New Line Cinema | Release Date: December 17, 2003
Universal acclaim based on 2250 Ratings
2,079
WATCH NOW
kubathereviewerJul 24, 2013
This movie pushes cinema history to the limit. The battle scenes are stunning as always and so is the acting. I also like how this movie focuses more on Aragorn. The best possible ending to a trilogy.
TheApplegnomeDec 9, 2014
A flawless movie that might be one of the best ever made.

A flawless movie that might be one of the best ever made.

Stunning, massive, entertaining, deep and dramatic. Those words truly illustrate how great this last installment of The Lord of the Rings truly is. The high amount of action and the uniqueness keeps me entertained. The story is so touching and I the first time I saw this movie I started to cry. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is much about us humans as it is about evil; it shows us that we can live together even though we are different. The extended edition of The Return of the King got much more logical things than the original, even though it’s almost 4,5 hours long. The CGI are in fact in my opinion greater than in The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, but there are some vague practical effects, but I don’t really care because the movie is awesome! The ending in The Return of the King is in level with The Dark Knight Rises and Inception; it's spectacular as it is touching. I totally cried in the ending. It's extremely hard to illustrate my feelings about The Return of the King, because that would only result in an emotional response.

This movie is both dramatic and spectacular.

The Return of the King gets a 10/10.
MovieGuysFeb 2, 2014
Middle Earth fans will be pleased by this, as well as the other installments in the series. Not being a Middle Earth fan myself, I still found myself amazed by the spectacular visuals, the great special effects, and the captivating story.
XMagnetoJan 5, 2014
I just recently watched this the first time in my life and I got to say it is now one of my favorite movies and now im obsessed with the lord of the rings
JpJuarioJan 24, 2014
''Classic.'' EPIC!'' ''Dazzling.'' A Massive motion picture.'' ''Unreachable achievement.'' ''A Masterpiece.'' Peter Jackson is a Master of Big-budgeted Films- A Master of his craft. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is nearly The Greatest Film''Classic.'' EPIC!'' ''Dazzling.'' A Massive motion picture.'' ''Unreachable achievement.'' ''A Masterpiece.'' Peter Jackson is a Master of Big-budgeted Films- A Master of his craft. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is nearly The Greatest Film ever made. Expand
Mordovan89Mar 2, 2014
Epic, the best film of 2003. Peter Jackson created a masterpiece with great music and the biggest battle I've seen in a movie. 10 and deserves the truth.
Jayson97Mar 2, 2014
Amazing movie with tons and tons of actors who make it one of their best performances. Truly an incredible story with cutting-edge technology used for 'creatures' like Gollum or the Nazgul.
Peter Jackson did a great job making this movie.
Peter Jackson did a great job making this movie.
Of course, there are a few bits and pieces missing, especially when comparing them to the books Tolkien made. But a curmudgeon that cares about that.
adronator98Apr 3, 2014
No other movie (other then the 2 prequels) even come close to being as brilliant as this masterpiece. The dialogue, the music, the visual effects, acting, everything in this movie is 100% perfect and that's an understatement. Nothing can everNo other movie (other then the 2 prequels) even come close to being as brilliant as this masterpiece. The dialogue, the music, the visual effects, acting, everything in this movie is 100% perfect and that's an understatement. Nothing can ever take its place of best movie ever made (imo). Expand
MibekriMay 17, 2014
An absolutely brilliant movie, in all aspects. The CG, the set pieces, the acting, everything is amazing. But when the movie is over, you dont remember the gimmicks and embellishments as much as you remember the incredible amount of heart inAn absolutely brilliant movie, in all aspects. The CG, the set pieces, the acting, everything is amazing. But when the movie is over, you dont remember the gimmicks and embellishments as much as you remember the incredible amount of heart in this movie.

Unlike most movies in the fantasy genre, this movie doesnt rely on effects and hundreds of effects to amaze. Even though this movie has all you could want in these aspects, it also has a vibrant, ever present soul, and this is what makes it one of the best movies ever made, and probably the greatest fantasy or epic ever made
SkyrimGuy935Jan 25, 2015
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is, in every sense of the word, an epic. The acting is phenomenal, the soundtrack is beautiful, the battle sequences are grand and enthralling with superb visuals, and the story it tells isThe Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is, in every sense of the word, an epic. The acting is phenomenal, the soundtrack is beautiful, the battle sequences are grand and enthralling with superb visuals, and the story it tells is mature, brilliant, and captivating. What took this film to the next level however, is the emotion it manages to convey. You feel an intimate connection which each of the characters, and it leads to multiple moments where you will likely be struggling to hold back tears. Also, the film perfectly capitalizes on profound themes of mortality, friendship, guilt, and loyalty which only intensifies the emotional impact.

