9.0

1. KeithE.
    Sep 20, 2003
    The first installment of the classic series the Lord Of The Rings was cinematically beautiful and awe inspiring. The battle scenes were very enjoyable. The creatures of Tolkien's world were well portrayed and believable. I would have chosen someone other than Elijah Wood to portray Froto, but Wood played his part well. Fabulous movie and left most viewers awaiting more.
  2. MattL.
    Jan 28, 2005
    This is the movie that started the mother of all movie trilogies. Filmmaking will never be the same. Visually stunning, emotionally riveting, and dramatically inspiring.
  3. Anonymous
    Jun 8, 2005
    A great start to a great trilogy. Never bores you. Despite all the mythicism surrounding him, Frodo is a character almost anybody can relate to. The battles are great, but Moria's where it really shines. Scenery is great. Start here and work you way through. It only gets better.
  4. VictorG
    May 4, 2010
    This is my favourite movie of all Time & by saying so i don't need to give any details or reasons.
  5. JoeyV.
    Jan 10, 2002
    I started reading the book like 3 years ago, it seemed boring and extremely discriptive for my taste, any way, I thought I was only about magicians and elves and dwarfs, nothing big...I was sooo wrong. I saw the movie and it really involved me into it...it's about honor and pride and friendship and human values that are vanishing right now. Great effects, excellent acting roles, I started reading the book like 3 years ago, it seemed boring and extremely discriptive for my taste, any way, I thought I was only about magicians and elves and dwarfs, nothing big...I was sooo wrong. I saw the movie and it really involved me into it...it's about honor and pride and friendship and human values that are vanishing right now. Great effects, excellent acting roles, brilliant music...I couln't have asked more. Expand
  6. RichardG.
    Oct 4, 2002
    Very GOOD!!, this movie depicts everything which one would expect in this type of genre. The acting is splended, the lighting is great, the fights and of course the plot is fantastic. Definitely one to see, and it leaves you wanting more & more & more.....
  7. *~SuGa_BaBi~*
    Apr 15, 2002
    Original, exciting, riveting and entertaining...brings the book to life...all tha actors, music, special effects, and scenery were brilliant! Truly, a totally mad movie. Couldn't be betta!
  8. EmilyH.
    Jun 6, 2002
    This is one of my favorite movies I don't see how anyone could not like it! Who would be so crazy as to give it a 1 or 0?
  9. JasonV.
    Jul 28, 2002
    Best.. Movie... Ever! The people who "hate" it are just backlashing against the overwhelmingly positive response to this work of art! Much better than A Beautiful Mind, and MUCH MUCH better than Moulin Rouge!
  10. JoshuaW.
    Aug 2, 2002
    Yes, I believe this movie to be excellant. It certainly will go down in the history books as one of the greatest films of all time. It is a different kind of film than "Citizen Kane", but no less important to cinema. That is why there are so many types of film genres. Those out there who have given this movie a rating of 1 or 0 are really just being spoiled sports. O.K., so you Yes, I believe this movie to be excellant. It certainly will go down in the history books as one of the greatest films of all time. It is a different kind of film than "Citizen Kane", but no less important to cinema. That is why there are so many types of film genres. Those out there who have given this movie a rating of 1 or 0 are really just being spoiled sports. O.K., so you didn't like the story or the acting, fine. That's a matter of taste, but this is a film, which means that the story and acting are just a part of it's entirety. Set design, musical score, cinematography, etc.. are also important factors that must be acknowledged when reviewing a film. This movie was and is an excellantly crafted piece of cinema. In my opinion it seemlessly merged the technical aspects with the creative ones. I loved the story, directing, cinematography, acting, special effects, etc.. If you don't agree about the acting or story, well as much as I may dissagree with you that's fine, however it is unjust to give this film such a low rating when it obviously was so well made from a production stand point. It is only fair to acknowledge it's achievements where they are undeniable, regardless of personal preferences. Expand
  11. SimonM.
    Sep 5, 2002
    It was the best movie i have ever seen. i have bought all of the lord of the rings movies gear and i cant wait untill the lord of the rings the two towers comes out, but i know how it ends now because i just finished the books yesterday.
  12. PederD.
    May 2, 2003
    Best movie ever!!!
  13. LlsE.
    Jun 18, 2005
    The best film I have ever seen.
  14. RobbyZ.
    Apr 8, 2010
    Extraordinary. Wondrous to behold.
  15. AndrewJ.F.
    Jan 11, 2002
    Go read a book, Will. Once in your life. Please?
  16. ClaireE.
    Jan 12, 2002
    How can people even begin to call this film boring? Obviously Will's idea of fun is deciding which shade of grey to wear that particular day. This film is amazing, great story, great adaptation, great performances, music and scenery! OK so it has some faults, but being boring is certainly not one of them.
  17. X
    Oct 1, 2002
    When I saw this movie I didn't get all I expected... I got more than I expected. This movie clearly earned the academy awards it won, if not it should have won more. I love the fight scenes and most of the characters. The visual effects were stunning, I liked the work on the Balrog the most. As for the costumes: excellent. As for the soundtrack, a definite must buy for music-lovers. When I saw this movie I didn't get all I expected... I got more than I expected. This movie clearly earned the academy awards it won, if not it should have won more. I love the fight scenes and most of the characters. The visual effects were stunning, I liked the work on the Balrog the most. As for the costumes: excellent. As for the soundtrack, a definite must buy for music-lovers. As for those who have given it less than satisfactory ratings you clearly have poor taste in movies, the patience of kindergarteners, and a lack of appreciation of good movies. Yes the movie is long, big whoop, the book was even longer. All we got was half the book put into three hours, plus the beginning of "The Two Towers" but more was intended but didn't make the final cut. The ending. Ever hear of a "cliffhanger"? no, wait, you don't know what a cliffhanger is cause you're too busy whining over the fact you can't appreciate good movies because of your poor taste. Endings like that are left open to make the audience come back for more. As for character development, who cares? This is THE FIRST PART of the trilogy. All they did was introduce the basic 8 to 9 characters of the story. Jackson has indicated that there will be development in the next one as each character is going on their own adventures, especially where Aragorn is concerned. To those who missed out, I, like the majority of the reviewers, recommend this film. Expand
  18. MichelleP.
    Oct 21, 2002
    Man, was this movie great. It seemed to have everything I liked in it. And, even though it wasn't as faithful, it seemed to capture the spirit and magic of the book better than "Harry Potter" could. I just don't get the people who gave it bad reviews. One person said the movie was too violent. Geez! What were they expecting? A happy little fairy tale? No. The thing about "Lord Man, was this movie great. It seemed to have everything I liked in it. And, even though it wasn't as faithful, it seemed to capture the spirit and magic of the book better than "Harry Potter" could. I just don't get the people who gave it bad reviews. One person said the movie was too violent. Geez! What were they expecting? A happy little fairy tale? No. The thing about "Lord of the Rings" is that it takes fantasy elements seriously. One said it was too scary and violent for children. Eh, HELLO! Did you, or did you not notice the PG-13 rating?! And that's a parental guidance opinion for crying out loud... One of my favorite things about this movie was Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin. They were just so...well, cute! Another thing I savored about this movie (and book) was the dark story.... so suspenseful, breathtaking, I LOVE it! Expand
  19. TedB.
    Jan 2, 2002
    This was more faithful to the book than I had hoped. My fear was that-- as often happens-- little would remain of the original story. This was a superb retelling of a great story. This is a truly great film.
  20. H.S.
    Jan 2, 2002
    This is a great movie! Some say that the actors aren't convincing (e.g. Mr. Steven Rea of the Philadelphia Inquirer calling Wood's Frodo a wuss), but that may be because they had read the trilogy, and have a certain expectation as to how the characters are. I haven't read the books, so to me, it makes sense that Wood's Frodo, who is supposed to be a friendly Hobbit, This is a great movie! Some say that the actors aren't convincing (e.g. Mr. Steven Rea of the Philadelphia Inquirer calling Wood's Frodo a wuss), but that may be because they had read the trilogy, and have a certain expectation as to how the characters are. I haven't read the books, so to me, it makes sense that Wood's Frodo, who is supposed to be a friendly Hobbit, acts like a wuss. I guess ignorance is bliss. I must say Viggo Mortensen is way cool and perfect for the role, much like Hugh Jackman in X-Men (Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oy Oy Oy!) Expand
  21. Realone
    Dec 4, 2002
    It's a very special movie. The movie is very good.
