9.0

1. Jan 20, 2016
    The action is right there... right where it lies, and you're going to love this action flick. What the Wachowski Brothers have in mind is what they appear as they direct the Matrix.
  2. Mar 5, 2014
    Well, this one was certainly unique. That is for sure. I was very skeptical heading into this one as I am not head over heels with Keanu Reeves and am not a fan of Laurence Fishburne at all, yet both turned in good performances. The plot is very complex, but once you wrap your head around it and begin to understand everything, it becomes very enjoyable and easy watching. In fact, itWell, this one was certainly unique. That is for sure. I was very skeptical heading into this one as I am not head over heels with Keanu Reeves and am not a fan of Laurence Fishburne at all, yet both turned in good performances. The plot is very complex, but once you wrap your head around it and begin to understand everything, it becomes very enjoyable and easy watching. In fact, it shocked me how straight forward it wound up being, as I expected it to be far more confounding. I am typically not a huge science fiction fan, but this one really wound up working for me and though the shoved in romantic elements bother me as always. On top of that, how it pretty much turns into an action film (especially towards the end) is another sour note here. However, as I said, it was still very enjoyable and very well done. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    The Matrix is a thought-provoking movie that is the pioneer in slo-mo filmmaking, and has some really good CGI effects for it's time (except for that one scene where Keanu finishes all his enemies, we all signed an unspoken contract to forget about the CGI in that scene). But other than that, this movie was the first of its kind, and is just a really amazing film to experience.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    Although some of the acting is sporadically disagreeable, "The Matrix" still remains an imaginative, stylish, and heaploads of fun.
  5. Oct 4, 2011
    Yes, the movie has flaws. But who cares? "The Matrix" is a astonishing movie that is for-your-eyes only. The film has top notch (slo-mo was first introduced by this movie) CGI as well as a well rounded plot. It gives you more than you can ask for from a 1990's action film.
  6. Oct 6, 2013
    Enjoyable action with an original and well done plot that keeps you interested from start to finish. A little slow at times and the ending could have been better but overall, It's a pretty enjoyable film.
  7. Jun 15, 2014
    It's been over 10 years since I've seen the Matrix, and to be completely honest with you, back then, I didn't really get it the way I did this time. When the film was made it was a huge risk for the production company, as it was extremely expensive, and featured a first a time Director, using a new kind of computerized effects. 15 years later and the film is considered to be one of theIt's been over 10 years since I've seen the Matrix, and to be completely honest with you, back then, I didn't really get it the way I did this time. When the film was made it was a huge risk for the production company, as it was extremely expensive, and featured a first a time Director, using a new kind of computerized effects. 15 years later and the film is considered to be one of the best science fiction movies ever made. For those unfamiliar with the story, it takes place 200 years in the future, a time where machines have taken control of the planet and 99% of humans live in blissful ignorance, as pawns in stasis, living out there lives in a dreamworld called the Matrix. The other 1% know the truth and will do whatever it takes to defeat the machines. The crew of the Nebuchadnezzar leads the charge, following an ancient prophecy, that says they will one day discover a human with extraordinary abilities, that will lead to the destruction of the Matrix. That man is named Neo and is played by Keanu Reeves, in what many consider to be his crowning achievement. Reeves is often put down for being too dark and emotionless in his roles, but that is exactly what the role of Neo calls for, making Reeves the perfect choice to play him. Reeves is paired with veteran actor Laurence Fishburne, who as Morpheus, is like the pope of this new world. He is the one who discovered the prophecy and who risks everything for Neo. The story of the Matrix is one of the most original to come alone in decades, featuring a perfectly cast group of actors, who are aided by special effects, the likes of which had never been seen before. These effects are common place in 2014, but were unheard of in 1999, and really helped cement the reputation of this classic. The Matrix may not be the perfect movie and in fact, a lot of people won't understand it, but it's a film that people will be watching 200 years from now, when the events of the film supposedly take place. Expand
  8. Jul 8, 2015
    The Matrix is a classic science fiction film that has a astonishing three dimensional cartoon world and has artsy action like you would see in a comic book but in 3D. What makes the film special, is it's taking a journey with it's characters and people watching the movie trying to figure out this matrix universe, the film does not spoon feed the audience. It describe many details asThe Matrix is a classic science fiction film that has a astonishing three dimensional cartoon world and has artsy action like you would see in a comic book but in 3D. What makes the film special, is it's taking a journey with it's characters and people watching the movie trying to figure out this matrix universe, the film does not spoon feed the audience. It describe many details as possible. Neil (Keanu Reeves) is a young hacker who wants to know what is the matrix, so he thinks Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) the dangerous man alive, to answer his question. He is contacted by Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) so they can go to a mysterious underworld were they'll meet Morpheus. Their fighting for their lives against intelligent secret agents. It is a truth that could cost Neo something more precious than his life. I don't care if people think Reeves is a bad actor, to be honest he's like able but this guy is trying to make his character awesome, likeable and to root for while he proves he's a physical actor, which makes the action more better. Laurence Fishburne as the leader is the best leader in the film, he awnsers all the questions that audiences have, he's something people need while watching the film. Writen and directed by the Wachowski brothers, they put so much detail in their marvel script and if there's one thing that they achieve in directing their action block busters is understanding the art of an action scene. Bill Pope's camera work is so mindblowing and that's why the Matrix is equally good about the film, and make the action scene more better. The film is well-made, astonishing camera work and written and directed by the talented Wachowski brothers. Grade A+ Expand
  9. May 20, 2014
    I remember when I first saw this movie at school, years ago. I wasn't fully focused and even missed a piece of the movie, but I recall thinking that this film is complex and needs more than a couple watches to be understood. Now, years later, after I have seen the movie time and time again, it is almost as simple as it gets.

"Matrix" was the first of its kin. It has been made into

"Matrix" was the first of its kin. It has been made into parody more times than I can count, and a lot of movies have been influenced by it. This is a master piece, right here.

The world, the ideology, and the characters all stand their own ground, firm and unyielding. The idea behind the story is complex, coming apart piece by piece. Words of wisdom are offered, but you need to grasp the right things to really comprehend them. There is no big "surprise" lurking around; you have the answer all the time. You just need to understand it first.

The fighting scenes are one of a kind. The slow-motion camera work is artistic, adding to the coolness that seems to hang above this movie. Sunglasses, black leather, the soundtrack on the background, and the monotone voices - it all creates an atmosphere you either love or hate.

