5.7

1. Nov 3, 2012
    An homage to the Kung Fu Theatre movies we watched as kids, but suffers from actually taking itself too seriously. RZA needs to learn more than two facial expressions if he wants to be a professional actor. Action was top notch but a couple of the long fight sequences are actually missing the rap music soundtrack which is supposed to be what sets this movie apart. All in all, makes youAn homage to the Kung Fu Theatre movies we watched as kids, but suffers from actually taking itself too seriously. RZA needs to learn more than two facial expressions if he wants to be a professional actor. Action was top notch but a couple of the long fight sequences are actually missing the rap music soundtrack which is supposed to be what sets this movie apart. All in all, makes you actually miss badly dubbed English over Chinese: here we just get bad English period. Russell Crowe steals the show as a womanizing assassin. Good for some modernized nostalgia if nothing else. Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    I like QT, RZA, Kill Bill Etc... but this movie was HORRIBLE. I literally walked out after wasting an hour... my popcorn was the best part. The movie had a great trailer... fooled again!
  3. May 12, 2013
    It is not a bad movie altough it has to many CGI Effects and the gore elements are to excessively but it still knows how to entertain you.
  4. Dec 31, 2012
    Not a picture to be taken seriously, but Rza has made a pretty good homage to the old Kung Fu films by the Shaw brothers. It's a genre mix-up that works surprisingly well, kung fu with hip hop? Who would have known? Produced by Quentin Tarantino, with a surprisingly robust cast for a film of this type.
  5. Nov 6, 2012
    I like the old school martial arts movies and you can tell that RZA is a huge fan of them. The good are the visuals, the fight scenes and (some of) the music. I was a little perplexed with a "reggaesque" track during one fight sequence...not sure it worked. What's bad are the writing, the acting and did I say writing. There was too much RZA in the movie. Bad move.
  6. Dec 10, 2012
    The action goes from well-choreographed to cluttered and messy, a sign of a first time director. Overall, incredibly uneven. But the one constant is that outstanding soundtrack.
  7. Nov 7, 2012
    I saw this film and was impressed with the imagery, camera angles and most of the limited action. I expected more action and was not impressed with the story line and/or dialogue. I'm proud of RZA but he should have casted someone else in his place. Maybe Michael Jai White. Otherwise I supported this film because I'm a fan of the Wu along with QT!
  8. Nov 27, 2012
    I went to see this because of two(2) misapprehensions. 1. I thought it was written by Quentin. It isn't. Written by RZA. 2. I am a Shaw Brothers fan, have most of their movies on HDD, thought this would be a return to that campy/violent goodness. First 5-7 minutes of the film was exactly that, even had exposed tendons. After that...just f#$5ing BORING.
  9. Feb 11, 2013
    I have occasionally enjoyed this wave of grindhouse pictures, like--"Planet Terror" and "Hobo with a Shotgun." But a lot of them have been disappointments. I'm talking about the boring and overwritten "Death Proof" and the oh-so-irreverent "Machete." "The Man with the Iron Fists"--Wu-Tang Clan member RZA's first shot behind the camera, is an exercise in visual and structural ineptitude.I have occasionally enjoyed this wave of grindhouse pictures, like--"Planet Terror" and "Hobo with a Shotgun." But a lot of them have been disappointments. I'm talking about the boring and overwritten "Death Proof" and the oh-so-irreverent "Machete." "The Man with the Iron Fists"--Wu-Tang Clan member RZA's first shot behind the camera, is an exercise in visual and structural ineptitude. The RZA, starring alongside an obese Russell Crowe, in this rather poor grindhouse homage to old Kung Fu movies, narrates the simplistic story of a black blacksmith (RZA) who must protect his village from a deadly band of assassins. Not even a halfway decent final battle sequence, (if you can make it that far), can compensate the insurmountable problems that makes this so laborious to watch. Truthfully, I wanted to enjoy the movie for what it is--an over-top-bloody, action sequence extravaganza--but couldn't. The movie tries to maintain a edginess throughout---graphic fight scenes, blood spatter, etc. but falls short. Levels of debauchery that are simply unpleasant at times (including a disturbingly obese Russell Crowe ripping anal beads from out a prostitute in a bath tub) for example. The last half of the film takes place inside the brothel, and there is not a single shred of female nudity in the film. The film was entirely filmed in China, and whose original duration exceeded four hours. The RZA suggested dividing the work into two films, however, and not surprisingly, his proposal did not receive any support, thus forced to reduce its length to just over an hour and a half. Therefore, when you remove 145 minutes of a 240 minute film, the first thing that suffers is the story itself. What's left of the story is a mess and no real sense of direction. Characters are in and out of the story line so quickly, the audience doesn't have a chance to be clear on their motivations and alignments.The martial arts sequences consist of a saturation of close-ups cables, and computer generated effects, that denies the viewer the chance to appreciate the exchange of martial techniques. Considering the background and motivations of the director--and his talented cast--such a waste of unused talent is incomprehensible.
    The RZA's directorial debut is not terrible--and yes that's a compliment. For a grindhouse homage it's rather boring at times-- and the scant 95-minute running time seems painfully long. Further evidence that supports the fact that grindhouse trailers are almost always more entertaining than the movies themselves.
  10. Feb 17, 2013
    The Man With The Iron Fists, is just not that good. It's sleek but really gory. The RZA sucks at making movies. Don't let the Queten Tarantino Presents logo fool you. 4/10 because of some cool scenes. Worse than A good day to die hard.
  11. Mar 7, 2013
    For RZA's directorial debut it is well written and executed. The fight scenes were definitely a highlight of this movie. Though the plot could have been better Russell Crowe did a good job and RZA was decent. All in all it's not that bad but people won't watch this movie for the acting. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like Kung Fu movies or mindless action.
  12. Mar 20, 2015
    This movie is for those who want to experience ridiculous fight choreography while still getting everything a martial arts film generally has to offer with a touch of romance. I love my man RZA, and the soundtrack to this movie is bumpin yet awkward in a movie set in ancient China. The story is straightforward as it can be but analyzing this solely as an action flick, it's got what youThis movie is for those who want to experience ridiculous fight choreography while still getting everything a martial arts film generally has to offer with a touch of romance. I love my man RZA, and the soundtrack to this movie is bumpin yet awkward in a movie set in ancient China. The story is straightforward as it can be but analyzing this solely as an action flick, it's got what you crave.

Check out the star-studded cast in this one and just have fun with it because martial arts films are there to bring out the best in stunt acting. Again I love RZA and I can tell he has been highly influenced in his penchant for martial arts films (Wu-Tang Clan...bro) but that amazing factor and the movie to world connection never really seeped in my head.
    Jamie Chung and Lucy Liu are in this and Mr. Russell Crowe has a strange place in this movie but everything sort of falls in to place. Not to mention RZA.
    Overall it's a solid movie and I enjoyed it as an action flick but rewatching this would not be in my best interest.

Word to describe: Rap. It's in there and RZA makes sure you know this is his movie.
    This is a good movie to watch with friends or alone, It really does not matter but try to get those who already are into action flicks. Be warned of gore

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Dec 11, 2012
    It's leaden, boorish and dull.
  2. Reviewed by: Owen Williams
    Dec 3, 2012
    Don't let the 'Quentin Tarantino Presents' tag deceive you, this is a mixed bag of lumpen dialogue and martial-arts magic that never quite coalesces into the delirious mayhem we'd hoped for.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Nov 25, 2012
    Grisly and goofy, this ode to the Shaw Brothers' '70s-era kung fu epics serves up 96 minutes of murder and mutilation and not a lot else. Sweet soundtrack, though.