8.9

1. Oct 4, 2011
    Yes, the movie has flaws. But who cares? "The Matrix" is a astonishing movie that is for-your-eyes only. The film has top notch (slo-mo was first introduced by this movie) CGI as well as a well rounded plot. It gives you more than you can ask for from a 1990's action film.
  2. MikeN.
    Feb 10, 2004
    You see a lot of reviews at Metacritic complaining about how "overrated" such and such a movie is. Well please allow me to nominate The Matrix as the Most Under-rated Movie here. The Matrix is more intelligent, more stylish, more exciting and better looking than any other movie made in the last twenty years. It is probably the best Science Fiction movie ever made, far better than such You see a lot of reviews at Metacritic complaining about how "overrated" such and such a movie is. Well please allow me to nominate The Matrix as the Most Under-rated Movie here. The Matrix is more intelligent, more stylish, more exciting and better looking than any other movie made in the last twenty years. It is probably the best Science Fiction movie ever made, far better than such pretenders as Blade Runner or Forbidden Planet and challenged in stature only by the beauty and mystery of 2001 and by the pure popcorn entertainment of Star Wars. Expand
  3. SarahK.
    Mar 17, 2003
    I'm suprised at the lack of intelligiance many viewers who gave it bad rating had. For instance, on person thought the idead of alternate worlds was "unimaginative". I'd like to see you think up something like this. "The visual effects were the only good thing about this movie..." First of all, WHY do you think the special effects were there?! To make the movie cooler? NO! They I'm suprised at the lack of intelligiance many viewers who gave it bad rating had. For instance, on person thought the idead of alternate worlds was "unimaginative". I'd like to see you think up something like this. "The visual effects were the only good thing about this movie..." First of all, WHY do you think the special effects were there?! To make the movie cooler? NO! They were apart of the storyline. Did you pay attention to the storyline? I think not. You sound like one of those people who gave the first Lord of the Rings movie a bad rating. As for S.F Chronicle...lately, they've been giving bad ratings to some great movies (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Signs, and much more....), "well-worth-seeing"s to some movies that needed the highest rating (Spirited Away) and giving their best ratings to some movies that weren't something to hop out of your chair about (Tuck Everlasting, The Ring). Never trust S.F. chronicle... "The Matrix" also provided us with some special qualities that other masterpiece sci-fi films had, including: "Akira", "Minority Report", and "Ghost in Shell". It was NOT a copy of these films! It was just added to the list of sci-fi masterpieces! Expand
  4. LeoR.
    Jul 5, 2008
    The greatest action movie of all time, my favorite movie, its so perceptive so mind boggling you will watch it more than once to then fall more in love with the matrix a world without borders or boundaries. I love this movie.
  5. Feb 10, 2012
    The best thing about the Matrix is the fact that it's such a brilliant, brilliant idea. The world you live in is virtual. In reality, you are an energy source in a jelly sac harvested by a race of machines... It makes me think of so many things... and I thought of whether I would take the blue pill or the red pill... you know, I'd probably take the blue pill.
  6. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give matrix a 9.5 out of 10. Visuals are great, and so are the action sequences. They're really epic, plus they're great to watch. Score is great. The story is also very good to. Acting is really good. Everyone does a great job throughout the movie. Overall, The Matrix is a great sic-fi action blockbuster that a great movie to watch. You really should watch this movie.
  7. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    The radical premise, hip cast (Keanu's best performance), kickin soundtrack and provocative philosophy combine to "blow your mind". "Whoa"
  8. NoahS
    Mar 1, 2008
    The Matrix is without a doubt one of the best movies ever made. Period. I will explain though. Most people have an issue with the movie for one of two reasons: the special effects and the plot. First, I'm not a huge martial arts guy, so I'm definitely nowhere close to being an expert on this, but the action scenes were pretty awesome. The combination of slick and fast The Matrix is without a doubt one of the best movies ever made. Period. I will explain though. Most people have an issue with the movie for one of two reasons: the special effects and the plot. First, I'm not a huge martial arts guy, so I'm definitely nowhere close to being an expert on this, but the action scenes were pretty awesome. The combination of slick and fast hand-to-hand with a load of guns thrown in...awesome. The music to the fights completed the experience. The second issue most people have with the Matrix is something I am quite familiar with: the plot. The plot of the Matrix is fantastic. That is because of two things: One, it is a fresh idea. The Matrix's plot is not a clone of anything. And two, the plot is incredibly deep, having multiple levels for every part in it. The agents, Neo being freed, the idea of the Matrix itself, all great. If you don't like sci-fi, then that's fine. You probably won't like this movie. You definitely won't like the sequels. But don't knock them for being "stupid" or "moronic." Because they simply aren't. And on a last note, the acting is exactly suited to this movie. The people in this movie act exactly how their characters should. Keanu Reeves was cast BECAUSE he acts the way he does on camera. It was perfect for the part. Hugo Weaving is SUPPOSED to be dry and humorless. Keep in mind the context of the characters when you judge acting. If you have any complaints, I'll be willing to defend the greatness of this movie. A 10 out of 10. Expand
  9. Jan 12, 2012
    After I have seen The Matrix, I instantly placed it at the #1 spot of the list of my favorite movies. Since then, 13 years has passed, I have seen over a hundred new movies. The Matrix still occupies that top spot. Inception was good, but no where near The Matrix good. If you haven't seen The Matrix series, I pity you, for you have missed the BEST movie ever made, go see it NOW!
  10. Jun 6, 2011
    Groundbreaking synthesis of East meats West, in a brilliant sci-fi mind-scape.

...trippy, cool, and fun ride all around.

