Universal Pictures | Release Date: May 23, 1997
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 257 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SeriosityJan 5, 2013
Still thrilling. While it is definitely scarier and has the same and more realistic-looking dinosaurs, it is not nearly as magical as the first and a lot sillier.
BradySmithMay 1, 2015
A more than passable and entertaining action movie. It's not quite as good as the first but it does still have some memorable moments and a sense of adventure to it. I like the cast a lot, even if there's not much time for moments carryingA more than passable and entertaining action movie. It's not quite as good as the first but it does still have some memorable moments and a sense of adventure to it. I like the cast a lot, even if there's not much time for moments carrying any great depth. They still come off as human enough. The plot could have been better though. The ending in San Diego seemed a little desperate, and not much that happens, aside from the pushed off the cliff scene, is all that surprising. But for a sequel it still moves along swiftly and entertainingly enough so I'm giving it a pass. Expand
grimsfieldJun 13, 2015
After the first movie, this is definitely my second favorite Jurassic Park movie. Jeff Goldblum makes this flick and having julianne moore too certainly helps.
JurassicJoeFeb 9, 2015
When I watched my favourite film of all time, Jurassic Park, I was amazed and bewildered that a film could be so perfect and the sequel was just as good, from the plot, characters and of course...the star attraction, the dinosaurs!
MrMovieBuffJul 18, 2015
A little underrated...I don't think it's as bad as most critics say it is, but it isn't quite the breath of fresh air that the first film was.

Here, Dr Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) goes to the "Lost World" in order to find his girlfriend, Sarah (Julianne Moore), but end up in more incidents as there are more dinosaurs who continue to eat people.

'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' still offers plenty of thrills and suspense that we've seen in the first film. Spielberg, of course, doesn't chicken out on the violence either, there are many scenes where we see characters trying to run from the dinosaurs and are eaten or stamped on with blood spilling from time to time...is this a "family movie"? The film even opens up with a little girl who we assume gets eaten by little dinosaurs known as compies. This scene can be intense for young kids, I'm sure.

All in all, I think this is a good blockbuster, you still get dinosaurs that look as real as real can be, you still get that added suspense and you still get the fast-paced thrills. The only major flaw would be the bloated run-time, the film does drag from time to time and too many characters get attacked, more so than in the first film, which can make the dinosaur attacks seem a little, "been there, done that".

