New Line Cinema | Release Date: July 29, 1994
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 183 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MasterRileyFeb 15, 2017
The Mask is a pretty cool and fun movie. I like the casting of Jim Carrey, along with the other characters and the unique premise the movie provides. If you haven't seen it before I would recommend checking it out.
superbatAug 26, 2016
Jim Carrey was awesome in this movie, and this is no doubt one of the best movies I have ever seen. It has so many memorable scenes, great visual, and the movie is filled with laughs from top to bottom. Cameron Diaz really looked nice in thisJim Carrey was awesome in this movie, and this is no doubt one of the best movies I have ever seen. It has so many memorable scenes, great visual, and the movie is filled with laughs from top to bottom. Cameron Diaz really looked nice in this film, too. I just can"t get enough of it. Expand
kyle20ellisAug 25, 2016
My favourite Jim Carrey movie of all time. The Mask tells the tale of Stanley Ipkiss (Jim Carrey), the typical nice guy who, unfortunately, always finishes last. He then finds a mythical mask and when he puts it on, he is transformed into aMy favourite Jim Carrey movie of all time. The Mask tells the tale of Stanley Ipkiss (Jim Carrey), the typical nice guy who, unfortunately, always finishes last. He then finds a mythical mask and when he puts it on, he is transformed into a love-lorn, confident, zoot-suited, green faced maniac who performs extraordinary feats, all obviously influenced by cartoons. This film is filled with such a number of iconic scenes ("The Mask and Tina dancing in Club Congo Bongo", "The Mask and the cops having a full out dancing session") and is packed to the brim with briilliant references and gags. The truly best jokes occur when Jim Carrey is The Mask. The film isn't just full of comedy or of cartoon gags, theres also character progression, as the more Stanley is the Mask persona, the more confident he becomes when he's himself, especially when he stands up to his spoilt heir of a boss. The beginning of when Stanley first realises his power he declares he could do the dreamed thing and be a superhero, but rather does the human thing: he uses the powers to solve his problems. He gets revenge on the rip-off car repairmen by shoving huge car exhaust pipes up their asses, he uses his Mask persona to woo Cameron Diaz (come on men, who of us wouldn't?) and robs a bank (the last one was more of a heat of the moment thing) Stanleys dog, Milo, is definately the best dog I have seen on TV and film. He manages to follow his kidnapped owner to the police station, even helping him to escape, he manages to escape from a cop car when the Detective cannot and even wears the mask at one point to help his owner best the gangsters. By the end of the film, you'll want a dog just like Milo. Detective Kellerman is a great antagonist for Stanley, investigating into the Mask. He's the kind of antagonist who manages to be a serious character and, whilst being serious, manages to make the audience laugh (with the help of dimwitted partner Doyle) The effects really hold up well nowadays, not looking cheap or too computer generated. The Masked Milo looks a tad on the cheap side, but you'll get over it. The Mask is a fun film which takes it's influences from cartoons and is not afraid to show that off. Even if you're not a Jim Carrey fan, you must admit, there's no one more perfect for this role than Jim himself. Truly Sssssmokin' Expand
FuturedirectorMar 20, 2016
Well, here goes a new terrible actor, in a grand new movie, full of fun, action and terrific visual effects to enjoy the whole duration. The Mask should be another classic of all the times.
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
I never thought it could happen. Jim Carrey (star of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective) upstaged -- and not once, but twice! While it's true that The Mask is another vehicle for the rubber-featured modern-day amalgamation of Jerry Lewis and theI never thought it could happen. Jim Carrey (star of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective) upstaged -- and not once, but twice! While it's true that The Mask is another vehicle for the rubber-featured modern-day amalgamation of Jerry Lewis and the Three Stooges, this time around Carrey has some competition, and there are a number of scenes where he ends up playing second fiddle.

The special effects are, for the most part, rather impressive, but they're as frequently guilty of overwhelming the star's performance as complimenting it. Nevertheless, if you think Carrey has an expressive face, wait 'til you see him with the mask on. Eyes pop out and jaws drop -- literally. ILM goes to work with their own version of live-action animation whenever anyone dons the mask. Good costumes and make-up serve only to enhance the computer-generated visuals.

And, even as the audience's attention is arrested by the work of the effects wizards, there's still room for a canine scene-stealer. Milo (whose real name is Max) is the perfect foil for Carrey's goofiness and -- yes -- there are occasions where his animal antics divert the spotlight away from his two-legged co-star.

Carrey, meanwhile, is playing a split role: mild-mannered Stanley Ipkiss and his superhuman alter-ego, the Mask. Stanley is a shy, unassuming man who works in a bank and lives with Milo in a small apartment. One day, following a terrible bout with Murphy's Law, Stanley finds a curious-looking mask floating amidst some debris in a river. Later, at home, when he finally gets around to trying the mask on, Stanley learns that this isn't some archeological curiosity. It has power - the power to transform. From the moment the mask clings to his skin and his face turns green, Stanley's personality undergoes a radical shift. Insecurity is replaced by flamboyance. Physically, there seems to be little that he can't do, from twisting his body into a pretzel to taking a bullet in the chest or forming a tommy gun out of a balloon.

