9.0

1. Chris
    Sep 24, 2005
    I love this film. In fact I love all three. I cannot fault them. The backdrops is fantastic, the acting is fantastic and the soundtracks to all the LOTR films is just superb. Its also so nice to sit down and watch a film that does have some meaning and one that doesn't contain foul language these days.
  2. AnsonG.
    Jun 23, 2006
    Wonderful adventure movie. Best ever.
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    To describe this movie as merely epic would be a gross understatement. As epic movies go, it has all the diverse conflicted characters, fighting against insurmountable odds, clash of interests, difficult decisions concerning life and death, matters of the heart and so on.

The movie starts off with an introduction to the present conflict pervading Middle Earth. Sauron is established as the main villain. Not much is shown about his past. We do not know why these people are fighting against each other. You'll have to read The Hobbit or The Silmarillion to catch up on that. The rest of the first half hour is used to establish the abode of the Hobbits, The Shire.

Then the pace picks up as the main characters leave and we get to witness the vast abundance of Middle Earth, and its people and races including the Elves, who are the most intriguing of them all.

Aragorn, also called Strider, is the action go to guy. Far from home and not ever wishing to return, he literally strides into the story and takes command. He is the person most people would form a bond with, I know I did. Then there are others like Legolas, an elf; and the dwarf Gimli. They form the core among the group. And Boromir the son of the steward of Gondor, whose family has taken care of the affairs of the state with the departure of the last of the kings. Gandalf the grey, a member of the order of wizards, is the old guy counselling and protecting our protagonist, Frodo Baggins, on his quest to destroy the ring that can wield a power greater than any other.

Their journey is perilous, the odds pitted against them deadly. The Ringwraiths, servants of the Dark Lord Sauron, seek to return the ring of power to their master and cannot rest until they have done their duty. The Orcs or Goblins, a dark twisted species, are the footsoldiers of the evil side. As if this was not enough, the ring has the power to influence those around it toward claiming it for themselves and fight to the death for it. As Frodo's uncle Bilbo was the previous owner of the ring, it is felt that he would be better able to withstand its effects.

Peter Jackson has the talent to capture the sense of the epic with the camera angles he employs. Always in fear of failure to grasp the location of the visited places and their relativity to each other, I was amazed how easily everything became clear. The special effects were revolutionary for its time. The art department did a commendable job with the sets, costumes and make-up. The locations used for shooting were serene and exquisite, making me want to visit New Zealand where it was shot. The score did a wonderful job keeping you on the edge of your seat and never letting you really relax and lose the sense of urgency, though the greater credit for that feat has to go to the editor. I also watched the extended version of the film, so I can understand the decision to cut out several scenes of relative unimportance to the plot, but I found their presence to be complementary and fulfilling.

Fantasy movies are always hard to do right. People watching them are willing to be swept off their feet, yet slight inconsistencies could be disastrous. Jackson commits none of those mistakes. Fellowship is my favourite from the trilogy, as it focussed more on the characters. The major battles are part of the sequels, which some might find more alluring. This is a fantasy movie which was done perfectly, in my opinion, and the others in the genre should be held against it for comparison.