Forget the sequels, they suck
  11. Aug 24, 2011
    In my top ten movies of all time. What a shame the sequels sputtered out or this Trilogy could have been the most epic in the history of film making. Could have been our generation's STAR WARS. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.
  12. Jan 7, 2012
    Amazing, definitely a timeless masterpiece. Some of the utmost original storylines of science-fiction genre, introducing a brilliant and new reality that will break with all the standards and blow away your mind. The perfect combination between action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat and reflective dialogues concerning the movie's very deep theme. Additionally, theAmazing, definitely a timeless masterpiece. Some of the utmost original storylines of science-fiction genre, introducing a brilliant and new reality that will break with all the standards and blow away your mind. The perfect combination between action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat and reflective dialogues concerning the movie's very deep theme. Additionally, the technical production is astonishing with very good graphic special effects that form an unbelievably awesome visual appeal. Truly a must-watch production that will not leave you unchanged. Expand
  13. May 25, 2012
    This film is much more than most of people can understand.It just try to open our eyes, we are in the matrix and this world is not what we think it is, and this movie is made by this people for this people, just as James Cameron Avatar that shows to the world the true reality, from whence we came and where we can go.
  14. Feb 7, 2013
    If You Ever had to choose one movie for your unborn child to see. It would definitely be the matrix. FREE YOUR MIND. The perfect illustration of control and power and how it influences everything around you
  15. R.Lopez
    Sep 6, 2009
    When I first saw this movie when I was twelve I didn't think much of it, I thought it had a confusing story and a mindless plot that was supported and only succeeded by out of this world slow motion stunts. Boy was I naive or what!? Now seeing it again after all these years I could see that I was not ready back then to handle a movie of this complexity and strange coherent means of When I first saw this movie when I was twelve I didn't think much of it, I thought it had a confusing story and a mindless plot that was supported and only succeeded by out of this world slow motion stunts. Boy was I naive or what!? Now seeing it again after all these years I could see that I was not ready back then to handle a movie of this complexity and strange coherent means of story telling. But now I fully respect and love this movie for what it is and for what it always will be, mindbogglingly, mind blowing, out of this world fun. When the Matrix was released in 1999 this was the film to go see people were busting out of the theater's and telling anyone they can to go see this movie. It was the "It" movie of the year and it gained the title justly. This film mapped out new territory in action and ushered in a whole new generation of action & Sci-Fi thrillers and video games as well(Max Payne comes to mind) it is one of the biggest and most beloved film of the 90's and has one of the biggest fan base out there. This movie unique and I mean unique story and style has such and impact on you when you first see it you'll want to see it the minute it's over and some more after that and after that and you'll want to see it a million times it's just that good. The Matrix put's a Gothic and dark spin on the dystopia and apocalyptic themes that have become very common in Sci-Fi films, this film does it one better it takes those overly used themes and creates a completely original and unique world around which everything we Believe is a lie. It has a great monolithic tone to it that makes it a masterpiece by any standards and it creates a great aftershock in which few films can actually do these days. It purposes that machines while enslave humanity and use us as a battery source to power there vasts armies of machines around the world. But that's what makes it so great to watch it gives you a sense of hope and a sense of justice that you just feel all the way to your bones. This movie has given the fellow movie goer what they've always wanted and always searched for in a film, great action, a smart story and plot, acting you can live with and put them all together and what do you got? The Matrix! This movie will stick with long after it's over and even after tour old you'll still remember one movie that rocked your world like none other. All in all this film delivers great any day entertainment that is like Laurence Fishburn said, " Unfortunately no one can be told what the Matrix is you have to see it for yourself." And trust me once you do you won't ever look at Sci-Fi or other movies the same way again. This movie delivers. Expand
  16. JaredC.
    Jul 2, 2007
    Awesome action, awesome acting, awesome plot, awesome everything!
  17. ElenaB
    Feb 28, 2008
    It is an epic. Classic. Great philosphy.
  18. AlexS.
    Mar 1, 2001
    Best movie in the WORLD!!
  19. AlecG.
    Apr 2, 2003
    You think the Matrix is stupid? Read Plato. Dive right in to 'Republic'. Then watch the movie again, and I will be astonished if you can still squeeze the words 'Wachowski bros. are morons!' out of your mouth.
  20. TeemuE.
    Sep 9, 2003
    This is a great movie!!!
  21. CameronS.
    Mar 1, 2004
    One of the best films of all time. Great effects, fantastic provoking story and the actings fantastic. Shame about the other two films though.
    May 30, 2004
    "What is the Matrix?" "The Matrix has you..." The movie is addressing the audience at the same time. The dialogue is brilliant. There's a deeper meaning to it. If you still don't understand, watch it again, and again until you grasp it. The Kung Fu scenes were also great.
  23. BitBurn
    Jun 15, 2002
    By far one of the best action movies there is out there! This film carries not only awesome special effects but a storyline that's poignant and powerful. Alleluia!!
  24. GrahamM.
    Feb 15, 2005
    Mr. Anderson...... Go see this movie! The special effects are out of this world, as is the fight choreography, and quite literally, the plotline. This is most definetely my favorite movie of all time. There must be some degree of hell for people who don't like "The Matrix"... lol, jk all of you tastless S.O.B's who didn't like this movie (but I still hope you suffer).
  25. ManveerR.
    Feb 18, 2006
    I thought the matrix was brilliant the god of Sci-Fi.
  26. KevinL
    Dec 27, 2009
    Great movie, a definite heartwarming, classic.
  27. Mike
    Aug 14, 2002
    The only people that I've found that rate this movie less then a 10 are either people that can't stand any violence in movies, or stupid people that just can't follow the story. The movie is pure visual and audio hypnotism, and the story is genius and so well executed that the sequels will have to be perfect to stand a chance of competing with the original.
