The Libertine

6.8

1. TomB.
    Mar 21, 2006
    I dunno, it wasn't the worst movie I ever saw. It just wasn't very good. Suffered from very poor editing. When Depp is cast asunder by his dad, and he's playing a charlatan who has some potion that will cure the public's ills, he then has a bad eye. You figure it's something done to be 'in character' for the charlatan role. it's not - he's I dunno, it wasn't the worst movie I ever saw. It just wasn't very good. Suffered from very poor editing. When Depp is cast asunder by his dad, and he's playing a charlatan who has some potion that will cure the public's ills, he then has a bad eye. You figure it's something done to be 'in character' for the charlatan role. it's not - he's really sick, and he's gotten sick in the 6 months his father (the King) banished him. I could give you 10 other examples of that. Just really bad editing. Collapse
  2. P.MFox
    Nov 20, 2005
    Beautifully directed and costumed, but tedious. Depp plays a petulant teenager in a grown man's body spectacularly - sadly the plot, and indeed characters, do not do justice to the rich species of acting talent cast.

This one-of-a-kind spellbinder from first-time director Laurence Dunmore is not afraid to shock. Depp is a raunchy wonder, especially in a time-capsule-worthy opening monologue.
  2. Reviewed by: Leslie Felperin
    Starting out seductive but ending up tiresome, debuting director Laurence Dunmore's pic is an honorable misfire.
    Deep and Morton are really flying here (the scene in which the hero instructs the heroine in the passionate possibilities of her art), and they leave the rest of the film looking heavy on its feet. The second half, especially, grows dour and maundering, and by the end the movie seems to flail in desperation, more like a work in progress than like a finished piece.