9.0

1. DaveL.
    Dec 19, 2001
    Had a few minor annoyances, but had the same annoyances with the novels. But in most ways, it's absolutely tremendous, and certainly deserves Best Picture consideration. And as visual spectacle, it's astounding.
  2. TaylorS.
    Dec 20, 2001
    Wonderful cinamatography, special effects, sets. everything visual is amazing. as is all the acting. but they killed the story. just completely dropped so many things that tolkien empahsized. it would be wonderful if they hadn't called it lord of the rings.
  3. MarkM.
    Dec 22, 2001
    A true masterpiece of epic film-making. I was swept away by this film from the very start. Whether it be the intimately emotional character development of the hobbit characters or the sweeping vistas of Middle-Earth (via New Zealand), this film is one of the most breathtaking I've seen since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It easily trumps any and every other fantasy film from A true masterpiece of epic film-making. I was swept away by this film from the very start. Whether it be the intimately emotional character development of the hobbit characters or the sweeping vistas of Middle-Earth (via New Zealand), this film is one of the most breathtaking I've seen since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It easily trumps any and every other fantasy film from Excalibur to Dungeons & Dragons and stands with its head held high among even such recent classics as Braveheart and Gladiator, beating out both with its charm and humanity as well as its stirring battle sequences and stunning visual FX. (Gollum is only briefly glimpsed in his 10 or 20 seconds onscreen but is easily 10x better in rendering than the any and all of Jar Jar's renderings in The Phantom Menace.) The emotional resonance of this film left me deeply moved at several points -- to the point of tears at two points -- and is touching in its portrayal of all the characters involved. In short, if you see only one film this holiday season, SEE THIS ONE. It will not disappoint. Expand
  4. RobertL.
    Dec 27, 2001
    Good action film but lacks true emotional depth to be rated as a top film for adults.
  5. AlY.
    Dec 31, 2001
    So good I can't help myself. I am reading the book again. Only small problems: moments of disconnect (who is Boromir, where did he come from, and why does he look so much like the other guy?), one or two small plot devices were added unnecessarily to keep the pace frantic (why did we need that thing from 20,000 leagues under the sea). Oh well. Bravo!
  6. PaulaW.
    Dec 30, 2001
    Forget the fantasy clichés you've been snickering at: the flimsy plots, the names like Zrhkyn, the maidens in cleavage-enhancing breastplates. This is fantasy at its best, the way it was meant to be before the tacky airbrushed book and album covers of the 1970's gave it a bad name. Little Frodo Baggins races through a truly imaginative landscape fraught with magic and Forget the fantasy clichés you've been snickering at: the flimsy plots, the names like Zrhkyn, the maidens in cleavage-enhancing breastplates. This is fantasy at its best, the way it was meant to be before the tacky airbrushed book and album covers of the 1970's gave it a bad name. Little Frodo Baggins races through a truly imaginative landscape fraught with magic and peril to destroy a ring with dark powers before the evil Lord Sauron can get a hold of it, and grows up along the way. Elijah Wood does a good job with Frodo's transformation from young hayseed to warrior. Standouts also include Ian Holm as Bilbo and Ian McKellen as Gandalf, along with familiar faces like Hugo Weaving (from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert) and Liv Tyler for a dash of female interest in an otherwise very boyish adventure. True, the plot is condensed, but in ways that make sense. The effects are very good, the scenery is gorgeous, and there is plenty of pulse-racing action. It's not all good looks either: every emotion seems sincere. Simply put, this epic beats the pants off anything ever dreamed up by George Lucas. If you never see another fantasy or sci-fi flick, you should see this one. Expand
  7. SebH
    May 31, 2010
    OK, so it's a pioneering movie with some of the best special effects in existence, but that all seems to be a mask for this film's numerous flaws, namely the incredible broadness, the truly awful scripting and expository dialogue ("Even the smallest person can change the course of history"), and I know it's a small-ish gripe but the soundtrack is TERRIBLE; alternating OK, so it's a pioneering movie with some of the best special effects in existence, but that all seems to be a mask for this film's numerous flaws, namely the incredible broadness, the truly awful scripting and expository dialogue ("Even the smallest person can change the course of history"), and I know it's a small-ish gripe but the soundtrack is TERRIBLE; alternating between overstated portentous and sickeningly saccharine. Granted, it's incredible that they managed to make a film out of the book, but the execution could have been a hell of a lot more understated and slick. Expand
  8. Cy
    Nov 15, 2002
    It's too long.
  9. AdamE.
    Nov 21, 2002
    A truly brilliant masterpiece. A great adaptation of the book that results in a gripping and impressive adventure. The film itself is, I have to admit, a bit too long!
  10. TrystanS.
    Nov 7, 2002
    One of the coolest 2001 movies, yet, the saddest of all movies, I was drowning in tears the very first time I saw this movie. Even with almost all of us in the audience crying, this was as cool as Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone and Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas!
  11. CarmenG.
    Jan 18, 2002
    Great movie!!!! I never read the book but I really like it!!!!! The end is so sad ....... i gave it an 8 'cause it's a good movie but not the best ever i've seen.
  12. Stick
    Dec 16, 2002
    I rated this movie when it came out in theaters at only a 7. After seeing the extended version on DVD, I give it a 9. The extra footage helped capture more of the true story because it developed the characters more.
  13. PeterB.
    Dec 30, 2002
    There was almost nothing interesting enough in this movie to hold my attention for 3 hours. I was anxcious for it to end. And then the last nail to the koffin. No ending! 3 hours and no story, no ending. There is nothing else left.
  14. HugoF.
    Feb 13, 2002
    Intellectually empty eye candy. Pretty, but so is Carmen Electra.
  15. GabbiR.
    Feb 19, 2003
    Here's a summary of the whole movie: They walk, they fight, they walk, they fight, they walk, they fight, they walk, they fight, they walk it ends. Some movie. What really gets me was it was 3 hours long. This movie has torture written all over it.
  16. TaylorJ.
    Mar 22, 2003
