Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: November 5, 2003
4.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 593 Ratings
Watch Now
HalfwelshmanJul 4, 2012
What really stands out in The Matrix Revolutions? The lavish and complex Zion dock fight, where a small group of human-controlled heavily armed mech suits desperately attempt to defend the last human city from a seemingly endless horde ofWhat really stands out in The Matrix Revolutions? The lavish and complex Zion dock fight, where a small group of human-controlled heavily armed mech suits desperately attempt to defend the last human city from a seemingly endless horde of merciless "squiddy" machine sentinels. That's really about it. The beginning of the film is OK, but the vast majority of it is so annoyingly mediocre, and some moments are so embarrassingly awful that Revolutions makes for a disappointing final chapter in the Wachowski's sci-fi blockbuster trilogy. All the cast's performances underwhelm, apart from Hugo Weaving whose performance as the increasingly power-mad Agent Smith becomes so gloriously camp and over-the-top that it's kind of funny to watch. He also has the only memorable line in the film - once Neo (Keanu Reeves) returns to an apocalyptic, stormy Matrix for his final showdown with his adversary, Smith asks him sardonically "Like what I've done with the place?". This final battle is, disappointingly a bit silly and repetitive, resembling a knockoff fight from Dragonball Z rather than the epic clash of titans the series has been building towards. About the only thing this final, underwhelming set-piece offers apart from intense tedium is some pretty slow-motion water effects. None of the film's characters really develop any further in this film, and most of the cast have very little to do apart from Reeves, who is basically playing Jesus in a big flappy coat. And don't even get me started on the clunky bit of exposition the Wachowskis crowbar in to explain why The Oracle is now played by someone else (Gloria Foster died between the second and third films). The final part of this formidable franchise is incredibly sub-par, and apart from providing the viewer with a couple of good thrills and some form of closure to the story it offers very little except disappointment. Expand
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
Revolutions felt rushed because it's been in production with Reloaded and that isn't a good thing. Maybe release this later in possibly 2005 or later would be better.
Rox22Jan 30, 2013
An improvement on Reloaded at the very least, but it just carries on far too long and has a rather pathetic ending. Honestly, it should have ended after Agent Smith's defeat and left off on an epic note. Unfortunately it goes on trying toAn improvement on Reloaded at the very least, but it just carries on far too long and has a rather pathetic ending. Honestly, it should have ended after Agent Smith's defeat and left off on an epic note. Unfortunately it goes on trying to portray Neo as a new age Messiah with a rather convenient a "all-things-wrapped-up-in-a-neat-bow" expositional ending. Overall: An OK movie with a bit of a let down of an ending. Some grade A fight scenes however. Anyone else think the final battle between Neo & Smith looked like it came straight out of Dragon Ball Z? Expand
DenonL.Nov 21, 2005
The first two movies where much better.
0 of 2 users found this helpful
gm101May 31, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While slightly better than Matrix Reloaded, the movie still had too many of the issues. The ending wasn't satisfying at all, and what was the point of the girl who was with the Oracle? Expand
StevenFAug 21, 2013
Perhaps the best course of action after 'Reloaded' was to sit back and enjoy Revolutions, we knew it wouldn't match the unprecedented heights of the first Matrix film, but that didn't matter, we had enough action and entertaining moments inPerhaps the best course of action after 'Reloaded' was to sit back and enjoy Revolutions, we knew it wouldn't match the unprecedented heights of the first Matrix film, but that didn't matter, we had enough action and entertaining moments in the second to lead us into what should have been an explosive final bow, but sadly it wasn't meant to be, what we were given was an unexplainable, anti-climatical and emotionless mess of a finale, it has a handful of decent scenes, but the plot is irrelevant and simply doesn't make sense, too much time is taken away from pivotal characters, one of the redeeming moments of the film feels rushed and I was certainly left wandering what the point of it all was when the credits began to roll, the franchise has come a long way since Neo first realised his potential, but this is most certainly a case of going too far down the rabbit role, and forgetting where you should go afterwards.
