6.8

1. Jun 2, 2011
    Confession: I am product of the 60's and an aging DeadHead. Verdict: I laughed. I cried. (But so did my gf, who is not a DeadHead.) This film is a tear-jerker in a sometimes melodramatic way, but it may be worth a couple of hours of your time. Even if the father-son relation doesn't grab you, the classic-rock music might.
  2. Mar 23, 2011
    Stunning performances by both J.K. Simmons and Lou Taylor Pucci in this great film of a struggling father/son relationship. The music is amazing. You don't need to be a Dead Head in order to enjoy this movie but it won't hurt.
  3. Jan 25, 2014
    One cannot forget the scene that Gabriel first listened to "all you need is love". Yes, music always takes people to the first time they had heard it; and Lou Taylor Pucci's way of showing it felt so real that made me cry.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Apr 1, 2011
    A medical drama that pays lip service to the healing power of music but never finds the rhythm.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Mar 31, 2011
    The true wonder of this low-budget movie, however, is its acquisition of the rights to so much of the previously mentioned music. It's almost exclusively Dylan and the Dead, but damned if you won't be stopping for some Cherry Garcia ice cream on the way home.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Mar 31, 2011
    A drably directed yet terrifically affecting drama about family bonds, classic rock, and the human brain. It's sentimental, yet so honest and eccentric that it rises above schmaltz.