9.0

1. Apr 3, 2014
    No other movie (other then the 2 prequels) even come close to being as brilliant as this masterpiece. The dialogue, the music, the visual effects, acting, everything in this movie is 100% perfect and that's an understatement. Nothing can ever take its place of best movie ever made (imo).
  2. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is absolutely amazing! The Return of the King is a big favorite of mine in terms of movies in general. I loved it so much. The action and drama in it was amazing. Other things that make The Lord of the Rings great is also in this film. I especially like the scene when Frodo was ready to drop the ring into Mount Doom and ended up battling Smeagol; that scene was very intense and even put me on the edge of my seat watching it. I also like how calm the movie ends after all the battles are over; overall this film is just fantastic! A perfect finale to one of the best movie trilogies of all time! Expand
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    Epic, the best film of 2003. Peter Jackson created a masterpiece with great music and the biggest battle I've seen in a movie. 10 and deserves the truth.
  4. Mar 2, 2014
    Amazing movie with tons and tons of actors who make it one of their best performances. Truly an incredible story with cutting-edge technology used for 'creatures' like Gollum or the Nazgul.
    Peter Jackson did a great job making this movie.
    Of course, there are a few bits and pieces missing, especially when comparing them to the books Tolkien made. But a curmudgeon that cares about that.
  5. Jan 5, 2014
    I just recently watched this the first time in my life and I got to say it is now one of my favorite movies and now im obsessed with the lord of the rings
  6. Dec 8, 2013
    Could not have imagined a better ending for this trilogy. The better paced one among the 3, not one single filler moment. Action great as always, visuals great as always, excitement in overload mode because we know we are getting to the end. Emotional content on point. It has everything, and more. The last hour is just superb. Like I said in my reviews for the other 2 parts, despite everything epic in this trilogy, the heart of the film are Frodo and Sam. That´s beautiful, and even hair-raising in that final hour. I mean, I´m sure Sam was Frodo´s boyfriend for crying out loud! lol Sam had to get a girl at the end just to follow the outdated rules of society No, seriously, it´s amazingly epic and emotive at the same time. Very few times achieved in a film. I can´t give it a 10 because there are very few perfect things in this life and I´m hard when it comes to reviewing. But it has to be the strongest 9 I´ve ever given. Expand
  7. Dec 6, 2013
    "LOTR: The Return of the King", the last installment in the series, is also by far, the best in the series too. The emotional depth that has been put in this epic finale is tremendously effective. The extended edition, at 263 minutes, is absolutely brilliant. The action is exhilarating, the acting is powerful, and is fantastically staged. This movie is one of the greatest masterpieces ever made in movie history. Expand
  8. Dec 4, 2013
    For Jackson to shoot The Lord of the Rings with a local crew in New Zealand, a country at the edge of the world with little stake in its doings, is a marvel which may only be repeated by Jackson himself. Apart from the international cast, the people who were actually working to bring us the trilogy, like special effects, were Kiwis. The majority of this credit must go to Jackson for his leadership and vision, and for succeeding in hiring an able team.

The Return of the King is the concluding chapter in the trilogy. The story is picked up where it was left off at the end of The Two Towers. We are shown a glimpse into Gollum's past. The rest of the fellowship reunite at Isengard. Saruman's fate is omitted from the theatrical edition, which I always found odd given his importance in the previous instalment.

It is a time for festivities in Rohan in the wake of the victory at Helm's Deep. An accident shows us Sauron's plans for Minas Tirith, the legendary capital of Gondor. The fellowship breaks again in a different way. Gandalf rides to the city to find the steward reluctant to lift even a finger for its defence. Needless to say, things work out and Rohirrim ride for Gondor's aid. Faramir, dejected by his father, rides out in a last ditched effort to reclaim Osgiliath.

A family heirloom is returned to Aragorn which he uses to find help in the most unexpected places. Another plot device if you ask me. If you keep an eye out for them, they become very obvious. Jackson could have lessened its impact or omitted it entirely, making sure the battle was won through the prowess of battle commanders, which he failed to do so. As Fellowship never purported to show us a huge battle at all, and did not have to resolve it, I will forever hold it in higher regard than Return. The Two Towers resolved its battle much more satisfactorily, but Return has got much more on the former in other areas, so the second place goes to the latter.

Orcs begin the attack on the city. Gandalf leads the defence. The battle looks grander than the one at Helm's Deep, the besieging armies and weapons more awe-inspiring. The special effects used to bring this conflict to life were stunning_ showing the destruction of architecture by the catapults and the loss of men and Orcs; as well as bringing to life Shelob, the giant spider. The scene of the Rohirrim cutting through the Orcs on their horses is possibly the most spectacular. Oliphaunts and Nazguls join the fight.

My previous apathy for Eowyn is cured after watching the extended version, in which she develops significantly. In fact, she is the only female character in Middle Earth who is of some worth, and I like where her story took us, climaxing in a very satisfactory way in the middle of a battle, pitted against only the most important antagonists.

The main trio_ Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, are absent from much of the fighting, as the other two accompany the former on his journey of self-discovery. I was earnestly hoping for them to join the fight, which they did (Legolas displaying some very impressive killer moves), but it was so ridiculously short. Four minutes. Believe me, I counted. In this regard The Two Towers was much better, as well as having more memorable scenes with the Gollum.

