New Line Cinema | Release Date: December 17, 2003
Universal acclaim based on 2236 Ratings
2,065
WATCH NOW
FurbydudeDec 14, 2007
I see some of you hated this movie. but that's silly because a LOT of movies are long and boring nowadays (and I was being sarcastic). LOTR was at least a good trilogy. in some of the boring bits, I tried to stay awake for the exciting I see some of you hated this movie. but that's silly because a LOT of movies are long and boring nowadays (and I was being sarcastic). LOTR was at least a good trilogy. in some of the boring bits, I tried to stay awake for the exciting parts, and yes it was a good movie. Expand
ChanceB.Apr 23, 2007
The trilogy was one of the only ones that I've seen that actually matched the books.
BrandonS.Jun 22, 2008
A classic in every sense. These movies were essentially one 14-hour epic broken into three installments (just as the original is really one long novel broken into three books). Completely amazing, groundbreaking, and full of heart. It's A classic in every sense. These movies were essentially one 14-hour epic broken into three installments (just as the original is really one long novel broken into three books). Completely amazing, groundbreaking, and full of heart. It's set the bar by which all future epics will be judged. Expand
HarryJun 23, 2008
It is cinema at its finest. The story, told through a genuine narrative, is very deep, as it is full of symbolism. Tolkien had vision when he wrote the books. Jackson then made the films. They were perfect. He envisioned one of the most It is cinema at its finest. The story, told through a genuine narrative, is very deep, as it is full of symbolism. Tolkien had vision when he wrote the books. Jackson then made the films. They were perfect. He envisioned one of the most imaginative world with so much skill, making every detail feel realistic. The beauty of the score and the magical atmosphere of the Elvish culture is simply unforgettable. The performances are really good. I didn't see actors, I saw mythological creatures. The film is full of emotions, touching themes such as friendship, courage and love. The films are deeper than what they seem, even philosophical, with Gollum being the most complex character of the series. His transformation is extraordinary, he could be a reflect of a psycho's psychology. The film is a cinematic achievement. Expand
HunterB.Dec 17, 2003
Best movie ever.
HayleyR.Dec 17, 2003
Someone gave this a zero, I noticed. Who would do such a thing? This movie made me so incredibly happy. My friends and I saw it last night and we all agree that it was perfect. It completely overshot our expectations. Anyone who cannot enjoy Someone gave this a zero, I noticed. Who would do such a thing? This movie made me so incredibly happy. My friends and I saw it last night and we all agree that it was perfect. It completely overshot our expectations. Anyone who cannot enjoy something that is so much fun probably enjoys absolutely nothing. Expand
AndyE.Dec 11, 2006
This film takes the cake as one of my favorite movies of all time. The special effects are spectacular, and the action sequences make me want to watch them over and over again! Peter Jackson really outdid himself in making an excellent book This film takes the cake as one of my favorite movies of all time. The special effects are spectacular, and the action sequences make me want to watch them over and over again! Peter Jackson really outdid himself in making an excellent book into a movie that is the best I have ever seen. The acting was excellent, there were no blotches in the special effects, and the models were beyond perfection! If I could give this a higher grade, I would give Lord of the Rings: Return of the King a perfect A+. Expand
StevenFOct 2, 2013
The final chapter in the groundbreaking trilogy can only be described in epic fashion as a satisfying conclusion, it maintains all the drama, battle, interest, fright and fantasy that its predecessors held, but still manages to inject moreThe final chapter in the groundbreaking trilogy can only be described in epic fashion as a satisfying conclusion, it maintains all the drama, battle, interest, fright and fantasy that its predecessors held, but still manages to inject more life into the story with many twists and turns to feel a sense of despair that's its now over. Saying that, at the time of writing this, The Hobbit trilogy is obviously in full swing, but it's a prequel, so this technically is the end. Just when we thought there was a silver lining after the events of the Two Towers, the battle of Helms Deep was mesmerising yet tragic, but a victory was in toe, yet as we kick off Return of the King, we realise that was only the tip of the iceberg, as Gandalf (Ian McKellan), King Theodin (Bernard Hill), Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen), Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and Gimli (John Rys-Davies) continue their quest to stop the powerful Sauron, who is changing the very landscape of Middle Earth. Aragorn again plays a pivotal part in the finale, attempting to take back a throne that is rightfully his, Mortensen excellently shows so much development of his character over the three films, always fighting the good fight while looking out for those who matter most, now in the midst of leading a rebellion against Mordor. But the real journey still soldiers on with Frodo (Elijah Wood) as he edges ever closer to Mordor, but the ring continues to overburden him, alienating his only friend, Sam (Sean Astin), who can't seem to do right, he continuously warns his friend of the threat of Gollum (Andy Serkis), who has a more expansive role here, we see his humble beginnings as one of the river folk, with his eventual descent into madness well documented. These three must take a secret passage into flaming city in the hope of destroying the ring. What also comes to mind is that these
Frodo and company haven't seen any of the original Fellowship since the first film, they aren't aware that Gandalf is alive, but Gandalf himself now knows that the hobbits are still around, we get the sense of hope from his face that they were indeed around only days before. Almost every scene in the film proves significant, they all feel like closing moments of a long-running show, each character we have come to know over the films have very important roles to play in how the war will pan out, even the accidental travellers of Merry (Dominic Monaghan) and Pippin (Billy Boyd), who proved more than useful in the fall of Saruman (Christopher Lee). We also have most visually spectacular of the three, the massive battle scenes on the edges of Mordor are some of the finest elements of the film, one of the smaller charges against the enemy comes to mind as we are treated to a beautiful medley from Pippin as many soldiers ride to their likely death. In terms of the ending, it really should have decided on one, but the film, or entire saga for that matter, has been such an achievement in special effects, writing, direction and acting, the muddled endings can be forgiven, for the crowing battle of Minas Tirith is a wonderful piece of cinema, combining real set pieces with spectacular effects seamlessly, it just works so well. Many will argue the ridiculousness of such a tale as this story comes into full play, debating whether they pack the emotional punch or relevancy of other masterful pieces, but take a look at how much an audience loves to get lost in a supernatural or fantasy world, and why shouldn't they? There is so much to relate to with these characters and the journey they have taken and where it will go, something we can do as well. It speaks volumes when we choose to separate from big bad out there to seek solitude in a riveting adventure, one which Middle Earth will always hold, there will probably be nothing quite like it again.
oxanaMay 20, 2014
This film was massive; although "The Two Towers" had a great battle at Helm's Deep, the fight that takes place before Minas Tirith is massive on another scale entirely.

We have finally met all our heroes, and it is time to get all the

We have finally met all our heroes, and it is time to get all the pieces really moving.

Frodo and Sam, guided by Gollum/Sméagol continue their journey to Mordor, now choosing another road that seems to be even more perilous than the first.

In the meanwhile, Gandalf tries to find out where Sauron will strike next now that Saruman has been defeated, and all signs point towards Gondor.

The fight scenes are incredible to watch. Men, Elf and Dwarf alike are put to test to see who will emerge victorious in the end. The slight sparks of humor in the midst of action only make it better. May the best Dwarf win!

The attention to details in clothes, weapons and cities remains the same all thorough the series - something a viewer takes for granted at least the first few times. The score is beautiful and fitting.

Since this concludes the trilogy, we are handed a rather long ending (with several "fake" endings). After a long movie, it starts to feel a bit drawn out, yet it is a fitting end for the Fellowship.

