5.3

1. Feb 18, 2015
    This is a movie that you should watch just because of the cast ensemble!! Too once you start give the movie give a chance as the first is kind of slow, but picks up pace. With Bill Murray and John Goodman expect some humorous moments, and btw those 2 can act with the big boys! Some action and tense moments, nice story line, and ended up nicely. The movie makes you realize the tragedyThis is a movie that you should watch just because of the cast ensemble!! Too once you start give the movie give a chance as the first is kind of slow, but picks up pace. With Bill Murray and John Goodman expect some humorous moments, and btw those 2 can act with the big boys! Some action and tense moments, nice story line, and ended up nicely. The movie makes you realize the tragedy of war along the way, and that not only lives are lost. Glad I didn't pay at the theatre as I borrowed the DVD from a friend, but again worth watching once! I gave it a 7 based on the characters and the story! Expand
  2. Nov 12, 2014
    The story takes place in Europe when the US was an integral part of the allies in during back the Germans in World War II. Frank Stoles, a Lieutenant, was trying to persuade the President of United States, that winning the war will not be completely successful if all of the priceless works of art were destroyed by the Germans. Frank said, “While we must and will win this war, we shouldThe story takes place in Europe when the US was an integral part of the allies in during back the Germans in World War II. Frank Stoles, a Lieutenant, was trying to persuade the President of United States, that winning the war will not be completely successful if all of the priceless works of art were destroyed by the Germans. Frank said, “While we must and will win this war, we should also remember the high price that’ll be paid if the very foundation of modern society is destroyed.” The President half-heartedly agreed with Frank’s statement and gave him permission to recruit a handful of people, nicknamed “The Monuments Men”, to support this mission. Frank was able to recruit six other people who were mainly museum curators and art historians. Almost all of them had no previous military experience but all of them were willing to support this mission since they saw the value in recouping all of those invaluable artworks.
    The Monuments Men were divided into different groups or individuals to try to track down where the Germans were transporting and storing the artworks.
    James Granger went to Paris to understand where the Germans transported all the stolen treasures from France. James was attempting to befriend Claire Simone, a curator in occupied France, who might know the details of the stolen artworks. Claire initially didn’t trust James since she suspected the allies will confiscate all the treasures. But later Claire realized the James returned a stolen art to a Jewish home, and she trusted that James would keep his word and gave him a ledger that contained important information of the stolen art.
    Richard Campbell and Preston Savitz tried to figure out a set of stolen Belgian artworks. They were able to identify and arrest a German officer who was healing as a farmer but decorated his home with the stolen artworks.
    Walter Garfield and Jean Claude Clermont were on their way to look for the stolen treasures. Unfortunately, they accidentally ran into Germans patrol and Jean Claude were hit and died.
    Donald Jeffries went to a Belgian church and was trying to transport the valuable artwork out of the church. However, the Germans came and shot him to death.
    With two members died, the Monuments Men came together again as a team with only five members left. They understood that Hitler would want all the artworks to be destroyed if Germany lost the war. He issued the Nero Decree to his military to do that. The team was rushing against time since Germany is faltering. At the same time, the Russians were advancing from the East, and they would confiscate all the artwork in order to help to rebuild their country. The team realized that the Germans were storing most of the art treasures in mines and castles. The team was able to recover substantial amount of artworks from mines and castles in Austria and Germany.
    At the conclusion if the war, President Truman asked Frank Stoles whether it was worth for two people’s lives in order to rescue those art. Frank had no doubt and responded back it was all worth it. At the end of the movie, Frank took his grandson to visit Michelangelo's Madonna sculpture.