Frodo's inevitable clash with Gollum goes full circle. Sam displays unprecedented strength of character and resolve, and the Hobbits thrive without much help from men. Men ride once more to aid Frodo in his quest to rid them of the ring, and a final battle sequence follows, after which it is destroyed. In epilogue, we learn about the fates of the Hobbits, Aragorn and Gandalf.

The extended edition had some interesting scenes which enriched the characters and the story, but also some which betrayed some ineptitude at editing. One scene had a character utter the exact same dialogue to persuade someone in the span of a single conversation. Surely a rewording would have been more effective. I scoffed at a particular attempt to blossom an affair between two secondary characters. Such things should have been hinted at in the epilogue. No one is interested in that stuff when the stakes involve the end of the world.

Finally, a discussion about the extraordinary tally at the Oscars. Eleven well-deserved wins out of as many nominations, in fields as diverse as art direction, costume design, make-up, sound, original score, original song, editing, visual effects, adapted screenplay, directing, and Best Picture.

In the end I would observe that the extended editions of the first and second instalments, three hours twenty and three hours thirty-three minutes respectively, enhanced the tales while the third one, a crushing four hours, did not achieve anything of worth.
  9. Dec 1, 2013
    An immensely fantastic piece of cinema and art. Peter Jackson's brilliant final film in the brilliant Rings trilogy. One of (if not the) best trilogies of all time and this is personally my favourite movie of all time. Literally everything is top notch, from the voice acting, to the special effects, to the action, to the beautiful scenery. Mesmerizing to the very end and remember, this movie released back in 2003 and it is leaps and bounds better than half of the junk that comes out now! Once again, the negative reviews and scores are from moronic fools that have the attention spans of a soggy loaf of bread. Even though it has tons of insane actions sequences, war scenes, etc, some of these people STILL got bored. Obviously they wanted it to be non stop action with explosions every second. Sorry, this isn't a Michael Bay movie. Expand
  10. Nov 25, 2013
    Man, this was the best movie based from a book, ever. Although it is really long, it still has its acting, story, and battle scenes that make this one as one of the best ever made.
  11. Nov 22, 2013
    My favorite film and film series of all time. I first saw this movie when I was 8 years old, and though I couldn't completely follow the plot, I really loved the action scenes and all the other things 8-year-old boys love about movies. As I grew older and watched it more times, my love for Return of the King only grew as I began to understand it. Now, I own the extended trilogy on blu-ray, and I watch the series every Christmas: a tradition I plan to keep through the years. Thank you, Lord of the Rings, for many great memories. Expand
  12. Nov 12, 2013
    Bem, isto o seguinte, este um bom filme mas venho aqui principalmente pa dizer que quero tudo no caralho. brasileiros sao uma merda assim como os pretos, coisa positiva nos filmes que nao há nem uma coisa nem outra.
    aproveito para dizer que o pedro mendes da escola eped um lábio de preto, assim como o joao felicio moreira.
    cumps
  13. Oct 27, 2013
    the last film of the epic trilogy the lord of the rings is the best one,althought is one of the longest films ever made with 3hours and 30minutes.absolutely a movie that enters in top 10 of the best films of this century.
  14. Oct 19, 2013
    Every part of this movie was amazing, I watch this all the time, and I love it every time I watch it. I love how through this movie series you are with all the characters journey the whole time.
  15. Oct 2, 2013
    The final chapter in the groundbreaking trilogy can only be described in epic fashion as a satisfying conclusion, it maintains all the drama, battle, interest, fright and fantasy that its predecessors held, but still manages to inject more life into the story with many twists and turns to feel a sense of despair that's its now over. Saying that, at the time of writing this, The Hobbit trilogy is obviously in full swing, but it's a prequel, so this technically is the end. Just when we thought there was a silver lining after the events of the Two Towers, the battle of Helms Deep was mesmerising yet tragic, but a victory was in toe, yet as we kick off Return of the King, we realise that was only the tip of the iceberg, as Gandalf (Ian McKellan), King Theodin (Bernard Hill), Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen), Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and Gimli (John Rys-Davies) continue their quest to stop the powerful Sauron, who is changing the very landscape of Middle Earth. Aragorn again plays a pivotal part in the finale, attempting to take back a throne that is rightfully his, Mortensen excellently shows so much development of his character over the three films, always fighting the good fight while looking out for those who matter most, now in the midst of leading a rebellion against Mordor. But the real journey still soldiers on with Frodo (Elijah Wood) as he edges ever closer to Mordor, but the ring continues to overburden him, alienating his only friend, Sam (Sean Astin), who can't seem to do right, he continuously warns his friend of the threat of Gollum (Andy Serkis), who has a more expansive role here, we see his humble beginnings as one of the river folk, with his eventual descent into madness well documented. These three must take a secret passage into flaming city in the hope of destroying the ring. What also comes to mind is that these
    Frodo and company haven't seen any of the original Fellowship since the first film, they aren't aware that Gandalf is alive, but Gandalf himself now knows that the hobbits are still around, we get the sense of hope from his face that they were indeed around only days before. Almost every scene in the film proves significant, they all feel like closing moments of a long-running show, each character we have come to know over the films have very important roles to play in how the war will pan out, even the accidental travellers of Merry (Dominic Monaghan) and Pippin (Billy Boyd), who proved more than useful in the fall of Saruman (Christopher Lee). We also have most visually spectacular of the three, the massive battle scenes on the edges of Mordor are some of the finest elements of the film, one of the smaller charges against the enemy comes to mind as we are treated to a beautiful medley from Pippin as many soldiers ride to their likely death. In terms of the ending, it really should have decided on one, but the film, or entire saga for that matter, has been such an achievement in special effects, writing, direction and acting, the muddled endings can be forgiven, for the crowing battle of Minas Tirith is a wonderful piece of cinema, combining real set pieces with spectacular effects seamlessly, it just works so well. Many will argue the ridiculousness of such a tale as this story comes into full play, debating whether they pack the emotional punch or relevancy of other masterful pieces, but take a look at how much an audience loves to get lost in a supernatural or fantasy world, and why shouldn't they? There is so much to relate to with these characters and the journey they have taken and where it will go, something we can do as well. It speaks volumes when we choose to separate from big bad out there to seek solitude in a riveting adventure, one which Middle Earth will always hold, there will probably be nothing quite like it again.
