6.6

1. FloydH.
    Mar 29, 2008
    Excellent. I had no idea this was the same director of the Shawshank Redemption, and the Green Mile. I almost avoided renting this DVD because it was 'a rental store exclusive' which to my mind seemed to impute box office or critical failure. Had it not been a Stephen King book adaptation, starred Thomas Jane, and been lauded by Richard Roeper, and Pete Hammond - I would not Excellent. I had no idea this was the same director of the Shawshank Redemption, and the Green Mile. I almost avoided renting this DVD because it was 'a rental store exclusive' which to my mind seemed to impute box office or critical failure. Had it not been a Stephen King book adaptation, starred Thomas Jane, and been lauded by Richard Roeper, and Pete Hammond - I would not have given it a second glance due to it's lack of critical acclaim. I can only conclude that the lack of critical acclaim is due in no small measure to its indictment of religion as a form of mental calcification. Why else? The acting was sterling. The monsters no less than macabre. The story singular with only a slight nod to the Silent Hill series. Why this film is important: It shines an caustic light onto the religious bias of an overwhelming number of film critics. I now know which film critics to avoid in the future when researching how to spend my last 350,640 hours. Expand
  2. ke
    Apr 6, 2008
    The low reviews kept me away from this film in theaters, but once I rented it, I was surprised by how good the movie is. It's entertaining and scarier than any other shit out there right now. It's a really good Stephen King adaptation and the acting strong. The ending is a little turn off, but the rest of the film make up for it. Watch the film >>>> It's f**king good.
  3. MariusS.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Steven King at his best,. I truly enjoyed this movie, excellent!
  4. AndrewL
    Jul 10, 2009
    Once again i was almost fooled by the critics, the movie was brilliant. its actually very hardcore, not in a violent sense, although it is quite graphic. for a modern horror movie im surprised how little it makes you jump, this was a good thing, it didnt need cheap scare tactics to totally creep you out, it does it through the people in the mall and how they react to the situation. the Once again i was almost fooled by the critics, the movie was brilliant. its actually very hardcore, not in a violent sense, although it is quite graphic. for a modern horror movie im surprised how little it makes you jump, this was a good thing, it didnt need cheap scare tactics to totally creep you out, it does it through the people in the mall and how they react to the situation. the movie really was great, scary, fun, intense, suspenseful, really just a great horror flick. the Ending, by far, is one of the most powerful pieces of cinema ive seen, ever. Expand
  5. HamedM.
    Jul 20, 2008
    This is one of the greatest movies that i have ever seen about the human and God. They (the main characters) died because of losing their practical faith in God.
  6. JakeW.
    Jan 20, 2008
    This movie was fantastic and leaves a lot to the imagination. It's not your typical ending and heroes die. See it if you like shows like the outer Limits or the Twilight Zone.
  7. JohnL.
    Mar 30, 2008
    I really liked this movie, i went into it expecting a lot considering the director (frank darabont) and it really did not disappoint.The horror genre seems like its geting harder and harder to do well and too many movies are taking influences from asian horror cinema and it was fresh in the beginning (the ring) but now the movies are all too similar in theme and mood and frankly the I really liked this movie, i went into it expecting a lot considering the director (frank darabont) and it really did not disappoint.The horror genre seems like its geting harder and harder to do well and too many movies are taking influences from asian horror cinema and it was fresh in the beginning (the ring) but now the movies are all too similar in theme and mood and frankly the reviews speak for themselves those movies are terrible..As your watching this movie you really start to get scared, not because of whats jumping out from around a corner but from the ideas behind the story...that our worst fears are often found in ourselves..This is the best horror movie i have seen since frailty (2002)...i hope i dont have to wait another 6 years for another quality horror title Expand