It is hard to write a worthy review for a movie you love so much. Again, I thought they pushed too much of Arwen in random, short shots into the movie, but that was so that the audience would not forget about her... and Liv Tyler is pretty to look at, so let's forgive them for the slight disruption of balance. Also, I am still amused about the moving spotlight that Sauron's Eye is. Just saying.

Once again, if you have a chance to get your hands on the extended edition, do that; lots of extra goodies there.
OfficialDec 6, 2013
"LOTR: The Return of the King", the last installment in the series, is also by far, the best in the series too. The emotional depth that has been put in this epic finale is tremendously effective. The extended edition, at 263 minutes, is"LOTR: The Return of the King", the last installment in the series, is also by far, the best in the series too. The emotional depth that has been put in this epic finale is tremendously effective. The extended edition, at 263 minutes, is absolutely brilliant. The action is exhilarating, the acting is powerful, and is fantastically staged. This movie is one of the greatest masterpieces ever made in movie history. Expand
DrewtheDude85May 28, 2015
With the first two Lord of the Rings films being so amazing to where they were basically masterpieces, the bar was really raised to the highest peak for this third film, but Peter Jackson delivered. The Return of the King is an absoluteWith the first two Lord of the Rings films being so amazing to where they were basically masterpieces, the bar was really raised to the highest peak for this third film, but Peter Jackson delivered. The Return of the King is an absolute cinematic masterpiece and quite possibly the greatest film that I have ever witnessed. Every single time I see this film, I feel absolutely awe-inspired afterwards. I never felt that this film dragged on too much, every minute of it felt special even though this film is 200 Minutes long. The action scenes are at it's best with this film, you will captivated throughout this film's fighting scenes and other perilous scenes. Everything else that also made the first two LOTR films so great are also back plus more. However, the climax is phenomenal! The Climax of this film is probably the greatest movie scene ever made in my opinion and arguably worth the price of admission alone (even though the first 2/3rds of the film are still fantastic). The Climax is extremely emotional and meaningful and I love it! I really can't think of a single thing about this film that is bad or even mediocre; IT"S THAT GOOD. If you are a movie lover then do your self a favor and watch The Lord of the Rings trilogy. All three films are Masterpieces and this final film will not disappoint, guaranteed. Expand
JohnMasterLJul 20, 2015
La mejor película de fantasía de todos los tiempos. The Return of the King es hermosa, perfecta, una aventura de 3 horas y 21 minutos repleta de emociones, es totalmente épica, dramática, divertida y poderosa. Peter Jackson creo una obraLa mejor película de fantasía de todos los tiempos. The Return of the King es hermosa, perfecta, una aventura de 3 horas y 21 minutos repleta de emociones, es totalmente épica, dramática, divertida y poderosa. Peter Jackson creo una obra maestra única e insuperable. Coloca las 3 partes juntas y obtendrás la mejor aventura mágica y épica de todos los tiempos con duración de casi 10 horas. Ganadora de 11 premios de la Academia. The Lord of the Rings es la mejor trilogía que eh visto. Expand
LOTRfanMar 13, 2015
Magnificent film. The best movie of 21st century so far. I call The Lord Of The Rings trilogy as The Godfather in Fantasy genre. When you see it, you will love it. You can get anything from this film. Love, epic, friendship, sadness and etc.Magnificent film. The best movie of 21st century so far. I call The Lord Of The Rings trilogy as The Godfather in Fantasy genre. When you see it, you will love it. You can get anything from this film. Love, epic, friendship, sadness and etc. My favorite film of all time! Expand
VinceRocks123Jun 25, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Peter Jackson wields his wizardly holy direction to astounding heights in the final chapter of Tolkien's LOTR franchise with the magnificent Return of the King, which easily will be remembered as one of the greatest movies of all time.

With Sauron's forces closing overshadowing almost all of middle earth, Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) with the aid of Gandalf (Sir Ian McKellen) must fulfill his destiny as the rightful king of Gondor, as they lead a united army in a final stance against Sauron's forces on the peak of Minus Tirith (in one of the most longest expensive and visually well edited battle sequence ever caught on film).

Meanwhile as Frodo closes in on the mountain of Doom, the rings' power goes out of control far than he can bear as its evil influence begin to corrupt him, with its infatuation on his eyes. Gollum once known as the treasonous hobbit Smeagol (Andy Serkis in his finest performance yet) also falls once again prey to the rings' seductive power as he plots to betray Frodo to once again reclaim the ring, and amidst the chaos Sam is framed to be against Frodo by Gollum, pitying the odds to be winning in Sauron's favor that threatens to seal the fate of Middle Earth once and for all.

Spectacular in both visual direction, cinematography, as well as the action sequences, the film also improves more on the performances especially Wood, Serkis, and Billy Boyd as Samwise as it displays them giving into the rings destructive power, with a detailed flashback of Smeagol's encounter with the Ring and how it destroyed his character forever, helmed by a much more masterful directing by Jackson.

Hands down the best trilogy as I conclude my triple 5 star review wrapping in the finest writing I can muster.
Winner of 11 academy awards including best picture, the film is more enhanced in epic scope and powerful in being a magnificent chapter to be seen to believe.
MovieMasterEddyApr 17, 2016
A “King” that earns its crown, Peter Jackson’s final installment in his monumental “The Lord of the Rings” represents that filmmaking rarity — a third part of a trilogy that is decisively the best of the lot. With epic conflict, staggeringA “King” that earns its crown, Peter Jackson’s final installment in his monumental “The Lord of the Rings” represents that filmmaking rarity — a third part of a trilogy that is decisively the best of the lot. With epic conflict, staggering battles, striking landscapes and effects, and resolved character arcs all leading to a dramatic conclusion to more than nine hours of masterful storytelling, “The Return of the King” is an urgently paced 200-minute film without an ounce of fat — until unfortunate multiple endings that go on and on, as if Jackson couldn’t bear to let go.

In the rarefied world of large-scaled cinematic triptychs, three in the modern era quickly come to mind that, initially at least, combined striking cinematic prowess with enormous public enthusiasm: “The Godfather,” “Star Wars” and “The Matrix.” In the first two instances, the second film was by general consensus the best and most adventurous, while the third was by far the weakest across the boards.

What Jackson and New Line so boldly did right was to shoot all three in one continuous stretch rather than start from scratch each time.

Of all the wonders associated with this trio of films — the literate, generally well structured overall script, the perfection of the New Zealand locations, the visionary scenic designs, the exceptional visual effects, the costumes, hair and armor, and the excellent cast — perhaps the most impressive feat of all has been Jackson’s ability to keep it all in his head through the years and deliver a cohesive work with a proper sense of balance and proportion.

Unlike his predecessors in the trilogy business, of course, Jackson had a ready-made three-part text to work from, one constructed to pay off in the climactic installment. And pay off it does, in ways guaranteed to satisfy the multitudes around the world who embraced the first two films, and even to impress non-card-carrying members of the massive Tolkien-Jackson cult.

Still, anyone who hasn’t seen the first two pics won’t have a clue what’s going on at the outset of “The Return of the King.” With much struggle behind him but the worst yet to come, Frodo (Elijah Wood) is increasingly feeling the weight of being the Ringbearer as he and his faithful friend Sam (Sean Astin) make their way toward Mount Doom, the place where the Ring was made and the only place it can be destroyed, thus thwarting Sauron’s attempt to destroy humankind.

In a way new to the trilogy, the emotional momentum surges along with the physical action. After early ambivalence over his responsibility for the Ring, Frodo grows into the job; after long dodging his royal inheritance, Aragorn finally rises to the occasion; Sam, especially, emerges as a three-dimensional character of intense devotion to Frodo even after he has been tricked by the Iago-like Gollum and exiled by his closest friend; and the ineffectual Hobbits Pippin and Merry take on some size, figuratively if not literally.

