8.9

1. Mar 29, 2014
    The first adaption of The Lord of the Rings is a great start to an epic trilogy. It might drag a little at the beginning, so I wouldn't say the movies are for everyone, but when it does get into some action it is amazingly done! There is also good drama and some cool characters. The Fellowship of the Ring is fantastic!
  2. Mar 29, 2014
    A wonderful and touching movie that truly is entertaining to watch. It’s also highly unique and it still surprises me every time I watch it, because it’s so damn good and the music is spectacular!
    Im also thrilled by how well made Peter Jackson did the movie, because there is nothing negative about The Fellowship Of The Ring, only good stuff.

The Fellowship Of The Ring gets a 9/10
  3. Feb 2, 2014
    The first Lord of the Rings is the best. I'm not one to flock to sci-fi movies, but I find this series to be the epitome of the genre. All of the movies can be enjoyed by almost anyone, and not just fans, which makes these movies even more amazing.
  4. Dec 8, 2013
    Really good. It´s beautiful, exciting, emotive, epic. It has all that, but you can´t give it a 10. First of all the last part of the trilogy is the best, so you have to reserve it for that one if anything. It´s a really good mix of characters, wonderful to see all of them working together. Although the heart of the film and the entire trilogy (especially in the last sequel) is the relationship between Frodo and Sam. It can be all the epic you want when it comes to action, score, visuals, etc, but this is what makes the movie. And this is why many other big budget films fail miserably quality wise. I was going to give this one a 9 but there are a few scenes towards the end that I don´t like too much, a little bit repetitive. Best moments are the beginning of the journey and the whole time the spend in Moria, really exciting. Expand
  5. Dec 6, 2013
    The first film of the series, "LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring" is emotionally fulfilling, brilliantly plotted and exciting. This movie is a masterpiece and a textbook example on how to create an epic adventure. The special extended edition, at 208 minutes, does not seem overlong at all.
  6. Dec 4, 2013
    To describe this movie as merely epic would be a gross understatement. As epic movies go, it has all the diverse conflicted characters, fighting against insurmountable odds, clash of interests, difficult decisions concerning life and death, matters of the heart and so on.

The movie starts off with an introduction to the present conflict pervading Middle Earth. Sauron is established as
    the main villain. Not much is shown about his past. We do not know why these people are fighting against each other. You'll have to read The Hobbit or The Silmarillion to catch up on that. The rest of the first half hour is used to establish the abode of the Hobbits, The Shire.

Then the pace picks up as the main characters leave and we get to witness the vast abundance of Middle Earth, and its people and races including the Elves, who are the most intriguing of them all.

Aragorn, also called Strider, is the action go to guy. Far from home and not ever wishing to return, he literally strides into the story and takes command. He is the person most people would form a bond with, I know I did. Then there are others like Legolas, an elf; and the dwarf Gimli. They form the core among the group. And Boromir the son of the steward of Gondor, whose family has taken care of the affairs of the state with the departure of the last of the kings. Gandalf the grey, a member of the order of wizards, is the old guy counselling and protecting our protagonist, Frodo Baggins, on his quest to destroy the ring that can wield a power greater than any other.

Their journey is perilous, the odds pitted against them deadly. The Ringwraiths, servants of the Dark Lord Sauron, seek to return the ring of power to their master and cannot rest until they have done their duty. The Orcs or Goblins, a dark twisted species, are the footsoldiers of the evil side. As if this was not enough, the ring has the power to influence those around it toward claiming it for themselves and fight to the death for it. As Frodo's uncle Bilbo was the previous owner of the ring, it is felt that he would be better able to withstand its effects.

Peter Jackson has the talent to capture the sense of the epic with the camera angles he employs. Always in fear of failure to grasp the location of the visited places and their relativity to each other, I was amazed how easily everything became clear. The special effects were revolutionary for its time. The art department did a commendable job with the sets, costumes and make-up. The locations used for shooting were serene and exquisite, making me want to visit New Zealand where it was shot. The score did a wonderful job keeping you on the edge of your seat and never letting you really relax and lose the sense of urgency, though the greater credit for that feat has to go to the editor. I also watched the extended version of the film, so I can understand the decision to cut out several scenes of relative unimportance to the plot, but I found their presence to be complementary and fulfilling.