  8. AlanM.
    Apr 5, 2008
    A haunting vision that examines peoples' limits. Having read "The Mist" the same year Skeleton Crew came out, it has been to this day my favourite novella by King. As such, I'm well aware that the majority of film adaptations of King's work tend to bomb quite horribly. This movie, however, did not leave me with a sour taste after it was over. The premise of the military A haunting vision that examines peoples' limits. Having read "The Mist" the same year Skeleton Crew came out, it has been to this day my favourite novella by King. As such, I'm well aware that the majority of film adaptations of King's work tend to bomb quite horribly. This movie, however, did not leave me with a sour taste after it was over. The premise of the military creating this havoc is by no means a new idea, yet with a mild suspension of belief it's plausible. The CGI, I admit, was certainly not up to the standards of today's big budget films but then I can easily understand that the terrors in the mist was not the primary conflict. No, that distinction was humanity's basic instincts. It would be folly to assume that society has the capacity to hunker down in any post-apocalyptic situation and easily overcome it's own shortcomings. As a species, we are all capable of mistakes, and when confronted by our worst fears (both imagined and real), every person will react differently. Everyone has a limit. At what point they reach that limit varies, and throughout the movie we are shown where those limits are. The dialogue, often criticized for being cliche, worked for me as it felt more realistic than what Hollywood tends to do with how people communicate to one another. The ending, while surprising different from the novella, did not take away anything from the movie. Nay, it was just another example of someone reaching their limit for dealing with something beyond their means. With news stories throughout the years regarding people who have faced their own tragedies and chosen the more horryifying result, is it any wonder we see the same here? Bottom line, if you think that we as a species are infallible, this move is not for you. If you were expecting a horror film with scary monsters, this film is not for you. If you are open to the idea that we, as people, are capable of giving up hope when we have reached our limits... then yes, this movie is for you. Expand
  9. SteveB.
    Aug 11, 2008
    Excellent adaptation of the novella. I like the nods to other horror movies and the rose from the Dark Tower that it is rumored that Thomas Jane will also be in. The ending is phenomenal, a true horror classic.
  10. TammyR.
    Aug 9, 2008
    This is a great movie that i really enjoyed. Worthwhile to see it.
  11. Dylan
    Sep 30, 2008
    An exemplary piece of horror filmmaking.
  12. BillB.
    Nov 8, 2009
    As with most effective horror movies, The Mist scares you most when the threat is what you cannot see. Thanks to Darabont's direction, the tension doesn't let up as the mystery is slowly revealed. The danger posed by some within the grocery store only amps it up. And the ending nearly knocked me to the floor. This is certainly not your run-of-the mill gross-out flick.
  13. TommyG.
    Jan 23, 2009
    Absorbing and scary - This skillful horror film treats the viewer with intelligence. The characters make you belief in the premise. Some of the special effects could be a little better, but the construction, attention to detail and multiple layers of storytelling (not to mention the entirely haunting ending) certainly make of for it. Darabont's really great with the actors too.
  14. RobertS
    Sep 19, 2009
    I love a horror film that goes for the bleak and the depressing - this is the horror genre folks, why on Earth would I want a 'happy ending' to all that has gone before? Keep your ludicrous 'Sorority Row', 'Friday the 13th' and 'Saw' claptrap and give me a group of people riven by mistrust, fear of 'what's out there' and attempting to I love a horror film that goes for the bleak and the depressing - this is the horror genre folks, why on Earth would I want a 'happy ending' to all that has gone before? Keep your ludicrous 'Sorority Row', 'Friday the 13th' and 'Saw' claptrap and give me a group of people riven by mistrust, fear of 'what's out there' and attempting to exert their influence over others. That's horror - not the monsters (and the effects are not that bad for a film that had a pretty low budget), not the short term visceral satisfaction of arterial spray that most of us are desensitized to know anyway or the B movie trimmimngs that Darabont provides along the way. The confrontations between the people in the store is far more engaging and suspenseful, and even if the film doesn't quite make the points it wants to (although it mostly manages) it at least attempts to have some meat and bones to it. Which is more than can be said for other so-called horrors of late. For my money, one of the more memorable horror films of the last couple of years and one that I frequently recommend to others. Expand
  15. RickC.
    Nov 22, 2007
    A wicked little horror flick with a good cast, authentic reactions, consequences of actions, deft camera work, music that stays largely ambient, decent special effects, a terrific "villain," an assortment of Lovecraftian monsters and a polarizing ending. What's not to like?! The most fun I've had at a monster movie since The Host.
    Nov 23, 2007
    What an ending. That's all I can even say about it. I never want to see it again, it was painful to watch, but so worth it. It's a really interesting look into the mindset of desperate people, more than it is a typical King horror flick.
  17. MattF
    Nov 23, 2007
    The mist while not a horror, is completely suspenseful and disturbing, the ending, which changed from the book works like a breath of fresh air. The creatures looked terrifying the effects worked well and Thomas Jane gives his usual solid performance. Finally a Stephen King horror done right! Please so see this and save R rated horror!
  18. RobertC.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Whoa. The Mist, Frank Darabont's newest film version of a Stephen King tale, is a kick in the gut. Adapted from a nearly flawless novella originally published in the Kirby McCauley edited 1983 anthology DARK FORCES, The Mist recalls George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead for sheer apocalyptic dread. Moreover, like Romero's film, The Mist owns an ending brutal in its Whoa. The Mist, Frank Darabont's newest film version of a Stephen King tale, is a kick in the gut. Adapted from a nearly flawless novella originally published in the Kirby McCauley edited 1983 anthology DARK FORCES, The Mist recalls George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead for sheer apocalyptic dread. Moreover, like Romero's film, The Mist owns an ending brutal in its anguish. Whereas King's novella ends with ambiguity concerning the survival of the characters and the world, Darabont's film serves a clear denoument that leaves the viewer emotionally exhausted, helpless, and weirdly satisfied. I left the theater satisfied that I'd seen a nearly perfect horror film whose intact and intelligent subtext and resonance is difficult to find at today's multiplex. I also left the theater satisfied that the filmmakers respected me as a member of the audience. Like Night and James Gunn's Slither, The Mist is bright, intellectual popcorn horror steeped deeply in the human condition. Darabont utilises the "desert island" trope as creatively as Romero did in 1968. This trope strands several people in a place where there is little or no chance of escape and allows the human part of them to take over. Greed, cowardice, need for order, all these things rise to the surface and the people trapped in the island become dangerous. In the case of Romero's and Darabont's films, the people trapped in the farmhouse and grocery store become more dangerous than the ghouls and creepy other-dimensional crawlies who wish to consume them. More importantly, like Romero, Darabont doesn't flinch in presenting an ending that belongs more in the European ouvre of Austria's Michael Haneke than in a Hollywood film. Perhaps the Weinstein brothers, who produced, understand that The Mist is material in need of a resonant and stunning denoument to respect every action and death occurring throughout the story. Regardless, go and see this movie! You will not regret it. Expand
  19. BCguy85
    Nov 25, 2007
    this is what movies are about. getting people passionate about a movie. when I'm in a theater and people are cheering when things are happening you know it's got a good impact. it's also nice to have endings you don't see coming.
  20. PhilS.
    Dec 1, 2007
    A terrifric movie for several reasons and one the best scary films in years.
  21. MichaelL.
    Dec 2, 2007
    At last, a smart, scary, fearless American horror film. 2007 has been a bleak year for terror, and with critics anointing the ghastly "1408" and the dumb-dumb "The Host" as brilliant, I wasn't expecting much from "The Mist". I was mistaken. Excellent acting (Bravo, Marcia Gay Harden!), some jump-out-of-your seat jolts, and an all-too real ending make this the best creepshow I've At last, a smart, scary, fearless American horror film. 2007 has been a bleak year for terror, and with critics anointing the ghastly "1408" and the dumb-dumb "The Host" as brilliant, I wasn't expecting much from "The Mist". I was mistaken. Excellent acting (Bravo, Marcia Gay Harden!), some jump-out-of-your seat jolts, and an all-too real ending make this the best creepshow I've seen since 2006's "The Descent". Simple-minded viewers who need a "let's kick some Martian butt!" all-American ending will be angry at the conclusion of this film... good! Thank God Darabont had the clarity of vision to see this thing through to its (blessedly non-heavy metal soundtrack) closing credits. Expand
