7.2

1. Dec 21, 2014
    I think the level of enjoyment The Life Aquatic provides comes from an overabundance of typical Anderson charm and style, with an added layer of energy. The movie is just so energetic, something constantly seems to be moving along. Anderson doesn't just apply his style; he lets it explode on screen. The titular Steve Zissou (Bill Murray) is easy to relate to, but also distant, in a goodI think the level of enjoyment The Life Aquatic provides comes from an overabundance of typical Anderson charm and style, with an added layer of energy. The movie is just so energetic, something constantly seems to be moving along. Anderson doesn't just apply his style; he lets it explode on screen. The titular Steve Zissou (Bill Murray) is easy to relate to, but also distant, in a good way. Like many of Anderson's characters, he has fallen into an abyss of loss and grief, but overcomes it by the end of the film. More so than Anderson's other films, The Life Aquatic flows like a dream. It's not even so much like a dream; more like a colorful cartoon. The visuals tend to be breathtaking, and when nothing grandiose is happening, the style still shines. This film isn't just fun, it's wondrous. It all works so well together, and has got to be the most thrilling, charming, and uplifting story Anderson has delivered to date. Expand
  2. Aug 11, 2014
    This is my favorite film by Wes Anderson, and one of my all-time favorite films period. It's colorful, witty, well shot and just a delight to watch. Bill Murray plays an egotistical prick that you empathize with more and more. Willem Dafoe is just brilliant here in my opinion, showing his comedic side to great effect. Little cinematic gems are peppered throughout the film. I want toThis is my favorite film by Wes Anderson, and one of my all-time favorite films period. It's colorful, witty, well shot and just a delight to watch. Bill Murray plays an egotistical prick that you empathize with more and more. Willem Dafoe is just brilliant here in my opinion, showing his comedic side to great effect. Little cinematic gems are peppered throughout the film. I want to be on team Zissou. Expand
  3. Jul 25, 2014
    Tragically misunderstood. Like many great films, destined to be rediscovered and reevaluated. The humor, like the drama, is subtle but not inaccessible or unrewarding. Expect a bittersweet tone, hilarious if slightly subtle laughs, and earnest, almost stern, examination of flawed but likable people. Two-dimensional characters need not apply. The humor and visuals are very self-awareTragically misunderstood. Like many great films, destined to be rediscovered and reevaluated. The humor, like the drama, is subtle but not inaccessible or unrewarding. Expect a bittersweet tone, hilarious if slightly subtle laughs, and earnest, almost stern, examination of flawed but likable people. Two-dimensional characters need not apply. The humor and visuals are very self-aware and detailed, with special effects that are intentionally stylistic rather than realistic.

Quote: "I'm going to fight it, but I'll let it live. What about my dynamite?"
  4. Jul 22, 2014
    I am surprised to see this one get the critical shunning it got of all Wes Anderson films, but nonetheless, I really liked it. This film is the blending of both Anderson worlds: family drama and comedy. The drama is touching, important, and well done. The comedy is hilarious and leaves you laughing for much of the film, whether through the intended jokes or the sheer quirkiness of theI am surprised to see this one get the critical shunning it got of all Wes Anderson films, but nonetheless, I really liked it. This film is the blending of both Anderson worlds: family drama and comedy. The drama is touching, important, and well done. The comedy is hilarious and leaves you laughing for much of the film, whether through the intended jokes or the sheer quirkiness of the characters, as in all Anderson films. Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Jeff Goldblum, Cate Blanchett, Anjelica Huston, and Willem Defoe (especially him), turn in great performances here. The production design is also brilliant as in all Anderson films. The exterior shots at the same time look real and at others look as if it they are all just toys in some child's bedroom with miniature people walking around, which is always the cool part about his films. This one, with the boat's exterior having this look, is no exception. In addition, the shots underwater in the submarine and very well done and extremely cool to look at. As a whole though, the film is beautifully shot as expected and brilliantly put together. Not much is going wrong with this one, the story is lacking a bit, but to me, it is just a jumping off point to get us into the wacky world of Steve Zissou and his crew. Expand
  5. Jun 25, 2014
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou has all the quirky, familiar elements of an Anderson film, but with less wit and intelligence than the rest of them. Just like the deep sea cruiser Team Zissou is in, the movie sinks and sinks until it reaches rock bottom. Murray and Wilson just barely make it watchable, even if the forced irony is over the top.
  6. May 9, 2014
    This is an odd one. At least according to Metacritic it's the worst movie. But it isn't! It has the perfect story, the perfect actors, the perfect shots. This is actually the only movie that all of my fellow Wes Anderson fans love.
  7. Apr 15, 2014
    My personal favourite Wes Anderson - hilarious, but sad, melancholy but colourful. Quite a slow film and yet very beautiful. Brilliantly directed, as always. And fantastically acted, particularly from Wilson and Murray.
    Recommend to all.
  8. Feb 24, 2014
    It retains many facets of Wes Anderson's movies, such as the humor and the eccentricity of the characters. Unfortunately, it was boring in many of its parts. I really think it would have benefited from a shorter length.
  9. Jan 29, 2014
    Not everbodys cup of tea, but I love it. The film is as always with director Anderson semi-crazy, semi-funny and beautifully made. You simply don't have a clue were the story is going, you just ride with it and enjoy it. Actors Dafoe, Blanchett and Huston are great. The others are good. The music score is fantastic.
  10. Jan 6, 2014
    Unfortunately, the wonderful excitement I usually get while watching Anderson movies faded after the first 55 running min. of "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" as I realised it will last twice as long as from now. After that it was kind of difficult to focus on the movie while not to get drowned into a dull mood. This film of his contained too much dispensable scenes. For my part,Unfortunately, the wonderful excitement I usually get while watching Anderson movies faded after the first 55 running min. of "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" as I realised it will last twice as long as from now. After that it was kind of difficult to focus on the movie while not to get drowned into a dull mood. This film of his contained too much dispensable scenes. For my part, Anderson movies should obviously maintain a shorter length. Expand
  11. Jan 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wes Anderson's, The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou takes the audience into the world of an aging oceanographer and documentarian by the name of Steve Zissou, played by Bill Murray. He is at a point in his life where his once profound ego is shattering before him and he questions his life's work. His best friend is eaten alive by a supposed "Jaguar Shark" and Murray and his film team will embark on one final expedition to find and kill the shark in the name of revenge.