I give it a 7/10.
JoyceC.Oct 6, 2007
I don't believe in evolution, adaption is my understanding of that, and the adaption of the dinosaurs within the islands is fascinating. A mistake-full experiment turns into a deadly situation, which would appear to happen the same way I don't believe in evolution, adaption is my understanding of that, and the adaption of the dinosaurs within the islands is fascinating. A mistake-full experiment turns into a deadly situation, which would appear to happen the same way for real. It isn't impossible, nothing is impossible. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
NickV.Jul 1, 2008
It has great action scenes from beginning to the end.I like the scene in which ludlow goes to retrieve his infant out of the cargo hold and then says wait to run past the adult rex.
LaurenSJan 20, 2009
I am a fan of Steven Spielberg movies, even movies he produces, but The lost world, Spielberg what exactly happened? It was good, but please, if its not better than the originial, PLEASE DON'T RELEASE it. Although it was generally good, I am a fan of Steven Spielberg movies, even movies he produces, but The lost world, Spielberg what exactly happened? It was good, but please, if its not better than the originial, PLEASE DON'T RELEASE it. Although it was generally good, with some minor flaws here and there. But good overall. Expand
SamOct 17, 2005
Truth be told, no matter how large my love is for the fantastic first one, no matter how bad-ass the dinasaurs are, no matter ho gorgeous the effects are, no matter how great the acting is, the sequel improves on it, in every single way.
MulroneycakesaurusRexJan 26, 2006
"It's dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. But it has DINOSAURS, and that's the bottom line." Amen to that. It's a lot better than most sequels for being directed by Steven - but that still boggles my mind: why on earth is "It's dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. But it has DINOSAURS, and that's the bottom line." Amen to that. It's a lot better than most sequels for being directed by Steven - but that still boggles my mind: why on earth is Steven directing a studio sequel to Jurassic Park? He's Steven Freaking Spielberg, he has better things to do! Give it to Frank Marshall or something. Expand
JaredC.Aug 4, 2007
Not as much as the first, but Seven Spielberg still does knows the magic of Jurassic Park. And its actually a lot funner than the first.
BeercanJan 12, 2005
[Anonymous]Jun 13, 2005
Drags a little here and there, and a bit predictable. Nice action, though. The San Diego scene is nice, dumb, and entertaining.
GregA.Apr 18, 2007
This is my favorite movie about dinosaurs along with the first Jurassic Park. I saw this when I was a kid, and I loved it. Sure it lacks the awe of the first movie, but like the novel, this movie is more action themed. The action scenes This is my favorite movie about dinosaurs along with the first Jurassic Park. I saw this when I was a kid, and I loved it. Sure it lacks the awe of the first movie, but like the novel, this movie is more action themed. The action scenes themselves are very well done. My favorites are the trailer scene, and the raptor attack. Even the rampage scene in San Diego is fun to watch. The musical score for this film really fits with the whole feel of the movie. Aside from the big differences from the novel, I see no reason to complain about this film. If it's watched on its own, this movie is a very enjoyable action flick, and one of the most exciting dinosaur movies (Overall, I still think the first Jurassic Park is the greatest dinosaur movie of all time). As for the dinosaurs, this is the best in the series. It has T-rexes, Raptors, and even plant eating dinosaurs attacking the people. The other two movies don't have the herbivores attack the people (The third movie only has one scene with herbivores!). Not to mention that the special effects in this movie are the best in the series. If you like action and LOVE DINOSAURS, you will enjoy this movie. Expand
TonydannieDec 29, 2005
Just Like Temple Of Doom Surpasses Raiders (Yes, I said It) Lost World Jurassic Park Surpasses The Original IN every way. Much Darker, Lots of action. And Darker Score. Fun, Fun, Fun!!
GustavoH.R.Jan 15, 2006
Plot holes and uninspired performances aside, this is a very enjoyable adventure flick. Darker than the original, but not necessarily better or more spellbinding.
ManicMorrisAug 21, 2010
Not as good as the first one but does offer more dinosaurs, more action and some truly great moments. Still a brilliant film, but a few parts lessen the experience...
gm101Oct 7, 2010
This and the original are some of my favorite movies ever! It truly is much better than some sequels. In fact, for Spielberg, I liked this more than the Indiana Jones sequels.
MovieLonely94Oct 20, 2010
it wasn't as good as the original which kicked major a**, but to be fair, its a perfect sequel and I don't think its the worst movie ever made.

Rating: 7/10
TheQuietGamerMar 26, 2011
While it's no where near as good as the first it is still a good movie, the story is interesting but it would have been nice if they added more dinosaurs, if you like dinosaurs and the first movie you'll like this.
csw12Sep 2, 2012
A very good movie but most certainly not on the same level as the first Jurassic Park. The movie didn't carry that shock and awe factor but the action and visuals were high quality.
Trev29Jun 24, 2013
Good quality entertainment. Could have been more original but it is fun watching dinosaurs destroy things and eat people. It filled with thrilling moments of great scope and size.
MonsieurEamesJul 13, 2012
It's nowhere near as good as the original, but The Lost World recaptures the same thrills and realistic-looking dinosaurs as the first one did. The one drawback is that the characters aren't very interesting.
HazzaGallaOct 5, 2015
The Lost World deserves no where near the amount of hate some people and critics give this film. In essence, while not as awe inspiring and classic as the first movie, the darker tone, increased action, clever script and truly impressiveThe Lost World deserves no where near the amount of hate some people and critics give this film. In essence, while not as awe inspiring and classic as the first movie, the darker tone, increased action, clever script and truly impressive animatronic work provide a incredibly enjoyable sequel and one that is surprisingly underrated. Expand
Rox22Apr 21, 2015
I do feel this movie got slammed way too hard by critics. It obviously isn't anywhere near as good as the first movie, BUT, it is still very entertaining.