    "The Fellowship of the Ring" is the best adaptation since "Gone With The Wind". It's a movie that crushes a bestselling novel into a timeframe that warns you of that Godzilla-sized soda: You WILL miss something. "Fellowship" has heart, action and above all, a magical story of good versus evil in which that even the smallest person can change the future. It's not perfect, but "The Fellowship of the Ring" is the best adaptation since "Gone With The Wind". It's a movie that crushes a bestselling novel into a timeframe that warns you of that Godzilla-sized soda: You WILL miss something. "Fellowship" has heart, action and above all, a magical story of good versus evil in which that even the smallest person can change the future. It's not perfect, but Peter Jackson has certainly accomplished something. Expand
  17. JoelA.
    Apr 22, 2003
    A great movie with Frodo and all.
  18. YoonMinC.
    Sep 26, 2003
    Maybe the book is a literary classic but I suspect this movie left out everything except the violence. Worse, everything here is a rudimentary sword/sorcery cliche, the special effects are murky, and the characters only frown, growl, or sweat. The pointyeared archer is handsome and dashing, and there are a couple of impressive images, but overall you're better off playing with your Maybe the book is a literary classic but I suspect this movie left out everything except the violence. Worse, everything here is a rudimentary sword/sorcery cliche, the special effects are murky, and the characters only frown, growl, or sweat. The pointyeared archer is handsome and dashing, and there are a couple of impressive images, but overall you're better off playing with your Playstation instead. Expand
  19. IlzeS.
    Dec 26, 2004
    Not a bad movie, but theres no plot and storyline is really bad!
  20. KatieM.
    Oct 28, 2005
    The
  21. PaulT.
    Dec 22, 2001
    I am a huge fan of the book and had very high expectations for the film, and I was disappointed. Some scenes Hobbiton, Moria were done very well and I thought Gandalf, Boromir, Legolas and Saruman all came out as believable and true to my reading. However, I found the story and the characters for the most part were left undeveloped to focus on the action, and I also cringed each time I am a huge fan of the book and had very high expectations for the film, and I was disappointed. Some scenes Hobbiton, Moria were done very well and I thought Gandalf, Boromir, Legolas and Saruman all came out as believable and true to my reading. However, I found the story and the characters for the most part were left undeveloped to focus on the action, and I also cringed each time Jackson changed the story - which was far too often. Some key shortfalls included the recreating and lack of development of Merry and Pippin, the whirlwind pace through the Bree episode, a weak encounter on weathertop which felt totally choreographed, a blink and you'd miss it pass through Lothlorien and on and on. Also although Frodo is saddled with an immense burden, his constant pitiful expressions become kind of wearing. Oh well, I still give it a 7 for the overall visualizations created and the Moria encounter. If I hadn't been so fond of the book I might have rated it higher. Expand
  22. DanF.
    Nov 14, 2002
    Ned is the man! His comments are very thoughtful and well stated. However, I think his word choice and rating(1) are a little too harsh. He definitely has some merit to what he is saying: the movies characters are weak and the plot is fairly immature. However, those faults are eclipsed by the brilliant fighting scenes and the digital artwork. Ned, you are very intelligent, yet a little Ned is the man! His comments are very thoughtful and well stated. However, I think his word choice and rating(1) are a little too harsh. He definitely has some merit to what he is saying: the movies characters are weak and the plot is fairly immature. However, those faults are eclipsed by the brilliant fighting scenes and the digital artwork. Ned, you are very intelligent, yet a little too narrow minded. Expand
  23. Jan 5, 2013
    Overall, the Fellowship of the Ring is a good film. It takes book and adapts it well to film with only one scene being done wrong, which is a lot better than the Harry Potter films. The pacing is good. This film needed to be long for the scenes to be fleshed out the way they did. Unlike the Hobbit at no point did I feel like the film was dragging until after Moria but I did not like thatOverall, the Fellowship of the Ring is a good film. It takes book and adapts it well to film with only one scene being done wrong, which is a lot better than the Harry Potter films. The pacing is good. This film needed to be long for the scenes to be fleshed out the way they did. Unlike the Hobbit at no point did I feel like the film was dragging until after Moria but I did not like that bit in the book anyway. I Expand
  24. Feb 1, 2011
    A fantastic and magical voyage to the unique world created by Tolkien. I think this is the best movie they could have done with this novel; they have captured the atmosphere excellently, and you can see this concretely at the beginning of the film, in The Shire (if I just could live there...). The interpretations are very good, except of Elijah Wood... he doesn't do it bad, but I neverA fantastic and magical voyage to the unique world created by Tolkien. I think this is the best movie they could have done with this novel; they have captured the atmosphere excellently, and you can see this concretely at the beginning of the film, in The Shire (if I just could live there...). The interpretations are very good, except of Elijah Wood... he doesn't do it bad, but I never liked him at all. Great movie, highly recommended to the people that likes this... magical and mystical stuff. Expand
  25. Apr 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The greatest movie I have ever ever ever seen...The actors are all great...No man can make a film like this...I am waiting for The Hobbit...everyone is waiting for this movie... Expand
  26. Jul 31, 2012
    A brilliant start to an exceptional franchise. In this movie we begin to unwrap the wonderful yet dangerous world of Middle-Earth, and just like the book, it is presented in a marvelous fashion. Some book adaptions are terrible, and this is the farthest you can get from one of them.
  27. Dec 1, 2011
    It was fine. I think it did get a little bit boring and it didnt peak until they got into Moria. From there and til the end of the film it was a lot better. The acting is ok, Sir Ian McKellen was amazing as Gandalf.
  28. Jan 28, 2012
    The Fellowship of the Ring was one of the best movies I have ever seen that was made from a book. It is one of those you would want to see again and again. It is based on the book by J.R.R Tolkien, and an amazing cast was selected. Peter Jackson did a fantastic job with the plot, dialogue, characters of Middle Earth. I was astonished by the special effects this movie had to offer,The Fellowship of the Ring was one of the best movies I have ever seen that was made from a book. It is one of those you would want to see again and again. It is based on the book by J.R.R Tolkien, and an amazing cast was selected. Peter Jackson did a fantastic job with the plot, dialogue, characters of Middle Earth. I was astonished by the special effects this movie had to offer, especially a scene with the demon Balrog. I would definitely recommend buying this. Seriously, go out and buy it today! Collapse