As of now, this stands as my favorite movie of all time and is absolutely a 10/10. I also recommend the extended edition, as a few great scenes were unfortunately cut from the theatrical release. Not that it brings down the experience, though.
MethosTRAug 16, 2014
Arguably one of the greatest fantasy movies of all time. Peter Jackson conducted a master-stroke of cinema that managed to captivate an entire generation. With this movie and its prequels, Tolkien's magnum opus has become the definitiveArguably one of the greatest fantasy movies of all time. Peter Jackson conducted a master-stroke of cinema that managed to captivate an entire generation. With this movie and its prequels, Tolkien's magnum opus has become the definitive fantasy legendarium that others aspire to.

But.

Return of the King is not THE perfect movie. There are some flaws in it, albeit minor, that detract from the experience and may dismay hardcore LOTR fans.

None of these flaws lie in the production or direction in and of itself, but rather some continuity issues and some questionable additions and omission of some material from the books.

However, only one flaw is really worth mentioning, and that is the inclusion of the Army of the Dead in the Battle of Pelennor. This move conveys the notion that PJ sought to sway people who either didn't care about LOTR or fantasy in general, or simply to add cinematic flair and "awesomeness" to the movie.

An understandable move, for sure. But this scene may leave some hardcore fans dissatisfied with the experience. However, I myself wasn't put off by the scene itself, as it served the purpose of ending the battle and ushering in the conclusion of the movie. Again, understandable, considering the fact that an entire book had to have been "crammed" into a ~210 minute-long movie.

In general though, I was immensely satisfied with the movie and its prequels. Return of the King will be immortalized as one of the greatest movies of all time, and I doubt that this feat will be replicated in the future.

I give The Return of the King a score of 10, despite the minor flaws I mentioned above. They were not enough to detract from my wonderful experience with the movie.
anichelsJan 1, 2016
Top 20 movies of all time, and that's very conservative estimate. Return of the King was a very satisfying end to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and it signified the end of an era for many fans of the movies.
BlueSky8642Sep 5, 2014
Is this the most epic finale in movie history? Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King does everything right, making for a massively entertaining and moving film that completes Peter Jackson's Kiwi-made trilogy. You will be left teary-eyed byIs this the most epic finale in movie history? Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King does everything right, making for a massively entertaining and moving film that completes Peter Jackson's Kiwi-made trilogy. You will be left teary-eyed by the ending, from a combination of heart-wrenching emotion and the ungodly 3 hour 20 minute viewing time (4 hours 22 minutes for the extended version). Expand
amirreza1Dec 3, 2014
cons :why it was too short. it should be longer. Lord of the rings universe has a lot of space to capture.I m happy about making hobbit in three parts.
Pros: This is simply a masterpiece.
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Sauron's forces have laid siege to Minas Tirith, the capital of Gondor, in their efforts to eliminate the race of men. The once-great kingdom, watched over by a fading steward, has never been in more desperate need of its king. But canSauron's forces have laid siege to Minas Tirith, the capital of Gondor, in their efforts to eliminate the race of men. The once-great kingdom, watched over by a fading steward, has never been in more desperate need of its king. But can Aragorn (Mortensen) answer the call of his heritage and become what he was born to be? In no small measure, the fate of Middle-earth rests on his broad shoulders. Expand
thomasljoguesNov 13, 2014
This is the defining movie of Peter Jackson's career. Though it strayed quite far from the book at times, it worked the miracle of remaining true to the book's spirit and not striving for the random flamboyance that the Hobbit films today fall to.
OpinionatedDec 5, 2014
Released: 2003
Current year: 2014
Status: STILL enjoy watching this movie. I cannot describe how many times (in what little spare time I have) I have watched the LOTR trilogy with my family. Return of the king, the better film of the
Released: 2003
Current year: 2014
Status: STILL enjoy watching this movie.