We find Neo (Keanu Reeves) attempting to return to the real world as he is stuck in between, he manages to convince the rest of the do-gooders that he must go to the Machine City (which was a massive disappointment, by the way) where he will end the war, the problem here is that not very many of the main characters take part in the big Zion battle at all, the most prolific being Commander Lock (Harry Lennix) who appeared in 'Reloaded'. Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) is busy speeding towards the city while Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) and Neo are en route to Machine City. But perhaps the biggest letdown is the underuse of Smith (Hugo Weaving), who is mentioned when Neo is speaking to the Oracle (Mary Alice) as an afterthought but yet he is pivotal to the whole thing, yet his existence is still very much questionable as is the whole point of what we are watching, is it even real? Or is this some other Matrix style dream. While the set pieces are as visually marvellous as they have ever been, especially the battle of Zion, the plot uses all the same devices from other films to try and salvage what is left, a broken love story, a kid who plays hero and sunrise finale which was just overblown for the simple point that it didn't make sense and wasn't approached in the right manner, leaving us alienated to care as little for these characters as possible, Neo was interesting in the first two but takes a back seat to speak vaguely in this one and without much input.
Perhaps it may have been better had it not been filmed back to back with 'Reloaded'. While a fluid and continuing style can be maintained, a complex plot with little sense may have been avoided, instead we have got a satisfying ending, but not this time around.
rishab_babjiApr 20, 2013
By far the worst of the futuristic trilogy by the Wachowski Brothers. Matrix Revolutions focuses too much on the special-effects of the movie and in turn, results in a sloppy script, mediocre storyline and a disappointing conclusion to TheBy far the worst of the futuristic trilogy by the Wachowski Brothers. Matrix Revolutions focuses too much on the special-effects of the movie and in turn, results in a sloppy script, mediocre storyline and a disappointing conclusion to The Matrix Trilogy. The atrocious film detaches from the other two movies of the trilogy (The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded) and leaves a bad taste for the viewers, expecting a decent conclusion to a series that could be made into something that will be remembered for the generations for come. Expand
ninja_dolphinMay 12, 2013
A massive letdown, the movie was nothing which made the original such an amazing experience. The final showdown between smith and neo was probably the best part, and it still didn't live up to the originals great fight scenes.
ThatCooperGuyJun 25, 2015
You know what? The first hour of this movie isn't too bad. But then, it gets really really really really really stupid... That's the best way I could describe this movie. Not bad, just really stupid.
S2G047Dec 6, 2013
The rule to enjoy a Matrix movie is to not to ask How? Just enjoy the action and this somehow worked for the first two movies but this time no matter how hard I tried, it was still pain to watch.
REDWOUNov 22, 2014
The Matrix Revolutions made the whole trilogy even worse than it already had been after The Matrix Reloaded. By the end, I felt like I had not watched the movie yet, since it's incredibly pointless.
TheMulroneycakesRevelationsJan 26, 2006
Awwwww nuts. It's all auld ballcocks after all. Lots of minor characters and half-communicated philosophy and stuff you'd understand if you remembered all continuity ever. It's not a bad movie, but it's nothing like what Awwwww nuts. It's all auld ballcocks after all. Lots of minor characters and half-communicated philosophy and stuff you'd understand if you remembered all continuity ever. It's not a bad movie, but it's nothing like what the capper to a trilogy needs to be. I admire its nihilstic stance, and you'll know what I mean when you see the film. I can't help thinking in the end that this would have worked so much better as a comic book series, as it was originally concieved. Comics just allow for more...breadth, I suppose, than movies do. Stick with the first one, that works great on its own, and watch the other two out of curiosity. The really annoying thing is that this makes Reloaded worse by proxy. I gave it 8 for being a solid middle-episode, but a solid middle-episode depends on a good final episode, and it didn't get it. Nuts to everything anyway. Expand
NoelT.Nov 10, 2003