The building sense of dread is palpable. With the belching Mount Doom and its all-powerful hovering Eye in the distance, humankind and Orcs alike traverse an already stark landscape that will shortly become scorched. Dreadful giant screeching dragons, called Fell Beasts, flap down out the sky to pluck hapless soldiers off their feet and horses. And the Orcs are assisted by yet more monsters, including Hulk-like Trolls and towering, long-tusked mastodons known as Mumakil, that strike terror and make resistance seem futile.

With these forces massing to decide the fate of civilization, Gandalf tries to buy time for Frodo to plunge the Ring into the lava at Mount Doom. To greater effect than he has at any point in the three films, Jackson cuts among different sets of activity, the most spectacular being the battle and the most emotionally intense being Frodo’s painful, inch-by-inch journey.

The siege of Minas Tirith may well be the mother of all cinematic battles; certainly no pre-CGI war film ever featured a scene involving upwards of 200,000 soldiers. But that’s how many Orcs maraud the city, and the details are extraordinary: the huge stones catapulted at the fortifications from mobile towers; the fire-breathing dragon battering ram that crashes through the main gates; the earth-shaking Mumakil that raze all before them with scythe-like tusks and carry dozens of men; the gradual movement of the battle from the ground to the upper levels of the exquisitely designed citadel. All of “The Lord of the Rings” has been building to this, and it delivers entirely.

All the outstanding technical and craft achievements that have been duly honored in the previous installments are at least equaled and sometimes trumped here, especially in regard to how involved the creatures are this time. There has been no let-up in creativity, only intensification.

So Jackson has done it. After seven years of work, Jackson has pulled off one of the most ambitious and phenomenally successful dream projects of all!
Potter17Oct 9, 2011
The "worst" Lord of the Rings movie is a worthy and respectable end for the best trilogy that ever existed in film history.
GoldenEye16Aug 21, 2010
My favorite movie of all time, perhaps the greatest movie of all-time, and definitely the greatest fantasy movie of all time. It seemed like it was a combination of both the elements of the the first to movies plus extra emotion andMy favorite movie of all time, perhaps the greatest movie of all-time, and definitely the greatest fantasy movie of all time. It seemed like it was a combination of both the elements of the the first to movies plus extra emotion and intensity. This movie movie is the definition of epic. Expand
rodericrinehartAug 14, 2010
Take one of the best books ever written, give a visionary director a limitless budget and a perfect cast, and you will end up with this movie. I will watch this movie with my grandchildren (after we read the books!)
Dutter92Feb 4, 2012
One of the best Epics to date. I Can't imagine this Film being better, the magnitude and scale was almost too much to handle but Peter Jackson Pulled it off in triumphant fashion. The characters were as pure and rich as ever before. What aOne of the best Epics to date. I Can't imagine this Film being better, the magnitude and scale was almost too much to handle but Peter Jackson Pulled it off in triumphant fashion. The characters were as pure and rich as ever before. What a treasure to have for the rest of our lives. Wonderful! Expand
marnee96Nov 4, 2011
The Return of the King is an epic masterpiece. It's an emotional and satisfying end to a great story. Although, it is a little too long but that doesn't bother me. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 4/4 stars.
heyitsmegrif4May 26, 2012
The best ensemble there is give us the best performances I have ever seen, with dazzling visual effects breathtaking action, and probably blowing anyone who sees it out of their seat with the emotional power of the franchise and the movieThe best ensemble there is give us the best performances I have ever seen, with dazzling visual effects breathtaking action, and probably blowing anyone who sees it out of their seat with the emotional power of the franchise and the movie itself. I give this movie 100%. Expand
DanielB.Sep 3, 2005
The greatest epic fantasy of all time. Movies will never be the same again!
BoydL.Mar 16, 2008
Awesome.
TiagoM.Mar 29, 2009
This is perhaps the best film ever made! It's the most dramatic an epic end of a great trilogy ever imagined! Tolkien was definitely a genius and Peter Jackson is an excellent director. His vision of Middle Earth is simply amazing and This is perhaps the best film ever made! It's the most dramatic an epic end of a great trilogy ever imagined! Tolkien was definitely a genius and Peter Jackson is an excellent director. His vision of Middle Earth is simply amazing and "The Return of the King" shows it very clearly! Fantastic, unbelievable, magic, it's a film from a different world! Expand
LeoW.May 17, 2006
HE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!
PhilipR.Aug 19, 2006
The best of the trilogy, a film you can watch 30 times and still love. Shame its just out of the top 5. (hmm... none of the top 5 are recent films) But if it was up to me this would be #1 and the other two would be about #6 or 7.
mazkyAug 29, 2010
Who in their right mind would give this anything but a 10/10. Possibly one of the best films ever released, better than part 1 about the same as part 2. With some of the most epic battle scenes and strongest storytelling this one will be aWho in their right mind would give this anything but a 10/10. Possibly one of the best films ever released, better than part 1 about the same as part 2. With some of the most epic battle scenes and strongest storytelling this one will be a classic for generations. Expand
CursedKnight187Jul 31, 2012
This has to be the greatest movie I have ever had the pleasure to watch. Stereo-typically franchises lose their flavor as they progress, but this is absolutely untrue for the Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson has created what is probably theThis has to be the greatest movie I have ever had the pleasure to watch. Stereo-typically franchises lose their flavor as they progress, but this is absolutely untrue for the Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson has created what is probably the closes we will ever get to a perfect book adapted movie. It has the personal touch of the characters, the epic battles, the beautiful visuals and possibly the best cast ever assembled. A truly inspiring movie. Well done Peter Jackson. Expand
csw12Dec 22, 2012
The miracle is that 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is better: tighter, smarter, funnier the previous 2 and that is saying a lot. Peter Jackson has created some of the greatest films ever made for the movie screen. TotalThe miracle is that 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is better: tighter, smarter, funnier the previous 2 and that is saying a lot. Peter Jackson has created some of the greatest films ever made for the movie screen. Total perfection in every aspect it takes to make a movie. This is an astonishing achievement in movie making. An epic masterpiece of total perfection that will leave you amazed. Expand
wesker2012Jun 1, 2012
The best of the three, this movie is the def. of epic. One of the best movies ever made.
NecromusDec 4, 2012
This movie was true to the books. Everything in the movie looked the way I imagined it looking when I read the book long ago when I was a boy. Although, I usually don't like CGI, the CGI in this trilogy is absolutely great. As are theThis movie was true to the books. Everything in the movie looked the way I imagined it looking when I read the book long ago when I was a boy. Although, I usually don't like CGI, the CGI in this trilogy is absolutely great. As are the costumes and sets. Gollum is the first CGI character from a serious film that I have liked. It is probably because he was basically a virtual puppet that an actual puppeteer,controlled and they recorded the data points in a computer and then drew the CGI around his movements. Way better than Jar Jar Binks in Start Wars lol! Expand
DLev18Jan 18, 2011
An epic book series ends with an epic movie series. Peter Jackson has taken J.R.R. Tolkien's books and brought them to the big screen. Well done Mr. Jackson. I really don't know how you could dislike these movies. He literally took the booksAn epic book series ends with an epic movie series. Peter Jackson has taken J.R.R. Tolkien's books and brought them to the big screen. Well done Mr. Jackson. I really don't know how you could dislike these movies. He literally took the books and included as much as he could to perfection. Any negative comment don't listen to them cause they are ill advised ratings. Best book trilogy of all time = best movie trilogy of all time. 5/5 stars. Expand
CurumoJun 14, 2011
I think masterpiece is the word that summarizes the whole movie. Also, it has one of the best productions ever. The original story did not disturbed much. Moreover, the cast is the best cast possible.
AnnieW.May 22, 2010
The best movie ever made.
8 of 10 users found this helpful
libnoOct 22, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although the eagle part is both kinda random and it kinda makes you think 'hey, let's just ride some eagles to Mordor instead!" And Gandalf is a disappointment ever since he got resurrected. All he does is hit people with a stick and shine bright lights. When he was Grey he actually used magic but now he's white (not the racist way) and he's nothing more than a human flashlight. When Orcs are attacking, they waited until they surrounded their entire army before finally attacking. And the whole reunion thing was kinda stupid. And the Gondor palace was at the top of a cliff with no handrails or anything. When Aragorn was getting crowned, it looked like somebody was going to fall off. However, all the temptation elements, and neglected second son elements along with the after-waiting-for-the-enemy-to-form-up-action completely make up for it. Expand
SasquatchFelixDec 16, 2010
If you hate these movies than you must hate movies in general theses are easily some of the most engaging and epic movies ever, which is saying a ton about a movie based on a book. Reviewers like J should not be able to use this website... period
ClankaNov 21, 2010
Perhaps some of those who gave this masterpeice 0 should look at the screen and watch the movie next time they see one! ha ha ha! Idiots ones who give this a low score don't even know what a good movie is, perhaps they can go back to theirPerhaps some of those who gave this masterpeice 0 should look at the screen and watch the movie next time they see one! ha ha ha! Idiots ones who give this a low score don't even know what a good movie is, perhaps they can go back to their cots and pway wive their tweddies! Expand
MovieLonely94Oct 30, 2010
the best movie of all time and the only one that nearly made me cry.
JE.Feb 24, 2008
I have been a Ring fan since the early 60's. I have followed the animated attempts and, while I appreciated each, none came anywhere close to doing justice to the trilogy. Jackson's effort was nearly perfect; the same spirit, drive I have been a Ring fan since the early 60's. I have followed the animated attempts and, while I appreciated each, none came anywhere close to doing justice to the trilogy. Jackson's effort was nearly perfect; the same spirit, drive and reach I felt in the books, without obvious flaws. Plus, it was gorgeous. Expand
6 of 8 users found this helpful
ShahmeerMay 15, 2011
Just to warn you, this might be my longest review. Ever. Lord of the Ring The Return of the King is directed by Peter Jackson, starring Elijah Wood and many others. It was released in 2003, following the previous two film, The Two Towers andJust to warn you, this might be my longest review. Ever. Lord of the Ring The Return of the King is directed by Peter Jackson, starring Elijah Wood and many others. It was released in 2003, following the previous two film, The Two Towers and The Fellowship of the Ring. Its success in the box office made it the 2nd most grossing film of all time back then. Then, a year after it's release, the folm got nominated for 11 Academy Awards. It went on to win all of them. Never had a film done so well financially, critically and with fans. Yes, this sparked one of the biggest franchise makings ever. With the longest lenght of game ever, one of the most character figures in stores, and so much more. Fans were never more pleased. And so, here I write the review on The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King, the film that changed the entertainment industry forever. The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King is based in the fictional world of Middle Earth. It follows a young Hobbit, Frodo, and his guides and friends (The Fellowiship of the RIng) as the journey on a quest to destroy the Ring and to bring man back to it's rightful throne. In the first film, the quest begins, in the second one, it is continued and more complexity is brought to the plot, and in the third film, it is at it's climax and is concluded. On the quest, the Fellowship seperates form the fact that they were attacked by a battalion of Orcs. They are seperated into 3 groups; Frodo and Sam; Pippin and Merry; and Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn (who are later meet up with Gandalf). We follow all three of the groups as they fight, survive, and save Middle Earth.