While wearing the mask, Stanley makes a comment about becoming a superhero, but he's really interested in one thing: Tina Carlyle (Cameron Diaz), a voluptuous nightclub singer who works for a local gangster (Peter Greene). Following a bank robbery (to finance his wooing), the Mask discovers that a cop, Lt. Mitch Kellaway (Peter Riegert), is hot on his trail. And it's not that difficult a trail to follow. After all, how many lime-faced bandits are there who move like the Warner Brothers cartoon Tasmanian Devil?

Carrey plays Stanley with surprising restraint, giving his zaniness free reign only when the mask is on. In some ways, it's a Clark Kent/Superman thing. Stanley and the Mask might share the same body, but they're very different. One is a typical nice guy who finishes last. The other is Robin Williams' genie from Aladdin come to life (Carrey provides dozens of whirlwind impersonations).

As a comedy, The Mask is genial, but its recycled plot is far too thin for the film to succeed as either an adventure or a spoof. "Comic book" and "cartoon" are two terms that come to mind for describing this movie. Neither is intended to be pejorative, but each conjures certain apt images.

For me, Ace Ventura was too much concentrated Jim Carrey. In The Mask, the forceful personality is diluted. The star is mostly-subdued except during those off-the-wall bursts of energy that accompany the appearance of the Mask. The film is entertaining enough -- in a light, undemanding sort of way -- but more than the combined efforts of Carrey, ILM, and Max are demanded to camouflage the seams and holes still apparent in this production.
Luna_BlazeJan 28, 2016
How can't you love The Mask it's funny, bit perveted but in a good way, it have amazing songs, awesome special effects despite of it's age and it can cheer me up no matter how bad my day has been I always laugh my ass off when I see it
EpicLadySpongeJan 7, 2016
In order to have a good Mask movie, you must have Jim Carrey and it must not blow hard. Just look at Son of the Mask. Don't trust the users on that movie. Only trust the users on this one.
DanBurritoSep 9, 2015
This is my all-time favourite movie. It's witty, it's fun and contains what is undoubtedly Jim Carrey's best performance. I honestly don't think anyone could do the role better than he could. Overall, a fantastic film for fans of looney tunesThis is my all-time favourite movie. It's witty, it's fun and contains what is undoubtedly Jim Carrey's best performance. I honestly don't think anyone could do the role better than he could. Overall, a fantastic film for fans of looney tunes and Jim Carrey. Expand
YellowKirbySep 9, 2015
This is definitely one of Jim Carrey's best comedies... maybe even movies! The cartoony fight scenes are hilarious, as are all the jokes in this movie. A great way to introduce Cameron Diaz into Hollywood. Would definitely recommend to someone.
ydnar4Aug 10, 2015
The Mask is a Jim Carrey classic. The film is so ridiculous and it really fits the personality that Jim Carrey became known for. I love the visual effects in this movie and they still hold up today even if some of the humour has expired. TheThe Mask is a Jim Carrey classic. The film is so ridiculous and it really fits the personality that Jim Carrey became known for. I love the visual effects in this movie and they still hold up today even if some of the humour has expired. The Mask is one of the films that broke Jim Carrey and co-star Cameron Diaz into the mainstream. Expand
SAVJul 31, 2015
Divertentissima commedia che ha per protagonista il mitico Jim Carrey nei panni di Stanley Ipkiss, un timido bancario bistrattato da tutti che viene in possesso di una misteriosa maschera in grado di trasformarlo in un ironico, sfacciato eDivertentissima commedia che ha per protagonista il mitico Jim Carrey nei panni di Stanley Ipkiss, un timido bancario bistrattato da tutti che viene in possesso di una misteriosa maschera in grado di trasformarlo in un ironico, sfacciato e spassoso personaggio dalla faccia verde dotato di incredibili poteri da cartone animato. Un film ben fatto che diverte grazie all'ironia del personaggio protagonista e che mette in risalto l'interessante questione sulla doppia natura degli esseri umani. Bravissimi nelle loro interpretazioni sia Jim Carrey che la bellissima Cameron Diaz. Expand
Meth-dudeMay 23, 2015
The actors are really good and like always Jim Carrey's overacting is pretty awesome.The scenario is interesting but some of the jokes were not that funny and the movie was far too childish.
CameraBounceGodMar 5, 2015
despite the highly creative fun that goes on i consider this movie a five because it just gets a five....perhaps its just annoying to see carry hit on someone throughout....if your looking for a surprise this is the one for you.
oxanaJan 3, 2015
Jim Carrey... Mask... A dangerous combination, which works like a hurricane! And Milo, our favorite dog... :D Trust him to save the day when all else fails! Perhaps the visual side of the movie isn't all too believable, but then again, IJim Carrey... Mask... A dangerous combination, which works like a hurricane! And Milo, our favorite dog... :D Trust him to save the day when all else fails! Perhaps the visual side of the movie isn't all too believable, but then again, I think that's the point! Fun, hilarious, perhaps on its best when watched for the first time - and then with several years in between. On its own, the movie would suck so bad, but this is The Mask, and all things in the movie are very much "in character", so there should be no whining. Expand
SuperheroMoviesNov 30, 2013
It's utterly ridiculous and has an outrageous script, yet Jim Carrey as the unpredictable and zany masked hero makes the film exciting to watch as he constantly manages to reel out the laughs.
Rox22Sep 29, 2013
For what it was when it came out, it was great.