Extended edition felt more satisfying. Lady Galadriel had more scenes with the main characters, so did Aragorn and Boromir talking and arguing with each other. A bit of Galadriel's palace was shown. In the final skirmish with the Orcs, Boromir's and Aragorn's scenes were increased, making the sequences which felt rushed before more fleshed out and satisfying. A bit of humour was added too.
  4. Dec 29, 2014
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is a phenomenal beginning to a phenomenal trilogy. This movie nails every single aspect that it has perfectly. This is one of my favorite movies of all time.
  5. Aug 9, 2011
    This movie is the beginning of the best trilogy ever and it's so good! It brings humor, sad moments, intense battles and solid performances. Every character can be appreciated because they are all likable. This movie is ridiculously good
  6. Apr 1, 2012
    I'm coming to rate this movie because I remember when I first saw it in theaters years ago it is the only time while in a movie ever that I wished it wasn't over. It was enthralling and the film is just absolutely incredible. I cannot think of any movie since that I felt that way. Amazing story, great action, lots of different creatures... everything feels so real. You must see this!
  7. May 26, 2012
    Fellowship it has dazzling visual effects, great action and fantastic performances to spare, and manages to be as visually powerful as it is emotionally. I give this movie 96%.
  8. Aug 9, 2011
    LOTR destroyed my life . Why? Because i will never see such a perfect film ever.This trilogy will hard find its equal
  9. Aug 14, 2010
    I love all of the Lord of the Rings books and movies. Everything about them is absolutely stunning. They are timeless and will be appreciated forever. These will never be redone.
  10. Jul 21, 2011
    This film is my favorite of all time. I usually never give a 10, but I'll make an exception with this masterpiece. All three LOTR movies are excellent, but this one is the best.
  11. Mar 26, 2012
    An absolute masterpiece like no other. Peter Jackson has created something of pure brillance. It is brillantly executed, with powerful music, and a story that truly wonderful. Just think this is only the beginning.
  12. Jun 11, 2013
    A brilliant breathtaking spectacle would be an understatement. It unquestionably perfect, and because it is, I know I will never see a movie(trilogy) better than the Lord of the Rings.
  13. Feb 28, 2013
    A great film. When I watched the first 20 min of the film it had me. One great scene after another, great fantasy plot and awesome music. Deserves nothing less than the full score.
  14. Nov 19, 2011
    An epic beginning, known for its impeccable sound, the script developed, very faithful to the book, good performances, a show well done, as I can say about the soundtrack, direction, costumes, makeup, art direction and visual effects. In short, an excellent movie.
  15. Aug 25, 2012
    This is the second time I have seen this cut of the movie and, although it is very long, I must say I have seldom enjoyed a film as much. I will not try to compare the book with the film; I
  16. Oct 30, 2010
    Peter Jackson's first awesome fantasy debut in this brilliant masterpiece!
  17. Nov 14, 2012
    Lord of the Rings, transcending the genre of fantasy films, is brimming with invention and imagination. A must see!
  18. HaroonA.
    Feb 8, 2002
    As perfect an adaption as you will get. Rings fascinates, intrigues and creates middle earth.
  19. Will
    Apr 1, 2002
    I'm only not giving this film a "10" because there were still a few iddy-biddy gripes I had with it. HOWEVER, Lord of the Rings was ROBBED of Best Picture by an ever-increasingly geriatric Academy. Yes, I would have cast Saruman differently (he's supposed to look like a trustworthy guy), and I would have had Sean Bean (Boromir) aim for a higher degree of dynamics... but Peter I'm only not giving this film a "10" because there were still a few iddy-biddy gripes I had with it. HOWEVER, Lord of the Rings was ROBBED of Best Picture by an ever-increasingly geriatric Academy. Yes, I would have cast Saruman differently (he's supposed to look like a trustworthy guy), and I would have had Sean Bean (Boromir) aim for a higher degree of dynamics... but Peter Jackson couldn't've done much better than he did. This is in the 'must-see' column. Expand
  20. HarrisonB.
    Aug 8, 2004
    I've never read the books before, so I really didn't want to see this. But when I saw it, I loved it. It is so mesmorizing. Effects are one of the best. Loved the prologue, and loved the characters. Especially Aragorn, Legolas, and the hobbits. Gimli was good. The only thing I thought was a little weird was the ending. But I must say I am very dissapointed with some of the I've never read the books before, so I really didn't want to see this. But when I saw it, I loved it. It is so mesmorizing. Effects are one of the best. Loved the prologue, and loved the characters. Especially Aragorn, Legolas, and the hobbits. Gimli was good. The only thing I thought was a little weird was the ending. But I must say I am very dissapointed with some of the reviews that gave this movie a bad rating. And who ever did, this is a tip, IT'S?A?MOVIE!!!!!! You don't have to hate it because it's different from the book. It's still a great movie. Very good movie. Expand
    Dec 19, 2001
    The spirit is alive in this movie. Would I have done a few things differently, yes. Was it possible to get the entire book into a movie in under 3 hours, no. Most cuts were reasonable. The cast was appropriate (particularly the hobbits and Aragorn). In all, I loved it.
  22. ChrisP.
    Dec 28, 2001
    I haven't read the book yet (I've been... uh... busy) so with nothing to compare it to I think that this movie is amazing. I was kind of annoyed at the whole "comic-relief hobbits" deal but, if that's the whole point of hobbits, then maybe I should be giving the movie a 10. I don't think it is, so I won't.
  23. Richard
    Aug 14, 2002
    As good as can be expected from an historically unfilmable book. Surprisingly emotionally involving, especially towards the end. A promising start, and since things get only more interesting from here on in I look forward to see what Jackson has in store.
  24. DanielleB.
    Nov 13, 2004
    I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!
  25. AndrewM.
    Jul 14, 2004
    I haven't read the books...so I can only comment on what I saw and what I experienced when watching this film. And I will keep it short... This is grand filmmaking in the utmost sense. Jackson and co. know and use their tools so adriotly, so passionately, that they have created not just a film but a work of art. It truly is stunning! The story at times is a little slow, but that is I haven't read the books...so I can only comment on what I saw and what I experienced when watching this film. And I will keep it short... This is grand filmmaking in the utmost sense. Jackson and co. know and use their tools so adriotly, so passionately, that they have created not just a film but a work of art. It truly is stunning! The story at times is a little slow, but that is only a reflection of the depth of Tolkien's novels, and also the knowledge of the filmmakers in depicting what they believe important for the film to work, and discarding what is not needed. The slower parts are there for a reason and actually enhance the overall experience. As for the action/war scenes, they are simply mindblowing! If anybody is not satisfied or impressed (if not astonished) with the visuals and sound recording in these scenes, they are never going to be. It just doesn't get any better than this! It's not a film intended for a once-only viewing; there is so much more to glean and sop up here. On a final note, one of the most impressive things about this film is that it works so effectively on it's own, even though it is an adapted work from a trilogy. Doesn't get a 10 only because one of the sequels may be better...though I don't know how! Expand
  26. ChrisR.
    Dec 19, 2001
    Star what? George who? Forget about that washed-up, crazy old man and go see the film that's gonna school him but good... An incredible portrayal of a palpable and furious Evil and the weariness that comes from staying just one step ahead of it.
  27. Feb 23, 2011
    The scene where Gandalf fights the Balrog in the mines is easily the worst movie scene of all times. All that money for CGI, and they come up with THAT ?
    The problem with that movie is: everthing is meant to be SO meaningful. It is like an actor laughing at his own jokes. The futile attempt to create depth and meaning in each and every single scene completely destroys the movie, and the story.
  28. FayeG.
    Sep 11, 2002
    I LOVED IT!!!!!!
  29. May 26, 2011
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and its sequels are the only fantasy films based on books that have not disappointed me. I know that that isn't really saying much with great disapointments such as the Harry Potter movies, Twilight Saga and Eragon (yeah, I'm young) -Oh, and the Chronicles of Narnia, but this really is worth watching whether you read the books or not. BasedThe Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and its sequels are the only fantasy films based on books that have not disappointed me. I know that that isn't really saying much with great disapointments such as the Harry Potter movies, Twilight Saga and Eragon (yeah, I'm young) -Oh, and the Chronicles of Narnia, but this really is worth watching whether you read the books or not. Based on the first two The Lord of the Rings books by J.R.R. Tolkien it is a typical fantasy with elfs, dwarfs, wizards and goblins(called Orcs) but is boosted up to such an epic scale. Peter Jackson and everyone else who worked on this film really knew what they were doing. Now stop reading this rambling of text and go watch the movie. Rent it if you have to. Just don't let this one by you. Umm... Why are you still here? Expand