This film is like no other I have ever seen. And for that, i have to break it down into five parts. (1) Story (2) Acting (3) Vissuals and Cinematgrophy (4) Score (5) Directing.
(1) Story; When JRR Tolken fisrt wrote The Hobbit, he knew he could get farther with the story. After years of writing, he finally came up with The Lord of the RIngs. When Peter JAckson first started filming the movies, people said it couldn't be done. But oh, were they wrong. Never have I seen such a complex, exciting, and moving story come to the big screen. It's spectacular sense of drama and action all put into one is a masterpiece. Story: 10/10
(2) I don't know what idiots run the Academy, but I can tell you that they are some stupid people. To rob this fillm of any acting NOMINATION is just sad, sad supidity. When you got the only good acting from a fantasy film ever, you might as well congratulate it with atleast a nomination. But no, just go and screw up the voting proccess with not adding any actors from this film to the ballot. With the best acting coming from Viggo Mortenson, a supporting actor, he brought so much fun to the dull parts and to the exciting parts of thr film, as well. Elijah Wood also brought clear emotion and pain to his character, which is what was needed to make his character perfect. And he did make it perfect. Acting: 10/10
(3) When it comes to visuals and cinematgrophy, this film had the very best. Angles that blew your breatha way, and special effects that looked so real that you could tough it, critics just knew nothing could beat this in those two aspects (besides Avatar). With years of designing beasts, creatures, and other organisms for Middle Earth, the special effects team put those long years to good use. One scene, in which Gandalf and Pippin are climbing to the top of Minis Tirith, the angles and use of camera were so amazing, that no place on Earth could rest your pleading for Middle Earth to be real. But sadly, it's only real in the film, and that's good enough for me. Visuals and Cinematography: 10/10
(4) Score: Howard Shore's score for this film brought a sense of amazement, such as John Williams did to Star Wars. Intensity, sadness, and joy were all felt in the making of thsi score. When the score was needed most, this film gladly used it to it's best extent. I advise everyone reading this review to check it out one YouTube, for it can go with almost anything you're doing (peeling potatoes, drying yourself with a tower, etc.) The Academy Award winning song "Into the Woods" is being played while I write this review. Yup, one of the best scores ever. Score: 101/10
(5) Directing; Saving the best for last, the directing. Peter Jackson brought every, freakin good part from the books to every freakin scene in the film. 'Nuff said.

So, as I complete my longest review ever, I just wantn to say to all the haters: You guys hate, us lovers will love. Now this is probably my most unproffesional review, for I am just loving it and loving it for no reason. But you don't need reason to know that the best film in the world is the best for it's brotherhood, friendship, and love; The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King.
ChrnoToddNov 18, 2011
The best movie ever made. This movie is supreme in every aspect: visualy, story-wise, directing and with an extraordinary soundtrack (one of the best soundtrack - if not is - ever made
WilliamE.Sep 20, 2005
I suspect the people who give this or any LOTR movie a low score must be frustrated Matrix- or Star Wars-fans, jealous of LOTR's success.