I love it. This is totally one of my favorite movies, and when viewed as part of the Matrix series, this is the most "whole" part.
  10. Aug 19, 2013
    Nowadays, you could ask someone what film defined the sic-fi genre and made it what it is today, there's a good chance the film on the lips of many would be The Matrix, the 1999 bombshell which inspired, split and certainly opened up debate for the masses, some called it ridiculous, others were boggled by its complex plot but many respected the achievement the film had, and for goodNowadays, you could ask someone what film defined the sic-fi genre and made it what it is today, there's a good chance the film on the lips of many would be The Matrix, the 1999 bombshell which inspired, split and certainly opened up debate for the masses, some called it ridiculous, others were boggled by its complex plot but many respected the achievement the film had, and for good reason. Without stripping the plot down piece by piece and explaining what is and what isn't, The Matrix works with the idea that the world as we know it is actually a dream, that we are actually "plugged in" to the real world which is run by machines, and that Neo (Keanu Reeves) is the man to stop the war and give freedom back to the humans, this is what Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) believes, one of the captains of a resistance movement in the real world.
    Neo begins to learn the way of the Matrix, which can be summed up as the world we live in now, that it is actually a computer program created by the machines to control the populous.
    The Matrix itself, therefore, can be altered because it is a program, these people can walk on walls, slow down time and have quite an array of fighting skills, but its really when these parts come into play that the film starts to loose is unique touch and starts to conform, we have shootouts, running, typical villains and a sense of losing steam, the premise remains, but the action becomes bloated and apparently necessary. There is a vast array of characters, already mentioning Neo and Morpheus, we have Trinity, an experienced member of the crew and a love interest of Neo, we have also have Mr Smith, an agent of the Matrix intent on the destruction of the remaining human world, Zion. There are various other characters but they aren't widely used, the primary focus is the path that Neo must take, and the decisions he must make.
    We have the introduction of "bullet time" which of course is common ground now in Hollywood but its humble beginnings in the film will leave your jaw on the floor, the Watchowski brothers have utilised an intelligent, sometimes confusing plot but still manage to keep us up to date, while also showing some impressive effects and scenarios that will really have you questioning everything around you, if of course you keep an open mind.
    Certainly an interesting and dramatic tale, one which continues to stand the test of time with its remarkably risky script and its choice of lead roles, but while it can take a turn into familiar territory, there is still fresh and enjoyable fun to be had with The Matrix, it opens plenty of questions and begs the viewer to attempt a straight answer, and thats what getting engaged in a film is all about.
  11. Jul 2, 2012
    The Wachowski Brothers' sci-fi actioner is primarily remembered for its distinctive aesthetic style and physics-defying action, but what makes The Matrix really stand out is its exceedingly creative exploration of some big philosophical themes, most notably concepts of reality and free will. These ideas are discussed through the film's dark and layered story premise that supposesThe Wachowski Brothers' sci-fi actioner is primarily remembered for its distinctive aesthetic style and physics-defying action, but what makes The Matrix really stand out is its exceedingly creative exploration of some big philosophical themes, most notably concepts of reality and free will. These ideas are discussed through the film's dark and layered story premise that supposes humanity's research into artificial intelligence technology resulted in a machine rebellion and the near-total extinction of the human race, and the construction of an elaborate computer simulation dubbed "The Matrix" in order to keep the survivors enslaved. The plot leaves ample opportunity for flaunting plenty of eye-popping and complex action sequences, groundbreaking special effects, and for some quotes from the Wachowski's simple but effective script to become iconic. All the cast are strong, particularly Reeves, Weaving and the quite brilliant Joe Pantoliano, whose performance is complex, entertaining and full of subtle nuances. The best scenes in the film are Neo's training for survival within The Matrix, where essential skills are uploaded directly to his noggin, and his climactic fight with the film's primary antagonist, Agent Smith. As effective a blockbuster as The Matrix is, the strong religious overtones of certain elements of the plot can be a little hard to swallow when they become too blatant, and some of the supposedly intellectual concepts Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) attempts to explain to Neo, and by extension the viewer, sometimes sound like they have been lifted from a high school philosophy essay. Despite these little gripes, The Matrix is always fun, visually stunning and considerably more intelligent than the vast majority of modern big-budget science fiction films.The sequels never surpassed this first instalment on any terms, even with the mountains of cash that was piled onto the franchise, so remember this one with fondness, and perhaps forget the others, particularly Revolutions. Expand
  12. Jan 30, 2013
    I remember watching this when it came out and it was awesome. Don't get me wrong, there is ALLOT wrong with this movie: the acting, the disjointed & cryptic script, the needlessly over-the-top action scenes. Watching this movie recently I also noticed just how poorly the FX have aged too. BUT, I will admit, even though it has a high reading on the crap-o-meter, it's still entertaining asI remember watching this when it came out and it was awesome. Don't get me wrong, there is ALLOT wrong with this movie: the acting, the disjointed & cryptic script, the needlessly over-the-top action scenes. Watching this movie recently I also noticed just how poorly the FX have aged too. BUT, I will admit, even though it has a high reading on the crap-o-meter, it's still entertaining as hell, as long as you leave your brain at the door and enjoy it at face value. Overall: Probably the greatest bad movie ever. King of the Junkyard . Expand
  13. Aug 8, 2014
    Well served by a terrific cast and some spot on action sequences, "Matrix" is a groundbreaking piece of cinema with the essence of pure entertainment.
  14. Nov 29, 2015
    Don't miss the first minute of this movie. That's how fast and interesting it is. And the most interesting concept of it all, that we are not really here. Our perception of the world is a computer construct that we are hard wired into. Too far out? Then you won't like this. By the way, Neo (Keanu) goes to a bar to meet his contact. That bar is in Australia. It was not constructedDon't miss the first minute of this movie. That's how fast and interesting it is. And the most interesting concept of it all, that we are not really here. Our perception of the world is a computer construct that we are hard wired into. Too far out? Then you won't like this. By the way, Neo (Keanu) goes to a bar to meet his contact. That bar is in Australia. It was not constructed for this movie. It and the patrons look like that everyday. Too far out? The sequels went downhill from this movie so I only have this one in my collection. Expand
  15. Mar 8, 2014
    An intelligent and thrilling sci-fi spectacle. It has excellent visuals, intense Hong Kong action, and a potentially confusing and complex plot. The more you think about it, the more awesome it gets.
  16. Nov 12, 2013
    The Matrix generates success.
    A very well directed and fast paced action thrill ride with more gunfire than one could dream of. Besides being just a fun shoot 'em up The Matrix gives audiences mysterious characters and a solid plot.
  17. Apr 17, 2016
    You see a lot of reviews at Metacritic complaining about how "overrated" such and such a movie is. Well please allow me to nominate The Matrix as the Most Under-rated Movie here. The Matrix is more intelligent, more stylish, more exciting and better looking than any other movie made in the last twenty years. It is probably the best Science Fiction movie ever made, far better than suchYou see a lot of reviews at Metacritic complaining about how "overrated" such and such a movie is. Well please allow me to nominate The Matrix as the Most Under-rated Movie here. The Matrix is more intelligent, more stylish, more exciting and better looking than any other movie made in the last twenty years. It is probably the best Science Fiction movie ever made, far better than such pretenders as Blade Runner or Forbidden Planet and challenged in stature only by the beauty and mystery of 2001 and by the pure popcorn entertainment of Star Wars. Expand
  18. Aug 21, 2014
    A kinetic, spellbinding, revolutionary movie. It's thought provoking, exciting, and one of the most memorable movies ever made. It may have a few flaws, such as being a little too show offy with its visual effects, and some lines are extremely pretentious, but there are few films as atmospheric or as mind-bendingly ambitious as the Matrix. Did I mention that the production design isA kinetic, spellbinding, revolutionary movie. It's thought provoking, exciting, and one of the most memorable movies ever made. It may have a few flaws, such as being a little too show offy with its visual effects, and some lines are extremely pretentious, but there are few films as atmospheric or as mind-bendingly ambitious as the Matrix. Did I mention that the production design is incredible and that the score also fits perfectly? Even Keanu Reeves' performance isn't terrible, which is almost impossible. If you like sci-fi at all the chances are you'll love this. But I'm willing to bet you already do. Expand
  19. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Matrix was genius. Acting was great, the story: perfection, direction was perfect, and then the fights were absolutely badass, and anyone who's seen it would agree.
  20. Aug 10, 2015
    The Matrix has some outstanding action sequences, amazing fight scenes with just the use of hands and great cinematography, but I have to say, this film is insanely overrated. The whole love story was thrown onto you like a heavy bag of rice and the character introductions are rushed, and very messy. Sill, a very entertaining movie.
  21. Apr 24, 2015
    There's no sophomore jinx for the Wachowski Brothers. Andy and Larry, a pair of obviously talented film makers, have returned to theaters with The Matrix, a science fiction thriller that is every bit the match of their debut effort, Bound, for tension, excitement, and intelligence. In an era when movie scripts (especially those pigeonholed into the science fiction genre) are becomingThere's no sophomore jinx for the Wachowski Brothers. Andy and Larry, a pair of obviously talented film makers, have returned to theaters with The Matrix, a science fiction thriller that is every bit the match of their debut effort, Bound, for tension, excitement, and intelligence. In an era when movie scripts (especially those pigeonholed into the science fiction genre) are becoming increasingly more stupid and special effects reliant, the Wachowskis prove that style and substance do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I loved The Matrix, and only a few minor contrivances associated with the climax caused the film to miss a 10/10 rating. The movie is kinetic, atmospheric, visually stunning, and mind-bending. It toys with the boundaries between reality and fantasy in unique and interesting ways. In its approach and content, it reminded me of last year's vastly underrated Dark City. There's also a synergy with two movies due to be released within the next month: David Cronenberg's eXistenZ and Alejandro Amenabar's Open Your Eyes. The Matrix is undeniably science fiction, but, unlike most pictures claiming that association, it never falls into the boring, expected patterns of space battles and laser gun shoot-outs. Instead, it ventures into territory that, while not virgin, is sufficiently interesting to provide an involving, invigorating backdrop.

