7.1

1. Jan 17, 2012
    If you think the trailer is funny, then you will like this movie a lot. if not then you probably won't like the movie, its kinda funny because your not sure if its serious or not and follows a wierd niche of humor which i happen to like a lot. And it keeps finding ways to catch you off guard while still fitting with the consistent humor
  2. Jan 29, 2014
    Not everbodys cup of tea, but I love it. The film is as always with director Anderson semi-crazy, semi-funny and beautifully made. You simply don't have a clue were the story is going, you just ride with it and enjoy it. Actors Dafoe, Blanchett and Huston are great. The others are good. The music score is fantastic.
  3. Jul 25, 2014
    Tragically misunderstood. Like many great films, destined to be rediscovered and reevaluated. The humor, like the drama, is subtle but not inaccessible or unrewarding. Expect a bittersweet tone, hilarious if slightly subtle laughs, and earnest, almost stern, examination of flawed but likable people. Two-dimensional characters need not apply. The humor and visuals are very self-aware and detailed, with special effects that are intentionally stylistic rather than realistic.

Quote: "I'm going to fight it, but I'll let it live. What about my dynamite?"
  4. Apr 15, 2014
    My personal favourite Wes Anderson - hilarious, but sad, melancholy but colourful. Quite a slow film and yet very beautiful. Brilliantly directed, as always. And fantastically acted, particularly from Wilson and Murray.
    Recommend to all.
  5. May 9, 2014
    This is an odd one. At least according to Metacritic it's the worst movie. But it isn't! It has the perfect story, the perfect actors, the perfect shots. This is actually the only movie that all of my fellow Wes Anderson fans love.

1. Wonderfully weird and wistful adventure-comedy about a fish-out-of-water oceanographer.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    The effect is often soporific.
  3. Murray is always pleasurable company, and his barely suppressed soulfulness might've supported this dawdling big-fish story if its insistent larkiness had abated and let a little reality in, as had "Rushmore."