9.0

1. CaseyT.
    May 3, 2002
    All I have to say is that Lord of the Rings is the best movie I've ever seen and the only movies that I can think of right now that can surpass the first part of LOTR is Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. P.S. After a month I'm still ashamed at the Academy for giving A Beautiful Mind best picture over this.
  2. EricM.
    Jun 6, 2002
    Utterly astounding cinematography, graphics, and amazingly faithful to the books. As for character developement, I wish the few that complain about the movie in this regard would realise that this movie is merely the first segment in a trilogy. Thus the character developement takes place over the ENTIRE series. Not just a single film.
  3. DominicM.
    Jul 24, 2002
    Fantastic movie - best i've seen - I saw it 3 times!
  4. KarlE.
    Jul 30, 2002
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. If you thought the character development was bad, you are obviously not too much of a fan of READING. The books that this movie is based on were amazing, and this film almost lives up to them. All in all I find that the people who write the bad reviews seem to be self important nimrods who have no appreciation for fantasy, and instead hide behind One of the best movies I have ever seen. If you thought the character development was bad, you are obviously not too much of a fan of READING. The books that this movie is based on were amazing, and this film almost lives up to them. All in all I find that the people who write the bad reviews seem to be self important nimrods who have no appreciation for fantasy, and instead hide behind their scorn for a movie based on, pff, CHILDREN'S books. Expand
  5. RosieK.
    Jul 6, 2002
    The first order of bussiness is to agree with Steve M. Mr Ed.B must not have comprehended this movie well, I believe it portrayed images from the book very well. There is little insight of the characters, however, I wouldn't have wanted the writers to launch off into the entire Lord of the Rings background. In some movies, this is a great quality. Lord of the Rings is about as far The first order of bussiness is to agree with Steve M. Mr Ed.B must not have comprehended this movie well, I believe it portrayed images from the book very well. There is little insight of the characters, however, I wouldn't have wanted the writers to launch off into the entire Lord of the Rings background. In some movies, this is a great quality. Lord of the Rings is about as far from a pretentious movie as Forrest Gump. Expand
  6. JamesB.
    Aug 10, 2002
    An excellent adaption of the first book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was the best movie I've ever seen and without a doubt the best movie of the year. In addition, on the release of the film, the second DVD full of special features was incredible. I was made even more anxious when I viewed the previews of the Special Extended edition of the movie and the Two Towers. Although An excellent adaption of the first book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was the best movie I've ever seen and without a doubt the best movie of the year. In addition, on the release of the film, the second DVD full of special features was incredible. I was made even more anxious when I viewed the previews of the Special Extended edition of the movie and the Two Towers. Although a person who is not a fan of the books may not appreciate the second release of the movie with extra footage (or, on a second note, be able to understand the plot with one viewing of the movie), I cannot wait for it's release in November. Although it's hard to imagine, the next installment of the trilogy is said to be much better than the first. I am anxiously awaiting the release of the second film which is part of this extraordinary labor of love. Expand
  7. KellyH.
    Aug 24, 2002
    My fave characters were Legolas and Aragorn by far. I love this movie and can't wait for the next two!
  8. Starfox
    Dec 10, 2003
    Quite simply one of the greatest films ever made. Slightly better than part two. Now bring on number three!
  9. Robert
    Jan 2, 2003
    I'm not a huge fan of the series, but I have to say that this movie was amazing.
  10. JazG.
    Oct 25, 2003
    An incredible achievement in filmmaking.
  11. FeliciaN.
    Mar 23, 2003
    LOTR was a spectacular film. This movie is truly the best film ever made in my opinion. I'm still in awe of the characters and the effects were amazingly well done. I have to give this movie a bonus(11/10)Excellent! Masterpiece!
  12. MikeC.
    Feb 7, 2004
    This is the best of three, if you ask me. The strong story more than makes up for the less epic battle scenes. Here the ring is sinister and menacing and the quest to destroy it means something. In addition the story is much stronger and better written than in the sequels.
  13. JohnO.
    Mar 10, 2004
    This might just as well be the the best film ever made. Setting a new standard for motion picture, this is one of those movies that will become a classic, just like Jaws, Psycho and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Except that this one's better. Much better.
  14. richardf.
    Jan 11, 2005
    The new star wars for the 21st century. One of the most perfect films ever made. Screenplay, Directing, Editing, Costume, Casting, special effects all mold together seamlessly to create an istant masterpeice that is going to imitated for years to come.
