9.0

1. Nov 22, 2012
    This movie is my pick for the best of the series. The acting is better, the action is awesome, and once again it does a great job at creating middle earth and drawing you into the story.
  2. Feb 2, 2014
    Still fresh, The Lord of the Rings series' second installment is almost as good as the first, with slight imperfections that are easily overlooked. Overall, the movie is still a great epic.
  3. Aug 24, 2014
    With just as much thrill and wonder as the Fellowship of the Ring, we find ourselves a bit farther on this remarkable journey. The relentlessly beautiful visuals are perhaps some of the finest cinematography of all-time. Another modern classic.
  4. Mar 26, 2012
    The Two Towers is equally as good as the first but with bigger and better battle sequences. It has even more adeventure and even mixes in some comedy in that makes the movie flow perfectly. The best picture of the year.
  5. Jan 3, 2013
    Thickening upon everything that made its predecessor great, Peter Jackson's second installment of his "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy makes for a wholly immersive and breathtaking narrative piece with continuously developing characters and an always-sensational bundle of set pieces.
  6. Sep 23, 2011
    "The Two Towers" isn't much epic as its powerful prequel, but its still amazes me that Peter Jackson can release such a wonderful movie within a year.
  7. Nov 14, 2012
    While the plot tends to meander, Two Towers is still alive and breathtaking in the moment. Jackson has proved himself to be a master craftsman of the so called 'epic movie.'
  8. Mar 27, 2012
    If you don't love this movie you should go to the doctor because you clearly have something inside of you that prevents you from recognizing the epitome of what is a perfect film.
  9. Jul 9, 2014
    Just marvelous. It is hard for me to separate this one and the first film as it is just as magical and entrancing as its predecessors and while it does struggle from being a middle film, it never shows that struggle. As with the first film, the acting is beyond impressive, the script is great, the cinematography is great, and the action beautifully done. However, first and foremost worthyJust marvelous. It is hard for me to separate this one and the first film as it is just as magical and entrancing as its predecessors and while it does struggle from being a middle film, it never shows that struggle. As with the first film, the acting is beyond impressive, the script is great, the cinematography is great, and the action beautifully done. However, first and foremost worthy of praise is the special effects. How they do what they do is mesmerizing to me. In addition, the characters are completely engrossing and brilliant to watch as they transverse this immaculately designed and imagined world they live in. As with the first film, this film is the definition of an epic and is a stunningly great sequel to what was a great first film. I did not believe the first film could be improved upon (I do think this one is ever so slightly better), but dammit, it was. This one leaves you drooling waiting for the third film and the conclusion to this storyline. Expand
  10. May 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is extremely difficult to review one of your long-time favorites. This is the movie I've seen most times in a movie theater (a total of 6 times I believe), and no matter what I write in this review, it won't be enough to explain my love for this film.

The story is split into two directions, one following Frodo and Sam's journey towards Mordor and their less than shaky relationship with Gollum/Sméagol, whom they manage to get as their guide to Mordor.

Personally, in the books or in the movies, I've never really cared for Frodo's journey; my heart always lay with the Three Hunters (Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli). Nonetheless, as we follow Frodo's desperate struggle to take the One Ring to its doom - while avoiding it falling to the hands of its true Master - we get to meet Faramir, son of Denethor and the brother of Boromir. The first glimpse at Gondor's demise leaves little hope that when the final attack comes, they would survive (but more of that in the next movie...).

Sam's outbursts kind of annoyed me in this film; sure, I get the hate and distrust he feels towards Gollum, whom Frodo is pitying and trying to help. It puts a strain on the relationship between all of them, which in the darkness of Mordor will twist itself into something far worse...

Quite well balanced with the Frodo/Sam scenes we have the primary focus of this film: Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are pursuing the Uruk-hai who took Merry and Pippin in the end of "The Fellowship of the Ring".

As Saruman's deceit deepens, and he prepares to attack Rohan, Merry and Pippin have an important part to play - in their own way - while the Three Hunters are unexpectedly joined by an old friend and move onto Rohan to release its king from Saruman's grasp.

Besides David Wenham as Faramir, we get to see new, wonderful characters: Karl Urban as Éomer, Miranda Otto as Éowyn, Bernard Hill as Théoden... I could go on...

The epic battle of Helm's Deep is grim, dark and it is clear from the beginning that their hopes of winning are not very high. Not even with the addition of Galadhrim to join them (Craig Parker as Haldir returns, and I'm glad to see him, although heartbroken to see him go as well...).