I cannot describe how many times (in what little spare time I have) I have watched the LOTR trilogy with my family. Return of the king, the better film of the three will live on in every Tolkien fan's hearts forever. Pure brilliance.
LelchelseaJan 19, 2015
Not many movies have ever balanced so many elements to produce such an epic
Lord of the Rings Return of the King was the perfect ending to one of the greatest epics to ever hit the Big screen
Brendon6446Feb 4, 2015
This movie is truly my precious. The amount of effort the producers and the director put into this movie is remarkable. Great ending for the best trilogy of all time.
CameraBounceGodFeb 23, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Because this trilogy has been like a brother to me...I want to tell you all that I felt that frodo shouldn't have had to bear both the spiders name, the earendill and also the fact that sam had a girlfriend and didn't have to carry the ring which galadriel didn't even acknowledge and instead just reminded him that his awesome trip to save the world like bilbo is nothing more than being alone....anyway looking at the cover of the dvd i can tell you now that frodo keeping the ring in the end is exactly like giving earrendil to god in a surreal world.... it seemed like gandolf and the elfs still accepting frodo is a eerily perfect ending even though I loved the deleted scene where they are among the orcs and start a fight and maybe would have preffered that of some of the endingness...like I really didn't care about Sam and his stupid lucky family jeez guys...-JRA Expand
crovieliciousMar 13, 2015
Return of the king is a big climatic and the best of middle earth series, followed by fellowship of the ring in second. And so well deserved oscar best picture 2003. One of the best film of all time.
wilsoncoolMar 14, 2015
Simply stunning. I have no word to describe this masterpiece. What wrong with this film? Yes nothing, just perfect. I love cinematography, CGI, and original score from this film. Beautiful!!!!!!!!!
acaiberryMar 19, 2015
Ladies and Gentleman, this is the fantasy type movie that should be studied again and again. Music, Epic Scenes, Presence of a plot, Acting, and Direction/Detail...you name it and this movie has nailed each category.

The only problem that

The only problem that the most hardcore fans have is that they wish it was LONGER. I loved the battle scenes and I felt like I was at a home game cheering for the protagonists of this film. This movie carries a lot of symbolism and metaphors in its plot and this has got to be the most successful film trilogy ever.

Do your ears justice and listen to the soundtrack. GONDOR AND ROHAN THEMES REPRESENT
EdwardGregoryApr 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. And so all good things come to an end. For three years in a row, Peter Jackson has banished our winter blues with the individual instalments of his Tolkien trilogy, effectively shifting the focus of our cinematic excitement from the summer months to the end of the year. But now that his epic has been unveiled in its entirety, what will be the lasting effects of his achievement?

Well, grand-scale fantasy filmmaking is back on the menu, laying down the gauntlet to George Lucas and Star Wars Episode III. Jackson has also proved that notions of risk and ambition needn't be confined to the low-budget, indie end of the spectrum; nor does California have an exclusive stranglehold on groundbreaking special effects.

And then there's the DVD factor. Just as The Lord Of The Rings was upping the stakes in theatres, so too was its DVD release pattern defining what can (and should) be done on disc for major movies.

In particular, the four-disc extended editions seem to have affected the director's thinking as to what he can get away with in his theatrical final cut. Hence the public grumbles from Christopher Lee about the non-appearance of Saruman in this final instalment. While it might have been fair to grant Lee a curtain call, Jackson quite rightly realises that it is Sauron, not Saruman, whose fiery eye encompasses all the narrative strands of the climax.

The Return Of The King marks the first time in the series when Jackson's roots as a horror filmmaker creep through. As the orcs catapult severed Gondorian heads beyond the walls of Minas Tirith, flesh-rotted ghosts draw swords alongside Aragorn and giant spider Shelob stalks Frodo through dark, web-shrouded tunnels, the film pushes the boundaries of its 12A certificate.

And so it should, because the look and tone must necessarily grow darker as the Hobbits near Mount Doom and Mordor's evil hand grips Middle-earth ever tighter.

Character nuances have been crafted over an unprecedented ten hours-plus of cinematic storytelling: from Strider lurking in the shadowy corner to Aragorn rallying the troops; from Merry and Pippin as bumbling fools to stout-hearted, pint-sized warriors. Only Legolas and Gimli seem to have regressed (in screen time at least) to set-piece archer and comedy sidekick respectively. At least Andy Serkis is rewarded for his Gollum voice work with an early flashback that gets his face on screen, as well as warning us that, under the ring's power, Smeagol can be as murderous as Gollum.

Jackson has kept the momentum of the series rolling on and on though the traditionally 'difficult' middle part and 'weak' finale, delivering a climax to the story that's neater and more affecting than what Tolkien managed on the printed page. Some viewers might feel that the director sprinkles some cheese on his extended coda, adding at least one false ending too many (even if he does ignore the book's Scouring of The Shire).

But those who have walked beside these heroes every step of the way on such a long journey deserve the emotional pay-off as well as the action peaks, and they will be genuinely touched as the final credits roll. Yes, the Ring is dead. Long live King Kong.