  15. JeffZ.
    May 2, 2006
    The whole series is the best, but the first movie is the most faithful of the bunch. a better fantasy epic than star wars. why roger ebert thinks harry potter and star wars is better is beyond me.
  16. DudeP
    Apr 10, 2009
    Prolly the greatest movie of alltime. The fellowship was the best of all three lord of the rings movies.
  17. ConnorM
    Sep 5, 2009
    Simply; one of the best films of all time. This is my favorite of the 3 (and the other 2 weren't too shabby). Everything from the acting, to the script, to the action was just superb. Sir Ian McKellen was amazing and I can't wait for his next appearence in "The Hobbit".
  18. PederD.
    Dec 21, 2001
    Best movie ever!!!
  19. SamF
    Mar 23, 2010
    This film is a breathtaking, awe inspiring masterpiece of cinema.
  20. GaryF.
    Nov 17, 2002
    Ned is not the man, he's a childish ponse who thinks he's the entire human race. If you dont care about the character's, it's your fault. If you think the story is immature, you're wrong (how the hell is it immature? someone tell me!) The characters are not weak: the elves are ponses, okay (but you'd think then ned would identify with them!) but then at least Ned is not the man, he's a childish ponse who thinks he's the entire human race. If you dont care about the character's, it's your fault. If you think the story is immature, you're wrong (how the hell is it immature? someone tell me!) The characters are not weak: the elves are ponses, okay (but you'd think then ned would identify with them!) but then at least two of them is rightful king of the land of men! Not week, is it! Ned needs to get over himself, if he did then he'd see this was a great movie! (by the way, if you come back by having a go at my spellinggrammar then you will know I have won the argument with so little imagination!) Expand
  21. S.J.
    Nov 21, 2002
    I just dare Ned to create an entire world only from his own imagination, to developes races, languages, places.. then to write it in a book, to write other books with stories of these stuffs, then I dare him to make a movie of these books in less than 2 years. If he can, then I'll consider his meaningless rate. I would like to see a "six-year-old" doing the work Peter Jackson did. I just dare Ned to create an entire world only from his own imagination, to developes races, languages, places.. then to write it in a book, to write other books with stories of these stuffs, then I dare him to make a movie of these books in less than 2 years. If he can, then I'll consider his meaningless rate. I would like to see a "six-year-old" doing the work Peter Jackson did. Rating this movie beneath 6 shouldn't be allowed for this movie. I just NEVER seen a movie with such a perfect casting, with incredible music and ambiance, and with such landscape. It just drops the new star wars way behind. Expand
  22. ArwenII
    Nov 26, 2002
    One of the best movies I've ever seen. But there's one thing I don't get. First, this movie was at a 95, then it was lowered down to a 94, and it's a 93? Personally, I think someone hacked into this website and was so mad that this movie was too good to have a rating, that they decided to lower its score. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about this movie. It had One of the best movies I've ever seen. But there's one thing I don't get. First, this movie was at a 95, then it was lowered down to a 94, and it's a 93? Personally, I think someone hacked into this website and was so mad that this movie was too good to have a rating, that they decided to lower its score. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about this movie. It had some very emotional moments that made me sob all night. Fantasy is so great. It's too bad that some people just don't appreciate such great imaginations that some brilliant authors (such as J.R.R Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, and Jules Verne) have. Expand
  23. DavisL.
    Nov 27, 2002
    It's a great film alright. But it's got sod all to do with September the bloody 11th.
  24. WarrenD.
    Jan 2, 2002
    Quite simply one of the two or three best fantasy films ever made and one of the best novel to film transitions ever! It restores a genuine sense of WOW to the cinema. What an achievement for all concerned.
  25. EricH.
    Jan 20, 2002
    Fellowship Of The Ring isn't so much an adaptation as it builds and fleshes out the gray areas of the book. Peter Jackson has outdone himself - visually the movie is stunning, the details warrant repeated viewings, and the dialogue and flow goes over 3 hours without one moment of boredom.
  26. JeniK.
    Dec 4, 2002
    To neone who keeps moaning that its a too long movie......if Jackson had made all three in one go and released all three movies as one...ud just be moaning that it was longer and suggest they split it into 3 movies. i thought the movie wa brilliant, gr8 choice of characters adn brilliant script, sound effects and special effects. if u havent seen it see it......12 out of ten if poss!!!
  27. SylvainG.
    Jan 27, 2002
    Fellowship is a really great movie, that is both grand scale action and intimate moments of friendship and love. Against all odds, Jackson has succeeded in bringing a masterpiece to life!