The battle scenes are brutal and thrilling. Legolas and Gimli's contest puts some lightness into it, although it is a grim race.

"The Two Towers" is more action packed than "The Fellowship of the Ring". Perhaps that is why I like it so much better than the first movie.

If one has to complain about something, it is the rather random scenes with Arwen. Sure, we should not forget her, and they sort of fit in, but also disrupt the balance of certain scenes. Not to mention the scene with Galadriel and Elrond; by that time the union of the two towers had been gone over at least twice by several others, and it felt like a stale repeat of what is going on - only with a slight twist. It is unlikely anyone watching the movie and paying attention would have forgotten who exactly is working with whom.

This is an epic movie, though. Beautiful scenery, amazing score, incredible details... It all creates a world much like our own, and at the same time, nothing like ours.

And again, if you can get your hands on the extended version - hold onto that.
  11. Oct 30, 2010
    the best in the trilogy and the awesomeness in the franchise.
  12. May 26, 2012
    With mind-blowing performances from the whole entire cast, along with skilled dialogue. Featuring its amazing visual effects, breathtaking action, and being even more emotionally resonant than the first. I give this movie 98%.
  13. Oct 2, 2013
    The battle for Middle Earth continues in this epic and vastly rich in detail sequel to the Fellowship of the Ring, the Two Towers is often regarded as the best of the three, its name deriving from the tower in Mordor where the flaming eye of Sauron sits, and the tower of Isengard, where the corrupted Saruman build his army. It introduces new characters while still maintaining heavy focusThe battle for Middle Earth continues in this epic and vastly rich in detail sequel to the Fellowship of the Ring, the Two Towers is often regarded as the best of the three, its name deriving from the tower in Mordor where the flaming eye of Sauron sits, and the tower of Isengard, where the corrupted Saruman build his army. It introduces new characters while still maintaining heavy focus on the ones we grew to admire from the first part, the stories intertwine yet happen worlds apart, Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin) have gone it alone to the fires of Mount Doom in the hope of destroying the ring of power, but they are my no means alone, as the shady creature known as Gollum (Andy Serkis) is on their every move, but he may soon prove his worth as the two hobbits seem to be going round in circles. Frodo is beginning to show signs of the ring overpowering him by now, he's grouchy, angry and taking it out on Sam. But another battle continues to rage as the evil Saruman (Christopher Lee) continues to raise an unbeatable army in the name of Sauron and the ring, an army that seeks domination of the lands, Rohan being the centre of it, Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and Gimli (John Rys-Davies) are in search of Merry (Dominic Monaghan) and Pippin (Billy Boyd) who have been taken by the dangerous breed of Uruk-hai believing them to be Frodo.
    But there is more to it all that just needs to be watched, we have a reborn Gandalf (Ian McKellan) who helps steer the masses in the right direction, as each city must stand up and rise against the armies. We make way for one of the most memorable battle sequences in cinema history, the battle of Helms Deep, thousands of soldiers and even more orcs line the land to fight, it's raining, it's wonderful to watch and it's action packed, to the fullest. Wonderful to watch couldn't be used enough in this review, because the Two Towers is exciting from start to finish, whether its the epic battles, talking trees, continuing character-driven stories or vast landscapes of beauty, it takes everything from the first and doubles it, Aragorn seems to take centre stage in the film, as the Hobbits take a back seat for a while, the two hobbits on the way to Mordor are really just walking for most of the film, but Wood and Astin excellently play beaten travellers as we begin to realise the sway such a small object can hold, but Aragorn is the heir to the white city of Gondor, he therefore must salvage all the remaining hope in men, and deal with the many obstacles that stand in his path, but not without a few secrets to be revealed first, although he longs after Arwen (Liv Tyler), another woman, Eowyn (Miranda Otto) takes an interest in his peculiar being. Like before, it's the phenomenal acting and intriguing characters these actors portray that really bring the film to life, it's visually impressive as ever, yet these larger than life heroes are likeable, easy to root for and give a sense of happiness and despair rolled into one, we have love, loss, hatred and frightening elements of the supernatural to enjoy. McKellan's Gandalf speaks heavily in riddle, and the more I watch this trilogy the more I think he knew along what was going to happen, the reason for his participation was a bored pensioner with not long left until retirement. The element that drives Lord of the Rings head and shoulders above others is its own time and its own original world, everything about it breathes magic and fantasy, the Two Towers capitalises on success but doesn't settle to be just as good, it aims higher and opens up to a host of new characters and story lines that set up a massive and historic final chapter.
  14. Jan 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall Two Towers is a great film. The characters are more developed and likeable. The presence of the awesome character Gollum adds even more interest. Frodo is still a weak character though. Plus, the movie is still gritty but there is some comedy to lighten things up. The story is more complex a little too much at times but it feels necessary. The film does drag at parts but it sets up some amazing battle scenes. The scenes that Jackson gets right he really gets right. There is some great moments in this film like the last one. While Two Towers still has some of the same problems as Fellowship, the characters and story are much better and the stuff that is good is really good creating a movie that is stronger than its predecessor and makes me excited for Return of the King, which some consider to be the best in the series. Expand
  15. Dec 6, 2013
    "LOTR: The Two Towers" is absolutely magnificent. It's more action-packed than the first and they're some of the greatest battle scenes ever. It's emotionally powerful and the story is brilliantly paced and even tops the first one. The extended edition's runtime, at 235 minutes, is absolutely tremendously exciting.
  16. Mar 11, 2015
    I wish every movie were like this. Epic storytelling operating on the level of mythology with the spectacle and tone of a Wagnerian opera. If only I could erase my memory of these films and watch them for the first time with every viewing, I would probably stop watching all other movies!
  17. Dec 5, 2011
    It was ok. While the CGI parts are pretty terrible and painfully obvious, The action more then makes up for it and the epic battle at the end delivers an amazing climax to the film. I agree with another reviewer that said you know its a good trilogy when the worst film in it still gets a high score.
  18. Apr 23, 2015
    Of the three pieces of the Middle Earth puzzle, The Two Towers is the one with the biggest handicap. It is afflicted with the "middle chapter syndrome" - an inherent obstacle for the second episode of any trilogy. The Two Towers has no real beginning or end. (This is as true of the book as it is of the movie.) It takes situations and characters introduced in The Fellowship of the Ring andOf the three pieces of the Middle Earth puzzle, The Two Towers is the one with the biggest handicap. It is afflicted with the "middle chapter syndrome" - an inherent obstacle for the second episode of any trilogy. The Two Towers has no real beginning or end. (This is as true of the book as it is of the movie.) It takes situations and characters introduced in The Fellowship of the Ring and prepares them for The Return of the King. The trick is to immerse audiences "in the moment" and keep them from looking ahead - a daunting task, to be sure, but one that Jackson is up to.