  30. VladimirP.
    Feb 4, 2002
    Cool!
  31. AndrewC.
    Feb 1, 2002
    What else can I say? Great film. Can't wait for the upcoming sequels.
  32. RyanM.
    Dec 31, 2001
    One of the best adventure movies of the decade! It's not scared to be what it wants to be...which is long, audacious and anything but the ordinary adventure film.
  33. MichaelM.
    Mar 10, 2002
    This movie is terrific! I've never been one for Tolkien, but the movie is outstanding. I've gone back to see it five times.
  34. Stefi
    Feb 27, 2003
    A great depiction of Tolkien's book. Good acting, imagery, and real emotion make the fantasy believable.
  35. LindaL.
    Apr 30, 2003
    Nearly perfect. This movie takes you into middle earth and leaves you begging for the next installment.
  36. CameronS.
    Mar 31, 2004
    This movie was a classic. peter jackson has taken a book and turned it into a masterpiece!
  37. JamesM
    Nov 19, 2005
    What a magnificent and striking this film is. Masquerading as commercial entertainment, The Fellowship of the Ring sometimes borders on being art, and demonstrates was is possible when a truly brave filmmaker is given a good idea and a large budget. A must see.
  38. Leo
    Dec 8, 2005
    Amazing Film.
  39. DaveL.
    Dec 19, 2001
    Had a few minor annoyances, but had the same annoyances with the novels. But in most ways, it's absolutely tremendous, and certainly deserves Best Picture consideration. And as visual spectacle, it's astounding.
  40. MarkM.
    Dec 22, 2001
    A true masterpiece of epic film-making. I was swept away by this film from the very start. Whether it be the intimately emotional character development of the hobbit characters or the sweeping vistas of Middle-Earth (via New Zealand), this film is one of the most breathtaking I've seen since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It easily trumps any and every other fantasy film from A true masterpiece of epic film-making. I was swept away by this film from the very start. Whether it be the intimately emotional character development of the hobbit characters or the sweeping vistas of Middle-Earth (via New Zealand), this film is one of the most breathtaking I've seen since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It easily trumps any and every other fantasy film from Excalibur to Dungeons & Dragons and stands with its head held high among even such recent classics as Braveheart and Gladiator, beating out both with its charm and humanity as well as its stirring battle sequences and stunning visual FX. (Gollum is only briefly glimpsed in his 10 or 20 seconds onscreen but is easily 10x better in rendering than the any and all of Jar Jar's renderings in The Phantom Menace.) The emotional resonance of this film left me deeply moved at several points -- to the point of tears at two points -- and is touching in its portrayal of all the characters involved. In short, if you see only one film this holiday season, SEE THIS ONE. It will not disappoint. Expand
  41. AlY.
    Dec 31, 2001
    So good I can't help myself. I am reading the book again. Only small problems: moments of disconnect (who is Boromir, where did he come from, and why does he look so much like the other guy?), one or two small plot devices were added unnecessarily to keep the pace frantic (why did we need that thing from 20,000 leagues under the sea). Oh well. Bravo!
  42. PaulaW.
    Dec 30, 2001
    Forget the fantasy clichés you've been snickering at: the flimsy plots, the names like Zrhkyn, the maidens in cleavage-enhancing breastplates. This is fantasy at its best, the way it was meant to be before the tacky airbrushed book and album covers of the 1970's gave it a bad name. Little Frodo Baggins races through a truly imaginative landscape fraught with magic and Forget the fantasy clichés you've been snickering at: the flimsy plots, the names like Zrhkyn, the maidens in cleavage-enhancing breastplates. This is fantasy at its best, the way it was meant to be before the tacky airbrushed book and album covers of the 1970's gave it a bad name. Little Frodo Baggins races through a truly imaginative landscape fraught with magic and peril to destroy a ring with dark powers before the evil Lord Sauron can get a hold of it, and grows up along the way. Elijah Wood does a good job with Frodo's transformation from young hayseed to warrior. Standouts also include Ian Holm as Bilbo and Ian McKellen as Gandalf, along with familiar faces like Hugo Weaving (from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert) and Liv Tyler for a dash of female interest in an otherwise very boyish adventure. True, the plot is condensed, but in ways that make sense. The effects are very good, the scenery is gorgeous, and there is plenty of pulse-racing action. It's not all good looks either: every emotion seems sincere. Simply put, this epic beats the pants off anything ever dreamed up by George Lucas. If you never see another fantasy or sci-fi flick, you should see this one. Expand
  43. AdamE.
    Nov 21, 2002
    A truly brilliant masterpiece. A great adaptation of the book that results in a gripping and impressive adventure. The film itself is, I have to admit, a bit too long!
  44. TrystanS.
    Nov 7, 2002
    One of the coolest 2001 movies, yet, the saddest of all movies, I was drowning in tears the very first time I saw this movie. Even with almost all of us in the audience crying, this was as cool as Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone and Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas!
  45. Stick
    Dec 16, 2002
    I rated this movie when it came out in theaters at only a 7. After seeing the extended version on DVD, I give it a 9. The extra footage helped capture more of the true story because it developed the characters more.
  46. TaylorJ.
    Mar 22, 2003
    "The Fellowship of the Ring" is the best adaptation since "Gone With The Wind". It's a movie that crushes a bestselling novel into a timeframe that warns you of that Godzilla-sized soda: You WILL miss something. "Fellowship" has heart, action and above all, a magical story of good versus evil in which that even the smallest person can change the future. It's not perfect, but "The Fellowship of the Ring" is the best adaptation since "Gone With The Wind". It's a movie that crushes a bestselling novel into a timeframe that warns you of that Godzilla-sized soda: You WILL miss something. "Fellowship" has heart, action and above all, a magical story of good versus evil in which that even the smallest person can change the future. It's not perfect, but Peter Jackson has certainly accomplished something. Expand
  47. JoelA.
    Apr 22, 2003
    A great movie with Frodo and all.
  48. KatieM.
    Oct 28, 2005
    The
  49. Feb 1, 2011
    A fantastic and magical voyage to the unique world created by Tolkien. I think this is the best movie they could have done with this novel; they have captured the atmosphere excellently, and you can see this concretely at the beginning of the film, in The Shire (if I just could live there...). The interpretations are very good, except of Elijah Wood... he doesn't do it bad, but I neverA fantastic and magical voyage to the unique world created by Tolkien. I think this is the best movie they could have done with this novel; they have captured the atmosphere excellently, and you can see this concretely at the beginning of the film, in The Shire (if I just could live there...). The interpretations are very good, except of Elijah Wood... he doesn't do it bad, but I never liked him at all. Great movie, highly recommended to the people that likes this... magical and mystical stuff. Expand
  50. Apr 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The greatest movie I have ever ever ever seen...The actors are all great...No man can make a film like this...I am waiting for The Hobbit...everyone is waiting for this movie... Expand
  51. Jul 31, 2012
    A brilliant start to an exceptional franchise. In this movie we begin to unwrap the wonderful yet dangerous world of Middle-Earth, and just like the book, it is presented in a marvelous fashion. Some book adaptions are terrible, and this is the farthest you can get from one of them.
  52. Jan 28, 2012
    The Fellowship of the Ring was one of the best movies I have ever seen that was made from a book. It is one of those you would want to see again and again. It is based on the book by J.R.R Tolkien, and an amazing cast was selected. Peter Jackson did a fantastic job with the plot, dialogue, characters of Middle Earth. I was astonished by the special effects this movie had to offer,The Fellowship of the Ring was one of the best movies I have ever seen that was made from a book. It is one of those you would want to see again and again. It is based on the book by J.R.R Tolkien, and an amazing cast was selected. Peter Jackson did a fantastic job with the plot, dialogue, characters of Middle Earth. I was astonished by the special effects this movie had to offer, especially a scene with the demon Balrog. I would definitely recommend buying this. Seriously, go out and buy it today! Expand
  53. Dec 28, 2012
    A journey like no other, a grand adventure never before filmed, and a movie that is exciting from start to finish, this movie has an undeniable epic sweep that will take you in to the lush atmosphere of Middle Earth.
  54. Aug 24, 2014
    A modern epic. A new classic. The Fellowship of the Ring kickstarts one of the finest trilogies in cinematic history. What Peter Jackson is able to accomplish, alongside an impeccable cast and crew, is astounding.
  55. Jul 12, 2012
    I will admit that it could have been a bit shorter, but the Fellowship of the Ring makes up for its length with its astounding visuals, tight performances and direction, compelling dialogue and terrific action sequences.