There's much more to The Matrix than this, but to explain further would be to reveal plot twists better discovered through viewing. Although the film frequently toys with the blurred line between grim reality and computer-generated fantasy, it rarely leaves the viewer completely confused (except, perhaps, at the very beginning). The Wachowskis have carefully structured the story in such a way that the audience is capable of following the action and understanding what's going on even when all of the secrets have not been revealed. Nevertheless, because The Matrix is intelligent, it will defeat those unwilling to invest some intellectual participation. The payoff is worth the effort.

Stylistically, The Matrix is much like Bound. Both films are visually stunning, with images painstakingly constructed and action sequences choreographed to excite the eye and quicken the pulse. The Wachowskis use a varied pallette that includes shadows, slow motion, quick cuts, and offbeat humor to paint a unique portrait. Like in Dark City, theirs is a grim world, where darkness and gloom seemingly always hold sway. Everything from the set design to the costumes (lots of black, lots of sunglasses) is intended to contribute to an overall look. When it comes to shoot-outs, the Wachowskis show that John Woo isn't the only director capable of doing interesting things with familiar devices. The shots of Keanu Reeves streaking down a hall with guns blazing all around him and the air thick with shattered bits of concrete is only one of many snapshots that lingers in the mind's eye long after they have vanished from the screen. The special effects, which are not as numerous as those in many science fiction pieces, are flawless.

The Matrix offers a little something for everyone. The die-hard science fiction fan will discover a plot that mixes and matches both new and old conventions of the genre in a compelling fashion. Action aficionados will find that there's no shortage of electric excitement, whether it's in the form of hand-to-hand kung fu-type fights or shoot-outs with seemingly limitless ammunition. There's also betrayal, a little romance, some humor, and a moral dilemma or two, all wrapped into a well-produced package. As I stated earlier, the way in which the Wachowskis choose to resolve everything seems slightly contrived, but, in the overall scheme of things, that's a small price to pay for one of the most enjoyable science fiction thrillers to reach the screen in months.
  22. Sep 6, 2013
    Modern classics of Sci-Fi, this movie carries a whole philosophy in itself. Interesting setting and concept, martial arts, great fight scenes, bullet dodging and you name what else make this movie so popular, and it's popularity is fair.
  23. Jul 27, 2013
    The matrix is an interesting and engaging action flick. It has a story line that really sucks you in and it has great cinematography and a great score. Through out the film there is a unique atmosphere that is maintained as well. The major problem with this film is the Keanu Reeves throughout the entire film is a very bland and monotone actor. Where all the other actors played theirThe matrix is an interesting and engaging action flick. It has a story line that really sucks you in and it has great cinematography and a great score. Through out the film there is a unique atmosphere that is maintained as well. The major problem with this film is the Keanu Reeves throughout the entire film is a very bland and monotone actor. Where all the other actors played their characters well Keanu seemed almost apathetic throughout the entire film. That aside overall the Matrix is very entertaining and luckily there are many action sequences were Keanu is on screen and doesn't have to talk. Expand
  24. Sep 2, 2010
    a fun sci fi action flick with fantasic action and effects . the story is pretty entertaining and keeps you interested . the film has a great plot twist that i dont think any one seeing this for the first time will ever see coming . the story feels fresh and original . the acting is abit dry but fits this film and especialy Reeves who i dont think you could get any dryer then his acting .
  25. Jan 20, 2011
    THE MATRIX is the best action movie ever made in my list. When Matrix released on its time, thiz movie created many breakthrough on world cinema. Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, who is just recently popular in thiz movie. They just known previously as small budget film Director, BOUND (1996). Later, the movie has two more sequels MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTION in 2003. You canTHE MATRIX is the best action movie ever made in my list. When Matrix released on its time, thiz movie created many breakthrough on world cinema. Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, who is just recently popular in thiz movie. They just known previously as small budget film Director, BOUND (1996). Later, the movie has two more sequels MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTION in 2003. You can almost classify the Stars of thiz movie as B-Class Casts, except Keanu Reeves, but still the outcome is beyond the expectations. Each of the characters like: Neo (Keanu Reeves), Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) , even the villain Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) already become a legendary icon in the industries. One of the fervencies of thiz movie is on the action scene. The fight scene is something new and different, which follows later by other movies. Behind that extraordinary fight scene is well-known Martial Arts Choreographer, Yuen Woo Ping. Woo Ping is the man behind CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON(2000), KILL BILL (2003),THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM (2008), even Jackie Chan classic action SNAKE IN THE EAGLE SHADOW (1978). His experiences in a lot of Asian movies made him effective. The movie definitely exceed beyond our imagination. In fact, many people did not understand entirely the story of THE MATRIX, there are still many blank spot to question about. The Content of the movie fills with great philosophies inside. It seemed to me Wachowski Brothers discovered successfully how to make a brilliant concept from some of religions. The essence is not that simple as appear to be, Actually we will always have something new, every time we watch it.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  26. Mar 4, 2013
    This is the most interesting and original action/drama I have seen in a long time! The special effects and the slo-mo looked astonishingly real. The acting and the development was great. The Wachowski siblings did a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!
  27. Apr 16, 2015
    The Matrix is one of the best movies that I've seen. The special effects, actors, everything in this movie is very well chosen and managed to be one of the best movie I've seen.
  28. Jul 22, 2016
    The Matrix is awesome. Cool effects, a great cast, great performances, great writing, and epic action make for an amazing viewing experience. I would consider it a classic like any other.
  29. Jan 12, 2013
    After all those years this still remains probably the most perfect scifi action movie to date (together with T2). Maybe it only has 415 VFX shots (a romantic comedy these days has more vfx shots) but they are all used where they count the most and they still hold up very well for an almost 14 year old film. The Blu-ray transfer is absolutely exellent and as good as a 35mm on BD can everAfter all those years this still remains probably the most perfect scifi action movie to date (together with T2). Maybe it only has 415 VFX shots (a romantic comedy these days has more vfx shots) but they are all used where they count the most and they still hold up very well for an almost 14 year old film. The Blu-ray transfer is absolutely exellent and as good as a 35mm on BD can ever look. There's not a scratch to be seen, not the slightest woble and just the right amount of grain (no NR). Some have complained about the colors but for me they look as they should be (the Matrix world a bit more greenish than the real world) and the detail in the black levels (of which there are allot) is perfect (on the first DVD release they were a bit mushy). The Dolby 5.1 sound of the DVD was already superb but here you get it in an uncompressed TrueHD track. Expand
  30. Feb 23, 2015
    the only thing that even comes close to this is LOTR....but this is even more anti gov than anything i've ever heard of.....therefore this movie number 1 despite the sequels.....the fact that he gets covered in a mirror only makes metaphorical sense but like it a lot...the fact that the first cops are already dead is kinda lame....who cares....also who cares that morphius can only guidethe only thing that even comes close to this is LOTR....but this is even more anti gov than anything i've ever heard of.....therefore this movie number 1 despite the sequels.....the fact that he gets covered in a mirror only makes metaphorical sense but like it a lot...the fact that the first cops are already dead is kinda lame....who cares....also who cares that morphius can only guide neo to evade the agents in the beginning.....that seriously might be all thats wrong with it .....whats wrong with me now is the question....- JRA Expand
  31. Apr 4, 2016
    ...................................................................................................................................................................A Masterpiece movie of sci-fi & action, with a smart script...
  32. Apr 30, 2016
    oh yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy like the colade man................................................................................................
  33. Apr 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loving the action sequences and special effects to this very day, I had my eyes focused on the situation on who is the matrix and how to know what it is from beginning to end, and filled me with lots of questions on reality(but knowing its not true and meant for entertainment)

