The Mummy Returns

2.9

1. Sep 27, 2011
    "The Mummy Returns" returns....This time with terrible acting and a uninspiring plot. Its ultimately your average summer blockbuster.
  2. Nov 2, 2010
    not as good as The Mummy, but the decent acting and the visuals were the only saving grace for this sequel.
  3. Sep 1, 2014
    The Mummy Returns is just so darn entertaining! Nearly as good as the first installment, the film takes us on another adventure through Egypt--one that we won't regret.
  4. Jan 31, 2013
    And continuing the sequel more entertaining of all time, only this time not as entertaining as its first part.
  5. Dec 23, 2012
    Hands-down one of my top five favorite adventure films of all time, "The Mummy Returns" takes all the fun from the first movie - action and humor - and launches it off on a far more epic platform as Rick O' Connell and Evie find themselves trying to track down their young son and the reincarnated Imhotep before he can kill the Scorpion King and unleash hell upon the world. Yeah, I knowHands-down one of my top five favorite adventure films of all time, "The Mummy Returns" takes all the fun from the first movie - action and humor - and launches it off on a far more epic platform as Rick O' Connell and Evie find themselves trying to track down their young son and the reincarnated Imhotep before he can kill the Scorpion King and unleash hell upon the world. Yeah, I know it's all kinda corny and over-the-top, but this movie is just so friggin' entertaining you can't help but love it. Brendan Fraser was the star of the first film for his charm and charisma, and here he delivers more of the same. The chemistry between him and Rachel Weisz is as palpable as ever, the brother is still a good bit of fun, and the son - God, the scenes with the son and Ockna (or whatever his name is) are just hilarious! How can anyone not enjoy this? I never get tired of watching it - "The Mummy Returns" is simply awesome. Expand
  6. Aug 30, 2013
    The film dazzles and entertains, but is not nearly as good as the first film. This film begins to touch on weird things that might have sounded good on paper, but it doesn't translate well to the screen. The acting is good in this film and the action is entertaining. Another good installment.
  7. Feb 16, 2014
    The same things said about Mr. Fraser for the first Mummy move pour over into this one. Again, he can't be taken seriously even if he tries. This movie was a okay sequel to a pretty good first installment, but was nothing special.
    Jul 10, 2005
    More of the first movie, but dumber. Not outright bad, but the movie fails to make itself feel needed.
  9. KarenH.
    Aug 6, 2001
    Awful. Basically no story, no character develops, just special effects. If that's what you like, great. I don't.
  10. DavidD
    Jan 5, 2006
    Again, I hated the "good guys". I so wanted them dead!! The same ole crap with a kid being a total annoying little loser.
  11. ColeL.
    Nov 22, 2001
    Even though this movie tries hard to be a triffle funny, the plan backfires in many ways making the dialouge sound cheessy. But, the last movie had bad action sequences and a to much mumbo-jumbo. This movie really packs a hard punch with a lot of soild action.
  12. NedD.
    Oct 3, 2001
    Definite step down in quality from the original (which wasn't all that amazing to begin with). The film confuses non-stop action sequences with excitement and interest; however, rarely has a so called "rollercoaster-ride" been to indescribably boring.
  13. MattM.
    Jul 27, 2001
    An overly ostentatious summer cheese-fest that is extremely painful to watch. It is in no way rewarding, besides the pretty special effects. But the special effects are the backbone of this otherwise horrendous film. The acting is atrocious, the writing is even more so, and the dialogue is so derisory that it makes even the worst film look like a masterpiece. Bad, bad, bad!
  14. RobC.
    Aug 30, 2001
    Bad!!
  15. TheresaW.
    Oct 14, 2001
    I loved the movie, the action, the good looking men, and the unusal but great women in this movie! I also LOVE The Rock, and can't wait to see him in The Scoprpion King!
  16. TheresaW.
    Oct 14, 2001
  17. Harper
    Oct 2, 2001
    Kill me now!
  18. RyanM.
    May 26, 2001