Fantasy movies are always hard to do right. People watching them are willing to be swept off their feet, yet slight inconsistencies could be disastrous. Jackson commits none of those mistakes. Fellowship is my favourite from the trilogy, as it focussed more on the characters. The major battles are part of the sequels, which some might find more alluring. This is a fantasy movie which was done perfectly, in my opinion, and the others in the genre should be held against it for comparison.

Extended edition felt more satisfying. Lady Galadriel had more scenes with the main characters, so did Aragorn and Boromir talking and arguing with each other. A bit of Galadriel's palace was shown. In the final skirmish with the Orcs, Boromir's and Aragorn's scenes were increased, making the sequences which felt rushed before more fleshed out and satisfying. A bit of humour was added too.
  7. Nov 29, 2013
    This is just an epic movie. It does have a long runtime, but that is no excuse to call this movie bad.It made me a LOTR fan, and now nothing can change me. It has the dark sense that I imagined the with the books.
  8. Oct 27, 2013
    this first the lord of the rings is absolutely amazing and epic,the battle scenes and the story that is running out is terrific,and the finalyou saw that there is a lot to happen yet.
  9. Oct 5, 2013
    Perfectly directed, adapted, written, acted and orchestrated, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is a near perfect film in my eyes. From the sequence on the Shire to the final scene in the film, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is briskly paced, completely engaging and emotionally powerful. This film is my all time favourite!
  10. Sep 30, 2013
    It's strange and quite gut-wrenching to think that as I review this, the first part of arguably one of the best trilogies to grace cinema was released 12 years ago, but it's fascinating at how much there has been since then, yet this trilogy has withstood the test of countless blockbusters and attempts at recreating it fantastical adventures. Peter Jackson brings to life the vision that author J.R.R. Tolkien envisioned in his fantastic books, full of heart, colourful characters and magical elements that set it heads above the competition, truly an adventure like no other. While much of the film shows the advancements of computer-generated magnificence, it possesses a very human touch from its ensemble cast and riveting stories that each of them tell, the biggest of course being that of Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood), a hobbit who lead a simple way of life in the Shire, a quiet and peaceful place for those quite content with the easier but finer things in life, but as our story goes, Frodos uncle, Bilbo, holds a secret that changes the tone for the foreseeable future, as an evil is coming and Frodo holds the power to stop it, various events lead to Frodo and his other Hobbit friends Sam, Pippin and Merry (Sam Astin, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan) setting out to destroy the ring in the place it was forged, the fiery Mount Doom. But as mentioned, there is more than this story being told, we meet shadowy ranger Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) who is certainly more than meets the eye, while we also have a hawk-eyed elf called Legolas (Orlando Bloom), the outspoken but proud Boromir (Sean Bean) and a hot-tempered dwarf called Gimli (John Rys-Davies). The ring itself is a tempting power, a power that can entice and corrupt at any given moment, Ian McKellan plays an ageing wizard called Gandalf the Grey, who knows exactly what this ring is capable of, but is willing to guide this Fellowship until the end. This first entry combines everything into a near flawless film, fantasy, story-driven, violent, epic emotional and touching where it matters most, we don't have a perfect fellowship of individuals here, we have foes, untrustworthy acquaintances, accidental travellers and some not really wanting to be there, but they are all driven my one goal, one that will see them travel across Middle Earth to complete. Peter Jackson perfectly captures a world unlike any other, occupying it with magical mischief and all sorts of good and evil, which the film perfectly represents, it mixes light and dark and often cuts deeply into the flaws of both, while also showing first hand the power of the two on a massive scale, there's nothing quite like it.