A spectacular thrill ride in the style of a cyber update of Alice in Wonderland, Keeanu Reeves plays Neo, a computer hack who unlocks the secret of the matrix and fines himself thrown into the deep underworld of reality where the discovery that interstellar machines have exploited the human race for generations, is uncovered. Neo is found by the rebellion and their leader Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) who believes Neo is the chosen one, and they both set out to survive with freedom in their hands, and the Matrix is sending enemies closing in on them.

though it was kind of flawed looking, it is still a great movie that could have been the next star wars hadn't its sequels been so awful other than that one of the most action packed sic-fi fantasies ever shown on the big screen

which pill would you choose?
  34. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give matrix a 9.5 out of 10. Visuals are great, and so are the action sequences. They're really epic, plus they're great to watch. Score is great. The story is also very good to. Acting is really good. Everyone does a great job throughout the movie. Overall, The Matrix is a great sic-fi action blockbuster that a great movie to watch. You really should watch this movie.
  35. Dec 6, 2012
    Average User Score: 8.7
    10 The Matrix Image The Matrix takes mystery school concepts and philosophies of Gnosticism, Eastern religions, Western Religions and even ideas from the Natural Law movement and blends them together to create a cryptic, symbolic action film. Everything in this movie has occult meaning, but it's up to us, the viewers to figure out what that meaning
    Average User Score: 8.7
    The Matrix Image
    The Matrix takes mystery school concepts and philosophies of Gnosticism, Eastern religions, Western Religions and even ideas from the Natural Law movement and blends them together to create a cryptic, symbolic action film. Everything in this movie has occult meaning, but it's up to us, the viewers to figure out what that meaning is. This movie is like a puzzle. But this is all done in a very cool, entertaining way with awesome special effects (cutting edge at the time it was released) and great memorable action scenes, some which have greatly influenced the special effects of Hollywood movies produced afterwards. My only complaint about this movie is the way the love of Neo by Trinity is revealed, I mean you have no idea and I remember in the theater myself and everyone around me groaning since the whole love story in action films thing has been done to death and this seemed so cliche. The love between Trinity and Neo is very important to the trinity in the long run but imo it could have been introduced in a much better manner, maybe some flirting scenes leading up to it because you just don't see it coming at all which makes it really unrealistic. But other than that a great, epic movie.

The Matrix (and the entire Matrix Trilogy) is like an onion, it has many layers of meaning, and every-time I watch it I notice something new. Definitely a masterpiece with profound hidden meaning and my favourite movie off all time to this day. 10/10
  36. Feb 27, 2016
    The Matrix was (in 1999) a complete revolution in Hollywood film-making. Combining state of the art CGI effects, proper old-school Hong Kong style fight choreography, and an intelligent, well written story... It comes together and creates an instant classic.

It's one of those 'where were you when you first saw it' movies, that resonate for years afterwards in your own mind. Asking questions about human existence, free will, fate, morality, duality of self... It's a philosophical debate hiding inside a kick-ass action movie.

It's one of the most 'complete' films too, with an ending that makes sense and leaves the imagination to wonder what might actually happen.

Two vastly inferior 'cash-grab' sequels followed, no doubt at the insistence of a studio desperate for more, and probably used as a gun to the head to the Wachowski Brothers.

It's not a perfect movie, the whole 'Jesus' paradigm is a little forced, and the much lauded 'bullet time' special effect now looks very dated!

But, forget the sequels, watch the original. If you've never seen it, I guarantee it won't disappoint.
  37. Sep 30, 2011
    i absolutely loved the spectacular future vision! it must have taken quite the imagination to come up with such a future for our earth. the action is unmatched too.
  38. Feb 9, 2013
    Well, after all these years of gaming communities being inspired by it as well as parodies from other films. I finally watched it. The film is confusing in some ways but it really makes you think. The film is very entertaining and has very impressive CGI for 1999. It's definitely worth watching.
  39. Jun 30, 2014
    People have been telling me to watch this movie for the past 3 years. I only just recently sat down to watch it. And good God am I happy that I did. The whole premise of the movie is awesome. Evil robots against rebel humans is all you have to say and I'll be sold. To top it all off, the action is still awesome 15 years later. As far as action movies go, this is one of the best I've seenPeople have been telling me to watch this movie for the past 3 years. I only just recently sat down to watch it. And good God am I happy that I did. The whole premise of the movie is awesome. Evil robots against rebel humans is all you have to say and I'll be sold. To top it all off, the action is still awesome 15 years later. As far as action movies go, this is one of the best I've seen in a while.
    There are a few small flaws. At times the acting can be average, and there is one very glaring plot hole (I won't go into details due to spoilers). However these issues are not significant enough to hurt the experience.
  40. Jan 17, 2015
    My third favorite movie ever and one of the four films I consider to be perfect. While Keanu Reeves delivers his usual grade of acting, he more than makes up for it as the badass hero. The premise, while questionable from a logical standpoint, is haunting and deeply thought-provoking. The effects still hold up today and give the action sequences a special charm. Oh, and the ending isMy third favorite movie ever and one of the four films I consider to be perfect. While Keanu Reeves delivers his usual grade of acting, he more than makes up for it as the badass hero. The premise, while questionable from a logical standpoint, is haunting and deeply thought-provoking. The effects still hold up today and give the action sequences a special charm. Oh, and the ending is just one of the most satisfying ever.

The Matrix is definitely a 10/10 in my book.
  41. Jun 1, 2012
    Classic thought provoking movie that revolutionized 360 camera spins and slow motion in movies and tv.
  42. May 9, 2015

Keanu Reeves is not generally regarded as a strong actor, but, given the right part - one that doesn't demand much subtlety or emoting - he can be effective. His role as Neo fits the criteria. The Matrix needs a leading man who can look good, act cool, and not stumble over his dialogue, and Reeves is three for three. It's easily his best work since Speed, where the same kinds of demands were made of him. For more nuanced performances, the Wachowskis rely on the rest of the cast: the always excellent Laurence Fishburne, brilliant character actor Joe Pantoliano (who appeared in Bound), and Carrie-Anne Moss, who looks great in black leather. Aussie Hugo Weaving (Proof) brings the perfect mix of dry wit and menace to his role as the head Man in Black.

43. Oct 14, 2015
    Someone roll in the green screen...

Someone roll in the green screen...

The Wachowski brothers did an excellent job with this movie. The story is very interesting and the camera work is refreshing at the time, especially the special effects like bullet-time. Also the stunts like running on walls, dodging bullets and kung fu that excels any laws of gravity. And the camera always follows the actors even if they run on roofs, jump from building to building, through windows into the next building...

Keanu Reeves is not the best actor but he's perfect in the role of the cool Neo and you gotta admit he looks good in black. Carrie-Anne Moss is a good counterpart for Neo. And then there's of course Hugo Weaving as agent Smith who...talks........ really................................................ slow.