  56. Oct 21, 2012
    Awesome actors,an amazing director and a genius screenplay.This is a great movie based on a book.Despite that,there's an action scene where gandalf and sauron fight.It don't have good angles.The sound is terrible.The movies of 2001 don't have good sound.But there are 4 movies that it can have great sound:
    -Amélie
    -Black Hawk Down -Moulin Rouge! -Pearl Harbor The movie shows a
    -Amélie
    -Black Hawk Down
    -Moulin Rouge!
    -Pearl Harbor
    The movie shows a cliffhanger.A cliffhanger is the thing you can note a second part.
  57. Dec 8, 2012
    Sin ser fan de la Trilogía ni haber leído los libros, pienso que el producto es notable y necesario revisitar de cuando en cuando. Personajes muy bien definidos. Buenos actores que saltaron a la fama con esta trilogía. Tierra Media creíble. Momentos divertidos como la lucha entre los 2 magos, estando Ian McKellen y Christopher Lee un poco mayores para tantosSin ser fan de la Trilogía ni haber leído los libros, pienso que el producto es notable y necesario revisitar de cuando en cuando. Personajes muy bien definidos. Buenos actores que saltaron a la fama con esta trilogía. Tierra Media creíble. Momentos divertidos como la lucha entre los 2 magos, estando Ian McKellen y Christopher Lee un poco mayores para tantos trotes. Momentos de nerviosismo como cuando atraviesan la Mina de Moria. Quizá demasiado larga, aunque muy recomendable. Expand
  58. Dec 5, 2012
    "The Fellowship of the Ring" is a triumph. Despite its lofty and seemingly "unfilmable" source material, it manages to convey the spirit of J.R.R Tolkien's masterwork.
  59. Jan 3, 2013
    With a virtual pantheon of lovable characters, a legendarily unmistakable score, a mirthful set of special effects, and a truly engrossing story jet-pumped full of classic lore, Peter Jackson's first installment of his "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy makes for a truly indelible and worthwhile filmic escape.
  60. Dec 27, 2012
    A great film and the start of an epic adventure. The characters, story line, special effects are all amazing. One of the best films of all time since "a new hope".
  61. May 19, 2013
    Although somewhat inconsistent the first installment of the trilogy by Peter J. reach its goal, which is introduced in the magical world of Tolkien,with good characters and a broad cast the film holds the attention in ways never seen, and leaves us eager to see the sequel.
  62. Nov 29, 2013
    This is just an epic movie. It does have a long runtime, but that is no excuse to call this movie bad.It made me a LOTR fan, and now nothing can change me. It has the dark sense that I imagined the with the books.
  63. JaredC.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Peter Jackson awakens us into this breathtaking astonishing trilogy The Lord of the Rings. Jackson views a unique conception of fantasy and engages us with plenty of detail. After that crap animated Lord of the Rings came out, I could never get the horrific sensation of bad elements in the film out of my head. But in The Fellowship, Jackson amazes our pupils and widens our hearts into his Peter Jackson awakens us into this breathtaking astonishing trilogy The Lord of the Rings. Jackson views a unique conception of fantasy and engages us with plenty of detail. After that crap animated Lord of the Rings came out, I could never get the horrific sensation of bad elements in the film out of my head. But in The Fellowship, Jackson amazes our pupils and widens our hearts into his beautiful imagination that will be cherished for generations. The soudtrack will raise your heart strings as every scene has its own heartwarming beat or song that brings each a favorable rhythm each time a new place in the story is discovered to develop more build-up in the plot and setting. The Shire, Rivendell, Lothlorien, Moria, and Amon-Hen each have their own soundtrack so when you think of that one place, you think of the music Howard Shore uses in that setting. The character development is tremendous and each and every image in this film is absolutely beautiful. Jackson succeeds in this brilliant and amazing picture and will now be defined as a master movie-maker. The Fellowship of the Ring is highly recommended and magnificent. Expand
  64. StephenD.
    Dec 19, 2001
    This movie couldn't have been made any better, having chosen the specific flavor they were going for. This said, it's actually multi-flavored: I laughed, cried, gasped - the whole gammut.
  65. AlanH.
    Dec 19, 2001
    Epic! Several amazing and thrilling adventures in one great film! I can't wait for the next one!
  66. CraigW.
    Dec 19, 2001
    Splendid adaptation of a truly classic 20th century book. It follows that some characters and scenes had to be edited (if not omitted) but the body of the work lies intact. It makes you laugh, cry, and even hope for the people on screen. A brilliant first of three.
  67. EricB.
    Dec 24, 2001
    The greatest adventure of all time.. adapted to the movie screen in absolute perfection. It doesn't get any better than this.
  68. Sep 30, 2013
    It's strange and quite gut-wrenching to think that as I review this, the first part of arguably one of the best trilogies to grace cinema was released 12 years ago, but it's fascinating at how much there has been since then, yet this trilogy has withstood the test of countless blockbusters and attempts at recreating it fantastical adventures. Peter Jackson brings to life the vision thatIt's strange and quite gut-wrenching to think that as I review this, the first part of arguably one of the best trilogies to grace cinema was released 12 years ago, but it's fascinating at how much there has been since then, yet this trilogy has withstood the test of countless blockbusters and attempts at recreating it fantastical adventures. Peter Jackson brings to life the vision that author J.R.R. Tolkien envisioned in his fantastic books, full of heart, colourful characters and magical elements that set it heads above the competition, truly an adventure like no other. While much of the film shows the advancements of computer-generated magnificence, it possesses a very human touch from its ensemble cast and riveting stories that each of them tell, the biggest of course being that of Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood), a hobbit who lead a simple way of life in the Shire, a quiet and peaceful place for those quite content with the easier but finer things in life, but as our story goes, Frodos uncle, Bilbo, holds a secret that changes the tone for the foreseeable future, as an evil is coming and Frodo holds the power to stop it, various events lead to Frodo and his other Hobbit friends Sam, Pippin and Merry (Sam Astin, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan) setting out to destroy the ring in the place it was forged, the fiery Mount Doom. But as mentioned, there is more than this story being told, we meet shadowy ranger Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) who is certainly more than meets the eye, while we also have a hawk-eyed elf called Legolas (Orlando Bloom), the outspoken but proud Boromir (Sean Bean) and a hot-tempered dwarf called Gimli (John Rys-Davies). The ring itself is a tempting power, a power that can entice and corrupt at any given moment, Ian McKellan plays an ageing wizard called Gandalf the Grey, who knows exactly what this ring is capable of, but is willing to guide this Fellowship until the end. This first entry combines everything into a near flawless film, fantasy, story-driven, violent, epic emotional and touching where it matters most, we don't have a perfect fellowship of individuals here, we have foes, untrustworthy acquaintances, accidental travellers and some not really wanting to be there, but they are all driven my one goal, one that will see them travel across Middle Earth to complete. Peter Jackson perfectly captures a world unlike any other, occupying it with magical mischief and all sorts of good and evil, which the film perfectly represents, it mixes light and dark and often cuts deeply into the flaws of both, while also showing first hand the power of the two on a massive scale, there's nothing quite like it.
    The mesmerising cinematography outlines the scope of the film, from lush green landscapes to the snow-covered mountaintops and deep into the underground, each place vastly different than the last, full of beauty, terror, frightening beings with groundbreaking effects, costumes and real landscapes that bring it to life, but this isn't possible without the phenomenal cast in tow. Ian McKellan and Viggo Mortensen are standouts of the film, engrossed in their characters where we can truly feel safe with them as we trek through Middle Earth, but the then relatively unknown Elijah Wood does an excellent job as the likeable Frodo, keeping a level head but standing up when necessary. Smaller roles are also filled by big stars such as Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee and Liv Tyler, who are on hand at various pit stops for the group to offer advice and solitude, or two bow to a greater force.
    This is undoubtedly a benchmark in cinema, combining so many elements of grandeur and action that its hard to find fault, it moves at a fluid pace and the long run time is not noticeable or over-bearing, we have so much to see, feel and admire that it feels right to watch this trilogy consecutively, otherwise the moment can indeed be spoiled, it surpasses all expectations and is simply sublime filmmaking, and it only gets better.
  69. May 20, 2014
    I never got into this movie when I saw it in the theater back in 2001. And even after I saw it again and "found" it, "The Fellowship of the Ring" has always remained the part of the trilogy I like the least. Not that it's saying much, considering how much I like the others.