[*** Major SPOILERS***] Only read this is you have already seen Matrix Revolutions. I would like to bring back a trend, if a movie sucks at the end when the credits are rolling, don't just sit there in silence, open your mouth and say, [*** Major SPOILERS***] Only read this is you have already seen Matrix Revolutions. I would like to bring back a trend, if a movie sucks at the end when the credits are rolling, don't just sit there in silence, open your mouth and say, "Boo!" Then everyone who walks past "The Matrix Revolutions" will say, "oh my god they are booing it, that movie must suck!" I should have been hesitant about the quality of the film when I saw a crowd of people dressed as neo walking out of the theater looking at the ground, with faces of dismay. Why did MR suck? One...There was nothing more to tell the audience, expect "the war is over" Since that was the only thing that needed to be told the movie was filled to the brim with filler, so the audience would not feel ripped off. How many times do we need to see the Capt. of the ship Naomi was piloting say something like ?dam woman? or ?how did she do that? Two?Neo was not even in half the movie, it just showed how Zion was getting ready for their final battle. The battle for zion was good perhaps the only part of the movie I liked. Three?Why did Neo have to go blind? Was it to help strengthen his new powers? Nope. He could already see agent smith in his true form in the real world and he could already see the squids in the 2nd movie Four?Trinity takes forever to die, the row of people behind me could not stop laughing about how long this death seen was taking. At first you felt bad for her, then after a while you start to check your watch. Five?What was the point of the Trainman, the only thing we could take out of the train station was that the machines wanted peace just as much as the humans, then he waited around till Trinity showed up. Expand
StarfoxNov 10, 2003
About halfway through "Revolutions," I realized that there is a clear distinction between a "good" movie and one that is purely exciting on a visceral level. Having such low expectations for the film (after the abysmal "Reloaded"), I found About halfway through "Revolutions," I realized that there is a clear distinction between a "good" movie and one that is purely exciting on a visceral level. Having such low expectations for the film (after the abysmal "Reloaded"), I found myself very much enjoying the third entry. It was then that I realized, that the truth was is that it is purely entertaining, but that it really didn't make any sense and has numerous gaps in logic and plot holes. I also realized that somewhere inside of "Reloaded" and "Revolutions" lies a single good film. After this film, it is clear that the second part could be edited down to a mere twenty minutes and tacked on in place of the opening twenty minutes of "Revolutions," which has absolutely no bearing on the rest of the story. The entire Merovingian subplot in both films is superfluous and only serves to add confusion, not important plot elements. And the ending, well, it doesn't make a lot of sense either, since (***SPOILERS***) the purpose has shifted. In the first film the purpose was to free humanity from slavery, but this ending suggests peace between the machines and man, though the machines rely on humans for an energy source. So in the end, the machines won't attack Zion anymore, but what of the millions of people trapped as machine batteries. There can be no peace, unless the goal is no longer to free humanity, but rather to repopulate the charred planet with the inhabitants of Zion. No explanation, I guess. What it comes down to, is the film is a fun ride, exciting to watch but anytime it tries for an intelligent idea or explanation it fails on every level. Which is a shame, because the balance is exactly what the first film established so brilliantly. Expand
BonbonA.Sep 21, 2005
Ehm... No... The first movie was "just" good enough. They didn't have to make another sequel.. Matrix Reloaded was good, but not good enough. N Matrix Revolution make the story even "worse" that you can imagine. The first Matrix was Ehm... No... The first movie was "just" good enough. They didn't have to make another sequel.. Matrix Reloaded was good, but not good enough. N Matrix Revolution make the story even "worse" that you can imagine. The first Matrix was some kind of real n pretty good action movie, well it had some non-real part, but they arrange it in the right way. Too bad, the sequels made it to change into a too-fictional-fantasy-imaginative movie. The storyline progress increadibly dissapointing, even until the ending. Expand
MichaelR.Oct 24, 2007
I was lost in this movie it hardly made any sense at all.There was a lot less action in this movie then the previous two.It was a terrible ending to what should have been one of the greatest trilogy movies of all time.
julian_zizzleAug 29, 2011
Fight scenes were awesome as expected. The action was good, tension was all right but this was a horrible movie to conclude such a movie series. The matrix trilogy really needs an extra 4th movie to end everything.