  22. LaraQ.
    Oct 28, 2002
    The people who gave this movie a 6 or lower, well, I pity him/her. One person complained there was no character development. HELLO! It happened little by little. Only, sadly, some people didn't put any thought into it to see it. I mean, I can see where a person would say this about Aragorn, but when you think about him HARD you'll see his character. He of course, is an extremely The people who gave this movie a 6 or lower, well, I pity him/her. One person complained there was no character development. HELLO! It happened little by little. Only, sadly, some people didn't put any thought into it to see it. I mean, I can see where a person would say this about Aragorn, but when you think about him HARD you'll see his character. He of course, is an extremely skilled warrior, but he also uses his brain, and his heart. But for the most part, you could definitely see character development. The hobbits are another thing as well. Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin in paticular. Frodo is someone we can emphasize with. When he is responsible for the ring, you can tell he's very nervous and scared about this, we'd be the same. Sam, is very loyal, and is easily frightened. Merry and Pippin are both very alike. Both of them a have to take a minute to see what's going on. Someone complained the movie would've been better if it had nudity and sex. I pity that person. That is what makes a movie BAD. And if it had that, that practiacally be betraying the beauty of the book. And the most popular, was that someone said it was a childish plot. PLEASE. Do you think a child could write a story this thorough? Definetly not. Unless the child had an I.Q. of 199. That's another story. And whoever said this was for nerdy people only well, that person must have poor interests, because many non-nerds have loved this movie. I can't believe that proffessor hated it. Either that was someone pretending to be a proffessor, or it was one of the most unlikable proffessors of all time. This movie was quite moving too, especially at the end (someone please hand me a box of kleenex!) See this one! Expand
  23. BrianF.
    Jan 7, 2002
    By far the most imaginative film I have seen on the big screen since Star Wars was rereleased in 97. I was kind of interested in Hary Potter, seeing as the books were entertaining. But after that dissappointment of that film, I was a little afraid to get excited about Lord of the Rings. They were not my favorite books. But Jackson completely laid to rest any of my fears, showing that he By far the most imaginative film I have seen on the big screen since Star Wars was rereleased in 97. I was kind of interested in Hary Potter, seeing as the books were entertaining. But after that dissappointment of that film, I was a little afraid to get excited about Lord of the Rings. They were not my favorite books. But Jackson completely laid to rest any of my fears, showing that he is more than capable of bringing a book to the screen. Expand
  24. T.B.
    Feb 12, 2002
    This was the greatest movie I ever saw. I can hardly wait until it is on VHS.
  25. LucasC.
    Feb 26, 2002
    I really loved this movie. It was a beautifully recreated movie of the epic novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The only disappointment (which didn't affect my vote much) was [Ed: potential spoiler omitted]. There were a few other instances in the movie where it did not follow the book, but that did not stop me from seeing nine times(which will probably be ten quite soon). As I have said before I really loved this movie. It was a beautifully recreated movie of the epic novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The only disappointment (which didn't affect my vote much) was [Ed: potential spoiler omitted]. There were a few other instances in the movie where it did not follow the book, but that did not stop me from seeing nine times(which will probably be ten quite soon). As I have said before I really loved this movie and it was created exactly like most people imagined it thanks to Peter Jackson (all us Tolkien buffs appreciated your lovely work. Thanks again)! Expand
  26. MarianC.
    Feb 6, 2002
    This is the greatest film ever made in the English language -- which means the greatest film ever made. It is a thing of beauty and will be a joy forever.
  27. ShubachiC.
    Mar 1, 2002
    Awesome! I read the book as well previously though the movie lacks some of the imaginative material in your imagination, its got cool effects!
  28. JustinR.
    Mar 19, 2002
    What people don't realize is that this movie is a PART of a TRILOGY. It isn't supposed to have an Finite ending. It 's supposed to leave you wanting more. And it did just that.
  29. FrancisJosephC.
    Mar 26, 2002
    Best movie of last year... the true Best Picture winner in any cinephile's heart. This is the true movie experience. Great script, cinematography, score, acting, directing... just perfect!
  30. CarolinaO.
    Mar 29, 2002
    I love this movie! It's exactly how a "fairytail" movie should be, and the actors are great!

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.