7.3

1. DudeRockstar
    Aug 18, 2003
    Too long. Too cliched. Too predictable. Did I mention, "Too long?" There were so many ways the plot could have been resolved. I turned to my wife at one point and said, "Maybe it would be cool if the REAL Luke was on the train at the end and everyone mistook HIM for Peter Appleton." My wife laughed and said, "It would have been funny if Luke's dying dad had said, 'Luke, I'm Too long. Too cliched. Too predictable. Did I mention, "Too long?" There were so many ways the plot could have been resolved. I turned to my wife at one point and said, "Maybe it would be cool if the REAL Luke was on the train at the end and everyone mistook HIM for Peter Appleton." My wife laughed and said, "It would have been funny if Luke's dying dad had said, 'Luke, I'm NOT your father!'" Uh, this movie was just plain misguided. Expand
  2. ChrisH.
    Dec 6, 2002
    All I had to say was, "Dude, can I get my money back??"
  3. LaurenceC.
    Jul 21, 2002
    So bad I could hardly believe it.

It tells a full story with three acts, it introduces characters we get to know and care about, and it has something it passionately wants to say.
  2. Maybe this well-loved Luke is who his neighbors want him to be, a good fellow who, with his father, reopens the old movie house in town -- the Majestic -- thus allowing his neighbors to dream in the dark again.
  3. The Majestic isn't. Rather it's "The Film That Wasn't There," a derivative, self-satisfied fable that couldn't be more treacly and simple-minded if it tried. And it tries, oh, how it tries.