  16. Sep 21, 2013
    Very well done. Great acting, great writing, great directing, great effects. This is the rare movie that I have no real complaints about. I understand it may be a bit long for some, but it's easily one of the best movies I've seen.
  17. Aug 31, 2013
    The third chapter of the trilogy is much better than the first two and of course the action is much much better. It's epic and awesome. Congratulations to Peter Jackson!
  18. Aug 30, 2013
    This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It serves as a greatly satisfying ending to the trilogy with a lot of great moments. Also, people need to shut up about the long ending.
  19. Aug 27, 2013
    This is one of the best movies I've ever seen, epic. Even if you're not a fan of fantasy films, you're definitely going to love this one! It lasts for more than 3 hours, but you'll enjoy every minute of it.
  20. Jul 24, 2013
    This movie pushes cinema history to the limit. The battle scenes are stunning as always and so is the acting. I also like how this movie focuses more on Aragorn. The best possible ending to a trilogy.
  21. Jul 16, 2013
    Una de las mejores peliculas de todos los tiempos, excelente tema, actuaciones, efectos visuales y obviamente un epico final predecible pero aun no tapa el gran trabajo de todo este equipo, agradezco por este gran film.
  22. Jul 14, 2013
    I really enjoyed the epic and emotional complexity of the entire film. While the ending may seem overly long (at over 3 hours, that is a bit excessive), but the film is brought to a conclusion that is magical and satisfying. I enjoyed the action, the visuals, the script, the music and the acting. This is a great fantasy film that will live on forever.
  23. Jun 11, 2013
    Words will never be enough to describe this movie. You must see and feel this movie to understand the absolute perfection it portrays. No other piece of film will ever compare to it.
  24. May 25, 2013
    This Film was absolutely amazing! Everything was spectacular in it. With superb acting from Sir Ian Mckellen, Viggo Mortensen, Bernard Hill and Andy Serkis, along with amazing special effects, pitch-perfect story telling and so much emotional scenes, you have got one of the best films of all time. It was so precious. Tolkien was possibly a master of books, but Peter Jackson is a cinema GOD.
  25. May 19, 2013
    The beginning is may seem a little fast, playing various information to the public, but the rest is perfect, and ends in a phenomenal trilogy Peter Jacson, besides revolutionize the industry of special effects, it proves that it has special effects like mixing first and an epic story in a single film.
  26. Mar 23, 2013
    A truly epic and beautiful end to one of the most incredible stories made ​​in the history of mankind.
    Chapter of interpretations, the best over the trilogy is Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, and Ian McKellen in the role of Gandalf. A hitherto unknown actress who does very well is Miranda Otto, who plays Eowyn. Transmits tenderness, nobility and courage in equal measure, as a new Krimilda.
    The sequence in which defends the King Théoden Witch King of Angmar is superb, especially when you cut the head to evil beast. The Nazgul are beautifully created, it must be said. That has been one of the best performances of Jackson.
    Ultimately, the greatest achievement is that Peter Jackson has managed to recreate the atmosphere right hand novels in both locations (New Zealand was a fortunate choice) and the characterization of the beings who inhabit Middle Earth. I'm sure Tolkien would be proud to see how it has adapted its unfading work.
    One of the best films of the decade 2000.
  27. Mar 4, 2013
    Its the awesome final to a awesome trilogy and tops even its two predecessor. I lost myself in the film, when I was watching it. The best in the trilogy and one of the best films to be ever made.
  28. Feb 16, 2013
    Act ionized version of the great book. Where Tolkien merely mentions of violence, Jackson expands upon it but with excellent results. He also expands on the roles of some of the characters, none the less its quiet awesome to see this unfold. It is a first of its a kind, a fully realized fantasy movie that delivers in every sense of the word. The themes are all there, the cast is great, and the sweeping score is amazing to the battle scenes that arise. When I saw this in the theatre in 2003 I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the screen. Collapse
  29. Feb 8, 2013
    Everything about this movie is perfect and that is why it is my all time favorite film. It is epic in every sense of the word and is truly a great ending to one of, if not the best film series ever.
  30. Jan 27, 2013
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy is the greatest trilogy of films ever made, and this is one of the finest examples of brilliant filmmaking of all time. Peter Jackson is an incredible visionary, the cast is great, it adapts the book very well, and it all adds up to one of the best films ever made.
  31. Jan 17, 2013
    An epic movie with an epic end. Love this movie.
  32. Jan 8, 2013
    All the people who don't like this movie are either bitter, childish harry bladder fans or they're just so miserable, so critical and just such pathetic human beings that they refuse to be entertained by anything...
  33. Jan 4, 2013
    Rounding off a trilogy on the right note is no easy task, but Peter Jackson and co. pull it off with ease in this third and final installment of their adaptation of the classic Tolkien tale - it's bursting with marvelous set pieces, heart-wrenchingly emotional drama, and that same plethora of charming characters that rightfully bring it all home.
  34. Dec 27, 2012
    An epic ending to one of the best trilogy ever made. Some of the best battles I've seen in a film. LOTR The Return of the King is a real masterpiece.
  35. Dec 25, 2012
    This is by far one of my most favorite movies of all time. Great actors, special effects, a great script and a lot of great characters that are easy to remember, and you will never forget them.
  36. Dec 22, 2012
    The miracle is that 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is better: tighter, smarter, funnier the previous 2 and that is saying a lot. Peter Jackson has created some of the greatest films ever made for the movie screen. Total perfection in every aspect it takes to make a movie. This is an astonishing achievement in movie making. An epic masterpiece of total perfection that will leave you amazed. Expand
  37. Dec 20, 2012