  29. Dec 28, 2012
    A journey like no other, a grand adventure never before filmed, and a movie that is exciting from start to finish, this movie has an undeniable epic sweep that will take you in to the lush atmosphere of Middle Earth.
  30. Nov 22, 2012
    The film is a prime example of how someone should make a book based film but it does have a few flaws. The first being the acting, It's not all that good, Yes the casting is perfect but I think the dialogue could have been a bit better. What really saves it is that the aciton is so good and it's so well directed, It truly brings Middle Earth to life. Definently worth watching.
  31. Aug 24, 2014
    A modern epic. A new classic. The Fellowship of the Ring kickstarts one of the finest trilogies in cinematic history. What Peter Jackson is able to accomplish, alongside an impeccable cast and crew, is astounding.
  32. Jul 12, 2012
    I will admit that it could have been a bit shorter, but the Fellowship of the Ring makes up for its length with its astounding visuals, tight performances and direction, compelling dialogue and terrific action sequences.
  33. Oct 21, 2012
    Awesome actors,an amazing director and a genius screenplay.This is a great movie based on a book.Despite that,there's an action scene where gandalf and sauron fight.It don't have good angles.The sound is terrible.The movies of 2001 don't have good sound.But there are 4 movies that it can have great sound:
    -Amélie
    -Black Hawk Down -Moulin Rouge! -Pearl Harbor The movie shows a
    -Amélie
    -Black Hawk Down
    -Moulin Rouge!
    -Pearl Harbor
    The movie shows a cliffhanger.A cliffhanger is the thing you can note a second part.
  34. Dec 8, 2012
    Sin ser fan de la Trilogía ni haber leído los libros, pienso que el producto es notable y necesario revisitar de cuando en cuando. Personajes muy bien definidos. Buenos actores que saltaron a la fama con esta trilogía. Tierra Media creíble. Momentos divertidos como la lucha entre los 2 magos, estando Ian McKellen y Christopher Lee un poco mayores para tantosSin ser fan de la Trilogía ni haber leído los libros, pienso que el producto es notable y necesario revisitar de cuando en cuando. Personajes muy bien definidos. Buenos actores que saltaron a la fama con esta trilogía. Tierra Media creíble. Momentos divertidos como la lucha entre los 2 magos, estando Ian McKellen y Christopher Lee un poco mayores para tantos trotes. Momentos de nerviosismo como cuando atraviesan la Mina de Moria. Quizá demasiado larga, aunque muy recomendable. Expand
  35. Dec 5, 2012
    "The Fellowship of the Ring" is a triumph. Despite its lofty and seemingly "unfilmable" source material, it manages to convey the spirit of J.R.R Tolkien's masterwork.
  36. Feb 4, 2013
    Possibly people for a good movie, but for me it is another of those movies fun to hang out.
  37. Jan 3, 2013
    With a virtual pantheon of lovable characters, a legendarily unmistakable score, a mirthful set of special effects, and a truly engrossing story jet-pumped full of classic lore, Peter Jackson's first installment of his "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy makes for a truly indelible and worthwhile filmic escape.
  38. Dec 27, 2012
    A great film and the start of an epic adventure. The characters, story line, special effects are all amazing. One of the best films of all time since "a new hope".
  39. Jan 24, 2013
    This film starts out slowly but I am okay with this, given the character development that occurs for Gandalf, Frodo, and Sam. I found this film brilliantly directed, but Peter Jackson seemed to be unsure of himself during the first half of the film. The film's second half also had a different, gritty feel compared to the first half, which I both liked and disliked, overall, I found thisThis film starts out slowly but I am okay with this, given the character development that occurs for Gandalf, Frodo, and Sam. I found this film brilliantly directed, but Peter Jackson seemed to be unsure of himself during the first half of the film. The film's second half also had a different, gritty feel compared to the first half, which I both liked and disliked, overall, I found this film to have a strong plot, great action, and one strong scene after another Expand
  40. Apr 14, 2013
    It was good but let's face it, it was an hour too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The running time is really the only problem though. Everything else in this movie that's good makes up for it. Great special effects, great story, great acting, great combat scenes, and a great script.
  41. May 19, 2013
    Although somewhat inconsistent the first installment of the trilogy by Peter J. reach its goal, which is introduced in the magical world of Tolkien,with good characters and a broad cast the film holds the attention in ways never seen, and leaves us eager to see the sequel.
  42. Jul 22, 2013
    mucha a charla y poca accion para una pelicula que lo tenia todo para un hermoso 10, efectos, tema, actuacion, personajes, paisajes y falto accion lo cual bajo la calificacion
  43. Nov 29, 2013
    This is just an epic movie. It does have a long runtime, but that is no excuse to call this movie bad.It made me a LOTR fan, and now nothing can change me. It has the dark sense that I imagined the with the books.
  44. May 2, 2014
    the movie, Lord of the Rings is very good, is a film that I recommend to people who like adventure movies, but he has some problems of fidelity to the book, surreal things and poorly explained.
  45. JaredC.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Peter Jackson awakens us into this breathtaking astonishing trilogy The Lord of the Rings. Jackson views a unique conception of fantasy and engages us with plenty of detail. After that crap animated Lord of the Rings came out, I could never get the horrific sensation of bad elements in the film out of my head. But in The Fellowship, Jackson amazes our pupils and widens our hearts into his Peter Jackson awakens us into this breathtaking astonishing trilogy The Lord of the Rings. Jackson views a unique conception of fantasy and engages us with plenty of detail. After that crap animated Lord of the Rings came out, I could never get the horrific sensation of bad elements in the film out of my head. But in The Fellowship, Jackson amazes our pupils and widens our hearts into his beautiful imagination that will be cherished for generations. The soudtrack will raise your heart strings as every scene has its own heartwarming beat or song that brings each a favorable rhythm each time a new place in the story is discovered to develop more build-up in the plot and setting. The Shire, Rivendell, Lothlorien, Moria, and Amon-Hen each have their own soundtrack so when you think of that one place, you think of the music Howard Shore uses in that setting. The character development is tremendous and each and every image in this film is absolutely beautiful. Jackson succeeds in this brilliant and amazing picture and will now be defined as a master movie-maker. The Fellowship of the Ring is highly recommended and magnificent. Expand