While the storytelling in this movie can be rather slow at times it allows the viewers to create a better understanding of the protagonist of the film and some of the supporting characters. Murray fantastically portrays his character, showing how he deals with his reality around him and his ego, and how he reacts rather apathetically to them, although aware of them. Owen Wilson plays as Murray's supposed son, Ned, and portrays him to be a very likable character who simply wishes to know the father he always wanted to. The two share a decent at worst chemistry. Cate Blanchett plays as Jane Winslett-Richardson, a journalist who masterfully plays her part and serves as a minor romantic interest for both Murray and Owens. Bud Cort plays a "Bond Company Stooge", but instantly shows his characters great character and is very likable.

The plot does sometimes loose its focus, but never should leave you bored as it simply devotes parts of the movie not about the search for the shark to Murray's character and that of his crew. The way in which the sea life are portrayed and the soundtrack give the film a somewhat 'whimsical' factor, and fits the atmosphere of the film very well. The final reveal of the shark is also extremely well shot and acted.

In the end this film is somewhat of an unappreciated piece of art, and it should be watched by all those interested in plot and characters more than action and suspense.
  12. Jul 9, 2012
    The Life Aquatic is colorful, poignant and very, very funny. It has a high level of random insanity that never fails to induce chuckles. The cast is magnificent, the script is awesome and stuffed full of quotable lines and the effects are hilariously charming. This is one of Anderson's best movies and a must see for Bill Murray fans.
  13. Jan 17, 2012
    If you think the trailer is funny, then you will like this movie a lot. if not then you probably won't like the movie, its kinda funny because your not sure if its serious or not and follows a wierd niche of humor which i happen to like a lot. And it keeps finding ways to catch you off guard while still fitting with the consistent humor
  14. ALF
    Apr 3, 2011
    Sadly more rubbish inflicted on the public from Wes Anderson. This film is appalling, there are no redeeming qualities and I can only suggest if you wish to actually die of boredom, then watch this film. With the Royal Tennebaums it takes pride of place as being the joint worst film I have ever seen in my life.
  15. Nov 2, 2010
    This movie is fun specially if you like the cast and the style. It is not for everyone though. Many people, specially in these modern times, do not like slow movies and this one is pretty slow. I would recommend this movie to Wes Anderson fans and fans of indie movies.
  16. KevinM
    Mar 7, 2009
    This to me is the funniest and most heart warming of Wes Anderson's films.
  17. SueC.
    Sep 19, 2008
    Saw an edited for tv version last night. Brilliant, funny, understated, great cast chemistry, loved the orca acting like a pet dog begging for attention, very interesting plot/sub-plots with a surprise twist or two. I could watch it again immediately. Enjoyed the closing credits and music, but kept expecting 'Ned' to make a final appearance. Bill Murray, again, hits the mark. Saw an edited for tv version last night. Brilliant, funny, understated, great cast chemistry, loved the orca acting like a pet dog begging for attention, very interesting plot/sub-plots with a surprise twist or two. I could watch it again immediately. Enjoyed the closing credits and music, but kept expecting 'Ned' to make a final appearance. Bill Murray, again, hits the mark. One of the most underrated actors in my opinion. I will watch anything he's in. Goldblum, as ever, pulls off his role with tongue in cheek. And Bud Cort had me doubled over. Great depth. Lots of life and truth in rather improbable situations. Piracy, the high seas, romance - and no Johnny Depp or ghost ships. A slice of yummy life pie. A high-brow movie with heartwarming appeal. And the dedication at the end is in line with what I had been reminded of all throughout the movie. I would have rated 10 stars, but didn't get the whole movie version. Expand
  18. KristinaE.
    Jul 16, 2008
    VERY accurate portrait of a full-blown narcissist, but otherwise quite fragmented, bizarre and lacking in real deeper meaning. So many things seemed artificial, superficial, show-offy and unreal. Perhaps this was meant to mirror the empty narcissist? The relationships and feelings (and even deaths) seemed fake, even though the movie was crammed with different people, situations and VERY accurate portrait of a full-blown narcissist, but otherwise quite fragmented, bizarre and lacking in real deeper meaning. So many things seemed artificial, superficial, show-offy and unreal. Perhaps this was meant to mirror the empty narcissist? The relationships and feelings (and even deaths) seemed fake, even though the movie was crammed with different people, situations and relationships, that could have been explored in many interesting ways (but all of them remained one dimensional, although I'm convinced the excellent actors did their best with what they had.)But kudos to Bill Murray for excellently portraying the charm and ruthlessness of a true, fully self-absorbed narcissist! Expand
  19. DanielR.
    Feb 29, 2008
    This perfectly captures what makes Wes Anderson so great; deadpan humor, absurd plots, eye candy, and genuine emotion underneath.
  20. MikeC
    Feb 29, 2008
    One of Wes Anderson's finest films. It's a shame that the critics and most viewers just don't seem to "get it". But then again, its the same with all his movies, if one has the sense of humor as I do, his films are among your favorites.
  21. DougZ
    Dec 17, 2007
    I just don't "get it." This film sets a mood, but doesn't go anywhere. If the idea of a plot is optional, you'll love this film. I couldn't help but feel like characters were introduced just so the actors could work with Wes Anderson. Wes, you stole two hours of my life!
  22. RyanT
    Nov 5, 2007
    A beautiful movie about coming to terms with who you are.
  23. DennyE
    Jan 2, 2007
    A major comic misfire with no laughs and a distracting Murray. On the Criterion disc is an interview with both of the writers that will make you cringe with disgust and hate the movie even more. Anderson cannot get one sentence out of his mouth without name-dropping some obscure director, artist, musician, whatever it takes to make himself seem hip. On the bright side, it's not as A major comic misfire with no laughs and a distracting Murray. On the Criterion disc is an interview with both of the writers that will make you cringe with disgust and hate the movie even more. Anderson cannot get one sentence out of his mouth without name-dropping some obscure director, artist, musician, whatever it takes to make himself seem hip. On the bright side, it's not as bad as his American Express commercial. Expand
  24. JeffM.
    Oct 15, 2006
    I've enjoyed all of Wes Anderson's movies, and even loved one of them (Rushmore), but it was only a matter of time before he'd fall too in love with his own sense of ironic whimsy. Aquatic is never boring (with that cast, how could it be?), but the story never shakes the feeling that they're making it all up as they go along.