The resounding climax to a landmark in cinema history. But the King has now returned, the story is over and the ships are leaving Middle-earth. Ladies and gentlemen, Elvish has left the building.
EddyGregsApr 19, 2015
The saga concludes. Frodo and Sam edge closer to Mount Doom, but the deceitful Gollum plans to lead them into a trap and have the ring for himself. Meanwhile, the armies of Mordor are marching on the Gondorian city of Minas Tirith, whereThe saga concludes. Frodo and Sam edge closer to Mount Doom, but the deceitful Gollum plans to lead them into a trap and have the ring for himself. Meanwhile, the armies of Mordor are marching on the Gondorian city of Minas Tirith, where Gandalf finds Denethor, father of Boromir and Faramir, losing his sanity…

MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
According to the calendar, Christmas is December 25. According to the movie release schedule, it's December 17. There can be no greater gift for a movie lover than the one bestowed upon audiences by Peter Jackson, whose The Lord of the Rings:According to the calendar, Christmas is December 25. According to the movie release schedule, it's December 17. There can be no greater gift for a movie lover than the one bestowed upon audiences by Peter Jackson, whose The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is not only the best movie of 2003, but the crowning cinematic achievement of the past several years. In fact, labeling this as a "movie" is almost an injustice. This is an experience of epic scope and grandeur, amazing emotional power, and relentless momentum.

One could be forgiven for initially approaching The Return of the King with a little trepidation. As good as the first two films, The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, are (in either their theatrical or extended DVD versions), movie history is littered with occasions when trilogy conclusions have crashed and burned. Return of the Jedi. Godfather III. The Matrix Revolutions. And so on? Yet, with The Return of the King, Jackson has done more than just bucked the trend. Not only is this motion picture an entirely worthy conclusion to the landmark trilogy, but it's better than its predecessors. Somehow, Jackson has managed to synthesize what worked in The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, while siphoning off the less successful elements. The result is amazing. Taken as a whole, there is nothing out there today that can come close to comparing to The Lord of the Rings.

The slowest portions of The Return of the King occur early in the proceedings, as Jackson re-establishes the characters. From there, it's a slow, steady buildup to a rousing climax. The experience is so immersive that I found myself in the middle of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields along with the heroes, rooting for them - even though I knew how things were going to turn out! Along the way, there are moments of genuine pathos that draw a tear from the eye; times of triumph that cause the heart to soar; instances of overwhelming tension that cause the adrenaline to surge; and images of spectacle that make the jaw drop. The pace is unflagging - once Jackson has us, he doesn't let go. When the movie was over, I couldn't believe that 3 1/4 hours had passed.

Although it's unfair to characterize the film as a collection of great moments - the character arcs and overall narrative are too strong for that - it is nevertheless impossible to deny the power of many individual scenes. One of Jackson's most notable contributions is that he directs the film with the intention that certain instances will raise nape hairs. It's the "wow" factor, and it is frequently repeated. Gene Siskel once argued that a great film needs three memorable scenes to go along with no bad ones. The Return of the King exceeds that criteria by a considerable amount.

For those who despise truncated endings, Jackson has a treat in store. The Return of the King ends with a 20 minute epilogue that chronicles events after the War of the Ring, going as much as four years into the future and tying up nearly every possible loose end. The film concludes on exactly the same note as the book (in fact, with the same line), and, while the final chapter of the trilogy is as satisfying as it could possibly be, there's still a vague sense of melancholy when "The End" appears on the screen, because it means that these adventures are over.

The acting shines through more in The Return of the King than in the other films. Elijah Wood is excellent as Frodo, a shell of the cheerful hobbit he once was. Sean Astin transforms Sam into a fierce knight protector, defending his master against the treacherous Gollum, the terrifying Shelob, and the forces of Mordor. Viggo Mortensen gives Aragorn his fullest opportunity to be seen as a three-dimensional hero. Newcomer John Noble, as Denethor, the Protector of Gondor, displays madness laced with cunning. Orlando Bloom and John Rhys-Davies have less to do, but provide us with a little comedic banter as well as some more serious moments. Miranda Otto's Eowen is as sharp and fierce as any man, and far better looking. Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan are given a chance to flesh out Pippin and Merry. Cate Blanchett, Liv Tyler, Hugo Weaving, and Ian Holm all make brief appearances.

Expectedly, the special effects set a new standard. The CGI participants of the major battles look more like real combatants than cartoonish computer creations. The locations, set design, and costumes are without flaw. By building many of the elaborate locales, Jackson achieves a sense of verisimilitude that he might not have attained by relying more heavily on computers. And composer Howard Shore's score is perfectly wed to the visuals, being alternately bombastic and delicate, as circumstances dictate.

The Lord of the Rings will go down in cinematic lore as a milestone.
CinemaBlendMay 6, 2015

Tolkien purists will be as disgruntled with The Return of the King as they were with The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, but this isn't made for them. This is Tolkien's saga as filtered through Jackson's fertile imagination, not some dry, slavishly faithful adaptation (although it is probably as true to the books in both spirit and narrative as any movie version could be). If you want rigorous adherence to the text, wait for the next Harry Potter movie. It's hard to fault the director for many of his choices. There are some omissions in The Return of the King. A couple - Saruman's death at the hands of Wormtongue and the Houses of Healing - were cut due to time constraints, but will appear on the DVD. Another, The Scouring of the Shire, was not filmed. While that may be a viable way to end the book, it is too anticlimactic for a movie, and, as such, is better excised.