    Quite possibly the most satisfying and epic conclusion to an already perfect trilogy, the Return of the King is a testament to both the genius of the filmmakers and the original author J.R.R. Tolkien. It blends seamlessly with the Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers to create the journey and story that , and yet stands on its own as a masterpiece, a masterful piece of cinema that will endure till the end of days. Its visual grandeur, cinematographic excellence, musical dexterity, haunting narrative, and ultimate perfection coalesce to create a tale, unlimited in emotional richness, that will resonate through the ages. Every viewing of the film for me is a journey in and of itself, one that ultimately ends in tears (I hear Gandalf lamenting right now "I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil"). I fondly recall the midnight premiere of film and how, when I looked around at the audience during the Grey Havens scene, there was not a dry eye in the house, including my father who has (forgive me for the clicheness ) the emotional range of a teaspoon. If that isn't evidence for the profound emotionality of the film, then I don't know what is. Little scenes throughout the film as well elicited such powerful reactions from the audience I couldn't help but feel even more emotion because of that. The Ride of the Rohirrim, Aragorn's speech, Gandalf and Pippin's moment during the Siege of Minas Tirith, and many other scenes throughout the film, whether they induced goosebumps or tears, created an energy in the theatre that was both palpable and moving. Once the text "The End" appeared on screen, there was a moment of silence, and then an uproar of applause and cheering. Once again, brought to tears. In any case, the Return of the King is and will ever be a Goliath among films, and I cannot imagine that a film will ever be made that will come to dwarf a film such as this. Expand
  38. Dec 18, 2012
    Wow, it is an amazing film. It's not boring. I loved it. It has all the things a perfect movie needs, conclusion: it is epic, see it it is worth your time!
  39. Dec 16, 2012
    This is simply a masterpiece.
    You will never see a trilogy like this one, essential for your cinematographic culture. The Return of the King is the prove that third parts can be much better than the first or second one.
  40. Dec 14, 2012
    After watching the movie I was 100% sure this one is the best movie out of them all. Nothing here could be done better, everything was perfect. The story, the music, the scenery, everything was done as if god sent Tolkien and Jackson and told them to do their job. I didn't read the books, it's a shame, I know, but only because I'm a lazy person (I love reading books) and when I wanted to start, I noticed my dog ate the first 200 pages. But even when I know it's a movie and I didn't read the books, I can see what Tolkien did there, what he made, created, when he did it (In the 30's, 40's and 50's making something that advanced and fantastic, could be called genius, because for something like this you need inspiration and where did Tolkien get it?) and how. If not for Tolkien and Jackson the world of books and movies would be much different. Expand
  41. Dec 11, 2012
    A Flawless job by Peter Jackson. this movie has everything! Action, Adventure, Romance..etc. and the digital effects are amazing!! i had no idea they had the kind of equipment to make such amazing effects! and i see a lot of people complaining about the length of the movie. And i must agree the length of the movie is kinda long..running over 3 hours long. but its better than making 5-6 lotr..right? i think 3 lotr movies is the perfect sequel and this movie will be known for awhile.. Expand
  42. Dec 8, 2012
    The final and best entry in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Sauron begins his final assault on Middle Earth, Gondor is losing and thr rightful king, Aragorn must return to the throne. Frodo and Sam arrive in Mordor but Golum will do anything to stop the ring being destroyed however Frodo himself is feeling the effects of the ring and also does not want it destroyed. Its up to Sam to help Frodo through this final struggle to destroy the ring and save Middle Earth. A stunning conclusion to a fantastic trilogy of films, some of the best in cinema history. Expand
  43. Dec 5, 2012
    "The Return of the King" is the best of the trilogy. It's passionate, and grand in scale and scope. An unforgettable conclusion to an already impressive series.
  44. Dec 4, 2012
    This movie was true to the books. Everything in the movie looked the way I imagined it looking when I read the book long ago when I was a boy. Although, I usually don't like CGI, the CGI in this trilogy is absolutely great. As are the costumes and sets. Gollum is the first CGI character from a serious film that I have liked. It is probably because he was basically a virtual puppet that an actual puppeteer,controlled and they recorded the data points in a computer and then drew the CGI around his movements. Way better than Jar Jar Binks in Start Wars lol! Expand
  45. Nov 25, 2012
    Before this final film came out, I'd been thoroughly disappointed by "Fellowship", and slightly annoyed by "Towers". However, this conclusion easily makes me forget about my feelings towards those other two. Some people might immediately point to the long running time. For once, I actually was sitting in the theatre, oblivious to the time, and wondering whether they would include this or that scene from the book. In fact, I still wish there'd been something about the "Scouring of the Shire". Still, it's hard to find anything not to like about it. Well, one little annoyance which was spread over the three films: making Gimli into a 'comedy-relief' character. Otherwise, if someone can wade through the first two films, then they're be greatly rewarded with this outing. Expand
  46. Nov 22, 2012
    Not as good as people made it out to be. Visually, It's the best the series has been but story-wise it's rather stupid. The whole relying on ghosts thing just irks me for some reason. Action is suprisingly even better then the previous film and it's very satisfying to watch as well. A satisfying ending to the trilogy.
  47. Nov 14, 2012
    The best of Jackson's middle earth epics is also the longest, and rightfully so. Return of the King is a wonderful and gripping tale with ups and downs that despite its fantasy, make it seem almost relatable.
  48. Oct 27, 2012
    This movie and the last two movies are fantastic,but,this movie close the trilogy with a lot of success.The producers of the movie are geniuses.But not only them.Also the director and the writers.
  49. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The book could very easily have been made into two films; there is such a lot that happens and so many twists in the plot that it might have benefitted if that were the case. But we Expand
  50. Oct 11, 2012
    This is easily one of the greatest movies of all time. Stays true to the book, and in some areas, outdoes it. The speech at the black gate is also one of the most epic, chilling scenes in history. Considering I watched the extended edition, which fills in gaps and adds humor and story not seen in theaters, the movie was well over 3 hours. I had to watch in 2 sittings to get through it. I am glad the producers went this route instead of cutting hours and story off the final cut. If you are a fan of the books, or just like epic fight scenes and a good story (recommended you watch the first two or have at least read the books beforehand though) this a movie that is well worth the time you will out into watching it. Expand
  51. Sep 29, 2012
    An epic, must see movie. The acting, special effects and sountrack are enough to force you to watch this. However, the story itself adds to it.Every little facet of this film is pure awesomeness.
  52. Jul 31, 2012
