8.9

1. Chad
    Jan 4, 2008
    Honestly, this movie was just ok. i watch a ton of movies, including foreign films and this just didn't have anything that really drew me in or anything that really left me with a lasting effect. I would say the pacing is very similar to breach, which also was just ok. check it out if you are really really interested, but if you're kind of questioning whether it would be good or Honestly, this movie was just ok. i watch a ton of movies, including foreign films and this just didn't have anything that really drew me in or anything that really left me with a lasting effect. I would say the pacing is very similar to breach, which also was just ok. check it out if you are really really interested, but if you're kind of questioning whether it would be good or not i would say just rent or buy something else. Expand
  2. DaveC.
    May 25, 2007
    Obscenely overpraised. Juvenile banality dressed up as profound historical drama (Schindler's List anyone?). The film's would-be provocative moments come off as forced and the characters are massively lacking in vividness or depth. Deserves a 6 for the skillful use of humour and suspense.
  3. Jan 26, 2011
    Not sure what all the fuss is about, yes it is a good movie but not great. If you want a movie about East Germany I prefer Der Tunel. Das Leben der Anderen is not a bad movie don't get me wrong and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good foreign flick, but I have a hard time trying to see what separates it from being just a good movie and into a GREAT movie as most people claim.Not sure what all the fuss is about, yes it is a good movie but not great. If you want a movie about East Germany I prefer Der Tunel. Das Leben der Anderen is not a bad movie don't get me wrong and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good foreign flick, but I have a hard time trying to see what separates it from being just a good movie and into a GREAT movie as most people claim. Ulrich Tukur plays a great hero/villain and the final line of the movie really puts its stamp on a good film, nothing more nothing less. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Eric Hansen
    Starts out dark and challenging then comes to a startlingly satisfying and warmly human conclusion that lingers long after the curtain has come down.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Superbly cast drama… that looks to be a solid upscale attraction wherever the special chemistry of good writing and performances is appreciated.
    The Lives of Others wants us to see that the Stasi -- at least some of them -- were, like their Gestapo brethren, “just following orders." You can call that naive optimism on Donnersmarck's part, or historical revisionism of the sort duly lambasted by the current film version of Alan Bennett's "The History Boys." I, for one, tremble at the thought of what this young director does for an encore.