  25. JackW.
    Oct 11, 2006
    This was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It doesn't surprise me that so many people didn't 'get it' ... the mixing of stories; the esoteric humor and heavy irony make the movie unreachable to some. As an ex-zoologist who grew up watching the efforts of countless nature documentarian wanna-be's I was able to connect with the movie on an This was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It doesn't surprise me that so many people didn't 'get it' ... the mixing of stories; the esoteric humor and heavy irony make the movie unreachable to some. As an ex-zoologist who grew up watching the efforts of countless nature documentarian wanna-be's I was able to connect with the movie on an entirely different level. (Of course knowing that the over the top species in the film were done in stop action animation - with a tip of the hat to Ray Harryhausen, no less - certainly didn't hurt either!) This is one of those stories where we the viewers are left to fill in many blanks. And that, to me, is often what can make a movie truly engaging. Not only that, but the entire way that he movie is shot, the dialogue, the flow of the story, the images makes one feel not that they are watching a story unfold, but rather that they are looking into the imagination of someone who is hearing the tale as told by someone else. A brilliant flick, but not surprisingly not for everyone as you have to work and think to get the full value here. Expand
  26. Petey
    Sep 10, 2006
    We watch Anderson deflate myths about heroes and hero-worship, and still arrive at a beautiful and heart-felt ending, one that affirms our quests, as absurd and ego-driven as they may often be. I agree that he's a filmmaker that too often chooses style over narrative (The Royal Tenenbaums is a perfect example, and my least favorite), but he's got a unique vision of our desires, We watch Anderson deflate myths about heroes and hero-worship, and still arrive at a beautiful and heart-felt ending, one that affirms our quests, as absurd and ego-driven as they may often be. I agree that he's a filmmaker that too often chooses style over narrative (The Royal Tenenbaums is a perfect example, and my least favorite), but he's got a unique vision of our desires, nostalgia, and the images they attach themselves to. Noah Baumbach's insights into how our desires exceed our capabilities (making us look like real jerks, all too often) ground all of the work they've done together. I suspect most people couldn't appreciate the connection between the mannered aesthetics of the film, and the themes it addresses. Expand
  27. JockM.
    Aug 3, 2006
    I grew up watching Jaques Cousteau(sp?) films. I really enjoyed this film for the nostalgia value alone. It faithfully captures the atmosphere of the documentaries and then takes us behind the scenes to see the absurd, vain and scientifically bankrupt process by which they were produced. The plot is about as thin as tracing paper, but this is more than made up for by superbly sensitive I grew up watching Jaques Cousteau(sp?) films. I really enjoyed this film for the nostalgia value alone. It faithfully captures the atmosphere of the documentaries and then takes us behind the scenes to see the absurd, vain and scientifically bankrupt process by which they were produced. The plot is about as thin as tracing paper, but this is more than made up for by superbly sensitive portrails from the principal players. Top flick in my book! Expand
  28. OLuc
    Jul 27, 2006
    Though this movie isn't exactly the masterpiece that "Lost in Translation" was, the movie is still a very smart Bill Murray comedy that has the nice whimsical feel of Wes Anderson's previous films. Though it has been considered a flop by most critics, I still fully enjoy the film, and always find something new to admire everytime I watch it. A favourite from the year 2004.
  29. SamD.
    Jul 1, 2006
    ummm, i turned this movie off. i started watching it BY CHOICE and i really wanted to see it, but it was just bad. i liked the wife character, but that was it.
  30. GregA.
    Apr 25, 2006
    The only good thing about this movie was that I didn't have to pay for it, so the only damage done was wasting my time and some mild cranial bruising from beating my head against the wall.
  31. MikeG.
    Apr 15, 2006
    My favorite movie. The irony kills in this movie.
  32. JonB.
    Apr 10, 2006
    The wry humour and suppresed pace of this movie may alienate or plain annoy some people. But the joy is in the detail, cell animation, soundtrack, cinematography - this is truly well crafted film, the nut's and bolts are often palpable - something lost on the majority of todays cinema goers.
  33. DavidB.
    Feb 22, 2006
    This is one of my favorite movies. If this is a failure, I'll take a Wes Anderson failure over 97% of the successes out there. Makes you feel good for two hours, though it doesn't make you laugh like an idiot. But really, who belly-laughs anyways? If you sit there with a checklist as to what comprises a good film, of course you'll be lost. But what classic movie This is one of my favorite movies. If this is a failure, I'll take a Wes Anderson failure over 97% of the successes out there. Makes you feel good for two hours, though it doesn't make you laugh like an idiot. But really, who belly-laughs anyways? If you sit there with a checklist as to what comprises a good film, of course you'll be lost. But what classic movie doesn't depart from convention? This movie, to me, is like two hours of that delicious tension you feel right before a punchline is delivered. On repeated viewings, you begin to realise that exploring the setup can be as fulfilling as racing to the gag. Having said that, there is a lot of traditional laughs here. "Be still, Cody," for example. But come on, every single line here is gold. Watch it fifteen times. So true, in its way. Expand
  34. RitaP.
    Jan 26, 2006
    Was disappointed by this especially after the royal tenebaums i was expecting a lot more from Wes Anderson.
  35. AJCAST
    Dec 30, 2005
    From the begining, this movie created multiple levels of intrigue and delight. The ocean is full creatures, ideas, and images that defy reason, astound our sensiblities, and destroy any terrestrial notions of order. I enjoyed watching this movie as much as I enjoy snorkeling a reef. Drift along and enjoy each new scene for its own stunning visual beauty, or borrow from whatever literary From the begining, this movie created multiple levels of intrigue and delight. The ocean is full creatures, ideas, and images that defy reason, astound our sensiblities, and destroy any terrestrial notions of order. I enjoyed watching this movie as much as I enjoy snorkeling a reef. Drift along and enjoy each new scene for its own stunning visual beauty, or borrow from whatever literary nautical myths to reveal something monsterous under the surface of every-mans soul. In my case, the good ship 'Belafonte' may as well been named 'Serendipity'. Expand
  36. GaborA.
    Dec 10, 2005
    Mildly amuzing throughout but not very funny. Too often wierdness and psuedo dramtic elements are used to distract from the fact that not much funny is happening.