The real question burning on everybody's lips is naturally: are we really living in the Matrix? For the answer on that question please turn this page.
  44. Mar 22, 2016
    After scoring an art-house hit with the small-scale, tightly plotted, highly enjoyable thriller Bound—which took off once the requisite overdone Zalman King-style lesbian sex had been taken care of—the Wachowski Brothers (Andy and Larry) have gone big, made a movie for über-producer Joel Silver, thrown in loads of special effects, and cast Johnny Mnemonic star Keanu Reeves in the lead. AndAfter scoring an art-house hit with the small-scale, tightly plotted, highly enjoyable thriller Bound—which took off once the requisite overdone Zalman King-style lesbian sex had been taken care of—the Wachowski Brothers (Andy and Larry) have gone big, made a movie for über-producer Joel Silver, thrown in loads of special effects, and cast Johnny Mnemonic star Keanu Reeves in the lead. And damned if it doesn't work.

In The Matrix, a surprisingly tolerable Reeves plays a pasty computer hacker who begins to receive mysterious messages from an unknown source. Shortly after encountering a bunch of identical-looking authority figures, he hooks up with a mysterious band of outsiders led by Laurence Fishburne and Carrie-Anne Moss (Models Inc.) who clue him in that nothing around him is as it appears. Story-wise, nothing in The Matrix will surprise too many people: In addition to resembling both in concept and content the worthwhile Dark City, there's not much more to it than ideas about the subjectivity of reality reworked from Descartes, Philip K. Dick, and William Gibson and channeled into an operatic science-fiction metaphor about non-conformity (and drug use).

But the Wachowskis do it so playfully well, keeping The Matrix's potentially confusing plot intelligible, intelligent, and suspenseful, that it doesn't matter. As far as sheer spectacle goes, it's the most exciting thing to come along in quite a while. Where other films are done in by the freedom offered by computer effects, The Matrix integrates them beautifully, making fetus-tending robots, helicopters gently collapsing into buildings, and elaborate, gravity-defying kung-fu fighting seem like perfectly plausible elements of the universe it creates, a universe that deserves to be seen.
  45. Dec 28, 2012
    Though it is neither as original or as good as the average sci-fi fan would make it out to be, THe Matrix features a rather intelligent plot, eye-popping action sequences that will leave you satisfied.
  46. Jul 31, 2014
    As far as special effects go, The Matrix was probably the most cutting edge thing seen in its time! However, as disappointed as I am to say this, the story started strong but dissolves to a jumbled up mess about half way through. This being said, the pay off in the end as far as acting and the story picking itself back up does make it worth watching!
  47. Apr 19, 2015
    Hacker Neo (Reeves) is sought out to save the world. In order to do this he find out that his consciousness is part of a Matrix that keeps human bodies redendant and occupies their minds with a false reality. Is he "The One" to save humanity from destruction?

What sounds like some web freak's wet dream is, in fact, a dazzlingly nifty slice of sci-fi cool. The Wachowski Brothers (Andy and Larry - last seen dabbling in kinky lesbian noir with the excellent Bound) pulling off something like a million masterstrokes all at once. Taking the imprimatur of the video game, they meld the grungy noir of Blade Runner, the hyperkinetic energies of chopsocky, John Woo hardware and grandiose spiritual overtones into William Gibson's cyberpunk ethos to produce a new aesthetic for the millennium powered to the thudding beat of techno. And it is just incredible fun. The key is the technique of "flo-mo", a process born from Japanese animation, whereby an object in motion is seemingly frozen while the camera miraculously spins around it as if time and gravity are on hold. It grants the action (including some killer kung fu which Reeves and crew spent months perfecting) liberty to take on surreal visual highs. Superhuman feats permissible, of course, in the context of VR as the rebels download Herculean "talents" to fuel their subterfuge. Meanwhile, the audience can only gawp longingly, with its jaws thunking to the cinema floor in unison, as the heroes wrapped in skintight leather, sleek shades and designer cheekbones, spin up walls, leap from high rises and slip through streams of bullets in silken slo-mo. Tron this ain't.

The deliciously inventive Wachowskis have delivered the syntax for a new kind of movie: technically mind-blowing, style merged perfectly with content and just so damn cool. However, as much as i love this film just the thought of the sequels prevent this from my VERY RARE perfect 10 score.

Sorry.
  48. Aug 27, 2011
    I was nearly bored to death during the first 90 mins of this movie. But the final escape and fight scenes were so outstanding that i couldn't even stop to breathe. If the whole of film were as exciting as the final part, then this would be the best movie i have ever watched...
  49. Sep 30, 2013
    [7.1] It may not be the most thoughtful dystopian film, but it is certainly thrilling. The heavily stylized action is depicted with a bizarre but incredible atmosphere which is what makes the film so captivating. If it weren't for the outdated visual effects (that were of course outstanding for the time), the film might actually be believable and feel real. It isn't quite the science[7.1] It may not be the most thoughtful dystopian film, but it is certainly thrilling. The heavily stylized action is depicted with a bizarre but incredible atmosphere which is what makes the film so captivating. If it weren't for the outdated visual effects (that were of course outstanding for the time), the film might actually be believable and feel real. It isn't quite the science fiction experience of newer films like Avatar and Star Trek, but it was a pioneer of great action films. Expand
  50. Feb 11, 2012
    The late '90s were a period in film that saw a sudden resurgence in science fiction. The quickly approaching Y2K symbolised a time of transition, wonder, and technological advancement. Though these positives are reflected in The Matrix, it is mostly the negative aspects of the new millennium's dawn that it feeds upon. Paranoia, uncertainty, and fear are the themes that the film addressesThe late '90s were a period in film that saw a sudden resurgence in science fiction. The quickly approaching Y2K symbolised a time of transition, wonder, and technological advancement. Though these positives are reflected in The Matrix, it is mostly the negative aspects of the new millennium's dawn that it feeds upon. Paranoia, uncertainty, and fear are the themes that the film addresses like no other in Hollywood at the time, while simultaneously being action-packed and visually stunning. What The Matrix is perhaps most well known for, however, is its complex, engaging plot that almost any viewer can relate to. All of this is delivered with superb direction, making full use of subtle nuances and symbolism to embellish the story. The only misstep lies in the casting of Reeves, who is so painfully uncharismatic and distant in his performance that it's puzzling how he could ever be the chosen one of anything. Expand
  51. Oct 19, 2011
    The movie can be a bit confusing at times and hard to follow, but it all makes sense the further you dive into the movie. It's a great movie full of action and great effects. It isn't an ordinary movie in terms of the storyline and plot, but it is good. The twist through the middle is great, and it is another movie that can be watched over and over in my opinion. A fantastic movie that hasThe movie can be a bit confusing at times and hard to follow, but it all makes sense the further you dive into the movie. It's a great movie full of action and great effects. It isn't an ordinary movie in terms of the storyline and plot, but it is good. The twist through the middle is great, and it is another movie that can be watched over and over in my opinion. A fantastic movie that has added a tiny bit of sci-fi through it, without really involving aliens much, a great watch! Expand
  52. Apr 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Get this: what if all we know as reality was, in fact, virtual reality? Reality itself is a ravaged dystopia run by technocrat Artificial Intelligence where humankind vegetates in billions of gloop-filled tanks - mere battery packs for the machineworld - being fed this late '90s VR (known as The Matrix - you with us here?) through an ugly great cable stuck in the back of our heads. And what if there was a group of quasi-spiritual rebels infiltrating The Matrix with the sole purpose of crashing the ruddy great mainframe and rescuing humans from their unknown purgatory? And, hey, what if Keanu Reeves was their Messiah?

Immediately reigniting the moribund cyberpunk genre (the kids can't get enough Stateside), this has thrust Reeves from his imploding career back to Speed highs (and laying to rest the hideous ghost of Johnny Mnemonic) and stolen much more of Star Wars' thunder than was thought humanly possible. For all its loony plot, The Matrix is fabulous.

