9.0

1. GlenS.
    Mar 15, 2002
    Will be remembered in 100 years.
  2. ChrisS.
    Mar 29, 2002
    Totally unpredictable, fascinating, enthralling, chiling, refreshing, and just all out spectacular!
  3. Lauren
    Apr 21, 2002
    Absoulute thriller! It had comedy, tradity, it made me cry and mad me laugh. It was honestly the best movie of all time. The actors and actresses brought depth and feeling to every part in the movie. I loved this movie so much I rate it a 10 and above.
  4. KseniaC.
    Apr 26, 2002
    It's wonderful!!! The magic is real! And big thanx to PJ!
  5. Pink
    Jun 18, 2002
    Best that there was!!! (sorry to all the people that thought that it would have sex in it I guess that is why you gave such low marks but DMY). The special effects Rocked, the characters were well done the size and the look, the elf language was a great addition to the move and the story line makes you wanna have an adventure yourself. Can't wait for the next two.
  6. JackR.
    Aug 15, 2002
    Nicole, how COULDN'T you like this movie? I can understand not loving it, but giving it a 1 and even mentioning the words "Queen of the Damned" in its review is ridiculous. If you could at least give a reason not to like it, i might not think you're retarded.
  7. DonP.
    Sep 15, 2002
    It is impossible to judge this film outside of the context of Tolkein's creation, which has over the years provided one of the strongest mythical influences in modern literature - inspiring hundreds of other similar yarns from Star Wars to Harry Potter to the Narnia Tales and Dungeons and Dragons games. I read LOTR and the Hobbit 4 times as a child, and Tolkein transported me from my It is impossible to judge this film outside of the context of Tolkein's creation, which has over the years provided one of the strongest mythical influences in modern literature - inspiring hundreds of other similar yarns from Star Wars to Harry Potter to the Narnia Tales and Dungeons and Dragons games. I read LOTR and the Hobbit 4 times as a child, and Tolkein transported me from my boring suburban home to a world of fear and possibility, and nobleness, the likes of which we can use more of in these troubled time. I re-read the first book prior to seeing the movie, so I can't imagine how it would be viewed by someone unfamiliar with the tale I love so much. I was astounded. The vision was so well conceived, and so well edited to incorporate the most important story lines, and so bold in completely "going with" the themes Tolkien was using without trying to "reinterpret" or "Hollywoodize" as so many other failed adaptations do. I saw it 2 more times and cried and laughed each time, and saw more detail and more care each time. To the filmmakers: your care has not gone unnoticed nor unappreciated. Thank God this was made by a non-US director! Within the confines of a 3 hour movie, I can't imagine how it could be easily improved. I am excited to see the DVD version with more footage, and I only hope Jackson & Co do real justice to the trilogy by maintaining the level of quality in the 2 suceeding parts, which as books only get better. Finally I'd like to add that Ian McKellan was an excellent choice for Gandalf and he played the role perfectly. I have great respect for him as an actor and an individual, he encompasses the caring, the eloquence and the grandeur which defined Gandalf. He was robbed by the Academy! I hope this will inspire many to delve into the book, and as Galadriel says to Frodo, to remember that great deeds may come from the very smallest of people. Of that we are all capable. Expand
  8. LaF.
    Sep 23, 2002
    It's great!
  9. DebraM.
    Sep 28, 2002
    It is simply amazing. It's a whole other world. It has action, horror, adventure, romance, sci fi, historical fiction. What more can you ask for in a film?
  10. JohnnyBlaze
    Nov 29, 2003
    This is a marvel in modern moviemaking. Anyone who couldn't find this movie entertaing needs to develop a little something called IMAGINATION!!!!! No story?? Give me a break, there is a reason that these stories are some of the most famous, and best-selling books of all-time. Peter Jackson has done more than an admirable job of bringing the story to the big screen , and these movies This is a marvel in modern moviemaking. Anyone who couldn't find this movie entertaing needs to develop a little something called IMAGINATION!!!!! No story?? Give me a break, there is a reason that these stories are some of the most famous, and best-selling books of all-time. Peter Jackson has done more than an admirable job of bringing the story to the big screen , and these movies will go down in histroy as cinema classics. Enough said!!! Expand
  11. falcon88woods
    Feb 11, 2003
    Loved it. Absolutly brilliant. exactly what I think Middle Earth is like!
  12. TommyL.
    Mar 21, 2003
    One of those movies that just feels perfect from start to finish. I kind of know where people are coming from when they say that it was boring, but I thought every scene in the movie was perfectly executed.
  13. NathanH.
    May 14, 2003
    This is the best movie ever made, the only other movie that comes close to it is The Two Towers.
  14. GaladrielL.
    Jun 13, 2003
    Superb movie. Beautiful, moving, and fast-paced.
  15. Sammiv.
    Jun 24, 2003
    This was a great movie. it has become one of my personal favorites!
  16. JoshM.
    Apr 17, 2004
    Excellent! A truly amazing, captivating adventure. One of the greatest movies of all time!
  17. BritneyB.
    Apr 19, 2004
    Excellent. One of the best fantasies of all time. Peter Jackson & cast/crew have turned J.R.R. Tolkien's book into a fantastic movie.
  18. BoogerSnot
    Apr 27, 2004
    Some snooty people have given this movie a zero! Which is very uncalled for! I think you people have PMS! Give it another chance! Yes I do have reason to give it a ten! For people who think I'm just shooting the breeze. It had amazing effects that people worked hard on to impress you! Not for you to just sit there and critize. The acting was awesome, it had a good mix of actors. I Some snooty people have given this movie a zero! Which is very uncalled for! I think you people have PMS! Give it another chance! Yes I do have reason to give it a ten! For people who think I'm just shooting the breeze. It had amazing effects that people worked hard on to impress you! Not for you to just sit there and critize. The acting was awesome, it had a good mix of actors. I think its terrible to give this movie a zero! (Although I did have a problem with the fact that Arwen stole Glorfindell's part.) Expand
  19. chrism.
    Jan 28, 2005
    Great, great movie. emotional and detailed to the last scene. I did not read the book, but this movie makes me want to.
  20. IceFlow
    Aug 23, 2005
    I thnk it was a great movie!!!!!, and the fact that Orlando Bloom is in it makes it even better!!!!!!! The first movie was just getting the journey started. And all you guys who rated this movie below 4 can stuff it!!!
  21. Chris
    Sep 24, 2005
    I love this film. In fact I love all three. I cannot fault them. The backdrops is fantastic, the acting is fantastic and the soundtracks to all the LOTR films is just superb. Its also so nice to sit down and watch a film that does have some meaning and one that doesn't contain foul language these days.
  22. AnsonG.
    Jun 23, 2006
    Wonderful adventure movie. Best ever.
  23. Dec 4, 2013
    To describe this movie as merely epic would be a gross understatement. As epic movies go, it has all the diverse conflicted characters, fighting against insurmountable odds, clash of interests, difficult decisions concerning life and death, matters of the heart and so on.