  37. IanA.
    Nov 22, 2005
    Quite an enjoyable watch. Some funny laughs but mostly an interesting style of storytelling and filming. The sound quality is very bad at some points and had us questioning what was said.
  38. PatC.
    Sep 26, 2005
    Interesting and original concepts keep one waiting for the story to take off. All the pieces come together, but none of them click into place. Harmless, but with chemistry between the actors prohibited during production. Not even Cate Blanchett can save this. I blame the director and editor. It should have worked.
  39. CareyS
    Aug 20, 2005
    It's rare that I see a movie so bad that I actually look up the critics on the DVD box that gave it favorable ratings just to see if those people actually exist. The movie was supposedly a comedy, but there was nothing funny about it. The most humorous thing was Bill Murray saying "Remind me to send him a red cap and a speedo" (meaning make him a member of our team) when he found It's rare that I see a movie so bad that I actually look up the critics on the DVD box that gave it favorable ratings just to see if those people actually exist. The movie was supposedly a comedy, but there was nothing funny about it. The most humorous thing was Bill Murray saying "Remind me to send him a red cap and a speedo" (meaning make him a member of our team) when he found someone he liked. The absurd thought of him sending someone a red cap and a speedo brought a mild chuckle (the biggest laugh I could manage), but how exactly is that "intelligent" humor as the people who like this movie call it? Is it "smart and quirky" when Bill Murray and his team wear pajamas to the beach at night to film creatures that wash up on the shore? I think not. I find it stupid. Oh, I see the attempt at humor, but it fails miserably. If I could give this movie a -1 I would. Save yourself the boredom and the pain. Skip this one. Expand
  40. JackS.
    Aug 20, 2005
    This movie was absolutely horrible. On the back cover of the DVD a guy named Glenn Kenny with Premiere gives it 4 stars, and a guy named Richard Schickel of Time says it's the "Best Comedy of the Year". I will NEVER trust a review by either of them. I think I managed one slight barely audible chuckle throughout the film.
  41. RobS.
    Aug 14, 2005
    I have found that Anderson's films resonate a LOT more on second viewing, and that was the case with Aquatic. I think the first time you see Tennenbaums or Aquatic, you are just trying to work out the rules of each film's universe. The rules are intentionally "off" in order to make the pathos that much more stunning when it descends. When Ned dolefully rejects Zissou's I have found that Anderson's films resonate a LOT more on second viewing, and that was the case with Aquatic. I think the first time you see Tennenbaums or Aquatic, you are just trying to work out the rules of each film's universe. The rules are intentionally "off" in order to make the pathos that much more stunning when it descends. When Ned dolefully rejects Zissou's attempt to substitute a nickname rather than be addressed as 'father' ("It doesn't mean the same thing.") I blinked back a tear. That's the brilliance of Wes Anderson. The jokes aren't the stuff of Caddyshack and drama is melo-, but out from these colorful tableaus his odd characters nevertheless are able to reach out to the audience and deliver solid emotional punches. And this flick *is* funny, too. To wit, Zissou's solemn promise to his financier: "I will hunt the shark, but I will not kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" :) Expand
  42. DanC.
    Aug 5, 2005
    Wes Anderson succeeds in creating a fully-realized world of heartbreaking sadness and subtle humor. To the critic who said it's a comedy with everything but laughs, you're right: it's a much deeper, more satisfying kind of atmospheric humor, without a single belly laugh. And much the better for it. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed the film, which I delayed seeing because Wes Anderson succeeds in creating a fully-realized world of heartbreaking sadness and subtle humor. To the critic who said it's a comedy with everything but laughs, you're right: it's a much deeper, more satisfying kind of atmospheric humor, without a single belly laugh. And much the better for it. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed the film, which I delayed seeing because of lukewarm reviews. Now I wish I had trusted Anderson, as he has never failed to deliver in the past. I think his skill at putting his off-kilter vision of life on the screen is at its best here. Luke Wilson is a perfect foil for Bill Murray, and is able to create a commanding, quiet presence in a way that is quite distinct from Murray's own subdued, masterful performance. Rarely have I been more satisfied by two hours of film. See it and decide for yourself. Expand
  43. JustinB
    Jul 28, 2005
    Seems people are setting this up as a comedy and then complaining that it isn't funny. Well it's not a comedy, it's a quirky drama and it works pretty well, although not on the level of the Tenenbaums, I'd agree.
  44. JimM.
    Jul 24, 2005
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life! What drugs were those critics on??? A waste of the four dollars spend to rent this bad bad bad turkey.
  45. bbcar
    Jul 16, 2005
    Wonderful, dead-pan Bill Murray in a whimsical spoof of Jacques Cousteau. Everything in this movie is updside down while the characters swim through this great spoof.
  46. JamieG.
    Jul 13, 2005
    Painfully awful. As a huge Bill Murray fan, I kept waiting for something funny to laugh at, and yet, it never materialized. Some will say, "You just don't get it." Well, there was nothing to get...just a horrible disaster of a movie.
  47. GeraldT.
    Jul 9, 2005
    A movie with no place important to go and too much time to get there. A few smiles but way too cute and hip. Could not force myself to finish this idiotic, drone.
  48. PeterJ.
    Jul 8, 2005
    The movie was so idiotic I could not stop laughing. I think you have to be older (I am 33) to really appreciate the wry humor imvolved. Anyone 21 and younger will probably hate this movie.
  49. AlistairD.
    Jul 5, 2005
    One of the funniest films if ever seen. I am recently converted to the works Wes Anderson and i think this is his funniest if not his best work yet.
  50. ronc.
    Jul 3, 2005
    Very poor! Not funny!
  51. ChrisB.
    Jun 19, 2005
    An excelent movie. A bit too quirky and subersive with it's humor for some, but my kind of movie. Film of the year so far for me, and yes i've seen sideways, million dollar baby, batman begins and most other great films this year. I love this movie. Murray puts forward an excelent performance, as does Owen Wilson. Genuinly touching and simply and utterly well made. You owe An excelent movie. A bit too quirky and subersive with it's humor for some, but my kind of movie. Film of the year so far for me, and yes i've seen sideways, million dollar baby, batman begins and most other great films this year. I love this movie. Murray puts forward an excelent performance, as does Owen Wilson. Genuinly touching and simply and utterly well made. You owe yourself if you like good films, to see this one. Expand
  52. MichaelA.
    Jun 14, 2005
    Convoluted story meanders and leaves you unsure why you were supposed to care.... Wes Anderson's least impressive to date.