  28. ThaSilencer
    Dec 7, 2002
    Hey Ned, before saying anything you really MUST make a movie from a book that is over a 1000 pages long and has tens of millions of fans. The goal is to make the movie in an incredibly short time with incredible effects, sound and all the other stuff. After that should you give this movie such a dumb rating. "acting was mediocre" umm, actually all the actors made an amazing job on their Hey Ned, before saying anything you really MUST make a movie from a book that is over a 1000 pages long and has tens of millions of fans. The goal is to make the movie in an incredibly short time with incredible effects, sound and all the other stuff. After that should you give this movie such a dumb rating. "acting was mediocre" umm, actually all the actors made an amazing job on their characters. the only fact they might seem dull is because there are 9 main characters plus lots of others. I think that even with those 9 characters Jackson made a really good job on describing them. "immature fantasy" - boy aren't you mature. most of things on our lives are really simple, why should we make fuss about that. if you have'nt read the books i suggest you do as well before judging this movie. as you will see it is just an ecranization of the book. the story behind all that is much more complex. It is just like any other thing in this world - looks simple at first but with little more attention put into it, a lot more things come up. Also about six-year-olds: did you tell anything like that to your babysitter at that age? did your story make your babysitter image that rich and beautiful world you were talking about? Battle scenes in this movie are really cool. I went to the premiere and 11 more times after that, and each time when Aragorn finished fighting with an orc the studio was applauding. All the battles in this movie are just as good as those in Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, etc... From the depths of my soul I scream NED DOES NOT WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!!!! Expand
  29. June
    Jan 28, 2002
    WOW... the best movie ever! The Hobbits are just the best in the whole movie! I am really looking forward to the next two videos:)
  30. DanielleG.
    Jan 31, 2002
    I can't see how anyone could NOT have liked this. It was brilliantly coordinated and the special effects were done so beautifully. The cast is perfect. Orlando Bloom is absolute eye candy (but that?s not the only thing that makes this movie good). Just go see it, what else is there to say? I'm buying the DVD and seeing the next 2!
  31. RowanA.
    Jan 30, 2002
    Great!!!
  32. ValH.
    Feb 9, 2002
    This movie was awsome. They special effects and photography are excellent. I have seen the movie 5 times and I can't wait till it comes to DVD. I also can't wait for the sequels. Ian McKellen gave an extraordinary preformance as Gandalf the Grey and Elijah Wood protrade Frodo Baggins astoundingly. They coundn't have found anyone better. Lord of The Rings rules!!
  33. MikeV.
    Mar 14, 2002
    One of the greatest movies ever made.
  34. LisaW.
    Mar 27, 2002
    I think Peter Jackson did a wonderful job with the movie. It was definitely the best movie I have ever seen.
  35. NickiT.
    Mar 30, 2002
    I loved it, I'd give it an 11 out of 10 if it were possible.
  36. KeithW.
    Mar 31, 2002
    Brilliant!!
  37. Enkil
    Mar 7, 2002
    Just brilliant. A perfect start for this long awaited trilogy. And I have heard that people complain about "no real ending". Well, just take a look on the world's most popular trilogy Star Wars. Does the first and second have a "real" ending? Nooo...
  38. SuzyQ.
    Mar 7, 2002
    Awesome, awesome, awesome!
  39. JaydebM.
    Apr 1, 2002
    As good an adaptation from book to film as it can get.
  40. Jonas
    Apr 21, 2002
    Same as the other...Two words Olando Bloom.
  41. JohnS.
    Apr 22, 2002
    This movie was great.
  42. JessicaS.
    Apr 27, 2002
    Beautiful film:) imagination actually seems real in Lord Of the Rings. Thank you for an amazing experience, and its only begun!
  43. Ann-MarieB.
    May 1, 2002
    This is my absolute favorite movie! It deserves a 20/10! Elijah Wood is the best! Whoever gave it a low rating is crazy!!!!
  44. RoddickB.
    May 18, 2002
    The most magnificent and best high-fantasy film of all time. Not really THE BEST film of all time, but one of the best, and definitely the LORD of its genre. Breathtaking visuals and cinematography, stunning sets and landscapes, beautiful score, flawless acting, I can't wait for the next two films!
  45. ArwenElvenprincess
    Jun 13, 2002
    This is the most beautiful movie i have ever seen. I can't wait for the next one.
  46. JBW.
    Jun 15, 2002
    Its in my top 3 favorite movies and i think whoever doesnt like it is an idiot!!!!!!! I've read all the books and they are great!I can't wait to see The Two Towers and The Return of the King.