  46. StephenD.
    Dec 19, 2001
    This movie couldn't have been made any better, having chosen the specific flavor they were going for. This said, it's actually multi-flavored: I laughed, cried, gasped - the whole gammut.
  47. AlanH.
    Dec 19, 2001
    Epic! Several amazing and thrilling adventures in one great film! I can't wait for the next one!
  48. CraigW.
    Dec 19, 2001
    Splendid adaptation of a truly classic 20th century book. It follows that some characters and scenes had to be edited (if not omitted) but the body of the work lies intact. It makes you laugh, cry, and even hope for the people on screen. A brilliant first of three.
  49. Elmer
    Dec 19, 2001
    Put your time and money to better use by buying and reading the book. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but if they tell a different story there is no comparison.
  50. EstebanL.
    Dec 21, 2001
    Firstly, I have to qualify as someone who has NOT read the Tolkien books. I went in anticipating a great movie. I have to concede that it wasn't one of the greatest movies ever made, for sure and it does seem long at points. All in all though, it's a nice film.
  51. EricB.
    Dec 24, 2001
    The greatest adventure of all time.. adapted to the movie screen in absolute perfection. It doesn't get any better than this.
  52. DavidS.
    Dec 28, 2001
    See the movie, yet expect a few things to go unanswered if you haven't read the books. As with all movies crafted from books, it follows the story line as best it can with breathtaking visual effects and heart racing action, however, it lightly skims over the friendship shared by the four Hobbits or the mystical aura of Galadriel.
  53. Sep 30, 2013
    It's strange and quite gut-wrenching to think that as I review this, the first part of arguably one of the best trilogies to grace cinema was released 12 years ago, but it's fascinating at how much there has been since then, yet this trilogy has withstood the test of countless blockbusters and attempts at recreating it fantastical adventures. Peter Jackson brings to life the vision thatIt's strange and quite gut-wrenching to think that as I review this, the first part of arguably one of the best trilogies to grace cinema was released 12 years ago, but it's fascinating at how much there has been since then, yet this trilogy has withstood the test of countless blockbusters and attempts at recreating it fantastical adventures. Peter Jackson brings to life the vision that author J.R.R. Tolkien envisioned in his fantastic books, full of heart, colourful characters and magical elements that set it heads above the competition, truly an adventure like no other. While much of the film shows the advancements of computer-generated magnificence, it possesses a very human touch from its ensemble cast and riveting stories that each of them tell, the biggest of course being that of Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood), a hobbit who lead a simple way of life in the Shire, a quiet and peaceful place for those quite content with the easier but finer things in life, but as our story goes, Frodos uncle, Bilbo, holds a secret that changes the tone for the foreseeable future, as an evil is coming and Frodo holds the power to stop it, various events lead to Frodo and his other Hobbit friends Sam, Pippin and Merry (Sam Astin, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan) setting out to destroy the ring in the place it was forged, the fiery Mount Doom. But as mentioned, there is more than this story being told, we meet shadowy ranger Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) who is certainly more than meets the eye, while we also have a hawk-eyed elf called Legolas (Orlando Bloom), the outspoken but proud Boromir (Sean Bean) and a hot-tempered dwarf called Gimli (John Rys-Davies). The ring itself is a tempting power, a power that can entice and corrupt at any given moment, Ian McKellan plays an ageing wizard called Gandalf the Grey, who knows exactly what this ring is capable of, but is willing to guide this Fellowship until the end. This first entry combines everything into a near flawless film, fantasy, story-driven, violent, epic emotional and touching where it matters most, we don't have a perfect fellowship of individuals here, we have foes, untrustworthy acquaintances, accidental travellers and some not really wanting to be there, but they are all driven my one goal, one that will see them travel across Middle Earth to complete. Peter Jackson perfectly captures a world unlike any other, occupying it with magical mischief and all sorts of good and evil, which the film perfectly represents, it mixes light and dark and often cuts deeply into the flaws of both, while also showing first hand the power of the two on a massive scale, there's nothing quite like it.
    The mesmerising cinematography outlines the scope of the film, from lush green landscapes to the snow-covered mountaintops and deep into the underground, each place vastly different than the last, full of beauty, terror, frightening beings with groundbreaking effects, costumes and real landscapes that bring it to life, but this isn't possible without the phenomenal cast in tow. Ian McKellan and Viggo Mortensen are standouts of the film, engrossed in their characters where we can truly feel safe with them as we trek through Middle Earth, but the then relatively unknown Elijah Wood does an excellent job as the likeable Frodo, keeping a level head but standing up when necessary. Smaller roles are also filled by big stars such as Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee and Liv Tyler, who are on hand at various pit stops for the group to offer advice and solitude, or two bow to a greater force.
    This is undoubtedly a benchmark in cinema, combining so many elements of grandeur and action that its hard to find fault, it moves at a fluid pace and the long run time is not noticeable or over-bearing, we have so much to see, feel and admire that it feels right to watch this trilogy consecutively, otherwise the moment can indeed be spoiled, it surpasses all expectations and is simply sublime filmmaking, and it only gets better.
  54. May 20, 2014
    I never got into this movie when I saw it in the theater back in 2001. And even after I saw it again and "found" it, "The Fellowship of the Ring" has always remained the part of the trilogy I like the least. Not that it's saying much, considering how much I like the others.

