9.0

1. GlenS.
    Mar 15, 2002
    Will be remembered in 100 years.
  2. ChrisS.
    Mar 29, 2002
    Totally unpredictable, fascinating, enthralling, chiling, refreshing, and just all out spectacular!
  3. Lauren
    Apr 21, 2002
    Absoulute thriller! It had comedy, tradity, it made me cry and mad me laugh. It was honestly the best movie of all time. The actors and actresses brought depth and feeling to every part in the movie. I loved this movie so much I rate it a 10 and above.
  4. KseniaC.
    Apr 26, 2002
    It's wonderful!!! The magic is real! And big thanx to PJ!
  5. Pink
    Jun 18, 2002
    Best that there was!!! (sorry to all the people that thought that it would have sex in it I guess that is why you gave such low marks but DMY). The special effects Rocked, the characters were well done the size and the look, the elf language was a great addition to the move and the story line makes you wanna have an adventure yourself. Can't wait for the next two.
  6. JackR.
    Aug 15, 2002
    Nicole, how COULDN'T you like this movie? I can understand not loving it, but giving it a 1 and even mentioning the words "Queen of the Damned" in its review is ridiculous. If you could at least give a reason not to like it, i might not think you're retarded.
  7. DonP.
    Sep 15, 2002
    It is impossible to judge this film outside of the context of Tolkein's creation, which has over the years provided one of the strongest mythical influences in modern literature - inspiring hundreds of other similar yarns from Star Wars to Harry Potter to the Narnia Tales and Dungeons and Dragons games. I read LOTR and the Hobbit 4 times as a child, and Tolkein transported me from my It is impossible to judge this film outside of the context of Tolkein's creation, which has over the years provided one of the strongest mythical influences in modern literature - inspiring hundreds of other similar yarns from Star Wars to Harry Potter to the Narnia Tales and Dungeons and Dragons games. I read LOTR and the Hobbit 4 times as a child, and Tolkein transported me from my boring suburban home to a world of fear and possibility, and nobleness, the likes of which we can use more of in these troubled time. I re-read the first book prior to seeing the movie, so I can't imagine how it would be viewed by someone unfamiliar with the tale I love so much. I was astounded. The vision was so well conceived, and so well edited to incorporate the most important story lines, and so bold in completely "going with" the themes Tolkien was using without trying to "reinterpret" or "Hollywoodize" as so many other failed adaptations do. I saw it 2 more times and cried and laughed each time, and saw more detail and more care each time. To the filmmakers: your care has not gone unnoticed nor unappreciated. Thank God this was made by a non-US director! Within the confines of a 3 hour movie, I can't imagine how it could be easily improved. I am excited to see the DVD version with more footage, and I only hope Jackson & Co do real justice to the trilogy by maintaining the level of quality in the 2 suceeding parts, which as books only get better. Finally I'd like to add that Ian McKellan was an excellent choice for Gandalf and he played the role perfectly. I have great respect for him as an actor and an individual, he encompasses the caring, the eloquence and the grandeur which defined Gandalf. He was robbed by the Academy! I hope this will inspire many to delve into the book, and as Galadriel says to Frodo, to remember that great deeds may come from the very smallest of people. Of that we are all capable. Expand
  8. LaF.
    Sep 23, 2002
    It's great!
  9. DebraM.
    Sep 28, 2002
    It is simply amazing. It's a whole other world. It has action, horror, adventure, romance, sci fi, historical fiction. What more can you ask for in a film?
  10. JohnnyBlaze
    Nov 29, 2003
    This is a marvel in modern moviemaking. Anyone who couldn't find this movie entertaing needs to develop a little something called IMAGINATION!!!!! No story?? Give me a break, there is a reason that these stories are some of the most famous, and best-selling books of all-time. Peter Jackson has done more than an admirable job of bringing the story to the big screen , and these movies This is a marvel in modern moviemaking. Anyone who couldn't find this movie entertaing needs to develop a little something called IMAGINATION!!!!! No story?? Give me a break, there is a reason that these stories are some of the most famous, and best-selling books of all-time. Peter Jackson has done more than an admirable job of bringing the story to the big screen , and these movies will go down in histroy as cinema classics. Enough said!!! Expand
  11. falcon88woods
    Feb 11, 2003
    Loved it. Absolutly brilliant. exactly what I think Middle Earth is like!
  12. TommyL.
    Mar 21, 2003
    One of those movies that just feels perfect from start to finish. I kind of know where people are coming from when they say that it was boring, but I thought every scene in the movie was perfectly executed.
  13. NathanH.
    May 14, 2003
    This is the best movie ever made, the only other movie that comes close to it is The Two Towers.
  14. GaladrielL.
    Jun 13, 2003
    Superb movie. Beautiful, moving, and fast-paced.
  15. Sammiv.
    Jun 24, 2003
    This was a great movie. it has become one of my personal favorites!
  16. JoshM.
    Apr 17, 2004
    Excellent! A truly amazing, captivating adventure. One of the greatest movies of all time!
  17. BritneyB.
    Apr 19, 2004
    Excellent. One of the best fantasies of all time. Peter Jackson & cast/crew have turned J.R.R. Tolkien's book into a fantastic movie.
  18. BoogerSnot
    Apr 27, 2004
    Some snooty people have given this movie a zero! Which is very uncalled for! I think you people have PMS! Give it another chance! Yes I do have reason to give it a ten! For people who think I'm just shooting the breeze. It had amazing effects that people worked hard on to impress you! Not for you to just sit there and critize. The acting was awesome, it had a good mix of actors. I Some snooty people have given this movie a zero! Which is very uncalled for! I think you people have PMS! Give it another chance! Yes I do have reason to give it a ten! For people who think I'm just shooting the breeze. It had amazing effects that people worked hard on to impress you! Not for you to just sit there and critize. The acting was awesome, it had a good mix of actors. I think its terrible to give this movie a zero! (Although I did have a problem with the fact that Arwen stole Glorfindell's part.) Expand
  19. chrism.
    Jan 28, 2005
    Great, great movie. emotional and detailed to the last scene. I did not read the book, but this movie makes me want to.
  20. IceFlow
    Aug 23, 2005
    I thnk it was a great movie!!!!!, and the fact that Orlando Bloom is in it makes it even better!!!!!!! The first movie was just getting the journey started. And all you guys who rated this movie below 4 can stuff it!!!
  21. Chris
    Sep 24, 2005
    I love this film. In fact I love all three. I cannot fault them. The backdrops is fantastic, the acting is fantastic and the soundtracks to all the LOTR films is just superb. Its also so nice to sit down and watch a film that does have some meaning and one that doesn't contain foul language these days.
  22. AnsonG.
    Jun 23, 2006
    Wonderful adventure movie. Best ever.
  23. May 25, 2014
    I just cant decide between this movie and the 3rd LOTR movie of which is my favourite. The action and story is amazing and keeps you glued to the screen from start to end!
  24. Mar 22, 2016
    Partially adapted for the screen once before by Ralph Bakshi in an unsuccessful 1978 animated version, Tolkien’s 1,000-page yarn poses all manner of challenges for a screen transfer — imaginative, logistical and financial. With the final bill likely to come in somewhere near $400 million when production and marketing costs are all tallied, one has to credit New Line Cinema with aPartially adapted for the screen once before by Ralph Bakshi in an unsuccessful 1978 animated version, Tolkien’s 1,000-page yarn poses all manner of challenges for a screen transfer — imaginative, logistical and financial. With the final bill likely to come in somewhere near $400 million when production and marketing costs are all tallied, one has to credit New Line Cinema with a tremendous amount of guts for shooting the moon for all three pictures with a young New Zealand director with only one genuinely notable, and small-scaled, film (“Heavenly Creatures”) to his credit.