  22. BenB.
    Dec 3, 2007
    What a great horror movie this is, an homage to the old style classics that not only were unafraid to take risks, but to tell an actual story, one that didn't rely on the body count and gore and sex and drugs and pretty much every other kind of trash out there that eventually took over the genre, but on pure, unadulterated suspense. What makes 'The Mist' work isn't in What a great horror movie this is, an homage to the old style classics that not only were unafraid to take risks, but to tell an actual story, one that didn't rely on the body count and gore and sex and drugs and pretty much every other kind of trash out there that eventually took over the genre, but on pure, unadulterated suspense. What makes 'The Mist' work isn't in it's monsters (which are a visual delight), or in it's gore (which is actually effective and disturbing, something Eli Roth should take note), or even in it's scares (which are certainly nerve jangling) Expand
  23. IanR.
    Mar 14, 2008
    I thought it was a great movie, not like most horrors with a twist to make a happy ending, which can make a movie dull sometimes.
  24. JackS.
    Mar 31, 2008
    The monsters are a MacGuffin, the real creatures to fear are inside the store. This is a very good movie. People who dismiss it are missing the bigger picture. Marcia Gay Harden is spectacular, one of the greates female villans in the history of film. Just give this film a chance. You will not be disapointed.
  25. MattB.
    Apr 4, 2008
    This movie had some excellent scenes (notably the spider one) and great character development. You know a film is good when you passionately hate and/or love some of the characters in it. What really blew me away was the ending... it was spectacular. You never see it coming and it is SO Stephen King!! The best ending to a horror movie ever. Period.
  26. UlfE.
    Apr 5, 2008
    The movie has truly scary moments and manages to create a hopeless and eerie atmosphere. It
  27. Jester
    Jul 10, 2008
    This movie was wonderful, trashy, and stupid in all the right ways!!
  28. JohnC.
    Jul 11, 2008
    Gory and gruesome, just tht way I like it.
  29. MichaelA.
    Jul 12, 2008
    Scary, thought-provoking, surprisingly brutal ending. Worth watching.
  30. lol
    Jul 12, 2008
    The ending was unneccesarily bad, even for this kind of movie. Otherwise, the acting, plot, action, atmosphere and mood of the movie was great.
  31. ColeC.
    Jul 20, 2008
    Frank Darabont was offered twice the amount of the money if he changed the ending. He said no (Bravo), and what you get is undiluted horror movie. The characters are well developed. The almost instant social -fracturing that takes place amongst them is brilliant, and is quite reminiscent of some the George A. Romero movies. The creepies that lurk in the mist are also intriguing, as is Frank Darabont was offered twice the amount of the money if he changed the ending. He said no (Bravo), and what you get is undiluted horror movie. The characters are well developed. The almost instant social -fracturing that takes place amongst them is brilliant, and is quite reminiscent of some the George A. Romero movies. The creepies that lurk in the mist are also intriguing, as is concept of where they came from. So clearly, compared to the endless "Grudges" and "saw" rehashes of late, this movie offers a fresh breathe of air, albeit misty one. Expand
  32. rofl?lol
    Aug 5, 2008
    Amazingly retarded ending... otherwise, the best acting, scares, creepiness and atmosphere in a horror movie ever.
  33. MidgardD.
    Nov 22, 2007
    9/10 stars. Wonderful adaptation that followed the plot very closely with an added ending that shocks and amazes. The film was trying to show who the true monsters in the story are, and it clearly wasn't the supernatural creatures that arrived with the mist.
  34. sarah
    Nov 24, 2007
    this movie is one of the best movies i've seen in a long time! i loved the way the director set up the tension and you could feel it. its like you don't know whats gonna happen next. overall the film was amazing! i will buy it the day it comes out on dvd!