I am a big fan of all three franchises, but in our hearts, we all know that LOTR far outshines the other two in most respects - acting, direction, cinematography, and overall story depth are but a few that spring to mind.
Make no mistake, this trilogy (which not long ago most thought would be impossible to make) is a cinematic achievement rivalled by few, and bettered by none.
XavierEJul 2, 2009
The greatest film I've ever seen.
AaronRAug 1, 2009
I recently re-watched the entire trilogy. I can safely say, that these are my all time favorite movies. RotK has some of the best action scenes I've ever had the pleasure to watch. The love between Aragorn and Arwyn is so beautiful and I recently re-watched the entire trilogy. I can safely say, that these are my all time favorite movies. RotK has some of the best action scenes I've ever had the pleasure to watch. The love between Aragorn and Arwyn is so beautiful and well crafted that I myself started to love Arwen. Every character was fleshed out so much so that there is no question as to them being real. You really feel that this is more of a true story then a fantasy epic. The sets? My god, I want a scal model of Minas Tirith. These sets were so well designed, so well painted, that it was just, amazing. Special effects were easily the best I have ever seen. The Oliphaunts were my favorite effect next to the Fell beast, which was also an amazing effect. Finally, the story, its a fitting end to the best trilogy that i can think of. At four hours long (the credits accounting for the last twelve minutes or so), it doesn't rush, nor does it feel drawn out. This trilogy, not just the film, but the entire trilogy, set the bar for how book-to-movie adaptations should be made. Thank you, Mr. Peter Jackson, thank you for giving me my most cherished film series of all time. Expand
AnnaLAug 1, 2009
An amazing finale to an epic trilogy. The first two out of necessity lacked the satisfactory feel of really ending, whereas this final film had the privilege of finishing all character arcs and loose ends and presents Tolkein's finest An amazing finale to an epic trilogy. The first two out of necessity lacked the satisfactory feel of really ending, whereas this final film had the privilege of finishing all character arcs and loose ends and presents Tolkein's finest book in all its majesty. Even if it was 10 times longer I would have watched it to the end. Expand
TonylJul 25, 2009
Hands down best movie for all ages once you've seen the first two. This movie has a shot at being the best of all time.
Trev29Jun 11, 2013
Words will never be enough to describe this movie. You must see and feel this movie to understand the absolute perfection it portrays. No other piece of film will ever compare to it.
JamesCannonFeb 16, 2013
Act ionized version of the great book. Where Tolkien merely mentions of violence, Jackson expands upon it but with excellent results. He also expands on the roles of some of the characters, none the less its quiet awesome to see thisAct ionized version of the great book. Where Tolkien merely mentions of violence, Jackson expands upon it but with excellent results. He also expands on the roles of some of the characters, none the less its quiet awesome to see this unfold. It is a first of its a kind, a fully realized fantasy movie that delivers in every sense of the word. The themes are all there, the cast is great, and the sweeping score is amazing to the battle scenes that arise. When I saw this in the theatre in 2003 I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the screen. Expand
RelaxingKyleAug 30, 2010
I personally don't understand how someone could NOT give this movie 10/10. It's one of the very few movies that's both touchingly beautiful and downright disturbing. I don't really care about the length of movies to be perfectly honest,I personally don't understand how someone could NOT give this movie 10/10. It's one of the very few movies that's both touchingly beautiful and downright disturbing. I don't really care about the length of movies to be perfectly honest, therefore the length of this movie doesn't bother me. And really, how many of us die-hard fans didn't shed a tear when Gandalf tells the Hobbits "I will not say 'do not weep,' for not all tears are evil." In fact, I was basically in tears from the point where all of the Humans were about to fight at the Black Gate. This movie is absolutely a perfect movie, and in my opinion it is THE best movie ever made. Expand
CritiqueGirlMar 2, 2011
I have read and re-read these books for 25 years. When I saw them I was blown away. True to the story and CGI, visuals were excellent. The only time I was disappointed visually was when they used little people. It was not done well. AndI have read and re-read these books for 25 years. When I saw them I was blown away. True to the story and CGI, visuals were excellent. The only time I was disappointed visually was when they used little people. It was not done well. And read the books. Expand
HalfwelshmanMay 21, 2011
A fittingly epic end to a near-perfect trilogy. ROTK not only breaks the formula of third parts in the trilogy being the worst, it actually succeeds in bettering its predecessors. Luckily it has the privilege of resolving all the plot pointsA fittingly epic end to a near-perfect trilogy. ROTK not only breaks the formula of third parts in the trilogy being the worst, it actually succeeds in bettering its predecessors. Luckily it has the privilege of resolving all the plot points from FOTR and TTT, and therefore doesn't suffer from their chief problem - they had to break off the story at some point. The finale is awesome in every sense of the word, from start to finish - from the colossal battle scenes to the quieter character-driven moments it sets the standard not just for fantasy films, but all films. The only real drawback of ROTK is that after watching it, you are finally forced to leave Middle Earth behind. Expand
NintendoMasterGOct 17, 2011
Is this perhaps the best movie I've ever seen? Yep. Does it have an awesome story with excellent acting and amazing scenes? it sure does! The Return of the King is just like the other two Lord of the Rings movies: a masterpiece!
spadenxDec 6, 2011
I agree that the film is a masterpiece and not only shows Peter Jackson's direct skills at full blast but it shows that even now we can still produce a film that will stun you in the way that Return Of The King has.

