8.6

1. Mar 19, 2015
    AHHHHHHHHHHH SEVENYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

AHHHHHHHHHHH SEVENYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

To start off, this is the movie your kids deserve to watch and nothing less quality if you want to like good movies in the future. I kid kid, but although I give this movie a 8, it's actually more of a 8.5 for me. The movie is easy to understand and it was purposely made for youth so don't get so uptight about this movie not being Shawshank or Inceptionlike. That being said, this review is for those who haven't seen it.
    Music...easy A man. This is stuff that you should know even in your sleep. It's a kid movie so expect the musical aspect to seep in here and there. Sing along too or else you're just not experiencing what the producers made

Plot/Characters: im 20 years old and I'm still not ready to accept some of the scenes but I know that every movie needs a basic problem and solution. That being said, this is a timeless work.

I appreciate that the writers actually took time to research the animals and setting shown in this movie. That is bonus points for me when someone does their homework and executes perfectly.

If i had to describe this movie in one word, it would be: rainbow. The reason for that is that you will feel all those colors in the rainbow throughout this movie. Yes, it's animated but don't let that ever dictate what is good.

Watch this with a friend and call up a homie that has seen this before. I recommend calling up the crew to get that singalong going on.
  2. Mar 5, 2015
    Deeply heartfelt and pure. A stunning movie. .
  3. Jan 11, 2015
    If you haven't seen this movie, then you definitely need to watch it this instant! It's a spectacular film with plenty of laughs for kids and even hidden themes for adults. Definitely a Disney classic.
  4. Dec 18, 2014
    The Lion King is my number one favourite Disney film of all time, I'm dead serious. It was hands down the best Disney film I had ever saw in my entire life. It has a great storyline, interesting characters, vibrant art and terrific animation, brilliant music and songs, they were so catchy and memorable. And the voice acting was also very good, except for Matthew Broderick who is theThe Lion King is my number one favourite Disney film of all time, I'm dead serious. It was hands down the best Disney film I had ever saw in my entire life. It has a great storyline, interesting characters, vibrant art and terrific animation, brilliant music and songs, they were so catchy and memorable. And the voice acting was also very good, except for Matthew Broderick who is the weakest actor of the game, giving Simba a pretty bland voice, but Simba is still a decent character. My favourite characters are Mufasa because he is the best character of the film, he had a fatherly personality and he wishes that Simba can be the future king, James Earl Jones gave a great performance for Mufasa, which gave him a deep and powerful voice similar to a lion's roar and also Timon and Pumbaa the comic relief meerkat-warthog duo, they were likeable characters and pretty funny as well and taught Simba to forget everything of how bad the past was, like my favourite song Hakuna Matata which was catchy and lighthearted in my opinion which reminds me of Bare Necessities from The Jungle Book, but different tunes and lyrics. The only flaws are Simba and Nala who are the weakest and blandest characters of the movie, but not that bad at all, and that's it. Only one flaw and that's it! This movie is a masterpiece. I gave this movie a 10/10. Expand
  5. Sep 3, 2014
    The king of Disney indeed. The Lion King marks the pinnacle of Disney's Renaissance of the 1990s, and the best film to come out of that studio ever. Taking its roots from Shakespeare and Hamlet, it is more grown-up and epic than one would expect. Definitely one to keep on your DVD shelf.
  6. Aug 12, 2014
    "The Lion King" deserves praise for its unique animation design and its messages about "the Circle of Life". A decent attempt to create a picture both thought-provoking and suitable for all audiences. Its main weaknesses are an overall short and somewhat shallow plot and some stereotypical characters, as well as some disturbing views about monarchy. Its soundtrack is the culmination of"The Lion King" deserves praise for its unique animation design and its messages about "the Circle of Life". A decent attempt to create a picture both thought-provoking and suitable for all audiences. Its main weaknesses are an overall short and somewhat shallow plot and some stereotypical characters, as well as some disturbing views about monarchy. Its soundtrack is the culmination of Disney's using pop music in its productions, and some songs are very good, even a bit commonplace and perhaps unevenly positioned throughout the film. A good attempt that was slightly overrated because of its simplicity and wide approachability. Expand
  7. Jul 7, 2014
    An amazing masterpiece of animation by Disney. With such power and thought into it, it's no wonder this film is as acclaimed as it is. The voices fit the characters perfectly, the music's rhythm coincides perfectly with the tone of the movie. And Timon and Pumbaa ease the tense moments with pure hilarity. As amazing as Hamlet itself.