  47. StineE.
    Jun 2, 2002
    I've read the book, and the movie was even better than I expected!!!!!
  48. LauraW.
    Jun 24, 2002
    It iz the best film i have eva seen in my whole life and i can't wait 4 the nxt! the scenery iz amazing and every word iz true 2 tolkiens epic book.
  49. AndrewS.
    Jun 27, 2002
    There is no question about this being the absolute best movie of all time. It succeeds in everything it does. I admit that seeing the movie before I read book was a mistake, but it didn't stop me from loving this movie! I saw it again after the read and the book, I had a new respect for it. The movie is visually mind-blowing, the acting is the best I've seen in any movie, the There is no question about this being the absolute best movie of all time. It succeeds in everything it does. I admit that seeing the movie before I read book was a mistake, but it didn't stop me from loving this movie! I saw it again after the read and the book, I had a new respect for it. The movie is visually mind-blowing, the acting is the best I've seen in any movie, the story soars above any other, and the movie itself just rocks! It was robbed blind at the Oscars. It should have won everything it was nominated for. The Academy doesn't know what the hell they're doing. What does a movie have to do to get recognized? For crying out loud! The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is (needless to say) unbeatable! Expand
  50. JohnG.
    Jun 3, 2002
    Amazing....everything about LOTR was amazing and unforgetable....it was so deep and in depth....it was not boring for a second....in all of the 3 hours.
  51. RochelleR.
    Jul 11, 2002
    People. People. People. The show was magnificiant and those who give it lower than a 7 say it was the crummiest? You definitely haven't watched the movie, you guys just probably read some what critics say and copy them just to make yourself look proffesional! The movie did have some character developement in it, the point of the whole story is about fighting and war so you have to People. People. People. The show was magnificiant and those who give it lower than a 7 say it was the crummiest? You definitely haven't watched the movie, you guys just probably read some what critics say and copy them just to make yourself look proffesional! The movie did have some character developement in it, the point of the whole story is about fighting and war so you have to keep the battle scenes and if you ask why it didn't even have an ending... I suggest you read the book! Expand
  52. JasonD.
    Jul 10, 2002
    The reason that movies are made in the first place! I would have sat another three hours. One of the few blockbusters where the CGI effects are used to enhance the story, rather than become the thrust of the story.
  53. JohnnyP.
    Jul 17, 2002
    I'm sick of everyone whining about a lack of character development. Tolkien's stories were always sweeping epics (the Silmarillion crosses the line into myth), not character studies. If they wanted to be even truer to the books they could have included some folk songs. Wouldn't that have pissed people off even more. If you were expecting piercing insight into Frodo's I'm sick of everyone whining about a lack of character development. Tolkien's stories were always sweeping epics (the Silmarillion crosses the line into myth), not character studies. If they wanted to be even truer to the books they could have included some folk songs. Wouldn't that have pissed people off even more. If you were expecting piercing insight into Frodo's existential sense of dread, you were expecting a different movie and I think that accounts for most of the low ratings. Speaking of which, I've never seen the viewer ratings polarized to this extent - all 10's or 0's. Expand
  54. Cassidy
    Aug 14, 2002
    This is the best movie in the world!! it has everything u could ask for...it is by far the best!
  55. Me
    Aug 20, 2002
    To those 2 guys who say it sux. r u guys out of ur mind!? peter jackson did a wonderful job on packing a 300-page book into 3 hours, tho it could have been 4-5 hours cuz of all those additional details and characters that were not in the movie. the names of characters were made by tolkien and plz, its a fantasy world, they shouldn't be called american names. i'm happy it got asTo those 2 guys who say it sux. r u guys out of ur mind!? peter jackson did a wonderful job on packing a 300-page book into 3 hours, tho it could have been 4-5 hours cuz of all those additional details and characters that were not in the movie. the names of characters were made by tolkien and plz, its a fantasy world, they shouldn't be called american names. i'm happy it got as many awards as beautiful mind did. it's just too good! the week after the movie i read the whole trilogy and now i keep getting all the lord of the rings stuff, even dvd tho i don't have a dvd player. boy i can't wait for the next one!!!! Expand
  56. HobbitQueen
    Aug 8, 2002
    I fully disagree with "Poopinski", yes her/his name speaks for it self obviously. The 2nd DVD was beyond expectations and was incredible. The film itself made me an obessed LOTR fan. Especially FOTR...the books are also amazing. Peter Jackson couldn't have done better except maybe did not edit out the extra 30 min. which is only available on the extended version. Lord of the Rings I fully disagree with "Poopinski", yes her/his name speaks for it self obviously. The 2nd DVD was beyond expectations and was incredible. The film itself made me an obessed LOTR fan. Especially FOTR...the books are also amazing. Peter Jackson couldn't have done better except maybe did not edit out the extra 30 min. which is only available on the extended version. Lord of the Rings totally rock. Expand
