Warner Bros. | Release Date: September 22, 2017
5.2
Mixed or average reviews based on 86 Ratings
Watch Now
lrbohnertSep 22, 2017
When The LEGO Movie first hit theaters in 2014, audiences weren’t prepared for it’s refreshingly fast-paced, eccentric style of comedy nor its surprisingly emotional third act. Now, three years later, Warner Bros. has begun its first stepWhen The LEGO Movie first hit theaters in 2014, audiences weren’t prepared for it’s refreshingly fast-paced, eccentric style of comedy nor its surprisingly emotional third act. Now, three years later, Warner Bros. has begun its first step towards building out this unlikely franchise with The LEGO Batman Movie and, now, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, which hits theaters this weekend. While both films have managed to maintain the same comedic style and emotional themes of the original LEGO Movie, they’ve also both shown signs of how quickly this formula can start to wear thin.

Fortunately, The LEGO Ninjago Movie has a different enough backdrop and story to keep it from ever becoming too familiar or boring. Based on the LEGO property of the same name, Ninjago keeps the self-referential and parodical style of its two franchise predecessors, but swaps out the underdog and comic book movie settings of those films for a ninja-themed coming-of-age story. The result is an exuberantly told, if occasionally familiar and comedically uneven, story about a family learning how to come together for the first time.
Borrowing the same general plot of the Ninjago TV series, the film takes place in the titular island city where the citizens are left constantly in fear of the frequent destructive takeover attempts by the evil Lord Garmadon (Justin Theroux), a maniacal warlord hellbent on ruling over the city and everyone in it. And when the film begins, the only obstacles in his way are a team of six young ninja, led by Garmadon’s personal archenemy, the mysterious Green Ninja.
ceb1031Sep 22, 2017
Before delving into the merits of “The Lego Ninjago Movie,” it’s worth pausing to reflect on just how remarkable it is that the third film in a cinematic franchise based on plastic children’s construction toys comes with high expectationsBefore delving into the merits of “The Lego Ninjago Movie,” it’s worth pausing to reflect on just how remarkable it is that the third film in a cinematic franchise based on plastic children’s construction toys comes with high expectations attached. Before Lego launched its own film empire, other toy companies like Hasbro had established assembly lines of often profitable, invariably awful branded theatrical entertainments, and there was no reason to expect anything different from Lego. Yet 2014’s “The Lego Movie” and last spring’s “The Lego Batman Movie” surprised just about everyone by being smart, sophisticated, cognizant of their own synergistic origins, and most importantly, actual movies. That the Lego Cinematic Universe (LCU) became a recognizable acronym isn’t surprising; that it came to signify quality is almost miraculous.
Superficially, “Ninjago” is very much in line with its predecessors. Based on Lego’s ninja-themed original property – already a Cartoon Network TV show – the film is a hyperkinetic assault of eye-catching faux stop-motion animation; packed with clever, self-aware, and sometimes boldly absurdist humor; and all anchored by a father-son conflict that the film takes more seriously than is strictly necessary. Yet for the first time, the franchise’s house-style is beginning to show signs of wear. Whereas “The Lego Movie” and “Lego Batman” seemed to come by their cheeky irreverence naturally, the sketchier “Ninjago” sometimes strains to keep up the pace, with its anarchic sensibility now having the air of a mandate – and few tones are harder to maintain than “mandatory irreverence.” Still plenty entertaining and occasionally very funny, “Ninjago” nonetheless displays symptoms of diminishing returns, and Lego might want to shuffle its pieces a bit before building yet another film with this same model.
BitekOct 12, 2017
I do not understand negative reviews. The movie is fun. Animations are great, the plot is good. the movie really feels like you took Transformers and mixed it with Lego. nothing really to complain about. i will buy it once it is available on Blu-Ray.