  8. May 12, 2014
    The Lion King is the best ever Disney movie and the best animated movie of all time. It is an emotional and heart warming journey. The Lion king showed what a powerful and stunning film it was in 1994 and why to this day it is still the best Disney movie of all time.
  9. Apr 28, 2014
    This classic Disney movie has catchy songs, wonderful colours and lovable characters! Obviously it is one of the disney movies to feature death, which I think in a way is good to ease children into the idea of it.
  10. Apr 22, 2014
    One of the best animated Disney films ever (if not the best), puts Frozen to shame. It is also one of the most successful films ever (not only animation). Great story, great message, amazing characters, iconic moments, probably the best Disney soundtrack ever and several heartbreaking and emotive scenes. The minutes at the beginning when Mufasa talks to his son alone are so full of beautyOne of the best animated Disney films ever (if not the best), puts Frozen to shame. It is also one of the most successful films ever (not only animation). Great story, great message, amazing characters, iconic moments, probably the best Disney soundtrack ever and several heartbreaking and emotive scenes. The minutes at the beginning when Mufasa talks to his son alone are so full of beauty and depth. Or just the first 5 minutes where we get introduced to the whole experience thanks to the amazing and unforgettable main song beat almost any other animation film in recent years. The Lion King is in the top 20 of most successful films ever adjusting by inflation. Frozen does not even make it to the top 100. That gives you an idea of the phenomenon it was. So deserved. Expand
  11. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Lion King is probably not my absolute favorite Disney film, but it's still a piece of my childhood I will always cherish. The story is outstanding, the characters are unforgettable; of course there is really nothing I am saying that hasn't been said before. That scene at the end where Simba walks up Pride Rock to become the new King still gives me chills to this day. If you have not seen The Lion King, you really should, it's one of Disney greatest films, however I do like some others a bit more Expand
  12. Mar 8, 2014
    Very good plot, with an unforgettable music and makes you think about the blows of life. I do not see bad things, but on the contrary, this great, amazing, wonderful and serious, but I do not give 10, and I'll tell you why: the movie itself is good, but the characters like Scar and the hyenas were disturbing , desperate and perverse. You can not think clearly about the attitude of theseVery good plot, with an unforgettable music and makes you think about the blows of life. I do not see bad things, but on the contrary, this great, amazing, wonderful and serious, but I do not give 10, and I'll tell you why: the movie itself is good, but the characters like Scar and the hyenas were disturbing , desperate and perverse. You can not think clearly about the attitude of these characters, I was left stunned. And the other characters did not cause me any grace, except Mufasa, which was great, but the others are ridiculous or strange, this was the only bad thing about this movie. Expand
  13. Jan 23, 2014
    I watched this wonderful masterpiece when i was only six years old. Up to now i have still remembered every detail about it, about the story that i know inspired millions of people not only children but also adults all around the world. This is like "The Godfather" for children, with a little exception that it is bright, funny and, most importantly, humanitarian. I think even grown-up menI watched this wonderful masterpiece when i was only six years old. Up to now i have still remembered every detail about it, about the story that i know inspired millions of people not only children but also adults all around the world. This is like "The Godfather" for children, with a little exception that it is bright, funny and, most importantly, humanitarian. I think even grown-up men can learn something meaningful from Disney's greatest animation - The Lion King. Expand
  14. Dec 14, 2013
    I grow up with this and my children's will, too. I have no intention to make them watch the (sorry) of cartoons of these days. This is just a masterpiece. Extremely funny, engaging, colorful, intelligent. Immortal.
  15. Nov 15, 2013
    It surely isn't the best Disney movie but it's still a powerful and emotional adventure. In my opinion, the film will be more appropriate for grown-ups. I'm not saying that kids shouldn't see this, it's just that adults might find the themes in the film more understandable and suitable.
  16. Nov 6, 2013
    Disney's greatest movie. Every song in this movie is at worst extremely good, with Circle of Life and Can You Feel the Love Tonight just being amazing; the worst song in this movie is better than most musicals' best songs by a fairly wide margin.