I will say that what they lost in writing, they made up in effects. Even the CG

I will say that what they lost in writing, they made up in effects. Even the CG holds ( unlike the first movie.) Sure, allot is rehashed from the first film, but it does seem this time they were trying expand on the original ideas. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

While the acting and dialogue are nothing to write home about, it isn't as forced and melodramatic as in the first movie,an arguable improvement.

Overall:
The Lost World may not be the classic that Jurassic Park is, it still is highly entertaining and I enjoyed it.
Tessara_VejganJan 13, 2015
Just rewatched it on BD. Its a good movie just like the previous Jurassic Park. Solid acting, decent story, fun, action packed and good effects for that time.
DibbHansenJul 18, 2013
While not nearly as good as the first film, this film still triumphs in the thrills, scares, visuals, direction, music and acting- just as the first film did. The film is another triumph for Spielberg, even if it is not as good as the first film.
TheApplegnomeJul 11, 2015
A thrilling continuation of one of Spielberg's finest creations to date. It's thrilling and visually stunning, perhaps not as magical as the first but it got much excitement to it!

The greatest aspect is that it's freaking Jurassic Park,

The greatest aspect is that it's freaking Jurassic Park, everybody knows about it. Jeff Goldblum is still in the franchise and the movie would not be the same without him! The Lost World: Jurassic Park is a much more terrifying movie than the original, a bit more horror if you can call dinosaurs that. The opening scene is great and we also have solid actors, much excitement, some unique events that we haven't seen before and of course the same thrilling soundtrack. But we also see shaky cinematography, vague practical effects and CGI here and there, and the plot is sometimes less exciting. The CGI is however great sometimes, but sometimes it's not. There're also some idiotic and silly moments that doesn't fit the movie at all, and if you must compare this with its predecessor; well it's much less magical and entertaining.

This movie is Jurassic Park without the magic and a less entertaining plot. But there're much excitement and unique events to it, and it really is a great movie to watch!