    The mesmerising cinematography outlines the scope of the film, from lush green landscapes to the snow-covered mountaintops and deep into the underground, each place vastly different than the last, full of beauty, terror, frightening beings with groundbreaking effects, costumes and real landscapes that bring it to life, but this isn't possible without the phenomenal cast in tow. Ian McKellan and Viggo Mortensen are standouts of the film, engrossed in their characters where we can truly feel safe with them as we trek through Middle Earth, but the then relatively unknown Elijah Wood does an excellent job as the likeable Frodo, keeping a level head but standing up when necessary. Smaller roles are also filled by big stars such as Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee and Liv Tyler, who are on hand at various pit stops for the group to offer advice and solitude, or two bow to a greater force.
    This is undoubtedly a benchmark in cinema, combining so many elements of grandeur and action that its hard to find fault, it moves at a fluid pace and the long run time is not noticeable or over-bearing, we have so much to see, feel and admire that it feels right to watch this trilogy consecutively, otherwise the moment can indeed be spoiled, it surpasses all expectations and is simply sublime filmmaking, and it only gets better.
  11. Aug 31, 2013
    Good, but not for 10. In some parts is very boring, but in other parts it's very good and epic. The third chapter of the trilogy is the best in my opinion.
  12. Jul 31, 2013
    This movie is definitely the most underrated movie in what I would call the "Middle Earth saga" ('The Hobbit' trilogy and 'The Lord of The Rings' trilogy) this movie also carries the most emotional moments in the series too, whether this will change in the two upcoming hobbit movies unknown.
  13. Jul 26, 2013
    "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" is one of the best movies of all time; maybe the greatest fantasy/adventure movie ever made...10/10
  14. Jul 24, 2013
    It is an epic adventure and Peter Jackson created a fantastic Middle-Earth. The battle scenes are great and I especially enjoyed the battle of Amon Hen where Boromir died.
  15. Jul 22, 2013
    mucha a charla y poca accion para una pelicula que lo tenia todo para un hermoso 10, efectos, tema, actuacion, personajes, paisajes y falto accion lo cual bajo la calificacion
  16. Jul 14, 2013
    A great fantasy film that boasts of great acting, cool visuals, awesome music and spectacular cinematography. I really loved this film and I personally think this is still the best of the 'Rings' trilogy with its more adventure feel along with emotional concept in the story setting. This is a classic film that I really love and admire.
  17. Jun 20, 2013
    "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" is a magnificent experience, with breathtaking visuals, and a heart warming adventure, it is absolutely one of the greatest movies ever made.
  18. Jun 11, 2013
    A brilliant breathtaking spectacle would be an understatement. It unquestionably perfect, and because it is, I know I will never see a movie(trilogy) better than the Lord of the Rings.
  19. Jun 6, 2013
    It's a truly great movie. The cast was incredible and they really brought the characters and story to life, most notably Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Christopher Lee as Saruman, and Sean Bean as Boromir, quite possibly my favorite character of the movie. There wasn't a lot of action, but it was a good set up for the rest of the series. Translating the book to the big screen is difficult, but Peter Jackson did a good job of it. It's one of the better movies I've seen. Expand
  20. May 19, 2013
    Although somewhat inconsistent the first installment of the trilogy by Peter J. reach its goal, which is introduced in the magical world of Tolkien,with good characters and a broad cast the film holds the attention in ways never seen, and leaves us eager to see the sequel.
  21. Apr 14, 2013
    It was good but let's face it, it was an hour too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The running time is really the only problem though. Everything else in this movie that's good makes up for it. Great special effects, great story, great acting, great combat scenes, and a great script.
  22. Mar 17, 2013
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring review