  3. Aug 27, 2014
    I do not really get all the hatred for this film. The cast is fantastic, led by George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Cate Blanchett, and Bob Balaban. The story is also very interesting as this group of misfits try to recover art stolen by the Nazis. It is surprisingly funny at times, which I did not expect and there are plenty of thrills and exciting moments. I neverI do not really get all the hatred for this film. The cast is fantastic, led by George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Cate Blanchett, and Bob Balaban. The story is also very interesting as this group of misfits try to recover art stolen by the Nazis. It is surprisingly funny at times, which I did not expect and there are plenty of thrills and exciting moments. I never really found it boring, though it was of a slower nature, but for me, I was always interested. The whole point here is to argue about the worth of art in a caper film about stealing it back, so that way it can be preserved and displayed by their rightful owners. Ultimately, if you truly do not care about art, you will be left wondering why these idiots are almost getting killed trying to get it back, but if you, at the very least, respect the work of the artists, you will get what is so important. Now, I have heard a lot of debate over its actual historical accuracy, but to me, that is irrelevant. It is, at least somewhat, based on real situations and a real group of people sent to try to preserve art, but made more exciting and funny. You do not hear anybody giving a negative review to Braveheart for not being historically accurate, so I do not understand the different treatment for this one. As a whole, The Monuments Men is a well made, well acted, and well directed film that in lesser hands, could have been worse. Expand
  4. Aug 16, 2014
    Cool movie went there with friends, got some popcorn and had a great time. Movie was awesome, had to see it and recommend it. It is actually real story
  5. Jul 31, 2014
    Very interesting and informative. It is a great look at an often unknown consequence of Hitler's war, and I enjoyed learning about this. I did not have high expectations, so I was not disappointed. I did not find it boring, and the cast was superb in my opinion. It you are looking for nudity, sex, violence, or blatant romance, this movie will disappoint. But if you want an in-depthVery interesting and informative. It is a great look at an often unknown consequence of Hitler's war, and I enjoyed learning about this. I did not have high expectations, so I was not disappointed. I did not find it boring, and the cast was superb in my opinion. It you are looking for nudity, sex, violence, or blatant romance, this movie will disappoint. But if you want an in-depth look at some lesser known consequences of what was happening while Germany and Russian invaded Europe, from France to Italy, this is one I recommend. Expand
  6. May 31, 2014
    As an European, I appreciated this film. It's a masterpiece among films about World War II. Many of interesting paintings and sculptures are shown in the film. Moreover, it is an interesting historical fact this movie show to us. Some scenes are funny, others are more serious and quite sad. The Monuments Men is truly a good movie.
  7. May 26, 2014
    What is wrong with people? I really think people have become desensitized to what a good movie is. It slowly started with the "professional" critics, and now, to my disbelief, the consumer. It's not just about this film being scored low, it's about others as well. Unless a movie has insane violence, meaningless nudity, infidelity, subjects that are taboo to most cultures, then it get'sWhat is wrong with people? I really think people have become desensitized to what a good movie is. It slowly started with the "professional" critics, and now, to my disbelief, the consumer. It's not just about this film being scored low, it's about others as well. Unless a movie has insane violence, meaningless nudity, infidelity, subjects that are taboo to most cultures, then it get's knocked down. Note that, when one of the characters in this movie has a chance to cheat on his wife, he takes the higher road and remains faithful. This is almost NEVER seen in movies anymore, hence, a reason why some critics didn't give it higher marks.

People, movies are meant for entertainment, not just shock value. Is this movie really deserving below a 8 of 10? Below a 7 out of 10? George Clooney got it right making this film. A return to what movies are truly made for. Feeling, entertainment, chemistry with the viewer, and relativity. Once you begin to break down every scene in a movie, pick it apart, compare it to "the book," and intentionally look for flaws, then you've lost sight of what going to the movies is all about. Why even go? Save yourself the time and $9, and breathe for a little while until you reset and can learn to enjoy films for what they are, an entertaining escape. I don't know, try making a movie yourself that has a fraction of emotion and meaning that this film does. Then, maybe you will come to appreciate a good film when it is staring you in the face.

The Monuments Men is a true return to American film making. Does it deserve a 10? No, but I will rate it with such, so that more people won't be turned away from it because of unnecessary negative reviews. Sit back, breathe, and enjoy it.... oh and come off your high horse and stick to what you get paid to do.
  8. May 26, 2014
    This movie was loosely adapted from the book of the same name which was originally based on the true story of the world war two. It was a war drama with a theme of the treasure hunt directed by our own George Clooney. The movie had multi top stars who team up for a specially assigned task. Just like the Alistair MacLean stories they lead their way to the war zone to accomplish.

I don't

I don't know how much close to the original story it was, but this movie was a bit slow and drag, all the way dull. But not to forget the story intentionally serves its elements to us without surprises and twists. What we really miss was the scenes that pull us to our seat's edge. Yeah, the fast paced furious thrillers, especially in the last few minutes I was desperate for that and it did come, but did not please me. Even the deaths in the movie were not convinced or appeals strongly. Most of the time I thought it was a dark comedy, especially in the last scene of Jean Dujardin.

Other than cinematically transformation fail, I really liked the story. In the real story with real people it would have been a hell of a job than in the movie, which portrays few pieces of the real incident. Heartbreaks to know that many valuables were destroyed during Hitler's invasion of Europe and also makes me happy that these men saved most of it. No doubt, it was a reasonable attempt by George Clooney. Because this story must reach widely to expose these men's bravery and it's only possible through a movie. This is not a must see movie, but for story wise it is.
  9. Mar 31, 2014
    I liked this movie. It has really good acting, a very interesting story, engaging and memorable characters, etc. Honestly there's not much to complain about. It's a good break from all the typical action movies out there now and nice to watch a story about WW2 not focused soley on the war itself.
  10. Mar 11, 2014
    Critics set their expectations too high these days. I read the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes for Monuments Men and was surprised to see how many of them were negative. When I saw the film for myself I felt so differently. Here’s my opinion:

This is a war movie unlike any other. In fact, it’s really not a war movie at all. World War II just happens to be the backdrop. This is a movie about art. What it means to our collective culture. The movie stresses that “art cannot have a single owner,” meaning that it was intended for the public. It preserves history and encapsulates the qualities of an era. The public needs to view art to understand the past.

So Hitler wants all the art. He wishes to use it to create a massive museum called der Führer Museum. Understanding Hitler’s vision for the Aryan race it’s implied that the museum would be a private collection reserved only for the Nazis. George Clooney’s character (Frank Stokes), a professor, is aware of this and asks the federal government permission to create an operation to find the stolen art and return it to its rightful places.

He recruits a team, most of which are connected to the Arts in some way, and they head overseas into the war-zone. The team is in no way ready for war conditions. Most of them are older and inexperienced. This makes for a humorous tone since the team relies on desperate optimism to get the job done.

All the actors perform brilliantly, not a surprise since they are all talented. The story does get a little mish-mashed. The team splits up at one point in the film creating separate storylines that are hard to follow. The film as it stands, however, is entirely believable. While watching it I truly felt as if I were in World War II. The music does come off a little patriotic, creating a “cheesey” tone at certain places. All due credit to George Clooney for attacking this project as both writer and director.

I recommend this movie. It’s not perfect but for what it lacks, it makes up for it with the actor’s performances. Don’t let critics fool you.
  11. Mar 5, 2014
    the mounments didnt have enough violence but i enjoyed anyway . george clooney aka the co star of gravity directors and co wrote this but i loved it but the comedy stinks .
  12. Mar 1, 2014
    This is a great movie everyone should watch and based on real events. George Clooney and Matt Damon performance is just amazing really loved it and made me think about the Nazy's actions
  13. Feb 26, 2014
    I loved this movie, it felt like a throw back to the 1960s WWII adventure action movies. The only drawback were the heavy handed speeches by director/star George.
  14. Feb 24, 2014
    ///sorry for bad english///
    good movie , the truth is not relevant silly jokes , Russians again shows the villains . acting at a high level , the events themselves are quite interesting ,but for an Amateur, many young people do not appreciate say **** , but this is not true ,but the film is not enough actions, but overall a good movie 8 out of 10
  15. Feb 23, 2014
    A group of men who are tasked with recovering stolen art during WWII? A movie with that premise can only be so engaging. However, in The Monuments Men, George Clooney hits mostly high notes in his retelling of a surprisingly exciting and unconventional WWII mission. He combines a simple, straightforward narrative with a distinctly old-timey milieu to weave together an upbeat and whollyA group of men who are tasked with recovering stolen art during WWII? A movie with that premise can only be so engaging. However, in The Monuments Men, George Clooney hits mostly high notes in his retelling of a surprisingly exciting and unconventional WWII mission. He combines a simple, straightforward narrative with a distinctly old-timey milieu to weave together an upbeat and wholly enjoyable experience, akin to a nattily arranged appetizer – barely scrapes the surface of content and value, but delivers its however vapid screenplay with a trademark George Clooney smirk.
    The screenplay is a double-edged sword in The Monuments Men. While it smartly and earnestly approaches a textbook-style recounting of a did-you-know factoid from WWII, it’s sometimes just as boring to watch as the premise suggests. The morsels of action are small, fleeting, and somewhat dispensable, but they succeed in providing sufficient depth to the development of the characters (when Damon’s character accidentally steps on a land mine, the ensuing five minutes offer valuable highlights about the personalities of the “monuments men”). The sprinkled humor rarely fails, but never really makes enough of a statement to be memorable, either. Thankfully, a coating of nostalgic cinema charm and a definitive direction save this somewhat imbalanced screenplay.
    The Monuments Men’s silver lining is its characters; they are all likable and good-humored. At first, Clooney makes a safe attempt when it comes to character development, but he is too timid to delve deep until the second half of the film. The brotherly chemistry between Bill Murray and Bob Balaban is sincere and witty. Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett also play off each other pleasantly. And Hugh Bonneville constructs a passionate and memorable character that is sure to steal your heart. However, George Clooney’s character comes across as aloof and self-entitled throwing an awkward wrench in the brotherhood he attempts to establish between these “monuments men.” We all know Clooney is a better actor than director. But in this film, his character feels more like a flat, cardboard George Clooney life-size cutout than anything.
    Is The Monuments Men a bad film? Not at all. It’s highly improbable that you’ll hear its name anytime at the Grammy’s, but its welcoming atmosphere and intelligent appreciation of the real-life events as well as the value of classic art will make for a pleasant Sunday at the theatres. It maintains a lighthearted mood all throughout. You’ll come away feeling like something important really did happen, but you’ll be at a safe enough distance to not have to worry yourself over it, kind of like reading a dramatic, amateurishly written biography.
  16. Feb 22, 2014
    Unfortunately for Gen X and younger viewers, this is not a special effects, end of the world flick. This is not a Saving Private Ryan or a Schindler's List. It is about a real, historical event or events that focuses on "things" not people.