TAMPjackoonOct 19, 2011
This didn't disappoint me as much as the second one, but was still not nearly as good as the original. It's just not as good, I'd say watching it once would be enough, no more.
MichaelBagamerySep 5, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hmm...not the worst movie ever, but still not great. (Before I do anything else with this review, I have to say the user who complained about the contradiction between the original and the sequels is wrong: the Machines were manipulating the One so that he had to reboot the system periodically to keep it running.) This movie does have its moments--Sati is cute, in particular, and the assault on Zion shows remarkably subdued mindless action--but they're counterbalanced by the mediocre and outright bad. As an example, the scene near the end where Trinity flies above the clouds and sees the sun is simply beautiful--or it would be if the craft hadn't lost power as a consequence and crashed. Not only was it sad for me to see Trinity, my personal favourite character, die, it also struck me as unnecessarily cruel and a devaluation of her character. What happened to how capable she was in the first two films? Also, the final battle between Neo and Smith did take a bit too long to end. But I did actually understand pretty much all of it. Expand
diogomendesAug 23, 2015
Disappointing film, to be honest. The special effects are spectacular as ever and the performances from the main cast remain stable, but the lack of new ideas and a much interesting plot make it more so-so than satisfying.

Final Score: 5/10
MrMovieBuffOct 22, 2016
The anticipated third and final installment, 'The Matrix Revolutions' is a bust... there is no excitement, and the film stands still for a whole nearly two hours to the point where my interest in the plot and the characters ave faded awayThe anticipated third and final installment, 'The Matrix Revolutions' is a bust... there is no excitement, and the film stands still for a whole nearly two hours to the point where my interest in the plot and the characters ave faded away before the third act.

Neo (Keanu Reeves) has awoken from his coma, and starts having visions of the machine world, as in that's his destiny and that's where he must go, assuming it could end the war between man and machine. He ends up stuck in the middle of a train station and cannot find a way out. Meanwhile, Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) and Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) run into the Merovingian (Lambert Wilson) who wants something that they are reluctant to give to him in return for Neo's safety.

After he is rescued, Neo turns to the Oracle (Mary Alice), who informs him that there will be a war, and that the fate of the humans in Zion rests in his hands. He must fight Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) no matter how difficult it might be.

I could go on talking about other characters and what they're doing, but it's just not interesting enough, all you need to know is; Neo finds out something, he must go to it, and the war has to be fought to protect the people of Zion.

Once again, directed by the Wachowskis, the still prove to showcase some innovative and perfectly timed action scenes. But it's hard to get emotionally involved in this emotionally draining movie... your interest will fade because it just paces from scene to scene until we get to the exciting third act. Once all the action is done, it doesn't feel worth it. The pacing is uneven, and the plot just doesn't move fast enough to keep us caught up with the characters and the premise.

'The Matrix Reloaded' (2003) at least had some exciting scenes all the way through... but this installment is bland and pale.