  57. MartyH.
    Sep 1, 2002
    This movie is part one of the best book in the world. J.R.R. Tolkien is the most influential man in all of the fantasy genre. Without his book there would be no beauty in my life. This is because the Lord of the Rings is beautiful in itself. Nicole, whoever you are you can burn in eternal hellfire because of what you have said about the movie, the book and anything pertaining to the best This movie is part one of the best book in the world. J.R.R. Tolkien is the most influential man in all of the fantasy genre. Without his book there would be no beauty in my life. This is because the Lord of the Rings is beautiful in itself. Nicole, whoever you are you can burn in eternal hellfire because of what you have said about the movie, the book and anything pertaining to the best book of all time. I hope your family will realize the error in your ways and abandon you. Next time you have something to say about Lord of the Rings just keep it in your prissy stuckup snobby mouth. Queen of the Damned is nothing compared to the awesome work of poetry that is the Lord of the Rings. If I were able to make my vote above ten I would give the Lord of the Rings over 1 billion, because that is the amount that it has already made in theaters worldwide. Can you tell me how much Queen of the Damned got? Guess what there are also two more movies coming out. Can you say highest grossing trilogy of all time (Even surpassing Star Wars)? You probably don't like Star Wars either ... And don't think for a minute that I like Harry Potter because that is crap, just like you. J.R.R. Tolkien lives on in his books which are the embodiment of all that is right and just and good in the world. Thank you. Expand
  58. MichaelK.
    Sep 14, 2002
    "There are those who live, Frodo, who do not deserve to. There are those who die, that do not deserve to. It is what we do with the time we have that makes the difference." Gandalf. The movie captures the essence of the book in a very genuine way. So much is left out, but what is left in follows the story right to the heart of it. It is really the story of Frodo and Sam. It is the ageless "There are those who live, Frodo, who do not deserve to. There are those who die, that do not deserve to. It is what we do with the time we have that makes the difference." Gandalf. The movie captures the essence of the book in a very genuine way. So much is left out, but what is left in follows the story right to the heart of it. It is really the story of Frodo and Sam. It is the ageless story of the fight between good and evil. It is the story of a loving friendship that prevails against all odds. It is the story of winning, against all odds. It is only a story, but then, isn't all life just a story. If I had the chance to be in the story of Frodo, and the ring, I would pledge to him my sword. Stories are just a thing of the mind. So is life. Michael. Expand
  59. BengerH.
    Oct 1, 2003
    What can i say about the lord of the rings, everything! It had action, comedy, suspence, and more. Peter Jackson made a great novel an even better. Elijah Wood, Orlando bloom, and more made the move great with their talents. This movie we make u belif that it is true becase of the plot, setting, and the great battle scenes. I've watched this movie atleast 30 times and it is still What can i say about the lord of the rings, everything! It had action, comedy, suspence, and more. Peter Jackson made a great novel an even better. Elijah Wood, Orlando bloom, and more made the move great with their talents. This movie we make u belif that it is true becase of the plot, setting, and the great battle scenes. I've watched this movie atleast 30 times and it is still exiting. IF u haven't seen this movie, then u have not lived. See the movie all ur friends r talking about and see the two suspensful sequels!!! Expand