    This has to be the greatest movie I have ever had the pleasure to watch. Stereo-typically franchises lose their flavor as they progress, but this is absolutely untrue for the Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson has created what is probably the closes we will ever get to a perfect book adapted movie. It has the personal touch of the characters, the epic battles, the beautiful visuals and possibly the best cast ever assembled. A truly inspiring movie. Well done Peter Jackson. Expand
  53. Jul 29, 2012
    Yes the epicness itself, the best movie i have ever seen, an amazing plot, battles, messages, effects, and a well rewarded 11 Oscars, 10/10 without any doubt. A masterpiece. The best of the trilogy also in my opinion, another amazing thing about it is of course the Wonderfull Awesome Soundtrack that perfectly fits with the storyline, Good work Peter Jackson, I hope the hobbit will be as good.
  54. Jul 21, 2012
    the best trilogy ever created. Peter Jackson has done what most people thought was impossible, made 3 amazing movies. Lotr deserved all 17 of its Oscars and probably more. this will remain my top 3 movies ever!!
  55. Jul 19, 2012
    this movie is perfect, it deserves much better critic than the user score is. the film does great job in all aspect: story-wise, graphics, an perfect soundtrack, and great acting by the characters. it's a perfect ending of the trilogy. in my opinion the film deserves a (99) of 100 in metacritic.
  56. Jul 12, 2012
    A terrific ending to one of cinema's greatest movie series'. A nearly flawless installment. The battles are terrific and done in superb detail that only Jackson can do. My only complaint is I wish there was a little more talking and a little less fighting, but really, being an action freak, that statement is hardly anything at all.
  57. Jul 3, 2012
    Return of the King is probably my least favorite in the trilogy, but that doesn't make it in any way a bad movie. The battle scenes are awesome, but they get a bit repetitive after a while. Also, this one was a bit harder to follow than the other two. Other than that though, this is a great conclusion to one the best movie franchises of all time!
  58. Jul 3, 2012
    Long? Yes. Boring? No. Faithful to the book? Yes, the most faithful movie to a book ever made in my opinion. Just like it's predecessor's, it gets even better.
  59. Jun 17, 2012
    This is one of the greatest films of all time! It brings an end to the epic tale of the fellowship and it is just perfect. Great book-to-film conversion. The extended version is better though, it includes The Mouth of Sauron as well as other juicy little tidbits.
  60. Jun 6, 2012
    There's nothing that I can say in praise of this film that hasn't already been said. One of the best movies, of the best movie trilogy ever made. Stunning, stunning, and stunning.
  61. Jun 1, 2012
    The best of the three, this movie is the def. of epic. One of the best movies ever made.
  62. May 26, 2012
    The best ensemble there is give us the best performances I have ever seen, with dazzling visual effects breathtaking action, and probably blowing anyone who sees it out of their seat with the emotional power of the franchise and the movie itself. I give this movie 100%.
  63. Apr 3, 2012
    Contiene las mejores escenas de accion que he visto. Es aun mejor que las dos anteriores y resulta ser una de las peliculas mas entretenidas que he visto. Peter Jackson logra adaptar las tre historias perfectamente y al final nos da como resultado la mejor trilogia de todos los tiempos. The Return of the King es una joya del cine moderno y un clasico instantaneo.
  64. Mar 21, 2012
    Superb in every way. Watch the films first, then read the books. An adventure so epic that it will be your measuring point for future fantasy films of the sort.
  65. Mar 17, 2012
    To be honest, "The Return of the King", is truly a spectacular movie, however I can see why people dislike it, due to it's fantasy based story-line, and it's slight differences between the novels. However, it is still truly a stunning movie, both visually and mentally. It does an amazing job in capturing the sense of both dread and hope, particularly in the siege of Minas Tirith. However I have to admit that it's epilogue is almost 20 minutes too long, and slightly "cheesy". But the main kill for this movie not being a 10, is the placing of the climax, the movie flows almost perfectly throughout the first half of the movie, then a truly amazing scene takes place, and due to the length of the scene and the emotions flowing through the audience, one really does feel that "this is it... that's the climax, the best part of the whole film", however it isn't and the rest of the hour was just looked at as a epilogue, which makes it boringly dull afterwards, also the true climax is nowhere close to the power shown in the previously mentioned scene. And this kills the movie's epilogue for me. Expand
  66. Mar 16, 2012
    A perfect movie, it has anything you could possibly want: action, romance, adventure, comedy, war, fantasy... ItÈ
  67. Feb 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the best film ever, it really is, it is even better than the two towers, the storyline is better than ever, when gollum betrays frodo and sam, oh i love that bit... Expand
  68. Feb 6, 2012
    An epic conclusion to one of the best movie trilogies of all time. Great characters, action scenes and a story that we cared for. The Lord of the Rings delivered to the hype and although its cheesy at times it makes up with it with its charm. Masterpiece.
  69. Feb 4, 2012
    One of the best Epics to date. I Can't imagine this Film being better, the magnitude and scale was almost too much to handle but Peter Jackson Pulled it off in triumphant fashion. The characters were as pure and rich as ever before. What a treasure to have for the rest of our lives. Wonderful!
  70. Jan 20, 2012
    I am happy to see the awarness of the community. Reviews of those people who do not understand epicness and quality of this movie from some reason , are found unhelpfull. On the other hand almost everyone agrees with those who give compliments to this movie , peter jackson , and of course great tolkien. I watched whole trilogy many times and i can only say , that it is the greates trilogy ever. By my opinion all three of these movies are best there is in the movie world. If someone hasnt still watched it , chances are slim but , he should watch it right away , not just this one but whole tirlogy. Thank you community. Expand
  71. Jan 9, 2012
    A masterpiece of the film the battle of Pellenor Fields when they introduced the Mumakils were absolutely breath-taking. I did felt however that Faramir should've given just a tad bit more screen time even a minute. But thats the most minor of the minor problems so I thought this film was EPIC! the ending was a drag though
  72. Dec 12, 2011
    I had to rate this movie because is my all time favorite, I mean, with 12 oscars you can't go wrong, the feeling I get everytime I watch it is epicness, the music, the effects, the acting, everything is perfect and is a must see for any medieval/fantasy fan. 100/100 Best movie ever
  73. Dec 6, 2011
    I agree that the film is a masterpiece and not only shows Peter Jackson's direct skills at full blast but it shows that even now we can still produce a film that will stun you in the way that Return Of The King has.