  53. GarthS.
    Jun 14, 2005
    It was genius i mean the previews gave a total different thought on what itd be like but in no way was it a bad thing. This movie was genius and touching and yes it was funny.
  54. jbyers
    Jun 6, 2005
    Awesome movie. very paced in its comedy.
  55. MichaelE.
    May 23, 2005
    The artifice was uneven. Sometimes it blended in with the rest of the film and worked perfectly. Sometimes it didn't blend in, but worked very well despite, or because of the way it stood out. But at other times it just seemed to be out of sync with the rest of the film. That said, I loved the film. Wes Anderson consisently makes smart, thoughtful, and funny movies.
  56. HeathR.
    May 18, 2005
    What most people don't realize about this movie is that you can't just watch it once. it's the small hidden gems in each scene and line that make this a 10. it is my favorite Wes Anderson movie and after a couple of watchs, it'll be yours too! "Be still Cody, Be still."
  57. RicoD.
    May 17, 2005
    Wes Anderson movies just keep getting worse and worse. Even all the quirky star power doesn't save this disaster. My advice: skip this and see Rushmore again.
  58. PedroL.
    May 15, 2005
    Sorry about my really por english, but i really want to post about this awesome movie: This movie is really strange... it isnt fantasy, but also i isnt reality.. its beyond, a movie about feelings and realationships on a unique adventure. Wes made an unique film and a must see. THanks for this movie, i'll see you today again (3rd time) :D.
  59. KyleW.
    May 13, 2005
    A review I read in Sight & Sound pulled their own metaphor from the movie that I found interesting. Towards the beginning when Zissou fights the photographer and inadvertaintly pops the bag the crayon-pony fish was in and he then drops it into a cup and carries it away. This could be scene as a metaphor for the films of Wes Anderson. An interesting creature obviously not of this world but A review I read in Sight & Sound pulled their own metaphor from the movie that I found interesting. Towards the beginning when Zissou fights the photographer and inadvertaintly pops the bag the crayon-pony fish was in and he then drops it into a cup and carries it away. This could be scene as a metaphor for the films of Wes Anderson. An interesting creature obviously not of this world but trapped in a small quarters to only swin around in the same water forever. Now don't get me wrong, The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favorite films of all time but Anderson needs to move on. In Rushmore when Max Fisher wrote and directed plays but the movie was segmented by curtains giving the impression that life is also a play you're writing every second I thought it was very insightful and brilliant; however, if we move forward two films he's still trying to tap into that same well with the Belafonte being divided in half so you get the feeling they're on stage. Judging this film alone, it's a very creative gesture that doesn't tie in completely but is certainly welcomed. But when you look at the rest of Anderson's repotriore you see it's just variations on the same expression. Despite that, there is oringinality to this film though. For instance Tenenbaums was a very slow paced film where not really anything happened plot wise (as most character studies are). So to go from that to a " high seas adventure-comedy" is a nice step forward. As well as all the stop-motion sea-creatures making this Anderson's most surreal film to date. But aside from that the main piont of the film is still the same. Poor excuses for fathers and people who are too involved in their own worlds to see beyond themselves (although the addition of a character like Ned is a nice twist to the Anderson gang). As much as this failure to develop bugs me, my only legitamate complaint though is, like with most people, the script. Now I know this is not an ensemble cast piece like Tenenbaums but even the secondary characters need more room to breath. All the sedondary characters are interesting (Ned, Klaus, Elenore, Jane, and Alistair if you wish) and diverse enough however Anderson doesn't let them stretch beyond "what they can do to serve/avoid Steve". Tenenbaums was written brilliantly with a perfect balance between everyone. So I don't know if i should be blaming the new co-writer Baumbach, or maybe just Wes slipped up in editing. Regardless it's still a wonderful film, no masterpiece and you can tell he can do much better although the direction is still top notch so nothing to complain about there. His next film is going to be Ronald Dahl's "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" and will be done in all stop-motion. So it seems our beloved director will infact finally move on Thank you. Expand
  60. MelanieP.
    May 13, 2005
    This movie was fantastic! I sorta liked it the first time I saw it, but the second time was even better!! I loved the directing in this movie. The camera shots are absolutely fantastic; especially the sequence when they're walking through all the rooms on the ship.
  61. ChrisH
    May 10, 2005
    Keeping in the spirit of all Wes Anderson movies this delivers dry, perfectly timed humor at an overall slow pace. Bill Murray is on top of his game still and had me rolling in my seat from start to finish. A must see in my book.
  62. CraiganU.
    May 10, 2005
    Wes Anderson provides a checklist of all things fun and fascinating to a little boy--he surrounds Zissou with hot air balloons, hand guns, sharks, submarines, ships, bare breasts, pirates, planes, a pregnant woman. While perhaps not matching the dream-like quality and more immediate message-accessibility of Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums, when focused more on the former and when Wes Anderson provides a checklist of all things fun and fascinating to a little boy--he surrounds Zissou with hot air balloons, hand guns, sharks, submarines, ships, bare breasts, pirates, planes, a pregnant woman. While perhaps not matching the dream-like quality and more immediate message-accessibility of Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums, when focused more on the former and when appreciated as what Zissou's childlike experience of the world may be like--The Life Aquatic becomes buoyantly alive. Expand
  63. NicoS.
    Apr 15, 2005
    I wanted to give this movie a 10, I really did. Wes Anderson is a genius. Pure genius. But The Life Aquatic was uneven and sometimes completely ridiculous. The Royal Tenebaums was a perfect match of whimsey and sad/funny realism, but The Life Aquatic has jumped the deep end.