The only problems with

The only problems with the film I have are this - The acting ,will solid through out, is no where near as good as any other part of the film and it is a bit disapointing. Also there are parts with the CGI and special effects look painfully obvious (usually when the actors are on the screen when they occur). Besides that, Its a great film.
JohnS.Jan 3, 2004
It's amusing to watch the reaction of Star Wars and Godfather fans as many professional critics slaughtered their sacred cows by proclaiming Lord of the Rings trilogy better -- which it is. At 37, I have viewed those other trilogies manyIt's amusing to watch the reaction of Star Wars and Godfather fans as many professional critics slaughtered their sacred cows by proclaiming Lord of the Rings trilogy better -- which it is. At 37, I have viewed those other trilogies many times. I love Stars Wars and the Godfather movies, but the Lord of the Rings is both grander and more subtle. And the Return of the King distills its best qualities to their essence. Their has never been a better blend of operatic grandeur and intimacy, and there won't be until someone takes decades to create world and its history again. Expand
CarolynApr 4, 2004
Perfect.
AlextheNomadMar 13, 2008
Folks, I had the stamina and time to go through all the comments on this here thread. And I think all that should have been said to acclaim the movie was said, but here is the interesting thing i noticed... 80-90 percent of all 0 ratings are Folks, I had the stamina and time to go through all the comments on this here thread. And I think all that should have been said to acclaim the movie was said, but here is the interesting thing i noticed... 80-90 percent of all 0 ratings are submitted by the same dork who uses similar dorky wordings like too busy, too long, not impressed, much ado about nothing, not my cup of tea etc. But even with the dork bending over backwards to diminish the score it still got an 8 plus... Just goes to show how great this movie is ... Long live the true craftsmen of the cinematic art!!! Expand
21DaHoagie12Jan 8, 2013
All the people who don't like this movie are either bitter, childish harry bladder fans or they're just so miserable, so critical and just such pathetic human beings that they refuse to be entertained by anything...
sanyrubDec 8, 2013
Could not have imagined a better ending for this trilogy. The better paced one among the 3, not one single filler moment. Action great as always, visuals great as always, excitement in overload mode because we know we are getting to the end.Could not have imagined a better ending for this trilogy. The better paced one among the 3, not one single filler moment. Action great as always, visuals great as always, excitement in overload mode because we know we are getting to the end. Emotional content on point. It has everything, and more. The last hour is just superb. Like I said in my reviews for the other 2 parts, despite everything epic in this trilogy, the heart of the film are Frodo and Sam. That´s beautiful, and even hair-raising in that final hour. I mean, I´m sure Sam was Frodo´s boyfriend for crying out loud! lol Sam had to get a girl at the end just to follow the outdated rules of society No, seriously, it´s amazingly epic and emotive at the same time. Very few times achieved in a film. I can´t give it a 10 because there are very few perfect things in this life and I´m hard when it comes to reviewing. But it has to be the strongest 9 I´ve ever given. Expand
MouthofSauronDec 5, 2012
"The Return of the King" is the best of the trilogy. It's passionate, and grand in scale and scope. An unforgettable conclusion to an already impressive series.
HarryPotterIsgayJan 2, 2004
Anyone who doesn't like the lord of the rings can suck my ass. You dirty pieces of shit are the reason it has an 8.9 out of ten instead of one hundred. And all you purists can shut the hell up because its called a screenplay, which meansAnyone who doesn't like the lord of the rings can suck my ass. You dirty pieces of shit are the reason it has an 8.9 out of ten instead of one hundred. And all you purists can shut the hell up because its called a screenplay, which means it is made for the cinema and isn't going to have every fucking thing that was in the books in the movies. You stupid shitlickers Expand
3 of 5 users found this helpful
TTTJul 13, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible . When I watch the backstage of the film I was surprised of the work to make this movie. The sword are real and produced by a smith . And the commitment of the actors . Second, the movie has played very well the Tolkien's book including environments, characters and plot.
I really love this film.
cameronmorewoodNov 14, 2012
The best of Jackson's middle earth epics is also the longest, and rightfully so. Return of the King is a wonderful and gripping tale with ups and downs that despite its fantasy, make it seem almost relatable.
HunterB.Nov 16, 2007
Best movie ever.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
JacobJan 12, 2013
There is so much you could say about this film but I am going to keep it brief. Return of the King is a great film and possibly one of if not the best film adaptation of a book I have ever seen. It cuts stuff out to keep the plot moving andThere is so much you could say about this film but I am going to keep it brief. Return of the King is a great film and possibly one of if not the best film adaptation of a book I have ever seen. It cuts stuff out to keep the plot moving and the stuff that Expand
beingryanjudeAug 24, 2014
It is no small feat to perfectly tie together an extraordinary trilogy. The Return of the King is, perhaps, the most passionate of all three. There is a reason why the Oscars awarded this film Best Picture... it is a masterpiece.
marian1233321Aug 9, 2011
a
NickS.Mar 7, 2004
It was great. I have to agree with some people that the ghosts left the battle something to be desired. The battle did last long enough though to make it epic. But, it really wasn't the epic battle of the movie. The battle at theIt was great. I have to agree with some people that the ghosts left the battle something to be desired. The battle did last long enough though to make it epic. But, it really wasn't the epic battle of the movie. The battle at the Black Gate was honestly the epic one. If you think about it, they faced impossible odds, and they were all united to fight the odds. Anyway, the film was one of the best ive ever seen, and it is not overrated. Its actually underrated from my point of view. I reccomend this film to anyone who loves fantasy movies. Oh yeah, and CONGRATS to the Lord of the Rings cast and crew. You worked hard to make it, and you won alll 11 Oscars. HORRAY FOR LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING!!!!!!! Expand
1 of 3 users found this helpful
StabsM.Sep 4, 2008
Look, the movie was good. The best that can be done turning the compelling, but slow-paced and sprawling, Tolkein trilogy into a movie. I loved the books. I liked the movies fine. But I never understood the intense love-a-thon thrown to the Look, the movie was good. The best that can be done turning the compelling, but slow-paced and sprawling, Tolkein trilogy into a movie. I loved the books. I liked the movies fine. But I never understood the intense love-a-thon thrown to the movies - they aren't exactly masterpieces of anything but special effects (though the special effects were incredible). It isn't like there's any acting in the movie, and it isn't like they were somehow better than the books, you know? Expand
7 of 24 users found this helpful
tonyGreenMay 27, 2011
For me the least of the trilogy, Nevertheless still a good film. A few snags such as Orks with **** accents, and a love-story element that seems superfluous (for then boys at least), and the last half-hour did seem to drag on.
JDec 12, 2003
All of these movies are no good at all! It's just one gigantic battle scene, that is boring after about 1 minute. Everything is too weird with all these hobbits and dwarves and wizards and magical people that don't exist. All ofAll of these movies are no good at all! It's just one gigantic battle scene, that is boring after about 1 minute. Everything is too weird with all these hobbits and dwarves and wizards and magical people that don't exist. All of this is too fake and I can't believe that so many people love these worthless movies so much. How can you sit through 3 straight hours of junk like that? Expand
1 of 5 users found this helpful
AkashVijayJan 21, 2015
It's absurd that the most acclaimed Lord of the Rings movie is the weakest one (at least to me). Return of the King lacks the tightness of Fellowship of the Ring and the emotional touch of The Two Towers. The formula it uses is- Build up toIt's absurd that the most acclaimed Lord of the Rings movie is the weakest one (at least to me). Return of the King lacks the tightness of Fellowship of the Ring and the emotional touch of The Two Towers. The formula it uses is- Build up to battle - Battle - Build up to battle - Battle - Half a dozen endings. This may be one of those rare examples of an adaptation being too faithful. An extremely accurate adaptation doesn't always qualify as a good one. A film stands on its own. It can't justify its flaws by leaning on the book. Return of the King blends in its enchanting score with its pitch-perfect cinematography, but it lacks the focus of the previous 2 film. Expand
NekuuOct 26, 2014
I absolutely hated this movie, the acting was terrible, who the **** likes hobbits. The ****ing main character is a douche that has no friends. Overall I rate this movie -2/10 but 0 is the lowest for this **** website
RuisertTheGaelMay 17, 2009