The only problems with the film I have are this - The acting ,will solid through out, is no where near as good as any other part of the film and it is a bit disapointing.
    Also there are parts with the CGI and special effects look painfully obvious (usually when the actors are on the screen when they occur). Besides that, Its a great film. Expand
  74. Nov 18, 2011
    The best movie ever made. This movie is supreme in every aspect: visualy, story-wise, directing and with an extraordinary soundtrack (one of the best soundtrack - if not is - ever made
  75. Nov 4, 2011
    The Return of the King is an epic masterpiece. It's an emotional and satisfying end to a great story. Although, it is a little too long but that doesn't bother me. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 4/4 stars.
  76. Oct 17, 2011
    Is this perhaps the best movie I've ever seen? Yep. Does it have an awesome story with excellent acting and amazing scenes? it sure does! The Return of the King is just like the other two Lord of the Rings movies: a masterpiece!
  77. Oct 9, 2011
    The "worst" Lord of the Rings movie is a worthy and respectable end for the best trilogy that ever existed in film history.
  78. Aug 9, 2011
    It's a perfect epic. There's not one false step. The battles are incredible, the characters just as fun as ever. This movie is basically flawless. One of the best ever
  79. TTT
    Jul 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible . When I watch the backstage of the film I was surprised of the work to make this movie. The sword are real and produced by a smith . And the commitment of the actors . Second, the movie has played very well the Tolkien's book including environments, characters and plot.
    I really love this film.
  80. Jun 14, 2011
    I think masterpiece is the word that summarizes the whole movie. Also, it has one of the best productions ever. The original story did not disturbed much. Moreover, the cast is the best cast possible.
  81. May 21, 2011
    A fittingly epic end to a near-perfect trilogy. ROTK not only breaks the formula of third parts in the trilogy being the worst, it actually succeeds in bettering its predecessors. Luckily it has the privilege of resolving all the plot points from FOTR and TTT, and therefore doesn't suffer from their chief problem - they had to break off the story at some point. The finale is awesome in every sense of the word, from start to finish - from the colossal battle scenes to the quieter character-driven moments it sets the standard not just for fantasy films, but all films. The only real drawback of ROTK is that after watching it, you are finally forced to leave Middle Earth behind. Expand
  82. May 15, 2011
    Just to warn you, this might be my longest review. Ever. Lord of the Ring The Return of the King is directed by Peter Jackson, starring Elijah Wood and many others. It was released in 2003, following the previous two film, The Two Towers and The Fellowship of the Ring. Its success in the box office made it the 2nd most grossing film of all time back then. Then, a year after it's release, the folm got nominated for 11 Academy Awards. It went on to win all of them. Never had a film done so well financially, critically and with fans. Yes, this sparked one of the biggest franchise makings ever. With the longest lenght of game ever, one of the most character figures in stores, and so much more. Fans were never more pleased. And so, here I write the review on The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King, the film that changed the entertainment industry forever. The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King is based in the fictional world of Middle Earth. It follows a young Hobbit, Frodo, and his guides and friends (The Fellowiship of the RIng) as the journey on a quest to destroy the Ring and to bring man back to it's rightful throne. In the first film, the quest begins, in the second one, it is continued and more complexity is brought to the plot, and in the third film, it is at it's climax and is concluded. On the quest, the Fellowship seperates form the fact that they were attacked by a battalion of Orcs. They are seperated into 3 groups; Frodo and Sam; Pippin and Merry; and Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn (who are later meet up with Gandalf). We follow all three of the groups as they fight, survive, and save Middle Earth.