  60. TiffanyJ.
    Jan 7, 2003
    This movie was by far the best movie i have EVER seen, and trust me, I have seen A LOT of movies. It pisses me off to see people not like it.. a lot of time, effort and money went into this movie. You dont like the movie eh? The why did it make over $100 million in the first 4 days? Obviously more people like it than don't. Lagolas is so freakin hot. Even if you didnt like the This movie was by far the best movie i have EVER seen, and trust me, I have seen A LOT of movies. It pisses me off to see people not like it.. a lot of time, effort and money went into this movie. You dont like the movie eh? The why did it make over $100 million in the first 4 days? Obviously more people like it than don't. Lagolas is so freakin hot. Even if you didnt like the movie.. you have to admit they did good on the cast! Expand
  61. FOTRRox
    Feb 8, 2003
    I think it's all right for a person to hate this movie, we can't force someone to like this movie. But, the thing is....ALL OF YOUR FREAKIN' SO-CALLED 'EVIDENCE' THAT 'SUPPORTS' YOUR OPINION! No story? If you think that, you either have bad ears, you think the most entertaining movies are the most boring, or you have VERY LOW intelligance. Some of the I think it's all right for a person to hate this movie, we can't force someone to like this movie. But, the thing is....ALL OF YOUR FREAKIN' SO-CALLED 'EVIDENCE' THAT 'SUPPORTS' YOUR OPINION! No story? If you think that, you either have bad ears, you think the most entertaining movies are the most boring, or you have VERY LOW intelligance. Some of the story was narrated in the beginning, you dork! No character development? You couldn't see how Frodo looked so happy (before the Ring was given to him) in the Shire, and all of a sudden his face was full of fear and worry when the Ring was given to him, and learned danger would soon be pursuing him? You didn't see this? Maybe you were looking, but you didn't look close enough, or gather up all the clues (EVERY SINGLE ONE) to lead to support your opinion well. I thought this movie was much more enchanting and magical than the second one which was cold, dirty, and polluted (even though it was supposed to be). The sceneries in this one are absolutely gorgeous. The movie even makes you feel like crying at the end. *sniffle* Way to go, FOTR makers! Expand
  62. LivT.
    Sep 11, 2003
    I think one word could describe this movie- BEAUTIFUL. Andrew J., I'm sorry you thought the movie was boring, but then again, why should anyone who hasn't seen this movie trust a reviewer who can't even spell "wasn't" right?
  63. MichaelR.
    Sep 8, 2003
    Defines the fantasy genre. Possibly the best movie of this type ever made, and benefits from some careful pruning of Tolkien's overly long narrative by Jackson. One unavoidable drawback: my wife had a difficult time following, having never read the book.
  64. Jake
    Jul 17, 2005
    Well, Ilze S., if you think there's no storyline, maybe you should pay more attention, if you can focus for more than an hour-and-a-half. Although the fight scenes, special effects, and costumes are breathtaking, the heart of the movie is the story, one of the greatest tales of Good and Evil of all time, ever. For that, we can giveTolkien ALL the credit. All in all, this trilogy is a Well, Ilze S., if you think there's no storyline, maybe you should pay more attention, if you can focus for more than an hour-and-a-half. Although the fight scenes, special effects, and costumes are breathtaking, the heart of the movie is the story, one of the greatest tales of Good and Evil of all time, ever. For that, we can giveTolkien ALL the credit. All in all, this trilogy is a masterpiece, and as a long time fan of the books, they've lived up to ALL of my expectations. (except Tom Bombadil, sadly......maybe they should do a T.V. series spin off!) Expand
  65. BeccaP.
    Aug 3, 2005
    Great movie!
  66. LisaG.
    Sep 12, 2005
    Wonderful, just wonderful.... even 4 years later.
  67. AdnanA.
    Jul 19, 2008
    When I watched the lord of the rings for the first time I was either 9 or 10 and I didn't understand a single thing about this movie. I was like why the hell is everybody jumping for this ring. Now many years later the lord of the rings trilogy remains my favorite! Story... If you get the plot then it's a story that's gonna captivate you even after the end of the movie. When I watched the lord of the rings for the first time I was either 9 or 10 and I didn't understand a single thing about this movie. I was like why the hell is everybody jumping for this ring. Now many years later the lord of the rings trilogy remains my favorite! Story... If you get the plot then it's a story that's gonna captivate you even after the end of the movie. Kudos to J.R.R.Tolkien for creating such a world and Peter Jackson for filling this world with life. Acting... Every character is special and all the credit goes to the actors. Each and every actor, has carried out their roles with dedication and devotion. No complains. Direction... I'd only say that no other person in this universe could have made lord of the rings other than Peter Jackson. Visuals... The fighting scenes are exhilarating! Visuals are one of the strongest points of this movie. It's not easy for a 3 hour movie to keep you entertained for long but this movie makes you beg for more! These movies are made once in a decade and to not see them is the biggest mistake of your life. Expand
  68. FayeG.
    Dec 19, 2001
    I LOVED IT!!!!!!
  69. IanM.
    Dec 22, 2001
    Possibly the best movie I have ever seen. The sense of magic combined with the powers and subtle differences depicted in each of the many races within the world conjured from the genius of Tolkien is phenomenal. Graphically, technically and emotionally stunning. See it.
  70. ElvisB.
    Nov 13, 2002
    A masterpiece!!!