The beginning of the movie is slow (but not as slow as the book's), setting an image of a peaceful folk called Hobbits, who don't like trouble and like to eat lots - enjoyed with good ale and excellent pipe weed.

But then there are the Bagginses... They are not like the other Hobbits - not quite. When Frodo and Sam - with the addition of Merry and Pippin - head out towards the town of Bree, it is soon clear that their Hobbit lifestyle is gone for now.

Innocence is pushed away as we plunge into dark, grim tale of bloody history and heroes who failed and fell to the temptation of the One Ring.

My favorite part starts when the Hobbits, led by Strider, later known as Aragorn, reach Rivendell.

I could go on and on about the wonderful cast that I fell in love with, and whose performances keep getting better and better as their characters grow. Orlando Bloom as Legolas had always been my favorite. Merry and Pippin (Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd) offer the flawless comic relief more times than you could ask for it.

As for the others... The Elves are enchanting, and their homes just blow your mind with their beauty. The Nazgûl are hauntingly beautiful and terrible at the same time. The scenery, before and after the Fellowship has been chosen, is so beautiful it's hard to imagine you would have a hard time traveling it; New Zealand at its best.

Although there are small mistakes here and there (most of them funny when you know where to look), and the "size-doubles" don't work very well at times, you forgive them because the story is great. It just doesn't matter.

Like in all the parts of the trilogy, they balance action scenes very well with the calmer ones. You don't get bored. There are a lot of funny moments that reflect on the differences between the characters - and at the same time show you just how they are bonding with each other. This is what makes the next parts so amazing; you actually care about what happens to each and every one of them, and they do not remain hollow and meaningless.