I have always viewed the Lord of the Rings trilogy as the incarnation of the word epic. It is bathed in moments that will pull out a tear rout of even the manliest of men just by a monologue, a part of the soundtrack, a victory in a battle, a moment were friendship shines. It will make you cheer for the main characters and join
    them in their journey. I could talk about this masterpiece (yes I refer to the trilogy as one experience) all lifelong, so I will do my best to summarize my feeling in these three parts. My username is pablo2896 in IMDB and Pablo22in Metacritic by the way, so you can visit my three reviews.
    So let’s get to the first one, the first movie. The Fellowship of the Ring tells the story of a young hobbit who is put in an overwhelming quest to rid his land of evil. And for me this is one aspect that makes me tear up a bit, the fact that one so small can squeeze out so much courage from himself. And this is no other than Elijah Wood´s Frodo Baggins. Elijah does an amazing job acting as the main character. So the movie starts with a prologue explaining the founding of the one ring and how its master was defeated long ago. This clearly shows you what sort of a jaw dropping ride you are going into. It shows the amazing achievement of the special effects and the scale of these films. Then we are introduced to Frodo (Elijah Wood), this hobbit lives a perfect live in The Shire, a town were these hobbits live, eat and smoke weed (yes they even say it in the movie). His uncle Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm) has carried the One Ring for a while, this entity that is consisted of the other half of the soul of Sauron, the evil bad guy. So he leaves it to Frodo who is then given the (almost) impossible task of taking it to the fires of Mt. Doom, the only place it can be destroyed and by doing so, vanquishing evil. And in the mean time Sauron sends his nine wraith to find this ring and kill everybody who goes in their way. Easy, right? Gandalf a powerful wizard, played by no other than Ian McKellen who perfectly portrays you the wisdom, the charm and the power of this conjurer, swears to protect Frodo at all costs in this journey and they take Sam with them, played by Sean Astin (who´s incredible acting and character I will describe in my third review) Frodo’s gardener with them. In their journey they meet some characters like Merry (Dominic Monaghan), Pippin (Billy Boyd) and no other than the badass Aragorn who´s actor Viggo Mortensen plays it amazingly, he is able to make you know he is a badass. So to summarize that part this movie has some of the best character developments I´ve seen in any movie. In the elvish sanctuary Rivendell they form the Fellowship of the Ring, which is consisted by the six characters I mentioned up there and three more, Boromir (a man), Legolas (an elf) and Gimli (a dwarf). Sean Bean, the actor who plays Boromir, does a good job in setting this character´s conflicts and desires for the Ring of power, but it portrays his honor and loyalty also. Legolas and Gimli I thought would be more like filler characters but you feel interest for them and you connect to them immediately. The same can be said for Merry and Pippin. From Rivendell they embark to their destination, Mordor the Land of evil. God, I have to talk about the montage of the Fellowship traveling. It is an epic compilation of amazing landscapes and hair rising soundtrack. This is where I really felt the epicness of the movie. By the way this was pretty much the half of the movie, the buildup. So was it a typical long boring buildup? No, not in its least. They encounter dangers like spying crows sent by Saruman, an evil wizard who sides with Sauron at the beginning of the movie, and a treacherous storm (also sent by Saruman, what a dick) in the middle of a dangerous mountain which forces them to take another path, the Mines of Moria. Gimli explains to them that the dwarves will welcome them in there but he´s WRONG. They get there and the place is a graveyard, a graveyard made from dwarves! So to summarize it they get trapped in there (blame the giant octopus) and now have to get across the dwarven city. Warning: EPICNESS! They soon find out they are not alone, and no other than Pippin (fool of a Took!) wakes up every goblin infesting the mines. This leads to an awesome battle were you are cheering for the Fellowship while it slays goblins and a cave troll! They escape and make a run for the bridge of Khazad Dum with an army of goblins on their backs and an awesome score which is beyond epic. But they realize something else is in those mines. A Balrog. A foe so powerful, only Gandalf can defeat it. They get to the bridge and the wizard faces it. In the most epic moments of the film he takes it down but unfortunately he goes down with it. You feel the loss yourself at this moment, seeing everyone in pain. Ran out of letters! See the rest in IMDB.
  23. Mar 3, 2013
    This movie in one word: AWESOME. The cast is excellent and the story even so good. I like the story and the film is well directed by Peter Jackson. The creatures are very nice. I love this film a lot. A must see
  24. Feb 28, 2013
    A great film. When I watched the first 20 min of the film it had me. One great scene after another, great fantasy plot and awesome music. Deserves nothing less than the full score.
  25. Feb 4, 2013
    Possibly people for a good movie, but for me it is another of those movies fun to hang out.
  26. Jan 24, 2013
    This film starts out slowly but I am okay with this, given the character development that occurs for Gandalf, Frodo, and Sam. I found this film brilliantly directed, but Peter Jackson seemed to be unsure of himself during the first half of the film. The film's second half also had a different, gritty feel compared to the first half, which I both liked and disliked, overall, I found this film to have a strong plot, great action, and one strong scene after another Expand
  27. Jan 5, 2013
    Overall, the Fellowship of the Ring is a good film. It takes book and adapts it well to film with only one scene being done wrong, which is a lot better than the Harry Potter films. The pacing is good. This film needed to be long for the scenes to be fleshed out the way they did. Unlike the Hobbit at no point did I feel like the film was dragging until after Moria but I did not like that bit in the book anyway. I Expand
  28. Jan 3, 2013
    With a virtual pantheon of lovable characters, a legendarily unmistakable score, a mirthful set of special effects, and a truly engrossing story jet-pumped full of classic lore, Peter Jackson's first installment of his "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy makes for a truly indelible and worthwhile filmic escape.
  29. Dec 28, 2012
    A journey like no other, a grand adventure never before filmed, and a movie that is exciting from start to finish, this movie has an undeniable epic sweep that will take you in to the lush atmosphere of Middle Earth.
  30. Dec 27, 2012
    A great film and the start of an epic adventure. The characters, story line, special effects are all amazing. One of the best films of all time since "a new hope".

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.