The beginning of the movie is slow (but not as slow as the book's), setting an image of a peaceful folk called Hobbits, who don't like trouble and like to eat lots - enjoyed with good ale and excellent pipe weed.

But then there are the Bagginses... They are not like the other Hobbits - not quite. When Frodo and Sam - with the addition of Merry and Pippin - head out towards the town of Bree, it is soon clear that their Hobbit lifestyle is gone for now.

Innocence is pushed away as we plunge into dark, grim tale of bloody history and heroes who failed and fell to the temptation of the One Ring.

My favorite part starts when the Hobbits, led by Strider, later known as Aragorn, reach Rivendell.

I could go on and on about the wonderful cast that I fell in love with, and whose performances keep getting better and better as their characters grow. Orlando Bloom as Legolas had always been my favorite. Merry and Pippin (Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd) offer the flawless comic relief more times than you could ask for it.

As for the others... The Elves are enchanting, and their homes just blow your mind with their beauty. The Nazgûl are hauntingly beautiful and terrible at the same time. The scenery, before and after the Fellowship has been chosen, is so beautiful it's hard to imagine you would have a hard time traveling it; New Zealand at its best.

Although there are small mistakes here and there (most of them funny when you know where to look), and the "size-doubles" don't work very well at times, you forgive them because the story is great. It just doesn't matter.

Like in all the parts of the trilogy, they balance action scenes very well with the calmer ones. You don't get bored. There are a lot of funny moments that reflect on the differences between the characters - and at the same time show you just how they are bonding with each other. This is what makes the next parts so amazing; you actually care about what happens to each and every one of them, and they do not remain hollow and meaningless.

If something needs to be complained about, it is the few quick cuts within a scene between Saruman and Gandalf in Isengard; the dialogue flows but we are taken from one place to another. But that's a minor thing, and in a way, it really works. It just seemed a bit odd in the perfect flow of everything else. Like they wanted to do the same scene in different places at once.

The movie ends in a good spot, leaving us hanging just the right way. It gives you just the right kind of itch to watch the next movie - and then the final one.

And by the way, if you can get your hands on the extended version, don't bother with the theater release. The longer the better, says I!
  55. Apr 3, 2012
    Con efectso especiales del mejor nivel, con actuaciones merecedoras de Oscar, con una historia simplemente fantastica y con una perfecta direccion de Peter Jackson , The Fellowship of the Rings logra establecer espectativa a lo que seria la mejor trilogia de todos los timepos.
  56. Dec 6, 2013
    The first film of the series, "LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring" is emotionally fulfilling, brilliantly plotted and exciting. This movie is a masterpiece and a textbook example on how to create an epic adventure. The special extended edition, at 208 minutes, does not seem overlong at all.
  57. Jun 9, 2014
    This absolutely floored me. I was always a doubter, thinking that there is no way this was as good as people said it was. Boy was I ever wrong. Phenomenal film. The visual effects were absolutely dazzling (seriously, could one "set" not be absolutely breathtaking, please?), the cinematography was great, the score was pitch perfect, and the acting was great as well. It is amazing how IThis absolutely floored me. I was always a doubter, thinking that there is no way this was as good as people said it was. Boy was I ever wrong. Phenomenal film. The visual effects were absolutely dazzling (seriously, could one "set" not be absolutely breathtaking, please?), the cinematography was great, the score was pitch perfect, and the acting was great as well. It is amazing how I could sleep so hard on this one. I am unfamiliar with the novels, but still, seeing this world come to life is amazing. On top of everything I mentioned, the action is always amazingly put together and the CGI is used to perfection. Another thing is this one's corner is the fact that its 3 hour run time simply did not feel like 3 hours. The time really flew by and never really dragged. Typically, with films of this length, there are some things that feel like extra, but here, everything included was undoubtedly needed. Ultimately, as the first film in the trilogy, this one sets up the following two films very well. It is amazing to think that this is often considered the lesser of the three films. Expand
  58. Dec 8, 2013
    Really good. It´s beautiful, exciting, emotive, epic. It has all that, but you can´t give it a 10. First of all the last part of the trilogy is the best, so you have to reserve it for that one if anything. It´s a really good mix of characters, wonderful to see all of them working together. Although the heart of the film and the entire trilogy (especially in the last sequel) is theReally good. It´s beautiful, exciting, emotive, epic. It has all that, but you can´t give it a 10. First of all the last part of the trilogy is the best, so you have to reserve it for that one if anything. It´s a really good mix of characters, wonderful to see all of them working together. Although the heart of the film and the entire trilogy (especially in the last sequel) is the relationship between Frodo and Sam. It can be all the epic you want when it comes to action, score, visuals, etc, but this is what makes the movie. And this is why many other big budget films fail miserably quality wise. I was going to give this one a 9 but there are a few scenes towards the end that I don´t like too much, a little bit repetitive. Best moments are the beginning of the journey and the whole time the spend in Moria, really exciting. Expand
  59. Jul 14, 2014
    Honestly I was scared to start watching this trilogy. I figured that the second I started watching I would lose the next 12 hours of my life.
    I was right.
    The second I started this one up, I knew that it was going to be amazing. Everything about it is on point. The acting, script, the score, everything. The cinematography was so good my jaw dropped regularly. Just watch it. Please. It's
    I was right.
    Just watch it. Please. It's amazing.
  60. Jun 6, 2013
    It's a truly great movie. The cast was incredible and they really brought the characters and story to life, most notably Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Christopher Lee as Saruman, and Sean Bean as Boromir, quite possibly my favorite character of the movie. There wasn't a lot of action, but it was a good set up for the rest of the series. Translating the book to the big screen is difficult,It's a truly great movie. The cast was incredible and they really brought the characters and story to life, most notably Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Christopher Lee as Saruman, and Sean Bean as Boromir, quite possibly my favorite character of the movie. There wasn't a lot of action, but it was a good set up for the rest of the series. Translating the book to the big screen is difficult, but Peter Jackson did a good job of it. It's one of the better movies I've seen. Expand
  61. Jun 20, 2013
    "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" is a magnificent experience, with breathtaking visuals, and a heart warming adventure, it is absolutely one of the greatest movies ever made.
  62. Aug 31, 2013
    Good, but not for 10. In some parts is very boring, but in other parts it's very good and epic. The third chapter of the trilogy is the best in my opinion.
  63. Jul 14, 2013
    A great fantasy film that boasts of great acting, cool visuals, awesome music and spectacular cinematography. I really loved this film and I personally think this is still the best of the 'Rings' trilogy with its more adventure feel along with emotional concept in the story setting. This is a classic film that I really love and admire.
  64. Jul 24, 2013
    It is an epic adventure and Peter Jackson created a fantastic Middle-Earth. The battle scenes are great and I especially enjoyed the battle of Amon Hen where Boromir died.
  65. Dec 9, 2014
    A wonderful and touching movie that truly is entertaining to watch.