In nearly every way that counts, The Two Towers is The Fellowship of the Ring's equal. In terms of tone, pacing, character development, plot advancement, and visual splendor, there is no drop-off. More importantly, the continuity is seamless (one advantage of filming the trilogy as a single project), allowing a viewer familiar with the first movie to flow effortlessly into the second. Of course, therein lies a drawback, as well. The Two Towers cannot stand on its own. Familiarity with The Fellowship of the Ring is not just advisable, it is mandatory. Anyone attempting to watch The Two Towers without having seen (or read) the first installment is headed for confusion and disillusionment.

Stodgy Tolkien purists who disliked some of the changes Jackson made to The Fellowship of the Ring may be outraged by what he and his screenwriters have done here. The Two Towers differs much more from its written inspiration than the first movie. Yet, in tone and spirit, this remains very much Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, although altered in a manner that makes it more of a living, breathing cinematic endeavor rather than a point-by-point regurgitation (like the Harry Potter films). The movie version of The Two Towers also ends before the book does. Certain events that occur late in the novel will be incorporated into the beginning of the film adaptation of The Return of the King.

The stunning climax of The Two Towers is the battle of Helm's Deep - a 30-minute spectacle that features the siege of a seemingly impregnable stone fortress by an army of 10,000 creatures of Sauruman (Christopher Lee). Inside that fortress is a small force of several hundred humans and elves, led by Aragorn, Theoden, Legolas, and Gimli. Although the attack occupies only a dozen pages of Tolkien's novel, Jackson has transformed it into the centerpiece of the film - an amazing, heart-stopping battle against impossible odds. And, while a huge special effects contribution is needed to make the battle such an awesome feast for the eyes, Jackson never lets the CGI work overwhelm the human element of what's going on, and there are plenty of scenes in which costumes, set design, and makeup enflame our imaginations, not computer work.