If something needs to be complained about, it is the few quick cuts within a scene between Saruman and Gandalf in Isengard; the dialogue flows but we are taken from one place to another. But that's a minor thing, and in a way, it really works. It just seemed a bit odd in the perfect flow of everything else. Like they wanted to do the same scene in different places at once.

The movie ends in a good spot, leaving us hanging just the right way. It gives you just the right kind of itch to watch the next movie - and then the final one.

And by the way, if you can get your hands on the extended version, don't bother with the theater release. The longer the better, says I!
  70. Apr 3, 2012
    Con efectso especiales del mejor nivel, con actuaciones merecedoras de Oscar, con una historia simplemente fantastica y con una perfecta direccion de Peter Jackson , The Fellowship of the Rings logra establecer espectativa a lo que seria la mejor trilogia de todos los timepos.
  71. Dec 6, 2013
    The first film of the series, "LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring" is emotionally fulfilling, brilliantly plotted and exciting. This movie is a masterpiece and a textbook example on how to create an epic adventure. The special extended edition, at 208 minutes, does not seem overlong at all.
  72. Jun 9, 2014
    This absolutely floored me. I was always a doubter, thinking that there is no way this was as good as people said it was. Boy was I ever wrong. Phenomenal film. The visual effects were absolutely dazzling (seriously, could one "set" not be absolutely breathtaking, please?), the cinematography was great, the score was pitch perfect, and the acting was great as well. It is amazing how IThis absolutely floored me. I was always a doubter, thinking that there is no way this was as good as people said it was. Boy was I ever wrong. Phenomenal film. The visual effects were absolutely dazzling (seriously, could one "set" not be absolutely breathtaking, please?), the cinematography was great, the score was pitch perfect, and the acting was great as well. It is amazing how I could sleep so hard on this one. I am unfamiliar with the novels, but still, seeing this world come to life is amazing. On top of everything I mentioned, the action is always amazingly put together and the CGI is used to perfection. Another thing is this one's corner is the fact that its 3 hour run time simply did not feel like 3 hours. The time really flew by and never really dragged. Typically, with films of this length, there are some things that feel like extra, but here, everything included was undoubtedly needed. Ultimately, as the first film in the trilogy, this one sets up the following two films very well. It is amazing to think that this is often considered the lesser of the three films. Expand
  73. Jul 14, 2014
    Honestly I was scared to start watching this trilogy. I figured that the second I started watching I would lose the next 12 hours of my life.
    I was right.
    The second I started this one up, I knew that it was going to be amazing. Everything about it is on point. The acting, script, the score, everything. The cinematography was so good my jaw dropped regularly. Just watch it. Please. It's
    I was right.
    Just watch it. Please. It's amazing.
  74. Jun 6, 2013
    It's a truly great movie. The cast was incredible and they really brought the characters and story to life, most notably Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Christopher Lee as Saruman, and Sean Bean as Boromir, quite possibly my favorite character of the movie. There wasn't a lot of action, but it was a good set up for the rest of the series. Translating the book to the big screen is difficult,It's a truly great movie. The cast was incredible and they really brought the characters and story to life, most notably Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Christopher Lee as Saruman, and Sean Bean as Boromir, quite possibly my favorite character of the movie. There wasn't a lot of action, but it was a good set up for the rest of the series. Translating the book to the big screen is difficult, but Peter Jackson did a good job of it. It's one of the better movies I've seen. Expand
  75. Jun 20, 2013
    "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" is a magnificent experience, with breathtaking visuals, and a heart warming adventure, it is absolutely one of the greatest movies ever made.
  76. Jul 14, 2013
    A great fantasy film that boasts of great acting, cool visuals, awesome music and spectacular cinematography. I really loved this film and I personally think this is still the best of the 'Rings' trilogy with its more adventure feel along with emotional concept in the story setting. This is a classic film that I really love and admire.
  77. Jul 24, 2013
    It is an epic adventure and Peter Jackson created a fantastic Middle-Earth. The battle scenes are great and I especially enjoyed the battle of Amon Hen where Boromir died.
  78. Dec 9, 2014
    A wonderful and touching movie that truly is entertaining to watch.

A wonderful and touching movie that truly is entertaining to watch.

The Fellowship of the Ring is a highly unique movie, and it keeps me entertained every time I watch it, because it’s so damn good and the music is spectacular! Yes, some people might experience some slow and boring scenes, but I didn’t find anything boring at all, because the story and the characters totally keeps me entertained every time I watch it. I’m also thrilled by how great Peter Jackson did the movie, because there’s almost nothing negative about The Fellowship of the Ring. One thing though, is the CGI. There are a lot of practical effects that totally is superior of todays CGI, and the CGI in The Fellowship of the Ring is amazing if you look at it from a 2000s perspective. I’m stunned how incredible they made this film, but if you look closely there are some vague CGI, but I don’t really care. Because the plot of The Fellowship of the Ring is stunning.

This is one of the best movies of the 2000s.