But, even in the 90s this movie was perhaps a bit too cartoony for its own good and could have used a bit more overall depth. Overall: The mask looks and feels like one long old school
For what it was when it came out, it was great.

Overall:
The mask looks and feels like one long old school slapstick cartoon. It does have a few serious moments that suit the movie very well, but they are few and overshadowed by the comedy.

Still, a fun and entertaining movie, a shame it wasn't more.
survivorfan989May 21, 2013
One of my favourites from the 90's and a Jim Carrey classic! It's not his best but its certainly up there and was a film that really made a name for himself. Concept is a little silly but Carrey makes it work so well with his witty Comedy,One of my favourites from the 90's and a Jim Carrey classic! It's not his best but its certainly up there and was a film that really made a name for himself. Concept is a little silly but Carrey makes it work so well with his witty Comedy, and it had a rather clever storyline. Cameron Diaz also shines in her film debut as Tina, and the two have great chemistry on screen. Overall it's a classic 90's Comedy and one I would be surprised that you haven't already seen! Expand
KPHooksApr 7, 2013
This film, in my opinion, really captures everything that is great about Jim Carrey: from a down-on-his-luck guy to a fun maniac. This is easily one of his best films.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
With Jim Carrey in the titular role, I figured that "The Mask" would have been a riot. Turns out that it's only mildly entertaining. Jim Carrey is the best part of this movie, but that's not really saying much, for it's nowhere near his bestWith Jim Carrey in the titular role, I figured that "The Mask" would have been a riot. Turns out that it's only mildly entertaining. Jim Carrey is the best part of this movie, but that's not really saying much, for it's nowhere near his best role. The comedy is hit or miss at best, and the plot is extremely predictable. However, I did find the visuals to be surprisingly impressive for a early 90's movie. "The Mask" isn't bad it's just. . .decent, and worth seeing. . . .for free. Collapse
njkkNov 16, 2012
What kind of super hero is he? half the movie he spends his time trolling the police/gangsters. Still i found it hilarious when i was a kid. It is a good movie to watch for entertainment value.
TokyochuchuAug 15, 2012
The Mask is a outright children's classic. Grotesque, funny and full of color it's guaranteed to send kids into a Loki fueled frenzy. For adults, The Mask makes for a nostalgic, sporadically funny but ultimately flawed movie. Love that dog, though!
Critic2012May 8, 2012
The Mask is an explosively fun and hilarious film filled with cheesy and comical scenes that you just can't help laughing at. "Tell Scarlet I DO give a damn!"
j30Jan 26, 2012
The Mask is good movie on a small level, it's entertaining, it's relatively funny, and it introduces us to Cameron Diaz. It is certainly not a must-see, great movie, but just simply OK?
grandpajoe6191Nov 12, 2011
"The Mask" is very childesh in a general term despite it's elite CGI. BUT. It's Jim Carrey's half real, half animated acting that saves the movie.
danielb1982Sep 29, 2011
This is without doubt one of Jim Carreys best movies.

Jim performs in the way only he can, I consider this one of my all time favourite movies, and I could watch it over and over and never get bored of it. Cameron Diaz looks incredible in
This is without doubt one of Jim Carreys best movies.

Cameron Diaz looks incredible in this movie, probably the best she's ever looked in her career, she is quite litterally 'Smokin' watch her first scene in the bank, and you'll know what I mean!
MichaelDApr 1, 2011
You know Jim Carrey will always put on a great show. Good but I've seen better I have to admit.
roddersj04Mar 27, 2011
JamesNWAMar 13, 2011
Truly one of Carrey's greatest films. He is amazing and his true comical side shines in this. Him, along with the very attractive Cameron Diaz make this a film you can watch over and over again without it losing it's comic value.
MovieLonely94Oct 26, 2010
now thats what I wanna see since I was a little child back at the early 90s. awesome entertainment, great visuals, and radical comedy.
helenJan 2, 2009
The perfect role for Carrey. I love this film. 'p.a.r.t.Y? BECAUSE I GOTTA!' DAMN.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
JaredB.Nov 26, 2007
I have seen nearly all of Jim Carrey's films and I can tell you that this is one of my all-time favorites. The situations he gets into are absolutely hilarious. Cameron Diaz is incredible in her film debut. I own the DVD, and, everytime I have seen nearly all of Jim Carrey's films and I can tell you that this is one of my all-time favorites. The situations he gets into are absolutely hilarious. Cameron Diaz is incredible in her film debut. I own the DVD, and, everytime I watch it, it makes me long for the days before Carey actually thought he could pull off a dramatic role. Jim, stick to what you're good at... comedy. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful