The Monuments Men

5.3

1. Jun 22, 2014
    It was far worse than I was anticipating and I didn't have high expectations to begin with. Terribly written screenplay. George Clooney seemed totally incompetent about the components that make a good movie.
  2. Feb 19, 2014
    I wanted to like this movie, but it felt like a third-rate Disney movie from the '60s. Clooney tried too hard to make art history interesting with lame and corny humor, self-indulgent closeups and a peculiar whistling-music soundtrack that was slathered all over the film like too much mayonnaise on a southern hot dog.

If not for Kate Blanchett's convincing performance as a French art

If not for Kate Blanchett's convincing performance as a French art curator, the whole thing would have been a disappointment. Worst of all, this unfortunate waste of a stellar cast was boring. Save your time and money.
  3. Jun 24, 2014
    The movie quickly went from being boring to flat our irritating. This proves once again that George Clooney can't direct or write a film if his life depended on it. A humorless idiotic film.
  4. Jun 22, 2014
    Boring, badly written and illogical. Directed for your Average Joe who has no idea about WW2 history and attention span of a chicken.

And of course US won WW2, because allies attacked Germany even from Poland side as it was explained at the beginning of the movie. Russians were just making angry faces and stealing art. Because Russians. Not mentioning that lots of military-related

Not mentioning that lots of military-related things shown were just plain idiotic and unrealistic.

Clooney should stick to acting, he's much better at it.

Waste of time and money.
  5. Jun 8, 2014
    This if officially the worst war movie I have ever seen. I completely understand why both then users and the critics hated this disastrous movie. All in all, it didn't even make sense. The Monuments Men is just a waste of time.
  6. Feb 26, 2014
    I didn't expect this to be great, but given the cast and sure-fire subject matter, I thought it would be at least passably entertaining. Wrong- it was dull, insipid, humorless, uneven in tone, and at times just plain idiotic.
  7. Mar 15, 2014
    BOARING historically a documentary with no action and long and nothing to hold your attention don't bother watching it In fact the whole story was slow and hard to follow with scenes that had nothing to do with the story line it just seemed to be fillers
  8. Feb 8, 2014
    This movie was so bad that I rooted for the Nazis. George Clooney usually has such good judgment and taste, but this was flatter than a xerox of a Van Gogh.
  9. Feb 9, 2014
    Perhaps one of the worst movies I have paid money to see since my wife dragged me to Yentil. The only thing that would have made this movie more hoary would have been if Babs had been cast in lieu of Cate Blanchett. Great cast and interesting story. Just a complete dud as entertainment.
  10. Feb 15, 2014
    There actually was an Allied unit whose purpose was to recover art stolen and looted by the Nazis However, this movie has nothing to do with that unit though its claim to be 'based on a true story' might lead you to think otherwise. This is a George Clooney 'caper' move; a sort of Ocean's 7 versus the Nazis tale. It has a cast of big name stars who must have absorbed 99% of whatever itThere actually was an Allied unit whose purpose was to recover art stolen and looted by the Nazis However, this movie has nothing to do with that unit though its claim to be 'based on a true story' might lead you to think otherwise. This is a George Clooney 'caper' move; a sort of Ocean's 7 versus the Nazis tale. It has a cast of big name stars who must have absorbed 99% of whatever it cost to make because there doesn't appear to be a script. The story, such as it is, is a series of alternately maudlin and banal vignettes intended to illustrate the characters of Clooney's team and, by means of a voice over, Clooney's relationship to them. Put them all together, and its a crappy movie, a vanity project. I want my money back! Expand
  11. Jan 19, 2015
    What was Clooney thinking. This film was dreadful. With almost no pacing evident, a rippes off dads army vibe that's been americanised, and one very annoying scene ripped straight from full metal jacket with a lighter outcome due to its 12 rating. The tone is also all over the place, not knowing whether it is a historical biographical piece, a comedy, a drama or a war film. The comedy thatWhat was Clooney thinking. This film was dreadful. With almost no pacing evident, a rippes off dads army vibe that's been americanised, and one very annoying scene ripped straight from full metal jacket with a lighter outcome due to its 12 rating. The tone is also all over the place, not knowing whether it is a historical biographical piece, a comedy, a drama or a war film. The comedy that does happen always falls flat. The acting overall is pretty average, however Cate Blanchett is still very believable in the film. Also, typical american film killing off the British and french characters, nice one Clooney. Overall the way most scenes are directed are fairly awful, with little direction really. With a brilliant cast, this film disappoints on many levels. Lastly, transitions from one scene to another is so terrible and sloppy that it's actually a frustrating watch. Oh and also, that ending was suh a rip off of Kelly's Heroes. Obviously Clooney watched Kelly's Heroes and wanted to direct his own version. I usually love Clooney, but this truly makes me angry at him. I sighed. A lot. Expand
  12. Mar 21, 2014
    The adaptation of the true Monuments Men's story is bad. In fact, George Clooney did not take the best angle for his story. The screenplay is based only on two artistics painting.
  13. Dec 8, 2014
    Well casted and filmed, but thoroughly unoriginal and tedious, "Monuments Men" wastes all of its potential in a clunky narrative and a tone without consistency.
  14. Sep 9, 2015
    Just watch Frankenheimer's "The Train." Virtually nothing in it actually happened but it succeeds where "Monuments Men" utterly fails, in that you will give a damn about the characters in the film, and you will gain a sense for why people would risk their lives to save art. Also, "The Train" has an actual plot.

"Monuments Men", by contrast, makes extensive use of comic relief. Never

"Monuments Men", by contrast, makes extensive use of comic relief. Never a good sign.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Feb 18, 2014
    The problem isn't a lack of weight, but of lightness. It's stuck with lead feet for a historical caper and serves no other worthwhile purpose.
  2. Reviewed by: Paul Bradshaw
    Feb 18, 2014
    An amazing story and an amazing cast don’t always make an amazing film. Too light for drama, not funny enough for comedy; it’s unlikely anyone will ever risk their lives for this.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Feb 8, 2014
    Certainly, the story told by The Monuments Men is worth telling and it's easy to see why a luminary like Clooney would be sufficiently attracted to want to direct it. Unfortunately, this treatment, written by Clooney and long-time collaborator Grant Heslov, isn't the best fit.