CinemaSinsMay 9, 2015

Leaving Middle Earth, Jackson is now headed for Skull Island and a remake of King Kong that already has me excited. He has not ruled out a return to this fantasy world - he would like to make The Hobbit with some of the same actors, if the complicated rights issues surrounding the prequel can be straightened out. In the meantime, he has given us a trilogy of films to savor and remember. The Lord of the Rings will go down in cinematic lore as a milestone. It has legitimatized fantasy like no other production and has shown that it is possible for studio executives to realize huge gains when taking huge risks. (Had The Lord of the Rings failed, New Line Cinema would have gone down with it.) History will show the importance of The Lord of the Rings. The present illustrates its broad appeal and undeniable critical and commercial success. For many, the release of The Return of the King is the event of the year. And this is one time when the product is good enough to weather the storm of hype. This ring is golden.
INfamous119Jul 3, 2015
This is by far the best Movie trilogy I have ever seen. great picture, great characters, great animations, great sound. My only concern is sometimes the time in the movie would be a little off.
DanilSirotkinJul 24, 2015
Властелин Колец: Возвращение Короля (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King) я по праву считаю самым ЗРЕЛИЩНЫМ, самым ЭПИЧЕСКИМ фильмом в истории. До определённого момента именно третий фильм я считал лучшим в трилогии. Явно видно, чтоВластелин Колец: Возвращение Короля (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King) я по праву считаю самым ЗРЕЛИЩНЫМ, самым ЭПИЧЕСКИМ фильмом в истории. До определённого момента именно третий фильм я считал лучшим в трилогии. Явно видно, что создатели вложили в него уйму сил. Про сюжет, актёров и спецэффекты я писать не буду, так как там они на максимально высоком уровне. Говард Шор на этот раз превзошёл самого себя, и заслуженно получил свой второй оскар (первый был за "Братство"). Трек "Сигнальные Огни", или "Белое Древо" я считаю лучшей композицией Шора, и его абсолютным шедевром. В этом фильме все сюжетные линии подходят к концу. Добро побеждает зло. Перед нами разворачиваются великие битвы - (самые великие за историю кино, конечно же). И самое главное, мы видим уничтожение кольца. Итак, какой же главный смысл Властелина Колец (по моему мнению)? Попробую объяснить. Кольцо, - это ЗЛО. Фродо, - это человек, который по собственному желанию ВЗВАЛИВАЕТ ЕГО НА СЕБЯ, НЕСЁТ ЕГО НА СЕБЕ, дабы УНИЧТОЖИТЬ. Вопрос: это каким надо быть человеком, чтобы (образно) согласиться нести на себе ВСЁ ЗЛО МИРА? Этот человек знает, что будет страдать, знает, что будет мучиться, то есть, он совершает своего рода САМОПОЖЕРТВОВАНИЕ. Но ради чего? - Ради того, что он любит, ради того, что В МИРЕ ЕСТЬ ДОБРО. И, сами подумайте, это до какой степени надо любить. Этот человек знает, что зло нелегко победить, он даже предполагает, что поход против зла может стоить ему жизни... ДУМАЙТЕ. Властелин Колец - это философское произведение ОБО ВСЁМ. Например, о безграничной любви к дому, и защите его. Защиту дома мы могли бы лицезреть в конце этого фильма, если бы Джексон, конечно, снял её. Но, к сожалению, он её не снял. Также, все произведения Толкина о любви к природе. Размышлять можно много, но нужно ДЕЙСТВОВАТЬ. Итак, ещё я хочу сказать, что ВК, конечно же, нужно смотреть только в РЕЖИССЁРСКИХ(РАСШИРЕННЫХ) ВЕРСИЯХ, которые интереснее театральных, и ближе к книге. К тому же, такие фильмы длиннее театральных (это при условии того, что даже театральная версия идёт 558 минут (за все 3 фильма, - ( а режиссёрская версия идёт 683 (!) минуты)), - но я совершенно не против очень длинных фильмов, и даже наоборот, всегда отстаиваю максимально длинный хронометраж во всём. В общем, Властелин Колец классика, как кино, так и литературы. Могу писать ещё много, но остановлюсь. А на что вы готовы ради того, что любите? 100/100 или 10/10 (или 5/5 или 4/4). Expand
adithyaSep 9, 2015
This film shows us that even 3 hour films can be so good and epic. These is the greatest films of our era. Let there be no doubt. peter jackson showed hollywood that even fantasy films can be superb
adw55125Jul 3, 2017
Almost as good as the first, and delivers a strong finale. However, are we really going to ignore the problems with this film? The Eagles that show up to conveniently pick Frodo and Sam up, where were these things to drop them off at Mordor?Almost as good as the first, and delivers a strong finale. However, are we really going to ignore the problems with this film? The Eagles that show up to conveniently pick Frodo and Sam up, where were these things to drop them off at Mordor? Any way, the army of the dead? Does no one else think thats really dumb? It takes you out of the movie because, these soldiers can't die and they join our heroes, so the stakes are gone. Yes I understand that was in the book and they had to be done in the movie but its there so, what doesn't work, doesn't work. But those problems are easily put to the side by the things that do make this movie good. It is a fitting end to a series. I just hope they don't go back and do prequels for it....because what would be the point in that? we know how the series ends...they should leave it at a great trilogy! oh...... wait... Expand