Jackson has added dashes of mirth and romance to the film - two elements in short supply in the novel. Most of the humor, which is decidedly low-key, involves Gimli, who occasionally seems to be around as much for comic relief as anything else. For example, in the middle of the battle of Helm's Deep, he is infuriated that his number of kills can't keep pace with Legolas'. On the romantic front, Aragorn, who is promised to the elven princess Arwen (Liv Tyler), finds himself the object of attention for Theoden's niece, Eowyn (Miranda Otto). This sets up a triangle.

The Two Towers starts out a little slowly, but the rousing second half, which gathers momentum like a boulder racing downhill, will leave audiences craving more when the end credits roll. Combined, The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers represent one of the most engrossing and engaging six-hour segments of cinema I have ever enjoyed. If the final third of the puzzle is the equal of the first two, this will go down as one of the crowning achievements of cinema. Like its predecessor, The Two Towers is a great motion picture, and not to be missed by anyone who appreciates fantasy adventure.
  19. Mar 29, 2011
    When compared to the previous movie, it was same old, same old for some stuff. Enjoyable, but too long. Plot became a bit more complicated, but battle scenes became much more awsome.
  20. Jul 30, 2014
    Most times, second films struggle with reaching their predecessor's magnitude, and most times fail. "The Two Towers", however, feels like a natural continuation of "The Fellowship of the Ring", matching its storytelling strength and its visual excellence. The only thing missing from Jackson's triumph is the fact that its most characters are not as well developed as its sky-high film-makingMost times, second films struggle with reaching their predecessor's magnitude, and most times fail. "The Two Towers", however, feels like a natural continuation of "The Fellowship of the Ring", matching its storytelling strength and its visual excellence. The only thing missing from Jackson's triumph is the fact that its most characters are not as well developed as its sky-high film-making standards demand. Expand
  21. Dec 4, 2013
    This is where the story gets interesting. While Frodo and Sam continue on their separate journey to destroy the ring, Aragorn and the rest are caught in the battle to defend Rohan against Saruman's orcs. They choose to stay and help them. In other places we are introduced to talking trees called Ents.

The first two hours has more travelling as the characters struggle to reach places they need to be, often confronted by orcs or other men, and even the land itself. The people and culture of Rohan are introduced. Some new characters are introduced, the most interesting among them Eowyn, her brother Eomer, and Faramir. They are woven into the main story seamlessly. In fact I would have loved to watch Eowyn given a bigger role, seeing that there are no female major characters in the story.

This is also the instalment where we get the full dosage of the creature called Gollum. As interesting as he is when interacting with other characters in his queer manner, he is more intriguing in his monologues where he converses with himself, in a split-personality, between his two identities of his former somewhat sane self Smeagol and the villain Gollum. Andy Serkis is one hell of an actor. All his movements and expressions bring to life a character unprecedented in the history of cinema. The CGI used to create him does an incredible job in making him seem like a real creature roaming around the human-like characters, and it makes for a fun yet a piteous sight.

Gandalf comes back stronger than ever. He was my favourite character from the first movie, but is outshined this time around by Aragorn, against whom everyone is a minion in stage presence. The latter becomes quite a legend in the extended version when a bit of his past is discussed.

The main battle sequences are much more satisfying as Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli take a leading part in the fighting. Rohan defends itself by sheltering inside their fortress, Helm's Deep, while the orcs lay siege and charge repeatedly. All the rest shall have to be seen to evoke the full emotional impact. In the tradition of most epic films, Saruman the second-in-command is the main villain for this instalment. Sauron is the one behind pulling the strings.

People who may have had problems with Fellowship regarding the character development of characters such as Legolas and Gimli need not worry, because while they only come onscreen after an hour and a half in Fellowship (there was a lot of other stuff going on with the Hobbits, Gandalf, Aragorn and the Ringwraithes for us to even begin to think about anything else), they were there from the start in The Two Towers. They have larger roles and kill more orcs.