Sure, the expert Fishburne is depended upon to expound the lion's share of the script as seer-like rebel leader Morpheus. Reeves, stunning in his newcast slenderness, as Thomas "Neo" Anderson, the hacker turned hope for all mankind (care of some ill-defined mystical calling) is asked little more than perpetual befuddlement. Like Speed, though, this movie plays on his iconic looks rather than his oak-like emoting. There's a major find, too, in the irresistible Carrie-Anne Moss, a majestically wrought combination of steely **** intelligence and rock-chick vivaciousness as fellow tripper Trinity. And Weaving, cast against type, neutralises his Aussie tones to a freaky deadpan, the head of the MiB-styled defence system set against the Goth invaders.

And sure, three minutes of post-movie deliberation and all this state-of-the-art cyberdevilry is reduced to the purest **** That, though, is not the point. The Matrix is about pure experience; it's been many a moon since the Empire crew have spilled out of a cinema literally buzzing with the sensation of a movie, babbling frenetically with the sheer excitement of discovery.

From head to tail, the deliciously inventive Wachowskis (watch them skyrocket) have delivered the syntax for a new kind of movie: technically mind-blowing, style merged perfectly with content and just so damn cool, the usher will have to drag you kicking and screaming back into reality. You can bet your bottom dollar George never saw this phantom menace coming.

Verdict
  53. Dec 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'You think that's air you're breathing right now?' The Matrix whips up a feast of special effects, dialogue as well as sub textual meaning. Stellar performances by Reeves, Fishburne and of course Hugo Weaving as the indomitable Agent Smith, ensure that this movie sits rightly on the pantheon of classic sci-fi movies-wicked. The Wachowski brothers outdid themselves; using the Sydney CBD and the hovercraft to provide a dystopian setting, suitable for the new millennium. 5 Stars (from a biased Sydneysider). Expand
  54. Mar 13, 2016

I loved The Matrix, and only a few minor contrivances associated with the climax caused the film to miss a four-star rating. The movie is kinetic, atmospheric, visually stunning, and mind-bending. It toys with the boundaries between reality and fantasy in unique and interesting ways. In its approach and content, it reminded me of last year's vastly underrated Dark City. There's also a synergy with two movies due to be released within the next month: David Cronenberg's eXistenZ and Alejandro Amenabar's Open Your Eyes. The Matrix is undeniably science fiction, but, unlike most pictures claiming that association, it never falls into the boring, expected patterns of space battles and laser gun shoot-outs. Instead, it ventures into territory that, while not virgin, is sufficiently interesting to provide an involving, invigorating backdrop.

55. Feb 14, 2013
    Quite possibly one of the greatest action movies of all time. The world of the matrix is so intriguing you can't help but be hooked on what the movie throws at you. Great characters, a gripping story and some great special effects even over 10 years later.
  56. Jul 10, 2011
    An excellent movie with tons of special effects, fight scenes, etc., and the best thing is that they are all done perfectly. A really good film with an interesting story behind it. YOU'LL ENJOY IT.
  57. May 3, 2014
    I strongly recommend this film; it's a golden experience that will change your life for the better.

The effects still look great even fifteen years later. The story offers much food for thought. Morpheus, Neo, and Trinity transcend mere character into archetype. But who HASN'T felt as if this life is something less than it seems? This stands alongside 'Serenity' among science-fiction cinema's greatest champions of human liberation and truth. If you care about your mind, see this. You will not be disappointed.
  58. Apr 22, 2016
    in case you've been living under a rock THIS is the movie that defines all good movies. this movie is to movies what engines are to cars, what sugar is to cake and what chicken is to KFC..
  59. Aug 24, 2011
    In my top ten movies of all time. What a shame the sequels sputtered out or this Trilogy could have been the most epic in the history of film making. Could have been our generation's STAR WARS. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.
  60. Jul 25, 2013
    This is a good movie with some good actions. There are some flaws but in general this is a successful movie. I don't particularly like this movie that much myself but I would recommend seeing it.
  61. Nov 11, 2014
    One of my favorite movies of all time that changed the face of special effects in movies forever. This film is a must see for action fans and sci-fi fans. This movie is a true masterpiece.
  62. Jun 8, 2014
    Really recommend this movie (not the sequels however). Good plot and storyline, nice special effects (not too overdone) and if you can overlook the plot holes and suspend disbelief, your in for a great ride!
  63. Jun 6, 2011
    Groundbreaking synthesis of East meats West, in a brilliant sci-fi mind-scape.

...trippy, cool, and fun ride all around.

Forget the sequels, they suck
  64. May 6, 2015

65. Dec 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Matrix is an awesome movie. I mean it's really the thinking man's action movie. What the wachowski brothers did with this film was amazing. The Kung-Fu action sequences were incredible, done to perfection. plus the bullet time sequences were so cool, nothing else compares. I just loved this awesome man's movie. Love it, Love it. Expand
  66. Oct 11, 2013
    This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Amazing special effects, surprisingly good acting, an interesting, different but yet soothing and epic soundtrack, and non stop action makes this movie amazing.
  67. Feb 10, 2012
    The best thing about the Matrix is the fact that it's such a brilliant, brilliant idea. The world you live in is virtual. In reality, you are an energy source in a jelly sac harvested by a race of machines... It makes me think of so many things... and I thought of whether I would take the blue pill or the red pill... you know, I'd probably take the blue pill.
  68. Jan 15, 2012
    This movie was a well done action movie. It has some problems with the story line, but the action scenes are undeniably astonishing. This movie introduced the Slow Motion concept to other movie makers, and it has been a hit ever since. I would definitely consider this movie to be a modern classic action film. The movie certainly goes above and beyond the standard 90's movie.
  69. Jan 7, 2016

