5.9

1. MauricioR.
    Apr 20, 2004
    I've seen it in Uruguay, i'm from there and i didn't like it, it was a very boring movie, sorry for TMJ ann Kate, i thought that something in the movie was missing...ZZZZZ.
  2. JessicaW.
    Mar 11, 2004
    Totally BORING...! the movie had a good intentions on being great, i just think the movie needed some major EDITING!
  3. MauricioR.
    Apr 20, 2004
  4. Rich
    Nov 27, 2003
    Achingly, crushingly dull. Beautiful landscapes and great cinematography can't save this film from being really, really boring.
  5. MartinB.
    Nov 27, 2003
    Powerful drama and beautiful scenery!
  6. AlbertF.
    Dec 8, 2003
    Excellent, intense. Blanchett and Jones in great roles for them. I was surprised in many ways.
  7. BrittanyH.
    Jan 18, 2004
    This movie is a real thriller and i liked it.
  8. Jimbob
    Feb 24, 2004
    probably the worst movie i've seen this year....if you enjoy drawn out moments of .....nothing, this is the movie for you.
  9. LarryS.
    Mar 10, 2004
    A good movie. Worth seeing for some very good performances by Blanchette and TLJ. The ending is a little too American ......... predictable and unimaginative but the bulk of the movie is well done.
  10. MovieCritic
    Mar 12, 2004
    The movie has great directing, with awesome action sequences, and some very cool camera angles. Ron Howard IS a good director. Unfortunately, the movie is too long, and by the end, I just stopped caring. Whenever about to be rescued, the captors would do something to screw it up. I completely hated almost every character in the movie by the end of it. (Espechily Lilly, who, for reasons I The movie has great directing, with awesome action sequences, and some very cool camera angles. Ron Howard IS a good director. Unfortunately, the movie is too long, and by the end, I just stopped caring. Whenever about to be rescued, the captors would do something to screw it up. I completely hated almost every character in the movie by the end of it. (Espechily Lilly, who, for reasons I won't give away, seriously made me wish she wouldn't get rescued) At any rate, too long, and the characters were incredibly annoying. When there's not action on screan, it's just boring. Expand
  11. GregT.
    Mar 2, 2004
    I liked this movie despite the fact that I only rent Westerns when all else is unavailable. Generally to me, westerns are dry, dusty, understated and fake. However, Kate Blanchett plays a very serious role in this movie and Tommy Lee a more questionable one, but this movie is interesting nonetheless. Worth renting.
  12. DouglasH.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Very disappointed... Ron Howard's worst movie.
  13. PatC.
    Apr 23, 2004
    Blanchett once again proves she can play any character, and Tommy Lee's always fun to watch. As for the plot, it depends on one inept action after another, so the continuity is increasingly dumbed down. The politically correct banter about the responsibilities of fatherhood is promising but doesn't go anywhere. The disposable boyfriend Blanchett's character is initially Blanchett once again proves she can play any character, and Tommy Lee's always fun to watch. As for the plot, it depends on one inept action after another, so the continuity is increasingly dumbed down. The politically correct banter about the responsibilities of fatherhood is promising but doesn't go anywhere. The disposable boyfriend Blanchett's character is initially shacked up with is more reminiscent of Woody Allen-style domestic insecurity than frontier life. And the shaman slave trader is a cross between Castenada's Don Juan and Chucky. But it's told in Howard's engaging style, so one must wait till the very end before concluding this photoplay is a bossload of b.s. Expand
  14. BenA.
    Apr 4, 2004
    This was actually better than I thought. Well acted, well directed even. I didn't like the whole evil Indian thing; that's overdone and not accurate. I didn't like how they threw in the supernatural stuff an hour and a half into the movie. Nice scenery and cinematography. Overall: rather mediocre.
  15. G.M.D.K.
    May 23, 2005
    Very entertaining. Slightly predictable but yet a very good film in overall.
  16. MitchH.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Excellent western with great Blanchett and very good Jones. Beautiful photography, well told adventure story.
  17. M.Bean
    Nov 27, 2003
    A trash. Like other typical American films, "Missing" makes a clear distinction good and bad Indians. Not surprisingly, bad Indians got an ugly face. Like usual, bad Indians brutally kill and torture White Americans....
  18. ChadS.
    Nov 28, 2003
    Afraid that the audience might be getting bored, a sudden rush of water penetrates the mountain passageway, and if not for the nimble fingers of Jones, would drown a little girl. You're not going to find that scene in "The Searchers". It's a prime example of how commercial instincts kill art. And if you're going to hire Evan Rachel Wood, make her character smart. Given the Afraid that the audience might be getting bored, a sudden rush of water penetrates the mountain passageway, and if not for the nimble fingers of Jones, would drown a little girl. You're not going to find that scene in "The Searchers". It's a prime example of how commercial instincts kill art. And if you're going to hire Evan Rachel Wood, make her character smart. Given the situation, an intelligent person would know the difference between an attack and rescue. Wood is wasted here. But the photography, and Blanchett's occupation of some truly breathtaking tableaus, and her ability to connect with anybody who shares the screen with her, is enough to offset the overlong good magic/bad magic showdown between Jones and the "Indian", and an unnecessary extra fifteen-to-twenty minutes. Expand
  19. KelR.
    Feb 11, 2004
    I really enjoyed this movie. Great scenery and action. The acting was superb and convincing, plus Cate Blanchett is hot. See this movie, you won't regret it.
  20. INFERNOW.
    Mar 11, 2004
    PURE JUNK. every character is stupid and poorly drawn. Great acting but a bad scipt can't be saved. the kidnapped girls screamed everytime someone tried to escape. I hate movies with stupid girls who just scream when in danger.
  21. KariAnnT.
    Mar 27, 2004
    Oh dear. What a complete waste of the talent of Cate and Tommy Lee. During the movie, I thought the film had caught on something....not so..I looked over and a fellow movie goer was snoring... this was dreadful. No plot, no character development, poor cinematogrophy, just a big ICK all over. What a shame. What a waste of talent. What a long, drawn out, poorly developed, boring and really, Oh dear. What a complete waste of the talent of Cate and Tommy Lee. During the movie, I thought the film had caught on something....not so..I looked over and a fellow movie goer was snoring... this was dreadful. No plot, no character development, poor cinematogrophy, just a big ICK all over. What a shame. What a waste of talent. What a long, drawn out, poorly developed, boring and really, to be honest, stupid movie. Expand
    Jul 27, 2005
    A mixed bag, but some scenes are annoyinglyh blunt. Not much of a story, but interesting how they deal witht he situation, and how she makes peace with her father.
  23. Oct 4, 2012
    It is an interesting film. The film is definitely well made. Some of the shots and scenery is very beautiful and the acting is up to par with the rest of the movie. I cannot say that I regretted having watched it. It is however, not really a movie in my taste. It
  24. May 12, 2013
    This is a good movie for those people who already went through the separation of the parents, because the characters and the outcome are moved by it, but for others it's just another Western plot to appeal to the side of emocinal they enjoy.

1. This murky, thriller-tinged Western has the terrain down cold -- from the wide-open spaces to the rocky vistas -- but beneath all the requisite genre trappings there's a vast, empty gulch where the affecting dramatic element should have been found.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    As for Blanchett, she's simply wonderful. She has played her share of queenly figures, but her acting essence is, emotionally speaking, plain-Jane. She's a straight shooter, with an uncanny ability to find a character's spine and communicate it without fuss or feathers.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Ron Howard has never before made a picture this raw and alive. At the same time, this tale of the desperate pursuit of the kidnappers of young women makes for a fundamentally grim and unpleasant experience.