  28. Sep 2, 2010
    a fun sci fi action flick with fantasic action and effects . the story is pretty entertaining and keeps you interested . the film has a great plot twist that i dont think any one seeing this for the first time will ever see coming . the story feels fresh and original . the acting is abit dry but fits this film and especialy Reeves who i dont think you could get any dryer then his acting .
  29. Feb 9, 2013
    Well, after all these years of gaming communities being inspired by it as well as parodies from other films. I finally watched it. The film is confusing in some ways but it really makes you think. The film is very entertaining and has very impressive CGI for 1999. It's definitely worth watching.
  30. Jan 20, 2011
    THE MATRIX is the best action movie ever made in my list. When Matrix released on its time, thiz movie created many breakthrough on world cinema. Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, who is just recently popular in thiz movie. They just known previously as small budget film Director, BOUND (1996). Later, the movie has two more sequels MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTION in 2003. You canTHE MATRIX is the best action movie ever made in my list. When Matrix released on its time, thiz movie created many breakthrough on world cinema. Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, who is just recently popular in thiz movie. They just known previously as small budget film Director, BOUND (1996). Later, the movie has two more sequels MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTION in 2003. You can almost classify the Stars of thiz movie as B-Class Casts, except Keanu Reeves, but still the outcome is beyond the expectations. Each of the characters like: Neo (Keanu Reeves), Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) , even the villain Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) already become a legendary icon in the industries. One of the fervencies of thiz movie is on the action scene. The fight scene is something new and different, which follows later by other movies. Behind that extraordinary fight scene is well-known Martial Arts Choreographer, Yuen Woo Ping. Woo Ping is the man behind CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON(2000), KILL BILL (2003),THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM (2008), even Jackie Chan classic action SNAKE IN THE EAGLE SHADOW (1978). His experiences in a lot of Asian movies made him effective. The movie definitely exceed beyond our imagination. In fact, many people did not understand entirely the story of THE MATRIX, there are still many blank spot to question about. The Content of the movie fills with great philosophies inside. It seemed to me Wachowski Brothers discovered successfully how to make a brilliant concept from some of religions. The essence is not that simple as appear to be, Actually we will always have something new, every time we watch it.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  31. May 10, 2011
    I feel bad for those morons who think The Matrix sucks. this is a brilliant movie full of epic nonstop action. If you like movie with awsome acting,music, and badass slo-motion fight scenes, etc. then get this, if you aren't... well buy Legend of the Guardians.
  32. Sep 10, 2011
    Despite TRON being my all time, video game related movies of all time, The Matrix is my all time bad ass, cool, computer/hacker movies. I find it hard NOT to love. It has action, martial arts so the 'easily entertained by action' viewers can have something, the 'computer goers' like myself have something to get into and when it's all thrown together it makes the perfect combination ofDespite TRON being my all time, video game related movies of all time, The Matrix is my all time bad ass, cool, computer/hacker movies. I find it hard NOT to love. It has action, martial arts so the 'easily entertained by action' viewers can have something, the 'computer goers' like myself have something to get into and when it's all thrown together it makes the perfect combination of action and story. Expand
  33. Nov 29, 2011
    The best sci-fi movie of its time.
    Excellent original soundtrack
    I still keep the thinking as a reference for some of my work and my everyday life. Loved it.
  34. Oct 19, 2011
    Sure some things aren't perfect, and it can be kind of...meh, but it is still a fantastic movie. The whole concept is very interesting, making you think for a brief moment "what if that's real?" And on top of that, it is funny, dramatic, and has great action scenes. I think it's a great ride of 90's movies.
  35. Nov 20, 2011
    The thought that went into this movies plot is astounding. I can understand how some could be confused and dislike it but ive found the more i watch this film the more i love it. Some minor flaws here and there but overall an amazing film.
  36. Jan 15, 2012
    This movie was a well done action movie. It has some problems with the story line, but the action scenes are undeniably astonishing. This movie introduced the Slow Motion concept to other movie makers, and it has been a hit ever since. I would definitely consider this movie to be a modern classic action film. The movie certainly goes above and beyond the standard 90's movie.
  37. Jan 6, 2012
    Beautifully filmed and written. Best film of all time. The charcters are so real and engaging, the settings are perfect and I couldn't find a single fault if I tried.
  38. Dec 6, 2012
    The Matrix
    Average User Score: 8.7
    10 The Matrix Image The Matrix takes mystery school concepts and philosophies of Gnosticism, Eastern religions, Western Religions and even ideas from the Natural Law movement and blends them together to create a cryptic, symbolic action film. Everything in this movie has occult meaning, but it's up to us, the viewers to figure out what that meaning
    The Matrix
    Average User Score: 8.7
    The Matrix Image
    The Matrix takes mystery school concepts and philosophies of Gnosticism, Eastern religions, Western Religions and even ideas from the Natural Law movement and blends them together to create a cryptic, symbolic action film. Everything in this movie has occult meaning, but it's up to us, the viewers to figure out what that meaning is. This movie is like a puzzle. But this is all done in a very cool, entertaining way with awesome special effects (cutting edge at the time it was released) and great memorable action scenes, some which have greatly influenced the special effects of Hollywood movies produced afterwards. My only complaint about this movie is the way the love of Neo by Trinity is revealed, I mean you have no idea and I remember in the theater myself and everyone around me groaning since the whole love story in action films thing has been done to death and this seemed so cliche. The love between Trinity and Neo is very important to the trinity in the long run but imo it could have been introduced in a much better manner, maybe some flirting scenes leading up to it because you just don't see it coming at all which makes it really unrealistic. But other than that a great, epic movie.