A wonderful and touching movie that truly is entertaining to watch.

The Fellowship of the Ring is a highly unique movie, and it keeps me entertained every time I watch it, because it’s so damn good and the music is spectacular! Yes, some people might experience some slow and boring scenes, but I didn’t find anything boring at all, because the story and the characters totally keeps me entertained every time I watch it. I’m also thrilled by how great Peter Jackson did the movie, because there’s almost nothing negative about The Fellowship of the Ring. One thing though, is the CGI. There are a lot of practical effects that totally is superior of todays CGI, and the CGI in The Fellowship of the Ring is amazing if you look at it from a 2000s perspective. I’m stunned how incredible they made this film, but if you look closely there are some vague CGI, but I don’t really care. Because the plot of The Fellowship of the Ring is stunning.

This is one of the best movies of the 2000s.

The Fellowship of the Ring gets a 9/10.
  66. Jul 26, 2013
    "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" is one of the best movies of all time; maybe the greatest fantasy/adventure movie ever made...10/10
  67. Mar 22, 2015
    1. choppy editing in non action scenes.
    2. way to slow character development.
    3. to much screen time devoted to unneeded scenery brochure.
    4. not enough focus on Languages
    5. nazgul impotence.
    6. no magic battles.
  68. Jul 31, 2013
    This movie is definitely the most underrated movie in what I would call the "Middle Earth saga" ('The Hobbit' trilogy and 'The Lord of The Rings' trilogy) this movie also carries the most emotional moments in the series too, whether this will change in the two upcoming hobbit movies unknown.
  69. Feb 2, 2014
    The first Lord of the Rings is the best. I'm not one to flock to sci-fi movies, but I find this series to be the epitome of the genre. All of the movies can be enjoyed by almost anyone, and not just fans, which makes these movies even more amazing.
  70. Oct 27, 2013
    this first the lord of the rings is absolutely amazing and epic,the battle scenes and the story that is running out is terrific,and the finalyou saw that there is a lot to happen yet.
  71. Aug 12, 2014
    So where do even begin? This film is the start to a truely legendary film series. This one is my personal favourite film of the three and of all time of course. I can easily say that all three of these films are some of the best films you will see at this time. All three deserve all of the praise they have recieved. Back to this film, the story is so interesting and immersing that you willSo where do even begin? This film is the start to a truely legendary film series. This one is my personal favourite film of the three and of all time of course. I can easily say that all three of these films are some of the best films you will see at this time. All three deserve all of the praise they have recieved. Back to this film, the story is so interesting and immersing that you will feel the insensitivity the excitement the emotion and everything pretty much. The atmosphere of middle earth gives you a masterful sense of adventure that no other films can quite capture to immerse you in. The characters in this are so badass and relatable that you can easily care what happens to them. Sure this film has a slow start but this kind of start really does speak to you unlike many other slow starts as it wins you over with the world of middle earth. The cgi is still good even now and believe me when I say this the people who made these films are like the cgi gods you will buy that the cgi characters In this look real and it keeps you Expand
  72. May 25, 2014
    I just cant decide between this movie and the 3rd LOTR movie of which is my favourite. The action and story is amazing and keeps you glued to the screen from start to end!
  73. May 28, 2015
    I love all three Lord of the Rings films, they all flow so well together and they really build up such an epic and amazing story. The first film definitely starts things right with the trilogy, It may not be as action packed when compared to it sequels but it's still solid entertainment, and when the action does happen it's really a lot of fun to watch. This film also feels so magical andI love all three Lord of the Rings films, they all flow so well together and they really build up such an epic and amazing story. The first film definitely starts things right with the trilogy, It may not be as action packed when compared to it sequels but it's still solid entertainment, and when the action does happen it's really a lot of fun to watch. This film also feels so magical and you will almost appreciate this film's lighthearted feeling once the sequels start taking darker turns. I remember already being in awe of this film near the beginning when Gandalf first enters the Shire just because of how cool the Shire environment is and mainly because of the beautiful music playing in the background. The characters are also very likable, each one feels unique in a certain way. Overall I would highly recommend not just this film but the entire LOTR trilogy to anyone who likes good films about epic adventures and fantasy settings. Expand
  74. May 5, 2014
    A fun engaging movie that captures the spirit of its books. The Lord of the Rings 1 has a great cast, score, effects, action, you name it. Even though this film is nearly 3 hours, and feels like it, but you dont get bored of it.
  75. Aug 9, 2014
    If this isn't the best set of fantasy movies then I don't what is. Others tend to disagree but I think The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is the best of the trilogy with The Return of the King not far behind a brilliant movie. With great heart and respect.
  76. Jul 30, 2014
    A film that combines fantasy, adventure, romance, humour and horror, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is an unquestionable masterpiece. Jackson's accomplished direction and Lesnie's beautiful cinematography are to praise for this exceptional result signed by a magnificent performance by McKellen and many commendable others. The film has a dark tone that creates a thrilling and engrossingA film that combines fantasy, adventure, romance, humour and horror, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is an unquestionable masterpiece. Jackson's accomplished direction and Lesnie's beautiful cinematography are to praise for this exceptional result signed by a magnificent performance by McKellen and many commendable others. The film has a dark tone that creates a thrilling and engrossing atmosphere which breaths life into Tolkien's epic and casts a spell on the audience. Among its engaging sequences are the incidents at the mines of Moria, a true gem as they appear on screen. The visuals are truly stunning and the CGI splendid, from the magical Rivendell to the Balrog's inferno. Everything is bound together with Shore's Wagner-inspired orchestral score and evolves into one of the greatest cinematic achievements of 21-century film history. Expand
  77. Jan 26, 2015
    Half of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is lighthearted, and the other half is a dark, mature, fantasy tale. Either way though, Fellowship is a thoroughly enjoyable fantasy romp filled with fun, lovable characters, fantastic acting, a captivating story, truly pulse-pounding action sequences, and a surprising emotional impact. This film set the stage perfectly for its twoHalf of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is lighthearted, and the other half is a dark, mature, fantasy tale. Either way though, Fellowship is a thoroughly enjoyable fantasy romp filled with fun, lovable characters, fantastic acting, a captivating story, truly pulse-pounding action sequences, and a surprising emotional impact. This film set the stage perfectly for its two sequels.