reviewer2015lolJan 9, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's so good, so amazing, so epic and so beautiful it's just unbelievebla.. If you ake a movie that is so good, you should know you are the master of fantasy movies. Bravo Peter Jackson, just bravo. Expand
BozaslanNov 12, 2015
I've never seen a series like this.A trilogy of movies created with such love and care and utter perfection of craft that you can't help but walk away and wonder how did Peter Jackson make this possible? I have always loved the original "StarI've never seen a series like this.A trilogy of movies created with such love and care and utter perfection of craft that you can't help but walk away and wonder how did Peter Jackson make this possible? I have always loved the original "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" series for their epic storytelling, and just for just fitting in as a great moment in cinema. This should be, will be, remembered with as much revered fondness for generations to come. They do not make films like these anymore. Expand
serkanysr1Nov 25, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic films aside, Lord of the rings aside. With the last film of the series, almost the entire series was signed.And I do not know if such a trilogy comes up again. Expand
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
This is simply a masterpiece.
You will never see a trilogy like this one, essential for your cinematographic culture. The Return of the King is the prove that third parts can be much better than the first or second one.
EpicLadySpongeJan 5, 2016
This long movie for the end of the Lord of the Rings will just simply pull out all your excitement for a waste of 201 minutes. I don't really have anything else to say other than just saying these repetitive words for each review I give forThis long movie for the end of the Lord of the Rings will just simply pull out all your excitement for a waste of 201 minutes. I don't really have anything else to say other than just saying these repetitive words for each review I give for movies I've already seen in the past. Expand
gameguardian21Jan 7, 2016
This is the best book- to- movie adaptation put to film as this remains my second favorite movie of all time. It has the most emotional story line, amazing action sequences, and it's all thanks to peter Jackson. This one of the best films, inThis is the best book- to- movie adaptation put to film as this remains my second favorite movie of all time. It has the most emotional story line, amazing action sequences, and it's all thanks to peter Jackson. This one of the best films, in one of the best trilogy's of all time. Expand
americanbeautyJan 16, 2016
Esse filme é simplesmente uma obra de arte, uma conclusão épica para uma trilogia épica. Em O Retorno do Rei o que já era bom ficou melhor ainda, incríveis cenas de ação com uma trilha sonora impecável, O Senhor dos Anéis é, definitivamente,Esse filme é simplesmente uma obra de arte, uma conclusão épica para uma trilogia épica. Em O Retorno do Rei o que já era bom ficou melhor ainda, incríveis cenas de ação com uma trilha sonora impecável, O Senhor dos Anéis é, definitivamente, a melhor coisa que eu já assisti na vida. Expand
CinemassacreMar 13, 2016
A “King” that earns its crown, Peter Jackson’s final installment in his monumental “The Lord of the Rings” represents that filmmaking rarity — a third part of a trilogy that is decisively the best of the lot. With epic conflict, staggeringA “King” that earns its crown, Peter Jackson’s final installment in his monumental “The Lord of the Rings” represents that filmmaking rarity — a third part of a trilogy that is decisively the best of the lot. With epic conflict, staggering battles, striking landscapes and effects, and resolved character arcs all leading to a dramatic conclusion to more than nine hours of masterful storytelling, “The Return of the King” is an urgently paced 200-minute film without an ounce of fat — until unfortunate multiple endings that go on and on, as if Jackson couldn’t bear to let go. Again unlike other trilogy finales, this one will rank with its predecessors at the box office, where the first two entries have generated $1.786 billion internationally. Ancillary benefits from various versions and packaging will issue forth close to forever.