Well, Jackson managed to not foul this one up quite as bad as Two Towers, but still, it has to pick up and continue all the problems from TT. I was not about to spend decent money on this in a theater, since I pretty much knew it was going Well, Jackson managed to not foul this one up quite as bad as Two Towers, but still, it has to pick up and continue all the problems from TT. I was not about to spend decent money on this in a theater, since I pretty much knew it was going to inherit all the junk leftover from TT, and probably add to it. At least it did NOT have Arwen take the sword from Aragorn and show him how to use it right, like I feared it might... Add to that the half dozen or more times when Jackson re-wrote some of the best scenes from the book and pretty much ruined them, well. I'm just glad I can read. Expand
4 of 31 users found this helpful
RyanSAug 7, 2009
This movie, along with the entire series, is a slap in the face to J.R.R. Tolkien. Besides for changing the characterizations of nearly all the major characters (aka Pippin, the idiot in the book, tricks Treebeard, one of the smartest This movie, along with the entire series, is a slap in the face to J.R.R. Tolkien. Besides for changing the characterizations of nearly all the major characters (aka Pippin, the idiot in the book, tricks Treebeard, one of the smartest characters, into invading Isengaurd????????) changing the basic mythology about dwarfs and elves ( The first scene in the two towers i EXACTLY OPPOSITE as it is in the book. You couldn't make it more opposite if you were actively trying to destroy Tolkien's work.) It also adds a pointless and time consuming romance between Aragorn and Arwyn that was just plain cheesy. And finally, in the book, if any character could kill a OLIPHAUNT you would have expected it to be one of the MAIN characters such as Gandalf or Aragorn or even Frodo. But no. Instead, Legalas, in the books one of the supporting characters but in the movies he might as well have been the star considering the airtime he gets compared to other supporting characters such as Gimli, kills an OLIPHAUNT. I have never seen anything more ridiculous in my life. Meanwhile, scenes that ACTUALLY HAPPENED in the books such as Pippin defeating TWO CAVE TROLLS is cut in favor of more shots of Legolas's face and more romance crap between Aragorn and Arwyn. And don't even get me started on the camera work. It's like all the cameramen took a bunch of speed before shooting and were unable to prevent the camera from shaking uncontrollably. All in all I'd have to say congratulations Peter Jackson you managed to turn a masterpiece into a sensationalized, special effects ridden piece of Hollywood crap that any real fan of the books would be utterly disgusted with. Expand
1 of 18 users found this helpful
IsaacMDec 18, 2007
Whoever gives this movie anything higher than a 1 needs their head checked. That goes for The Two Towers as well. The Fellowship of the Ring well I gave it a 4. These movies are just an over rated and disappointing adaption of the book I was Whoever gives this movie anything higher than a 1 needs their head checked. That goes for The Two Towers as well. The Fellowship of the Ring well I gave it a 4. These movies are just an over rated and disappointing adaption of the book I was looking forward to great things and I heard about how close it was to the book I thought this is going to be great. When the 1st of the Trilogy came out I thought ok this is doing a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the book and its been nicely adapted however there were parts that I dearly wanted to see. Then the 2nd came out yuck I fell asleep halfway through the movie and walked out of the cinema angry that Peter Jackson was allowed to make such a mess of the book. This 3rd part of the Trilogy I walked out after 30 minutes peed off to the extreme. I even asked for my money back I was so angry. Tolkein would be rolling in his grave. The essence of the books was entirely missed. Parts were added to the movie that were never in the book as well which completely ruined the entire experience. Jackson cut out much of the books why couldn't he just use some of the material that he cut instead of adding his own quasi-creative bits in. Its overacted, fails to immerse the audience, and grates on and on. Peter Jackson is a talentless fraud who deserves everything bad in life and I will never watch another movie made by him ever again. Expand
1 of 18 users found this helpful
PatrickSJun 22, 2004
While some of you, given the great reviews this stinker has gotten, may be brainwahed, or rather pressured into loving this trilogy of CGI crud, I ask everyone else to stay far away. This movie is obviously inspired by some sort of Al QaedaWhile some of you, given the great reviews this stinker has gotten, may be brainwahed, or rather pressured into loving this trilogy of CGI crud, I ask everyone else to stay far away. This movie is obviously inspired by some sort of Al Qaeda training video, teaching us how "the enemy" (the good ole US of A) can not be reasoned with and therefore must all be slaughtered. You who live by this movie should rethink your life. And about three-quarters of the way through, Return of the King suddenly becomes laugh-out-loud awful, with dreadful, lame lines delivered painfully badly - as if a different screenwriter and director had taken over for the movie's final act. From Gimli's "we'll surely die... let's go" speech to anything coming out of the mouth of neurotic man-beast Elijah Wood, this movie is a clunker. And why'd they have to kill Legolas? It doesnt work, and wasnt in Tolkiens original book. They also should have kept in the scene where Frodo and Sam fight the spyder. I was sad to see that they left it out of all three movies entirely. Overall, miss this crappy movie and see a real mans movie like Dirty Dancing 1 or House Party 4. Avoid this torrid flimsy piece of messy crap at all costs, unless you wish to be overtaken by boredom. This is one ring you won't want to be the lord of.
1 of 19 users found this helpful
TacoM.Oct 9, 2006
At last it is over. The most horrifying trilogy of movies to ever insult the screen are finished. Made me wretch almost as much as the new episodes of Star Wars. These movies, like Titanic and Star Wars, are made popular by morons who listen At last it is over. The most horrifying trilogy of movies to ever insult the screen are finished. Made me wretch almost as much as the new episodes of Star Wars. These movies, like Titanic and Star Wars, are made popular by morons who listen to what the movie industry tells them. Anyone who can seriously step back and evaluate this movie will see that is a joke. If you read the books, you are completely let down by the stupifyingly modern take on everything and the fact that most of books have been left out. If you didn't read the books and could follow what was going on, well good for you. Peter Jackson: next time you attempt to turn a book into a movie, try reading the book first! Expand
1 of 20 users found this helpful
bwDec 16, 2003
this movie was pathetic, why would gandalf get his head cut off. in the book, aragorn never died...but in the movie, that damn arwen chick shot him! gimli's legs got chopped off by legolas, and then legolas died of old age! saruman diedthis movie was pathetic, why would gandalf get his head cut off. in the book, aragorn never died...but in the movie, that damn arwen chick shot him! gimli's legs got chopped off by legolas, and then legolas died of old age! saruman died from drug overdose, and frodo and sam were too high to throw the ring in the fire! gollum committed suicide after the movie, and the ring was made of see through plastic! stupid stupid movie Expand
1 of 21 users found this helpful
ChristopherEMay 7, 2009
Half way through this movie, my girlfriend and I lost interest and started talking instead - luckily, we were at the drive-in.
3 of 67 users found this helpful
C.B.Oct 20, 2005
More like "Lord of the Borings."
BassApr 20, 2006
I hate all the Lord of the Rings films, there all pathetic works of cinema that should have never been made. If you ever see a copy of any of them on dvd somewhere, stop what ever you're doing and make every attempt to destroy theI hate all the Lord of the Rings films, there all pathetic works of cinema that should have never been made. If you ever see a copy of any of them on dvd somewhere, stop what ever you're doing and make every attempt to destroy the disk-you'll be making the world a better place. Expand
0 of 8 users found this helpful
BobB.Jan 1, 2004
BORING.
JoelCamboJan 23, 2004
This movie was really good, just like the previous two. Acting was great, and the action flowed well. I give this movie a 9 because the conclusion took too long. It made me keep thinking "Frodo, please just get on the boat and get on withThis movie was really good, just like the previous two. Acting was great, and the action flowed well. I give this movie a 9 because the conclusion took too long. It made me keep thinking "Frodo, please just get on the boat and get on with life,". The goodbyes didnt need to take 15 minutes. It could have ended with a bang, but the ending dragged on a little and kind of ruined an otherwise perfect final chapter. Too bad. Expand
SteveI.Jan 8, 2004
ZZzzzZzZzZzZzZz, thank god this boring trash is done and finished with. I didn't think this movie would ever end. We won't have to deal with it next year. THANK GOD.
brandonbMar 27, 2004
i enjoyed the previous two but as i was watching ROTK, i started to ask questions like what is the eye going to do with a ring?, or if it was forged from the other rings, then why it it better than the other rings? it's a fake!, andi enjoyed the previous two but as i was watching ROTK, i started to ask questions like what is the eye going to do with a ring?, or if it was forged from the other rings, then why it it better than the other rings? it's a fake!, and lastly, why diddnt they go to the ghosts sooner? it would have saved everyone a whole lot of work and agony since the ghosts killed ALL the bad guys in 5 minutes without casualty. someone please explain these things and maybe i'll reconsider. maybe i wasnt paying attention, maybe im thinking too much, or maybe i should read the books. till then, this movie definetely doesn't deserve 11 oscars and it definetely won't get a 10. it was long, cheesy, and dissapointing. Expand
