The Nines

6.9

1. Josh
    Feb 2, 2008
    It's been a while since I've been intrigued by such an original storyline. I watch mainly Mainstream movies, so this one was a little off the beaten path for me, but was not disappointed. Worth every penny.
  2. CJO.
    Feb 17, 2008
    Garbage. If you like video games and have two hours to waste, it's perfect for you. Ryan Reynolds does save the film however with some good acting but the story is so wacky that it makes me wonder if Hollywood writers even deserve to be considered for a raise.
  3. Oct 17, 2010
    It is a clever concept but it isn't presented in the way in which it would of earned a higher rating in my book. The woman in it is especially annoying, if only the man could of used his power as a '9' to get rid of her from the beginning.
  4. DreamW.
    Mar 26, 2008
    I bet everyone 1st thinks drugs and/or schizophrenia. But the avatar concept does work in the end and after 4K years "lost"as a demi-god, I think I'd crack up too. The conscious awareness he gives his "charatcters" in eah 'play' he creates is awesome..and how his wife knows in the end.... threw me off. I vote a high YES. Now, go rent "Dead Man" with Depp. DreamWalkyr
  5. JaredC.
    Sep 3, 2007
    All right, not the greatest of all movies.
  6. ScottR.
    Sep 8, 2007
    I know it's rare and it may even cause some people pain, but watching a movie that gets you to using your noodle is a good thing. You can't just let this one flow over you while you dismiss all logical thought and watch stuff explode. Of course, that can be fun too in the right context, but it shouldn't be the standard by which all movies are compared. Watch this movie. I know it's rare and it may even cause some people pain, but watching a movie that gets you to using your noodle is a good thing. You can't just let this one flow over you while you dismiss all logical thought and watch stuff explode. Of course, that can be fun too in the right context, but it shouldn't be the standard by which all movies are compared. Watch this movie. Then download the commentary from the official website and watch the movie again while listening to it. I dare you! Expand
  7. RossH.
    Dec 3, 2007
    I really enjoyed this film, althogh the topic matter may not be everybody's cup of tea. If you have an interest in existentialism, and video games its well worth the watch, some of the topics covered are very 'in jokes' but if you get them, they're brilliant.
  8. DScott
    Sep 30, 2007
    Wow, really thought-provoking (which is probably why some reviewers didn't get it), well written, and certainly well acted, esp Hope Davis. We talked about this film for hours. One of my favorite films this year.
  9. VeraM.
    Aug 31, 2008
    Intelligent, well acted and catchy : "The Nines" intrigues you all the time, and it doesn´t matter if you don´t like the final twist.
  10. DamonC
    Sep 16, 2007
    I didn't really understand this movie until I started reading the various reviews and blogs, which means, the plots is really opaque, and the resolution on the screen not at all satisfying. I know I'm a Seven, but why would I care if someone's a Nine? There's a whole movie waiting to be made which could be a masterpiece, but it's not this one.
  11. ChadS.
    Feb 11, 2008
    "If man is five/then the devil is six/and if the devil is six/then god is seven," is how the elegant universe worked according to Black Francis, former lead singer of The Pixies, back in 1988 when "alternative" music was still "college" music(in comparison, Limp Bizkit is more like community college rawk) and Buddhists didn't have to share their nirvana with moshers in flannel. "If man is five/then the devil is six/and if the devil is six/then god is seven," is how the elegant universe worked according to Black Francis, former lead singer of The Pixies, back in 1988 when "alternative" music was still "college" music(in comparison, Limp Bizkit is more like community college rawk) and Buddhists didn't have to share their nirvana with moshers in flannel. Earlier in "Monkey Goes to Heaven"(from the album "Doolittle"), Francis talk-sings, "There was an underwater God who controlled the sea," which sounds a lot like Gary/Gavin/Gabriel(Ryan Reynolds), a digital avatar who controls our world, a world in which, man is seven, koala bear is eight, video game-programmer is nine, and god is ten. A better title for "The Nines"; how about "What the #$*! Does John August Know?" According to this "college" film("The Nines" was made for "smart" people; there's a pointed dig at video-game cultists, in a scene where Melissa McCarthy(playing herself) has to overdub some extra dialogue for Gary's pilot), our reality is a simulation program created by some video-game programmer from four-thousands years in the future. If Christians want to count themselves as smart people, they should boycott "The Nines", which is four-thousand times more offensive than Kevin Smith's "Dogma". Smith, at least, acknowledges that there is a God. If "The Nines" is six, then "The Jacket" is seven, and if "The Jacket is seven", "The Matrix" is eight", and if "The Matrix" is eight, then "Primer" is nine, and if "Primer" is nine, then "Existenz" is ten. "...is ten! This movie about string theory has gone to heaven/this movie about string theory has gone to heaven..." Expand
  12. Dec 7, 2014
    This movie is one of the best art piece to make you understand how the cosmos can splitted into shards of conciousness.
    However it is not an easy movie to understand.
    I like the 8s more than the nines :D

1. Reviewed by: Jamie Tipps
    This movie is metaphysical fun, and while some elements are predictable, it’s an engaging mystery.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    The Nines arcs from witty Hollywood insiderdom to a climactic metaphysical leap that may leave many viewers nonplussed. Nonetheless, there's more than enough intelligence, intrigue and performance dazzle to make this an adventuresome gizmo for grownups.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    It's hardly a novel idea, but at least when Kaufman, David Lynch, or Michel Gondry invites us on a tour of his chaotic subconscious, it's a fascinating place to visit. Plunging into August's gray matter is more like a season in vacation hell.