Amazing, beautiful animation, a solid story, strong characterization, good flow it just works.
  17. Sep 19, 2013
    A classic tale of "survival of the fittest", The Lion King is an all-time classic for the ages that will never die and will remain as one of the best animated movies ever made.
  18. Sep 18, 2013
    One of the biggest hits created by Disney in 1994 was The Lion King. This movie entices children with its memorable songs and fantastic characters. It is one of Disney’s greatest musicals, even though there are some scary moments. Despite the few violent scenes, the overall messages portrayed are hope, love, family, and responsibility. This film is a great choice for children as well asOne of the biggest hits created by Disney in 1994 was The Lion King. This movie entices children with its memorable songs and fantastic characters. It is one of Disney’s greatest musicals, even though there are some scary moments. Despite the few violent scenes, the overall messages portrayed are hope, love, family, and responsibility. This film is a great choice for children as well as adults.
    The film is about Simba (Jonathon Taylor Thomas) and how he “just can’t wait to be king.” That being said, his evil Uncle Scar (Jeremy Irons) is extremely jealous of his brother Mufasa (James Earl Jones) because Mufasa is the king of the jungle. His extreme jealously gets the best of him, and Scar has Mufasa killed by a stampede and makes Simba feel responsible. Simba, feeling overwhelming guilt and despair, then runs away and becomes friends with Pumbaa (Ernie Sabella) and Timon (Nathan Lane) who teach him that the best philosophy is “Hakuna Matata”, which means no worries. Simba is having the best time while with Timon and Pumbaa. He feels free and great about himself because he has nothing to worry about. Simba grows up thinking he has escaped his childhood until his old friend Nala, who is living under Scar’s leadership, finds him and tells him that the tribe has been having severe issues.
    The Lion King was originally inspired by William Shakespeare’s play, Hamlet. The Lion King’s themes and imagery relate to cultural and political situations in the United States and Africa. Along with this, many parts of the film resemble a famous Japanese television show Kimba the White Lion. Two characters in this show are Kimba and Simba. In The Lion King, the camera angles and composition are almost identical to this television show. The voice of Simba almost believed he was working on a remake of Kimba because he was familiar with the show. The movie is mainly about lifestyle choices and collective responsibility. This is where the majority of the movie got several of its ideas.
    The protagonist, Simba, starts off as a rebellious character whom then grows up and learns to accept his responsibilities instead of seeking revenge. The characters in the film are always filled with energy which shows how much hard work went into each character and their personality, looks, and overall appearance. Each character has there own appealing look and personality, which draws so much attention to them. Along with this, they each have a voice that is very engaging to listen to. The characters have comical senses of humor and perform each scene in a joyful way. When Mufasa emerges in a cloud for Simba and talks to him, he gives Simba hope and inspires him to go and regain his throne. This scene shows how family is always there for you, even when all hope is gone. Not only are the characters funny, but they have a meaningful and serious side as well.
    The Lion King is a spectacular film for all ages. Although the movie is a cartoon, it is appealing to adults as well because it has a message behind it that can captivate even the oldest of audiences. Even if the children do not grasp the entirety of the overall message, they still love the film because of its entertainment. It keeps you interested the entire time and captivates everyone into feeling compelled to finish it. The directors and producers used great sounds effects and were able to get the audience to sing along with them. The colors and their brightness that was used enhances the film and makes it much more enjoyable and fun to watch. Every scene has an attracting look and amusing music, which always makes it pleasurable to watch. They used music to connect the funny scenes back to the overall message such as “Circle of Life” and “Hakuna Matata”. Circle of Life is played during the ceremony when Simba is born and at the end for Simba and Nala’s newborn club. Simba is baptized here and the whole kingdom comes together to see him. Hakuna Matata is played when Simba arrives at the jungle home and continues to play during a sequence in which Simba grows up. This shows that Simba puts his problems behind him and lives the life he wants. The music makes a child not want to take their eyes off the screen because of the energetic characters and catchy rhythm. The filmmakers used animated programs to show their visuals. The stampede scene was created in a 3D computer program so the characters could be multiplied. The visuals are very clever and give off a fun, loving, and spirited tone. The movie is presented with amazing animation, music, and choreography. The animators of the story studied real-life animals for reference and some even journeyed on a trip to Africa. This assisted in how the animators made the characters act during many of the scenes. This also helped them to better understand the animal environment and way of life. A wildlife expert visited the studio to help the writers with the animal behavior and to help the artists with their drawings. Brenda Chapman, one of the story heads, said that writing an original story is very challenging because there is nothing to fall back on.
    The Lion King displays that if one is in a dark place, be strong and take the next challenge as it comes. Each character has there own way of doing this, which makes the film so much more interesting to watch. The film portrays many different ideas and responsibilities making it a movie for everyone to watch and enjoy with a lesson learned. The writers created a wonderful original story. The filmmakers did an incredible job with the characters, scenery, and animation. The Lion King is a warm, loving, fun film that everyone should have a chance to see.
  19. Apr 20, 2013