  71. Gilbert
    Nov 14, 2002
    Wake up people...the emperor isn't wearing any clothes! It's a truly great movie, the Star Wars of our generation, not a crap overrated blah! No-one'll think the less of you if you admit it, don't you worry! 'Course, at 170 minutes, it'll bore the crap out of you if you're not much into Tolkien...but that's your fault, nimrod, not the film's. Wake up people...the emperor isn't wearing any clothes! It's a truly great movie, the Star Wars of our generation, not a crap overrated blah! No-one'll think the less of you if you admit it, don't you worry! 'Course, at 170 minutes, it'll bore the crap out of you if you're not much into Tolkien...but that's your fault, nimrod, not the film's. Oh, and how DARE you insinuate that Tolkien is evidence of the dumbing-down of Western Culture? Jesus H Christ, a film is made, the themes don't appeal to your mindset, and it's the end of the damn universe? Get the hell out of here! Expand
  72. Shannon
    Nov 2, 2002
    The best film out there! No nudity or sex or cussing make this movie great and true to it's Christian values (the author of the books, Tolkien, was Christian). I have finished reading the first two books in time for the first two movies. I hope the second film takes home more oscars than the first one.
  73. GeorgeW.
    Nov 22, 2002
    An epic fantasy film of the kind I've never seen and doubt I will ever see again.
  74. FMAVoltaire
    Nov 29, 2002
    Rating movies is a subjective thing, but only to a point. Anybody who rates this movie lower than 7 is simply seeking attention, and should not be taken seriously. Sort of like the guy who walks into a museum, looks at a Van Gogh, and says "my kid could do that with finger paints." Whatever. If you get your jollies by bashing a movie that 90+ percent of the population thinks is something Rating movies is a subjective thing, but only to a point. Anybody who rates this movie lower than 7 is simply seeking attention, and should not be taken seriously. Sort of like the guy who walks into a museum, looks at a Van Gogh, and says "my kid could do that with finger paints." Whatever. If you get your jollies by bashing a movie that 90+ percent of the population thinks is something close to a cinematic masterpiece, then you're a bit demented, don't you think? Expand
  75. DuncanS.
    Jan 15, 2002
    Rapture!
  76. GeordieS.
    Jan 17, 2002
    Out of this world - I loved it!
  77. LinseyP.
    Jan 18, 2002
    I loved the movie. It surpassed my expectations.
  78. JohnC.
    Jan 19, 2002
    This was one of the best movies I have ever seen. Everything was great!!
  79. SarahF.
    Dec 23, 2002
    Legolas is hot. and this movie is awesome.
  80. BevisBoy
    Feb 21, 2002
    Wow...splendid stuff. I read the book first and then saw the movie, and was completely blown away. An epic story made into an epic movie. And frankly speaking, the first book was actually very dull, compared to the next two books. So, hoping that the next two movies will top this one.
  81. GlenS.
    Mar 15, 2002
    Will be remembered in 100 years.
  82. ChrisS.
    Mar 29, 2002
    Totally unpredictable, fascinating, enthralling, chiling, refreshing, and just all out spectacular!
  83. Lauren
    Apr 21, 2002
    Absoulute thriller! It had comedy, tradity, it made me cry and mad me laugh. It was honestly the best movie of all time. The actors and actresses brought depth and feeling to every part in the movie. I loved this movie so much I rate it a 10 and above.
  84. KseniaC.
    Apr 26, 2002
    It's wonderful!!! The magic is real! And big thanx to PJ!
  85. Pink
    Jun 18, 2002
    Best that there was!!! (sorry to all the people that thought that it would have sex in it I guess that is why you gave such low marks but DMY). The special effects Rocked, the characters were well done the size and the look, the elf language was a great addition to the move and the story line makes you wanna have an adventure yourself. Can't wait for the next two.
  86. JackR.
    Aug 15, 2002
    Nicole, how COULDN'T you like this movie? I can understand not loving it, but giving it a 1 and even mentioning the words "Queen of the Damned" in its review is ridiculous. If you could at least give a reason not to like it, i might not think you're retarded.