  35. RussW
    Nov 24, 2007
    I always thought the short story The Mist would make a great movie and it didn't disappoint. Great tension and effects and a very daring ending that outdid the original book.
  36. JenniferC.
    Nov 24, 2007
    I think that it was a pretty good movie being adapted from Stephen King. It left you thinking "Could I ever do that if I was him?". It's scary what fear brings out of people.
  37. LisaL
    Nov 26, 2007
    The scariest movie I have every seen! The ending is incredible, the monsters are genuinely terrifying, and the plot is phenomenal. I loved every minute of this terrifying thriller!
  38. ManniB.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Great adaptation of King, with inteligent and preety depressing ending. Another fantastic movie from Darabont.
  39. PJ.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Hands down, one of the scariest films I've seen (and I'm not easily scared at a movie). People were cheering, screaming, and clapping. The ending was heart wrenching and, from what I understand, not the ending that was in the original short story.
  40. VanessaC.
    Dec 11, 2007
    Awesome movie with great metaphors and a shocker ending!
  41. AlaricP.
    Dec 1, 2007
    I think this is a great movie. I don't like movies with a bunch of gore, like Saw, Hostel, or other torture porn movies. But this movie has only one or two instances of gore, so I like it for staying a thriller. But that's not all. The cinematography is great. The camera is always moving around, just adding to the feeling to the movie. I am a loyal fan of Stephen King, and this I think this is a great movie. I don't like movies with a bunch of gore, like Saw, Hostel, or other torture porn movies. But this movie has only one or two instances of gore, so I like it for staying a thriller. But that's not all. The cinematography is great. The camera is always moving around, just adding to the feeling to the movie. I am a loyal fan of Stephen King, and this movie stays true to the story. Although the ending is a little upsetting, it is a good one. I can't recommend this movie enough. Expand
  42. joer
    Dec 1, 2007
    i went to this film kicking and screaming the whole way. i was off base. tremendous movie with outstanding performances and a gut-wrenching finish. Highlky recommended!
  43. GaryS.
    Nov 17, 2008
    Veers close to crass and cheap and jokey but stays the right side of serious, giving that ending a nice sharp stab.
  44. JonathanR.
    Jun 15, 2008
    I very much enjoyed this movie, it seemed as if it were a big-screen version of Half-Life 1 and 2 combined. As many things seemed to be taken from there: Tentacles, Dementional Warp-gates, Mist as well as many other things. The movie seemed to be bashing religion and the ending was horrible and leaves you feeling half enraged and half despaired.
  45. Andrew
    Aug 31, 2008
    I jokingly called the ending in the movie theater before it happened. Go see the movie instead of YouTube-ing the ending, it'd ruin it. Really good movie that's worth your time to watch.
  46. ks
    Jun 23, 2009
    Excellent monster movie, in which not the monsters are the thread, the ordinary people are. The Ending is one of the best in horror movie history.
  47. BetsyM.
    Nov 21, 2007
    The Mist has always been one of my favorite King stories and I was really happy that I also enjoyed the movie (unlike The Shining which really distorted the book). As a horror movie The Mist is right on target. Suspense and creatures abound. I liked the character development and the behavior of the characters as the tension grew. The ending, while disturbing, was perfect for making one The Mist has always been one of my favorite King stories and I was really happy that I also enjoyed the movie (unlike The Shining which really distorted the book). As a horror movie The Mist is right on target. Suspense and creatures abound. I liked the character development and the behavior of the characters as the tension grew. The ending, while disturbing, was perfect for making one think about the various paths people take and decisions they make. Overall a wonderful movie. Expand
  48. Jun 12, 2011
    A depressing and visceral cautionary tale about the monsters that hide inside us all. The acting ranged from wholly believable to flat-out cheesy, but it was trivial by the end. Speaking of endings...holy crap. I think I've made my point.