In the rarefied world of large-scaled cinematic triptychs, three in the modern era quickly come to mind that, initially at least, combined striking cinematic prowess with enormous public enthusiasm: “The Godfather,” “Star Wars” and “The Matrix.” In the first two instances, the second film was by general consensus the best and most adventurous, while the third was by far the weakest across the boards.

What Jackson and New Line so boldly did right was to shoot all three in one continuous stretch rather than start from scratch each time.

Of all the wonders associated with this trio of films — the literate, generally well structured overall script, the perfection of the New Zealand locations, the visionary scenic designs, the exceptional visual effects, the costumes, hair and armor, and the excellent cast — perhaps the most impressive feat of all has been Jackson’s ability to keep it all in his head through the years and deliver a cohesive work with a proper sense of balance and proportion.

Unlike his predecessors in the trilogy business, of course, Jackson had a ready-made three-part text to work from, one constructed to pay off in the climactic installment. And pay off it does, in ways guaranteed to satisfy the multitudes around the world who embraced the first two films, and even to impress non-card-carrying members of the massive Tolkien-Jackson cult.

Still, anyone who hasn’t seen the first two pics won’t have a clue what’s going on at the outset of “The Return of the King.” With much struggle behind him but the worst yet to come, Frodo (Elijah Wood) is increasingly feeling the weight of being the Ringbearer as he and his faithful friend Sam (Sean Astin) make their way toward Mount Doom, the place where the Ring was made and the only place it can be destroyed, thus thwarting Sauron’s attempt to destroy humankind.

“The days are growing darker,” Frodo observes amid distant volcanic eruptions, as he and Sam continue to be guided by the fretful Gollum (Andy Serkis), the deformed former Ringbearer whose intended treachery is superbly revealed in a schizophrenic soliloquy delivered to his reflection in the water.

Meanwhile, in Rohan, the flush of victory over Saruman’s forces in the Battle of Helm’s Deep at the end of “The Two Towers” doesn’t last long (defeated and trapped in the last film, Christopher Lee’s wonderfully realized character unfortunately doesn’t even appear here).

A faux pas by Pippin (Billy Boyd) provokes Gandalf (Ian McKellen) to remove him to Minas Tirith, the magnificent White City and capital of Gondor built on a soaring outcropping of rock. There, they find a kingdom in decline under a steward, Denethor (John Noble), so distraught over the death of his elder son that his rash decisions are not to be trusted.

All the outstanding technical and craft achievements that have been duly honored in the previous installments are at least equaled and sometimes trumped here, especially in regard to how involved the creatures are this time. There has been no let-up in creativity, only intensification.

So Jackson has done it. After seven years of work, the young New Zealander has pulled off one of the most ambitious and phenomenally successful dream projects of all time, a complete visual rendering of a 1,000-page literary classic beloved by countless readers internationally, a set of films that satisfies the Tolkien purists and, when all is said and done, will generate well upwards of $3 billion in all markets.
MerajMar 19, 2016
For me it was the best movie of all time. This movie has an amazing story and awesome visual effects with charismatic characters. This movie deserves 11 academy awards and all of other awards which received.
Probably the music of this movie
Probably the music of this movie is the best music between all of movies
MovieMasterEdMar 22, 2016
Peter Jackson's final installment in his "The Lord of the Rings" represents that filmmaking rarity -- a third part of a trilogy that is decisively the best of the lot. With epic conflict, staggering battles, striking landscapes and effects,Peter Jackson's final installment in his "The Lord of the Rings" represents that filmmaking rarity -- a third part of a trilogy that is decisively the best of the lot. With epic conflict, staggering battles, striking landscapes and effects, and resolved character arcs all leading to a dramatic conclusion to more than nine hours of masterful storytelling, "King" is an urgently paced 200-minute film without an ounce of fat -- until unfortunate multiple endings that go on and on, as if Jackson couldn't bear to let go.

In a way new to the trilogy, the emotional momentum surges along with the physical action. After early ambivalence over his responsibility for the Ring, Frodo grows into the job; after long dodging his royal inheritance, Aragorn finally rises to the occasion; Sam, especially, emerges as a three-dimensional character of intense devotion to Frodo even after he has been tricked by the Iago-like Gollum and exiled by his closest friend; and the ineffectual Hobbits Pippin and Merry take on some size, figuratively if not literally.

The building sense of dread is palpable. With the belching Mount Doom and its all-powerful hovering Eye in the distance, humankind and Orcs alike traverse an already stark landscape that will shortly become scorched. Dreadful giant screeching dragons, called Fell Beasts, flap down out the sky to pluck hapless soldiers off their feet and horses. And the Orcs are assisted by yet more monsters, including Hulk-like Trolls and towering, long-tusked mastodons known as Mumakil, that strike terror and make resistance seem futile.

The siege of Minas Tirith may well be the mother of all cinematic battles; certainly no pre-CGI war film ever featured a scene involving upwards of 200,000 soldiers. But that’s how many Orcs maraud the city, and the details are extraordinary: the huge stones catapulted at the fortifications from mobile towers; the fire-breathing dragon battering ram that crashes through the main gates; the earth-shaking Mumakil that raze all before them with scythe-like tusks and carry dozens of men; the gradual movement of the battle from the ground to the upper levels of the exquisitely designed citadel. All of “The Lord of the Rings” has been building to this, and it delivers entirely.