The Matrix (and the entire Matrix Trilogy) is like an onion, it has many layers of meaning, and every-time I watch it I notice something new. Definitely a masterpiece with profound hidden meaning and my favourite movie off all time to this day. 10/10
  39. VincenzoC.
    Jun 24, 2003
    Blew the second flick away.
  40. ChristopherG.
    Aug 4, 2003
    Like the previous Dr. D, this is anexcelent movie, had me laughing the whole way through. It's nice to see a movie once in a while with no extemely vulgar langage in it. What has happened to the movie industry? The only movies we seem to get are full of sex and nasty langage. Is this what THEY think the public wants? I say not. 10 thumbs up for Mr. Murphy.
  41. Johnny
    Mar 5, 2004
    Lance E., I see you have put much thought into that mile-long comment of yours, but whatever you're trying to say, you don't make it clear. There are flaws in this (and every movie), but if you think the script SUCKS, then you gotta think again. Compare this movie to Citizen Kane (according to AFI the best film ever, and often mentioned by critics when they want to name Lance E., I see you have put much thought into that mile-long comment of yours, but whatever you're trying to say, you don't make it clear. There are flaws in this (and every movie), but if you think the script SUCKS, then you gotta think again. Compare this movie to Citizen Kane (according to AFI the best film ever, and often mentioned by critics when they want to name something BIG, extremely thought-provoking, and smartest thing ever) and you'll find how "un-overrated" The Matrix really is. Good heavens, if you think the philosophy, script and practically everything about this movie SUCKS, then you'd hardly like any movie. Now just calm down, and admit that it is the ultra-die-hard-matrix fans that makes you feel this way. I'm pretty sure it is. It's pretty irritating when people whine "you don't understand this movie" when you try to make a point clear, I agree, but the philosophy behind this film IS thought-provoking and superb, the acting isn't supposed to go over the top (this isn't Shakespeare), and frankly, this film mops the floor with 2001: A Space Odyssey (apply everything you've said about The Matrix to THIS movie and you'll have a good point). Expand
  42. RossS.
    Aug 20, 2001
    Unlike those who see integration of special effects as being at the expense of story line, the characters in this story have been placed in dramatically unusual situations and they have done a good job. As Roger Ebert stated, this movie does have the obligatory "love conquers all" thematic element that most movies seem to have. To be honest this was the only incredulous part of the movie. Unlike those who see integration of special effects as being at the expense of story line, the characters in this story have been placed in dramatically unusual situations and they have done a good job. As Roger Ebert stated, this movie does have the obligatory "love conquers all" thematic element that most movies seem to have. To be honest this was the only incredulous part of the movie. Otherwise the movie consistently followed a storyline that was not necessarily predictable. Anyway, I will fork out the money to see the sequel once it comes out and so will most people who have watched the movie. And isn't that finally what counts? Expand
  43. NIKO
    Nov 2, 2002
    Very good action movie, with good story! It is My favorite movie! I really want MATRIX 2. Uskokaa tai alkaa.
  44. DonnieDarko
    Feb 8, 2003
    This is the most obscenely, ridiculous, groingrabbingly amazing movie ever conceived by man. Props to the Wachowski bros. for creating the most original piece of art -- masterpiece -- ever. This movie is a stunning achievement in not just moviemaking, but in the history of art, imagination, and f.ck it, everything damn thing out there. To all these matrix haters, you all must suck at life This is the most obscenely, ridiculous, groingrabbingly amazing movie ever conceived by man. Props to the Wachowski bros. for creating the most original piece of art -- masterpiece -- ever. This movie is a stunning achievement in not just moviemaking, but in the history of art, imagination, and f.ck it, everything damn thing out there. To all these matrix haters, you all must suck at life cause you retards cant grasp one of the greatest stories ever written. Expand
  45. SlawomirJ.
    Apr 21, 2003
    "Unfortunately, no one can be told what the matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."
  46. RachelD.
    Jun 16, 2003
    Great movie. If it weren't for "Ghost In Shell" and Philip K. Dick we probably would never get a fantastic movie like this (note: the Wachowski brothers said this idea was INSPIRED by "Ghost In Shell", not COPIED!)
  47. VikramM.
    Dec 6, 2004
    This is the action film. No question. When you think of the Matrix, you can relate to many different things, bending back and dodging bullets, punching people as hard as they can, many things. This movie is flat out awesome. You can't even stop to take a breath before BAM Neo jumps off a building, BAM Morpheus just jumped in the air and kicked Neo and now they are fighting like This is the action film. No question. When you think of the Matrix, you can relate to many different things, bending back and dodging bullets, punching people as hard as they can, many things. This movie is flat out awesome. You can't even stop to take a breath before BAM Neo jumps off a building, BAM Morpheus just jumped in the air and kicked Neo and now they are fighting like psycho maniacs. Unbelievable. I am not blaming anybody, but really for people who think the plot is confusing or it doesn't make sense or this is just two guys in suits fighting (I have heard so many whines like this) just forget it and watch the movie. Then I will bet you that you will sit back and say WOAH! Expand
  48. RobM.
    May 30, 2004
    This is one great movie. Very interesting combination of kung-fu choreography/cypberpunk sci-fi/ graphic novel philosophy, also its groundbreaking visual effects (which won an Oscar) and it's stunning production design command attention throughout.