But Jackson must have convinced someone that he would do it right, a view thoroughly borne out by what’s up on the screen. Evocatively delineating the many aspects of Middle-Earth on tremendously diverse locations in New Zealand in resourceful collaboration with a massive crew, Jackson keeps a firm hand on the work’s central themes of good versus evil, rising to the occasion and group loyalty in the face of adversity, and always keeps things moving without getting bogged down in frills or effects for effects’ sake.

Pic’s main problem, however, is inherent in the odyssey-like structure of the tale; the “and then, and then, and then” nature of the narrative becomes necessarily repetitive and even a bit wearisome at times, and ultimately arbitrary in the sense that one battle more or less with the Orcs, Ringwraiths or Uruk-Hai wouldn’t have made much difference. Lack of dramatic arcs involving rising action, relaxation and interconnecting story strands unfortunately makes the film’s running time feel pretty much like the three hours it is.

The film also very well handles the matter of perspective and height differentiation between the Hobbits and Dwarfs, for example, who are meant to be less than four feet tall, and the human-scaled characters, something that must have been as difficult as many other more obvious effects. Andrew Lesnie’s lensing has its slightly murky moments but is predominantly muscular in putting forceful images on a large canvas.

While he has perhaps not written a classic epic adventure score in the manner of Korngold, Rozsa or Steiner, Howard Shore has composed two hours of music that is constantly supportive, creative and complementary to the action. As such, it represents an object lesson that handily points up how unnecessarily intrusive and insufferably distracting John Williams’ work is in “Harry Potter.”

One place where “Harry” outflanks “Rings” is the in the starriness of its cast, but the film is nonetheless capably served. One hallmark of the players is their startlingly blue eyes, especially those of Wood, McKellen and Blanchett. Wood’s Frodo spends most of “Fellowship” coming to terms with his unwanted responsibility as Ringbearer, and is generally uncertain and frightened as a result, something that will no doubt change over the course of the two remaining installments. McKellen delivers Gandalf with great relish and gusto, giving the picture a shot in the arm whenever he’s around, which is often. Mortensen and Bean cut dynamic figures as Frodo’s expert swordsmen, Rhys-Davies is a barrel of fierce defiance, while horror vet Lee is silkilysuperb as the chief nemesis in a black tower. Blanchett and Tyler have relatively little to do, at least in this first episode, and the small attempts at humor, particularly with the tag-alongs Merry and Pippin, seem half-hearted and rote.

Still, New Line and company should be able to breathe a sigh of relief after the picture comes out, and there is little doubt that those who grab the “Rings” at the start will anxiously await Frodo’s trip into ever more perilous territory a year hence.
  25. Aug 9, 2011
    This movie is the beginning of the best trilogy ever and it's so good! It brings humor, sad moments, intense battles and solid performances. Every character can be appreciated because they are all likable. This movie is ridiculously good
  26. Apr 1, 2012
    I'm coming to rate this movie because I remember when I first saw it in theaters years ago it is the only time while in a movie ever that I wished it wasn't over. It was enthralling and the film is just absolutely incredible. I cannot think of any movie since that I felt that way. Amazing story, great action, lots of different creatures... everything feels so real. You must see this!
  27. May 26, 2012
    Fellowship it has dazzling visual effects, great action and fantastic performances to spare, and manages to be as visually powerful as it is emotionally. I give this movie 96%.
  28. Aug 9, 2011
    LOTR destroyed my life . Why? Because i will never see such a perfect film ever.This trilogy will hard find its equal
  29. Aug 14, 2010
    I love all of the Lord of the Rings books and movies. Everything about them is absolutely stunning. They are timeless and will be appreciated forever. These will never be redone.

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
  3. Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.