moviemitch96Sep 24, 2017
Personally, I think the lukewarm response to this film is a little much. Yes, it's definitely the weakest LEGO installment thus far, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it mediocre, like what many critics and others have been saying so far. IPersonally, I think the lukewarm response to this film is a little much. Yes, it's definitely the weakest LEGO installment thus far, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it mediocre, like what many critics and others have been saying so far. I still found it to be quite enjoyable and amusing for the majority of it, and it still has that zany style that the previous two installments employed. But yes, I will admit that it has become a bit formulaic at this point. Nonetheless, it was still an overall enjoyable experience for me, even if it didn't have me laughing out loud too much like 'The Lego Movie' and 'The Lego Batman Movie' did for me. Expand
Captain_ChaosNov 1, 2017
The LEGO series strikes again. Ninjago is a (perhaps un)surprisingly poignant family tale with ninjas, robots and Jackie Chan. It shares its same striking stop-motion style with the other films but is somewhat narrower in scope, being aThe LEGO series strikes again. Ninjago is a (perhaps un)surprisingly poignant family tale with ninjas, robots and Jackie Chan. It shares its same striking stop-motion style with the other films but is somewhat narrower in scope, being a character-examining drama like LEGO Batman but lacking the same sense of wonder as the first film, probably only because it's the third one and we're not quite as amazed by the fact that LEGO movies exist anymore. Expand
OnlyAGreatOnlyOct 8, 2017
The LEGO Ninjago Movie, a big comeback. When the LEGO movie hit the 2014 goal, and the LEGO Batman movie hit the 2017 goal, hopefully the LEGO Ninjago movie can hit the goal,funny and entertaining.
MPReviewsMar 2, 2018
Short and to the point: don't listen to the critics. While it is proabably the weakest of the now trilogy of lego movies, it is still very enjoyable and worth checking out if you haven’t already.
PrimeCOApr 26, 2018
Why is this getting so much hate?! The story may not be as strong as that of Lego and Lego Batman, but the humor, total goofiness, and colorful supporting characters still have their wit and are enjoyable. I have to give this a 10 because ofWhy is this getting so much hate?! The story may not be as strong as that of Lego and Lego Batman, but the humor, total goofiness, and colorful supporting characters still have their wit and are enjoyable. I have to give this a 10 because of the highly underwhelming 4.9, it's still an enjoyable movie made of Legos, just like the first two! Expand
Creeper3455Oct 14, 2017
As Gotg Vol.2 told us:"There are 2 types of human beings in this this world: Those who dance,and those who don't.". This is how i would describe the quality of The LEGO Ninjago Movie. A (half) disappointment.
Though its quality doesn't make
Though its quality doesn't make it a true block-buster (just like the wonders of The LEGO Movie or the Bat-giggles of LEGO Batman),there's not that much to talk about issue-wise,given the fact that it's a Warner movie,and they usually have things under control. The plot of this movie is something you most likely don't want to mess with at times,altough it gets confusing,and it HARDLY tries to reach Pixar levels of emotion with its morals. Act 1 felt a bit Batman V Superman-ish tone-wise,but it still managed to be fun,as the jokes rolled in. Getting to the 2nd and 3rd act probably made the movie more energetic,as it was getting more and more interesting. Lloyd and Lord Garmadon luckily do something in the movie,but what about the other charachters (you know,Kai,Zane,Nya,Sensei and the others)? Oh yeah,they're just there to sell some atrocious puns (especially Zane. I get it,he's a robot,but the more puns he was saying,the more i was quickly putting them into Batman And Robin zone. Ever heard of 'Ice is nice'?). There's also a giant cat in some scenes,and that's one of the moments where the audience TRULY bursted out of laughter. And,as i said,the morals were pretty surprising for a kids' flick (yeah,ok,we already saw the 'try and get along with your'...Wait,try living without weapons and wars? A Cars 3-ish moral about being a trainer? Am i looking at Warner Bros. or is this Pixar?!?)
The animation is still great,even if you expected it,so yay? Tho,i was disappointed with some pieces of it,like the water and the forest being traditional and only Ninjago City being the only thing filled with LEGO.
There are some issues,as i said,with this movie. One of them being the score by Mark Mothersbaugh (SO. OUT. OF. PLACE.) and also the jokes,where it's a hit-or-miss.
The LEGO Ninjago Movie is definetly the worst LEGO Movie i saw so far,but that doesn't stop it from having a charming story and some decent jokes,as well as a bright animation. If they don't get The LEGO Movie Sequel right,then this and LEGO Ninjago could potentially be signs of the apocalypse for the 'now' LEGO Movie Franchise,but for now,let's enjoy our lives.
NolanLundgaardMay 12, 2018
Great movie! The Lego Ninjago Movie is not quite the must-see that its predecessors were, but it is still hilarious and it's plot is pretty good. I recommend it!
superlongearsMay 8, 2018
Laa-Loyd and his friends are soo funny! Admittedly, I started watching it because I was too lazy to get the remote... but I found myself LAUGHING HARD every minute. I mean, if you give this a poor rating check your pulse!
Let us not forget
Let us not forget this is 'animated', which in itself is a work of art. And the cast... Everyone is awesome!