  87. DonP.
    Sep 15, 2002
    It is impossible to judge this film outside of the context of Tolkein's creation, which has over the years provided one of the strongest mythical influences in modern literature - inspiring hundreds of other similar yarns from Star Wars to Harry Potter to the Narnia Tales and Dungeons and Dragons games. I read LOTR and the Hobbit 4 times as a child, and Tolkein transported me from my It is impossible to judge this film outside of the context of Tolkein's creation, which has over the years provided one of the strongest mythical influences in modern literature - inspiring hundreds of other similar yarns from Star Wars to Harry Potter to the Narnia Tales and Dungeons and Dragons games. I read LOTR and the Hobbit 4 times as a child, and Tolkein transported me from my boring suburban home to a world of fear and possibility, and nobleness, the likes of which we can use more of in these troubled time. I re-read the first book prior to seeing the movie, so I can't imagine how it would be viewed by someone unfamiliar with the tale I love so much. I was astounded. The vision was so well conceived, and so well edited to incorporate the most important story lines, and so bold in completely "going with" the themes Tolkien was using without trying to "reinterpret" or "Hollywoodize" as so many other failed adaptations do. I saw it 2 more times and cried and laughed each time, and saw more detail and more care each time. To the filmmakers: your care has not gone unnoticed nor unappreciated. Thank God this was made by a non-US director! Within the confines of a 3 hour movie, I can't imagine how it could be easily improved. I am excited to see the DVD version with more footage, and I only hope Jackson & Co do real justice to the trilogy by maintaining the level of quality in the 2 suceeding parts, which as books only get better. Finally I'd like to add that Ian McKellan was an excellent choice for Gandalf and he played the role perfectly. I have great respect for him as an actor and an individual, he encompasses the caring, the eloquence and the grandeur which defined Gandalf. He was robbed by the Academy! I hope this will inspire many to delve into the book, and as Galadriel says to Frodo, to remember that great deeds may come from the very smallest of people. Of that we are all capable. Expand
  88. LaF.
    Sep 23, 2002
    It's great!
  89. DebraM.
    Sep 28, 2002
    It is simply amazing. It's a whole other world. It has action, horror, adventure, romance, sci fi, historical fiction. What more can you ask for in a film?
  90. JohnnyBlaze
    Nov 29, 2003
    This is a marvel in modern moviemaking. Anyone who couldn't find this movie entertaing needs to develop a little something called IMAGINATION!!!!! No story?? Give me a break, there is a reason that these stories are some of the most famous, and best-selling books of all-time. Peter Jackson has done more than an admirable job of bringing the story to the big screen , and these movies This is a marvel in modern moviemaking. Anyone who couldn't find this movie entertaing needs to develop a little something called IMAGINATION!!!!! No story?? Give me a break, there is a reason that these stories are some of the most famous, and best-selling books of all-time. Peter Jackson has done more than an admirable job of bringing the story to the big screen , and these movies will go down in histroy as cinema classics. Enough said!!! Expand
  91. falcon88woods
    Feb 11, 2003
    Loved it. Absolutly brilliant. exactly what I think Middle Earth is like!
  92. TommyL.
    Mar 21, 2003
    One of those movies that just feels perfect from start to finish. I kind of know where people are coming from when they say that it was boring, but I thought every scene in the movie was perfectly executed.
  93. NathanH.
    May 14, 2003
    This is the best movie ever made, the only other movie that comes close to it is The Two Towers.
  94. GaladrielL.
    Jun 13, 2003
    Superb movie. Beautiful, moving, and fast-paced.
  95. Sammiv.
    Jun 24, 2003
    This was a great movie. it has become one of my personal favorites!
  96. JoshM.
    Apr 17, 2004
    Excellent! A truly amazing, captivating adventure. One of the greatest movies of all time!
  97. BritneyB.
    Apr 19, 2004
    Excellent. One of the best fantasies of all time. Peter Jackson & cast/crew have turned J.R.R. Tolkien's book into a fantastic movie.
  98. BoogerSnot
    Apr 27, 2004
    Some snooty people have given this movie a zero! Which is very uncalled for! I think you people have PMS! Give it another chance! Yes I do have reason to give it a ten! For people who think I'm just shooting the breeze. It had amazing effects that people worked hard on to impress you! Not for you to just sit there and critize. The acting was awesome, it had a good mix of actors. I Some snooty people have given this movie a zero! Which is very uncalled for! I think you people have PMS! Give it another chance! Yes I do have reason to give it a ten! For people who think I'm just shooting the breeze. It had amazing effects that people worked hard on to impress you! Not for you to just sit there and critize. The acting was awesome, it had a good mix of actors. I think its terrible to give this movie a zero! (Although I did have a problem with the fact that Arwen stole Glorfindell's part.) Expand
  99. chrism.
    Jan 28, 2005
    Great, great movie. emotional and detailed to the last scene. I did not read the book, but this movie makes me want to.
  100. IceFlow
    Aug 23, 2005
    I thnk it was a great movie!!!!!, and the fact that Orlando Bloom is in it makes it even better!!!!!!! The first movie was just getting the journey started. And all you guys who rated this movie below 4 can stuff it!!!

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.