Despite everything, this movie felt as a continuation of an on-going tale and set up the next instalment when it ended. I would have held it against it if Peter Jackson hadn't done such a wonderful job bringing such magic to his version of Middle Earth. I believe that with minor tweaks, if it hadn't been the requirement of the story and this movie had been separate from the trilogy, it would be hailed as among the finest pieces of cinema in the genre of fantasy. But when discussing the greatest movies, I believe a film should qualify on its own merits. I must hold it in comparison against a great film from another franchise, The Empire Strikes Back (though it cost The Return of the Jedi in story), and come to the conclusion that it just missed the mark of greatness. Having said that, there were some sequences that were more memorable that any in the other instalments. One of course is the defence of Helm's Deep, for its ingenuity in the field of battle and tactics in general; the other are the scenes with the Gollum, who had a longer screen time than he had in The Return of the King.

It was well acted all around. The cinematography was up to the highest standards held by Jackson. The special effects as always couldn't have been better without ruining the effect and look. The score sounded better than ever.

This had to be the lesser of the three films, because as most trilogies go, the middle instalment is more often than not a chance to develop the characters and introduce new conflicts, and cannot function independently as the first instalment can, which is why the latter are often more liked than the sequels. In one regard in which it did a better job than the first movie, is it gave the orcs some semblance of dialogue, so while the illusion of their just being war-mongering brutes is not shattered completely, it still presented them as beings capable of thought and some reason.

I had a lower regard for The Two Towers, which was a disappointment to a certain degree, until I watched the extended edition which includes some light hearted moments and develops some secondary characters like Eowyn and Faramir significantly. This, among other things, turned my score from a generous 9 into a well-deserved 10; and tilted my preference in favour of The Two Towers over The Return.
  22. Sep 24, 2012
    Having recently read the book I did find that this departed from J.R.R.Tolkien
  23. Dec 9, 2014
    This is a spectacular film.

This is a spectacular film.

Just as The Fellowship of the Ring: the opening scene is just as cool and deep as it is stunning. It's also an exiting and very well made film, and combined with awesome music from Howard Shore, couldn’t the film be better. The action in this movie is incredible to watch, and the story is spectacular! There are nothing negative with this movie except the vague CGI, but the reason why I didn’t give this film a 10 is that I want more, especially action!

This is both a stunning, massive and deep movie.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers gets a 9/10.
  24. Apr 14, 2013
    I really did like this movie and the 3 hour runtime wasn't a big problem in this one because it kept you entertained the whole time. The absolute best part about The Two Towers is the special effects and the combat sequences. I was obsessed with this series for quite a while because it naturally draws people to it that like movies that are about adventures and trust me, it's quite an adventure.
  25. Dec 8, 2013
    Great follow up. Like most people are saying this one is more action packed. But that makes it slightly worse than the first one, which had more heart and introduced us to this magical world. Battles get too long at times. Overall it´s very good. We get to really discover Gollum (one of the biggest stars of the show obviously) and Frodo and Sam´s scenes keep being great and heart warming.Great follow up. Like most people are saying this one is more action packed. But that makes it slightly worse than the first one, which had more heart and introduced us to this magical world. Battles get too long at times. Overall it´s very good. We get to really discover Gollum (one of the biggest stars of the show obviously) and Frodo and Sam´s scenes keep being great and heart warming. One of the battle scenes is truly epic and beautiful. Still, the last chapter is the best. Expand
  26. Dec 10, 2012
    This somehow did not work for me. If this was supposed to be serious, it was verging on the ridiculous. I could excuse the first one for a little low-brow humour considering it didn
  27. Jul 22, 2013
    de la charla salio la accion demostrando ademas los excelentes paisajes y originalidad medieval de algo que se aprovecho al maximo, gracios al gran trabajo de estas personas en este film.
  28. Dec 9, 2011
    "The Two Towers" continues following all the greatness provided by the first film. Gollum's animation character and the Battle of Helm's Deep will not only be remembered for years but will be remembered through the ages.
  29. Oct 18, 2014
    In the second chapter in J.R.R Tolkien's epic trilogy, the Fellowship faces unimaginable armies and deception while also witnessing ancient wonders and the untapped strength of their people.
  30. Aug 31, 2013
    The second chapter of the trilogy is better than the first one but worse than the third one. The action is more this time and it's not as boring as the first chapter.

God forbid this should ever play on an IMAX screen -- the concussive soundtrack and relentless visuals would likely strike viewers deaf and blind (but what a way to go!). Simply breathtaking.
  2. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    The miracle is that 'The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is better: tighter, smarter, funnier.
    A rousing adventure, a skillful marriage of special effects and computer animation, and it contains sequences of breathtaking beauty. It also gives us, in a character named the Gollum, one of the most engaging and convincing CGI creatures I've seen.