are 7 or 50, its just great. The animation and story is carefuly and cleverly done, And the ending was lovely :,) WATCH THIS FILM RIGHT NOW
  72. Feb 20, 2014
    Probably the best animated/children's film I've ever seen. It was so funny and the stop frame animation was sooo cool!! Even the credits were awesome! Go see this film!
  73. Feb 20, 2014
    In terms of animated films that cater for young and old audiences this film is up there with Finding Nemo and Toy Story. It's imaginative, original and extremely funny. The story and characters are purposefully cliche which leads to a lot of parody of itself and other aspects of pop culture and visually it is a colourful creative joy. All of this is complimented by the fantastic cast of voice actors (Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Will Ferrell) that bring a suprising life to the characters themselves. If you want an idea of the humour then it's either a child friendly version of Family Guy or a mature version of Spongebob. Somewhere in between those two. Either way its inclusive and entertaining.
    The only way someone could not enjoy this film to some degree is if they were consciously trying to dislike it and even then it would be a challenge. Also the soundtrack will likely be stuck in your head for at least two weeks afterwards.
  74. Feb 19, 2014
    The LEGO Movie is fantastic and every child and adult how used to play with LEGO's as a kid should see. Its fun, curative and is visually something you will never see again.
  75. Feb 19, 2014
    Dire. I kept hoping things would pick up on account of the rave reviews this has been receiving, but it turned out to be an unfunny, unoriginal mess from start to finish. "Everything is awesome" -- it's the sort of thing you'll enjoy if you still think Lolcats etc are funny.
  76. Feb 18, 2014
    The lego movie is a fantastic departure from usual chosen one children's fare that provides a witty that young and old should watch the excellent voice talent from Chris Pratt, Jonah Hill, Morgan Freeman, Elizabeth Banks, and Will Ferrel.l
  77. Feb 18, 2014
    A movie that manages to stand straight against Pixar and still looks awesome. EVERYTHING IS AWESOME, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME
  78. Feb 18, 2014
    The popular building block toy has its own world in this typical animated adventure: an ordinary Lego figure ends up in a quest to save the world from an evil tyrant. There's a liberal sprinkling of in jokes and snappy grown-up references. The visual style is cluttered, none of the characters are particularly memorable and the many chases are lively but unfocused. The pacing starts to lag near the end. Still, the sometimes creative visuals and overall energetic approach should please eager young viewers, giving fans of the form plenty to play with. Expand
  79. Feb 17, 2014
    Amazing Animation, A Steady Plot, Wonderful Characters, Pleasant Humor, Is What Makes The Lego Movie My Favourite Film Tied With The Avengers Well Done Warner Brothers And Phil Lord And Chris Miller.
  80. Feb 17, 2014
    This was definitely a fun movie from the start, but there was nothing spectacular about it until 2/3rds through the movie when the story takes a very smart and unexpected turn that makes the movie special. This film could have been a 10/10 if the jokes were more impactful. A great blend of child and adult humor. Also, I can't get that song out of my head... "Everything is awesome!"
  81. Feb 17, 2014
    Everything IS awesome! The cheesy pop song that is the butt of numerous jokes in “The Lego Movie” also sums up the film perfectly. The animation is some of the most amazing melding of 3D and stop-motion I’ve ever seen, the voice acting is incredible and felt tailor made for the film, the film has the perfect blend of the funny stuff and the touching, heartwarming stuff and the story is a bright and shining example of true, unique creativity…plus, it’s all about the greatest toys ever created. So, it has that going for it as well. Expand
  82. Feb 17, 2014
    This film is absolutely fantastic. It's quite similar to The Simpsons in the way that if you watch it as a child, you'll love it, but if you watch it as an adult, you'll love it even more as there is some bits of humor that only adults will understand.
    This film is a must see.
  83. Feb 16, 2014
    If you are a kid, this movie contains a valuable lesson you must learn. If you are an adult who played with lego as a kid you will also enjoy yourself with this film. At the start it hints that it is going to be too children's cartoon for you to enjoy. But then it quickly develops in to something both adults and kids can take pleasure from.
    The concepts are kept simple enough for children
    to follow. But simple isn't bad. And there are more than enough in-jokes to keep adults laughing out loud for quite a while.