70. Oct 17, 2015
    This is a film of serious philosophical depth and insight. The Matrix also overflows with religious allusions and parallels from Christianity and Buddhism. Although The Matrix may seem loaded with stunning visuals only for the sake of visceral enjoyment at first, there is a profound interplay between the action and the underlying meanings of the film. The infrastructural visuals also giveThis is a film of serious philosophical depth and insight. The Matrix also overflows with religious allusions and parallels from Christianity and Buddhism. Although The Matrix may seem loaded with stunning visuals only for the sake of visceral enjoyment at first, there is a profound interplay between the action and the underlying meanings of the film. The infrastructural visuals also give us a glimpse of this duality. While the world of the Matrix is portrayed as homogeneous, predictable, and tinted a sickly green, the real world is portrayed as dark, earthy and tinted a mysterious indigo. Expand
  71. Sep 10, 2011
    Despite TRON being my all time, video game related movies of all time, The Matrix is my all time bad ass, cool, computer/hacker movies. I find it hard NOT to love. It has action, martial arts so the 'easily entertained by action' viewers can have something, the 'computer goers' like myself have something to get into and when it's all thrown together it makes the perfect combination ofDespite TRON being my all time, video game related movies of all time, The Matrix is my all time bad ass, cool, computer/hacker movies. I find it hard NOT to love. It has action, martial arts so the 'easily entertained by action' viewers can have something, the 'computer goers' like myself have something to get into and when it's all thrown together it makes the perfect combination of action and story. Expand
  72. Dec 11, 2013
    A mind-bending movie. The story of Neo, a computer hacker who learns that the entire world is simply a dream created by machines to keep human's minds occupied so they can be harvested for energy, is incredible, simply because one day it may actually happen. The fights are incredibly choreographed, and the special effects were revolutionary for their time, and still hold up today. BuckleA mind-bending movie. The story of Neo, a computer hacker who learns that the entire world is simply a dream created by machines to keep human's minds occupied so they can be harvested for energy, is incredible, simply because one day it may actually happen. The fights are incredibly choreographed, and the special effects were revolutionary for their time, and still hold up today. Buckle up and prepare for The Matrix! (and its crappy sequels). Expand
  73. Nov 29, 2011
    The best sci-fi movie of its time.
    Excellent original soundtrack
    I still keep the thinking as a reference for some of my work and my everyday life. Loved it.
  74. Jan 7, 2012
    Amazing, definitely a timeless masterpiece. Some of the utmost original storylines of science-fiction genre, introducing a brilliant and new reality that will break with all the standards and blow away your mind. The perfect combination between action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat and reflective dialogues concerning the movie's very deep theme. Additionally, theAmazing, definitely a timeless masterpiece. Some of the utmost original storylines of science-fiction genre, introducing a brilliant and new reality that will break with all the standards and blow away your mind. The perfect combination between action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat and reflective dialogues concerning the movie's very deep theme. Additionally, the technical production is astonishing with very good graphic special effects that form an unbelievably awesome visual appeal. Truly a must-watch production that will not leave you unchanged. Expand
  75. Apr 22, 2013
    Brilliant concept, perhaps a little more thought could have been given to the plot details, but most of this movie is for the eyes! The acting is amazing for a 1990's action film and undoubtedly one of my all-time favourites. The top-of-the-time CGI is breathtaking, spawning many cultural references to the 'Matrix Move' made popular by this film. Overall, this movie is extremelyBrilliant concept, perhaps a little more thought could have been given to the plot details, but most of this movie is for the eyes! The acting is amazing for a 1990's action film and undoubtedly one of my all-time favourites. The top-of-the-time CGI is breathtaking, spawning many cultural references to the 'Matrix Move' made popular by this film. Overall, this movie is extremely entertaining and will always be a favourite amongst many. Expand
  76. Oct 19, 2011
    Sure some things aren't perfect, and it can be kind of...meh, but it is still a fantastic movie. The whole concept is very interesting, making you think for a brief moment "what if that's real?" And on top of that, it is funny, dramatic, and has great action scenes. I think it's a great ride of 90's movies.
  77. Jun 8, 2013
    This is the best sci-fi movie ever made, together with Star Wars IV and V, of course. I can't tell you much about it. You REALLY need to watch it so you can make conclusions.
  78. May 10, 2011
    I feel bad for those morons who think The Matrix sucks. this is a brilliant movie full of epic nonstop action. If you like movie with awsome acting,music, and badass slo-motion fight scenes, etc. then get this, if you aren't... well buy Legend of the Guardians.
  79. Jul 5, 2012
    The Matrix was a damn good movie. This is review for the first movie because the other ones are in a different category (Matrix Reload, Matrix Revolutions). The movie starts off with the audience saying, "what the hell is going on." You don't have to wait until the end of movie to understand it. About forty minutes into the movie you should understand it. There is some guy Neo that isThe Matrix was a damn good movie. This is review for the first movie because the other ones are in a different category (Matrix Reload, Matrix Revolutions). The movie starts off with the audience saying, "what the hell is going on." You don't have to wait until the end of movie to understand it. About forty minutes into the movie you should understand it. There is some guy Neo that is living in a dreamworld which is basically a huge computer program (that would be a butt load of html). He eventually gets out of the dreamworld and is free. If you want to know the rest you should see it. Neo is played by Keanu Reeves (Speed), Agent Smith is the elf dude from Lord of the Rings, and Morphis can be found in Pee Wee's Playhouse (not kidding). I believe that this movie helped change plot lines for movies. This movie makes the audience confused for awhile yet the movie still kicks ass. It seemed like many movies were sticking with simple plot lines with bombs and terrorists, etc. Now we have movies that are confusing like Shutter Island and Inception. The special effects in the movie are really good. You cant tell what was computer created which is something that is not always present in today's movies. If you have not seen this movie then you should buy and see it, because it is a movie that can be seen over and over again (the second and third Matrix movies are disappointing; so I would advice you not to necessarily buy those. Expand
  80. Sep 19, 2012
    Great movie. A beautiful mix of action and thought-provoking ideas. Deserves a 10 for sure. This movie is a great movie to rent if you want a great thought provoking movie like Inception, with non-stop action. The special effects are a little cheesy though.
  81. Jan 15, 2011
    No matter how mush times you watch this, its always entertaining. The story is very deep, the cast is great and the special effects are still good even if this game out more 11 years ago.
  82. Jan 12, 2012
    After I have seen The Matrix, I instantly placed it at the #1 spot of the list of my favorite movies. Since then, 13 years has passed, I have seen over a hundred new movies. The Matrix still occupies that top spot. Inception was good, but no where near The Matrix good. If you haven't seen The Matrix series, I pity you, for you have missed the BEST movie ever made, go see it NOW!
  83. Sep 6, 2013
    A really great and deep movie. Very interesting plot that will have you thinking alot once it finishes. WIll simply blow your mind away, a must watch!
  84. Apr 26, 2014
    The beginning of the movie for me was very confusing but by the end all your questions will be answered. The slo-mo and CGI make the tricks a whole lot better.
  85. Jan 6, 2012
    Beautifully filmed and written. Best film of all time. The charcters are so real and engaging, the settings are perfect and I couldn't find a single fault if I tried.
  86. Sep 3, 2012
    I don't really get why so many people have given this a bad score.The movie has flaws,such as the ridiculous stunts in some of the scenes,but that is really the concept of this movie.Something unreal,something out of the ordinary.The visual effects are stunning for a movie made in the 90s.The fighting scenes is what really keeps you interested in this movie,they are epic but also veryI don't really get why so many people have given this a bad score.The movie has flaws,such as the ridiculous stunts in some of the scenes,but that is really the concept of this movie.Something unreal,something out of the ordinary.The visual effects are stunning for a movie made in the 90s.The fighting scenes is what really keeps you interested in this movie,they are epic but also very entertaining.As said above,there are some weird movements in these scenes,where the actors defy gravity and such,but,as said above,that was the point of the movie.The acting was good,not great,but good.For an action movie where the acting isn't all that matters,the actors made a descent effort at making the scenes as realistic as they could get.
    In conclusion,this movie has everything you need for an action pack Saturday night.
  87. Aug 18, 2013
    This movie is one the top 10 of all time. Most of the movies out there never satisfied me very well but I think The Matrix is a masterpiece. I maybe do not agree with all the concepts in the movie but the story just makes you think about every aspect of your life again. Each time you watch this movie you will understand more of it. The most remarkable thing about The Matrix is, theThis movie is one the top 10 of all time. Most of the movies out there never satisfied me very well but I think The Matrix is a masterpiece. I maybe do not agree with all the concepts in the movie but the story just makes you think about every aspect of your life again. Each time you watch this movie you will understand more of it. The most remarkable thing about The Matrix is, the directors have thought about every single scene in the movie and if you pay more attention you will find signs and symbols all over the places! Watch this movie more than once! Expand
  88. Dec 12, 2013
    Easily the best movies ever made. Amazing action and story, great acting, too. I don't want to spoil anything because this is too good, just watch it. You will crap your pants, at the sheer awesomeness.