7.3/10
lukechristianscJun 6, 2015
A lot people didn’t like this film because they think this film should not have been made, that’s not true the sequel is actually impressive it’s not better than the first one but it the effects are actually impressive and awesome this sequelA lot people didn’t like this film because they think this film should not have been made, that’s not true the sequel is actually impressive it’s not better than the first one but it the effects are actually impressive and awesome this sequel is the same like first one yes it’s different but the effects are the same which is good. Four years later after the accident at Jurassic Park, the dinosaurs are free John Hammond reveals that there was another island so the dinosaurs breed before it can be transmitted to the Island to Isla Nublar. So he wants Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) to return to the island to check out “Cite B” to capture them to the mainland, Malcolm has to get their before another mercenary team gets there. The two teams confront each other in extreme danger they team up for their own survival in race against time. Director Steven Spielberg returns to direct and Michael Crichton adapts his second book in the series onto the big screen and screenwriter David Koepp returns to write the screenplay. I would not say this is Spielberg’s worst sequel I think it’s his best sequel; Jeff Goldblum once again is popping jokes and is awesome, Julianne Moore was good as Malcolm’s girlfriend and Vince Vaughn was well too. There are kick-butt moments in the film which is awesome there is a fantastic amount of character-development, terrific special effects that Spielberg and his team achieve in the first one and in this one. My favorite seen of all Is when the dinosaur is in the city. I love the film for what it is.
Grade A
HumbertoHROct 4, 2014
It isn't the best movie of Spielberg, it isn't as good as the first one "Jurassic Park" but definitely it is a movie that you have to see, it is awesome the fact of seen de dinosaurs free in the jungle, not in a theme park, if you sawIt isn't the best movie of Spielberg, it isn't as good as the first one "Jurassic Park" but definitely it is a movie that you have to see, it is awesome the fact of seen de dinosaurs free in the jungle, not in a theme park, if you saw Jurassic park, you have to see "The Lost World" Expand
RainwholeOct 21, 2014
Not the cinematic masterpiece that the original was, The Lost World is still a highly entertaining sequel that is pushed forward by a great cast, some great dialogue, impressive action sequences, and only the occasional hip cups.
SythusRATINGSOct 17, 2014
It has been four years since the disaster at Jurassic Park and two groups are in a race against time that will determine the fate of the remote island's prehistoric inhabitants.
heathermJan 30, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I have to admit that this movie is objectively worse than the original Jurassic Park, I think I actually liked it better. It can be frustrating, in that everyone seems to be constantly making the worst decisions possible, but it leads to some pretty spectacular action scenes (even if they are only loosely held together by the plot). There are so many great deaths in this movie, since we have so many more disposable characters than in the first movie. And of course, the surprise ending where the t-rex gets loose in San Diego is just incredibly epic and over-the-top. The whole movie, really, is just over-the-top in the best, most entertaining way. Also, I loved that there was so much more Jeff Goldblum--my biggest complaint about the original movie was that he got sidelined by an injury so early on, and so I was delighted to see him take the lead in this one. This wasn't a great movie, but it's so much fun. Expand
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
With a darker tone and no shortage of fast-paced action thrills, Spielberg's 1997 follow-up to his original dino-classic manages to be a an underrated gem that is very much worth checking out for action junkies.
teddylukeApr 6, 2015
I know the characters do some stupid things but still I just really like the lost world. and everyone in the world is going to have to deal with it ok.
ReelViewsJun 14, 2015
When Jurassic Park was released in 1993, it set a new standard for state-of-the-art visual and audio effects. It was suddenly possible to see humans and dinosaurs interacting in a way that had never before been possible, and to feel theWhen Jurassic Park was released in 1993, it set a new standard for state-of-the-art visual and audio effects. It was suddenly possible to see humans and dinosaurs interacting in a way that had never before been possible, and to feel the entire theater shake with the approach of a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Four years later, not a whole lot has changed. Effects houses like Industrial Lights and Magic have tackled bigger, more imposing objects such as tornadoes and volcanoes, but it's still basically the same technology that Jurassic Park ushered in. And, because The Lost World doesn't offer anything especially innovative, it seems rather familiar and almost (but not quite) disappointing.

Like its predecessor, The Lost World is basically a big-budget monster movie of the sort that has been popular ever since the dawn of motion pictures. Unfortunately, like many entries into the genre, it falls into expected patterns. As a result, much of this movie seems like a retread of Jurassic Park (with a little King Kong thrown in at the end), not because director Steven Spielberg is intentionally copying himself, but because there's really not much more that he can do with the premise. If there's a third movie in the series, it will probably follow pretty much the same storyline as the first and second installments.

Still, repetitiveness notwithstanding, The Lost World boasts several edge-of-the-seat moments. The dinosaurs aren't nearly as awe-inspiring, but they remain formidable adversaries for a group of plucky, overmatched humans. The standout sequence in this film features two T-Rexs, a lot of rain, spiderweb fissures in glass, and a literal cliffhanger. The ending, which takes place in San Diego rather than on a tropical island (where most of the film transpires), is a little anticlimactic. Next year's Godzilla will hopefully do a more impressive job with the "dinosaur loose in a city" concept.

The differences between Jurassic Park and The Lost World can be summed up relatively simply: more dinosaurs, fewer legitimate thrills. In this case, familiarity doesn't breed contempt, but it results in a movie that's unlikely to keep viewers going back time-after-time the way they did for the original. The Lost World is solid entertainment the first time; it's not something I have any great desire to sit through again.