  49. RobertR.
    Dec 9, 2006
    The most visually stunning, psychologically astonishing, groundbreaking film the world has ever seen. It combines elements of philosophy, martial arts, and wonder to make a perfectly balanced and thrilling movie. Plus, it has a real cast of actors, including Keanu Reeves as Neo, Lawrence Fishburne as Morpheus, and Carrie-Ann Moss as Trinity. Even if you're not into kung fu fight The most visually stunning, psychologically astonishing, groundbreaking film the world has ever seen. It combines elements of philosophy, martial arts, and wonder to make a perfectly balanced and thrilling movie. Plus, it has a real cast of actors, including Keanu Reeves as Neo, Lawrence Fishburne as Morpheus, and Carrie-Ann Moss as Trinity. Even if you're not into kung fu fight scenes, this movie will still satisfy you with its wonder and philosophical elements. Some movies go overboard with special effects and fight scenes, but this one does not. It has a perfect balance of fight scenes and philosophical things. Note: You have to see this movie a few times before you really understand everything that is being said. Expand
  50. Tech
    Aug 3, 2006
    Movie was great. Effects, Storyline, Scripts.
  51. DonnaM
    Dec 20, 2007
    The movie is excellent! I did not even pay attention to the special effects, It is the concept that really rocks! Extremely mind blowing! This is the best movie I ever saw!
  52. MarcD.
    Mar 1, 2001
    I haven't felt that drawn into an action movie since I was a first grader watching the original "Star Wars" on opening weekend at Mann's Chinese. It absolutely dwarfed Episode One... Jar Jar Who? And I liked how the writers used the Matrix as modern example of Plato's Cave Image from Chapter V of the "Republic."
  53. TaylorG.
    Aug 4, 2002
    Too many people think this movie is all about ground breaking effects and fight scenes. The Wachowski brothers made that their last priority. The story is amazing, better than Shakespeare; more provocative than Aristotle. Symbolisms around every corner and hidden meanings everywhere you look; an amazing work of literature. The is by far the greatest movie ever.
  54. DaveC.
    Nov 6, 2003
    *sigh* Everytime I go back to this excellent piece of sci-fi, I weep at how so much potential was wasted on the sequels. This film is truly unique, with astonishing production design (inside the Matrix anyway), mesmerising cinematography, some kick ass fight sequences and an interesting jab at authority. Unlike its sequels, this film is lean, with a perfectly comprehensible narrative. *sigh* Everytime I go back to this excellent piece of sci-fi, I weep at how so much potential was wasted on the sequels. This film is truly unique, with astonishing production design (inside the Matrix anyway), mesmerising cinematography, some kick ass fight sequences and an interesting jab at authority. Unlike its sequels, this film is lean, with a perfectly comprehensible narrative. Some may argue it's not a classic, but it's still well worth anyone's time. Expand
  55. MichelleP.
    Jan 3, 2003
    I'm not a big fan of sci-fi films. But I think this is the greatest one to date! The special effects didn't ruin the storyline or characters (I hope your reading this, George Lucas) and the acting was superb. Yes, it was gruesome at some times, but that only made the film better. I was suprised at its R-rating though. I mean, it was violent and had a lot of cussing, but it I'm not a big fan of sci-fi films. But I think this is the greatest one to date! The special effects didn't ruin the storyline or characters (I hope your reading this, George Lucas) and the acting was superb. Yes, it was gruesome at some times, but that only made the film better. I was suprised at its R-rating though. I mean, it was violent and had a lot of cussing, but it wasn't so bad as to giving it an R-rating! This is such a PG-13 film! I hope the sequel will be rated PG-13 because R isn't the right rating. I'm suprised none of the critics gave this film a 10. It was brilliant! See it! Collapse
  56. MstandsforMasterpiece--anditalsostandsforTheMatrix
    Apr 22, 2003
    I am SICK of hearing people complaining about how this film has too many special effects! Come on, Lord of the Rings was packed with special effects, why aren't we complaining about that film? The Matrix is very similar to LOTR in a way as well, but the top thing that they both have in common is that they're both masterpieces. The Matrix had to be a difficult thing to make. It I am SICK of hearing people complaining about how this film has too many special effects! Come on, Lord of the Rings was packed with special effects, why aren't we complaining about that film? The Matrix is very similar to LOTR in a way as well, but the top thing that they both have in common is that they're both masterpieces. The Matrix had to be a difficult thing to make. It required intelligence and imagination to make such a well-written story. Heck, if this was a novel, I'll bet it'd be acclaimed by everyone (including myself). But it's a movie, and when people think of a movie with loads of special effects and a very sci-fi story, they thing "Oh, it's going to be a stupid movie that'll be as bad as the new Star Wars movies George Lucas is making. Ha,ha,ha." YEAH RIGHT! Critics just don't get it! They barely even judged the movie by its plot. They kept focusing on its visuals. SHUT UP SF CHRONICLE! I mean, that newspaper complained about the film's horrible dialogue. Oh, I suppose you think "The Ring"'s dialogue was PERFECTO huh? (the SF Chronicle gave "The Ring" their highest score). The dialogue is so philosophical and true, it's...incredible. The actors gave great performances. Keanu Reeves was so great at showing truly real reactions to things that happened to him, Laurence Fishburne was wise and mysterious-sounding, and Hugo Weaving was like Elrond's evil twin. Someone complained about the "gay" kung-fu fight between Neo and Morpheous. Now, gay means either "happy" or *cough* *cough* two people of the *cough* same sex *cough* who are in *cough* *choke* love with each other. The relationship between Morpheous and Neo was what I like to call a FRIENDSHIP. Who says boys aren't allowed to have that and girls are allowed? Expand
  57. KevinR.
    Apr 3, 2003
    I think, what Matrix hating people are forgetting is that movies are an art form. They complain that The Matrix has special effects. Well duh! Who ever didn't wet their pants at the pure eye candy of The Matrix has their head stuck in the black and white past of crappy, poor quality 'classics.'