This film is like no other I have ever seen. And for that, i have to break it down into five parts. (1) Story (2) Acting (3) Vissuals and Cinematgrophy (4) Score (5) Directing.
    (1) Story; When JRR Tolken fisrt wrote The Hobbit, he knew he could get farther with the story. After years of writing, he finally came up with The Lord of the RIngs. When Peter JAckson first started filming the movies, people said it couldn't be done. But oh, were they wrong. Never have I seen such a complex, exciting, and moving story come to the big screen. It's spectacular sense of drama and action all put into one is a masterpiece. Story: 10/10
    (2) I don't know what idiots run the Academy, but I can tell you that they are some stupid people. To rob this fillm of any acting NOMINATION is just sad, sad supidity. When you got the only good acting from a fantasy film ever, you might as well congratulate it with atleast a nomination. But no, just go and screw up the voting proccess with not adding any actors from this film to the ballot. With the best acting coming from Viggo Mortenson, a supporting actor, he brought so much fun to the dull parts and to the exciting parts of thr film, as well. Elijah Wood also brought clear emotion and pain to his character, which is what was needed to make his character perfect. And he did make it perfect. Acting: 10/10
    (3) When it comes to visuals and cinematgrophy, this film had the very best. Angles that blew your breatha way, and special effects that looked so real that you could tough it, critics just knew nothing could beat this in those two aspects (besides Avatar). With years of designing beasts, creatures, and other organisms for Middle Earth, the special effects team put those long years to good use. One scene, in which Gandalf and Pippin are climbing to the top of Minis Tirith, the angles and use of camera were so amazing, that no place on Earth could rest your pleading for Middle Earth to be real. But sadly, it's only real in the film, and that's good enough for me. Visuals and Cinematography: 10/10
    (4) Score: Howard Shore's score for this film brought a sense of amazement, such as John Williams did to Star Wars. Intensity, sadness, and joy were all felt in the making of thsi score. When the score was needed most, this film gladly used it to it's best extent. I advise everyone reading this review to check it out one YouTube, for it can go with almost anything you're doing (peeling potatoes, drying yourself with a tower, etc.) The Academy Award winning song "Into the Woods" is being played while I write this review. Yup, one of the best scores ever. Score: 101/10
    (5) Directing; Saving the best for last, the directing. Peter Jackson brought every, freakin good part from the books to every freakin scene in the film. 'Nuff said.