One could argue that giving Ian a daughter and a girlfriend is an attempt to broaden his character. If so, it really doesn't work. The self-deprecating scientist is likable exclusively because of Jeff Goldblum; even after two films, he's still relatively one-dimensional. The rest of the characters are pretty much interchangeable from their counterparts in Jurassic Park (different names; similar functions). Vanessa Lee Chester is this film's child in danger; Julianne Moore replaces Laura Dern; and Swingers' Vince Vaughn takes over for Sam Neill. Meanwhile, Arliss Howard represents the obligatory nasty corporate villain type.

Perhaps the most disappointing thing about The Lost World is how perfunctory and unimaginative Steven Spielberg's direction often is. In his more than two decades of film making, Spielberg has been responsible for a variety of innovative action/adventure movies -- Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Jurassic Park, to name a few. On this occasion, he seems content to turn things over to the gurus at ILM. The magical spark that characterizes so many Spielberg films is largely absent.

The Lost World ends up being what a British acquaintance of mine calls "a jolly good romp." It is to this year what Independence Day was to last year -- the summer's single "can't miss" motion picture (or so the advertisers would have us believe). It also comes early enough in the season so that we're not already sick to death of this kind of effects-oriented action/adventure. So, although The Lost World has its share of problems, chief of which is the familiarity factor, it still offers a couple hours of glitzy, hi-tech fun. And that's just about all that anyone can reasonably expect from this kind of blockbuster.
luketeddyJun 26, 2015
A lot of people hate this film I do not know why. to me this is a good movie no where near as good as Jurassic park 1 but still pretty good...........
Evyan2002Jan 24, 2016
Jurassic park 2 was a very good sequel to the magnificent Jurassic park. Some people don't like this sequel but I think it is very good. Jeff goldblum was very good too.
FilmMasterEdJan 7, 2016

RickyReviewsJun 23, 2016
Truth be told, The Lost World: Jurassic Park is sometimes considered the worst Jurassic Park film. That is not true. (That is JP3). Jeff Goldblum was fantastic here, as was Julianne Moore. The effects were improved from the original fromTruth be told, The Lost World: Jurassic Park is sometimes considered the worst Jurassic Park film. That is not true. (That is JP3). Jeff Goldblum was fantastic here, as was Julianne Moore. The effects were improved from the original from 1993, and even better than 2001's JP3. The storyline was 100% different from the book, but who cares. This film is one hell of a ride, and you will enjoy it. Trust me. Expand
FilmClubMar 27, 2016
Following up on the highest-grossing film of all time was bound to be a daunting task. The good news about “The Lost World: Jurassic Park” is that the dinosaur creations are even better than those in the first film — credible, breathtakingFollowing up on the highest-grossing film of all time was bound to be a daunting task. The good news about “The Lost World: Jurassic Park” is that the dinosaur creations are even better than those in the first film — credible, breathtaking and frightening. As for the rest, every department pales by comparison. Still, the film provides sufficient visceral thrills and visual delights to engage audiences and rack up bronto grosses. It remains the picture most likely to succeed this summer, even if Universal and Amblin may have to settle for somewhat diminished returns.

The premise is that 80 miles from the original “Jurassic Park,” there was Site B, the island locale where the prehistoric animals were engineered and shipped off to the failed theme park. And as the amusement attraction was being undone by man, the scientific base was destroyed by a hurricane.

Though it was presumed the dinos died for want of a life-giving chemical, they found the element in nature and have been thriving unmonitored ever since. In the words of mastermind John Hammond (Richard Attenborough), “life will find a way.”

The idea now is to send in a small expedition to chronicle the progress. The quartet is composed of documentarian Nick Van Owen (Vince Vaughn), operations specialist Eddie Carr (Richard Schiff), paleontologist Sarah Harding (Julianne Moore) and reluctant returnee Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum). Malcolm agrees only because he recognizes the lurking danger and hopes to get girlfriend Harding off the island as quickly as possible.