There are a few nits to be picked. With the forces of humankind vastly outnumbered, Aragorn is forced to seek the help of innumerable “dead” but still loyal soldiers to help out against the Orcs. Even in a work of fantasy and myth, this device just doesn’t wash, a circumstance not helped by the fact that the unconvincing effects used to represent them on the battlefield make them look like a bunch of green ghosts dashing across the field.

So Jackson has done it.
mahdi-shadowMar 28, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. my best trilogy ever and the return of the king was good and epic.It's a perfect epic. There's not one false step. The battles are incredible, the characters just as fun as ever. This movie is basically flawless. One of the best ever Expand
Zishah_1990May 22, 2016
The lord of the rings return of the King is a truly epic conclusion to the trilogy. Till this day I can go back and watch it and still be amazeed visually and emotionally. This piece of art is truly a must see to all movie lovers.
Aaron_WassermanMay 31, 2016
An overlong movie, that is considered a masterpiece, though I'm not entirely sure why. It is a good movie do not get me wrong, but if you aren't invested in the books, it's hard to find investment in the films.
MasterRileyJul 20, 2016
The best conclusion to Tolkien's stories anyone could have ever asked for. The Return of the King is more than a satisfying conclusion with great casting, great acting, great action, great effects, great world building, and great music.
TheGreatDustyCZAug 3, 2016
When i was a little kid, i didn't understand the film a lot, but when i´ve get older, i watched it again, i´ve watch it a lot, the whole trilogy of course. And i must admit, it is a perfection itself, it has a great cast, soundtrack, BEST CGIWhen i was a little kid, i didn't understand the film a lot, but when i´ve get older, i watched it again, i´ve watch it a lot, the whole trilogy of course. And i must admit, it is a perfection itself, it has a great cast, soundtrack, BEST CGI i´ve ever saw and the location, New Zeland is a wonderful land, what else to say? The greatest movie ever made. 100% Expand
arashtitanMar 1, 2017
The final installment of Peter Jackson's trilogy turned out to be a marvelous epic that demonstrates outstanding contribution in casting, producing, cinematography, sound editing, score, visual effects, and costume design.
Thatonenerd2187Jan 30, 2017
This is not only is this the best in the series, but it's one of the best movies made of all time period. The story and it's characters are what makes this movie really investing to watch. The characters are at their final stand, and watchingThis is not only is this the best in the series, but it's one of the best movies made of all time period. The story and it's characters are what makes this movie really investing to watch. The characters are at their final stand, and watching the perfect action scenes makes it very entertaining to watch. The film also changes some of the characters in dramatic ways. Some of the main characters are at their breaking point, changing them completely in such an investing way. The films action scenes are some of the best in the series. It's shot very well, it looks amazing, and has some very high tension. The acting in this movie is fantastic, without one bad performance. And by god, the soundtrack is as solid as ever. This movie reminds me of cinema at it's best, and that films as good as this do exist. I would highly recommend giving this a watch. Expand
DenathornDec 22, 2016
Amazing, just like the first two, it is emotionally saddening to see the epic saga come to an end. From its "picking-off-where-we-last-left-off" beginning to its amazing conclusion, the movie is an incredible feat, definitely deserving ofAmazing, just like the first two, it is emotionally saddening to see the epic saga come to an end. From its "picking-off-where-we-last-left-off" beginning to its amazing conclusion, the movie is an incredible feat, definitely deserving of the one thousand some Oscars it won! Expand
AdVictoriamJun 5, 2017
When Christian movies are given the chance to have full AAA resources put into them, they are widely successful. This and Narnia are just a couple of examples. That said, this is a masterpiece, displaying the wholesomeness of ChristianWhen Christian movies are given the chance to have full AAA resources put into them, they are widely successful. This and Narnia are just a couple of examples. That said, this is a masterpiece, displaying the wholesomeness of Christian values. The acting is spot on, the visuals are breath taking, and they did a good job staying true to the original book. Best thing of all, since the author himself has said this was an allegory to Christianity, no matter what the twisted progressives have to say about it; that will never change. Christianity built the utopian west, and Christian values also make the best movies. Amazing how a friendly competition between two brothers in Christ (Tolkien and Lewis) could produce such epic pieces of art (LOTR and Narnia ). Bit of foretelling too, God is always leaving clues, of things that were to come. The king of Lohan being taken by evil and refusing to do anything about the rape and pillage of his people, is very much like the current state of the west and its being invaded by Muslims. Expand