  64. ChadS.
    Mar 26, 2005
    Yeah, Wes Anderson is arch. Willem Dafoe is, no doubt, named after Klaus Kinski, and his nephew is Werner, as in Herzog; the director of "Fitzcarraldo" and "Aguirre, Wrath of God". It's been said that the two men had a love/hate relationship and entertained the idea of killing each other. Is there a connection between the Herzog documentary "My Best Fiend" and Esteban's death. Yeah, Wes Anderson is arch. Willem Dafoe is, no doubt, named after Klaus Kinski, and his nephew is Werner, as in Herzog; the director of "Fitzcarraldo" and "Aguirre, Wrath of God". It's been said that the two men had a love/hate relationship and entertained the idea of killing each other. Is there a connection between the Herzog documentary "My Best Fiend" and Esteban's death. Steve's "Best F[r]iend" dies in one of his documentaries, and if you've seen "Fitzcarraldo", death was very much a real possibility. But this sort of trivia doesn't make "The Life Aquatic w/Steve Zissou" a great movie. It's very funny, in an arch way, yes, but you don't have to be hipper-than-thou to enjoy Anderson's brand of humor; because isn't everybody growing tired of jokes relating to poo, vomit, and semen; or laughs born from the scatalogical, the homophobic, and racist ideologies. Expand
  65. KennedyF
    Mar 18, 2005
    Oddly amusing upon first viewing; becomes brilliant upon repeated viewings.
  66. mrbolano
    Mar 11, 2005
    I give this movie a 10 mainly to rail against the hacks who drag the average down by force their intellectual film insecurities onto people who enjoy films by giving ratings of zero or one or two. Hey, it's not about who is smarter. Open up a little and realise that there is something out there in this world for everyone. And if you don't like it, that's okay. But I give this movie a 10 mainly to rail against the hacks who drag the average down by force their intellectual film insecurities onto people who enjoy films by giving ratings of zero or one or two. Hey, it's not about who is smarter. Open up a little and realise that there is something out there in this world for everyone. And if you don't like it, that's okay. But don't try and rationalise other people's enjoyment into some sort of psuedo intellectual us poor white honest folk versus the elite up themsleves scum argument. Will Anderson is an original film maker even if everything he makes doesn't succeed wholly. Just let it rest at that. Expand
  67. LeeW.
    Mar 1, 2005
    Terrible movie. Like a thousand sharpened knives attacking my eyeballs. It tries to be different, tries to invent a new humour. I feel that only pretentious people who are anti-mainstream, anti-Oscars, anti-entertainment will enjoy this movie, and therefore hate all those movies that ARE entertaining and all people that HATE this movie. If you read some of the reviewers who have given Terrible movie. Like a thousand sharpened knives attacking my eyeballs. It tries to be different, tries to invent a new humour. I feel that only pretentious people who are anti-mainstream, anti-Oscars, anti-entertainment will enjoy this movie, and therefore hate all those movies that ARE entertaining and all people that HATE this movie. If you read some of the reviewers who have given this movie 10, (such as Nupe M.) you will see that instead of saying why this film is good, they simply say those who don't like it are idiots. They pretend to be smarter than everyone else because they enjoyed/understood this movie (such as many Donnie Darko fans). But, as with Donnie Darko, you can pretend to make sense of it as much as you can, but you won't succeed. This movie is not good. It is awful. Boring. Dull. Different, but only in a bad way. Expand
  68. VinceH.
    Feb 28, 2005
    This movie feels too hermetic...too closed in and shut out from any real life. I understand it is not meant to exist within the realm of real life, but even the storytelling lacks in that field. This movie has neither the subtle details and hilarious character moments from "Rushmore" or the poignancy and wit of "The Royal Tennenbaums". This movie is certainly unique and original, and This movie feels too hermetic...too closed in and shut out from any real life. I understand it is not meant to exist within the realm of real life, but even the storytelling lacks in that field. This movie has neither the subtle details and hilarious character moments from "Rushmore" or the poignancy and wit of "The Royal Tennenbaums". This movie is certainly unique and original, and Robert Yeoman's photography is brilliant in every way, Anderson seems to be too concerned with being surreal and weird and not care much about character, plot, or story. While in The Royal Tennenbaums, the strange and odd elements were blended into the fabric of the overall frame of the story with Royal reconnecting with his children, it felt natural. Here certain scenarios and character quirks feel forced and uneasy, as if Anderson had a good idea for a scene, and then infused it with unneccessary elements just to make it more strange. Overall a big disapointment. Terrific soundtrack though. Expand
  69. JeffL.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Self-indulgent, oddball misfire of a comedy from the usually brilliant Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums) about an aging American oceanographer/filmmaker (Bill Murray as Zissou) who makes Cousteau-like documentaries about his own adventures. His latest effort is plagued by budget problems, pirates, a pregnant BBC reporter (luminous Cate Blanchett), and the appearance of a Self-indulgent, oddball misfire of a comedy from the usually brilliant Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums) about an aging American oceanographer/filmmaker (Bill Murray as Zissou) who makes Cousteau-like documentaries about his own adventures. His latest effort is plagued by budget problems, pirates, a pregnant BBC reporter (luminous Cate Blanchett), and the appearance of a grown-up son (Owen Wilson) he had never met. I loved the look of this film, from the deliberate artifice of Zissou's ship (a marvelously detailed and amusing set) to the fantastical, candy-colored sea creatures animated by Henry Selick (Nightmare Before Christmas). I also enjoyed the supporting performances of Blanchett, Willem Dafoe (as an overly sensitive Germanic crew member), and Anjelica Huston (as the estranged Mrs. Zissou). But the film lacks the heart of Rushmore, which was blessed with Murray's warmest performance and Jason Schwartzman's star-making turn; nor does it have Tenenbaum's sharp wit or weirdly affecting take on the strength of family (even a rather dysfunctional one.) I enjoyed this in fits and starts, but for all its abundance of ideas, not nearly enough of them work to fill a rather poky 118 minutes. Expand
  70. EricH.
    Feb 18, 2005
    The kind of movie that makes you just plain "PISSED" after you struggle to stay awake to finally realize you've completely wasted 2hrs of your life.
  71. rodp.