I give it a rating of 9.7/10, and it is one of my ten favorite films of all time.
  78. Jan 6, 2015
    One of the best movies of all time. It has an epic plot with incredable acting and some of the most beautiful scenes on the planet. It was unlike anything I have scene before. Some people say that Game of Thrones surpasses this. I can't believe it.
  79. Oct 18, 2014
    An epic adventure of good against evil, a story of the power of friendship and individual courage, and the heroic quest to pave the way for the emergence of mankind, J.R.R. Tolkien's master work brought to cinematic life.
  80. Nov 13, 2014
    Fantastic in both presentation and immersion, this iteration of Tolkien's masterpiece is well done. Having both the greatest mentor of cinema and the greatest adventure in literature, this rendition will never be forgotten.
  81. Dec 20, 2014
    I must admit that I was never interested on watching "The Lord of the Rings" franchise, but when I decided to watch it, my conception about fantasy revolutionized.
    Marvelous screenplay. Extremely faithful to Professor Tolkien's novel. Peter Jackson took risks on adapting the trilogy to the big screen, but surely we can affirm: the risk was worth it.
  82. Mar 6, 2015
    an epic movie although the first half are pretty damn boring and the second one i just saying " awesome". in began you will see how beautiful this film. very recommend film if you have so many times :D
  83. Mar 11, 2015
    Honestly the one of the most incredible movies I have ever seen, and the fact that it was made 14 years ago makes it even more spectacular. Amazing acting, amazing characters, amazing scenery, amazing actions, amazing story, amazing everything!
  84. Mar 13, 2015
    The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowhip of the Ring bring me to a new world. This movie is so damn beautiful with the awesome soundtrack. I really have no idea about this
  85. Apr 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brooking no argument, history should quickly regard Peter Jackson’s The Fellowship Of The Ring as the first instalment of the best fantasy epic in motion picture history. This statement is worthy of investigation for several reasons.

Fellowship is indeed merely an opening salvo, and even after three hours in the dark you will likely exit the cinema ravenous with anticipation for the further two parts of the trilogy. Fellowship is also unabashedly rooted in the fantasy genre. Not to be confused with the techno-cool of good science fiction, nor even the cutesy charm of family fare like Harry Potter, the territory of Tolkien is clearly marked by goo and goblins and **** Persons with an aversion to lines such as, “To the bridge of Khazad-dûm!” are as well to stay within the Shire-like comforts of home (their loss).

With those caveats in place, it bears repeating: fantasy does not come finer. There are electrifying moments — notably the computer-assisted swooping camera through Isengard as it transforms into a factory for evil — when Jackson’s flight of fancy approaches the sublime as the romantic poets would understand it: inspiring awe.

Leaving aside the thorny issue of Tolkien die-hards and their inevitable gripes — “What no Tom Bombadil?” — Jackson’s screenplay (written in collaboration with Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boyens) is both bolder and more judicious than Steven Kloves’ surprisingly timid retread of Harry Potter. In particular, rescuing the romance of Arwen and Aragorn from the footnotes and the elevation of Saruman to all-action bad guy actually has a corrective influence on Tolkien’s often oblique and female-sparse source material.

There are problems, though. The three-hour running time is high on incident and low on discernible form. After successive detours to Elf habitats Rivendell (the watery home of Elrond) and Lothlórien (the forest home of the Lady Galadriel), the uninitiated might well ask why these crazy Elf kids can’t just live together and spare us all this attenuated dramatic structure.

More importantly, the action clearly climaxes in the desperate flight from the Mines Of Moria, where the largely seamless SFX is showcased in the best possible light — total darkness — but the narrative demands a different, downbeat ending. Indeed, but for some fine emotional playing from Bean, Mortensen, Astin and Wood, the final fight might feel like a particularly brutal game of paintball in Bluebell Wood. But then, the real battles are yet to come...

Putting formula blockbusters to shame, Fellowship is impeccably cast and constructed with both care and passion: this is a labour of love that never feels laboured. Emotional range and character depth ultimately take us beyond genre limitations, and it deserves to play as wide as a certain Mr. Potter.
  86. Apr 19, 2015
    Passed to him by his uncle Bilbo, young Hobbit Frodo Baggins becomes the unlikely and unwilling bearer of The One Ring of power, an instrument of unparalleled evil. And so Frodo, along with his three Hobbit chums, the wizard Gandalf and a swordsman named Strider, set out on an epic quest.