The Fellowship of the Ring gets a 9/10.
  79. Jul 26, 2013
    "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" is one of the best movies of all time; maybe the greatest fantasy/adventure movie ever made...10/10
  80. Jul 31, 2013
    This movie is definitely the most underrated movie in what I would call the "Middle Earth saga" ('The Hobbit' trilogy and 'The Lord of The Rings' trilogy) this movie also carries the most emotional moments in the series too, whether this will change in the two upcoming hobbit movies unknown.
  81. Feb 2, 2014
    The first Lord of the Rings is the best. I'm not one to flock to sci-fi movies, but I find this series to be the epitome of the genre. All of the movies can be enjoyed by almost anyone, and not just fans, which makes these movies even more amazing.
  82. Oct 27, 2013
    this first the lord of the rings is absolutely amazing and epic,the battle scenes and the story that is running out is terrific,and the finalyou saw that there is a lot to happen yet.
  83. Aug 12, 2014
    So where do even begin? This film is the start to a truely legendary film series. This one is my personal favourite film of the three and of all time of course. I can easily say that all three of these films are some of the best films you will see at this time. All three deserve all of the praise they have recieved. Back to this film, the story is so interesting and immersing that you willSo where do even begin? This film is the start to a truely legendary film series. This one is my personal favourite film of the three and of all time of course. I can easily say that all three of these films are some of the best films you will see at this time. All three deserve all of the praise they have recieved. Back to this film, the story is so interesting and immersing that you will feel the insensitivity the excitement the emotion and everything pretty much. The atmosphere of middle earth gives you a masterful sense of adventure that no other films can quite capture to immerse you in. The characters in this are so badass and relatable that you can easily care what happens to them. Sure this film has a slow start but this kind of start really does speak to you unlike many other slow starts as it wins you over with the world of middle earth. The cgi is still good even now and believe me when I say this the people who made these films are like the cgi gods you will buy that the cgi characters In this look real and it keeps you Expand
  84. May 25, 2014
    I just cant decide between this movie and the 3rd LOTR movie of which is my favourite. The action and story is amazing and keeps you glued to the screen from start to end!
  85. May 28, 2015
    I love all three Lord of the Rings films, they all flow so well together and they really build up such an epic and amazing story. The first film definitely starts things right with the trilogy, It may not be as action packed when compared to it sequels but it's still solid entertainment, and when the action does happen it's really a lot of fun to watch. This film also feels so magical andI love all three Lord of the Rings films, they all flow so well together and they really build up such an epic and amazing story. The first film definitely starts things right with the trilogy, It may not be as action packed when compared to it sequels but it's still solid entertainment, and when the action does happen it's really a lot of fun to watch. This film also feels so magical and you will almost appreciate this film's lighthearted feeling once the sequels start taking darker turns. I remember already being in awe of this film near the beginning when Gandalf first enters the Shire just because of how cool the Shire environment is and mainly because of the beautiful music playing in the background. The characters are also very likable, each one feels unique in a certain way. Overall I would highly recommend not just this film but the entire LOTR trilogy to anyone who likes good films about epic adventures and fantasy settings. Expand
  86. May 5, 2014
    A fun engaging movie that captures the spirit of its books. The Lord of the Rings 1 has a great cast, score, effects, action, you name it. Even though this film is nearly 3 hours, and feels like it, but you dont get bored of it.
  87. Aug 9, 2014
    If this isn't the best set of fantasy movies then I don't what is. Others tend to disagree but I think The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is the best of the trilogy with The Return of the King not far behind a brilliant movie. With great heart and respect.
  88. Jul 30, 2014
    A film that combines fantasy, adventure, romance, humour and horror, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is an unquestionable masterpiece. Jackson's accomplished direction and Lesnie's beautiful cinematography are to praise for this exceptional result signed by a magnificent performance by McKellen and many commendable others. The film has a dark tone that creates a thrilling and engrossingA film that combines fantasy, adventure, romance, humour and horror, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is an unquestionable masterpiece. Jackson's accomplished direction and Lesnie's beautiful cinematography are to praise for this exceptional result signed by a magnificent performance by McKellen and many commendable others. The film has a dark tone that creates a thrilling and engrossing atmosphere which breaths life into Tolkien's epic and casts a spell on the audience. Among its engaging sequences are the incidents at the mines of Moria, a true gem as they appear on screen. The visuals are truly stunning and the CGI splendid, from the magical Rivendell to the Balrog's inferno. Everything is bound together with Shore's Wagner-inspired orchestral score and evolves into one of the greatest cinematic achievements of 21-century film history. Expand
  89. Jan 26, 2015
    Half of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is lighthearted, and the other half is a dark, mature, fantasy tale. Either way though, Fellowship is a thoroughly enjoyable fantasy romp filled with fun, lovable characters, fantastic acting, a captivating story, truly pulse-pounding action sequences, and a surprising emotional impact. This film set the stage perfectly for its twoHalf of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is lighthearted, and the other half is a dark, mature, fantasy tale. Either way though, Fellowship is a thoroughly enjoyable fantasy romp filled with fun, lovable characters, fantastic acting, a captivating story, truly pulse-pounding action sequences, and a surprising emotional impact. This film set the stage perfectly for its two sequels.

I give it a rating of 9.7/10, and it is one of my ten favorite films of all time.
  90. Jan 6, 2015
    One of the best movies of all time. It has an epic plot with incredable acting and some of the most beautiful scenes on the planet. It was unlike anything I have scene before. Some people say that Game of Thrones surpasses this. I can't believe it.
  91. Oct 18, 2014
    An epic adventure of good against evil, a story of the power of friendship and individual courage, and the heroic quest to pave the way for the emergence of mankind, J.R.R. Tolkien's master work brought to cinematic life.
  92. Nov 13, 2014
    Fantastic in both presentation and immersion, this iteration of Tolkien's masterpiece is well done. Having both the greatest mentor of cinema and the greatest adventure in literature, this rendition will never be forgotten.
  93. Dec 20, 2014
    I must admit that I was never interested on watching "The Lord of the Rings" franchise, but when I decided to watch it, my conception about fantasy revolutionized.
    Marvelous screenplay. Extremely faithful to Professor Tolkien's novel. Peter Jackson took risks on adapting the trilogy to the big screen, but surely we can affirm: the risk was worth it.
  94. Mar 6, 2015
    an epic movie although the first half are pretty damn boring and the second one i just saying " awesome". in began you will see how beautiful this film. very recommend film if you have so many times :D
  95. Mar 11, 2015
    Honestly the one of the most incredible movies I have ever seen, and the fact that it was made 14 years ago makes it even more spectacular. Amazing acting, amazing characters, amazing scenery, amazing actions, amazing story, amazing everything!
  96. Mar 13, 2015
    The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowhip of the Ring bring me to a new world. This movie is so damn beautiful with the awesome soundtrack. I really have no idea about this
  97. Apr 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brooking no argument, history should quickly regard Peter Jackson’s The Fellowship Of The Ring as the first instalment of the best fantasy epic in motion picture history. This statement is worthy of investigation for several reasons.