    This movie is ten times better than its original. The dialogue is bad and most of the jokes are cheesy and unfunny, but the movie's action sequences are so good and the story isn't half bad. If you like action you'll love this. If you didn't like action you'll still like this. It's worth seeing twice for the effects alone.
  19. JoshB.
    Jul 2, 2001
    Good fun. A mindless, action-packed summer flick. You'll enjoy it if you let yourself go.
  20. TroyD.
    Jan 7, 2002
    Not a bad plot, but you cant go wrong with two chicks fighting in swimsuits.
  21. NiciB.
    Mar 1, 2002
    This Movie is about an hour TOO long and is too confusing to follow!
  22. SusanS.
    Apr 19, 2002
    You know, people were talking loudly in the theater during most of the movie, so I missed a lot of the dialogue. But, not surprisingly, it didn't matter. Brendan is a good actor. Why won't he make good movies?
  23. DonP.
    Sep 7, 2002
    Idiotic.
  24. PatC.
    Jan 5, 2004
    Takes off where "The Mummy" left off: Starts at the bottom and goes down.
  25. ZacharyW.
    May 13, 2004
    The Mummmy Returns special effects are awesome and movie was excellent, but they should have gotten rid of the not needed scenes. All together it was an excellent movie. A+
  26. Paolo670
    May 27, 2001
    Very good movie, but the only problem is that I expected something more exciting and fast. Some parts of the movie are too long that people get bored like the bus scene.
  27. MichelleP.
    Oct 12, 2002
    I LOVED this movie. And I'm usually really picky about these kind of movies. But I only recommend it to fans of Egyptian mythology, like me. :)
  28. JayS.
    Jan 19, 2002
    IT was a summer movie! IT was a sequel! I love the Mummy, and loved the sequel. What I don't understand is how certain people complain about movies lacking Oscar-caliber dialogue and a plot so deep you never really understand it. Simply put; it delivered EXACTLY what people wanted, stop looking for a reason to bash movies that are released to please fans and to make money. I hate IT was a summer movie! IT was a sequel! I love the Mummy, and loved the sequel. What I don't understand is how certain people complain about movies lacking Oscar-caliber dialogue and a plot so deep you never really understand it. Simply put; it delivered EXACTLY what people wanted, stop looking for a reason to bash movies that are released to please fans and to make money. I hate ranting but some people... geez. Expand
  29. Feb 15, 2011
    While it's not as good as the first movie it's still a good movie, the characters aren't as enjoyable this go around and neither is the plot, but the humor and action is still here, a good movie from beginning to end.
  30. Mar 2, 2013
    The Mummy Returns is a decent sequel that nicely captures the essence of it's great predecessor. That said, Returns doesn't quite make into the same league as The Mummy. A touch too many action scenes, needless plot complications (everyone seems to a reincarnated version of somebody else) and a smattering of dodgy CGI let the side down a little bit. Still, The Mummy Returns remains a veryThe Mummy Returns is a decent sequel that nicely captures the essence of it's great predecessor. That said, Returns doesn't quite make into the same league as The Mummy. A touch too many action scenes, needless plot complications (everyone seems to a reincarnated version of somebody else) and a smattering of dodgy CGI let the side down a little bit. Still, The Mummy Returns remains a very entertaining second outing. Expand
  31. Jan 24, 2012
    I liked it but the thing about the film is that it has too much action and not enough plot. They sort of took the Michael Bay route where they give you a small amount of plot to satisfy you and they fill the rest of the time with action sequences. It can also be corny at times. It was ok but not as good as the first film.
  32. Sep 25, 2013
    Weak acting with an awful plot. Some-what entertaining and that really saves it in my opinion. Really disappointing considering how good the first film was.

1. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Larry Terenzi
    What matters is that the movie's a blast, right up until its protracted climax.
    Many of the visual effects are stunning, but others are downright cheesy -- especially an attempt to fuse the Rock's head onto a scorpion's body.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    A few billion 1s and 0s in search of a movie.