    Amazing movie, set the bar for modern-day animation, really stays in your heard for years after you watch the movie, with exceptional work on soundtracks by the brilliant Hans Zimmer. The characters are depicted extremely well, making viewers empathetic with characters like Simba, Mufasa, Zazu etc. Overall, this is a great movie and will be remembered for generations.
  20. Mar 27, 2013
    If you have not seen this movie, do so. The Lion King is my favorite movie ever, on all levels. It's not just a fantastic kid's movie. It's a movie that just about all people can enjoy. There are no flaws that bring down this movie whatsoever. Every single level of production goes way beyond its expectations. From the excellent main cast to the classic musical numbers, everything aboutIf you have not seen this movie, do so. The Lion King is my favorite movie ever, on all levels. It's not just a fantastic kid's movie. It's a movie that just about all people can enjoy. There are no flaws that bring down this movie whatsoever. Every single level of production goes way beyond its expectations. From the excellent main cast to the classic musical numbers, everything about this movie is memorable. This film should be used as a tool for up-and-coming animators who want to make movies at the same level of this movie. There aren't any movies that are as good as this, and there never will be another movie that even surpasses this movie in quality. The Lion King is an epic masterpiece that takes so many risks and overcomes all of them. Expand
  21. Mar 12, 2013
    My words are not necessary! I'm sure you watched this masterpiece...if you haven't seen it, then do it now! The soundtracks are amazing! The story is very instructive and emotional, a pure perfect Disney classic!
  22. Feb 16, 2013
    With it's amazing animation, great voice acting, funny humor, amazing music, and stunning visuals this movie is a masterpiece and is worth seeing many times.
  23. Feb 7, 2013
    Honestly, The Lion King may not get the highest rating from me but it will always be my favorite animated movie of all time. Star studded cast that does their job well, Great and memorable songs, Likeable characters. Only thing I don't care for was the casting of Matthew Broderick as the adult Simba, I didn't feel that he fit the part well. Aside from that, It's a great movie and onceHonestly, The Lion King may not get the highest rating from me but it will always be my favorite animated movie of all time. Star studded cast that does their job well, Great and memorable songs, Likeable characters. Only thing I don't care for was the casting of Matthew Broderick as the adult Simba, I didn't feel that he fit the part well. Aside from that, It's a great movie and once again, My favorite animated film of all time. Expand
  24. Feb 2, 2013
    One of Disney best movies. Simba and Mustafa are awesome characters and the story is heartwarming. Animation's best movie is the Lion King, screw the Aladdin and Snow White, this is the best Disney movie of all time!
  25. Nov 17, 2012
    A wonderful work of animation that is vibrant with color, song, and a stellar emotional core.
  26. Nov 9, 2012
    If you don't like The Lion King than I don't like you.
  27. Jul 24, 2012
    Funny how Disney and Pixar can make films and get praised for them. I mean, I love the songs - Hakuna Matata is my favourite - it's understandable though that they can say it's merely 'a coincidence' that this is similar to another animation and obtain a huge profit. It's unfair how companies like this can prey on the smaller ones for the sake of it. They can add these certain things toFunny how Disney and Pixar can make films and get praised for them. I mean, I love the songs - Hakuna Matata is my favourite - it's understandable though that they can say it's merely 'a coincidence' that this is similar to another animation and obtain a huge profit. It's unfair how companies like this can prey on the smaller ones for the sake of it. They can add these certain things to films, but I'm not saying that they're bad. I love how they can inject humour into animation, which I only really saw when Timon and Pumbaa were on the screen, and actually make the characters work, but this doesn't mean it's completely original. I don't think The Lion King can actually be given a higher score, because, although it did work, it didn't feel like they had done it themselves. Expand
  28. Jul 18, 2012
    I seriously can't find any flaws. It's a masterpiece. It has great visuals, a touching and epic story, and many songs and sequences that make you cry not only out of nostalgia, but also because it's just so touching.
  29. May 6, 2012
    Who would believe this is my first time watch this classic Disney jewel in the crown and the location was ruefully in the plane. After last year's mega-successful re-entering into 3D multiplexes, clearly it becomes more urgent for me to cancel it from my unfinished masterpiece list (there are more horrifying ones on my list which I wish I could show it here). THE LION KING is a timelessWho would believe this is my first time watch this classic Disney jewel in the crown and the location was ruefully in the plane. After last year's mega-successful re-entering into 3D multiplexes, clearly it becomes more urgent for me to cancel it from my unfinished masterpiece list (there are more horrifying ones on my list which I wish I could show it here). THE LION KING is a timeless artwork, it's technical index could not remain its cutting-edge 2D advances in 1994, the story nevertheless is in perfect pitch for audience from every degree of ages, the HAMLET-inspired plot could feasibly find more evocation with adult groups while the colorful appealing is irresistible for youngsters. It's an archetypical win-win Disney Animation. The narrative is tightly intriguing, the O.S.T. is top-notch although I can hardly admit Elton Johnâ Expand
  30. Apr 2, 2012
    An absolute masterpiece. A truly wonderful film for the whole family. This movie is a cartoon but it is more compelling, emotional then most non animated films. Truly spectacular.

1. Reviewed by: Rob Humanick
    Sep 12, 2011
    Although far from the worst offender in Disney's canon, The Lion King is nevertheless host to many of the less savory qualities common to the studio's output.
  2. For all the undeniable merits, it somehow feels manufactured, and thus, to a degree, calculated - the product not of a collective imagination taking esthetic chances, but of an imaginative collective putting the rivets into a well-wrought plan that can't go awry.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Faires
    It's a thumping good adventure.