Fellowship is indeed merely an opening salvo, and even after three hours in the dark you will likely exit the cinema ravenous with anticipation for the further two parts of the trilogy. Fellowship is also unabashedly rooted in the fantasy genre. Not to be confused with the techno-cool of good science fiction, nor even the cutesy charm of family fare like Harry Potter, the territory of Tolkien is clearly marked by goo and goblins and **** Persons with an aversion to lines such as, “To the bridge of Khazad-dûm!” are as well to stay within the Shire-like comforts of home (their loss).

With those caveats in place, it bears repeating: fantasy does not come finer. There are electrifying moments — notably the computer-assisted swooping camera through Isengard as it transforms into a factory for evil — when Jackson’s flight of fancy approaches the sublime as the romantic poets would understand it: inspiring awe.

Leaving aside the thorny issue of Tolkien die-hards and their inevitable gripes — “What no Tom Bombadil?” — Jackson’s screenplay (written in collaboration with Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boyens) is both bolder and more judicious than Steven Kloves’ surprisingly timid retread of Harry Potter. In particular, rescuing the romance of Arwen and Aragorn from the footnotes and the elevation of Saruman to all-action bad guy actually has a corrective influence on Tolkien’s often oblique and female-sparse source material.

There are problems, though. The three-hour running time is high on incident and low on discernible form. After successive detours to Elf habitats Rivendell (the watery home of Elrond) and Lothlórien (the forest home of the Lady Galadriel), the uninitiated might well ask why these crazy Elf kids can’t just live together and spare us all this attenuated dramatic structure.

More importantly, the action clearly climaxes in the desperate flight from the Mines Of Moria, where the largely seamless SFX is showcased in the best possible light — total darkness — but the narrative demands a different, downbeat ending. Indeed, but for some fine emotional playing from Bean, Mortensen, Astin and Wood, the final fight might feel like a particularly brutal game of paintball in Bluebell Wood. But then, the real battles are yet to come...

Putting formula blockbusters to shame, Fellowship is impeccably cast and constructed with both care and passion: this is a labour of love that never feels laboured. Emotional range and character depth ultimately take us beyond genre limitations, and it deserves to play as wide as a certain Mr. Potter.
  98. Apr 19, 2015
    Passed to him by his uncle Bilbo, young Hobbit Frodo Baggins becomes the unlikely and unwilling bearer of The One Ring of power, an instrument of unparalleled evil. And so Frodo, along with his three Hobbit chums, the wizard Gandalf and a swordsman named Strider, set out on an epic quest.

99. Apr 23, 2015
    In the pantheon of fantasy writers, no diety is treated with greater reverence than J.R.R. Tolkien, who is regarded by most readers as the Father of Modern Fantasy. During the past three decades, the fantasy area in bookstores has expanded from a minor subsection of science fiction to a major category in its own right. A couple dozen titles have been replaced by hundreds. Fantasy has goneIn the pantheon of fantasy writers, no diety is treated with greater reverence than J.R.R. Tolkien, who is regarded by most readers as the Father of Modern Fantasy. During the past three decades, the fantasy area in bookstores has expanded from a minor subsection of science fiction to a major category in its own right. A couple dozen titles have been replaced by hundreds. Fantasy has gone from being a cult genre to entering the mainstream. This would not have happened without the popularity and influence of Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Nearly every published fantasy author acknowledges having read and been inspired by Tolkien's canon, and, while The Lord of the Rings may not be the longest or most complex fantasy series to date, it remains the standard against which all similar works are measured. It is the epic fantasy series.

To say that fantasy movies have not been a big draw at the box office is to understate the matter. A lot of this has had to do with the poor quality of the product. Consider the evidence: titles like Willow, Dragonheart, and Dungeons and Dragons. Finally, 2001 has seen the belated emergence of fantasy as a legitimate cinematic genre. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was one of the year's most anticipated releases and, by the end of December, it will be one of the top money-makers of the past 12 months. Now, along comes The Lord of the Rings, as anticipated for 30-50 year olds and Harry Potter was for their children.

As entertaining as Harry Potter may be, it cannot hold a candle to The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. With this production, Jackson has used The Lord of the Rings to re-invent fantasy for the cinema in the same way that the novel provided the blueprint for the written word. This astounding movie accomplishes what no other fantasy film has been able to do: transport viewers to an entirely different reality, immerse them in it, and maroon them there for nearly three hours. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring brings Middle Earth to glorious life. From the first moment of the first reel, I was there.

In crafting his vision of Middle Earth, Jackson has employed all of the tricks available to him: miniatures, deceptive camera angles, location shooting, impressive set design, and matte paintings. He has also made use of computer graphics, but not to the extent that another director might have. Thus, The Lord of the Rings has a less artificial appearance than might have been the case if Jackson had relied too heavily on CGI technology. Andrew Lesnie's camerawork has the grand scope expected in an epic motion picture, and Howard Shore's score, which is at times heroic and at times thoughtful, compliments the visuals without ever calling attention to itself.

The Lord of the Rings is not an actors' movie, but each member of the cast acquits himself or herself well. Of special note are Ian McKellan, who presents Gandalf as a vulnerable and sympathetic figure; Ian Holm, whose Bilbo Baggins is a weary and tortured individual; and Elijah Wood, who shows the gradual changes in Frodo as he is transformed from a carefree hobbit to the person upon whom the fate of the world rests. Some recognizable names fill small roles - Liv Tyler is surprisingly good as Arwen; Cate Blanchett is cool and regal as Galadriel; and Christopher Lee brings his chilling presence to the part of the treacherous, traitorous Sauruman.

The strength of Jackson's vision as depicted in The Fellowship of the Ring gives movie-goers cause to hope that we may be in the midst of a cinematic achievement. If The Two Towers and The Return of the King live up to the standard set by this film, The Lord of the Rings will become a milestone not only for its genre, but for motion pictures in general. But, regardless of what the future brings, the single movie we now have before us stands out as one of the most rousing examples of entertainment to reach multiplexes in a long time. At last, someone has figured out how to do an epic fantasy justice on the big screen.

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.