The arrival at Site B is a reminder of what made “Jurassic Park” so memorable. The seamless interplay between modern man and extinct creatures is pure magic. But as with the first picture, any sense of serenity is short-lived. First, Malcolm’s daughter, Kelly (Vanessa Lee Chester), is discovered having stowed away on the expedition. A short time later a second, much larger, team descends from the skies for less honorable pursuits. Led by Hammond nephew and corporate chief Peter Ludlow (Arliss Howard), this crew of mercenaries is on a mission to capture a selection of bygone species for display in a new San Diego park.

It doesn’t take long for the tables to turn. Soon, the hunters become the prey and both groups have to join forces and wiles to ensure their return to civilization. Along the way their ranks are seriously depleted by the likes of Velociraptors and Tyrannosaurus Rexes.

David Koepp’s script, from the Michael Crichton novel, is schematic and largely predictable. There’s an obvious threat and not too many ways to quell it. Underneath the technical virtuosity is a standard chase film, and director Steven Spielberg does little to elevate it dramatically. His skill at making the audience jump at the appropriate moment is nonetheless intact, and in the absence of a strong story and well-delineated characters, that’s a mighty important asset.

The cast mostly founders with sketchily written parts. Goldblum, elevated from foil to leading man, is given double duty as hero and comic relief. He simply isn’t provided with the ammunition to anchor the film. Moore and Howard are also saddled with thankless, archetypal roles. Only Vaughn and Pete Postlethwaite — as a big-game hunter with a passion to go toe-to-toe with a T-Rex — rise above the material’s limitations. The most textured performance may indeed come from a matriarchal carnivore who’ll stop at nothing to protect her youngster.

While pic is slickly produced, Janusz Kaminski’s photography seems rather self-consciously arty for the genre. It’s rife with back-lighting to accentuate the eeriness of night and fog. Otherwise, the film moves at a breathless clip that almost makes one forget the thinness of the plot.

Few filmmakers have been able to replicate the success and artistry of an all-time popular hit in a sequel. There’s simply too much baggage and anticipation. What’s surprising about “The Lost World” is an almost slavish duplication of horror conventions of the past, including many from the Spielberg canon.

An unquestionably potent formula, it nonetheless evaporates quickly because of its reliance on manipulation. One gets a queasy feeling, for instance, about making Malcolm’s daughter a mulatto. Is it a sincere statement or demographically inspired?

In the rear-view mirror the picture is calculation at the expense of inspiration. There’s no question that all the right buttons are hit by a master craftsman. Like popcorn, it’s a tasty, fun ride without a great deal of nutritional value.
JPSpinoRex65May 27, 2016
A sequel to one of the greatest films of all time? Yes. A sequel worthy of the name Jurassic Park? Yes. The Lost World: Jurassic Park is a film that took a darker turn than the first film. Send characters to another island, this timeA sequel to one of the greatest films of all time? Yes. A sequel worthy of the name Jurassic Park? Yes. The Lost World: Jurassic Park is a film that took a darker turn than the first film. Send characters to another island, this time without fences? I'm in! Expand
Muskrat147Jul 15, 2016
Though not as original as its predecessor, The Lost World makes up for its loose ends with tense performances, edge of your seat action, and impressive special effects.
s10721314Jul 19, 2016
This Movie is Awesome I Love the San Diego Incident A Tyrannosaurs Rex In San Diego Is Awesome This Film Does Not get nearly the credit it deserves I love The Lost World
MasterRileyAug 8, 2016
The Lost World: Jurassic Park is a fun adventure and a good sequel to the original. While it doesn't quite compare to the original it still has redeeming elements. The action sequences are great, the special effects are phenomenal,The Lost World: Jurassic Park is a fun adventure and a good sequel to the original. While it doesn't quite compare to the original it still has redeeming elements. The action sequences are great, the special effects are phenomenal, Spielberg's direction and use of the camera are great, and the music is great once again. Expand
reviewfrom19842Aug 10, 2016
It has it's flaws but Lost World is an good movie.....................................................................................................
PabloBird22Aug 15, 2016
I don't **** know why some people hate this sequel, it was the coolest jurassic park sequel after Jurassic world, i love how it got nominated by an oscar