  49. Nov 1, 2010
    I disagree with many critics and evidently many viewers in that I think this film was an excellent character drama, and a very good film overall. The characters were solid, the acting was great in most cases, it built up a lot of suspense and character development, and it avoided a lot of tropes and cliche's, with a pretty brutal ultimatum.

It wasn't a typical horror movie, or even a very

It wasn't a typical horror movie, or even a very good horror movie, by any means. The enemies are rarely seen, in several cases passive, and scare moments don't last very long. However, in almost every other respect I'd say the film is a great success. Most characters actually have interesting opinions and beliefs, and don't follow genre cliche's (when they do, it's with depth and subtlety). A small example is the seeming jobsworth store department manager, I forget his name, who has a goofy appearance, is stumpy, and has glasses. In EVERY other horror movie he would be comic/ sicko relief, and would be killed by the main character or somesuch after he pervs on the love interest or some crap. However, he turns out to be a good guy, one of the best in the film, and is likeable and has a lot of story/plot input. The generic psycho antagonist seems one-dimensional and cliche, but is acted with extreme finesse- when she finally starts driving people to violence (which is inevitable), you can actually see that she is shocked at what is going on, but keeps at it out of fear and wavering momentum. The whole thing is about why people do these things- basically fear and how people deal with it.

The story is basic and doesn't reveal much about what is going on, but that's not necessary, as it's mostly about the characters' survival and relationships, yet it still does a good job of setting up an ecology and background for the strange creatures the players encounter. The film's not much of a horror, but as a thriller and a character piece- I'd say hit it up like a whack-a-mole.
  50. Oct 9, 2011
    Strangely, one of my favorite films of all time, although I understand that people don't like it. I'm not a fanboy, or a hater, so I won't bag out people who dislike this film, likewise i don't expect to be knocked just because I really enjoyed this. I liked the pace, the premise, and the cheesy acting and effects. Even though it felt a bit B grade I felt this added to the experience forStrangely, one of my favorite films of all time, although I understand that people don't like it. I'm not a fanboy, or a hater, so I won't bag out people who dislike this film, likewise i don't expect to be knocked just because I really enjoyed this. I liked the pace, the premise, and the cheesy acting and effects. Even though it felt a bit B grade I felt this added to the experience for me. I saw this in cinemas and remember walking with a big smile on my face. If you're a fan of post-apocalyptic, sci-fi and horror you should get a kick out of this, if you're a Dark Tower fan then maybe even moreso (as their are a few nods to the series in this film). To me this film captures the dire reality of such an event quite well by pitting a small group of people together who must learn to fight off a common threat. It deals with the microcosm of society and how certain people can influence the masses. There is a real feeling of dread and despair that is portrayed in the film. The characters are survivors but we know that not all of them will make it through to the end, we know that their situation is a dangerous one and the film keeps you on your toes.

All in all, I really liked it and always mention this to friends as being one of my faves of all time, they always laugh, heh, but that's life. Don't be deterred by bad reviews, its just one of those movies, some love it, some hate it, you might really like it.
  51. Jul 2, 2011
    the mist is a strange experience and annoying in a good way, of course. monsters that attack to people are innocent in comparison with monster people inside. music that heard in the last scenes don't let the eyes to be dry.