0 of 3 users found this helpful
MichaelRamseyJun 4, 2004
While all-in-all was a decent conclusion to the series. I agree with Mr. Phipps in his (Jackson's) not adding the "Scouring of the Shire". There are moments in it which let us understand what it all was about, at least for the Hobbits. While all-in-all was a decent conclusion to the series. I agree with Mr. Phipps in his (Jackson's) not adding the "Scouring of the Shire". There are moments in it which let us understand what it all was about, at least for the Hobbits. And that wisdom does come from experience... not age. Expand
D.B.Feb 5, 2006
Boring, melodramatic, laughably cheesy at the end. And "The Days of our Lives" has more believable, authentic acting. When there are so many interesting things to watch, why spend (a ton of) your time watching this? It's proof that Boring, melodramatic, laughably cheesy at the end. And "The Days of our Lives" has more believable, authentic acting. When there are so many interesting things to watch, why spend (a ton of) your time watching this? It's proof that movie critics have become so jaded that they are only impressed by size, glitz, and visual grandeur ("Oooh! Look at the big mountain!). That's the only way I can explain the outpouring of praise for this mediocre, boring, self-absorbed, self-indulgent piece of second rate epic tripe. My precious? Not in the least. Expand
StefanMar 5, 2006
A magnificent fantasy film, but I can't bear to watch it. Jackson invents unnecessary scenes which makes it apparent that he hasn't understood the original story, or deemed it more important to cater for his own visual and A magnificent fantasy film, but I can't bear to watch it. Jackson invents unnecessary scenes which makes it apparent that he hasn't understood the original story, or deemed it more important to cater for his own visual and dramaturgical interests. This is ok when it comes to King Kong, but Tolkien's book has a much different, and imho superior quality of atmosphere: more wise, more witty and more... magnificent. Expand
StarrettBJan 2, 2007
The acting by many of the characters was excellent and the cinematography was unparalleled. Congrats to Peter Jackson for accomplishing such an amazing epic in film especially with such a difficult series of books to convert to screen. While The acting by many of the characters was excellent and the cinematography was unparalleled. Congrats to Peter Jackson for accomplishing such an amazing epic in film especially with such a difficult series of books to convert to screen. While I would not call it the greatest movie of all time, I definitely would say that it holds its own against a vast majority of films. Oh and to Taco M...if you took the time to view any of the documentaries on the film, it would become evident to you that they read all three of Tolkien's books (including the Silmarrion) multiple times and in great detail in order to get as much as they could out of the stories. To include every minute detail and story within the books would result in at least three 6 hour movies (which no one would watch). The trilogy was an adaptation of the books, not a visual representation of them. Expand
JacksonG.Jan 4, 2007
Although it does have some gems, overall I'm glad that the trilogy is FINALLY OVER!!! I felt all three of them were incomparably boring.
JasonJ.May 30, 2007
I love this series. The entire story is well organized and keeps the three long movies feeling short. Upon watching all three (again) recently, I have determined that the 3rd is the weakest. Maybe it was director fatigue. Maybe it was the I love this series. The entire story is well organized and keeps the three long movies feeling short. Upon watching all three (again) recently, I have determined that the 3rd is the weakest. Maybe it was director fatigue. Maybe it was the fact that all of the genius was spent. The ending of this movie was the disaster that pulled it down from a 9.5 to a 7. Too much crying and too many endings. It was like watching the extra Napoleon Dynamite scene (the wedding). It must be man's instinct to try and ruin something that was otherwise perfect. Expand
JackSJul 26, 2007
My wife and step daughters loved the books and the films, but I could never get into them. Granted, the acting, cinematography and attention to detail are there, but in my opinion, this movie drags on and on. My family was riveted and loved My wife and step daughters loved the books and the films, but I could never get into them. Granted, the acting, cinematography and attention to detail are there, but in my opinion, this movie drags on and on. My family was riveted and loved every second, but I was reaching for the No-Doze. Expand
AMJan 2, 2004
Obviously, this is a well-made, often thrilling, and gorgeous looking movie, but I must admit to a feeling of "is this it" afterwards. The battles were wonderfully shot, and aside from Eowyn, Theodan and Merry's contributions, entirely Obviously, this is a well-made, often thrilling, and gorgeous looking movie, but I must admit to a feeling of "is this it" afterwards. The battles were wonderfully shot, and aside from Eowyn, Theodan and Merry's contributions, entirely devoid of emotion. Denethor's character was muddled, to say the least. Orc deaths took precedence over the ringbearer himself. Something in this movie is distressingly off kilter, unbalanced. I realize it was an enormous task to translate such a literary work to such a visual medium, and applaud Jackson's zeal in making it work to some extent, but really: best motion picture of the year? Of all time? A perfect film, this is not. Expand
AnonymousMCJan 3, 2006
If "Fellowship" and "Towers" were considered epic filmmaking, "The Return of the King" is super-epic. The battles are bigger, the emotions are stronger, the scenery is grander. You don't want the story to be over quite yet, and JacksonIf "Fellowship" and "Towers" were considered epic filmmaking, "The Return of the King" is super-epic. The battles are bigger, the emotions are stronger, the scenery is grander. You don't want the story to be over quite yet, and Jackson does his best to stretch it out as long as he possibly can! It's a culmination right to follow the previous two films and worthy of the awards bestowed on it. Expand
ChristopherJ.Mar 17, 2007
The trilogy is pretty good, but this one dragged. "I know how we can fend off evil!! With an army of ghosts!! Yeah!!" What a lame ending!
MarionmMay 1, 2008
The music is the best ever for any relaxation therapy !!!! Its kinda like church MUSIC!!!!!! sadly most of these people think this movie is GREAT!!!! its aint trust me folks!!! It was boring and REALLY REALLLY CHEESY. It might have passed asThe music is the best ever for any relaxation therapy !!!! Its kinda like church MUSIC!!!!!! sadly most of these people think this movie is GREAT!!!! its aint trust me folks!!! It was boring and REALLY REALLLY CHEESY. It might have passed as a when-you-have-nothing-to-do FILM!!!! but ist just wayyyyyyyyy tooo long!!! Expand
sdMar 28, 2009
To everyone who rated this at 0 or 1(and used the word hoopla)I physically shudder to think of the movies you rate highly.White chicks springs to mind.
ButtahBiscuitDec 12, 2003
Amazing! I am the 41st reviewer of a movie that has 5 more days to be released! This is almost like Minority Report - we find you guilty of being about to see this movie and rate it with a 9. Remarkable - What'll they think of next?
LegionODorkSDec 19, 2003
This ZERO is for the pinheads rating this movie as 'BEST MOVIE EVER'. Yes, if you've seen only three movies in your life-- including the first two installments of this outrageously overrated series-- than yes, FANBOY, this isThis ZERO is for the pinheads rating this movie as 'BEST MOVIE EVER'. Yes, if you've seen only three movies in your life-- including the first two installments of this outrageously overrated series-- than yes, FANBOY, this is the best picture ever. If, on the other hand, you're over 3 years old, you may have seen... oh... I don't know... 200 better films, conservatively? Let me guess: George W. Bushole.. best President EVER?!? I thought so... Expand
0 of 18 users found this helpful
DaveDec 21, 2003
I must say i'v read Rick's review, and although i don't agree, i was laughing my a** off. The moive did start to drag ALOT in the middle, and it seemed like everyone was kinda forcing there acting(script) parts. The effects I must say i'v read Rick's review, and although i don't agree, i was laughing my a** off. The moive did start to drag ALOT in the middle, and it seemed like everyone was kinda forcing there acting(script) parts. The effects however, is the most superior to date than any other movie.Absolutely demolish?s matrix special effects. I did however understand what Rick meant by "nerds". I think it was geared to more of the hardcore fans. With such length, thats why it kinda fell in the middle and picked itself back up again. I don't think it was that bad though, in consideration of the whole film, and its length. I know it's based on a book but i lowered my score based on the ending as well, it could have been better. I do feel that Ebert's review was dead on. And Tyler G., you don't have to read all the books to tell if this movie was good or not. It's like looking at Matrix Revolution(without seeing the pervious installments) and saying Matrix Revolution was a perfect movie. Its not, it was horrible. The return of the king, stands by ITSELF as not such a great movie. And no i didn't compare it to Hogwarts and what Middle-Earth stands for, and bla bla bla, cuz im not that much of a diehard fan.I just thought the movie really disappointing. Expand