Will Farrell plays his part terrifically. Much like Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Conan films, he finds just the right balance to make it work. Its serious enough to be believable but relaxed enough it doesn't feel out of place. And considering he has actual face time in a movie 95% CG plastic lego men, it would be so easy to break consistency there.

I have two criticisms of the film. Firstly I though there should be more "Middle Zealand."
    Also as I write this I have the "everything is awesome" song stuck in my head. When you hear it you'll understand.
  84. Feb 16, 2014
    A great movie right up until the live action part sucked the life right out. It was neither believable or necessary and had the same effect as the PSA for anti-piracy and smoking before the film.
  85. Feb 16, 2014
    This movie has potential to be the movie of the year. It manages to appeal to both children and adults, with rapid fire humor, one liners, well done action sequences, and several carefully intertwined themes, this movie is one of the best I've ever seen. I expected little more than a 2 hour Lego commercial, but got 2 hours of action, humor, and meta awareness.
  86. Feb 16, 2014
    This film was a pleasant surprise. I went in expecting a fun movie with nostalgia of toys of the past. Yet, there was a deeper message I saw at work.

The underlying theme took a strong swipe at the police state and mindless consumer culture. The primary Lego world setting was a very controlling surveillance grid where inane TV shows are used to distract the public. Sound familiar?
    The contrasting world was an anarchic view of the world, albeit with rainbows and clovers.

Along with enjoying the theme of the hero saves the day, it was refreshing to see the concept of political extremes portrayed to a younger generation. Clearly the "best life" for humanity exists somewhere in the middle. Some rules are necessary for an orderly society, but we have gone down the wrong road with our Draconian state (started long before the current administration). But I digress.