  52. Jun 25, 2012
    When I first watched the first 15 minutes of this film, I was thinking to myself, "Man, this movie is kinda unoriginal." I was wrong. When the mist starts rolling in, the film keeps you hooked until the ending. The characters are well put together, and although the acting isn't perfect, it's still very solid. What I enjoyed the most about this movie is that it doesn't rely on cheap tacticsWhen I first watched the first 15 minutes of this film, I was thinking to myself, "Man, this movie is kinda unoriginal." I was wrong. When the mist starts rolling in, the film keeps you hooked until the ending. The characters are well put together, and although the acting isn't perfect, it's still very solid. What I enjoyed the most about this movie is that it doesn't rely on cheap tactics to make you scared. It's suspenseful, gory, and thrilling. This movie also gets credit for having one of the most depressing endings in film history. Expand
  53. Jun 14, 2011
    The beauty of a good horror movie is when the actual threat itself becomes insignificant in comparison to the ills that manifest from the very people that are trying to escape it. This very story telling mechanic is what The Mist does in magnificent fashion. If you watch this movie with the right head on your shoulders, respecting the situation the central characters are in at any givenThe beauty of a good horror movie is when the actual threat itself becomes insignificant in comparison to the ills that manifest from the very people that are trying to escape it. This very story telling mechanic is what The Mist does in magnificent fashion. If you watch this movie with the right head on your shoulders, respecting the situation the central characters are in at any given moment, then the end scene will rip your very soul clean in half. I know the end differs from the short story originally penned by King, but the author himself has ok'd the revised ending with much applause (there is actually a sit down chat with King and Darabont on the disc where this is seen and heard). One point I will make that really needs to be listened to is the viewing of this film in Black & White. I myself have never seen the colour version as the director himself (there is a 'forward' at the start of the B&W presentation on Blu-ray by Darabont) has stated that the B&W is the native viewing experience... and i certainly agree with that. The Mist is a mini masterpiece that got reviewed at the time by the wrong people and therefore has not reached the audience it deserves. The fans will continue to spread the word and keep the films legacy alive through word of mouth and passion for what this reviewer truely believes is one of the best horror movies of all time Expand
  54. Apr 5, 2012
    I definitely enjoyed the movie. It was better than what I expected, yet, I know it was not brilliant. It works in its genre, although there was room for improvement. I think it is not easy to describe the feelings that this movie inspires to me; but I know this is a movie that I would recommend to those who enjoy horror films where violence and gore are justified. The story is interestingI definitely enjoyed the movie. It was better than what I expected, yet, I know it was not brilliant. It works in its genre, although there was room for improvement. I think it is not easy to describe the feelings that this movie inspires to me; but I know this is a movie that I would recommend to those who enjoy horror films where violence and gore are justified. The story is interesting and it takes a while for the mistery to be unfolded. Although some may have already thought where the answer was, the way it was done in the movie, is to be applauded. Good performances and good cast. It had an interesting perspective, that made me reflect-again- in how dangerous religious fanatism can be to the world ( be aware I mean, fanatism, for there is nothing wrong with religion itself) and how easy to manipulate are human beings under certain conditions. Great ending, although sad. Overall, a good movie but i am disappointed to se the low score, especially considering how many good reviews it got...I wonder if the metacritic system is working for I don't see it changing much days after some comments are post..strange indeed. Something that they should ckeck...for it is not only the percentage, but the number of 'positive' doesn't add after my friends or I write a review...! Expand
  55. Oct 6, 2012
    As always Frank Darabont makes a great job .
  56. Nov 30, 2013
    This film is precisely the kind that is destined to be under rated. I came to view it out of an unusual impulse toward gratuitous monster mashing gore. But The Mist is far more substantial than anything the average horror fan is going to be prepared for. The film is an allegory for the for the human condition at its most grim. And as such within the genre, it is not just as good as horrorThis film is precisely the kind that is destined to be under rated. I came to view it out of an unusual impulse toward gratuitous monster mashing gore. But The Mist is far more substantial than anything the average horror fan is going to be prepared for. The film is an allegory for the for the human condition at its most grim. And as such within the genre, it is not just as good as horror gets, it is correct. And I use the word 'correct' here in the most laudatory sense that a person could use it while aghast and weeping. Expand

1. There's a grim modern parable to be read into the dangerous effects of the gospel-preaching local crazy lady Mrs. Carmody (brilliantly played by a hellfire Marcia Gay Harden) on a congregation of the fearful.
  2. Less horrific than it is horribly didactic.
    The Mist is itself a supermarket of B-movie essentials, handsomely stocked with bad science, stupid behavior, chewable lines of dialogue, religious fruitcakes, and a fine display of monsters.