9.0

Universal acclaim- based on 2037 Ratings

1. Oct 11, 2012
    This is easily one of the greatest movies of all time. Stays true to the book, and in some areas, outdoes it. The speech at the black gate is also one of the most epic, chilling scenes in history. Considering I watched the extended edition, which fills in gaps and adds humor and story not seen in theaters, the movie was well over 3 hours. I had to watch in 2 sittings to get through it. I am glad the producers went this route instead of cutting hours and story off the final cut. If you are a fan of the books, or just like epic fight scenes and a good story (recommended you watch the first two or have at least read the books beforehand though) this a movie that is well worth the time you will out into watching it. Expand
  2. Jan 4, 2013
    Rounding off a trilogy on the right note is no easy task, but Peter Jackson and co. pull it off with ease in this third and final installment of their adaptation of the classic Tolkien tale - it's bursting with marvelous set pieces, heart-wrenchingly emotional drama, and that same plethora of charming characters that rightfully bring it all home.
  3. Dec 27, 2012
    An epic ending to one of the best trilogy ever made. Some of the best battles I've seen in a film. LOTR The Return of the King is a real masterpiece.
  4. Jul 14, 2014
    I'm pretty sure this is the longest movie I have ever seen. I watched the extended addition, and I'm guessing that it was around four and a half hours. But wow was it worth it.
    Everything about this movie is spot on, grand, and epic. The battles, the journey, and the stakes are greater than ever. I was so entertained through the whole thing that I lost track of time, and the four hours
    just flew by. Expand
  5. Apr 15, 2013
    What's good about this final film in the franchise is that it's action scenes, script, direction, and the ending all work fine. The last hour of it was especially entertaining and intense. Like the first film in the franchise, almost everything works except for the runtime and probably something else. I mean come on, a 201 minute runtime. It feels like I could run a marathon of 100 miles and the movie would still have 30 minutes left when I got back home!!!!!!!!!! The other problem is that the camera shifts far too many times and far too fast between Frodo's group and The Fellowship while the movie is going. The camera will show the Fellowship fighting off the bad guys for 30 minutes and then shift to Frodo, Sam, and Gollum's point of view for barely 5 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!! It's still good but it has almost the same exact problems as the first two. Expand
  6. Jul 16, 2013
    Una de las mejores peliculas de todos los tiempos, excelente tema, actuaciones, efectos visuales y obviamente un epico final predecible pero aun no tapa el gran trabajo de todo este equipo, agradezco por este gran film.
  7. Jul 24, 2013
    This movie pushes cinema history to the limit. The battle scenes are stunning as always and so is the acting. I also like how this movie focuses more on Aragorn. The best possible ending to a trilogy.
  8. Jul 11, 2014
    A flawless movie that might be one of the best ever made.

Stunning, massive, entertaining, deep, touching and dramatic. Those words truly illustrates how great this last installment of The Lord of the Rings is. The high amount of action and the uniqueness keeps me entertained, but also the coolness. The ending in The Return of the King is in level with The Dark Knight Rises and
    Inception, so it’s spectacular and fascinating, but also sad.
    It's extremely hard to illustrate my feelings about The Return of the King, because that would only result in an emotional response.

The Return of the King is both fantastic and spectacular.

The Return of the King gets a 10/10
  9. Feb 2, 2014
    Middle Earth fans will be pleased by this, as well as the other installments in the series. Not being a Middle Earth fan myself, I still found myself amazed by the spectacular visuals, the great special effects, and the captivating story.
  10. Nov 12, 2013
    Bem, isto o seguinte, este um bom filme mas venho aqui principalmente pa dizer que quero tudo no caralho. brasileiros sao uma merda assim como os pretos, coisa positiva nos filmes que nao há nem uma coisa nem outra.
    aproveito para dizer que o pedro mendes da escola eped um lábio de preto, assim como o joao felicio moreira.
    cumps
  11. Oct 27, 2013
    the last film of the epic trilogy the lord of the rings is the best one,althought is one of the longest films ever made with 3hours and 30minutes.absolutely a movie that enters in top 10 of the best films of this century.
  12. Jan 5, 2014
    I just recently watched this the first time in my life and I got to say it is now one of my favorite movies and now im obsessed with the lord of the rings
  13. Jan 24, 2014
    ''Classic.'' EPIC!'' ''Dazzling.'' A Massive motion picture.'' ''Unreachable achievement.'' ''A Masterpiece.'' Peter Jackson is a Master of Big-budgeted Films- A Master of his craft. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is nearly The Greatest Film ever made.
  14. Mar 2, 2014
    Epic, the best film of 2003. Peter Jackson created a masterpiece with great music and the biggest battle I've seen in a movie. 10 and deserves the truth.
  15. Mar 2, 2014
    Amazing movie with tons and tons of actors who make it one of their best performances. Truly an incredible story with cutting-edge technology used for 'creatures' like Gollum or the Nazgul.
    Peter Jackson did a great job making this movie.
    Of course, there are a few bits and pieces missing, especially when comparing them to the books Tolkien made. But a curmudgeon that cares about that.
  16. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is absolutely amazing! The Return of the King is a big favorite of mine in terms of movies in general. I loved it so much. The action and drama in it was amazing. Other things that make The Lord of the Rings great is also in this film. I especially like the scene when Frodo was ready to drop the ring into Mount Doom and ended up battling Smeagol; that scene was very intense and even put me on the edge of my seat watching it. I also like how calm the movie ends after all the battles are over; overall this film is just fantastic! A perfect finale to one of the best movie trilogies of all time! Expand
  17. Apr 3, 2014
    No other movie (other then the 2 prequels) even come close to being as brilliant as this masterpiece. The dialogue, the music, the visual effects, acting, everything in this movie is 100% perfect and that's an understatement. Nothing can ever take its place of best movie ever made (imo).
  18. May 17, 2014
    An absolutely brilliant movie, in all aspects. The CG, the set pieces, the acting, everything is amazing. But when the movie is over, you dont remember the gimmicks and embellishments as much as you remember the incredible amount of heart in this movie.