The movie starts off with an introduction to the present conflict pervading Middle Earth. Sauron is established as the main villain. Not much is shown about his past. We do not know why these people are fighting against each other. You'll have to read The Hobbit or The Silmarillion to catch up on that. The rest of the first half hour is used to establish the abode of the Hobbits, The Shire.

Then the pace picks up as the main characters leave and we get to witness the vast abundance of Middle Earth, and its people and races including the Elves, who are the most intriguing of them all.

Aragorn, also called Strider, is the action go to guy. Far from home and not ever wishing to return, he literally strides into the story and takes command. He is the person most people would form a bond with, I know I did. Then there are others like Legolas, an elf; and the dwarf Gimli. They form the core among the group. And Boromir the son of the steward of Gondor, whose family has taken care of the affairs of the state with the departure of the last of the kings. Gandalf the grey, a member of the order of wizards, is the old guy counselling and protecting our protagonist, Frodo Baggins, on his quest to destroy the ring that can wield a power greater than any other.

Their journey is perilous, the odds pitted against them deadly. The Ringwraiths, servants of the Dark Lord Sauron, seek to return the ring of power to their master and cannot rest until they have done their duty. The Orcs or Goblins, a dark twisted species, are the footsoldiers of the evil side. As if this was not enough, the ring has the power to influence those around it toward claiming it for themselves and fight to the death for it. As Frodo's uncle Bilbo was the previous owner of the ring, it is felt that he would be better able to withstand its effects.

Peter Jackson has the talent to capture the sense of the epic with the camera angles he employs. Always in fear of failure to grasp the location of the visited places and their relativity to each other, I was amazed how easily everything became clear. The special effects were revolutionary for its time. The art department did a commendable job with the sets, costumes and make-up. The locations used for shooting were serene and exquisite, making me want to visit New Zealand where it was shot. The score did a wonderful job keeping you on the edge of your seat and never letting you really relax and lose the sense of urgency, though the greater credit for that feat has to go to the editor. I also watched the extended version of the film, so I can understand the decision to cut out several scenes of relative unimportance to the plot, but I found their presence to be complementary and fulfilling.

Fantasy movies are always hard to do right. People watching them are willing to be swept off their feet, yet slight inconsistencies could be disastrous. Jackson commits none of those mistakes. Fellowship is my favourite from the trilogy, as it focussed more on the characters. The major battles are part of the sequels, which some might find more alluring. This is a fantasy movie which was done perfectly, in my opinion, and the others in the genre should be held against it for comparison.

Extended edition felt more satisfying. Lady Galadriel had more scenes with the main characters, so did Aragorn and Boromir talking and arguing with each other. A bit of Galadriel's palace was shown. In the final skirmish with the Orcs, Boromir's and Aragorn's scenes were increased, making the sequences which felt rushed before more fleshed out and satisfying. A bit of humour was added too.
  24. Dec 29, 2014
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is a phenomenal beginning to a phenomenal trilogy. This movie nails every single aspect that it has perfectly. This is one of my favorite movies of all time.
  25. Aug 9, 2011
    This movie is the beginning of the best trilogy ever and it's so good! It brings humor, sad moments, intense battles and solid performances. Every character can be appreciated because they are all likable. This movie is ridiculously good
  26. Apr 1, 2012
    I'm coming to rate this movie because I remember when I first saw it in theaters years ago it is the only time while in a movie ever that I wished it wasn't over. It was enthralling and the film is just absolutely incredible. I cannot think of any movie since that I felt that way. Amazing story, great action, lots of different creatures... everything feels so real. You must see this!
  27. May 26, 2012
    Fellowship it has dazzling visual effects, great action and fantastic performances to spare, and manages to be as visually powerful as it is emotionally. I give this movie 96%.
  28. Aug 9, 2011
    LOTR destroyed my life . Why? Because i will never see such a perfect film ever.This trilogy will hard find its equal
  29. Aug 14, 2010
    I love all of the Lord of the Rings books and movies. Everything about them is absolutely stunning. They are timeless and will be appreciated forever. These will never be redone.

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.