8.6

1. YoonMinC.
    Oct 10, 2003
    Wonderfully animated but otherwise very stupid movie, even for kids. I know it's a cartoon but why are all the animals happily greeting the birth of a lion cub? And, why if the King and Queen lions sound black, does the cub sound like Matthew Broderick? Stupid pompous cartoon for kids. And the songs suck.
  2. Jul 24, 2012
    Funny how Disney and Pixar can make films and get praised for them. I mean, I love the songs - Hakuna Matata is my favourite - it's understandable though that they can say it's merely 'a coincidence' that this is similar to another animation and obtain a huge profit. It's unfair how companies like this can prey on the smaller ones for the sake of it. They can add these certain things toFunny how Disney and Pixar can make films and get praised for them. I mean, I love the songs - Hakuna Matata is my favourite - it's understandable though that they can say it's merely 'a coincidence' that this is similar to another animation and obtain a huge profit. It's unfair how companies like this can prey on the smaller ones for the sake of it. They can add these certain things to films, but I'm not saying that they're bad. I love how they can inject humour into animation, which I only really saw when Timon and Pumbaa were on the screen, and actually make the characters work, but this doesn't mean it's completely original. I don't think The Lion King can actually be given a higher score, because, although it did work, it didn't feel like they had done it themselves. Expand
  3. Nov 18, 2011
    The Lion King has great characters and a lot of memorable songs. I think that the story is thin and short though, which makes the idea of the film very simple.
  4. Aug 12, 2014
    "The Lion King" deserves praise for its unique animation design and its messages about "the Circle of Life". A decent attempt to create a picture both thought-provoking and suitable for all audiences. Its main weaknesses are an overall short and somewhat shallow plot and some stereotypical characters, as well as some disturbing views about monarchy. Its soundtrack is the culmination of"The Lion King" deserves praise for its unique animation design and its messages about "the Circle of Life". A decent attempt to create a picture both thought-provoking and suitable for all audiences. Its main weaknesses are an overall short and somewhat shallow plot and some stereotypical characters, as well as some disturbing views about monarchy. Its soundtrack is the culmination of Disney's using pop music in its productions, and some songs are very good, even a bit commonplace and perhaps unevenly positioned throughout the film. A good attempt that was slightly overrated because of its simplicity and wide approachability. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rob Humanick
    Sep 12, 2011
    Although far from the worst offender in Disney's canon, The Lion King is nevertheless host to many of the less savory qualities common to the studio's output.
  2. For all the undeniable merits, it somehow feels manufactured, and thus, to a degree, calculated - the product not of a collective imagination taking esthetic chances, but of an imaginative collective putting the rivets into a well-wrought plan that can't go awry.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Faires
    It's a thumping good adventure.