And don't forget all of the unforgettable lines like "Not like this, not like this"

Watch this movie or I will find you, I will hurt you, then I will kill you.
  89. Oct 23, 2015
    The Matrix. What can i say about it? It's an iconic movie. It created this huge popular phenomenon around it where almost everyone knows about the movie. The first and second act of the movie were really mind blowing and captivating. Unfortunately, The Wachowski brothers cinematography looks dated now, and the third act doesn't hold up anymore. All in all, it's a great movie. GreatThe Matrix. What can i say about it? It's an iconic movie. It created this huge popular phenomenon around it where almost everyone knows about the movie. The first and second act of the movie were really mind blowing and captivating. Unfortunately, The Wachowski brothers cinematography looks dated now, and the third act doesn't hold up anymore. All in all, it's a great movie. Great casting, good memorable characters, and the movie itself is very quote-able. Expand
  90. Dec 22, 2015
    Not the best movie of all time, but I really appreciate ambitious movies that are full of interesting ideas. The matrix is certainly ambitious and has many new, interesting ideas. A lot of fun to watch.
  91. MikeN.
    Feb 10, 2004
    You see a lot of reviews at Metacritic complaining about how "overrated" such and such a movie is. Well please allow me to nominate The Matrix as the Most Under-rated Movie here. The Matrix is more intelligent, more stylish, more exciting and better looking than any other movie made in the last twenty years. It is probably the best Science Fiction movie ever made, far better than such You see a lot of reviews at Metacritic complaining about how "overrated" such and such a movie is. Well please allow me to nominate The Matrix as the Most Under-rated Movie here. The Matrix is more intelligent, more stylish, more exciting and better looking than any other movie made in the last twenty years. It is probably the best Science Fiction movie ever made, far better than such pretenders as Blade Runner or Forbidden Planet and challenged in stature only by the beauty and mystery of 2001 and by the pure popcorn entertainment of Star Wars. Expand
  92. R.Lopez
    Sep 6, 2009
    When I first saw this movie when I was twelve I didn't think much of it, I thought it had a confusing story and a mindless plot that was supported and only succeeded by out of this world slow motion stunts. Boy was I naive or what!? Now seeing it again after all these years I could see that I was not ready back then to handle a movie of this complexity and strange coherent means of When I first saw this movie when I was twelve I didn't think much of it, I thought it had a confusing story and a mindless plot that was supported and only succeeded by out of this world slow motion stunts. Boy was I naive or what!? Now seeing it again after all these years I could see that I was not ready back then to handle a movie of this complexity and strange coherent means of story telling. But now I fully respect and love this movie for what it is and for what it always will be, mindbogglingly, mind blowing, out of this world fun. When the Matrix was released in 1999 this was the film to go see people were busting out of the theater's and telling anyone they can to go see this movie. It was the "It" movie of the year and it gained the title justly. This film mapped out new territory in action and ushered in a whole new generation of action & Sci-Fi thrillers and video games as well(Max Payne comes to mind) it is one of the biggest and most beloved film of the 90's and has one of the biggest fan base out there. This movie unique and I mean unique story and style has such and impact on you when you first see it you'll want to see it the minute it's over and some more after that and after that and you'll want to see it a million times it's just that good. The Matrix put's a Gothic and dark spin on the dystopia and apocalyptic themes that have become very common in Sci-Fi films, this film does it one better it takes those overly used themes and creates a completely original and unique world around which everything we Believe is a lie. It has a great monolithic tone to it that makes it a masterpiece by any standards and it creates a great aftershock in which few films can actually do these days. It purposes that machines while enslave humanity and use us as a battery source to power there vasts armies of machines around the world. But that's what makes it so great to watch it gives you a sense of hope and a sense of justice that you just feel all the way to your bones. This movie has given the fellow movie goer what they've always wanted and always searched for in a film, great action, a smart story and plot, acting you can live with and put them all together and what do you got? The Matrix! This movie will stick with long after it's over and even after tour old you'll still remember one movie that rocked your world like none other. All in all this film delivers great any day entertainment that is like Laurence Fishburn said, " Unfortunately no one can be told what the Matrix is you have to see it for yourself." And trust me once you do you won't ever look at Sci-Fi or other movies the same way again. This movie delivers. Expand
  93. PsychoMantis
    Apr 8, 2002
    Sure, its great the first time and the story is thought provoking as are its subtle oulooks on various things, but I really couldn't stand the acting much and there's too much fat in between the action scenes. The action scenes ARE great though, especially the lobby scene, one of the coolest parts in a movie but that doesn't compensate for other things that drain the film, Sure, its great the first time and the story is thought provoking as are its subtle oulooks on various things, but I really couldn't stand the acting much and there's too much fat in between the action scenes. The action scenes ARE great though, especially the lobby scene, one of the coolest parts in a movie but that doesn't compensate for other things that drain the film, Such as the "agents" or whatever they're called, I know theyre mechanical or whatever but for gods sake do they really have to be so monotone "Blaaa blaaa blaaa" ugh. And then, a few scenes I'm sure you'll look back on and just laugh at how lame they are, such as the little gay kung fu fight between Neo and Morpheous cool at 1st, lame the next few times. I'd rent this and then decide whether or not it'll get old for you like it has with me. Expand
  94. RosieK.
    Jun 30, 2002
    This film is very fictitious, but entertaining.
  95. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    The radical premise, hip cast (Keanu's best performance), kickin soundtrack and provocative philosophy combine to "blow your mind". "Whoa"
  96. SarahK.
    Mar 17, 2003
    I'm suprised at the lack of intelligiance many viewers who gave it bad rating had. For instance, on person thought the idead of alternate worlds was "unimaginative". I'd like to see you think up something like this. "The visual effects were the only good thing about this movie..." First of all, WHY do you think the special effects were there?! To make the movie cooler? NO! They I'm suprised at the lack of intelligiance many viewers who gave it bad rating had. For instance, on person thought the idead of alternate worlds was "unimaginative". I'd like to see you think up something like this. "The visual effects were the only good thing about this movie..." First of all, WHY do you think the special effects were there?! To make the movie cooler? NO! They were apart of the storyline. Did you pay attention to the storyline? I think not. You sound like one of those people who gave the first Lord of the Rings movie a bad rating. As for S.F Chronicle...lately, they've been giving bad ratings to some great movies (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Signs, and much more....), "well-worth-seeing"s to some movies that needed the highest rating (Spirited Away) and giving their best ratings to some movies that weren't something to hop out of your chair about (Tuck Everlasting, The Ring). Never trust S.F. chronicle... "The Matrix" also provided us with some special qualities that other masterpiece sci-fi films had, including: "Akira", "Minority Report", and "Ghost in Shell". It was NOT a copy of these films! It was just added to the list of sci-fi masterpieces! Expand
  97. VincenzoC.
    Jun 24, 2003
    Blew the second flick away.
  98. ChristopherG.
    Aug 4, 2003
    Like the previous Dr. D, this is anexcelent movie, had me laughing the whole way through. It's nice to see a movie once in a while with no extemely vulgar langage in it. What has happened to the movie industry? The only movies we seem to get are full of sex and nasty langage. Is this what THEY think the public wants? I say not. 10 thumbs up for Mr. Murphy.
  99. Johnny
    Mar 5, 2004
    Lance E., I see you have put much thought into that mile-long comment of yours, but whatever you're trying to say, you don't make it clear. There are flaws in this (and every movie), but if you think the script SUCKS, then you gotta think again. Compare this movie to Citizen Kane (according to AFI the best film ever, and often mentioned by critics when they want to name Lance E., I see you have put much thought into that mile-long comment of yours, but whatever you're trying to say, you don't make it clear. There are flaws in this (and every movie), but if you think the script SUCKS, then you gotta think again. Compare this movie to Citizen Kane (according to AFI the best film ever, and often mentioned by critics when they want to name something BIG, extremely thought-provoking, and smartest thing ever) and you'll find how "un-overrated" The Matrix really is. Good heavens, if you think the philosophy, script and practically everything about this movie SUCKS, then you'd hardly like any movie. Now just calm down, and admit that it is the ultra-die-hard-matrix fans that makes you feel this way. I'm pretty sure it is. It's pretty irritating when people whine "you don't understand this movie" when you try to make a point clear, I agree, but the philosophy behind this film IS thought-provoking and superb, the acting isn't supposed to go over the top (this isn't Shakespeare), and frankly, this film mops the floor with 2001: A Space Odyssey (apply everything you've said about The Matrix to THIS movie and you'll have a good point). Expand
  100. JaredC.
    Jul 2, 2007
    Awesome action, awesome acting, awesome plot, awesome everything!

1. There's not much humor to keep it all life-size, and by the final stretch it's become bloated, mechanical, and tiresome.
  2. The plot switches gears every time it threatens to run out of energy, which keeps the show as lively as it is preposterous.
    The Matrix slams you back in your chair, pops open your eyes and leaves your jaw hanging slack in amazement.