    Feb 16, 2005
    Unbelievable disapointment, you will laugh once, thats it. should not be classified as a comedy. worst movie bill murray has ever been in, and i love his movies, was looking forward to this, the clips in commercials give you the wrong impression of what kind of movie this is. saw it with my 14-15 year old nephews, my 37 year old brother and my 60 year old dad, we all agreed that even for Unbelievable disapointment, you will laugh once, thats it. should not be classified as a comedy. worst movie bill murray has ever been in, and i love his movies, was looking forward to this, the clips in commercials give you the wrong impression of what kind of movie this is. saw it with my 14-15 year old nephews, my 37 year old brother and my 60 year old dad, we all agreed that even for a hundred dollars a head, we would not sit through that movie again. this will be the low point in bill murray's career. attack of the killer tomatoes was more entertaining. Expand
  72. KarenW.
    Feb 10, 2005
    A total waste of time. Bad script, bad acting, no laughs.
  73. AlexR.
    Feb 1, 2005
    Rushmore is in my top 5 films of all time. Since then Anderson has done little but disappoint me. He seems to be more interested in art direction than telling a story. Bill Murray looked as bored as I felt. I hope that he can somehow return to his earlier form.
  74. SusanM
    Feb 1, 2005
    Oh. My. God. What a disappointment. I love Bill Murray, but you know what? I couldn't stand him or the film. Total waste of time and talent. This was not worth the money, nor was it worth the two hours of my precious time. Not funny. Not entertaining. Not clever. Just stupid and pointless.
  75. NateR.
    Jan 31, 2005
    Wes Anderson creates the most surreal, creative, and humorous film to grace the screens of 2004.
  76. MarkB.
    Jan 31, 2005
    I honestly do not get Wes Anderson, and I get the Wes Anderson cult even less. There's a definite base of filmgoers (some of whose opinions I truly respect) who find tremendous profundity and poignancy in Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums; I've always found them to be mildly amusing but rather off-puttingly chilly gagfests. Anderson doesn't really direct I honestly do not get Wes Anderson, and I get the Wes Anderson cult even less. There's a definite base of filmgoers (some of whose opinions I truly respect) who find tremendous profundity and poignancy in Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums; I've always found them to be mildly amusing but rather off-puttingly chilly gagfests. Anderson doesn't really direct films as much as he stages tableaux; he's a filmmaker whose visual style I think is better suited for a different medium altogether:committee-written and produced parody trade bestsellers like Jon Stewart's current smash America (The Book) or the National Lampoon's legendary 1964 High School Yearbook (although both of these works are much funnier and, frankly, have a great deal more genuine heart). Nevertheless, Anderson's films up to now still provided a reasonably entertaining night at the movies, largely because of the droll acting performances, especially Bill Murray's in Rushmore and Gene Hackman's in Tenenbaums. Well, the ride is officially over: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is a near-complete disaster in almost every department. An unbearably overextended treatment of a one-joke premise saddled with an unbelievably selfish, irritating and unlikable title character (Murray), Life Aquatic meanderingly details the professional and personal perils of a Jacques Cousteau-like documentary filmmaker who takes his crew and various hangers-on on a voyage to kill the shark that ate a friend and crew member, and capture it all on film. I know it's usually not right to include the reactions of the audience I saw the movie with in my response to it, but I feel compelled to report that the 25 or so people in attendance at my showing laughed so few times, you'd think they were watching House of Sand and Fog! From the annoying, repetitive and nearly endless petty squabblings of all the supporting characters (Anjelica Huston, Owen Wilson, Jeff Goldblum, Cate Blanchett, etc.) to the distracting gimmick of having Henry Selick (The Nightmare Before Christmas) animate all the fauna (a tactical mistake, because their scene-stealing only further illuminates how threadbare all the stuff going on in front of, behind and all around them is), Life Aquatic is in nearly every way the work of a man who has started to take his own press clippings to heart and is making us suffer for it. Appreciate whatever tiny bits of nourishing plankton DO happen to float by: Willem Dafoe's delicatessen accent is a riot; Sev Jorge does a truly showstopping on-ship rendition of David Bowie's Space Oddity;and I loved the gorgeous handpainted posters of Zissou's various earlier documentaries that we see early on (actually, I wouldn't mind owning one!) And Ms. Huston, as Zissou's estranged wife, is still--nearly two decades after Prizzi's Honor--an amazingly sexy actress; she looks so good in a strapless gown that it almost compensates for the absolute torture of having to watch Murray with his shirt off every fourth scene or so. Three big questions remain: 1.) Since Anderson collaborated with a different screenwriter than Owen Wilson this time, does that make Wilson the real genius behind the Anderson oeuvre? 2.) If (1.) truly is the case, and Wilson IS a genius, then why does he keep making all those crappy comedies with Ben Stiller? And finally, 3.) Why are critics and filmgoers more or less giving Anderson a pass for doing more of the same, only worse...but when M. Night Shyamalan released a 2004 movie that pretty much adhered to all of Shyamalan's trademark characteristics, he gets treated like he kidnapped and killed the Lindbergh baby? Expand
  77. NupeM.
    Jan 31, 2005
    This is Wes Anderson's all time best movie. Although some may say that Rushmore or Bottle Rocket are better, I would propose that The Life Acquatic represents a culmination of the genre that Anderson has created. As you can see by the reviews, some people simply don't get it (alas, it a tad bit more subtle than XXX or Fast and Furious). But, if you like smart, quirkily funny, This is Wes Anderson's all time best movie. Although some may say that Rushmore or Bottle Rocket are better, I would propose that The Life Acquatic represents a culmination of the genre that Anderson has created. As you can see by the reviews, some people simply don't get it (alas, it a tad bit more subtle than XXX or Fast and Furious). But, if you like smart, quirkily funny, unnerving yet imminently compelling characters and stories that represent real human emotion, you'll love this movie. Expand
  78. richl.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Truly bizarre, with incredibly vibrant sets, indirect but powerful subliminal humor and a killer soundtrack! if you like yours a little offbeat, and think there may be humor in a consistently stoned bill murray, as well as the works of david bowie in portugeuse, your $9.75 will go unwasted at your local multiplex monstrosity.
  79. DaveV.
    Jan 26, 2005
    For the first time in Wes Anderson's career he seems more interested in the set and costumes than the characters. it seems like every scene in the movie is set up to show just how clever Anderson is. The cast is game, but they have very little to work with.
  80. RRMullen
    Jan 25, 2005
    Either you get this humor or you don't. This s/b an Oscar nominee- if the Oscars weren't poof.
  81. JohnC.
    Jan 25, 2005
    A movie that is NOT the same old same onl. Its so different its good. If you like the UNordinary then try this one out for size. Its fun, adventurous and full of surprises.