There are additional themes of micro vs macrocosms, good and evil, etc. if I have any complaint, it was a but of an epic. But overall an enjoyable film.
  87. Feb 16, 2014
    Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship!Spaceship! Spaceship!Spaceship!Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship!
  88. Feb 16, 2014
    I have always loved LEGO, and I was looking forwards to seeing it no matter how bad it was. I even had a huge grin on my face all throughout the movie. It was funny, awesome, and had everything made with LEGO, even the animated explosions. It showed you can build anything with LEGO. Plus the ending warmed my heart like anything else. Easily the best movie of 2014, so far.
  89. Feb 15, 2014
    Wow. I felt actually bad and guilty after taking my child to see this. I felt like I just fed him McDonalds fries for dinner. I felt like he needed to read something quick. What a movie for the ADD crowd. One escape scene after another. Action so fast you cannot even tell what the heck is going on.Not that I really wanted to. All those stupid lasers being shot all the time. The story and script is awful and the jokes fell flat. There was no imagination put into the story or script whatsoever. The evil cop is called "Bad Cop". What a waste of time this movie was. And it kept going on and on and on. After being burned by Meteoritic on Wall E, Hugo and now Lego I will never trust it again. Expand
  90. Feb 15, 2014
    Absolutely loved it! I really enjoyed it when my girlfriend would look at me like I was crazy..
    The only thing that bugged me a bit was some of the animations.. on some scenes they could have used a few more frames for a more fluid motion, but all in all a wonderful movie!
  91. Feb 14, 2014
    What a great first movie of the year! The Lego Movie offers a variety of entertainment of people of all ages. It is on par with Toy Story's story, characters, animation, and everything that had made those movies so great. It is a kid friendly movie, with some innuendos that only adults or teens would get. Everything was so pleasant from this movie and I left wishing I was watching a movie like this when I was a child. 10/10 MUST SEE Expand
  92. Feb 14, 2014
    While not the greatest film ever, with a moral that's as predictable as the sun rising in the morning, The LEGO Movie is effortlessly charming and imaginative with a lot of well thought out details that brings the story together in a surprisingly touching manner.
  93. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie, I went to it as excited as can be. I find myself very lucky that my experience wasn't ruined by whiny smelly chatty gullible children, as there weren't any in the theatre.
    Anyway, onto the movie. I'm gonna say this, this movie is probably one of the best of 2014. It was really awesome, loved all the characters, the dialogue and the interactions between them was lovely. The events were awesome and the pacing of the whole movie was astonishing. And the animating was pretty mind blowing for a Lego Movie.
    But, here's the thing. This movie is, in hindsight, a 'Journey is better than the destination' case. But when watching it in the theatre, the ending kinda makes the events of the whole movie pointless. As none of it is real, and it's just Will Ferrell VS Will Ferrell's son. But it's still a good movie... And in some scenes, the combination of CGI and Stop-Motion kinda throws you off. Especially when the Stop-Motion-only bits are barely distinguishable from the CGI ones.
    Back to the good stuff. The whole idea of this movie is awesome, and the implications, along with the truth behind those implications seem too mature for kids, makes me kinda wonder what the writers were also constrained to, due to the movie's PG rating.
    Liam Neeson's performance (I'm not calling him Bad Cop, nope) was outstanding, and I'v never had as many feels for a factional character as this guy (Well, maybe Lee Everett).
    Morgan Freeman (Not calling him Vitruvius, either) did his role pretty awesomely, too. But Morgan Freeman, as an actor gets a free pass, no matter what. He's still really really great in this movie.
    Batman was also a nice character, a much needed change from the serious gritty dark Batman we're used to. And the Star Wars scene ...I literally started applauding right there.
    This movie, didn't need to be 3D. It barely used it beside the part where Liam Neeson shoots the screen. I can't wait to see 3D just go.
    Anyway, I'm going off topic here. This movie, as it's theme of 'unspecial' goes, is awesome!
    I'd give it a 9.2 just because of the ending, but for lack of a fractional voting system on this site, I give it a deserving 10/10. There needs to be way more movies like this, movies that know what they are and make the best of it, not movies like Kick-Ass 2 or Man Of Steel that are simply trying too hard.
  94. Feb 13, 2014
    In truth this is just an extended advertisement for the lego toy product. This visually fascinating and imaginative movie is totally undone by a boring story. Movie references and in jokes abound but cannot rescue it from the doldrums. The introduction of two human characters towards the end of the film does at least contextualise what has gone before to a satisfyingly positive conclusion. However, the hint of a possible sequel is a no no. Someone please ensure that all pieces are definitely locked away in a toy box. Expand
  95. Feb 12, 2014
    So first of all I was a little skeptical after hearing that a Lego movie was in the works. Then I learned that Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were writing and directing. That's when this movie got my attention. Now let me just make it very clear that I am a huge Lego fan and have been playing with it since I can remember.

I can with all the confidence in the world say, that this movie
    does NOT disappoint! Firstly the animation that's meant to look like stop motion looks phenomenal.It's hilarious and witty with great characters and for a story that's fairly formulaic, also has depth and emotion. Have to be honest, I kinda saw the twist coming but it's great nonetheless. The ending tugged my heartstrings much like Toy Story 3 did. All in all I walked out of the cinema, firstly singing "Everything is Awesome!" and secondly I checked it of my list as the best animation that I have seen. Expand
  96. Feb 11, 2014
    I really wanted to love this movie... really. Ultimately, however, I walked away with a headache and feeling significantly let down. I do not understand all of the outstanding reviews and praise the movie is receiving either, to be completely honest.