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
About halfway through "Revolutions," I realized that there is a clear distinction between a "good" movie and one that is purely exciting on a visceral level. Having such low expectations for the film (after the abysmal "Reloaded"), I foundAbout halfway through "Revolutions," I realized that there is a clear distinction between a "good" movie and one that is purely exciting on a visceral level. Having such low expectations for the film (after the abysmal "Reloaded"), I found myself very much enjoying the third entry. It was then that I realized, that the truth was is that it is purely entertaining, but that it really didn't make any sense and has numerous gaps in logic and plot holes. I also realized that somewhere inside of "Reloaded" and "Revolutions" lies a single good film. After this film, it is clear that the second part could be edited down to a mere twenty minutes and tacked on in place of the opening twenty minutes of "Revolutions," which has absolutely no bearing on the rest of the story. The entire Merovingian subplot in both films is superfluous and only serves to add confusion, not important plot elements. And the ending, well, it doesn't make a lot of sense either, since (***SPOILERS***) the purpose has shifted. In the first film the purpose was to free humanity from slavery, but this ending suggests peace between the machines and man, though the machines rely on humans for an energy source. So in the end, the machines won't attack Zion anymore, but what of the millions of people trapped as machine batteries. There can be no peace, unless the goal is no longer to free humanity, but rather to repopulate the charred planet with the inhabitants of Zion. No explanation, I guess. What it comes down to, is the film is a fun ride, exciting to watch but anytime it tries for an intelligent idea or explanation it fails on every level. Which is a shame, because the balance is exactly what the first film established so brilliantly. Expand
MasterRileyOct 12, 2016
The Matrix Revolutions falls far below the quality of the original, as well as Reloaded. The movie tries to stuff too much cgi and over the top action in your face rather than focusing on more intimate conflicts with the main characters. IThe Matrix Revolutions falls far below the quality of the original, as well as Reloaded. The movie tries to stuff too much cgi and over the top action in your face rather than focusing on more intimate conflicts with the main characters. I found myself bored when the movie spent too much time on the robots attacking instead of progressing Neo and Trinity's plot line. The characters spend very little time in the actual Matrix itself, which is what I was excited for most. I was waiting for the ultimate showdown between Neo and Smith, but unfortunately the movie is almost over before it happens. Its still a decent movie, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't hold my interest in the same way the original does. Expand
HatersWannaHateOct 3, 2016
It was okay--just okay. The action inside the matrix sucked and went on like Obi-Wan vs Anakin. Jada Pinkett was best part of this movie.

Also, the fate of Trinity and Neo diminished the prior two films. It made me feel like the prior two films were pointless. Honestly, if you haven't seen this film, you are better off just watching the first two and creating your own story for the end.
Cameronius_113Jan 15, 2017
WARNING: Spoilers will be necessary in the main review for me to talk about this movie in the amount of detail I want to. Final verdict will have spoiler-free conclusion
The Matrix Revolutions was released in 2003 and was directed by The
The Matrix Revolutions was released in 2003 and was directed by The Wachowskis. This movie concludes the story arc began in the previous film, Reloaded and the entire trilogy as a whole.
This movie feels like it was a chunk cut out of another film; barely anything happens- resolve the cliffhanger at the end of the previous film, main protagonists split up- some fight robots, others participate in the final fight, the end. This also seems to have a similar story pattern to Return of the Jedi.
Some plot points in the movie seem useless like the bit at the start resolving the cliffhanger of Reloaded. It has no effect on the rest of the story and seems so slapped in and out of place. The new characters introduced in that part are never seen again afterwards and serve no purpose to the story.
Also, many plot points seem rushed: Trinity dies (yes, I did say spoilers) and as she is a major character you would expect it to have more of an effect than what was given; after the scene it never appears to be brought up again.
Some of the action seems off too- the first fight scene between Neo and Smith isn't good. There are loads of flashing lights so you can barely tell what is going on and the camera is really shaky too. Compare it to all of their other fight scenes in the trilogy and you just start to wonder what on earth went wrong there. At least their final fight was alright.
Many people don't like the ending but I personally thought it was fine and probably the best way to end it; Neo's sacrifice seemed fitting and kind of gave him a new reason of being 'The One' for me which I liked.
You can only really watch this movie if you've seen the other two as it is just a conclusion. There also isn't really much point of rewatching it as the point of watching it for me is to just find out the ending and not for the overall experience like the other two.
Overall, this movie isn't that good. If you want to see the conclusion to the Matrix trilogy or that cliffhanger from Reloaded is really bugging you then I'd probably recommend this just to find out what happens and not for the overall experience. However, if you're just wanting to watch any movie at all then this one doesn't have the amount of fun the first two had and I'd probably give it a miss.
5.8/10
JPKMay 13, 2017
Talk about anti-climatic
Talk about anti-climatic
The Matrix Revolutions is a very disappointing movie for many reasons. The first problem lies with the script, The next issue action is kinda boring because there's no memorable fights like the bank scene in the first movie, The Chateau Sword Fight in Reloaded. The last problem is the ending. In conclusion, The Matrix Revolutions is sadly a massively disappointing ending to a pretty good franchise.