  58. CharlesH.
    May 13, 2003
    I am not a Keanu Reeves fan nor a big sci-fi fan. I finally saw this movie two years after it came out only because everyone I know kept raving about it. They were right. The Matrix is a masterpiece! Anyone who can't see that is a moron. I've now seen it 5 times and I can't wait for the sequels.
  59. Uranidiotifuhatethisfilm
    May 14, 2003
    People who haven't seen this film don't get it at all. Everyone's saying the plot is weak, and everytime they do, I crack up. You obviously don't know much about the Japanese culture. Study your butt off on Japanese culture and religion, read a few fantasies, watch some decent anime movies (examples: Akira, Ghost In Shell, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor People who haven't seen this film don't get it at all. Everyone's saying the plot is weak, and everytime they do, I crack up. You obviously don't know much about the Japanese culture. Study your butt off on Japanese culture and religion, read a few fantasies, watch some decent anime movies (examples: Akira, Ghost In Shell, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Tortoro) study 10-year-olds, and then watch this movie. You'll be suprised that you actually said the plot was "weak". Then you might as well be saying every fantasy's plot is weak because they're almost exactly like this. Plus, Spirited Away didn't intend to be a complex story like Lord of the Rings. It was aiming to be a fairy tale. And it succeeded. Oh, also, before you watch this movie, watch Alice in Wonderland. If you ask me, there's barely any similarities. Spirited Away has more elements from The Phantom Tollbooth (a book you MUST read if you haven't already done so) than Alice in Wonderland. Spirited Away also offers more realistic characters (exp: Chihiro and Haku), unpredictable situations (exp: Kamaji's first scene), and an ending that isn't sappy 'n' happy. The situations don't "wrap up too fast". Count all of the problems Chihiro had in the film. Not only will you see that each situation is help for the next situation, but you will also see that the plot is stronger than it seems. Expand
  60. AndrewK.
    May 16, 2003
    GREAT! amazing efects, great story and alot of killing.
  61. TheElusivePossom
    May 27, 2003
    Not much to say about this: the title of "One Of The Great Movies Of All Time" says it all really. And to "Sandy H.": when you want to badmouth a film by comparing it with other sources, you might wanna try actually picking some bad examples i.e. played a Nintendo game recently, Sandy?
  62. LyraS.
    Jun 3, 2003
    Greatest film of all time. And most under-rated.
  63. JenniferD.
    Jul 18, 2003
    Brian C., is there a "none of the above" for your answers? a)I don't mind people thinking I'm a geek. I think it's a compliment. b)How could I have "heard it was bad" when I saw it the second day it came out and people were just starting to see it? c)The only greatness of the film was its plot. But it was totally abused by its dull, forced-up, laughable acting (yes, I Brian C., is there a "none of the above" for your answers? a)I don't mind people thinking I'm a geek. I think it's a compliment. b)How could I have "heard it was bad" when I saw it the second day it came out and people were just starting to see it? c)The only greatness of the film was its plot. But it was totally abused by its dull, forced-up, laughable acting (yes, I noticed a difference between the acting in the first and the acting in the seconf), characters you could barely care about at all (they rarely ever got hurt in the second and were basically invincible...so why should I care about them?), ugly settings (and no, the action did NOT make me forget about them. Both the real world and the matrix looked ugly and cold), and I'm sure I could name a few more scenes but those were my highlights (if I said the sex/dance scene, everbody would beat me up). And those negatives totally ruined the fun of the movie as well. But I loved the first one. You actually CARED about the characters (due to how vulnerable they were) in the first one. I'm sorry if you think I'm a "moron" for hating the second film, but it's just based on my opinion, and I don't see how that makes you a moron. Expand
  64. KateG.
    Jul 2, 2003
    I've seen the second one once. I still see this one a multiple amount of times.
  65. StevenV.
    Aug 10, 2003
    This movie is unbelievable it is amzazing. great story and suspenseful eye popping action!
  66. AlexP.
    Oct 13, 2005
    Oh my god this film is brilliant. It has blown my mind. Thank you god for giving me the Matrix!
  67. garionc.
    Nov 4, 2005
    Omg OMG exelent as both bill and teds just not as funny specilfx are brill and agent smith dude i need thst suit a spex they r great.
  68. UyiO.
    Dec 5, 2005
    Nothing like this has really been made before. A combination of theology, philosophy, kungfu and cyberworld.
  69. Anonymous
    Jun 7, 2005
    One of the most interesting and exciting movies you can get. Along with the great FX, the story and setting have endless sitational and political analogies that make this hit a universal smash. Make the connections, and you'll see how this movie is not just an excellent addition, but an absolutly essential one. Everyone should see it.
  70. Nebular
    Jan 12, 2006
    'The Matrix' is a revolution in the sci-fi genre. It's simply amazing!!!
  71. MichaelR.
    Oct 24, 2007
    Easily in top 20 greatest movies of all time.Action packed from start to finish.
  72. JesnR.
    Feb 25, 2007
    The most undoubtedly cool movie in a very long time. An absolute pity about the sequels. Sigh.
  73. RobertS.
    Jan 15, 2008
    A fantastic film that is as creative as science-fiction films get. A great take on the "What if" question, and although the action is a bit over the top, it's supposed to be and it doesn't go too far. Makes you think and combines good use of colour, atmosphere and truly believable fear from some of the characters to make on of the best sci-fi films ever. Go buy it. It's A fantastic film that is as creative as science-fiction films get. A great take on the "What if" question, and although the action is a bit over the top, it's supposed to be and it doesn't go too far. Makes you think and combines good use of colour, atmosphere and truly believable fear from some of the characters to make on of the best sci-fi films ever. Go buy it. It's just a shame the sequels were so bad. Expand
  74. MikeM
    Jun 1, 2009
    Best movie Ive ever seen besides Braveheart. The fight scenes were amazing. Loved the rotating camera and slow motion effects. The story line was really good. Anyone that does not give this movie a ten obviously has bad taste in movies or just didn't really understand the movie!.