    There were many teams of art and literature experts, some of them in their 70s, who tried to secure Europe's great treasures. Many treasures were recovered. In salt mines, gold mines. In Southern Germany, Austria. Many were carted off to Russia, to the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, to private estates, and elsewhere, where even now they are not displayed. Many were destroyed by the Nazis. And many remain hidden to this day.
    I disagree with many reviewers' opinions. IMHO, the story is well-told, it is well-paced, and for the most part, the characters are believable. Sometimes "entertainment" may require the viewer to be more introspective about the meaning and purpose of the portrayal. Before one blows off about this "dull, dumb, and boring" movie, perhaps one needs to realize that the things in this flick represent centuries of works of some of the greatest artistic creators. I hope you will have to opportunity, as I have, to stand before the 15th century Ghent Altarpiece and imagine if Hitler/Goering would have succeeded in destroying it and 30 to 40 million other works of art.
  17. Feb 20, 2014
    This movie was considerably more enjoyable than I expected. In some respects, it is an old-fashioned movie based on a little-known group of soldiers who saved many of Europe's great treasures. A friend who attended with me had read the books and said that the film was generally true to what actually happened. The cast is good, and the viewer who appreciates art should enjoy this movie.This movie was considerably more enjoyable than I expected. In some respects, it is an old-fashioned movie based on a little-known group of soldiers who saved many of Europe's great treasures. A friend who attended with me had read the books and said that the film was generally true to what actually happened. The cast is good, and the viewer who appreciates art should enjoy this movie. Be sure to stay through the credits - I believe that they are showing photos of the actual people who are uncovering the Mona Lisa, in one scene. Expand
  18. Feb 17, 2014
    If you're looking for an epic WWII movie, this isn't it. Docudramas rarely are. The Monument's Men is one of those human interest stories that has resurfaced like the art they searched for. Among the lost were not only the epic works of art by the great masters, but also the collectors who never returned from the concentration camps. Everyone who is wanting to see explosions and gun fightsIf you're looking for an epic WWII movie, this isn't it. Docudramas rarely are. The Monument's Men is one of those human interest stories that has resurfaced like the art they searched for. Among the lost were not only the epic works of art by the great masters, but also the collectors who never returned from the concentration camps. Everyone who is wanting to see explosions and gun fights is sure to be disappointed, but for those of us interested in the underlying tales of WWII we are entertained and educated. There are sure to be more compelling stories hidden in the archives but none will be as far reaching. You see The Monument's Men saved generations of culture for the generations saved by the Allies, even if today's generation is to young to appreciate it's importance. Congratulations Columbia Pictures. Expand
  19. Feb 17, 2014
    A Stellar Cast, A Interesting Plot, Historical Accuracy, But Some Underdeveloped Characters And Some Slow Moments Other Than That It's A Fun World War 2 Heist Film
  20. Feb 14, 2014
    Better than what I expected. I walked in expecting to drag through some twilight knockoff, but walked out wanting to see the sequel. I've never read the books, and had no idea what would happen, but it had a good story line, and leaves you wanting more
  21. Feb 10, 2014
    It is a light-handed movie on a serious subject. Somehow it might be a bit too light-handed but the spirit of its people shines through. Enjoy the movie if you're looking for an entertaining evening and want to learn something. Or did you really know about these "Monuments Men?
  22. Feb 9, 2014
    It is a quality movie with a spectacular cast that is completely appropriate. The only problem is that it lacks too much action or comedy. It is basically a lower level drama that talks a lot about art and only has 2 people die.
  23. Feb 9, 2014
    Sometimes the point of a movie is to take you somewhere nobody has gone before, to thrill or chill, but there are other reasons for making a movie. This move memorializes people who were trying to salvage what it means to be human in the midst of inhuman atrocities. Our culture reflects who we are, or even makes us who we are, and this move clearly (and painfully) points this out.