So, as I complete my longest review ever, I just wantn to say to all the haters: You guys hate, us lovers will love. Now this is probably my most unproffesional review, for I am just loving it and loving it for no reason. But you don't need reason to know that the best film in the world is the best for it's brotherhood, friendship, and love; The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King.
  83. May 7, 2011
    The greatest book in the world has rightfully become the greatest movie in the world. 10 out of 10 any day! Tolkien is by far my favorite author, and out of all the books turned into movies, this was the best. Howard Shore conducts a legendary score second only to John Williams. Every aspect of this movie was as impeccable os the novel itself. If Tolkien were alive today... (sniff, sniff)
  84. Apr 15, 2011
    This film clearly is the best triology made of our time and we are so lucky to have live this experience thoughout 2001-2002 and 2003 phenomenon, The Hobbit is coming soon!!!!! i have a feeling that this will be as good as this three brilliant masterpieces
  85. Mar 13, 2011
    I love this movie so very much. Every time i see it, it still tears me up after watching it at least 9 times. Even though it is really hard to tell what there saying( another marvelous feet by the director). An incredible movie that i think has the best freaking ending ever.
  86. Mar 2, 2011
    I have read and re-read these books for 25 years. When I saw them I was blown away. True to the story and CGI, visuals were excellent. The only time I was disappointed visually was when they used little people. It was not done well. And read the books.
  87. Feb 22, 2011
    The best film I've ever watched. It combines everything I love about films. Superb directing, passionate acting (with the exception of Bloom), amazing music, and the ability to grab and not let go. This film (and trilogy) completely fulfill the definition of epic.
  88. Jan 20, 2011
    By far this is my all time favorite movie. It surpasses virtually every other movie in every way. The lord of the Rings Return of the king is a must see before you kick the bucket.
  89. Jan 18, 2011
    An epic book series ends with an epic movie series. Peter Jackson has taken J.R.R. Tolkien's books and brought them to the big screen. Well done Mr. Jackson. I really don't know how you could dislike these movies. He literally took the books and included as much as he could to perfection. Any negative comment don't listen to them cause they are ill advised ratings. Best book trilogy of all time = best movie trilogy of all time. 5/5 stars. Expand
  90. Dec 26, 2010
    You guys who gave this a 0 are trolling, right? I've read the books, watched the films, both are amazing, really can't see how people are giving this 0s and 1s.. that's about all.
  91. Dec 16, 2010
    If you hate these movies than you must hate movies in general theses are easily some of the most engaging and epic movies ever, which is saying a ton about a movie based on a book. Reviewers like J should not be able to use this website... period
  92. Nov 21, 2010
    Perhaps some of those who gave this masterpeice 0 should look at the screen and watch the movie next time they see one! ha ha ha! Idiots ones who give this a low score don't even know what a good movie is, perhaps they can go back to their cots and pway wive their tweddies!
  93. Oct 30, 2010
    the best movie of all time and the only one that nearly made me cry.
  94. Oct 22, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although the eagle part is both kinda random and it kinda makes you think 'hey, let's just ride some eagles to Mordor instead!" And Gandalf is a disappointment ever since he got resurrected. All he does is hit people with a stick and shine bright lights. When he was Grey he actually used magic but now he's white (not the racist way) and he's nothing more than a human flashlight. When Orcs are attacking, they waited until they surrounded their entire army before finally attacking. And the whole reunion thing was kinda stupid. And the Gondor palace was at the top of a cliff with no handrails or anything. When Aragorn was getting crowned, it looked like somebody was going to fall off. However, all the temptation elements, and neglected second son elements along with the after-waiting-for-the-enemy-to-form-up-action completely make up for it. Expand
  95. Aug 30, 2010
    I personally don't understand how someone could NOT give this movie 10/10. It's one of the very few movies that's both touchingly beautiful and downright disturbing. I don't really care about the length of movies to be perfectly honest, therefore the length of this movie doesn't bother me. And really, how many of us die-hard fans didn't shed a tear when Gandalf tells the Hobbits "I will not say 'do not weep,' for not all tears are evil." In fact, I was basically in tears from the point where all of the Humans were about to fight at the Black Gate. This movie is absolutely a perfect movie, and in my opinion it is THE best movie ever made. Expand
  96. Aug 29, 2010
    Who in their right mind would give this anything but a 10/10. Possibly one of the best films ever released, better than part 1 about the same as part 2. With some of the most epic battle scenes and strongest storytelling this one will be a classic for generations.
  97. Aug 21, 2010
    My favorite movie of all time, perhaps the greatest movie of all-time, and definitely the greatest fantasy movie of all time. It seemed like it was a combination of both the elements of the the first to movies plus extra emotion and intensity. This movie movie is the definition of epic.
  98. Aug 14, 2010
    Take one of the best books ever written, give a visionary director a limitless budget and a perfect cast, and you will end up with this movie. I will watch this movie with my grandchildren (after we read the books!)

1. The conclusion of Peter Jackson's masterwork is passionate and literate, detailed and expansive, and it's conceived with a risk-taking flair for old-fashioned movie magic at its most precious.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hunter
    An epic success and a history-making production that finishes with a masterfully entertaining final installment.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    The second installment was better than the first, and this one is best of all. It has spectacular action scenes and imaginary creatures, and it’s by far the most moving chapter. The performances have deepened.