87. Apr 23, 2015
    In the pantheon of fantasy writers, no diety is treated with greater reverence than J.R.R. Tolkien, who is regarded by most readers as the Father of Modern Fantasy. During the past three decades, the fantasy area in bookstores has expanded from a minor subsection of science fiction to a major category in its own right. A couple dozen titles have been replaced by hundreds. Fantasy has goneIn the pantheon of fantasy writers, no diety is treated with greater reverence than J.R.R. Tolkien, who is regarded by most readers as the Father of Modern Fantasy. During the past three decades, the fantasy area in bookstores has expanded from a minor subsection of science fiction to a major category in its own right. A couple dozen titles have been replaced by hundreds. Fantasy has gone from being a cult genre to entering the mainstream. This would not have happened without the popularity and influence of Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Nearly every published fantasy author acknowledges having read and been inspired by Tolkien's canon, and, while The Lord of the Rings may not be the longest or most complex fantasy series to date, it remains the standard against which all similar works are measured. It is the epic fantasy series.

As entertaining as Harry Potter may be, it cannot hold a candle to The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. With this production, Jackson has used The Lord of the Rings to re-invent fantasy for the cinema in the same way that the novel provided the blueprint for the written word. This astounding movie accomplishes what no other fantasy film has been able to do: transport viewers to an entirely different reality, immerse them in it, and maroon them there for nearly three hours. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring brings Middle Earth to glorious life. From the first moment of the first reel, I was there.

In crafting his vision of Middle Earth, Jackson has employed all of the tricks available to him: miniatures, deceptive camera angles, location shooting, impressive set design, and matte paintings. He has also made use of computer graphics, but not to the extent that another director might have. Thus, The Lord of the Rings has a less artificial appearance than might have been the case if Jackson had relied too heavily on CGI technology. Andrew Lesnie's camerawork has the grand scope expected in an epic motion picture, and Howard Shore's score, which is at times heroic and at times thoughtful, compliments the visuals without ever calling attention to itself.

The Lord of the Rings is not an actors' movie, but each member of the cast acquits himself or herself well. Of special note are Ian McKellan, who presents Gandalf as a vulnerable and sympathetic figure; Ian Holm, whose Bilbo Baggins is a weary and tortured individual; and Elijah Wood, who shows the gradual changes in Frodo as he is transformed from a carefree hobbit to the person upon whom the fate of the world rests. Some recognizable names fill small roles - Liv Tyler is surprisingly good as Arwen; Cate Blanchett is cool and regal as Galadriel; and Christopher Lee brings his chilling presence to the part of the treacherous, traitorous Sauruman.

The strength of Jackson's vision as depicted in The Fellowship of the Ring gives movie-goers cause to hope that we may be in the midst of a cinematic achievement. If The Two Towers and The Return of the King live up to the standard set by this film, The Lord of the Rings will become a milestone not only for its genre, but for motion pictures in general. But, regardless of what the future brings, the single movie we now have before us stands out as one of the most rousing examples of entertainment to reach multiplexes in a long time. At last, someone has figured out how to do an epic fantasy justice on the big screen.
  88. May 6, 2015
    To say that fantasy movies have not been a big draw at the box office is to understate the matter. A lot of this has had to do with the poor quality of the product. Consider the evidence: titles like Willow, Dragonheart, and Dungeons and Dragons. Finally, 2001 has seen the belated emergence of fantasy as a legitimate cinematic genre. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was one of theTo say that fantasy movies have not been a big draw at the box office is to understate the matter. A lot of this has had to do with the poor quality of the product. Consider the evidence: titles like Willow, Dragonheart, and Dungeons and Dragons. Finally, 2001 has seen the belated emergence of fantasy as a legitimate cinematic genre. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was one of the year's most anticipated releases and, by the end of December, it will be one of the top money-makers of the past 12 months. Now, along comes The Lord of the Rings, as anticipated for 30-50 year olds and Harry Potter was for their children.

First and foremost, The Lord of the Rings is an adventure, and, in that, it is relentlessly successful. One does not need to have read the books to appreciate the movie. The background is explained concisely in a voiceover prologue, and the action proceeds in a straightforward manner. As long as one enjoys a well-crafted adventure yarn set against the backdrop of a mythical clash between good and evil, The Lord of the Rings will satisfy. Like all great movies of this sort, this one is characterized by tremendous action scenes punctuated by moments of rest and reflection. So, we have the flight from the Shire, followed by the council at Rivendell, followed by the hazardous trek through Moria (the movie's high point), followed by the encounter with Galadriel, followed by the sundering of the fellowship. Along the way, there is triumph, sorrow, and a little philosophical depth. The Lord of the Rings emphasizes two themes: the importance of brotherhood and the need for true strength to come from within.

89. May 9, 2015

When Tolkien began writing The Hobbit in the 1930s, he was unaware that he was essentially defining a genre. Tolkien was not the first author to write what would eventually be labeled as "fantasy", but his synthesis of elements - mythology, stories of larger-than-life heroism, the supernatural, and fairy tales - was unique. Nothing on the scale or scope of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings had previously been seen - not even the legends of King Arthur, Merlin, and Camelot were as well developed or executed.

Lord of the Rings devotees will be delighted to learn that the motion picture adaptation is as faithful as one could imagine possible (and, consequently, is nearly three hours in length). Jackson and his co-screenwriters (Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens) do an excellent job condensing more than five hundred pages of text into a script that never feels choppy, uneven, or rushed. The Fellowship of the Ring moves fluidly and, in the process, exhilarates. Certain scenes have been cut or condensed in the name of pacing, and the role of one character (Arwen) has been expanded to enhance a romantic angle, something that was largely absent from Tolkien's work.

90. May 29, 2015
    Best part of The Lord Of The Rings trilogy. Fascinating landscapes, lovely characters, brilliant actors and of course a perfectly told story.

I just can´t stop watching this move, and of course the others, too, again and again. I just love Frodo and Sam, they are perfect !

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.