6.7

1. Aug 30, 2013
    A masterpiece!!! I really loved that movie. Johnny Depp has a gift and that's why is the best actor in the world. Do not miss it!!! That's the true story of the second Earl of Rochester!
  2. Apr 27, 2014
    Absolute 10. One of my favorite movies. Great story, wonderful performances by all actors involved. Very Shakespearean feel, dark and moody, and also extremely sensual. I don't know why this movie wasn't given an Oscar. I guess movies about little known poets don't provide for a wide enough viewership. See it repeatedly. It will stay with you forever.

This one-of-a-kind spellbinder from first-time director Laurence Dunmore is not afraid to shock. Depp is a raunchy wonder, especially in a time-capsule-worthy opening monologue.
  2. Reviewed by: Leslie Felperin
    Starting out seductive but ending up tiresome, debuting director Laurence Dunmore's pic is an honorable misfire.
    Deep and Morton are really flying here (the scene in which the hero instructs the heroine in the passionate possibilities of her art), and they leave the rest of the film looking heavy on its feet. The second half, especially, grows dour and maundering, and by the end the movie seems to flail in desperation, more like a work in progress than like a finished piece.