Unlike most movies in the fantasy genre, this movie doesnt rely on effects and hundreds of effects to amaze. Even though this movie has
    all you could want in these aspects, it also has a vibrant, ever present soul, and this is what makes it one of the best movies ever made, and probably the greatest fantasy or epic ever made Expand
  19. Jul 30, 2014
    This final installment of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy is a gigantic film-making feat. It may not feature the first film's dread or the second film's darkness, but feels more epic than both. Jackson has mastered the art of exploiting an unlimited fantasy lore and shaping it beautifully into stunning photography. The film's plot is once again well-structured and makes its magnificent acting performances feasible. The CGI battles are great, of course, and the whole experience is very rewarding. The pace is really good, except for the ending, which is a bit overly extended. I don't know if films like the "Lord of the Rings" will even exist again, but the whole trilogy is undeniably a classic. Expand
  20. Aug 16, 2014
    Arguably one of the greatest fantasy movies of all time. Peter Jackson conducted a master-stroke of cinema that managed to captivate an entire generation. With this movie and its prequels, Tolkien's magnum opus has become the definitive fantasy legendarium that others aspire to.

But.

Return of the King is not THE perfect movie. There are some flaws in it, albeit minor, that detract
    from the experience and may dismay hardcore LOTR fans.

None of these flaws lie in the production or direction in and of itself, but rather some continuity issues and some questionable additions and omission of some material from the books.

However, only one flaw is really worth mentioning, and that is the inclusion of the Army of the Dead in the Battle of Pelennor. This move conveys the notion that PJ sought to sway people who either didn't care about LOTR or fantasy in general, or simply to add cinematic flair and "awesomeness" to the movie.

An understandable move, for sure. But this scene may leave some hardcore fans dissatisfied with the experience. However, I myself wasn't put off by the scene itself, as it served the purpose of ending the battle and ushering in the conclusion of the movie. Again, understandable, considering the fact that an entire book had to have been "crammed" into a ~210 minute-long movie.

In general though, I was immensely satisfied with the movie and its prequels. Return of the King will be immortalized as one of the greatest movies of all time, and I doubt that this feat will be replicated in the future.

I give The Return of the King a score of 10, despite the minor flaws I mentioned above. They were not enough to detract from my wonderful experience with the movie.
  21. Sep 5, 2014
    Is this the most epic finale in movie history? Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King does everything right, making for a massively entertaining and moving film that completes Peter Jackson's Kiwi-made trilogy. You will be left teary-eyed by the ending, from a combination of heart-wrenching emotion and the ungodly 3 hour 20 minute viewing time (4 hours 22 minutes for the extended version).
  22. Oct 18, 2014
    Sauron's forces have laid siege to Minas Tirith, the capital of Gondor, in their efforts to eliminate the race of men. The once-great kingdom, watched over by a fading steward, has never been in more desperate need of its king. But can Aragorn (Mortensen) answer the call of his heritage and become what he was born to be? In no small measure, the fate of Middle-earth rests on his broad shoulders.
  23. Nov 13, 2014
    This is the defining movie of Peter Jackson's career. Though it strayed quite far from the book at times, it worked the miracle of remaining true to the book's spirit and not striving for the random flamboyance that the Hobbit films today fall to.

1. The conclusion of Peter Jackson's masterwork is passionate and literate, detailed and expansive, and it's conceived with a risk-taking flair for old-fashioned movie magic at its most precious.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hunter
    An epic success and a history-making production that finishes with a masterfully entertaining final installment.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    The second installment was better than the first, and this one is best of all. It has spectacular action scenes and imaginary creatures, and it’s by far the most moving chapter. The performances have deepened.