The visual effects, story, and voice acting in The Lego Movie are all superb! I will definitely give it that. Where the movie falls short
    though is in its execution - tedious and somewhat recycled scenes, humor reminiscent of Nick Jr. television shows, and a far too lengthy running screen time. There was maybe about 10 times throughout the film that I did get a hearty laugh in, but for the most part, I found myself trying, more than one should in a movie, to truly enjoy what I was watching.

If you have children, your experience might be different. Even if you don't, I believe the only way you'll know if you like it is to experience it yourself - it obviously, based on the wide praise, has been enjoyed by a great amount of people! As for me, this is one I can't quite manage to recommend, which is a shame. I truly hope your experience of The Lego Movie is better! Collapse
  97. Feb 11, 2014
    If you have kids this would be a great movie for you. It has funny childish jokes that kids would find funny but personally I didn't. But I have to admit that I did laugh at 1 or 2 jokes. Without spoiling to much I'll say that the story is hectic in the beginning it all comes together at the end. If you have kids take them to this movie.
  98. Feb 11, 2014
    This movie is absolutely wonderful, you could put it right next to a Disney movie, easily. I can see why some people didn't like it, with the old school animation, cheesy jokes and the fact that its centered around the product, but as for the people who hate it, they are just stereotyping the movie as a kids movie or an advertisement. To truly enjoy this movie you must have an open mind and treat it just like any other movie Expand
  99. Feb 11, 2014
    I went into this movie thinking it would be a stupid, generic kids movie with corny humor. What I got was SO much more. I can't even express to you just how ashamed I was at my pessimism before going into that movie. When I came out of that theater, I had laughed, I had cried, and I even had a few contemplative moments where I sat there to digest what I saw.
    To top everything off, this
    was definitely a theater movie because of all the extreme action sequences.

100% worth the money to go, take anybody with you, I promise you won't be disappointed.
  100. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I could have given this movie a 5 or 6 if it wasn't for the live action section. That aspect of the movie made for a huge shift in tone. It turned a silly lighthearted movie that didn't take itself too seriously into some serious moral tale. Except what the heck was the moral of the story? Always let your bratty kids have their way?

Apparently hardworking Business Dad gives up his (perfectly valid and not inherently evil) hobby in the end because his ill behaved son has no impulse control. The kid just can't stop messing with the father's models and the intricate city that he's built over time. Perhaps this is how Business Dad relaxes after a hard day at the faceless business office.

If the dad knew the kid was interested, in a real life situation he would have probably been thrilled and bought the kid his own Lego so he could contribute in his own way. Instead we have Business Dad acting in an unrealistic manner. If I saw correctly, it seems like the kid only gets already glued chunks of Lego to play with. Who would do that? Seriously? Why didn't Business Dad just buy his son some better Lego so he could share in the hobby and contribute in his own creative way? They don't really elaborate and instead focus on "Silly adults! Lego is for kids!"

At the same time, the kid is a brat and uses his sad puppy face to manipulate his father. This kid that knew the rules of the house (and has his own toys) destroys the meticulous work that his father did in the name of "I'M BORED GIMME MORE TOYS". If I remember correctly the father says this wasn't the first time the kid had messed with his models. Who buys bad kids more toys?

Did anyone else notice that when the father finally caves the kid doesn't want his little sister to play with his new Lego paradise, FOR THE SAME REASON the dad doesn't want his son playing with his models? Some lesson of sharing and open mindedness we've learned here... "Sharing is good as long as I get everything and give nothing!" Total hypocrisy. One of my laugh out loud moments was when I saw the kid's reaction to his dad's request and realized that it was "like father like son".

There are problems with the rest of the movie as well, lots of problems, but my original critique is too long to post here. The real problem that hamstrings this movie is that shift in tone and vague moralizing that makes no sense and ruins the magic.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Mar 3, 2014
    As a rule, movies about toys need to be approached with extreme caution; some of them have been bad enough to count as health hazards. This one is the exception.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Feb 18, 2014
    An unexpected joy.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Feb 10, 2014
    This is truly a movie that children and their parents can both enjoy for different reasons.