  82. PeterB
    Jan 25, 2005
    I just don't get Wes Anderson. If rasping away at ironically comic situations until they aren't even remotely funny is what he is trying to accomplish, then he has, with this tedious movie, proven his mastery. The laughs are few - even those subtle laughs you enjoy days later. The only thing I won't forget about this movie is my determination to not waste my moneym or more I just don't get Wes Anderson. If rasping away at ironically comic situations until they aren't even remotely funny is what he is trying to accomplish, then he has, with this tedious movie, proven his mastery. The laughs are few - even those subtle laughs you enjoy days later. The only thing I won't forget about this movie is my determination to not waste my moneym or more importantly, my time on another Wes Anderson film. Expand
  83. MikeW.
    Jan 21, 2005
    Best movie of the year.
  84. ChrisP
    Jan 19, 2005
    Self-consciously ironic, coldly artificial, almost completely unfunny and boring as hell. This isn't a real movie, it's like an idea of a movie. Anderson should set his sights on a fact-based story next time to get out of this arty quagmire he's mired in.
  85. Goddaeus
    Jan 19, 2005
    This movie is extremely dry, which I love. Bill Murray and Angelica Houston do a great job in this film. One downside is that the film is a bit slow and the funnier parts are the previews. But if you're a fan of Bill Murray or dry humor I would recommend this picture.
  86. JesseR.
    Jan 19, 2005
    This movie is by far the best that any type of cinema has or will ever have to offer.
  87. BobF.
    Jan 17, 2005
    I love Bill Murray but this is one of the five worst movies I have ever seen! It's horrible!
  88. brianf
    Jan 15, 2005
    Peculiar and whimsical, this film is a refreshing break from pretentious American film maker savants who take their art too seriously.
  89. Mark
    Jan 15, 2005
    The weirdness of Anderson films is begiinning to be predictible, as are the characters Murray is playing in his recent films (Anderson or otherwise). Everything is essentially a permutaion of Rushmore, which is not really a bad thing at all, but don't expect originality. Those criticisms aside, 'Aquatic' is still miles ahead of most movies churned out by Hollywood, and is The weirdness of Anderson films is begiinning to be predictible, as are the characters Murray is playing in his recent films (Anderson or otherwise). Everything is essentially a permutaion of Rushmore, which is not really a bad thing at all, but don't expect originality. Those criticisms aside, 'Aquatic' is still miles ahead of most movies churned out by Hollywood, and is most enjoyable. Expand
  90. JustonE.
    Jan 14, 2005
    This film was one of Wes Anderson's best films ever made. It was funny, but very original. If he does get at least a nod for an oscar shame on the academy.
  91. Candice
    Jan 14, 2005
    I expected a little more out of Wes Anderson.... enjoyable, and funny. Does not compare to Tenenbaums
  92. JessicaL.
    Jan 13, 2005
    Brilliant and hilarious to say the least. Anderson's subtle and charming humor demands the attention and intellect of the viewer, yet ultimately proves worthwhile.
  93. GabrielL.
    Jan 12, 2005
    A joy to watch from start to finish. Everyone in it shines. Angelica Houston and Cate Blanchet are two of the loveliest women on the planet. William Dafoe is adorable as Klaus. Owen Wilson charms, despite a bad Kentuky accent. The Portugese translations of Bowie songs by the ships safety expert, Pele (Seu Jorge) along with Mark Mothersbaugh's original score and Anderson's usual A joy to watch from start to finish. Everyone in it shines. Angelica Houston and Cate Blanchet are two of the loveliest women on the planet. William Dafoe is adorable as Klaus. Owen Wilson charms, despite a bad Kentuky accent. The Portugese translations of Bowie songs by the ships safety expert, Pele (Seu Jorge) along with Mark Mothersbaugh's original score and Anderson's usual selection of perfectly placed songs, make the film a pleasure to listen to from the opening frame to the end of the closing credits. Bill Murray provides the tone for the entire movie in his character. If the movie strays into unprotected waters, it's because that's how Steve Zissou runs his ship. Zissou's crew is charming, eccentric, and mostly incompetent. Anderson has such a way with these types of characters that he can just send them out to sea together and know that no matter how disatrous the results, it will be damn entertaining. Also, I loved the fake-as-hell fish. Expand
  94. SW
    Jan 12, 2005
    Yes, it is quirky -- but boring nonetheless.
  95. burtonm.
    Jan 12, 2005
    Another bill murray/wes anderson gem. Funny, different, wierd, excellent.
  96. SuzannaK
    Jan 11, 2005
    Wow! What a great time. Everything about this was terrific. The ship cutaway set- wonderful, and I loved the way it was used. The characters were as delightful as the sea creatures. The soundtrack was brilliant and the editing was perfect.
  97. AnthonyP.
    Jan 10, 2005
    Dafoes character is a riot! he's worth the price of admission alone.
  98. JohnF.
    Jan 10, 2005
    If you enjoy very random humor, then this is the movie for you. Most of the comedy you have to watch carefully for, but if you catch all of it, you will be laughing histarically.
  99. erika
    Jan 10, 2005
    "The Lifeless Aquatic." Anderson is caught in a serious case of plagurizing, from himself. "Aquatic" recycles too many elements from his previous efforts, and the result feels like a half-hearted misfire. There's quirkiness, but no real humor. The characters fall flat, left adrift in a nearly nonexistent story. Anderson seems to feel like Murray's character, a man lost at sea "The Lifeless Aquatic." Anderson is caught in a serious case of plagurizing, from himself. "Aquatic" recycles too many elements from his previous efforts, and the result feels like a half-hearted misfire. There's quirkiness, but no real humor. The characters fall flat, left adrift in a nearly nonexistent story. Anderson seems to feel like Murray's character, a man lost at sea with no passion for what he's doing. A shameful waste of talent all around. Expand
  100. PrestonF.
    Jan 10, 2005
    Wonderful , thoughful and funny movie.

1. Wonderfully weird and wistful adventure-comedy about a fish-out-of-water oceanographer.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    The effect is often soporific.
  3. Murray is always pleasurable company, and his barely suppressed soulfulness might've supported this dawdling big-fish story if its insistent larkiness had abated and let a little reality in, as had "Rushmore."