  75. MugrisG.
    Feb 24, 2001
    Great special effects and awesome philosophical views.
  76. Esteban
    May 31, 2001
    This really is a fantastic movie. If nothing else, for it's visuals, which are breathtaking, but also because of the depth of the plot. Probably far too deep than most would want to imagine.
  77. JohnR.
    Jul 18, 2001
    Bob Graham from the San Francisco Chronicle does obviously not have the brain capacity of a 6 year old. This movie is great for people who don't mind thinking into the movie. Even if you don't think, you should be amazed by the great action sequences and cinematography.
  78. WobiekisserM.
    Aug 27, 2001
    Posseses something many films do not, more than an action flick, it's a modern masterpiece of superhero technology.
  79. NickV.
    May 12, 2003
    Great movie with lots of twits and turns helped push actors to the next level.
  80. MatrixFan
    May 17, 2003
    I loved this movie. The 2nd movie sucked, but this one still rox.
  81. BrianC.
    Jul 17, 2003
    The Matrix, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the best movies ever made. Not because of the action, but because of the story, the symbolism, and the philosophy involved. It is one of the most cerebral movies I've ever seen. It is only equalled by it's sequel. That's right. As amazing as this movie is, as much of an eyeopener as this movie is, the sequel is still The Matrix, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the best movies ever made. Not because of the action, but because of the story, the symbolism, and the philosophy involved. It is one of the most cerebral movies I've ever seen. It is only equalled by it's sequel. That's right. As amazing as this movie is, as much of an eyeopener as this movie is, the sequel is still better. Better action, better plot, better symbolism, and better philosophy. It's sad that people don't want to give these movies a chance because A) they don't want to look like a geek B) "heard it was bad" or C) don't feel like having to think about it in order to fully understand it's greatness. This movie woke me up--I can only hope it will do the same for some of you, the average movie goer. Expand
  82. Jared
    Dec 12, 2006
    WOW! The special effects were amazing and the stunts in the movie were really cool and fun to watch.
  83. DanielH.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Although difficult to understand at times, this action packed masterpiece brought together brilliant action sequences and fantastic filming to bring you a really great film.
  84. AndrewN
    Jul 26, 2007
    This was billed as the action movie of the millennium. And it really was hard to argue with that. One of the best movies ever and the best sci-fi movie ever. With stunning set pieces and fight scenes, its a must see. A shame the third film was such drivel.
  85. MarkJ.
    Oct 26, 2008
    Its funny how some people give this movie a low rating. I don't think they fully understand the concept of a simulated reality. There are many actual scientific hypothesis regarding the subject, many of which seem extremely logical and involve Quantum Computers trying to calculate every possible combination and outcome of everything. Another considers the progression of technology Its funny how some people give this movie a low rating. I don't think they fully understand the concept of a simulated reality. There are many actual scientific hypothesis regarding the subject, many of which seem extremely logical and involve Quantum Computers trying to calculate every possible combination and outcome of everything. Another considers the progression of technology and computer systems, and how they are already running complex simulations to help us decide the best course of action in many situations and where resources should be allocated. The matrix falls under the category of "Brain-computer interface" or "direct neural interface" and correlates directly with Neuroprosthetics which is an actual area of neuroscience. This is the first film to consider technologies impact on primitive culture, and the behavior which could result from direct technological integration into semi-intelligent organic life. Expand
  86. MarkW
    Feb 24, 2008
    Gobsmacked all the way! This is a mile marker movie in the cinema time line. The cinematography is ground breaking and impressive - evidenced by how much it has been imitated. It is a movie for both Joe Six-pack and the philosopher at the same time. Joe S. will be satisfied with the Kung-Fu action and gun fighting expolosions, while the philosopher will scratch their chin with a new Gobsmacked all the way! This is a mile marker movie in the cinema time line. The cinematography is ground breaking and impressive - evidenced by how much it has been imitated. It is a movie for both Joe Six-pack and the philosopher at the same time. Joe S. will be satisfied with the Kung-Fu action and gun fighting expolosions, while the philosopher will scratch their chin with a new perspective on Descartes' Mind-Body problem. The kissy-kissy scene between Neo and Trinity is a bit hokey ... but I survived it and still left the theater slack-jawed. The next two movies in the trilogy do not follow this one very well. In fact, I think the trilogy is still incomplete. I am waiting for the next two...proper follow-ups. Expand
  87. AndrewR.
    Jul 12, 2008
    Phenomenal don't believe any of the ratings under a 7, they're simply trying to keep you from being unplugged.
  88. MichaelJ.
    Dec 28, 2005
    Great movie, one of my favorites. The ideas introduced in this movie were fascinating.
  89. Jun 8, 2013
    This is the best sci-fi movie ever made, together with Star Wars IV and V, of course. I can't tell you much about it. You REALLY need to watch it so you can make conclusions.
  90. Aug 19, 2013
    Nowadays, you could ask someone what film defined the sic-fi genre and made it what it is today, there's a good chance the film on the lips of many would be The Matrix, the 1999 bombshell which inspired, split and certainly opened up debate for the masses, some called it ridiculous, others were boggled by its complex plot but many respected the achievement the film had, and for goodNowadays, you could ask someone what film defined the sic-fi genre and made it what it is today, there's a good chance the film on the lips of many would be The Matrix, the 1999 bombshell which inspired, split and certainly opened up debate for the masses, some called it ridiculous, others were boggled by its complex plot but many respected the achievement the film had, and for good reason. Without stripping the plot down piece by piece and explaining what is and what isn't, The Matrix works with the idea that the world as we know it is actually a dream, that we are actually "plugged in" to the real world which is run by machines, and that Neo (Keanu Reeves) is the man to stop the war and give freedom back to the humans, this is what Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) believes, one of the captains of a resistance movement in the real world.