I

I really appreciate that screenwriter, producer and director George Clooney took a balanced approach, mixing painful emotion with humor without resorting to gratuitous violence. Mature, intelligent moviegoers don't need blood splatter everywhere to get it that someone was shot.

People who pan this movie are missing the point. While I am sure there was at least some literary licence, as far as my scant research can tell, they stayed within reasonable sight of the true story. They respected the historical events enough to avoid the temptation of catering to the violence-numbed populous. I respect George Clooney for that. He knows the business well enough to know he was making a "dull" movie, but the story was more important to him than making some extra $$$.

The characters involved were not easy to get to know, but it seems that every actor did a good job in capturing what was known of the personalities (after being filtered through the book...?). There was a lot of talent on the set, but no detectable egos run amok - all the performances seemed professional as works of love and respect. Some could rightfully claim that these were not the best performances of these actors' careers, but I would claim they were among the most dedicated and heartfelt.

I give it a nine instead of a ten because I am rather certain it would have been a better movie if Barbara Hall had not been involved. I'm sure George had his reasons for including her, and we will never really know what it may have been without her (perhaps we can thank her of the absence of the gratuitous violence!)

Anyway, well done. It is an enjoyable look at what may be one of the last unique looks at WWII...
  24. Feb 8, 2014
    As war movies go, the bar was set back when "Saving Private Ryan" shook up the world with what may be the most realistic and horrifying movie about any war ever, so even though Matt Damon is in The Monuments Men" and in a fine cast, don't expect a movie on the caliber of "Pvt. Ryan" or "Apocalypse Now". However, it's still an engaging film, with the focus on saving precious works ofAs war movies go, the bar was set back when "Saving Private Ryan" shook up the world with what may be the most realistic and horrifying movie about any war ever, so even though Matt Damon is in The Monuments Men" and in a fine cast, don't expect a movie on the caliber of "Pvt. Ryan" or "Apocalypse Now". However, it's still an engaging film, with the focus on saving precious works of art from Europe's museums and private collections before Hitler's retreating army can destroy what they don't steal.
    George Clooney is his usual self assured self, but maybe the real joy is seeing John Goodman and Bill Murray take on serious roles, which they've of course done before, adding to their already impressive resumes.
    The story is based on a true story, and it's an engaging one that manages to have some war action, but more focus is paid to the actual paintings and sculptures that could be lost forever, and we leave the movie with more of an appreciation for such works. It's sort of salvaging the creativity and artistic beauty man is capable of out from under the nose of horrifying cruelty, giving a picture of a species that is always walking the perilous line between good and evil, creation and destruction. "The Monument Men" isn't a mind blower, especially in the "Private Ryan" mode, but it's a good story nonetheless, and offers a look at the war many of us probably overlooked.
  25. Feb 8, 2014
    So what if I'm the only one that didn't hate this movie, I enjoyed it! I really did! It has a great cast to start off with, it has a very engaging story premise and it's a WWII movie. What more can you ask for. While the movie doesn't feel completely focused, it still shows sorrow and delves into its subject matter to an extent. Overall, even with its flaws, it's still one that I think isSo what if I'm the only one that didn't hate this movie, I enjoyed it! I really did! It has a great cast to start off with, it has a very engaging story premise and it's a WWII movie. What more can you ask for. While the movie doesn't feel completely focused, it still shows sorrow and delves into its subject matter to an extent. Overall, even with its flaws, it's still one that I think is at least worth checking out. I give it a B! Expand
  26. Feb 8, 2014
    I thought this was very well executed World War II genre adventure, and up to the standards of The Great Escape, Guns of Navarone, and The Dirty Dozen, all-star entertainments that don't pretend to convey any great moral lesson [other than Nazis are Evil and yay we beat them] a notable exception being Bridge on the River Kwai, which was about the high price honor can exact. I found what II thought this was very well executed World War II genre adventure, and up to the standards of The Great Escape, Guns of Navarone, and The Dirty Dozen, all-star entertainments that don't pretend to convey any great moral lesson [other than Nazis are Evil and yay we beat them] a notable exception being Bridge on the River Kwai, which was about the high price honor can exact. I found what I thought were deliberate tips of the hat by Clooney: the main title is in a 60s modern design, the music is that jaunty war-movie type like the kind that predominates in Dozen, and one of the team, the Brit, is played by Hugh Bonneville, who bares an uncanny resemblance to Jack Hawkins in Kwai.

No reviewer I have read has cited what I consider to be one of the movie's greatest strengths: its concision, and I don't just mean its 118 min running time in an age when movies now seem to start at 140 minutes and go up from there. I wasn't using a stop watch, but afterward I had the strong sense that no single sequence ran longer than six minutes, no speech longer than 3. It would very easy to drag out scenes on the grounds of suspense: one early dramatic moment plays like the opening of Inglourious Basterds in reverse: will the retired Nazi be caught in his own cottage? Director/writer Clooney could have shown the serving of an entire meal, while our Nazi continues to sweat; instead, the question is answered in less than 3 minutes [and note the sly references to Basterds in which a Monuments Man asks if the Nazi's wife speaks English].

I always make the same point about genre pictures: of course they are predictable, of course they have to hit a certain number of beats. The question is, how will they do so? To say that Clooney did so "tastefully" is to damn with faint praise; the French despised the Nazi's? Show two women spitting into a a Nazi officer's champagne glass. The art is in danger of being burned? 30 seconds of the biggest blowtorches on film. I will leave out the references to Jews: their very "tastefulness" means they draw you in before you have a chance to marshal your defenses and nowhere to which you can recoil afterward.

Just as there are a million ways to play The Wrong Man accused [from Hitchcock to 12 Angry Men, or, in reverse, The Verdict] or every single romantic comedy [would you really complain that you were two steps ahead of the screenwriters when you figured out the unlikely couple would get together in the end? ] this picture is as notable for both its genre strengths as to the its plainspoken, no nonsense approach to what is still, and one can only hope pray, remains the single darkest chapter of human history. What, have we told that one too often yet?

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Feb 18, 2014
    The problem isn't a lack of weight, but of lightness. It's stuck with lead feet for a historical caper and serves no other worthwhile purpose.
  2. Reviewed by: Paul Bradshaw
    Feb 18, 2014
    An amazing story and an amazing cast don’t always make an amazing film. Too light for drama, not funny enough for comedy; it’s unlikely anyone will ever risk their lives for this.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Feb 8, 2014
    Certainly, the story told by The Monuments Men is worth telling and it's easy to see why a luminary like Clooney would be sufficiently attracted to want to direct it. Unfortunately, this treatment, written by Clooney and long-time collaborator Grant Heslov, isn't the best fit.