    Neo begins to learn the way of the Matrix, which can be summed up as the world we live in now, that it is actually a computer program created by the machines to control the populous.
    The Matrix itself, therefore, can be altered because it is a program, these people can walk on walls, slow down time and have quite an array of fighting skills, but its really when these parts come into play that the film starts to loose is unique touch and starts to conform, we have shootouts, running, typical villains and a sense of losing steam, the premise remains, but the action becomes bloated and apparently necessary. There is a vast array of characters, already mentioning Neo and Morpheus, we have Trinity, an experienced member of the crew and a love interest of Neo, we have also have Mr Smith, an agent of the Matrix intent on the destruction of the remaining human world, Zion. There are various other characters but they aren't widely used, the primary focus is the path that Neo must take, and the decisions he must make.
    We have the introduction of "bullet time" which of course is common ground now in Hollywood but its humble beginnings in the film will leave your jaw on the floor, the Watchowski brothers have utilised an intelligent, sometimes confusing plot but still manage to keep us up to date, while also showing some impressive effects and scenarios that will really have you questioning everything around you, if of course you keep an open mind.
    Certainly an interesting and dramatic tale, one which continues to stand the test of time with its remarkably risky script and its choice of lead roles, but while it can take a turn into familiar territory, there is still fresh and enjoyable fun to be had with The Matrix, it opens plenty of questions and begs the viewer to attempt a straight answer, and thats what getting engaged in a film is all about.
  91. May 20, 2014
    I remember when I first saw this movie at school, years ago. I wasn't fully focused and even missed a piece of the movie, but I recall thinking that this film is complex and needs more than a couple watches to be understood. Now, years later, after I have seen the movie time and time again, it is almost as simple as it gets.

"Matrix" was the first of its kin. It has been made into

"Matrix" was the first of its kin. It has been made into parody more times than I can count, and a lot of movies have been influenced by it. This is a master piece, right here.

The world, the ideology, and the characters all stand their own ground, firm and unyielding. The idea behind the story is complex, coming apart piece by piece. Words of wisdom are offered, but you need to grasp the right things to really comprehend them. There is no big "surprise" lurking around; you have the answer all the time. You just need to understand it first.

The fighting scenes are one of a kind. The slow-motion camera work is artistic, adding to the coolness that seems to hang above this movie. Sunglasses, black leather, the soundtrack on the background, and the monotone voices - it all creates an atmosphere you either love or hate.

I love it. This is totally one of my favorite movies, and when viewed as part of the Matrix series, this is the most "whole" part.
  92. May 3, 2014
    I strongly recommend this film; it's a golden experience that will change your life for the better.

The effects still look great even fifteen years later. The story offers much food for thought. Morpheus, Neo, and Trinity transcend mere character into archetype. But who HASN'T felt as if this life is something less than it seems? This stands alongside 'Serenity' among science-fiction cinema's greatest champions of human liberation and truth. If you care about your mind, see this. You will not be disappointed.
  93. Oct 21, 2013
    Saw this movie for the first time yesterday. Although a lot of it was cheesy and the costumes were ridiculous, it was very engrossing and I was never bored.
  94. Dec 11, 2013
    A mind-bending movie. The story of Neo, a computer hacker who learns that the entire world is simply a dream created by machines to keep human's minds occupied so they can be harvested for energy, is incredible, simply because one day it may actually happen. The fights are incredibly choreographed, and the special effects were revolutionary for their time, and still hold up today. BuckleA mind-bending movie. The story of Neo, a computer hacker who learns that the entire world is simply a dream created by machines to keep human's minds occupied so they can be harvested for energy, is incredible, simply because one day it may actually happen. The fights are incredibly choreographed, and the special effects were revolutionary for their time, and still hold up today. Buckle up and prepare for The Matrix! (and its crappy sequels). Expand
  95. Dec 26, 2013
    "You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it. "
    Morpheus
  96. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Matrix was genius. Acting was great, the story: perfection, direction was perfect, and then the fights were absolutely badass, and anyone who's seen it would agree.
  97. Apr 26, 2014
    The beginning of the movie for me was very confusing but by the end all your questions will be answered. The slo-mo and CGI make the tricks a whole lot better.
  98. Jun 8, 2014
    Really recommend this movie (not the sequels however). Good plot and storyline, nice special effects (not too overdone) and if you can overlook the plot holes and suspend disbelief, your in for a great ride!
  99. Jul 14, 2014
    If I was dying and had to recommend to my child only 1 film to watch until they understand it fully, it would be the Matrix (trilogy).

That's how good it is.
  100. Sep 7, 2014
    I am just fascinated by the idea of the movie:"Human reproduction has stopped, humans are used as an infinite source of energy." So basically they are grown as mere vegetables.
    Everyone agrees that the fight sequences are more than awesome. Special effects are spectacular considering the year the film was made.
    The first part of The Matrix is more than enough to satisfy your expectations
    The first part of The Matrix is more than enough to satisfy your expectations from a sci-fi movie.

1. There's not much humor to keep it all life-size, and by the final stretch it's become bloated, mechanical, and tiresome.
  2. The plot switches gears every time it threatens to run out of energy, which keeps the show as lively as it is preposterous.
    The Matrix slams you back in your chair, pops open your eyes and leaves your jaw hanging slack in amazement.